Clunking from rear

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 02:49 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Just to balance out all the stuff on all car forums, which I really appreciate and have found helpfull, our 2013 RDX has not had a single problem in 42,500 miles. You just never know.
Doesn't have any vibration from vcm or noise from rear shocks. Does not burn a drop of oil between 9,000 mile changes. RDX sits for a month and starts right up as well. Like all cars these days it just seems there are lucky ones and cars that were probably put together blindfolded. You just never know.
Keep up the pressure on Acura to fix any problems. I hope they get it eventually.
Old 05-18-2014, 03:16 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by KeithL
I will go out there and predict Acura will never TSB this and may never change the part number. They sell 3-4K RDXs every month so if a few hundred need struts over the year the bean counter factor that in to the equation vs. any proactive resolution. And the same bean counter and product managers say sure we will upset a few customers and lose a few, but we sell 3-4K a month with no decline in sight and are taking market share so what if we lose a few customers as we gained far more. And if you don't think that conversation is or has happend then you do not understand big business.
I'm sure they have this discussion with every problem. You'd hope, unlike GM, that they would fix any safety related problem regardless of cost, but for problems like this that are 'fit and finish' rather than 'function' they may just think it is easier to only fix cars that customers complain about. But one thing that is hard for the bean counter to count is the hit to their reputation. To the additional number of problem reports that find their way into JD Powers and CR reviews. It takes a long time to earn a solid reputation, it takes a short time to loose it. Reliability is one of the biggest things Acura has going for it. If that drops then that is one less reason to buy their cars.

I'm not sure this would stop me from buying an RDX even knowing about it. I'd plan to replace them with aftermarket dampers. But it really affects my opinion of Acura in a very negative way. Unless and until Acura treats their cars as luxury cars, it is hard for their customers to think of them as a luxury brand. Service after the sale has to be luxury too and it seems they are not committed to that.
The following users liked this post:
hand-filer (05-19-2014)
Old 05-21-2014, 05:58 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In my case the 2 new OE rear shocks have been very tight. I drove the vehicle from Atlanta to the Florida Gulf coast and back in quiet comfort. It should not have taken 3 visits to fix. I have a base FWD version and have had no driveline, VCM, or other issues with the vehicle. I don't miss any of the other gadgets except for passenger seat height adjustment. So far I would definitely consider another RDX, or maybe a TLX if I wasn't already so pleased with the new Accord.
Old 05-22-2014, 12:18 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi. New member, current owner of a 2011 MDX and close to purchasing a 2015 RDX. Can I assume that the shock issue has not been resolved in the 2015 model yet? It will absolutely drive me nuts if my new RDX starts clunking over bumps. Since the vibration issue has a TSB I would think that issue is most likely corrected on the new year models. I did test drive one on some bad roads and did not notice any sounds from the suspension. I normally don't get too concerned when reading about new car issues, but these two issues seem to show up in every RDX forum. Advice appreciated.
Old 05-22-2014, 07:29 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts
I don't think any of us can confirm that it has been addressed but one would think that after 3 years it should be.
I know all about the driving me nuts equation as I have lived it.
I would take the gamble if I were you because the vehicle is otherwise solid and you can always do the 2012 RDX shock swap like I and another member on this forum have done. It works!

Acura addressed the driveshaft issue fairly quickly so I can only speculate that the shock issue is a major one involving a lot of money and contractual obligations with Sachs. Too bad, Acura's reputation is taking quite a hit from this.

If your in the negotiation process, tell the dealer you want it in writing that they will install a set of 2012 shocks on your car if you end up having issues.
Old 05-22-2014, 07:37 AM
Pro

Received 109 Likes on 87 Posts
Hand-Filer,
This is a brilliant idea. When you buy the car, and the dealer then asks you if you want any add-ons, it will go like this:
1.) Paint Sealant and fabric protectant
2.) Wheel damage protection
3.) Extended warranty
4.) Prepaid service contracts
5.) Roof rack & rails
6.) Upgraded Rear Shocks
Old 05-22-2014, 08:28 AM
Burning Brakes

^^^
Old 05-22-2014, 02:10 PM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by hand-filer
^^^
Handfiler I know your 2012 shocks fixed the clunking, do you think they are also quieter than the Sachs (when they are "good")? Thx
Old 05-22-2014, 08:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mdfree
Handfiler I know your 2012 shocks fixed the clunking, do you think they are also quieter than the Sachs (when they are "good")? Thx
Absolutely. They filter out most of the low frequency(thumps, drumming)noises that transfer through the Sachs shocks.
mdfree (05-22-2014)
Old 05-23-2014, 01:04 PM
Pro

My KYB's have shipped. By next week I should have a quiet vehicle. I don't understand it. The 2011, 2012, 2013 all have the same lower suspension arm, and the shocks bolt up in the same location. Why doesn't Acura just substitute the 2012 shocks? There have been no major complaints about them.
Old 05-23-2014, 04:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Well visit 3 to dealer for rear suspension. They had already replaced the right strut and finally realize the left strut needs to be replaced, as I suspect the right was fine all along. If that rear make another peep after that then I will order the KYB shocks and give them a try.
Old 05-24-2014, 07:41 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The whole crappy suspension thing is enough to make me have remorse over buying my Rdx. I have had my fill of passengers asking what that noise is. I have had one side raced and I am headed back on gain.

Very disappointing.
Old 05-29-2014, 08:19 PM
Cruisin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My replacement KYBs will be installed tomorrow. Can't wait, and hope to have positive things to report tomorrow evening...
Old 05-30-2014, 05:34 AM
Summer is Coming

Originally Posted by rosen39
My KYB's have shipped. By next week I should have a quiet vehicle. I don't understand it. The 2011, 2012, 2013 all have the same lower suspension arm, and the shocks bolt up in the same location. Why doesn't Acura just substitute the 2012 shocks? There have been no major complaints about them.
Because then they would be removing this feature from the car....

"Amplitude Reactive Dampers feature two piston valves per damper (a.k.a. shock absorber) rather than one. The main valve reacts to help absorb minor road vibration, while the second one is stiffer, reigning in a larger suspension motion for improved stability."

All they need to do is stomp on the neck of Sachs until they get them a design that works. But for whatever reason they won't. I'm afraid this same damper will show up on the TLX. That would be a real shame for Acura to put the same defective parts on almost their entire line up. Would they actually let this happen? At one time I would have said 'no way' now I would not put any stupid move past Acura.
Old 05-30-2014, 07:38 AM
Pro

I'm putting my KYB's on tonight. These stock units are a disgrace.
Old 05-30-2014, 07:53 AM
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocket_man
Because then they would be removing this feature from the car....

"Amplitude Reactive Dampers feature two piston valves per damper (a.k.a. shock absorber) rather than one. The main valve reacts to help absorb minor road vibration, while the second one is stiffer, reigning in a larger suspension motion for improved stability."

All they need to do is stomp on the neck of Sachs until they get them a design that works. But for whatever reason they won't. I'm afraid this same damper will show up on the TLX. That would be a real shame for Acura to put the same defective parts on almost their entire line up. Would they actually let this happen? At one time I would have said 'no way' now I would not put any stupid move past Acura.
In a nut shell. ILX owner here, and last time Acura owner.
Old 05-30-2014, 08:31 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
^^ It is a disgrace that Acura has allowed this to happen! I am with Rocket_man in that I have lost hope that Acura understands what is a good business sense. Why have they allowed these cheap and ineffective dampers to make it on their vehicles is mind boggling! Luckily for ILX and RDX owners, there are parts available to swap these piece of crap by SACHS and bring the noise level to an acceptable level.

Its sad that people have to buy after market parts on a brand new vehicle but holding for Acura/Sachs to solve this problem is like waiting on a miracle....
Rocket_man (05-31-2014)
Old 05-30-2014, 11:34 AM
Suzuka Master

Well gf's 14 RDX just had left strut done now after the right one was done 2 weeks ago and so far so good. If it makes noise again then I will put KYBs in. It is a disgrace as said that Acura has let this go one this long, but my guess, as I have previously mentioned, is they sell 50K RDXs a year so if a few hundred need struts it is part of the equation.
Old 05-30-2014, 11:51 AM
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
Rear shocks and VCM

I'm putting my KYB's on tonight. These stock units are a disgrace.
Let us know how it goes with the replacement shocks. I live here in Miami (warm weather all year long) and I have lately found my shocks very noisy (drum like noise) and bad (stiff/noisy) in pothole filled roads. When I cross these rounded speed bumps [faster than normal] the rear side of the RDX jumps and I hear a clank noise.

I drive a FWD Tech model and have felt the VCM from day 1; I have taken my car to the dealers 3 times and I always get the 'normal specs'.
I have no idea if this VCM noise is related to the phases of the moon or the position of the earth around the sun but I didnt feel it much for a couple of months [i thought it was gone for good] and now it has come back to accompany me in my solitude. When I heard that there was a TSB to address this issue I proceeded to print it out and showed to my dealer; well, they basically laughed in my face and dismissed it, subtly suggesting that it could be "all in my head" as this TSB only applies to AWD vehicles.

I might try the KYB RDX 2012 replacement shocks but I dont have an idea what to do about the VCM noise. Well, there is always the new F-sport Lexus NX 200T or Lincoln MKC 2.3T ... if you know what Iamsaying
Old 05-30-2014, 11:58 AM
Suzuka Master

mindanalyser....I am not sure I have experienced the VCM noise....for me, it was just a subtle shudder as the engine would drop or reengage its full cylinders. I am not aware that some were experiencing noise with that.

As far as the noise for the rear shocks, now THAT is an annoyance.

BTW....If the dealer is telling you that VCM is a problem with the AWD only, then I am not sure I'd bring my RDX there again. The AWD had had some problem with the propeller shaft and that has been making some subtle noise and vibration too....But only the AWD has the propeller shaft.
mindanalyzer (06-19-2014)
Old 05-30-2014, 12:07 PM
Instructor

maybe I didnt word it correctly. This TSB addresses a vibration caused by the propeller shaft (AWD models) that is related to the VCM. The vibration apparently happens due the original design of the propeller shaft when the VCM kicks in.
When I heard that there was a TSB for the VCM-related vibration, I thought that my VCM noise/subtle vibration was going to be addressed but that was not the case. In my particular case it could be a problem related to the e-mounts (I mentioned to the service representative but he didnt say a word) or something else
Old 05-30-2014, 12:10 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by weather
mindanalyser....I am not sure I have experienced the VCM noise....for me, it was just a subtle shudder as the engine would drop or reengage its full cylinders. I am not aware that some were experiencing noise with that.

As far as the noise for the rear shocks, now THAT is an annoyance.

BTW....If the dealer is telling you that VCM is a problem with the AWD only, then I am not sure I'd bring my RDX there again. The AWD had had some problem with the propeller shaft and that has been making some subtle noise and vibration too....But only the AWD has the propeller shaft.

maybe "your subtle shudder" = "my VCM noise". It simply bothers me
Old 05-30-2014, 12:20 PM
Instructor

BTW My last vehicle was a 2009 chevy avalanche LTZ with VCM and in the 3 years I owned it I never felt when the VCM was kicking in (totally seamless)
Old 05-30-2014, 01:24 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by mindanalyzer
BTW My last vehicle was a 2009 chevy avalanche LTZ with VCM and in the 3 years I owned it I never felt when the VCM was kicking in (totally seamless)
Ha, Ha. Maybe it was never working.
Old 05-30-2014, 02:34 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by mindanalyzer
maybe "your subtle shudder" = "my VCM noise". It simply bothers me
Its quite possible and although mine was subtle, I am not disclaiming your problem as I know that no two vehicles are exactly the same so its possible that your VCM was less subtle than mine.

Thanks for the clarification....I hope they solve your situation as its never fun paying for a vehicle we don't fully enjoy/appreciate. :
Old 05-30-2014, 03:19 PM
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
I can sometimes feel the slight shudder and other times can't. It doesn't bother me in the least as I realize that all these new technologies to get us better MPG are probably going to affect the driving experience a little bit and is a small price to pay for the excellent gas mileage these things get. Same with electric steering. It's not as "natural feeling" but it saves gas and it steers the car very well with little to no wandering. I have no problem with it either but some people hate it. Cars are changing folks and I think we have to expect subtle differences in the way a car feels and sounds sometimes. Now, having said that, if the sound or feeling is worse than what other RDXs are experiencing it may be an actual fixable problem.

And rear shocks/struts are not a new tech to save gas and should be addressed by Acura.
Old 05-31-2014, 04:26 AM
Summer is Coming

Well gf's 14 RDX just had left strut done now after the right one was done 2 weeks ago and so far so good. If it makes noise again then I will put KYBs in. It is a disgrace as said that Acura has let this go one this long, but my guess, as I have previously mentioned, is they sell 50K RDXs a year so if a few hundred need struts it is part of the equation.
I doubt it is only a few hundred. Hard to draw exact numbers from the people who post here, but I'd guess it is 1,000's per year at least if not way more. Many people here have had theirs replaced only to have the same problem, so I'm guessing a fairly large percentage of them are defective. They are counting on the fact that most people just won't push it too far, but I bet a lot of them are like Spirited_Driver who make a mental note... "Never another Acura" and tell their friends all about it. Again, such an easy thing to fix, just fix it Acura!
Old 05-31-2014, 02:57 PM
Pro

The KYB's are installed, and the noise is gone. I took the car over one of the bumpiest roads near my house, and all I heard was the rubber tires going over the pavement. No banging from the back. The ride seems to be much better on regular pavement.
For $116 from PartsGeek.com, the problems solved and it was worth it. I'll keep the car. i would have hated to take a kick in the ass trading the car in, but I could not stand the banging.
The following 4 users liked this post by rosen39:
hand-filer (05-31-2014), Rocket_man (06-01-2014), TNTransplant (06-01-2014), weather (05-31-2014)
Old 05-31-2014, 09:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Right on, welcome to the club.
The KYB's are installed, and the noise is gone.
Old 05-31-2014, 09:46 PM
Suzuka Master

I am about ready to order the KYB shocks, as both shocks were repaced in last 2 weeks and already I hear some noise. What a joke Acura with this stuff. 2+ years into the model run and still no official fix in sight!
Old 05-31-2014, 09:47 PM
Suzuka Master

The KYB's are installed, and the noise is gone. I took the car over one of the bumpiest roads near my house, and all I heard was the rubber tires going over the pavement. No banging from the back. The ride seems to be much better on regular pavement.
For $116 from PartsGeek.com, the problems solved and it was worth it. I'll keep the car. i would have hated to take a kick in the ass trading the car in, but I could not stand the banging.
What was the part number of the shocks you ordered? I am about ready to do the same. Did you change them yourself?
Old 05-31-2014, 10:18 PM
Pro

KeithL, they are KYB Excel-G part #349095. Just look up a 2012 RDX rear shock. You have your choice of a Munroe, or a KYB. The instructions that are in the box are poor. I had to call tech support and they got back to me right away. The shock has the jounce bumper and dust boot installed on the shock. The next thing to put on is the "flat" washer, then the steel sleeve, and one of the rubber mounts. The "narrow" end of each rubber mount goes against each washer, and the wide end goes against the body mount of the car. Install the shock on the car. From the inside of the car, install the other rubber mount, then the "cupped" washer with the cupped side facing down against the rubber mount. Then the nut goes on last. You will need a 5mm allen wrench to hold the shaft while you tighten the nut. When both washers are tightened against the sleeve you put on, then the upper mount is tight. From another web sight, they said to torque the lower shock bolt to 76 foot pounds with the weight of the car resting on the suspension arm (put a jack stand under the lower arm, and then lower the car). It is not like replacing a "strut", it's just a plain old shock absorber.

Last edited by rosen39; 05-31-2014 at 10:22 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by rosen39:
KeithL (06-01-2014), TNTransplant (06-01-2014)
Old 05-31-2014, 10:27 PM
Instructor

question

one simple question:

would I get rid of the drum-like noise in the presence of potholes and the such by replacing the rear shock absorbers or do I also need to replace the front ones?
Old 05-31-2014, 10:36 PM
Pro

Replacing the rear shocks gets rid of the noise that sounds like the suspension is "bottoming out". It's almost like the sound of a muffler banging against the floor of the car. My front struts are ok.
Old 06-01-2014, 07:33 AM
Suzuka Master

Rosen39,

Thanks! I am so done with gf's RDX and these crappy rear suspension. We have owned 10 Acura products since 2004 and they still treat you like you bought a used civic. For me, as much as I would like to come back to a TLX I do not trust Acuar right now. When I get bored with my A6 in the next year I may go back to Infiniti or try out the new Genesis.
Old 06-01-2014, 02:34 PM
Burning Brakes

I wouldn't recommend using the Monroe's. Third world build quality. I had the opportunity to see them up close and they are crap.

KeithL, they are KYB Excel-G part #349095. Just look up a 2012 RDX rear shock. You have your choice of a Munroe, or a KYB.
Old 06-01-2014, 04:15 PM
Summer is Coming

I am about ready to order the KYB shocks, as both shocks were repaced in last 2 weeks and already I hear some noise. What a joke Acura with this stuff. 2+ years into the model run and still no official fix in sight!
See, in your case 4 for 4 are defective, I doubt the total population of struts is much different. The vast majority of people are just quietly putting up with it. That is what Acura is counting on. They don't seem to care much about this issue or the quality of their cars or the opinion it leaves with customers. They just think there will always be more customers whenever one leaves. Maybe that is the case, but wouldn't it be better to keep the customers they already have.

I knew with BMW I might have problems and I did. But they always fixed them.
Old 06-01-2014, 04:16 PM
Summer is Coming

KeithL, they are KYB Excel-G part #349095. Just look up a 2012 RDX rear shock. You have your choice of a Munroe, or a KYB. The instructions that are in the box are poor. I had to call tech support and they got back to me right away. The shock has the jounce bumper and dust boot installed on the shock. The next thing to put on is the "flat" washer, then the steel sleeve, and one of the rubber mounts. The "narrow" end of each rubber mount goes against each washer, and the wide end goes against the body mount of the car. Install the shock on the car. From the inside of the car, install the other rubber mount, then the "cupped" washer with the cupped side facing down against the rubber mount. Then the nut goes on last. You will need a 5mm allen wrench to hold the shaft while you tighten the nut. When both washers are tightened against the sleeve you put on, then the upper mount is tight. From another web sight, they said to torque the lower shock bolt to 76 foot pounds with the weight of the car resting on the suspension arm (put a jack stand under the lower arm, and then lower the car). It is not like replacing a "strut", it's just a plain old shock absorber.
This and some pictures would make for a great DIY thread.
Old 06-01-2014, 05:35 PM
Pro

This is a great time to tell me you want pictures (ha, ha). I'm not going to pull mine out to take pictures. I am in the greater Boston area, and anyone that wants a hand changing their shocks, we can take pictures at my house replacing the defective units. Here is a link with pictures on 1st generation RDX shock replacement. Very similar:
https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-rdx-diy-faq-161/diy-replace-leaking-rear-damper-shock-absorber-794969/

The washer on top should not have the "cupped" side facing up. I also had to use an extension on the breaker bar to remove the lower bolts. Someone really over tightened those bolts.

Last edited by rosen39; 06-01-2014 at 05:38 PM.
Rocket_man (06-01-2014)
Old 06-01-2014, 05:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 464 Likes on 198 Posts
I haven't followed this thread or issue closely, but to all who are upset by it, no worries. Our 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport 2.0T has the same clunking.

It's a 2013/2014 SUV trend lol

Quick Reply: Clunking from rear