Clunking from rear

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 12:27 PM
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by carreracup03
I installed the KYBs tonight on my 2015 RDX. The sound is completely gone and the car drives as it should. The shocks are definitely the problem and easily solved with the KYB replacement. I was sick of arguing with them .. and took about 45 mins to install.
Where did you get them and what part number?
Old 03-19-2015, 12:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts
It's in this thread somewhere but here you go:
KYB Part # 349095
Rock Auto has about the best price you'll find.

Last edited by hand-filer; 03-19-2015 at 12:45 PM.
The following users liked this post:
markAZ (03-19-2015)
Old 03-19-2015, 01:48 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 276 Likes on 180 Posts
Originally Posted by hand-filer
If put in a situation where I had to own and maintain a 10 year old Volkswagen or a 10 year old Acura, I'd take the Acura.
A lot of people would - myself included given that Acura made darn good cars 10 years ago and VW did not. I might have a different answer ten years from now, however. But I'm not sure what that has to do with Acura ignoring an obvious design problem and their poor customer service ratings.

Last edited by HotRodW; 03-19-2015 at 01:53 PM.
Old 03-19-2015, 02:30 PM
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
I installed the KYBs tonight on my 2015 RDX. The sound is completely gone and the car drives as it should. The shocks are definitely the problem and easily solved with the KYB replacement. I was sick of arguing with them .. and took about 45 mins to install.
All 4 or just one pair?
Old 03-19-2015, 02:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by HotRodW
A lot of people would - myself included given that Acura made darn good cars 10 years ago and VW did not. I might have a different answer ten years from now, however. But I'm not sure what that has to do with Acura ignoring an obvious design problem and their poor customer service ratings.
Just my way of saying thanks for stating the obvious.
Old 03-19-2015, 04:43 PM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Just the rears. Part number as hand filer said. I got mine on amazon prime like $60 ish.

Totally fixed the problem. Other than this I love the car.

Surprising Acura not fixing it. Really easy fix. I think they all have the problem. Just think it bothers some people more than others.
Old 03-19-2015, 04:54 PM
tal
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Some users have complained of a harsher ride when they did this fix.

How was your ride after the install?
Old 03-19-2015, 05:05 PM
10th Gear

I do not think it has a rougher or harsher ride. I would say the same without the noise.
Old 03-19-2015, 05:11 PM
Pro

So, is the front macpherson? Or are the springs and shocks separate?
Old 03-19-2015, 06:07 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Joe Las Vegas
So, is the front macpherson? Or are the springs and shocks separate?
Yes the front are struts and don't seem to be an issue from a noise perspective.
Old 03-19-2015, 06:12 PM
Burning Brakes

I do not think it has a rougher or harsher ride. I would say the same without the noise.
My only complaint with them and not a major issue is that they do become quite stiff in the coldest of winter months. It's an issue at my geographical latitude due to the extreme cold and the terrible road conditions.
Old 03-19-2015, 06:22 PM
10th Gear

25 degrees in ny today and they were great. In the extreme cold the oem ones were very stiff and noise was worse.
Old 03-19-2015, 09:16 PM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Yes the front are struts and don't seem to be an issue from a noise perspective.
Unless they go bad and then they sound horrible. I've had both rears and both fronts replaced (although only one was bad on each, the dealer was nice to replace them in pairs). So far nice and quiet again
Old 03-20-2015, 03:54 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
My only complaint with them and not a major issue is that they do become quite stiff in the coldest of winter months. It's an issue at my geographical latitude due to the extreme cold and the terrible road conditions.
Did you consider this Monroe Shock for the rear? It seems to have similar dual damping like the OEM shock. This one is for the 2012 model. They don't make one for the new gen. But I think the KYB is the same.

MONROE SHOCKS & STRUTS :: e-Catalog
Old 03-20-2015, 02:19 PM
Burning Brakes

I did. The lower mount is welded on at an angle rather than perpendicular to the length of the shock. I'm not sure why it's designed this way but that aside the build quality is inferior to the KYB's. Some of the worst automated welds I've seen on a shock or anything mass produced for that matter.

Originally Posted by Rocket_man
Did you consider this Monroe Shock for the rear? It seems to have similar dual damping like the OEM shock. This one is for the 2012 model. They don't make one for the new gen. But I think the KYB is the same.

MONROE SHOCKS & STRUTS :: e-Catalog
Rocket_man (03-20-2015)
Old 05-11-2015, 06:38 AM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Add me to the data base of this problem. Mine is a 2014 that I bought new in Oct 2013. It currently has 22,000 km on it (13,6700 miles). With in the first year I noticed a clunking from the left rear, and an overall bouncing launching of vehicle car over undulations or sections of road with small rough surfaces. Its not the smooth big bumps, rather the small quick hits that causes the clunk.

The big issue is at highway speeds, it tends to launch the car all over the road and feels very dangerous and uncontrolled. I always attributed it to the shocks as being a substandard quality. I just came back from a road trip to Calgary. Well in Calgary the right started clunking and really bad. So much so I was worried something may fall off, or break. I could not believe it could get this bad. On the ride home it felt nervous and uncontrolled to drive when ever we hit rough sections.

I'll call Acura today, and hopefully they know of this issue, and can fix it. Reading here it does sound like its still a hit or miss fix. I have to go to Calgary again next weekend, and I'm already planning to take the other car cause this RDX is just annoying and dangerous.
Old 05-11-2015, 07:10 AM
Instructor

Using the KYB Part number referenced here (349095) Amazon said it does not fit the 2014 RDX, however it does fit the 2012 RDX.

I had read earlier in this thread, the 2 gens use the same shock? Strange Amazon would indicate it does not fit.

KYB 349095 Excel-G OE Replacement Shock: Amazon.ca: Automotive KYB 349095 Excel-G OE Replacement Shock: Amazon.ca: Automotive
Old 05-11-2015, 09:35 AM
Burning Brakes

That's because it's a different design intended for 2012 and older RDX's. It also happens to be the same length with the same mounting attachments and dimensions. If you don't mind a firmer ride it will bolt right on and get rid of the noise.

Originally Posted by ViperZ
Using the KYB Part number referenced here (349095) Amazon said it does not fit the 2014 RDX, however it does fit the 2012 RDX.

I had read earlier in this thread, the 2 gens use the same shock? Strange Amazon would indicate it does not fit.

KYB 349095 Excel-G OE Replacement Shock: Amazon.ca: Automotive
ViperZ (05-11-2015)
Old 05-11-2015, 05:40 PM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
I may have missed it, but does the 2016 still use the same old Sachs shock?
Old 05-11-2015, 06:58 PM
Burning Brakes

From what I've read they have reinforced the shock mounting points. No idea on the shocks.

Originally Posted by mdfree
I may have missed it, but does the 2016 still use the same old Sachs shock?
Old 05-11-2015, 07:02 PM
Instructor

That's because it's a different design intended for 2012 and older RDX's. It also happens to be the same length with the same mounting attachments and dimensions. If you don't mind a firmer ride it will bolt right on and get rid of the noise.

Right, Thanks!

Took the RDX into Acura Center in Saskatoon, they had replaced the rear shocks in 1 hour, gave me a call and said it was ready. The RDX almost feels like new again! I'm thinking the fronts aren't as tight as the rears now, but it feels way better now. This is a known problem I was told.

Kudos to Acura for making it right so fast! Hopefully it lasts, longer than 22,000 kms, or I will be looking for a suspension upgrade.
Old 05-21-2015, 06:28 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Dealer fixed the issue.Replaced the rear shocks

I took my 2013 RDX (11760 miles) into the dealer due to a gurgling noise,when driving slowly (10-20 mph) on imperfect pavement. The noise was driving the wife nuts, so had to get it fixed.
A mechanic took a quick drive with me, around the block and he said immediately "I know that noise...its the rear shocks". I asked if this is a known problem, and he said "no, but i know what that causes that noise"
I did not want to continue this conversation, since figure this was a known issue, if he was so familiar with this noise.
Long story short,the noise is now gone after replacing both rear shocks. The only difference i noticed while driving home, is that the noise is gone.
Old 05-23-2015, 06:22 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am on my third set of rear shocks on my 2014 Rdx with 27000 on the clock. I tried the aftermarket shocks but did not like the ride quality in the cold in Minnesota. I am due for a new truck next year I sure hope that this has been addressed in the new model year. I really like my Rdx but this has been a real sore spot for me with the rear shock issue.
Old 05-23-2015, 08:17 PM
Burning Brakes

^^^
Pretty much mirrors my thoughts and experience right down to the third set of rear shocks situation. This will likely be my first and last Acura.
Old 05-24-2015, 02:51 PM
Pro

^^^
Pretty much mirrors my thoughts and experience right down to the third set of rear shocks situation. This will likely be my first and last Acura.
Did you go stock or KYB? If you go stock you're just delaying the problem over and over again.
Old 05-24-2015, 03:27 PM
Intermediate

Clunking from rear

I leave in Arizona, had a 2014 RDX with clunking from rear the Dealer changed both rear shocks to get rid of the clunking in the rear.
Old 05-24-2015, 06:45 PM
Burning Brakes

I'm the person that did the research on them as well as the first to try them.
If you have a 200 pound load in the back they ride nice.

Originally Posted by Joe Las Vegas
Did you go stock or KYB? If you go stock you're just delaying the problem over and over again.
Old 05-24-2015, 09:12 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Received 432 Likes on 299 Posts
My wife and I drove our '13 AWD Tech through 3 winters in Colorado. Only felt/heard the rear shock issue in the really cold temps. Not when it warmed up. Traded yesterday for our AWD Advance. While at my dealer I asked about the shock issue. He said overall their complaints received were mostly with the ride/noise during the winter months. They replaced them when anyone complained...but, with the same shocks since that was still available.

Personally it didn't drive me away from buying my '16. Or walk away from Acura...like some people have said here. Man, IF that is truly a reason....then you better talk to Mercedes owners, BMW owners, Porsche owners.....they have tons of "something" really not right with those cars too. I've talked to many of them.

So, the shocks were not right...the dual valving was not right for colder climates. I'll know if they are better this coming winter. Have to check IF these shocks are the exact same as my '13's.
Old 05-24-2015, 11:17 PM
Pro

Received 109 Likes on 87 Posts
I've owned a Lexus and a Mercedes and I have not had "tons of something" going wrong with them. In fact, I have not had anything go wrong with them. The problem with Acura is a mindset of walking around with "blinders on". When something is as bad as a shock absorber design (and this thread is now 16 pages long to prove it), then you re-design it and fix the problem. They would rather keep slapping the same old design back on our cars, and hope we would be satisfied. Yes, some of us do drive in colder climates. Man up...........admit there is a problem.........and fix the problem. Until then, the smart people will spend $120, get an aftermarket shock (like KYB), install them, and move on with their lives. Lesson learned. Lets see what car I spend my money on the next time.
The following 2 users liked this post by rosen39:
hand-filer (05-25-2015), Rocket_man (05-25-2015)
Old 05-25-2015, 12:36 AM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Originally Posted by rosen39
I've owned a Lexus and a Mercedes and I have not had "tons of something" going wrong with them. In fact, I have not had anything go wrong with them. The problem with Acura is a mindset of walking around with "blinders on". When something is as bad as a shock absorber design (and this thread is now 16 pages long to prove it), then you re-design it and fix the problem. They would rather keep slapping the same old design back on our cars, and hope we would be satisfied. Yes, some of us do drive in colder climates. Man up...........admit there is a problem.........and fix the problem. Until then, the smart people will spend $120, get an aftermarket shock (like KYB), install them, and move on with their lives. Lesson learned. Lets see what car I spend my money on the next time.

No disrespect...but, I could car less what you buy or drive. There are NO KYB shocks made for the RDX....those were "rigged" to fit, but, they are very stiff and incorrect for the vehicle....so, truly no better. Rides like a tank in the winter. So...man up and learn before you judge or make weird statements. I buy what I need when I need them.

Lived in So. California for 23 yrs....home of the most Mercedes, BMW's, Porsches' etc, that you will ever see. During that time I learned what holds up. Never said ALL of them....but, too many of them have problems greater than shocks. Lexus...they do have a great reputation. Other's do not for reliability. I worked the car world with my best friend and a car dealer. He has been in the business over 30 yrs. Personally he has owned them all...able to afford any car he wanted...and has owned many. We learned what makes were in the "shop" way too much of the time and the costs for upkeep...reputations are NOT good for many. He gave up on BMW's due to quality issues and cost of upkeep. Same with Mercedes. He'd try and talk people out of buying them....and did like Lexus vehicles.

The "16 pages" here is full of repeat after repeat from the same people...enjoying their time hidden behind the keyboard and over and over again repeating the same story.

So...go buy your Mercedes (mistake!)...better Lexus, and why bother trolling the Acura site? NO...did you step down and bought an Acura at some point? Oh my, how middle income of you!
Old 05-25-2015, 05:38 AM
Pro

KYB's were not "rigged" to fit. They are made to go on the 2012 RDX, and if you check, the rear suspensions are the same. I live in New England, and do not find the shocks "harsh" in the winter (not a weird statement).

I am far from being a "Troll". Sixteen pages (this being one of the most active topics) on a subject do have repeat commentaries, but you will admit, this is the "weak link" in the 2nd generation RDX. Too many people have had the same problem. I have had three sets of Acura/Sachs rear shocks, and even the dealer said they are all bad. That my friend, is a fact.

I did not step down from an RDX-350 to the Acura RDX to be "middle class". I bought the RDX for the performance aspect. The RDX out accelerated and out handled the Lexus when I test drove them. That was a deciding factor in my purchase.

Now let's talk cost to own on the RDX. One of my beefs with Acura is that they are a little aggressive on their maintenance. Here are some prices from a local dealer's repair menu:

A1 at approx 6,000 miles $70
B1 at approx 12,000 miles $176
A16 at approx 19,000 miles $230
B123 at approx 26,000 miles $557

Here are scheduled maintenance costs in a two year period for $1,033 if the owner did not do the maintenance themselves. I had the dealer do the first oil change and the third service was done as a courtesy by Acura (for my issues on the shocks). The other two I did myself. (Yes CGAFR, I do know my cars and I do know how to turn a wrench.)

Cost of Volvo maintenance for 3 years/36K = $0
Cost of BMW maintenance for 4 years/50K = $0
Cost of Lexus fist maintenance = $0

Even General Motors was throwing in two years of scheduled maintenance.

Step up........step down..........you decide.

Last edited by rosen39; 05-25-2015 at 05:48 AM.
hand-filer (05-25-2015)
Old 05-26-2015, 03:50 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

KYB's were not "rigged" to fit. They are made to go on the 2012 RDX, and if you check, the rear suspensions are the same. I live in New England, and do not find the shocks "harsh" in the winter (not a weird statement).

I am far from being a "Troll". Sixteen pages (this being one of the most active topics) on a subject do have repeat commentaries, but you will admit, this is the "weak link" in the 2nd generation RDX. Too many people have had the same problem. I have had three sets of Acura/Sachs rear shocks, and even the dealer said they are all bad. That my friend, is a fact.

I did not step down from an RDX-350 to the Acura RDX to be "middle class". I bought the RDX for the performance aspect. The RDX out accelerated and out handled the Lexus when I test drove them. That was a deciding factor in my purchase.

Now let's talk cost to own on the RDX. One of my beefs with Acura is that they are a little aggressive on their maintenance. Here are some prices from a local dealer's repair menu:

A1 at approx 6,000 miles $70
B1 at approx 12,000 miles $176
A16 at approx 19,000 miles $230
B123 at approx 26,000 miles $557

Here are scheduled maintenance costs in a two year period for $1,033 if the owner did not do the maintenance themselves. I had the dealer do the first oil change and the third service was done as a courtesy by Acura (for my issues on the shocks). The other two I did myself. (Yes CGAFR, I do know my cars and I do know how to turn a wrench.)

Cost of Volvo maintenance for 3 years/36K = $0
Cost of BMW maintenance for 4 years/50K = $0
Cost of Lexus fist maintenance = $0

Even General Motors was throwing in two years of scheduled maintenance.

Step up........step down..........you decide.

OK...Mr. techy guy...who seems to know it all. There are NO KYB shocks made to fit the '13 and up RDX's. YES, I KNOW about the KYB's for the '12. NOT made for the 2nd Gen. That's a fact. Do your homework and how the people here had to "rig" the '12 RDX KYB's to work. They are NOT truly meant for the suspension of the 2nd Gen. and ride too hard. Even the folks who "rigged" them admit to that.

So what on service! That's Acura's "advertised" costs for A1, B1 etc. I've never paid those prices. You have to learn how to negotiate costs. Apparently you do not. Also, there is absolutely NO reason you have to go to Acura for any of those services!! I go to my Honda dealer, that I know very well. One person....the shop lead and top Honda certified tech. does all my work and service...even though he normally doesn't do service work...he does for me! And lots cheaper than at an Acura dealer. Fact.

He can access Acura TSB's and any info he needs for service work. Yes, I know, IF I needed warranty work I have to go to my Acura dealer.

The rear Sachs shocks are NOT bad, just not designed exactly as they need to be for cold climates. Still had my originals on my '13 when treaded in. They were pretty much OK except in very cold weather.

Acuras/Hondas have a lower purchase price...esp. when negotiated correctly when buying...and have outstanding resale value. Can't find them on the lots too easily...they go fast...and dealers of all kinds love having them available.

Nuff said. Buy whatever you want...again...I have learned what's up in the car world..for the most part....and am happy with my new '16 AWD Advance.

Much subjective feelings going on here and some objective facts too!

Have a great Acura Day!!
Old 05-26-2015, 04:17 PM
Pro

Nothing needs to be "rigged". One bolt on the bottom, and one nut on the top. The only difference is the stock "dual stage valving" that does not work.

Let us know how the 2016 shocks are working out.
Old 05-26-2015, 04:25 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Nothing needs to be "rigged". One bolt on the bottom, and one nut on the top. The only difference is the stock "dual stage valving" that does not work.

Let us know how the 2016 shocks are working out.

Oh my gosh!! LOL!! IF it doesn't fit like it's supposed to, and it doesn't because it's made for the '12 RDX!!!....then it's rigged. Come on...

The '16 rides GREAT...and Acura said they tuned the suspension since many complained of a "too stiff" of a ride....and NOT because of the rear shocks. To me, it just takes road imperfections a little better...feels like it has a little more "float" to it...front and back make that happen.

When I get in the garage to put the splash guards on I will look at the shocks and see if I can tell if they are the same....probably can't. I'll have to check the Acura part #'s and maybe ask my Parts Mgr.
Old 05-26-2015, 05:45 PM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
"Until then, the smart people will spend $120, get an aftermarket shock (like KYB), install them, and move on with their lives."

SMART??? LOL! Spend $40k on a vehicle and buy stuff to FIX a problem instead of pushing dealer/Mfr. I don't find that smart. I'm on 3rd set and will continue to complain and have them replaced FOR FREE until they hit a pair that no longer clunk. I will make a pest of myself until they fix it...I already spent my money to get it fixed when I bought the RDX. KYB's change the ride and not for the better, so how is that the "SMART" choice. If people are fine with doing that, thatis great. I'm following my SMART path.
Colorado Guy AF Ret. (05-26-2015)
Old 05-26-2015, 05:57 PM
Pro

Joebxr, i hear you when you are saying it's the principle of the thing. I was on my 3rd set, and after that I made up my mind to install aftermarket. Your time has to be worth something. It's not like Lexus, Volvo, or Mercedes where they give you a loaner car for the day. The "back and forth" to the dealer gets old real quick. Just keep this in the back of your mind the next time you go car shopping.
Old 05-26-2015, 06:50 PM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Joebxr, i hear you when you are saying it's the principle of the thing. I was on my 3rd set, and after that I made up my mind to install aftermarket. Your time has to be worth something. It's not like Lexus, Volvo, or Mercedes where they give you a loaner car for the day. The "back and forth" to the dealer gets old real quick. Just keep this in the back of your mind the next time you go car shopping.
Maybe you should find a new dealer....mine gives me an RDX loaner to drive. Keep that in mind next time you go to buy a car!
Keep in mind also, if MFR doesn't get the word that customers are pi$$ed and dealers don't get on MFR a$$ because of people like me (and hopefully many others complaining of same thing) taking it back time and time again until I am satisfied with the fix....then why would the company bother to look for a solution?
Old 05-26-2015, 07:27 PM
Intermediate

I am with joebxr on this one. Acura should get their arms around this it is a shame we need to keep bringing our trucks in. My dealer is great and gives me a loaner but they are 30 miles from home so it is very much an undertaking to bring my Rdx in. The bottom line is this is a flawed design/part so why should I pay to have an aftermarket fix.

Let's be real though this is not a life/safety items so it will not be fixed..
Old 05-26-2015, 08:02 PM
Pro

"then why would the company bother to look for a solution?"

Because their reputation is on the line, that is why they should make good on the repairs. Look, this thread is 2 1/2 years old, and we have had three consecutive model years with the same issues. It's a SHOCK ABSORBER.....not the space shuttle. It should have been revised and then stocked at the dealers to satisfy the customers that paid $40K for their RDX. I have owned my RDX for 25 months, and have almost 30,000 miles. Aside from the shocks, the car has been trouble free. What I don't have patience for is doing the same repair over and over.
The following 2 users liked this post by rosen39:
hand-filer (05-26-2015), Rocket_man (05-28-2015)
Old 05-26-2015, 09:05 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Originally Posted by joebxr
"Until then, the smart people will spend $120, get an aftermarket shock (like KYB), install them, and move on with their lives."

SMART??? LOL! Spend $40k on a vehicle and buy stuff to FIX a problem instead of pushing dealer/Mfr. I don't find that smart. I'm on 3rd set and will continue to complain and have them replaced FOR FREE until they hit a pair that no longer clunk. I will make a pest of myself until they fix it...I already spent my money to get it fixed when I bought the RDX. KYB's change the ride and not for the better, so how is that the "SMART" choice. If people are fine with doing that, thatis great. I'm following my SMART path.

Well said! Finally someone with some common sense...besides me of course! LOL!

My research has started. The part #'s for the '16 rear shocks and front shocks are DIFFERENT than the '13--'15 ones.

I have my Service/Parts Mgr. working on this to find out for sure IF the '16 shocks are different. I'm sure he will call me on Wed. I'll post what he finds out.

Also, the springs --front and back have different part #'s. Remember I said earlier that Acura "re-tuned" the suspension...and that I honestly feel my Advance rides better than my '13 did.

So, at this point the springs are different and recalibrated. Hoping that's what I hear about the shocks.

And for those that aren't "car savvy" which is fine.....shocks are also referred to as "dampers"....and the fronts are shocks/dampers that have their springs put over them to make....a strut.

In the rear...the shocks are separate from the springs.

And for the very last time...I hope.....KYB DOES NOT make a shock specifically for the 2nd Gen. RDX. Now they might have one soon...as many other manufacturers might also. Haven't checked their sites yet.

The '12 RDX shock IS NOT made for the 2nd Gen. RDX. That's just a fact...Jack!!

If I'm wrong prove it...show me the evidence...a KYB part # for the 2nd Gen RDX. Show me the money...errrr....the shock!! LOL!!

And...hand-filer...what are you agreeing to with rosen?? Poor info. there. You both need to do your homework.

This is so much fun...don't you agree one and all??

Quick Reply: Clunking from rear