Clunking from rear

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 11:33 AM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have not noticed the clunking issue on our brand new 2014 (production 3/14). Do you think maybe some people got a bad batch of suspension components/struts/bushings?
Old 05-13-2014, 11:52 AM
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by mr.zeros
I have not noticed the clunking issue on our brand new 2014 (production 3/14). Do you think maybe some people got a bad batch of suspension components/struts/bushings?
Way more than just a bad batch. Hundreds, if not thousands of RDX's and ILX's affected. I even drove new ILX's on the lot to see if they made the same thumping noise from the rear as my car did, and they did as well.

This is a part design flaw/failure that Acura has yet to address after two years. Unreal! GOOD BYE ACURA.
Old 05-13-2014, 06:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
It does not always appear in the beginning. We did not notice it for a while and then it seemed to get worse.
Old 05-13-2014, 07:30 PM
Make it #7!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
Replacement rear shocks by the dealer fixed mine so far.
Old 05-13-2014, 08:13 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry I haven't installed the KYB's, but when I attempted to do the install this afternoon, I found my car completely dead. I checked the battery with a meter and it was dead.....called Acura service and they were there in 45 minutes. It started right up with a jump, and the mentioned it might have been the starter button. Apparently if you hit the starter/turn off button more than once, it might leave the car in accessory mode, and after two days, it kills the battery. I'm not the only one thus has happened to! Enough said....what's next??
Old 05-14-2014, 06:39 AM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug's RDX
Sorry I haven't installed the KYB's, but when I attempted to do the install this afternoon, I found my car completely dead. I checked the battery with a meter and it was dead.....called Acura service and they were there in 45 minutes. It started right up with a jump, and the mentioned it might have been the starter button. Apparently if you hit the starter/turn off button more than once, it might leave the car in accessory mode, and after two days, it kills the battery. I'm not the only one thus has happened to! Enough said....what's next??
Never had that happen, but yes, you have to make sure the car is off and not in accessory mode. You should have noticed radio on or dash lights on... On infiniti the push button start has words that light up at the top, so you could see if you left it in accessory.
Old 05-14-2014, 06:40 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Spirited Driver
Way more than just a bad batch. Hundreds, if not thousands of RDX's and ILX's affected. I even drove new ILX's on the lot to see if they made the same thumping noise from the rear as my car did, and they did as well.

This is a part design flaw/failure that Acura has yet to address after two years. Unreal! GOOD BYE ACURA.
Exactly... Goodbye for now.. you would think they have to know about it...?? I guess they don't want to spend the $$...
Old 05-14-2014, 06:43 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TNTransplant
I just ordered the last two KYB shocks that Tirerack had in stock - free shipping still, so $136 total.

I bought my RDX new in March, and immediately noticed the clunking rear suspension - it literally crashes over every pothole/manhole cover and there is minimal damping. Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread, and to hand-filer for posting the fix. When they show up and get installed I'll give an update...

As an aside, I also have the VCM vibration, so I'll have to take it back to the dealer to try and get the propeller shaft TSB done. Problem is that I'm 50 miles away, so it's not too high on my priority list right now.

Other than these two things, I'm very satisfied with the car. Just seems a shame that Acura hasn't stepped up to the plate to fix a known suspension problem. This is my first Acura, but I've owned Hondas in the past; am I wrong in expecting them to offer a better overall experience for their luxury division?
Sorry, but the Vibration Cylinder Management is never going to go away. It might get worse. It's a characteristic of the vehicle.. On some, you will start fouling out plugs and going through ignition coils.. if you keep driving it you will damage the engine... I've had owned a few since 2007, never again until they get rid of VCM or better improve it. The good news is if you do a lot of stop and go city driving you won't notice as much, but on straight highway runs, it's noticeable...
Old 05-14-2014, 10:51 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts
The Replacement propeller shaft takes care of the vibration issue. While I might not be gifted with your ability to sense vibration on a level that is imperceptible to most humans I can assure you I am also very attuned to what goes on with my vehicle and I no longer feel any vibrations.
Since getting rid of or deciding to get rid of your RDX you have been on a one man crusade to convince everyone that VCM that will eventually destroy our engines.
I find that both humorous as well as ridiculous. I'm sure I'm not alone.

Originally Posted by danmangto
Sorry, but the Vibration Cylinder Management is never going to go away. It might get worse. It's a characteristic of the vehicle.. On some, you will start fouling out plugs and going through ignition coils.. if you keep driving it you will damage the engine... I've had owned a few since 2007, never again until they get rid of VCM or better improve it. The good news is if you do a lot of stop and go city driving you won't notice as much, but on straight highway runs, it's noticeable...
The following 6 users liked this post by hand-filer:
5 Acuras (05-14-2014), Comfy (05-15-2014), geocord (05-14-2014), markAZ (05-14-2014), mdfree (05-14-2014), Rocket_man (05-14-2014) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-14-2014, 03:04 PM
Make it #7!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
I just did a round trip to Southern CT from Upstate NY in my 2014 RDX AWD/Tech with 9000+ miles with replacement propeller shaft, no vibration at all. No rear end noise on the pot hole loaded roads either with the replacement shocks. Kudos to my dealer for handling both issues as they arose, no questions asked.
Old 05-14-2014, 05:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
I can also attest to that my former RDX never had any vibration.....just the rear noise in the suspension. I am pretty anal with my vehicles and the VCM was rarely, if not impossible, to detect when it would go in and out.
The following users liked this post:
Rocket_man (05-14-2014)
Old 05-14-2014, 08:35 PM
2nd Gear

Im thinking of buying a 2014 RDX this weekend. This whole bad shock thing has me scared and second guessing myself. Is this problem just a noise or is it something that affects how bumps are absorbed? Does it cause the rear suspension to lock up? Im looking for a comfortable ride, is the RDX for me if Acura wont fix this issue?

What rear shocks cure the problem 100% if i do end up buying the RDX?
Old 05-14-2014, 08:44 PM
Intermediate

Installed the KYB's today and have a rattle back there I didn't have before. I put the top hal of shock / plastic cover first, then a steel washer, then a rubber bushing below the flange, then the other rubber bushing, steel washer and nut on the top. There were no replacement parts for the bottom. I used the factory bolt on the bottom. Any suggestions?? The directions were hard to follow, but I thinks they are on correctly. I'm going to take them apart tomorrow looking for some gap somewhere causing the new noise. Thanks!!!!
Old 05-14-2014, 10:03 PM
Pro

Received 109 Likes on 87 Posts
See attached picture. Did you first put on the white bumper, then the shock cover, then the washer and rubber bushing? The picture also shows what appears to be a steel sleeve. Was there a metal sleeve in the bushing where the bottom bolt goes through?
Attached Thumbnails Clunking from rear-getimage.php.jpeg  

Last edited by rosen39; 05-14-2014 at 10:09 PM.
Old 05-15-2014, 07:07 AM
Intermediate

Yes. Everything was there just like the picture. After reading the KYB site, they say to tighten the nuts with the car on the floor. I tightened them in the air. So....after my coffee this morning, I'm back to the garage to re-tighten the nuts. I hope that does it. It rode good, but on certain bumps there is a rattle. I'll update later today.Thanks....
Old 05-15-2014, 07:18 AM
Pro

Received 109 Likes on 87 Posts
Did that steel sleeve go over the threaded rod at the top (and between the two washers)? There looks like there is another small part in the picture. What was that for? Did the shocks come with instructions that maybe you could post? I sure hope this fixes the noise. I'm getting ready to order a set if it works for you.
Old 05-15-2014, 08:24 AM
Intermediate

There is a steel sleeve it does go over the threaded shaft and the two rubber bushings go over that. The white bumper is already installed, basically you put the top of the shock on over the white bumper, then a washer, rubber bushing, those are all the parts from the bottom. From the top you put a rubber bushing over that small sleeve then a washer and then the nut. There are no replacement parts or washers for the bottom, you use the factory bolt. The directions that are given are for every possible scenario that KYB sells, one tiny picture gives you the flow of the washers and bushings the rest is useless. I'm headed to the garage now I'll get back to you little bit. Thanks
Old 05-15-2014, 09:23 AM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Not to state the obvious, but is it possible this noise was always there but "masked" by the other shock noise? Also have you checked the spare tire cavity for anything loose in there?
Old 05-15-2014, 09:58 AM
Burning Brakes

Yes. Everything was there just like the picture. After reading the KYB site, they say to tighten the nuts with the car on the floor. I tightened them in the air. So....after my coffee this morning, I'm back to the garage to re-tighten the nuts. I hope that does it. It rode good, but on certain bumps there is a rattle. I'll update later today.Thanks....
Make certain that the top nut is good and tight to insure that the top washer, sleeve and bottom washer are properly clamp loaded. If they aren't you will hear metal to metal contact of those parts.
These shocks are absolutely silent in operation when properly installed.
Old 05-15-2014, 10:46 AM
Intermediate

I re-checked the top nut and it is tight. Couldn't get a quarter turn. I checked the bottom bolt and found minimal play in the shock, so I loosened both and re-tightened both bottoms on the ground. I also re-checked the tire cavity, took out a small tool set, checked the rear seat belt,etc. I am going to test drive it now. I am praying that was it!!!Thanks to all for suggestions.....
Old 05-15-2014, 11:19 AM
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by mr.zeros
hey i am on the 3/14 batch too. haven't noticed anything yet still, maybe things will come loose after some time or major temperature changes
Old 05-15-2014, 11:54 AM
Intermediate

It's a beautiful thing!!!! No thumping!!!!!Do all final tightening/adjustments for top and bottom of the shocks with the car on the floor.
Now tomorrow I have an appointment with Acura to test my electrical for what killed my battery, besides human error, and I am good to go!!!
Thanks again to all, especially hand-filer!!!!!
Old 05-15-2014, 12:24 PM
Burning Brakes

So glad to hear it worked out for you. It is amazing how well the thumping sound is dampened by the softer rubber components of the KYB shocks. It's like you are driving a different vehicle.

It's a beautiful thing!!!! No thumping!!!!!Do all final tightening/adjustments for top and bottom of the shocks with the car on the floor.
Now tomorrow I have an appointment with Acura to test my electrical for what killed my battery, besides human error, and I am good to go!!!
Thanks again to all, especially hand-filer!!!!!
The following 2 users liked this post by hand-filer:
mdfree (05-15-2014), weather (05-15-2014)
Old 05-15-2014, 02:07 PM
Suzuka Master

hand-filer.....You have no idea how appreciated that you took the time to explore and find a solution for RDX owners. Too bad Acura wouldn't care enough to provide this simple recommendation to their service advisers to address this issue once and for all.

I am positive that ILX owners would love to have a similar option. Are you aware of a replacement part to solve the same problem they are having?
Old 05-15-2014, 02:11 PM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Ditto!!! Maybe we could make up some sort of Sticky for this?
Old 05-15-2014, 02:32 PM
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts
hand-filer, where're you in Canada? i will bring my RDX to you to get it fixed ..
Old 05-15-2014, 08:00 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
Does this thumping issue happen in 2015 models as well? Anyone…?
Old 05-15-2014, 08:16 PM
Suzuka Master

^^ Yep...I don't see why it wouldn't as they haven't modified anything in the rear suspension and a TSB hasn't been issued to address these rear shocks made by SACHS.

Keep in mind that if you live in a warmer climate, it will not be as much of an issue.
Old 05-15-2014, 10:41 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by weather
^^ Yep...I don't see why it wouldn't as they haven't modified anything in the rear suspension and a TSB hasn't been issued to address these rear shocks made by SACHS.

Keep in mind that if you live in a warmer climate, it will not be as much of an issue.

I didn't realize this but SACHS is actually part of the ZF brand of car products which included the 9 speed transmission on the TLX. Maybe this is why Acura can't dump them.
Old 05-16-2014, 06:13 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by weather

Weather, I had the issue in warm weather and cold weather, didn't matter. Up near NY City on days it hit 100 degrees last summer I had the issue.
Old 05-16-2014, 06:30 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by hand-filer
The Replacement propeller shaft takes care of the vibration issue. While I might not be gifted with your ability to sense vibration on a level that is imperceptible to most humans I can assure you I am also very attuned to what goes on with my vehicle and I no longer feel any vibrations.
Since getting rid of or deciding to get rid of your RDX you have been on a one man crusade to convince everyone that VCM that will eventually destroy our engines.
I find that both humorous as well as ridiculous. I'm sure I'm not alone.
Sorry, The facts speak for themselves... the class action lawsuit on VCM (that I'm sure you aware of) confirms what I've said. Google search VCM issues.. Luckily your RDX has no VCM vibrations. Unlike you, I was stranded by my vehicle due to VCM issues.. my 2011 Odyssey hours from home due to this issue. If you keep driving it that way, with fouled out plugs/burned out ignition coils, you will damage or possibly destroy the engine, I shut it down to avoid that.

BTW.. I'm not the only one here that has gotten rid of their RDX due to VCM/rear suspension issues..

Last edited by danmangto; 05-16-2014 at 06:34 AM.
Old 05-16-2014, 07:25 AM
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Weather, I had the issue in warm weather and cold weather, didn't matter. Up near NY City on days it hit 100 degrees last summer I had the issue.
As did I (from same area) on my ILX.
Old 05-16-2014, 02:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Rocket_man
I didn't realize this but SACHS is actually part of the ZF brand of car products which included the 9 speed transmission on the TLX. Maybe this is why Acura can't dump them.
That is even more disturbing.....Maybe we'll get a "clunk" in the transmission too *lol*

That sucks....for the RDX I had, the noise seemed only noticeable on colder days.

Originally Posted by Spirited Driver
As did I (from same area) on my ILX.
Wow.....well that sucks!
Old 05-16-2014, 03:19 PM
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what's the milage when you start noticing this problem i bought a 2014 a month ago it has almost 1,000 miles and nothing yet
Old 05-16-2014, 03:29 PM
Suzuka Master

^^ You can start hearing it from the get go. I know same they hear when its warm too but for me, I had picked up the RDX in May and didn't hear the noise until Nov when the temperature really dropped. Its only on certain of holes....for me, manholes were the most noticeable.
Old 05-16-2014, 04:12 PM
Suzuka Master

I am in Georgia and the noise was just as loud at 80 degrees as any other temp. They replaced one strut and it is much better, but I swear I hear some noise form the other strut and of course they don't and won't replace it.

Last edited by KeithL; 05-16-2014 at 04:14 PM.
Old 05-16-2014, 07:01 PM
Suzuka Master

^^ Maybe they just swapped their location *lmao* (just shitting with you)
Old 05-17-2014, 10:28 AM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Geordx
what's the milage when you start noticing this problem i bought a 2014 a month ago it has almost 1,000 miles and nothing yet
I had almost 15,000 miles on mine before it started.

Had business in Indianapolis this week, so made an appointment with a dealer down there. They replaced the struts....no more noise! Hooray!
Old 05-17-2014, 11:37 AM
Suzuka Master

I will go out there and predict Acura will never TSB this and may never change the part number. They sell 3-4K RDXs every month so if a few hundred need struts over the year the bean counter factor that in to the equation vs. any proactive resolution. And the same bean counter and product managers say sure we will upset a few customers and lose a few, but we sell 3-4K a month with no decline in sight and are taking market share so what if we lose a few customers as we gained far more. And if you don't think that conversation is or has happend then you do not understand big business.
Old 05-17-2014, 12:00 PM
Suzuka Master

^^ You are probably right.....sadly enough.

Quick Reply: Clunking from rear