Clunking from rear

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 12:41 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by KeithL
So ACS turned down approval of the second strut. I am done with Acura for now. We have purchased 9 Acuras and a Honda product in 10 years and they are nickel and diminig on the struts which is a well known issue. I really wanted a TLX, but think I will try the new Genesis or stick with Audi. Audi customer service is leaps and bounds better than Acura.
I can't blame you one bit. When I owned a BMW I sure did have some issues with the car during my ownership, but BMW service fixed every one. They even fixed some things I never even complained about. Acura has luxury aspirations, but that certainly doesn't apply past the purchase. They certainly haven't figured out that they can't sell a luxury car without a luxury owners experience and that includes service after the sale.

Originally Posted by rosen39
Well, I'm going in tomorrow for them to check out the replacements that were installed a year ago. I put up with the clunking all winter long. Hopefully they will replace them again. According to the gentleman at Acura, there is no "revised replacement" in the works. They are just on the manufacturer to improve quality control. We shall see.
You can always forego that 'two stage damper' BS and just get some after market struts that work.

Originally Posted by weather
It is really disappointing to see that Acura is not ale to solve this problem with the ILX/RDX and I am pretty sure that by next spring, we'll have a shit load of posts about the TLX rear noise problem.
If I'm not mistaken the description of the TLX implies these same dampers will be on the TLX. That would be a huge mistake Acura. It's shocking to me that this is just a simple fix but Acura can't figure it out. I really want to be excited about the TLX and keep a positive outlook.... then I come here and it is all gone. I keep thinking about my wife's future Mini Cooper and the fun we had on that test drive.

Originally Posted by GurlRDX
Is there a way to check on the integrity of the struts on a used 2013 before making a commitment? I am looking at a tech FWD being sold by a non-Acura dealer and Firestone told me they'd do a diagnostic, I am wondering if they'll be able to catch it. Based on the comments and me living in the South, the noise may not be as pronounced during the test drive in this 80 degrees weather.

I'd really hate to spend almost $35K OTD on a used RDX only to have to haggle with my local dealership on replacement, especially since I didn't even buy it from them.
I'm not sure there is any test, but I'd use this issue to knock several hundred off the car in order to replace the dampers with some after market struts. Might as well just assume Acura will do nothing about it and accept the fact that you will have to replace them. Build it into your offer.
Old 05-07-2014, 05:08 AM
Pro

Received 109 Likes on 87 Posts
GurlRDX,
Just drive over a bumpy, pot hole filled road. No need for any special diagnostics. The car should still be under warranty if they need replacement. I do agree with Rocketman, for short money I can just put on some KYB's myself if ACURA cannot replace with some functioning units.
Old 05-07-2014, 09:40 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rocket_man
I'm not sure there is any test, but I'd use this issue to knock several hundred off the car in order to replace the dampers with some after market struts. Might as well just assume Acura will do nothing about it and accept the fact that you will have to replace them. Build it into your offer.
They have already discounted the vehicle by almost $4K from the original listing price and they've had it listed for over 60 days. The rep told me the $32K was their final price and they were not discounting it further...with this new information, I'll see if I can get them to knock off a couple more hundreds.
Old 05-07-2014, 09:41 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GurlRDX,
Just drive over a bumpy, pot hole filled road. No need for any special diagnostics. The car should still be under warranty if they need replacement. I do agree with Rocketman, for short money I can just put on some KYB's myself if ACURA cannot replace with some functioning units.
Wouldn't that void the warranty? I was checking the struts pricing and replacement and I think I saw it'd cost almost $600 installed. I wouldn't want to go into all that trouble and have it void the remaining warranty.
Old 05-07-2014, 11:33 AM
Pro

GurlRDX,
The two KYB's through an online supplier would be all of $130. One bolt on the bottom, and a nut on the top..........it's not rocket science (sorry Rocket Man). Leaving the old shocks on should void your warranty..........they don't work properly.
Old 05-07-2014, 09:06 PM
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 104 Posts
Using aftermarket parts will not void your warranty unless they can prove that the part caused some damage. If you use aftermarket shocks that are meant for your car there shouldn't be any warranty problems.
Old 05-07-2014, 09:30 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Acura seems to have this suspension issues throughout its product line. I test drove a new MDX and I could hear a similar noise from the rear suspension. That killed my interest in trading in my RDX. Now hearing the TLX has a similar issue, that voids trading in my wife's car for the TLX. That's two less sales in 2014 Acura will have due to this issue just from me. I like Acura, but feel I need to move to another brand,for my next cars.
Old 05-08-2014, 05:44 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
.. I keep thinking about my wife's future Mini Cooper and the fun we had on that test drive.

....I am just wondering what REALLY happened on that test drive
The following users liked this post:
Acc20yrs (05-08-2014)
Old 05-08-2014, 05:48 PM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Ukalum
Acura seems to have this suspension issues throughout its product line. I test drove a new MDX and I could hear a similar noise from the rear suspension. That killed my interest in trading in my RDX. Now hearing the TLX has a similar issue, that voids trading in my wife's car for the TLX. That's two less sales in 2014 Acura will have due to this issue just from me. I like Acura, but feel I need to move to another brand,for my next cars.
Not to mention the new MDX Vibration-Cylinder management. Go for a the older generation if you are going to own long term.
Old 05-08-2014, 05:50 PM
Instructor

It is really disappointing to see that Acura is not ale to solve this problem with the ILX/RDX and I am pretty sure that by next spring, we'll have a shit load of posts about the TLX rear noise problem.
It's rather embarrassing... You can buy a new Kia or Hyundai and not have the sound...
Old 05-08-2014, 05:53 PM
Instructor

Dealer said Acura has been silent on this issue other than to tel the dealers to replace struts making noise. And the dealer SM is telling how simple the rear suspension is, well clearly Acura can't do simple. What really pisses me off more than the issue is ACS is useless. I had an issue with my first TL with noisy back deck and ACS did nothing, but the dealer stepped up and fixed it and threw in a rear deck lid for me to make up for it. One thing I learned is ACS are just the same as the Honda folks and they act like you bought a Civic for $15K. Audi has treated me very well. Infiniti treated me very good as well. Good customer service can make up form some issues and ACS clearly does not get that.
Thats why I went back to Infiniti (they can have their issues too) but they seem to treat me way better than Acura every did for issues that have arisen. I must admit, this Acura had so many issues, they didn't care.
Old 05-08-2014, 06:25 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by danmangto
Thats why I went back to Infiniti (they can have their issues too) but they seem to treat me way better than Acura every did for issues that have arisen. I must admit, this Acura had so many issues, they didn't care.
Funny I was just saying that to the gf today. Two best service experiences I had were my 06 and 04 TL because the service manager at that dealer was stellar. Then Infiniti, service manager was good and when I had a few issues when new Infinit threw in 2 years and 30K maintenance so wound up with about 6 or 7 oil changes for free. I actually like the refresh on the M37/Q70 for 2015, just wish they would update head unit.
Old 05-08-2014, 06:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by danmangto
It's rather embarrassing... You can buy a new Kia or Hyundai and not have the sound...
Well....I drive a 2012 Hyundai Accent with 54 000 km and had ZERO issues, no rattles, no thumping in the rear suspension. The only negative aginst in the Accent is that the steering is a bit odd, it seems the vehicle is not as well planted onm the highway, especially when low in gas and windy (lighter and cross wind).

Took an ILX for a test drive (the 2.4 manual) and great sounding engine, smooth tranny but horrible, and I mean horrible rear noise suspension!! Lots of wind/road noise too compared to my Accent but I could tolerate that more than the rear noise suspension
Old 05-09-2014, 05:58 AM
Instructor

Well....I drive a 2012 Hyundai Accent with 54 000 km and had ZERO issues, no rattles, no thumping in the rear suspension. The only negative aginst in the Accent is that the steering is a bit odd, it seems the vehicle is not as well planted onm the highway, especially when low in gas and windy (lighter and cross wind).

Took an ILX for a test drive (the 2.4 manual) and great sounding engine, smooth tranny but horrible, and I mean horrible rear noise suspension!! Lots of wind/road noise too compared to my Accent but I could tolerate that more than the rear noise suspension
Hyundia/Kia have come a long way. Apparently Acura needs to getter better engineers for it's rear suspensions.
Old 05-09-2014, 06:02 AM
Instructor

Funny I was just saying that to the gf today. Two best service experiences I had were my 06 and 04 TL because the service manager at that dealer was stellar. Then Infiniti, service manager was good and when I had a few issues when new Infinit threw in 2 years and 30K maintenance so wound up with about 6 or 7 oil changes for free. I actually like the refresh on the M37/Q70 for 2015, just wish they would update head unit.
Yes, often times it's the dealer, not the brand that either gives a good taste or bad taste. I brought the car to 3 diff Acura dealers.. all 3 know the rear suspension on RDX is a problem but won't do anything about it. "Yes, we know it's an issue and no there is no fix" LOL! Way to go... That was the same thing I got at Honda Dealers with the VIBRATION-cylinder-management. "We know it's a problem and we aren't going to do anything about it" Nice attitude. These are at a lot of Honda and Acura dealers in northern NJ.

PS in my case I went with G37 (Q60) coupe. It's old, but still current and still a nice design. That 330 horse VQ still has some nice performance.
Old 05-09-2014, 09:08 AM
tal
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
GurlRDX,
The two KYB's through an online supplier would be all of $130. One bolt on the bottom, and a nut on the top..........it's not rocket science (sorry Rocket Man). Leaving the old shocks on should void your warranty..........they don't work properly.
What is the part # on the shocks? The KBY website does not show any shocks available for the 2013-15 RDX.
Old 05-09-2014, 09:08 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for all of your suggestions. I ordered the KYB's last night. I've done shocks before, so I assume they are the same. Any last tidbits I should look out for? Or just put them in as the kit comes? Thanks again,
Doug
Old 05-09-2014, 09:36 AM
tal
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug's RDX
Thanks for all of your suggestions. I ordered the KYB's last night. I've done shocks before, so I assume they are the same. Any last tidbits I should look out for? Or just put them in as the kit comes? Thanks again,
Doug
Did some digging...

Did you order these?

KBY Excel-G Shock Absorber 349095
Old 05-09-2014, 11:40 AM
Pro

Doug, can't wait to hear your results. I'm still on the fence about ordering the KYB's.
Old 05-09-2014, 12:12 PM
4th Gear

Are these strut and rear suspension issues universal or just luck of the draw?
Old 05-09-2014, 12:56 PM
Pro

I guess it would be subjective on how you notice sounds on your car. Some people might accept the noise as "normal" for an SUV or crossover vehicle. For the most part, my car rides smooth and quiet around town, and on the highway. The noise is most noticeable on potholes, missing sections of pavement, other large bumps in the road. It also is more noticeable in the colder weather. It sounds like something is banging underneath the car. Could be "luck of the draw", but I'm on set #3.
darklord (05-09-2014)
Old 05-09-2014, 01:10 PM
4th Gear

I'm deciding between the RDX or the Forester. Wifey wanted the RDX (surprised) and I wanted something more fun to drive, the Forester. But it'll be wifey's car so I don't have much say in it even though I am paying.

However, these kind of thumping sound will drive me nuts and it's hard to detect during a test drive. Yes, I live in Canada so it's cold 6 months of the year. Sounds like I should stay away from the RDX, shan't I?
Old 05-09-2014, 02:55 PM
Pro

Darklord, One of the cars that was in the mix when I was looking at the RDX was the Subaru Outback with the six cylinder engine. Very good performance and handling. Very imaginative crossbars built into the roof rails. Someone put some thought into the design.
darklord (05-09-2014)
Old 05-09-2014, 03:30 PM
Suzuka Master

darklord....Well, no doubt that if you get an RDX, you will be subjected to this incredibly annoying rear thumping sound. You can always swap the rear shocks for relatively cheap and you will have a decent SUV. In my opinion, the RDX is superior than the Forester...its engine is incredibly refined, the tranny is great, the interior feels more upscale etc. The one mainly strike against the RDX (besides the rear noise) is the lack of height adjuster on the passenger seat....otherwise, I would go RDX all the way.
darklord (05-09-2014)
Old 05-09-2014, 03:38 PM
4th Gear

weather, do you mean swap the shocks with better aftermaket ones or do you swap it under warranty to get rid of the thumping? Thanks.
Old 05-09-2014, 03:49 PM
Suzuka Master

^^ Swap with the one from the 2012 RDX....they are made by KYB. A member here on Acurazine (hand-filer) is from Winnipeg and has done so and the noise went totally away.

It will cost maybe 200$ but worth it if your wife really wants the RDX....
darklord (05-09-2014)
Old 05-09-2014, 06:32 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tal
Did some digging...

Did you order these?

KBY Excel-G Shock Absorber 349095
I did order that number from Tire Rack, $136.00 delivered. I assume this will end my thumping.....even if Acura does a recall, the KYB's are a better product. I will update after I install and test drive.
Old 05-09-2014, 06:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts
Doug
Install the hardware that comes with the new shocks. Don't reuse anything from the original shocks. You will be happy with the results.
Old 05-09-2014, 06:37 PM
Intermediate

Darklord, One of the cars that was in the mix when I was looking at the RDX was the Subaru Outback with the six cylinder engine. Very good performance and handling. Very imaginative crossbars built into the roof rails. Someone put some thought into the design.
I actually traded a 2011 Outback, 4 cyl, because if the cvt transmission, and not sure if that was a good idea. The Subie was quiet and smooth, but slow and noisey during acceleration. Nice car....but different.
Old 05-09-2014, 06:39 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by hand-filer
Install the hardware that comes with the new shocks. Don't reuse anything from the original shocks. You will be happy with the results.
Thanks again for your persistence!!! I'm hoping by the end of next week I'll be driving a quieter version of Acura's RDX.....
Old 05-09-2014, 07:02 PM
Instructor

I actually traded a 2011 Outback, 4 cyl, because if the cvt transmission, and not sure if that was a good idea. The Subie was quiet and smooth, but slow and noisey during acceleration. Nice car....but different.
I took a look at the Subaru Outback wagon, but it would have been the 6cyl only. the 4cyl IMHO was too slow and CVT was noisy, esp if you had to accelerate hard.
The reason I didn't buy the 6cyl outback? They were nearly impossible to get in my area.. had to wait or order one and wait 3 months.. sorry, not happening for a family car.. maybe a sports car.
Old 05-10-2014, 02:41 AM
Summer is Coming

They have already discounted the vehicle by almost $4K from the original listing price and they've had it listed for over 60 days. The rep told me the $32K was their final price and they were not discounting it further...with this new information, I'll see if I can get them to knock off a couple more hundreds.
There are three 2014 RDX Techs in the Houston area at dealerships (must have been loaners) with ~4,000 miles and they are starting at $33.4K Can't remember what year you were looking at. If that were a 2014 it looks like a good price.

Wouldn't that void the warranty? I was checking the struts pricing and replacement and I think I saw it'd cost almost $600 installed. I wouldn't want to go into all that trouble and have it void the remaining warranty.
The warranty that Acura is not honoring wrt the dampers? I wouldn't worry about it. But I would keep the originals just in case Acura eventually finds a design that works. Then maybe you can get them replaced with the new parts.

GurlRDX,

....I am just wondering what REALLY happened on that test drive
Honestly you should test drive the car... try the Cooper S, but the Cooper is pretty fun too. Make sure it has the sports package. They don't give us enough time in the car for much else, and that back seat is REALLY small!

One item of interest.... I could make any change to the navigation system while the car was driving. A pleasant surprise.

You can get a really nicely equipped Cooper for $30K. Including some of the nicest sport seats I've ever sat it, and a very nice navigation system.
Old 05-10-2014, 08:19 AM
Suzuka Master

^^ I did drive one about 2 years ago and I don't dispute the "fun factor" in the car...They are very tossable/nimble and I agree, will put a smile on your face.

The thing for me is that this car triggers no visual stimulation for me.....and we all know that regardless of how fun to ride she is, she must still look good *lol*

A co-worker of mine was determinded to buy one despite all the negative reviews about reliability.....he went on a test drive and got stuck on the side of the highway. Lets just say he now drives a Japanese brand *lol*
Old 05-10-2014, 09:31 AM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
There are three 2014 RDX Techs in the Houston area at dealerships (must have been loaners) with ~4,000 miles and they are starting at $33.4K Can't remember what year you were looking at. If that were a 2014 it looks like a good price.

The warranty that Acura is not honoring wrt the dampers? I wouldn't worry about it. But I would keep the originals just in case Acura eventually finds a design that works. Then maybe you can get them replaced with the new parts.

Honestly you should test drive the car... try the Cooper S, but the Cooper is pretty fun too. Make sure it has the sports package. They don't give us enough time in the car for much else, and that back seat is REALLY small!

One item of interest.... I could make any change to the navigation system while the car was driving. A pleasant surprise.

You can get a really nicely equipped Cooper for $30K. Including some of the nicest sport seats I've ever sat it, and a very nice navigation system.
We tested the new '14 Cooper S with the 2.0L turbo motor. It was awesome. The 4-cylinder motor is great. The torque of the 3-cylinder 1.5 is well enough, and it was not bad. But there was no comparison to the 2.0T, which was paired perfectly to the auto gearbox.

The sport seats were great, but that leads us to another turn-off for Mini: You start with a reasonably priced car but one that has absolutely nothing in the way of creature comforts. Once you add the niceties to it you are well over 30 grand.

I really did enjoy the Cooper S, the Mini and BMW reliability history is not the best. Especially with regard to direct injection motors, so for about the same money we got the RDX which is vastly more practical and suited our needs better.
Old 05-10-2014, 12:39 PM
Cruisin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I just ordered the last two KYB shocks that Tirerack had in stock - free shipping still, so $136 total.

I bought my RDX new in March, and immediately noticed the clunking rear suspension - it literally crashes over every pothole/manhole cover and there is minimal damping. Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread, and to hand-filer for posting the fix. When they show up and get installed I'll give an update...

As an aside, I also have the VCM vibration, so I'll have to take it back to the dealer to try and get the propeller shaft TSB done. Problem is that I'm 50 miles away, so it's not too high on my priority list right now.

Other than these two things, I'm very satisfied with the car. Just seems a shame that Acura hasn't stepped up to the plate to fix a known suspension problem. This is my first Acura, but I've owned Hondas in the past; am I wrong in expecting them to offer a better overall experience for their luxury division?
Old 05-10-2014, 01:45 PM
Suzuka Master

Just picked up gf's RDX that had right rear strut done. If is much quieter, but is still hear noise ove speed bumps from left rear. Called them now they want me to bring it in when manager can test drive with me. What crap Acura, redesign the damn strut already and issue a TSB. How many here have done the KYB and what are your opinions? I am getting ready to just eat the money and be done with it. Tired of the trips to the dealer.
Old 05-10-2014, 05:02 PM
Suzuka Master

I feel your pain.....Ridiculous if you ask me!
Old 05-10-2014, 06:15 PM
Suzuka Master

And I thought I read the MDX may have same problem, seems like TLX is doomed as well with poorly designed struts.
Old 05-11-2014, 07:52 AM
Summer is Coming

Acura has their head so far up their @$$ on this one it is ridiculous. They should have terminated Sachs long ago and gone with a new supplier. The damage they are causing is not worth keeping this incompetent supplier. It's like no one in Acura Management has any Staminga. Maybe they need to move out of Torrance and La La land and to some place real.. like Texas. Toyota did.
Old 05-11-2014, 08:14 AM
Pro

Rocketman, you are right. It used to be that a Japanese car was the "benchmark" of quality, precision, craftsmanship. Now, the vehicles could be assembled in many countries, and the parts could be manufactured in just as many locations. They took their eye off the ball to save a few bucks. They lost the "control" they had by making the components themselves. I owned a Saab 9-5 wagon for two years. I loved the car, but the "General Motors" climate control unit was junk. The A/C would cut out when the temperature would get over 90 degrees. I got fed up with bringing it back all the time. Unless the KYB's fix the problem, this car is history in the next year.

Quick Reply: Clunking from rear