View Poll Results: If you had a chance to look at (inspect) your Comptech springs, are they?
In perfect condition. With No visible marks. IOW, they look great.
29.17%
Have some marks and/or pits. (Comments?)
31.94%
Corroded (Please comment with location and other info)
30.56%
Other: explain what's going on/what you see...
8.33%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Can you check your Comptech Springs?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2004, 03:22 PM
dj5
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
My Comptech sways are black and the spring are silver.

I have my sways on for about 2 1/2 years with no rust. Springs have been on for about 2 years. All the springs have pits except the back drivers side. This coating on this spring is flaking off and rusting.
Old 08-25-2004, 04:09 PM
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by blader
You guys have silver sways? Mine are black.
Both my sways and springs are silver.

Old 08-25-2004, 04:18 PM
Where is my super sauce?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sways are black; springs are silver.
Old 08-25-2004, 05:52 PM
Suzuka Master

Time for Purina Worm Chow

Originally Posted by Red-CL
Did I just open up a .........

Open ... No, your in it:

Time for some "Purina Worm Chow"
Old 08-25-2004, 05:53 PM
Suzuka Master

Call Comptech and check to see what you've got

Originally Posted by Blacktypes13
I have a set of Brandnew Comptech springs not yet installed. Do you think I could get my money back?

Why not call up Comptech and ask them about the color, batch, etc and get some more info before deciding -- hey?
Old 08-25-2004, 06:00 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bought my springs from PAA about two months ago and Haven't installed them yet, does anyone think I will still be able to get a refund because why would I want to install springs on my car that are going to rust and cost me more money?? Not happy with Comptech I cant believe they could represent Honda with such a unreliable product. I thought I would pay the extra money for higher quality springs but guess I was wrong!!!
Old 08-25-2004, 06:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Don't guess. Call them and know.

Originally Posted by Blacktypes13
I bought my springs from PAA about two months ago and Haven't installed them yet, does anyone think I will still be able to get a refund because why would I want to install springs on my car that are going to rust and cost me more money?? Not happy with Comptech I cant believe they could represent Honda with such a unreliable product. I thought I would pay the extra money for higher quality springs but guess I was wrong!!!
1. People fuck up. Companies fuck up.
2. Notice that there are other springs out there that are rusting as well.

Check out the following thread and check the poll:

http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/poll....ts&pollid=1001
http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150861

If you boycotted every company that every made an aftermarket part that had "problems," you'd probably have trouble finding a vendor.

And, you’re assuming that someone there KNEW they were pulling a "fast one" and were representing Honda/Acura with crappy parts. What does that say about the other spring companies that have rust?

Again: why not call them and not involve any labor charges.

It's really not fun to have fucked-up parts installed in your car. However, it's even more irritating to find that the vendor will not even return your call or help you out.

I don't know why you just don't call them and get the straight dope from the "horse's mouth." It's really that simple -- YOU DON'T HAVE THEM ON YOUR CAR YET.

Look, it's not a perfect world -- and you’re in a position to find out everything you need to make a decision by calling them tomorrow (or today) depending on your time zone.

Call Comptech, be nice, be civil, and let them know that people are watching. You can always sell the springs if you don't get satisfactory information or answers. And you car report on what transpired.

No more guessing... hey?

BTW, you might want to let them know that you bought the springs based on their reputation for quality.

YMMV
Old 08-25-2004, 08:24 PM
Spectacular Aroma About

Originally Posted by EricL
1. People fuck up. Companies fuck up.
2. Notice that there are other springs out there that are rusting as well.

Check out the following thread and check the poll:

http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/poll....ts&pollid=1001
http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150861

There have been no reports of other springs rusting like these. That poll seems to have been misunderstood. All who responded to the poll reported no rust whatsoever except AuCLSman who reported minor surface rust on a set of H&Rs with 4 winters and 57k miles on them. I've e-mailed and called Comptech about my rusted 1 year old springs and they have yet to respond but I'll keep trying.
Old 08-25-2004, 09:33 PM
I now drive an accord....

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well I just ordered my icebox and springs and the icebox came right away but the springs still haven't shipped yet. Maybe there changing the springs or they might just be behind on production. Either way I don't care because I won't be driving my car in the snow so I shouldn't have much of a problem
Old 08-25-2004, 09:40 PM
an adult perspective

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by ChadT
I've e-mailed and called Comptech about my rusted 1 year old springs and they have yet to respond but I'll keep trying.
I've also emailed Joe Sierro - based on comments throughout this thread - and have yet to receive an answer. I'm not trying to get mine replaced based on the pictures I've posted, but I am trying to see if he will stand behind his product as I'm about to install the rears that I purchased back in May of last year since my Neuspeed/Koni Yellows and everything else that I'm going to install have arrived.
Old 08-26-2004, 07:26 AM
Suzuka Master

Call 'em & e-mail em

There have been no reports of other springs rusting like these. That poll seems to have been misunderstood. All who responded to the poll reported no rust whatsoever except AuCLSman who reported minor surface rust on a set of H&Rs with 4 winters and 57k miles on them. I've e-mailed and called Comptech about my rusted 1 year old springs and they have yet to respond but I'll keep trying.

Well, they certainly aren't crumbling into dust -- like the Comptechs

OTOH, if you see rust, you're going to be finding even more corrosion and they will come apart. (Exception being stainless and you wouldn't see the corrosion shown in the pictures [OBVIOUS])

IMO, if you want to get a quicker response, you should consider calling them; the e-mail is good for getting the details in writing (for the record). (Call it the two-barrel method)

When I had problems with the AEM intake (and it took two of them to get one that would fit right), they responded to my phone calls – and I had to find the right person. I don't know how Comptech is handling everyone, but until they say no, you've got a shot at getting new springs. (Still doesn't make up for the hassle of getting them swapped out and the loss of confidence.)

Call them by phone. If they still snub you -- by phone -- you should report back in.
Old 08-26-2004, 07:50 AM
Instructor

I will be calling comptech today and finding out what the deal is.
Old 08-26-2004, 09:34 AM
Spectacular Aroma About

Originally Posted by EricL
Well, they certainly aren't crumbling into dust -- like the Comptechs

OTOH, if you see rust, you're going to be finding even more corrosion and they will come apart. (Exception being stainless and you wouldn't see the corrosion shown in the pictures [OBVIOUS])

IMO, if you want to get a quicker response, you should consider calling them; the e-mail is good for getting the details in writing (for the record). (Call it the two-barrel method)

When I had problems with the AEM intake (and it took two of them to get one that would fit right), they responded to my phone calls – and I had to find the right person. I don't know how Comptech is handling everyone, but until they say no, you've got a shot at getting new springs. (Still doesn't make up for the hassle of getting them swapped out and the loss of confidence.)

Call them by phone. If they still snub you -- by phone -- you should report back in.
Thanks Eric. I'll have to keep on them. I need to find my friggin' reciept too!!
Old 08-26-2004, 11:14 AM
Senior Moderator

From the TL board:

Old 08-26-2004, 11:18 AM
Spectacular Aroma About

Ouch! My springs look just like those. Guess I need to get on them about getting springs.
Old 08-26-2004, 11:26 AM
Team Owner

Beautiful….
Old 08-26-2004, 12:22 PM
Drifting

Ohh snap...the TL's to!!

And now maybe the sways...mine are black and have no rust...I didnt know some were silver...
Old 08-26-2004, 12:26 PM
Spectacular Aroma About

Just got off the phone with Comptech. Wayne was the guy's name I think. He said rusted springs will be replaced they don't have to be broken and it's fine to exchange them unless the rust is very minor. He was very helpful. I went ahead and just ordered a set as I need to get a copy of my reciept. He said just to send the reciept back with the old springs which he will send a call tag for. Very nice guy very helpful. They really seem eager to get these springs back and get the good ones out. Very impressed. I figured out how to get through as well. It seems if they're getting a lot of calls their after hours voicemail picks up. I just kept hitting re-dial and got a live person within a few tries. Have to give them a A+ for customer service on this one.
Old 08-26-2004, 12:31 PM
Where is my super sauce?

Criminy!
Old 08-26-2004, 01:37 PM
Audi S4 driver

Good to hear it wont be a hassle to replace them. Whats the word on installation costs?
Old 08-26-2004, 01:40 PM
Spectacular Aroma About

The guy's name I talked to was actually Nate so don't call and ask for Wayne. Sorry for the brain fart.

Just got off the phone with Comptech. Wayne was the guy's name I think. He said rusted springs will be replaced they don't have to be broken and it's fine to exchange them unless the rust is very minor. He was very helpful. I went ahead and just ordered a set as I need to get a copy of my reciept. He said just to send the reciept back with the old springs which he will send a call tag for. Very nice guy very helpful. They really seem eager to get these springs back and get the good ones out. Very impressed. I figured out how to get through as well. It seems if they're getting a lot of calls their after hours voicemail picks up. I just kept hitting re-dial and got a live person within a few tries. Have to give them a A+ for customer service on this one.
Old 08-26-2004, 01:48 PM
Team Owner

The guy's name I talked to was actually Nate so don't call and ask for Wayne.
I’m dealing with Nate as well.
He just called me back here at work to go over some things with my refund.

They really do seem to be stepping up to the plate to take care of us on this problem.

Shawn S
Old 08-26-2004, 02:12 PM
Doin' da crack shuffle

What about if your out of warranty?
Old 08-26-2004, 02:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Red-CL
What about if your out of warranty?
I got SCREWED but it looks like they are taking care of everyone else now.. Here's a quote from the guy with the pics I showed above from TL site..

"YES, I had the same problem and Comptech sent me a new set for free (even though i was out of warranty) and then i sent them the bill for the instllation and alignment which they re-embursed me for. It didn't go as easily as i explained here, but none the less i got a new set. I am VERY dissappointed in the quality issues here, not to mention how dangerous it is."
Old 08-26-2004, 02:39 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Jonesi
I got SCREWED but it looks like they are taking care of everyone else now..
I would bring that up with them and try and get reimbursed a bit more.
I’m out of warranty too, but only by 4-months.
Old 08-26-2004, 02:44 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Shawn S
I would bring that up with them and try and get reimbursed a bit more.
I’m out of warranty too, but only by 4-months.
I'm thinking about bringing the issue up again but once more people are taken care of.. Then I'll have a little more evidence.. So keep up the work guys.. If I don't get anything that's fine. Atleast the issue is in the air and Comptech is dealing with it and taking care of you guys.. I don't mind being the first case here..
Old 08-26-2004, 03:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

Crap, I just got my springs recently but didnt get a reciept.

I hope i can get a reciept in case i run into this problem later
Old 08-26-2004, 07:26 PM
JZ
Three Wheelin'

How pathetic is this--check it...

Next Friday I'm driving on a 4.5 hour road trip with three people in the car with rusty Comptech springs in the back.

Here's the really sad part--my H&R springs won't be in until next Wednesday and there is really no time to get them installed, so, I am actually going to pack up my new springs and take them with me just in case!

Daaaaaaaamn!
Old 08-26-2004, 08:35 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by JZ
Next Friday I'm driving on a 4.5 hour road trip with three people in the car with rusty Comptech springs in the back.
Last month I drove 1000+ miles down to Williamsburg Va. & Virginia Beach and back to PA.
I’m glad I didn’t know how bad mine were before I made the trip.
I would have been quite paranoid.
Old 08-26-2004, 08:58 PM
Spectacular Aroma About

Originally Posted by blader
Good to hear it wont be a hassle to replace them. Whats the word on installation costs?
I didn't ask for installation. I'll do it myself. I don't like to let people work on my car and it gives me an excuse to use my impact gun. I think they reimbursed some for installation though.
Old 08-27-2004, 12:10 AM
Silver Bullet

ChadT

You mentioned that the new ones they sent out are good. Does that mean they realized the problem and corrected it at some point? If so do they have a date after which they started selling the good ones? The reason I ask is that I got mine from Park Ave Acura about two months ago and I want to know if they are the good ones or the bad ones.

Thanks

Old 08-27-2004, 12:45 AM
A-CL member

Comptech Springs

Originally Posted by Y2K3CL-S
Stands to reason then that Comptech might have a very good idea as to having exact imformation about this "bad batch" ... such as what month/year they were manufactured, whether or not the shipment that went to places such as PAA are all going to be affected, etc.

I'd have to challenge one thing that Comptech told you, and will bring it up to them myself after I check the state of my fronts later today. I still have the "Inspected by" tag that was affixed to the springs, and they currently read:

Comptech USA P/N: 6110514R Rev B

Load 639.8 @ 9.380 In Ht

Rate 183.4 @ Lbs/In

Inspected By: JMORE Date 7-08-02
Betts Spring Co. San Leandro, CA. ((my emphasis))

Just looked this place up on the Internet, and they are located about 120 miles from Comptech HQ - Comptech being East of Sacramento, and Betts Spring Co is located South of Frisco. So it appears to me that Comptech outsourced the springs, sine the website for Betts doesn't talk to anything along the lines of being a powdercoating outfit. If all of the cases which are exclusive to the Northeast came from springs manufactured by this place, this should go a long way to allow Comptech to assume that the potential for any/all springs from this manufacturer which were made in that timeframe are going to be suspicious and they should probably consider acting accordingly, no?
Y2K3CL-S,

Good point. Back in December of 2003, before I purchased the Comptech Springs for my 03-TLS, I called Comptech and spoke with Nate. I asked Nate if they (Comptech) manufactured their own springs, Nate said that they have a "local" performance springs manufacturer make the springs with the specs given to them by Comptech. I asked Nate, what is the name of the performance manufacturer shop, Nate said that the springs are not made by Comptech, but were made by Betts Spring Company. I did a search on the web and found Betts Spring Co in San Leandro, CA. This company has been building springs and other products for a long time. So I purchased the Comptech Springs and they were silver in color. I have been driving on these springs for a good almost eight months in Los Angeles, CA weather. Earlier this week, I inspected the springs and they show very small rust spots and black pit marks. So I call Comptech and Joe answered the phone, I told him about the situation, rust spots and he said that should never happen to the springs and he said that he has not heard about such incidents ever happening. He gave me information on how to go about warranty work. I then asked him if Comptech makes their own springs, he said that a local performance spring manufacturer makes it for them, I then said do you mean Betts Spring co in, San Leandro? and he said who is that? (He did not know, what Betts Springs Co was) I then asked who then makes the springs and he said a "local performance manufacturer."I then called Betts Spring company and asked if they powder coat their springs on site, she( sorry forgot her name), said that YES, Betts does powder coat their springs on site, if their client/customer requests it. But she said that sometimes some of their clients ask to have the springs made only without powder coat, which means that some companies only use Betts to make the spring and have it powder coated elsewhere by someone else. Cheap or inferior powder coating may have been the downfall of the problematic springs, since that is the only protection protecting the springs from the elements.......
Old 08-27-2004, 03:08 AM
Suzuka Master

Betts for a long time...

And ...

I found a very old topic (this was bothering me).

Titled "comptech springs are made who??? survey says"

http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showt...tts#post619056

Betts Spring Co. San Leandro, CA.
That was back on 11-29-2001. So, they must have been using them for a quite a while.

As for the rest ...
Old 08-27-2004, 09:02 AM
Spectacular Aroma About

Originally Posted by Nofear6370
ChadT

You mentioned that the new ones they sent out are good. Does that mean they realized the problem and corrected it at some point? If so do they have a date after which they started selling the good ones? The reason I ask is that I got mine from Park Ave Acura about two months ago and I want to know if they are the good ones or the bad ones.

Thanks
I was on my lunch break and didn't get into a lot of details. He did say the new ones would be black and are different. He did say there is something wrong with the springs that are rusting. Would be interesting to find out the whole story .
Old 08-27-2004, 10:51 AM
Banned

Quit the whining. The springs are fine. You're all being gay. Paranoid middle age crisis. My springs this, my springs that. If they aren't broke, don't fix them!!!
Old 08-27-2004, 10:33 PM
Senior Moderator

Did a search by IP address and came up with The IP Address is: 158.222.4 The host name is: comptech-wl1.innercite

Then did a search by Ip address to see if anyone has used it and this came up Nate@Comptech 158.222.4 I did more searching and there is no doubt this was comptech...

So I guess you can see what Comptech thinks about this situation.. I thought they would be more professional.. Or atleast use a address outside of work..

I'm out over $500 and they are going to come on here saying this sh!t..

Comptech Thanks..

Originally Posted by youallsuck
Quit the whining. The springs are fine. You're all being gay. Paranoid middle age crisis. My springs this, my springs that. If they aren't broke, don't fix them!!!
Old 08-27-2004, 10:52 PM
Where is my super sauce?

Originally Posted by Jonesi
Did a search by IP address and came up with The IP Address is: 158.222.4 The host name is: comptech-wl1.innercite

Then did a search by Ip address to see if anyone has used it and this came up Nate@Comptech 158.222.4 I did more searching and there is no doubt this was comptech...

So I guess you can see what Comptech thinks about this situation.. I thought they would be more professional.. Or atleast use a address outside of work..

I'm out over $500 and they are going to come on here saying this sh!t..

Comptech Thanks..
You gotta be kidding me

I'm floored. I'm speechless.
Old 08-27-2004, 10:54 PM
Suzuka Master

Smooth MOVE NATE!!!!!!... I am sure your boss at Comptech will be real pleased to read this!!!!

...... To think all the money this fucking forum has made for your company who pays your paycheck and then your going to FUCKING bad mouth us.....
Old 08-27-2004, 11:06 PM
Team Owner

Couldn’t the “youallsuck” account have been created by ANYONE at the Comptech facility?
If they’re on the same network and the same ISP, wouldn’t they all have the same IP address?
Maybe it’s the guy who got his ASS chewed out for saving a few bucks on that new powder coating company.
Or the guy in charge of quality control.
Old 08-27-2004, 11:11 PM
Moderator Alumnus

that was reaaaaaaal smooth

Quick Reply: Can you check your Comptech Springs?