The motor mount thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 01:09 PM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Excelerate
I just did a quick sketch of the factory mount and our XLR8 side mount and the holes are larger on our mount and pretty much on center. We installed this same side mount in a local car and all the side mounts were made from the same jig.

If you feel it's off slightly bore out the hole but put a larger washer to spread the force of the bolt when tightened down.
Cool, then I guess I got a shitty/defect side mount. Of course.

I don't feel that it's off, it IS off. My picture is taken with the mount flat, front holes perfectly lined up, no engine load, and half the hole is covered by the mount. There is no little amount of twisting, pulling, prying that can alleviate this.

I'll just drill it out and use a washer as you stated then.

Last edited by Neejay; 06-02-2011 at 01:20 PM.
Old 06-02-2011, 01:38 PM
Unregistered Member

Received 557 Likes on 447 Posts
Instead of drilling out that hole a lot, I would recommend drilling all holes on the mount just a little bit. You'll get more room for movement without having to excessively drill out just one hole.
Old 06-02-2011, 02:36 PM
03 CLS-6

Received 123 Likes on 92 Posts
Exactly what I said to do lol.
Old 06-02-2011, 02:53 PM
Pro

I'll take a video this weekend of what Im talking about.

There is no room to play. The mount's base rests basically against the shock-tower well. if I enlarged all the holes, then I'd need to slide the mount towards me for the rear hole to be able to get a screw started...which I can't do because there is no room to slide the mount.

The only option is to enlarge this hole ONLY and use a washer.
Old 06-02-2011, 04:06 PM
3.7L Nitrous Breathing CL

Received 160 Likes on 140 Posts
If 2 holes line up Don't drill out all holes.
You will ruin the mount.
The mount itself can not be repositioned far as I know.
Their is no load on the side mount and drilling all 3 and attempting to reposition will make it a load carrying mount since you would be like adding preload yourself to the bushing and probablly wont last long at all.
Just drill the one out and if it is too close to the edge where the metal left is to thin then the mount is garbage.
And would need to be redesigned

Last edited by richardparker; 06-02-2011 at 04:12 PM.
Old 06-02-2011, 05:07 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by richardparker
If 2 holes line up Don't drill out all holes.
You will ruin the mount.
The mount itself can not be repositioned far as I know.
Their is no load on the side mount and drilling all 3 and attempting to reposition will make it a load carrying mount since you would be like adding preload yourself to the bushing and probablly wont last long at all.
Just drill the one out and if it is too close to the edge where the metal left is to thin then the mount is garbage.
And would need to be redesigned
I already know this to be the case, but since I wasn't offered a side mount that is guaranteed to fit, I guess I might as well try anyway. It's going to end up looking like a "C". I guess that's going to be the point of using a washer.
Old 06-02-2011, 05:28 PM

If it's going to be open on the side to look like a C then send that crap back.
Honestly that's poorly designed.
Streching the hole would be no biggie but if the hole is going to run right off the piece send it back.

Last edited by richardparker; 06-02-2011 at 05:31 PM.
Old 06-02-2011, 05:31 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
Originally Posted by XxXboboXxX
Any word on the 75a"s?? my axles jus got delivered so im just waiting on these
I have a shipment of mounts arriving on Mon/Tues. I'm hoping to have 75A bushing kits in those shipments.
Old 06-02-2011, 05:32 PM
Unregistered Member

If it's going to be open on the side to look like a C then send that crap back.
Honestly that's poorly designed.
Streching the hole would be no biggie but if the hole is going to run right off the piece send it back.
We'll have to see if others can get it on without problems. I know the tester got it, but I don't think anyone else has actually put it on.
Old 06-02-2011, 05:43 PM

I hope everyone else that pre ordered their mounts they come out good.
But I thought someone said they were made on the same jig.
Same jig = same issue.

Good luck fella's
Old 06-03-2011, 12:15 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts
I have a shipment of mounts arriving on Mon/Tues. I'm hoping to have 75A bushing kits in those shipments.

Neejay whenever i get the 75A mounted, we should compare if you ain't installed yet...
Old 06-03-2011, 01:01 AM
'03 ABP YA4-S 6MT

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Neejay
I'll take a video this weekend of what Im talking about.

There is no room to play. The mount's base rests basically against the shock-tower well. if I enlarged all the holes, then I'd need to slide the mount towards me for the rear hole to be able to get a screw started...which I can't do because there is no room to slide the mount.

The only option is to enlarge this hole ONLY and use a washer.
i shaved my innovative mount where it hit the shock tower, as it didn't fit. didn't have to drill the holes though
Old 06-03-2011, 09:24 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by AznWay

Neejay whenever i get the 75A mounted, we should compare if you ain't installed yet...
I'm not messing with the side mount anytime soon. I'll just do the front/rear for now.

Cool, let me know man!
Old 06-03-2011, 01:12 PM
Pro

I just did a quick sketch of the factory mount and our XLR8 side mount and the holes are larger on our mount and pretty much on center. We installed this same side mount in a local car and all the side mounts were made from the same jig.

If you feel it's off slightly bore out the hole but put a larger washer to spread the force of the bolt when tightened down.
Actually, have you tested/confirmed any of the 62a side mounts that you got in-stock fit 100%?
Old 06-05-2011, 08:10 PM
03 CLS-6

Received 123 Likes on 92 Posts
I hope so, if yes I'll order that unorthodox pulley set so you can ship them both out at the same time.
Old 06-06-2011, 03:42 PM
~~~~~~~~~~~

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
got all three 62a mounts installed today thanks to one fsttyms1 and his nutty friend. Install went fine with the exception of mounts just being shitty to replace. One of the side mount holes was off a tad but with the combination of loosening some bolts lifting/lowering the engine and a little pry action on the mount the side went on fine. The rear mount was where we had an issue and had to enlarge the holes on the mount a tiny bit to make them line up good.

Driving impressions......obviously there is going to be more vibrations, but while driving I had no issues whatsoever, highway speeds or around town, little more vibrations than normal but that is to be expected.

Now for the bad news, I am having a lot of vibrations when sitting at idle at say a stop light. Everything is vibrating, steering wheel, front seats, you can pretty much hear it vibrating. Not sure what to think of this, hoping Josh can chime in....should I let them break in a little??? Honestly the thought of having it vibrate like this may drive me to put the oem rear mount back on to see if that helps.
The following users liked this post:
zeta (06-06-2011)
Old 06-06-2011, 04:08 PM

You should not have any difulculty installing/do any lifting ,lower or prying on the side mount at all. You want that one to fit nice.
Front or rear,most likely.
After a few days I would check your mounts and make sure they are still tight and the side mount is not getting worn.

Installing the side mount like that is asking for issues.

They are on so,
Are you getting less wheel hop and quicker acceleration ?
That's what people are wanting to know.
Old 06-06-2011, 04:16 PM
~~~~~~~~~~~

You should not have any difulculty installing/do any lifting ,lower or prying on the side mount at all. You want that one to fit nice.
After a few days I would check your mounts and make sure they are still tight and the side mount is not getting worn.

They are on so,
I trusted Kris who did the install, the guy knows what he is doing on these cars.

No wheelhop whatsoever, I noticed that right away, shifting seemed crisper, probably better acceleration hard to tell, did not have much opportunity to get good runs in. They felt good......when not sitting at idle.
Old 06-06-2011, 04:34 PM

1 good reveiw and happy customer.
Great to hear.
Old 06-06-2011, 04:36 PM
~~~~~~~~~~~

1 good reveiw and happy customer.
Great to hear.
performance wise, but the vibrations at idle are quite an issue for me.
Old 06-06-2011, 04:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,858 Likes on 1,499 Posts
Originally Posted by 2003TL-S
got all three 62a mounts installed today.... Honestly the thought of having it vibrate like this may drive me to put the oem rear mount back on to see if that helps.
They felt good......when not sitting at idle.
Dam, and 62a is the softest. That's what has me on the fence about these (nuisance vibration). It may take some kind of mixed installation inclusive of OEM mounts to remedy excessive vibration in the cabin, if that is even possible.
Old 06-06-2011, 04:47 PM

They are a performance mount set up,you will lose most all comfort to gain performance.
And any pressure on the side mount to get it to snug up would possibly make it worse too.
Old 06-06-2011, 04:54 PM
Pro

They are on so,
I agree.
performance wise, but the vibrations at idle are quite an issue for me.
hmm...I expected some vibrations, but hopefully it won't be too bad.
Originally Posted by zeta
Dam, and 62a is the softest. That's what has me on the fence about these (nuisance vibration). It may take some kind of mixed installation inclusive of OEM mounts to remedy excessive vibration in the cabin, if that is even possible.
Wouldn't combining OEM and these new ones cause the OEM to wear quicker/faster?

What combo could possibly work out? I haven't installed any of mine yet.

They are a performance mount set up,you will lose most all comfort to gain performance.
And any pressure on the side mount to get it to snug up would possibly make it worse too.
This is my point too. I understand sliding/twisting/drilling the mount to line up IF it wouldn't change the geometry/load of the urethane, but that's not the case here. The side mount should fit without forcing anything. Front/rear, yeah of course.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:10 PM
03 acura cl type s

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
I love my comfort + Polly for now I'll see how the reviews go before I commit
Old 06-06-2011, 05:12 PM
~~~~~~~~~~~

Well, I just got off the phone with Excelerate and he had told me what I kind of assumed is that I should let them settle in for a few weeks, and see how they are. The other thing which I was not aware of was that the center bolt on the front and rear mount should only be torqued to 35ft/lbs, which I believe we did

Last edited by 2003TL-S; 06-06-2011 at 05:20 PM.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:14 PM
~~~~~~~~~~~

Well, I just got off the phone with Excelerate and he had told me what I kind of assumed is that I should let them settle in for a few weeks, and see how they are. The other thing which I was not aware of was that the center bolt on the front and rear mount should only be torqued to 35ft/lbs, which I do not believe they were.
the side mount....the only thing he said about that was along as the mount wasn't twisted to get it in, then it should be fine.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:24 PM
Unregistered Member

Ugh, looks like I'm going OEM. Don't want to force anything to fit.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:30 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,465 Likes on 4,982 Posts
Im having second thoughts about running these as well. Ill give them a try though, but if they dont work properly, Im back to OEM.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:32 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,858 Likes on 1,499 Posts
Wouldn't combining OEM and these new ones cause the OEM to wear quicker/faster?

What combo could possibly work out? I haven't installed any of mine yet.

Excellent questions!

I supect as the experimentation/reviews start with this new product there will be many opinions and, perhaps, set-up combinations.

Last edited by zeta; 06-06-2011 at 05:43 PM.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:47 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by zeta
Excellent questions!

I supect as the experimentation/reviews start with this new product there will be many opinions and, perhaps, set-up combinations.
I suppose. It won't be me though, I can't afford to keep trying this, and trying that. I was told none of the recent production ones were tested since they were all sent out to those waiting/pre-ordered.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:27 PM
~~~~~~~~~~~

I suppose. It won't be me though, I can't afford to keep trying this, and trying that. I was told none of the recent production ones were tested since they were all sent out to those waiting/pre-ordered.
After talking to Josh I am going to ride this out for a few weeks and see if they break in, I will update this as time goes on. I checked the the bolts that go through the center of the front/rear mounts and they were tightened properly, so all that is left to do is wait and see. As far as the side mount, I think after a few weeks, if nothing is better I will attempt to bore out one of the mounting holes on the side mount to make it fit properly. If that does nothing.......we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. I too can not afford time/money to switch things in and out trying to make them work, this is my daily driver. These are good mounts except for the bad vibrations at idle in gear.

Good thing is my oem front and oem rear mounts still looked good (no leaking anywhere), it was my side that was blown to smitherines.
Old 06-07-2011, 03:00 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
can you pls post a vid of the car @ idle? ruf posted one and it was horrible. the vibes were so bad in my cls that i went back to oem on the rear and that cleard the problem up. still using the innovative crap on the side and front. they need to be replaced soon.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:17 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Mike
can you pls post a vid of the car @ idle? ruf posted one and it was horrible. the vibes were so bad in my cls that i went back to oem on the rear and that cleard the problem up. still using the innovative crap on the side and front. they need to be replaced soon.
+1 - I would like to see a water cup/regular vid at idle.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:15 AM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
Does the car idle harsh whe. In neutral? I bet the 6 speed guys won't have a rough idle
Old 06-07-2011, 08:33 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
just a thought on these vibrations ... what are you guys doin with the vacuum lines to the oem mounts ?
Old 06-07-2011, 08:36 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
oh ya the guy that showed pic of mis alligned side mount ... looks like it would fit fine to me ...dont make holes bigger ...if its already pinned againt strut tower shave the out side an 1/8th inch ... the holes already look bigger than bolts and its just not off by much at all
Old 06-07-2011, 08:43 AM
~~~~~~~~~~~

Originally Posted by typeR
just a thought on these vibrations ... what are you guys doin with the vacuum lines to the oem mounts ?
Plugged them....
Old 06-07-2011, 08:43 AM
~~~~~~~~~~~

Originally Posted by phee
Does the car idle harsh whe. In neutral? I bet the 6 speed guys won't have a rough idle
Park and neutral was ok, just when I put it in gear and was at idle.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:46 AM
~~~~~~~~~~~

+1 - I would like to see a water cup/regular vid at idle.
I will try to as soon as I can.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:57 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
As was said wait a few weeks for the bushings to break in. The vibrations should subside. I would post a video once the bushings have broken in.
The following users liked this post:
2003TL-S (06-07-2011)

Quick Reply: The motor mount thread