growl/vibration when AC pump or fan engages

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2004, 01:11 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
growl/vibration when AC pump or fan engages

Hey all!

I did a search to see if anyone got this fixed and there was no follow up. I know some people said this is normal for our cars but I'm starting to detect a more constant vibration (not nearly as loud) and my car is starting to sound like there is something loose (metallic vibration) whenever the AC pump kicks on. If I turn off the AC it's silent.

Did anyone (from the posts in 2003) get this issue resolved?

Thanks!
Old 06-17-2004, 02:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 222 Likes on 183 Posts
Normal. Mine has done it since day 1. I had 2 CL's both did it.
Old 06-17-2004, 02:55 PM
DP's for life

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sundance_gold
Hey all!

I did a search to see if anyone got this fixed and there was no follow up. I know some people said this is normal for our cars but I'm starting to detect a more constant vibration (not nearly as loud) and my car is starting to sound like there is something loose (metallic vibration) whenever the AC pump kicks on. If I turn off the AC it's silent.

Did anyone (from the posts in 2003) get this issue resolved?

Thanks!
Brought my car to the dealer (last week) and they said it was normal...Of course I said that was BS. Wating to hear back from the Service Manager on what they are going to do next.
Old 06-17-2004, 03:23 PM
Racer

thanks. Taking mine in for service this weekend.
Old 06-17-2004, 05:10 PM
Sweet as Gold

are u sure it's from the a/c compressor and not the blower motor. If it's from the blower motor then most likely u got a small leaf or something stuck inside the blower motor...if so just pop under the passenger side dash and drop the motor (3 screws) and then remove the debris and re-install.

If it's coming from the engine bay when the a/c is on the it's prolly ur a/c compressor. It's NOT normal if it's gettin loader than u've ever heard. When it becomes engaged it should make a slight hum noise...thats normal. But a groan or vibration...most likely ur compressor bearing or compressor clutch.

let me know what ur dealer found..
Old 06-18-2004, 08:11 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 222 Likes on 183 Posts
If it's coming from the engine bay when the a/c is on the it's prolly ur a/c compressor. It's NOT normal if it's gettin loader than u've ever heard. When it becomes engaged it should make a slight hum noise...thats normal. But a groan or vibration...most likely ur compressor bearing or compressor clutch.
I had 2 CL's with the same AC noises. I have groan & vibration. Seems normal to me. If there was a problem I'd have to wait for it to break cause the crap dealers here don't know anything.
Old 06-18-2004, 09:44 AM
DP's for life

I know that the noise is coming from the engine bay...passeneger side near the altinator. The grown is a normal sound, but I also have a high pitched vibration noise that only occurs when the A/C compressor and the front fans come on...

Originally Posted by Ant7701
are u sure it's from the a/c compressor and not the blower motor. If it's from the blower motor then most likely u got a small leaf or something stuck inside the blower motor...if so just pop under the passenger side dash and drop the motor (3 screws) and then remove the debris and re-install.

let me know what ur dealer found..
Old 06-21-2004, 02:36 AM
Cruisin'

Noise

I found that it was my air filter that was giving me that noise. I changed the filter and then two weeks later i had the noise again. I opened the compartment for the air filter and noticed the filter was not situated correctly. I didn't secure the plastic compartment tightly. I have had no further problems.

Check the filter...it may be so dirty that you need a new one. Also check to see that you don't have particles stuck underneath the air filter.

MM :P
Old 06-21-2004, 11:00 AM
DP's for life

I will look at that...thanks for the suggestion.

Sundance...What did they find at service?
Old 06-21-2004, 11:13 AM
Instructor

Yeah I get a terrlbe drown when the compressor kicks on.
Old 06-21-2004, 01:08 PM
Audi S4 driver

yeah I get a drone too when compressor kicks on, have since day one.
Old 06-21-2004, 04:29 PM
Instructor

mine drones especially loud when im in drive and the car is not moving, once i give it a little gas the drone lessens
Old 08-25-2004, 09:25 PM
03 ABP CLS 6M/T Navi

ac sounds really disturbing

Hey guys,
i did a search and found this topic. I need input if this AC problem is really a normal for CL. I just trade in my 03 CL - 5a/t (25K miles) for 03 6m/t (3k miles) back in May. Both of them giving a hising sound whenever the ac kicks in. The thing is they happen really often. The sound comes from underneath of the passenger seat.
I do not think there is something wrong with the filter (based on the miles of the car).

I took my car to service, and the technician took a ride with me and said the sound is really loud. BUT my service advisor said there is normal, and start to explain about the component of the AC(bla..bla..bla.,..) and ask me to go home and leave with it (the sound).

It really pissed me off since even my civic does not do that, and integra and TL does not do that either.

Please check this with me or let me know if any of u get this fixed.

thanks in advance
Old 08-25-2004, 09:33 PM
M to da DZ

I hear a hiss from my AC too, it's light, but noticable. if i turn off my ac, the hiss goes away. i'm not worried about it. as long as my ac gets cold as hell, i dont care.
Old 08-25-2004, 10:44 PM
Duplicate, Never Imitate!

Originally Posted by mattdaddyz
I hear a hiss from my AC too, it's light, but noticable. if i turn off my ac, the hiss goes away. i'm not worried about it. as long as my ac gets cold as hell, i dont care.
I get the same thing but its not something that has always been there. It just recently appeared Right before I changed my ac cabin filters and it continued afterwards. But my ac still works so I dont know if its a bad thing or what. Anyone else has an opinion?
Old 08-26-2004, 07:42 AM
Racer

sorry I didn't see the reponse above...until now. I'm being told all is normal. I don't buy it though. I was driving to work this morning and the car hesitated 2x right around 2000 rpm (this is a new one).

The sound I get (aside from the growl) is this metallic hum like sound--like a metallic plate is vibrating. When you hold your foot firmly on the brake and press the accelerator slightly, the pitch of the hum goes up as the engine revs and then goes away.

I'll check the air filter....I need to look at that anyhow.
Old 08-26-2004, 08:42 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 696 Likes on 538 Posts
I also get some kind of growl /hiss type of a sound when A/C is on, car is in Drive, and my foot is on brake.
I did not even bother mentioning it to the dealer, i am sure they will say its normal.
I also think I had it for a while, perhaps even from day 1 I bought the car...
maybe it iis normal, eventhough iit should not be like that....
Old 08-26-2004, 12:04 PM
Racer

My car has been making a groaning sound from turning the A/C on for over a year now. It is coming from the alternator region as well. I do have pullies so that may be the answer. There is no change in performance and the A/C works fine. Its just a very noticeable sound