E-Manage Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2003, 05:19 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Use an LED and place it right in the dash pod,.. or if you can get it behind the A/C vent, pointing towards the driver that would be good also.
Old 11-25-2003, 05:21 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by scalbert
BTW, although your e-Manage came in on Friday I didn't get it until yesterday. I installed and loaded my program this morning and it ran perfectly.

It is going out today; I'll PM you the tracking number later.
Thanks Steve.
Old 11-25-2003, 07:02 AM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can you clamp the IAT sensor output voltage to the 'desired' value - say when its 40C outside - via the E-manage? This way the only variable affecting timing is TPS, MAP and the knock-sensor?
Old 11-25-2003, 07:36 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by allmotor_2000
Can you clamp the IAT sensor output voltage to the 'desired' value - say when its 40C outside - via the E-manage? This way the only variable affecting timing is TPS, MAP and the knock-sensor?
Nope, nor would you want to without extended tuning.

The IAT is not a transmitter; powered sensor. It is merely a variable resistor and would not work through the e-Manage. The ECU provides a source voltage and it is dropped relative to temperature and read back by the ECU; a two wire passive sensor.

As to why you wouldn't want to do it; it is about 30% of the load calculation. So you would need to tune further taking into account its actual value. Little would be gained with timing here anyway as the ECT is significantly used for timing in addition to the other sensors.
Old 11-26-2003, 07:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

So to bypass the vtec, I have a small problem. The vtm wire has broken off of my frog harness. I need one pin that I can put into the connector and solder a new wire to the back of it. I'm not sure where to get one around here, and I'm betting you've got an extra one you could part with. It's the pin that goes in the male connector that you have mounted in the box. Any chance you could drop one in the mail for me? Or any ideas where to get one,...the Radio Shack kid looked at me and said
Old 11-26-2003, 07:48 PM
Suzuka Master

The male pins in the socket were fixed. They were part of the mold it appeared. I do have a few extra female pins which go in the plugs. It appears you need the other end though and this is something I feared with mine and why I left the strain releif on. Even though it hampered the packaging.
Old 11-27-2003, 06:31 AM
Three Wheelin'

Is there some type of wire-end I can insert in the back of the stock plug to use as a jumper?

It is the wire that you don't use if you wire vtec thru the eman, so for a while it was cut and taped, and ended up broken from all the handling.

I think what I might do is have a male only connector made with long tails, and using the plugs I have, do what you did, although It will need to be a little different. The RPM signal is from connector A wich comes from the drivers side of the dash. It is the only wire used from connector A so I might just use a tapped QD connector on the stock harness for that one. Connector D is not used at all for the eman, but is all wrapped up with B & C, so I'll either have to unwrap the large harness, and try to split them, or just add it in to the custom harness.
Old 11-27-2003, 06:46 AM
Suzuka Master

You could probably tap into the wire end of the plgs and jumper that signal just fine. I would begin with a small paper clip and see if it will slide in next to the wire and make a solid contact. Then just solder a wire to it and tape it up.

Yea, I'm just using the two connectors of main relevance. The RPM signal is also on another connector which I just used a tap into it with a bullet connector in case it needs to be removed.

I'll see if I can get your socket and pulgs and let you know early next week. If so I'll make up a harness for you if you would like?? I'd just need your e-Manage harnesses.
Old 11-27-2003, 08:26 AM
Three Wheelin'

I'll see if I can get your socket and pulgs and let you know early next week. If so I'll make up a harness for you if you would like?? I'd just need your e-Manage harnesses.
That would be great. Let me know if you can, and I'll send you the harness.

I'm changing out the front header, T-Stat, and fan switch this weekend, along with a few things on the Si. It's about 40* here so it's not that cold just yet.

BTW, nice write up over at AW.
Old 11-27-2003, 09:04 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by ModAddict
It's about 40* here so it's not that cold just yet.

40 degrees is a bit too cold for me to be outside.
Old 11-27-2003, 09:05 AM
Suzuka Master

BTW, nice write up over at AW.
There was an ulterior motive for that.
Old 12-01-2003, 04:16 AM
Suzuka Master

What a surprise; I guess there is enough RPM resolution to fully control timing. I was able to advance timing!!

I set up the e-Manage to advance timing 5 degrees when the MAP voltage was below 3.0VDC and retard it 5 degrees above the same voltage level. I used a Tektronix hand held scope with dual channels to view the input and output ignition signals and was able to see the corresponding offset. There was an approximate 5 degrees in the timing offset of the two signals; preceding or trailing depending on what I was doing with the throttle.

What does this mean; you NA guys have a tool to get more power. And it is programmable for you self tuners.

I may try to hook up with someone local and see what we can get out of their motor through tuning the e-Manage. I would expect some decent and noticeable gains to be available similar to the Unichip.
Old 12-01-2003, 04:25 AM
Suzuka Master

The next step will be to tie the HO2S1 into the e-Manage for data acquisition capability. This is until a UEGO is ordered and installed. I'll tie it in as a second airflow signal and monitor the value at WOT. Currently I see about 920mV and based on what Brad has seen (making assumptions here) this would be in the mid 10's:1 A/F ratio. This does correspond somewhat to what I would expect as an output and that A/F ratio.

So I will try to extend the pulse width just to see an increase in the voltage value. From there I will drop the pressure and start tuning to hit 870mV across the whole RPM band.

I should have this done in the next couple of days.
Old 12-01-2003, 06:49 AM
Safety Car

This is good stuff!!
Old 12-01-2003, 09:14 AM
Three Wheelin'

What a surprise; I guess there is enough RPM resolution to fully control timing. I was able to advance timing!!
Wow,.... that sure changes things!! Great news!!
Old 12-01-2003, 04:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

The next step will be to tie the HO2S1 into the e-Manage for data acquisition capability. This is until a UEGO is ordered and installed. I'll tie it in as a second airflow signal and monitor the value at WOT. Currently I see about 920mV and based on what Brad has seen (making assumptions here) this would be in the mid 10's:1 A/F ratio. This does correspond somewhat to what I would expect as an output and that A/F ratio.

So I will try to extend the pulse width just to see an increase in the voltage value. From there I will drop the pressure and start tuning to hit 870mV across the whole RPM band.

I should have this done in the next couple of days.
Steve be careful up high. I had alot of highway time today and with the TStat, and the cooler temps here, my A/F ratio has leaned out quite a bit. From a 70 mph cruise, I went right to the floor, hit the kickdown gear, and rode it right to the shift at the redline. At 41* ambient temp, it would start at 10.5:1 and rise to 11.5:1 at the top. On the way home the ambient temp was 36* and it went from 10.8:1 up to11.8:1.

I know your temps aren't that cold there, but do you think the TStat swap could somehow effect the A/F ratio in a round about way. I was always able to bury the A/F ratio before the TStat swap. The headers helped a bit, but I could still bury it. The cooler temps helped even more, but I was still able to bounce it off the 10:1 bottom. I guess if 5* ambient temp difference can change the A/F ratio three tenths, then up at 48* could put the A/F at 10:1. What ever the reason, the TL-S is running really, really, strong, and the only difference is the TStat swap and the ambient temps are down 5-10 degrees.

BTW, I got the E-Man unit back today. Thanks again for checking it out.
Old 12-01-2003, 06:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts

I set up the e-Manage to advance timing 5 degrees when the MAP voltage was below 3.0VDC and retard it 5 degrees above the same voltage level. I used a Tektronix hand held scope with dual channels to view the input and output ignition signals and was able to see the corresponding offset. There was an approximate 5 degrees in the timing offset of the two signals; preceding or trailing depending on what I was doing with the throttle.

What does this mean; you NA guys have a tool to get more power. And it is programmable for you self tuners.

I may try to hook up with someone local and see what we can get out of their motor through tuning the e-Manage. I would expect some decent and noticeable gains to be available similar to the Unichip.

this is great news.
Old 12-02-2003, 03:02 AM
Pro

great news guys man its cold this am i just came back from a run at 30 degrees and man does it pull emanage+ic+cold temps=wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-02-2003, 03:19 AM
Suzuka Master

Steve be careful up high. I had alot of highway time today and with the TStat, and the cooler temps here, my A/F ratio has leaned out quite a bit. From a 70 mph cruise, I went right to the floor, hit the kickdown gear, and rode it right to the shift at the redline. At 41* ambient temp, it would start at 10.5:1 and rise to 11.5:1 at the top. On the way home the ambient temp was 36* and it went from 10.8:1 up to11.8:1.
Thanks for the tip, which is needed information. I will proceed cautiously.

BTW, whose wide band are you using?? Do they have it without a display and just an analog output?? Also, how much was yours?? I am waiting on a price from Dean on the AEM UEGO but also wanted options.
Old 12-02-2003, 04:41 AM
Suzuka Master

I just tried to set it up to accept a second airflow input signal but this did not work out. It would not acknowledge the 2nd airflow sensor signal input settings. My guess is that there is some dependency on the switch settings also. With it showing the Honda pressure input as the primary the firmware may ignore the 2nd input.

Oh well, I was just going to use it for data logging the HO2S1 signal anyway. I can use the OBD-2 software for this.

I did change it back to VTEC and will use the output signal to trigger a buzzer instead of a light. This will be easier to add and should be accomplished today.
Old 12-02-2003, 06:59 AM
Safety Car

What guage will you use with the AEM UEGO... it seems to be the cheapest real wide-band (using the Bosch O2 sensor) sensor out there!
Old 12-02-2003, 07:11 AM
Revving at 9K...

That is damn sweet!! So now I'm wondering about controlling the Vtec engagement. Seems like the result was not good when you tried to control it with E-manage. I would think that Uni-Chip would have the same result, therefore, not worth the time and money?

Because believe it or not, Tony brought up some of the things you've mentioned when I asked them about getting the Vtec module.

As soon as I get my AC for the S, I'm going E-manage for sure.
Old 12-02-2003, 07:53 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by allmotor_2000
What guage will you use with the AEM UEGO... it seems to be the cheapest real wide-band (using the Bosch O2 sensor) sensor out there!
No gauge, just data log the 0 - 5VDC output and correlate it to RPM. I'll do a XY Plot (X being RPM and Y being A/F ratio). I have portable high speed data acquisition equipment at my disposal so I might as well use it. I can sample quicker than the sensors can respond; 100 kHz continuous.

I may end up putting a gauge in the glove box though.

And yes, the AEM unti seems to be priced great.
Old 12-02-2003, 07:57 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by CLS2001_97124
I would think that Uni-Chip would have the same result, therefore, not worth the time and money?

As soon as I get my AC for the S, I'm going E-manage for sure.
I don't know if the Unichip would have the same results. But it could seeing as the inputs and outputs from the e-Manage seemed correct. It could be solved though with a little research. But as you mention, is it even worth it.

Did you mean IC in that last sentence; I thought you already had air conditioning. :P
Old 12-02-2003, 11:40 AM
Revving at 9K...

lol, AC = AfterCooler... But having Air Conditioner is also good for the summer.
Old 12-02-2003, 02:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

BTW, whose wide band are you using?? Do they have it without a display and just an analog output?? Also, how much was yours?? I am waiting on a price from Dean on the AEM UEGO but also wanted options.
http://techedge.com.au/

There is tons of ifo here, including DIY units. I purchased the 1.5 version before the 2.0 was available. At the time the sesor was $100 from the Parts Bin. Now they are over $300. The v2.0 uses the EUGO sensor, so there is less cost with the sensor now. You can get it w/o the display and log the analog output, along with a few other parameters of your choosing. You can also send the ecu a narrowband signal and use the stock O2 bung for the wideband sensor w/o throwing a code. Most of what I said here pertains to the v1.5, but I assume the v2.0 does the same and then some. Spend some time looking it over, and let me know what you think. I will need to upgrade mine when my sensor craps out down the road. As I said there is tons of info there. Tech Edge has been around for a while, and has a good reputation. They were very responsive to the few questions I had when I was hooking it up. The prices are all in Austrailian $, which is much less than US$. They will have the current $ exchange on the site somewhere, but I think it's aroud 1/3.
Old 12-02-2003, 04:22 PM
Safety Car

I have a 3GHz real-time scope and a couple of 70GHz BW scopes if you need any experiments done. Not to mention a 110GHz Network Analyzer
Old 12-03-2003, 05:18 AM
Suzuka Master

http://techedge.com.au/

There is tons of ifo here, including DIY units.
I'll probably go with the DIY system after all. I like the fact that it has an RPM input and has a serial ouput. This alone would negate the need for me to come up with my own program.

Thanks...
Old 12-03-2003, 08:26 AM
Suzuka Master

I got the buzzer hooked up and set for 6700 RPM and it works. Although I could set it a bit lower. The revs are climbing quickly where by the time I hear it and begin to shift I am already at the rev limiter. I think I'll drop it to 6500 RPM.
Old 12-03-2003, 09:27 AM
Three Wheelin'

I'll probably go with the DIY system after all. I like the fact that it has an RPM input and has a serial ouput. This alone would negate the need for me to come up with my own program.

Thanks...
Are you going to wait for the 2.0 DIY kit so you can use the less expensive sensors? As I recall, the prebuilt kits were not that much more than the prebuilt.
Old 12-03-2003, 09:28 AM
Three Wheelin'

I got the buzzer hooked up and set for 6700 RPM and it works. Although I could set it a bit lower. The revs are climbing quickly where by the time I hear it and begin to shift I am already at the rev limiter. I think I'll drop it to 6500 RPM.
I like the buzzer idea.
Old 12-03-2003, 10:07 AM
Suzuka Master

Are you going to wait for the 2.0 DIY kit so you can use the less expensive sensors? As I recall, the prebuilt kits were not that much more than the prebuilt.
According to their site the DIY kits ship a few days after the order is received.

We have been shipping WBo2 (version 2.0) pre-built units and kits since early August. Right now we're shipping pre-built units from stock, and DIY kits are taking just a few days to ship
Yes, I will be getting the DIY 2.0 kit. I should be able to get everything, including the display, for about $230. This would include the LSU4 sensor. The pre-built kit would run about $415.
Old 12-03-2003, 10:30 AM
Three Wheelin'

According to their site the DIY kits ship a few days after the order is received.
Great! I only looked briefly at the site.
Yes, I will be getting the DIY 2.0 kit. I should be able to get everything, including the display, for about $230. This would include the LSU4 sensor. The pre-built kit would run about $415.
That's a subsantial difference! Deffinately worth it if you have the "right stuff" to put it together.

For those that don't want DIY, $415 is still a good value.
Old 12-03-2003, 10:32 AM
Three Wheelin'

HeHe,....another project for you!
Old 12-03-2003, 10:33 AM
Suzuka Master

For those that don't want DIY, $415 is still a good value.
Without a doubt!!!

I was just about to order the AEM unit for about $350. Now I can get this, have an RPM input reference and a display for over $100 less ($65 more for non-DYI). And the software to read and log the data is already made saving me more time and is free.
Old 12-03-2003, 10:34 AM
Suzuka Master

HeHe,....another project for you!
Looks like I'll come in at about 5:00AM a couple of mornings. That or pay one of our technicians to do it.
Old 12-03-2003, 11:24 AM
Three Wheelin'

Steve, it dawned on me today that they might have started using the winter fuel here in the soon to be "Great White North", and that may be the cause my leaner than normal A/F ratios. There are some sort of additives used in the winter, that if I'm not mistaken, can lean things up a bit.
Old 12-03-2003, 08:25 PM
Safety Car

The tech-edge was a very good find
Old 12-04-2003, 02:36 AM
Suzuka Master

Steve, it dawned on me today that they might have started using the winter fuel here in the soon to be "Great White North", and that may be the cause my leaner than normal A/F ratios. There are some sort of additives used in the winter, that if I'm not mistaken, can lean things up a bit.
Hrmm, intersting. I'll still move cautiously and might be delayed a little while waiting on the WBo2.

I plan on getting a bleed screw from Comptech for the FPR to get it set the way I will ultimately be running it; at about a 5:1 rate.

BTW, keep that white stuff up there, we can't handle it down here.
Old 12-04-2003, 04:32 AM
Three Wheelin'

I plan on getting a bleed screw from Comptech for the FPR to get it set the way I will ultimately be running it; at about a 5:1 rate.
I'm sure you've seen this. On pages 2 & 3 it shows the graphs of the effect the different springs and calibration washers have on FP vs Boost. Of course you would need to dissasemble the fpr to do so.

http://www.comptechusa.com/instructions/ins036.pdf

Quick Reply: E-Manage Thread