E-Manage Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2003, 04:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E-Manage Thread

E-manage unit, software and harnesses, are here. OBD II scan tool is on the way.

If I understand correctly, I can wire up the E-Manage Unit, load up the software, and run/log the car, with no changes, right out of the box.

So,......let's get started!
Old 10-24-2003, 06:02 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yup.... just need to calibrate the TPS signal!

Good luck...
Old 10-24-2003, 06:51 PM
Suzuka Master

Yes and no. There are jumpers and switch settings to identify the type of air flow sensors and RPM signal. Beyond that, yes, you are good to go along with the needed TPS calibration.

Seriously, no, it is not ready yet. There are several questions I am trying to resolve about the switch settings and jumper positions. I do hope to have everything resolved next week though.

There is also a possibly of damage to the e-Manage, ECU, ignition coils or even the engine if done improperly. This is why caution is needed on a new application as the unit is flexible but needs to be set up correctly.
Old 10-24-2003, 07:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by scalbert
Yes and no. There are jumpers and switch settings to identify the type of air flow sensors and RPM signal. Beyond that, yes, you are good to go along with the needed TPS calibration.

Seriously, no, it is not ready yet. There are several questions I am trying to resolve about the switch settings and jumper positions. I do hope to have everything resolved next week though.

There is also a possibly of damage to the e-Manage, ECU, ignition coils or even the engine if done improperly. This is why caution is needed on a new application as the unit is flexible but needs to be set up correctly.
I was just writing this up. The jumpers seamed clear for VTec engines. The rotary 1 & 2 settings are clear. First setting, set to #7 - 6 coil (coil on plug) 6 cyl, Second setting set to #8 as both Honda first didgits are #8. The third setting however is not clear. Setting "A" for the "HN PR-1" MAP for the B16's & 18's, and the H & F 20 & 22's. The only one listed For setting "B", HN PR-2" is the B20B.

I was going to try to cross reference the Denso MAP sensor from the J32B with the B20B.

I guessed "B", and closed it up, but will need to verify this of course. Also the wiring diagram samples they give don't exactly match up, so this too will need to be verified.
Old 10-24-2003, 07:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

Are you questioning some of the jumper settings?
Old 10-24-2003, 07:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

The F22B is listed as an HN PR-2 MAP in a corrected listing.
Old 10-24-2003, 07:32 PM
Suzuka Master

I'm questioning all as some information is not correct. I want to know the specifics on the SW2 and SW3; what they actually define. I have a message into Greddy on this matter. But if you cross reference the MAP then it may be moot as Greddy provides the e-Manage with their K-Series turbo kits.

There are some questions regarding the jumpers but those seem to be minimal. I don't recall exactly what they were but my notes at the office have some uncertainties.

I agree about the wiring diagrams and have read others making the same comment. It seems they mixed some information. I want to put a scope on the ignition signals to verify they are working correctly before I let this control them.
Old 10-24-2003, 08:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

Scope it out!

pics of harnesses,...not sure we'll get a crack at these though.
http://photos.groups.yahoo.com/group...c=gr%26.view=t
Old 10-24-2003, 08:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

This 2000, S2000 used 8-C for SW2-SW3

http://www.redlnr.com/S2000_eManage_Install.htm

his jumpers match our manual
Old 10-24-2003, 09:49 PM
Three Wheelin'

OK, I found an RSX uses the "new" 8-D for the SW2-SW3 in the GReddy turbo kit that includes the e-manage. The maps are also available.

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...e/message/4248
Old 10-25-2003, 05:17 AM
Suzuka Master

Here is what I have deduced so far, I beleive it should be:

SW1: 7 - 6 coil (coil on plug) 6 cyl
SW2: 8 - I want clear definitions of what these do from Greddy
SW3: B - I want clear definitions of what these do from Greddy

Since our ignition uses 12VDC positive true logic:

JP1: 2-3
JP2: 2-3

Yes, VTEC:

JP3: 2-3
JP4: 1-2

Sub-Injectors, Not Yet so:

JP5: Off
JP6: Off

VTEC, Again:

JP7: Off
Old 10-25-2003, 05:25 AM
Three Wheelin'

I saw someone sent their wideband signal thru the sub-injector signal to log along side the other values. I want to try this as it should be helpful to tune with.
Old 10-25-2003, 07:43 AM
Three Wheelin'

SW2: 8 - I want clear definitions of what these do from Greddy
SW3: B - I want clear definitions of what these do from Greddy

There must be different voltage outputs from the MAP for different pressure values, and different ranges, for the various MAP sensors. This might not get us in trouble right away with a wrong selection, but would surely cause inacurate calibration of the e-manage. As I was looking for cross refference PNs, I noticed our MAP sensor was about $60, while the RSX's is over $200!

Since our ignition uses 12VDC positive true logic:

JP1: 2-3
JP2: 2-3
This makes sense. The JP2 is either +5V or +12V signal from the ECU to the coils, so it's cut and dry. JP1 may be cut and dry to you, which is great, because I don't have a clue.

"JP1 Ignition input pullup/pulldown select
1-2 A resistor is pulled up the +ve rail
2-3 A resistor is pulled down to ground
* Use 1-2 when the ECU's driver transistor is
connected to ground"
Old 10-25-2003, 08:47 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by ModAddict
There must be different voltage outputs from the MAP for different pressure values, and different ranges, for the various MAP sensors.

This makes sense. The JP2 is either +5V or +12V signal from the ECU to the coils, so it's cut and dry. JP1 may be cut and dry to you, which is great, because I don't have a clue.

"JP1 Ignition input pullup/pulldown select
1-2 A resistor is pulled up the +ve rail
2-3 A resistor is pulled down to ground
* Use 1-2 when the ECU's driver transistor is
connected to ground"
That is why I was waiting on information from Greddy concenring the actual swicth setting specifications.

As for JP1, our off state of the ignition coil signal is 0 VDC. It pulses to 12VDC to trigger the coil. So a pull down resistor is needed to keep the off state at 0VDC.
Old 10-25-2003, 02:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

There is an rpm signal needed on the main/injector harness. The only one looks like Connector A 32P-19, NEP engine speed pulse.

Also on the main/injector harness, there are two grounds, one for the unit itself, and another for an injector ground. There are three on the 25P harness; PG1, PG2, LG1. In your wiring diagram, you chose IGP2 for power, and PG2 for ground. Any ideas/suggestions?

That's to be the only question on the main/injector harness.

The ignition harness seams straight forward. V6 with individual ignition, the ECU ignition signal 1-6 in follows in order with the e-manage chanel 1-6. It also instructs you to move jumper pins JP1 and JP2 to 2-3.
Old 10-25-2003, 06:47 PM
Three Wheelin'

I saw someone sent their wideband signal thru the sub-injector signal to log along side the other values. I want to try this as it should be helpful to tune with.
I misunderstood this. I will need to look into this more. I can log with the wideband alone, but I'm unsure if I'll be able to integrate it into the e-manage
Old 10-25-2003, 07:52 PM
Suzuka Master

There is an rpm signal needed on the main/injector harness.
You will use the ignition coil 1 signal for the RPM input.
Old 10-25-2003, 08:10 PM
Safety Car

Isn't there a tach output off the main harness?
Old 10-25-2003, 08:18 PM
Suzuka Master

Offf the ECU harness, no. Most of the data to the dash isn't analog. I confirmed using the ignition coil 1 signal for the RPM input.
Old 10-25-2003, 09:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

Old 10-25-2003, 09:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

Wait,.... the stock signal, rather than the potentialy altered one, right?
Old 10-25-2003, 10:22 PM
///M POWER

<--------------confused as fuck
Old 10-26-2003, 05:24 AM
Three Wheelin'

[B]Also on the main/injector harness, there are two grounds, one for the unit itself, and another for an injector ground.[B]
There's no reason I shouldn't just tie these together, right?
Old 10-26-2003, 05:58 AM
Suzuka Master

Wait,.... the stock signal, rather than the potentialy altered one, right?
Correct, the ECU output.
Old 10-26-2003, 05:59 AM
Suzuka Master

There's no reason I shouldn't just tie these together, right?
That would be fine.
Old 10-26-2003, 06:21 AM
Suzuka Master

BTW, guess what is sitting on my desk next to me...
Old 10-26-2003, 06:25 AM
Suzuka Master

Old 10-26-2003, 06:49 AM
Three Wheelin'

I've got a clear understanding of the wiring, and I'm considering moving forward without a plug-in harness. The ECU wires that get cut will have connectors to allow simple removal of the e-manage, and return them to the stock configuration. The spliced connections could be tapped with a short wire with similar connectors on the end with the matching connector on the e-manage harness. This way I can take my time and complete the wiring without hooking up the unit.

What about using generic connectors, with enough pins to allow for a single plug, and a jumper plug to use when the unit's not being used.
Old 10-26-2003, 08:28 AM
Suzuka Master

I'm going to wait on a harness as it is tight down there for 27 wire taps or splices.
Old 10-26-2003, 08:44 AM
Three Wheelin'

I'm going to wait on a harness as it is tight down there for 27 wire taps or splices.
Look at page 28 of the instruction manual. ECU wire location chart H-1 has the same connector as ours. I have the ECU from my son's 99 Si, and it is the same except plug D has no pins in it. I'm thinking this harness is an off the shelf item.

Do you think you can buy one allready made for the e-manage, or buy the harness and integrate the e-manage into it yourself?
Old 10-26-2003, 09:00 AM
Three Wheelin'

I'm like a kid with a new toy. I can't wait to put it together and start playing with it. Maybe I'll wait for the OBD-II scan tool and play with that for a while.
Old 10-26-2003, 10:03 AM
Three Wheelin'

The connectors for the 99-00 civic and 00-01 integra should work.
Old 10-26-2003, 11:28 AM
Suzuka Master

Do you think you can buy one allready made for the e-manage, or buy the harness and integrate the e-manage into it yourself?
That is the plan, everything would be prewired in the end. But first, baby steps...
Old 10-27-2003, 05:28 PM
Three Wheelin'

Steve, I just read your post from the emanage forum about WinXP. Does this mean I can't use this with WinXP? I just upgraded from ME to XP for a new product I sell.
Old 10-28-2003, 03:37 AM
Suzuka Master

Don't be discouraged yet, it may have been something else I am looking into. I was using a 13VDC power supply with a 0.8 Amp capacity. I beleive the e-Manage was loading the power supply to much causing intermitant issues.

I have it hooked up to a battery right now to a Win2000 box. I will be running some tests with this and will let you know.

But I still suspect there are some issues with XP as it didn't report any errors like it did with ME.
Old 10-28-2003, 03:58 AM
Suzuka Master

Oh yea, this is working much better. Now I just need to determine if it was the power or the OS...
Old 10-28-2003, 04:05 AM
Suzuka Master

Did you see the information on the Greddy RS-X Turbo kit which includes the e-Manage?? They are actually advancing the timing in the unit although I don't know if it is actually advancing in the real world. But it does give hope that it might be a possibility for us but particularly the NA guys.

Also, I found one difference in the airflow signal type from what I had mentioned before. I had SW2 and SW3 set for 8B; when I selected the Additional Injection option it returned an error stating that incorrect switch settings are applied. By changing it to 8D (Same as the RS-X Kit) it did not show this error.

In the next day or two I'm going to test this with a scope to verify it will actually extend the pulse width as expected. I'll also play with the timing to see if it will be able to retard and even advance the timing.

I prefer to test this on the bench before applying it to our car where it hasn't been done before.
Old 10-28-2003, 04:08 AM
Suzuka Master

One last thing. FROG does not have the correct parts in stock for our application and they are now busy so it would be a while before a harness is available.

However, I got one quote and am waiting on another for the parts since the first one could not supply everything. But I may have the connectors as soon as next week though...
Old 10-28-2003, 05:29 AM
Three Wheelin'

I was wondering if you would be able to test it on the bench. Nice work.

Is the updated firmware you were downloading coming from the e-manage unit itself? Please try the XP OS again. If it's not going to work, I'll need to come up with something else. I still have the battery out of the TL-S. I could power up the e-manage with that, and try the download.

I saw the timing advance comment, but did not think it was accurate. Maybe the unit can do so based on history.

The other thing that looks promising is the posible avialability of knock sensor logging thru the e-manage. We tuned the LS1's by taking it to the point of knock retard and backing of a notch. It was quite efective, but could change a bit with the seasons.

I found a couple of harness fabricators, although only one responded. Joe at LoCash Racing will make up a custom harness for the e-manage, meaning a straight thru connector with the wires cut and tapped per our specs, $210 shipped, or a straight thru harness, un-tapped, w/o connector "D", for $165, and I'm awaiting the price for one that is straight thru with only connectors B & C wired. I was origionaly asking for pricing on the connectors and pins only, but he would not to do that, and that could be why I didn't here back from Hybrid Garage either. Getting the connectors and pins only would be best.

I recieved the OBD II Car Code and downloaded the software with no problems. I really need to figure out the wideband logging. If I remember correctly, I can log AFR, RPM, and two other inputs. I'd like to see any info from the knock sensor, or even an upgraded one. A cross reference parameter to the e-manage will be a key also. in order to log e-manage, and the wideband at the same time will need two logging devices. The wideband can use a palm device, and then be downloaded to the laptop. OK now my head is spinning!
Old 10-28-2003, 06:50 AM
Suzuka Master

Here is the problem with logging other data with the e-Manage; since we have VTEC control ability, this uses the 2nd Airflow signal input negating the ability to use and see additional inputs.

But I may have missed something else and will look further into it.

I'll try the XP later and report back.

Quick Reply: E-Manage Thread