View Poll Results: Would you be interested in purchasing the following
Yes, I will order a set of Aluminum Door sills
57.58%
I may buy a set after their available.
36.67%
Not Interested.
5.76%
Voters: 330. You may not vote on this poll

aluminum sills/trim groupbuy (ends July 11)...

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2002, 04:02 PM
Adult Supervision

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Might I suggest that when this gets resolved - i.e. you know when that are available and how much they cost and what they look like that you shut this thread and open a new one?

I would like to understand the situation behind this product but reading 30 pages of posts is over 450 posts. So when it all resolves itself, I think you might need to start a new one and close this one.

Patiently yours,

MikeS
Old 05-18-2002, 04:06 PM
*Hella* isn't a word.

Austin.. a few of us have met this prick and don't care for him.
He's a little rich kid prick that is accustomed to getting what he wants by buying it and acting like a little bitch when doens't...

He's only happy to floss his stuff cause to him it's really important to say "I had this done first". Ask him about his 2002 TL lights on his older TL and he'll say something to the effect of "h I did it way beofre ALL those TL guys did"...

It's JUST THAT important to him.

Austin, thanks for all the good work you've been putting in.
Old 05-18-2002, 04:11 PM
suspension dude

Austin519...

First bobowah and bobatimez NOT related!!!

Second, Bobatimez is a like a little girl when he criticizes things then gets criticized... yeah that's right Lawerence... You can dish it but can't take it?

Oh yeah... He's a rich kid from Pacific Palisades, CA who still lives at home and thinks he's pimp... I bet you he does not pay for any of the mods he has... Mommy and Daddy probably give him a 3k allowance per month for "expenses." Hmm aren't you on your 5th or 6th year at UCLA? Got to be pimp by "having it first". Man really taking advantage of other peoples work that just fundamentally wrong.

I'm from an affluent area too (Palos Verdes for those of you from LA) in Southern California but all my mods are paid for from working in the tech industry (or what's left of it). Got a nice car but no house... Life of a tech worker in Silicon Valley. At least I own something from working for it unlike some people who probably get it handed to them. My parents at least programmed that into me.

hmmm anyone remember the 6k hid lights fiasco on the TL board?
He had to be the first to get them.

Well Austin519 thanks for working on the sills for us...

-J
Old 05-18-2002, 06:15 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
No worries Here Austin

I think we've all watched the way you've conducted yourself in this whole matter. People who can get let away by CRAP like that are just like the DUDE they are buying from or trusting in.

Keep up the good work
Old 05-18-2002, 07:19 PM
Pro

Originally posted by MikeS 18
Might I suggest that when this gets resolved - i.e. you know when that are available and how much they cost and what they look like that you shut this thread and open a new one?

I would like to understand the situation behind this product but reading 30 pages of posts is over 450 posts. So when it all resolves itself, I think you might need to start a new one and close this one.

Patiently yours,

MikeS
and austin i got faith in ya baby
Old 05-18-2002, 08:30 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll take a pair
Old 05-19-2002, 08:24 PM
Banned

Okay first AACK! I didn't mean this to turn into an I hate bobatimez thread. I'm just upset that I've always tried to help him and he has handed my arse back to me now Maybe it wasn't intentional...but not asking me first...knowing I was doing this was crappy to do. But I'm cooled off...yelling for like 15 mins at the manufacturer helped. Plus I guess it's not totally his fault...he was just (too) overeager. The manufacturer shouldn't have sold him those. So...it's ok now guys. Thanks for all the support

MikeS 18:
This has actually been mentioned a few times and I totally understand your point of view. However, I don't want to have to juggle multiple threads. What I will do with Adam's permission is either put up an annoucement or have him telling everyone about the ordering process...that way you'll see it but it won't be a thread. Sound good?

God I swear guys I can taste these sills...this week THIS WEEK!

Austin519
Old 05-19-2002, 08:44 PM
Drifting

Austin519, I recall you mentioning early on to the people who wanted the "Type S" door sills that you going to finish the production on the regular door sills first and then consider the Type S later...is that still the situation or are you planning to make some with the same batch as the other ones? I do definitely want just Type S, but if not I will settle for the next best thing. Well thank you and have a wonderful day!
Old 05-19-2002, 11:51 PM
Pro

I always hated it when you work you ass of and someone steals your thunder. Keep of the good work. Many of us appreciate it.
Old 05-20-2002, 11:16 AM
Banned

peiqinglong:
Nah man I don't remember ever saying that, but maybe my mind is failing me . I, in fact, have a Type S and was expecting the first finished batch to be Type S, especially since the Type S will be the biggest volume. But in terms of what you guys "see" Tlers and Tl'Sers will receive their sills at about the same time. Don't worry about having to settle for the next best thing...I am going to try to make sure everyone gets exactly what they want.

juice:
Yeah I know...happened twice eh? But I bet Tim has it out for bobatimez . And I appreciate the support bud!

Austin519
Old 05-20-2002, 12:48 PM
Drifting

Thanks Austin! Keep me listed and I will definitely order one as soon as they are done and ready! Keep up the wonderful job!

Originally posted by Austin519
peiqinglong:
Nah man I don't remember ever saying that, but maybe my mind is failing me . I, in fact, have a Type S and was expecting the first finished batch to be Type S, especially since the Type S will be the biggest volume. But in terms of what you guys "see" Tlers and Tl'Sers will receive their sills at about the same time. Don't worry about having to settle for the next best thing...I am going to try to make sure everyone gets exactly what they want.

juice:
Yeah I know...happened twice eh? But I bet Tim has it out for bobatimez . And I appreciate the support bud!

Austin519
Old 05-20-2002, 02:00 PM
Suzuka Master

Austin, don't worry about pricks like this. doesn't worth your time and energy.

But back to the sills/trims situation... i haven't seen you mention anything about them for the 1st gen clers. Do you know when will the 1st gen door sills and trim kits will be avalible? i'm interested in the trim kit but if we're not doing that anymore, i'll go for the door sills.

if it's possible, maybe you can post a schedule or some sort.

Thanks man.
Old 05-20-2002, 07:33 PM
Race Director

Austin, we appreciate all of your hard work in getting this done. We know it's not easy and if we can get these sills in our cars by the 4th of July, I think we'll be ok. BTW, that's my prediction.

Welcome to doing business, that's the way it always seems to work. Everyone has difference agendas, the manufacturer wants to sell and be helpful, you want to run this smoothly and quickly, others want to "get involved". I go thru this all the time, it is a fact of life, you just gotta blow it off. And it sounds like you already have....
Old 05-20-2002, 08:15 PM
Pro

When is it estimated time of availabilty for the brushed aluminum trim that will cover my bowling ball crap?

Thanks,
juice
Old 05-21-2002, 08:47 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by juice
When is it estimated time of availabilty for the brushed aluminum trim that will cover my bowling ball crap?

Thanks,
juice
Just go get a 03 6spd and then it will come that way

For real Austin...dont wory about punk asses like that guy...just keep doing what you are doing and it will be all good....now get some pics darnet :P
Old 05-21-2002, 07:31 PM
Banned

peiqinglong:
Thanks man

Chinisimo:
Don't lose hope . We're doing everything for every model. The first gens are the last volume group to go before the special orders, and I still have to work out some kinks, those being that some first gens have different measurements than others, but once we do we're golden. I don't have an ETA, but I will try to get them done as quickly as possible. I know you wanted a date, but the manufacturer doesn't have one...and I don't want to lie to you. But you will get them soon.

kensteele:
Wise words bud. I hope it won't be July 4 by the time we all have ours. I am definitely going to Atlanta Friday (I will talk about this more below) and seeing these...and will most likely post about accepting orders right after I see them (so hopefully Friday-whenever).

juice:
they have the 2002 TL-S trim kits done. In fact, I am going to see that too when I go see the door sills. The CL kits are almost the exact same. I'm going for both of those. Again, I don't have a specific date for first gens...but it will hopefully be very soon.

NOLACLS:
Thanks, and amen man...I am dying for them.

Now to everyone. I'll explain a bit of my situation. First, the shippers shipping my car from Austin to my hometown for the summer messed up, and the date to receive my car has been moved from Monday to Friday . Even so it wouldn't have mattered, because I have been leaving the manufacturer a message every day since Friday and haven't gotten a call back. I assume he's out somewhere...and is notoriously bad for not answering his phone when he's out. So I couldn't have come Monday or Tuesday anyway. If he has our stuff ready before I get my car I will find a way to get out there...but it's doubtful. So whether I get in touch with him or not I AM going to his shop on Friday, and then hopefully I WILL have pictures for you all and be ready to order. Bear with me guys, sorry for the delay.

Oh and one thing I just thought of. This bobatimez thing has vindicated me to some extent. I have watched as some have preordered through Tim and whatnot, which has sucked and has upset me but I've stuck to not accepting preorders because I don't know about the quality of these parts. Case in point, bobatimez didn't know about the quality and now he posts about not being happy. I will make sure this doesn't happen to you guys. So for those that were mad at me for not accepting preorders, this is why!

Austin
Old 05-21-2002, 07:37 PM
*Hella* isn't a word.

Austin, thansk again for all the hard work.. can't wait till we see the final product!

Bobatimez... : :pfawk: :pfawk: :pfawk: :sqntfawk: :thumbsdn:
Old 05-24-2002, 03:37 AM
Banned

HellaWhat:
Thanks man. Nah bobatimez isn't bad...he just...well in this case he didn't...think at all.

I'll be with the trim guy tomorrow...and hopefully I'll have good news to report . Such as "let's start ordering!"

Austin519
Old 05-25-2002, 10:37 PM
Banned

Okay the update you have all been waiting for. Sorry I am so late in posting all this. I just got back home. There are a LOT of things I said below the announcement so READ THEM!

----------------------------------------------------

THE TRIM AND SILLS GET MY SEAL OF APPROVAL. All orders can be placed with AP-Signworks directly by calling the number below or emailing at the address below:

Ph: (678) 468-9041 (7 days a week 10AM-10PM EST)
Email: sales@ap-signworks.com (24/7/365)

We accept Visa, Mastercard, American Express, Paypal, Money order, and personal check. Personal checks must clear with the bank before items are shipped. For Paypal payments, the account is ap_signworks@hotmail.com (this is a PAYPAL ONLY EMAIL ADDRESS!). Any payment you do not see listed, feel free to email sales@ap-signworks.com and ask.

E-mail IS preferred over phone calls (it makes it a lot easier on us).

Prices:
TL/TLS SILLS (lettering) - $65
TL/TLS SILLS (blank) - $45
CL/CLS SILLS (lettering) - $55
CL/CLS SILLS (blank) - $40
TL/TLS/CL/CLS TRIM - $225

READ MY MESSAGE BELOW, THERE HAVE BEEN SOME CHANGES THAT YOU WILL WANT TO KNOW ABOUT! ALSO DIFFERENT MODELS WILL SHIP AT DIFFERENT TIMES! FIRST GEN'ERS PAY ATTENTION TO GENERAL SECTION #5!!!

----------------------------------------------------

Now...there are a ton of questions I have to answer here. So I will break it down into three categories...trim, sills, general, and finally PICTURES!

Trim:
1) Why is the trim now $225 instead of $205 as I originally said? The reason is because ALL (yes all) aftermarket trim kits available for our Acuras don't do two important things. First, this aluminum kit was modeled after an aftermarket wood kit from BDI. The two important things that these aftermarket kits don't do is cover the wood on the door panels, and the wood along the sides of the center console. Our kit will do this, but that was not factored into the original price (because the proto trim kit did not contain these pieces). The manufacturer apologizes for the $20 price increase. This means that the price that Tim is offering for the kit is incorrect (assuming he is still copying my prices).

To make you guys feel a bit better about that slight price increase, I am working with the manufacturer to make four custom pieces that were not originally planned for, those being the two upper triangular vents and trim pieces to go around the audio control buttons on the steering wheel. I am making the models for these pieces myself, but this isn't a promise guys. But you all know me, and I expect a little more from this mix-up, and I am going to try as hard as I can to see you all get it.

2) I'll see if I can explain this problem. The manufacturer is having a good bit of trouble with the two pieces on either side of the console that curve upward. The reason is that those pieces curve in two directions. First they curve upward toward the roof of the car, and second the edges curve inward toward the shifter. What this means if you can visualize it, is that the aluminum will crumple on the inside of the curve if you try to bend in the edges to match the stock trim, because the metal obviously doesn't stretch. We are working on this, and will get it worked out...it's just going to be tough.

3) I expect to have all the models for extra pieces to the manufacturer by Tuesday, so we should begin shipping these kits in two weeks. Ordering is first come, first serve and yes, there will be a lot of orders.

Sills:
1) About the quality of the sills and some changes. Most of you have already seen the prototype sills that bobatimez decided to go behind my back and get. These sills ARE available now and ready to ship. HOWEVER, as I expected, when I met with the manufacturer we made some changes. The prototype sills were made out of whatever material was available to the manufacturer at the time, .016 brushed aluminum. This aluminum was too thin to engrave, and did not show the chrome overlay very well...so it was silk screened with a darker color metal. The finished version of the sills will be .035 brushed aluminum, which will allow it to be engraved. We will also possibly be experimenting with a second design involving outlining the chrome lettering with a darker color metal to show off the edge between the chrome and aluminum. At least one of these versions will be available to anyone who has bought the sills. Should both of these methods turn out equally well, both will be available.

2) The prototype sills did not mate up evenly with the stock pieces; they were about .125" too long. This has been corrected in the final version.

General:
1) I know that you all are probably saying to yourselves that there are a lot of questions above, and a few things that are not ironed out. To be honest, they are very minor issues, but you guys know I tell you everything, so I didn't plan to stop here. The trim looks absolutely incredible...and the only reason that the prototype trim kit isn't on my car is because my whole car was 303'd, and also because I'll be ripping it apart soon so I may not put it all on yet. These issues will be sorted out by me personally (I will most likely make a second trip to Atlanta) and should not worry you in the least.

2) The main design for the sills is the engraved version, I do apologize for saying it couldn't be done before. The original sills were made thin for fear of not clearing the doors. After showing the manufacturer we have plenty of space, he agreed to thicken the sills. So I expect the final design to be the engraved version. I am experimenting with a chrome lettered version yes, however it does not show up very well from a distance. The manufacturer is also going to try and buy a sandblaster specifically for the sills...which is how they made the INSPIRE sills. We have no way to support the cost with our groupbuy of a big sandblasting machine, and the manufacturer is going out on a limb in possibly procuring this smaller one. So again, we are experimenting but expect engraved sills.

3) Issues have been raised about the general thickness of the metal. .016 brushed aluminum will be used for all the trim for a reason, that reason being that the thicker you go the more it sticks out. Any aluminum trim is extremely thin metal backed by a much thicker (proportionally) adhesive. You would notice that the trim doesn't look "stock", or that it belongs there, otherwise. The door sills we can get away with a slightly thicker metal because of the edges of the stock piece. The thickness shouldn't matter anyway, it's in no way a testament to the strength of the metal or quality. Once placed on the car, it's not going anywhere.

4) About the metal finishes. My sample of "brushed aluminum" was NOT the same finish as the one he is using. The brushed aluminum that the manufacturer has chosen looks INCREDIBLY nice, and has a sheen to it that the satin does not. I will be going with a brushed kit myself, and I thought I was sold on satin. This brushed looks absolutely stunning. This is also a good thing because satin will most likely be more expensive, if the manufacturer can even get it (he has to order $100k+ of the material minimum which is much more than we will use) and is harder to make conform to a surface.

5) First gen TL and CL ers...we are not comletely done with your kits (sills and trim). We should have them finished as the second gens are shipping, and we anticipate another 2 weeks of manufacturing time. So expect your kits then.

Hopefully this has answered all questions...please post all questions or anything else related to this topic HERE, and not in other threads that I may not see. I will endeavor to answer everything as quickly as I possibly can.

Pictures:
Click the link below for full size. Keep in mind that WE JUST LAID THE TRIM OVER MY TRIM, we did NOT install the trim. So, if you see some edges that aren't lined up, it's not on purpose. Everything fits perfectly (but you will see that). Also, some pieces may not be on in every picture, and there may not be pictures of every piece. But it's just more of the same badass looking trim!!

http://www.ece.utexas.edu/~renfroe/a...s/DSC00001.JPG

http://www.ece.utexas.edu/~renfroe/a...s/DSC00002.JPG

http://www.ece.utexas.edu/~renfroe/a...s/DSC00003.JPG

http://www.ece.utexas.edu/~renfroe/a...s/DSC00004.JPG

http://www.ece.utexas.edu/~renfroe/a...s/DSC00005.JPG

http://www.ece.utexas.edu/~renfroe/a...s/DSC00006.JPG

http://www.ece.utexas.edu/~renfroe/a...s/DSC00007.JPG

http://www.ece.utexas.edu/~renfroe/a...s/DSC00008.JPG

http://www.ece.utexas.edu/~renfroe/a...s/DSC00009.JPG

http://www.ece.utexas.edu/~renfroe/a...s/DSC00010.JPG

Cheers,
Austin519
Old 05-26-2002, 02:57 AM
Pro

Bump
Old 05-26-2002, 03:16 AM
Pro

do you have trim that fits the navi cls?????
Old 05-26-2002, 03:50 AM
D73
Curiosity Killed The CL-S

Originally posted by Austin519
...Also, some pieces may not be on in every picture, and there may not be pictures of every piece...
So which pieces will (or will not) be covered by the trim pieces? I'm assuming there won't be enough pieces to cover the whole door+dash+console in brushed aluminium.

You also mentioned "My sample of "brushed aluminum" was NOT the same finish as the one he is using.". The pix you took already looked pretty damned nice. Could you pls post pix of the final version as well when you get them?

I think you've done some incredible work! Two thumbs up to you Austin!
Old 05-26-2002, 05:27 PM
Banned

Okay I'll first clarify some Q's that rominl asked...then you guys. Rominl asked "how would we know if we're getting the prototype sills"? The answer is you won't get prototypes unless you specifically ask for them...which you'd only do if you want them NOW. And I suggest against it.

He also asked about what engraving style it would be, would you guys choose etc. I'm trying a few styles of engraving now because I can with thicker sills. We're still probably going to go with just engraved. However, if one of the styles turns out to win out over the others we will go with that one. In the event that more than one style looks really good we will allow everyone who bought the sills to choose individually...but there's like a .01% chance it won't be engraved. I just told you guys this to keep you completely informed.

Now to your specific Q's:

Generationz:
Yes we have kits for all models of all TL's and CL's, with or without navi.

D73:
Okay...I'll see if I can list them all without missing any. For CL's you obviously won't have the rear pieces I will mention.
1) All 4 door panel stripes
2) All 4 door power window panels
3) All vent openings
4) Steering wheel audio controls
5) Gauge cluster and surrounding panels
6) Stereo/navi/ac console area
7) Shift plate and plate trim
8) Cup holder and cup holder doors
9) Console side trim

Off the top of my head I believe that is it. Basically the trim covers all black pieces (the black plastic) and all wood pieces, and the vents. If you can imagine, pretty much all of the front of the car is covered with the exception of the area with the seat heating buttons (the big area in the console). It would look like way too much aluminum. We added pieces so that it would make a nice accented black/aluminum look. I will try to count how many total pieces it is tonight.

D73 the pics of the trim you see IS the final version. Back when I got sample metal pieces I assumed one of the pieces was brushed aluminum which in fact was not. That's why I told everyone that the brushed didn't look good. The brushed does in fact look great, and that IS what you see the door sills and trim made out of in the pictures.

And thanks.

Any Q's feel free to ask away,
Austin519
Old 05-26-2002, 05:51 PM
Suzuka Master

great job austin, thanks a million. now, from what i understand, this trim kit is the 2nd gen, no? is the 1st gen also ready or have to wait a lil more.

I'll be in miami at the 6th of june, is there enough time for me to get them by then?

another thing, is the trim kit going to cover the bowling ball fake wood or we'll have to remove the old trim 1st?

Thanks dude. keep it up!!!
Old 05-26-2002, 06:38 PM
Banned

IF I COULD ASK EVERYONE TO PLEASE EMAIL ME AT AUSTIN519@AOL.COM WHEN YOU ORDER SO I CAN KEEP MY OWN RECORDS AS TO HOW MANY HAVE ORDERED! PLEASE INCLUDE WHAT YOU ORDERED AS WELL!!!

Chinisimo:
Hell yeah man . The trim and sills are both for all models all trim levels. The first gens aren't ready yet (check my original post under general) but will be soon. Unfortunately I don't think they'll be ready by then though . It will cover the fake trim and you won't have to remove anything.

Austin519
Old 05-27-2002, 08:27 AM
A-CL Post Whore w/N2O

Austin519: Great News! I can't wait until the 1stGen door sills are ready!

I'm assuming that the lettering designs are the same as posted previously. Is this the case? I recall that our sills will generally read "ACURA CL", but there may be an option for "ACURA 3.0CL".

Thanks again!
Old 05-27-2002, 12:24 PM
Certified Lurker

Austin, excuse me if this was already answered, but i am a little confused....will the sills just be like a piece of aluminum like the one in the pic, or will its say like Acura, or CL, or Type S or somthing. Just wondering what it will actualy say on the sill. Thanks Alot, and good work.
Old 05-27-2002, 06:39 PM
Pro

Austin519 -

Fisrt - Great job!! It sure is nice to know that somenone is honest. The quality looks wonderful!!

I know that I have asked this before: Will I be able to order just the 6 pieces that cover the bowling ball wood?
Those would be: 2 on the front doors
2 on the rear panels under the little window
2 that run along the center console

If so, how much would they be? I know you said that these 6 pieces made the kit go up $20! Can I get just these for $20?

You metioned difficulty making the 2 pieces along the center console, do you have an ET when it may be resolved?

Could you please post some pics of this trim as well? I would love to see pics of the 6 pieces installed, or placed where they belong, before I order.

Thanks for the hard work,
juice
Old 05-28-2002, 12:27 PM
Pro

Austin,

when will you have some pics of the engraved CL sills ???

THANKS!!
Old 05-28-2002, 12:45 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by cnatra
Austin,

when will you have some pics of the engraved CL sills ???

THANKS!!
Yeah how are they actualy going to fit on the CL...the place where they are on the TL is flat...I think on the CL it has some raised ridges??
Old 05-28-2002, 02:05 PM
Banned

dustbuster4:
They will all read the same thing for continuity...however custom stuff can be done later.

Collective27:
Not at all I can see how my pic confused you. The sills WILL be engraved...this was just for show purposes (that sill was not done). Although blanks are available for less.

juice:
Whew you're about 50% of my questions . Naw...I'm kidding. Okay as for yor pieces. As a package deal it was cheaper...but alone you will be probably charged more...and unfortunately you're gonna have to wait as you're considered a special order...but it won't take too long I promise. I don't have the pieces yet...making molds as we speak...but hopefully I will have something to show next week. And I will post pics as soon as I get the pieces. And thanks for the comments, they were appreciated .

cnatra:
No crap . Soon. Thing is they're having to make a thicker set of sills first, then engrave them. The lag time is with the engraver. Hopefully next week we'll have the finals in, and I will post them, and then they will immediately ship out.

NOLACLS:
The TLS's have these same ridges. We use a thick 3M tape that conforms to odd shapes and will mold right over those ridges...have no fear .

Where the hell are all the orders guys? He only says he has 15-20!!!?!?

Austin519
Old 05-28-2002, 02:41 PM
Drifting

ok so if it sits on top of the ridges what do the edges of the actual sill look like...is there a gap all around the edges or is it flush...I would really like to see some pics of the CL sills on the car itself with some good side shots
Old 05-28-2002, 06:16 PM
Race Director

Good job Austin, finally we're gonna get some sills!

You asked where are the orders? I think people are waiting to see what 1) they look like on the edges when installed with the tape and 2) what the engraving looks like. That means more pics, please!

As for we, well I'm waiting for the bank account to Paypal transfer; I don't keep money in my Paypal account and the transfer takes almost a week.

Can you keep us up to date on a running total....is there a limit (talking about folks who might be ordering but didn't sign up)? I'm sure you'll get about 200 orders either way.

Oh and finally if we want to use the screws instead of the tape for install, are we on our own?

TIA
Old 05-28-2002, 06:19 PM
Darth Chocolate

Originally posted by kensteele
Good job Austin, finally we're gonna get some sills!

You asked where are the orders? I think people are waiting to see what 1) they look like on the edges when installed with the tape and 2) what the engraving looks like. That means more pics, please!
Old 05-28-2002, 07:01 PM
nItIn

Old 05-28-2002, 07:11 PM
Certified Lurker

Old 05-30-2002, 07:05 PM
Banned

Announcement:
Hey everyone. Just wanted to let you all know it seems that Tim has decided to drop out of the trim/sills thing. He's emailed all his preorders telling them to order directly from the manufacturer. Tim if you are reading this, great. I just wish you hadn't caused this whole fiasco in the first place. But now any issues between you and me about this are over.

So, for the TLers left floating who don't know what to do, check out my previous posts about emailing or phoning the manufacturer directly. I'm not sure if the people who ordered through Tim are getting items dropshipped to them, or if they're still going through Tim, or what...because he is asking his people to say they were "from Tim's site" or something. I hope that is not the case, because it would only delay their orders further.

I'll be making another trek to Atlanta tomorrow...and the manufacturer and I will be measuring the two door pieces on my TLS and the console pieces. I need to get in touch with the CL guys who were working with the manufacturer and get them to come over so he can measure those pieces for them as well. But we should have a completely finished trim kit next week...aka finished = ready to ship. I consider this pretty good because it means he turned out 8 new pieces in a little under a week to include in those kits. So you that have already ordered trim kits, expect to have them 2 weeks from the date of payment.

The manufacturer also has the silk screened prototype sills in his possession and those pictures I was supposed to have last night I will hopefully have tonight, and then I will see them in person tomorrow. No, this is not what you all are going to get unless you ask for it...you will be getting the thicker engraved sills...but I do want to see how our logo turned out. The same people that did the silk screening...and screwed us all over...are charging too much ($45 per sill set) to do the etching...so he is going to begin working with another engraving company tomorrow. Does this mean anything to you guys about your sills or the date you should get them? No...I just thought it'd be nice to tell you. Just like the trim...we are expecting 2 weeks from the date of payment.

I know it sounds like a really long time guys and I understand that, but well...it's almost done. Realize that I AM waiting just like all of you for mine...and at most I'll get mine a few days before the first shipment to any of you, and that's just to make sure they're OK to ship. So I understand the restlessness.

TO THOSE THAT HAVEN'T ORDERED! Why haven't you? There have been about 50 orders for trim/sills placed so far...not all paid obviously but placed...but the polls I took showed that like 200 CLers wanted sills and 80 wanted trim...and on the TL side were another 200 wanting sills and 50 wanting trim...where are you guys? Obviously the polls will overestimate how many actually order...because it's a lot easier to click a button than it is to part with money...but I want to know what's holding you guys up? Are you just waiting for the first person to get his/her stuff and post about it? Or were you just BSing? Or what? Tell me because I want to know and hopefully fix it if there was something wrong.

And before I forget...I'll be gone (out of town) from this Sunday (6/4) to next Sunday (6/11)...so I won't be posting here and won't be answering PM's/emails. As soon as I get back I will try to answer everything...but then I leave again for 6 weeks...this time though with an internet connection. So if I drop off the face of the earth for a week...that's why.

Hopefully I will have more to report tomorrow night. Now for replies...

NOLACLS:
It's flush because the thicker tape conforms to the ridges. Imagine how Play-Do would act on a bumpy surface. Same thing.

kensteele:
Thanks for answering that for me. Okay, I can understand that. Hopefully soon I will have enough pictures to make everyone happy. I really can't do anything now...it all depends on the manufacturer and if he can work it out with this new engraving shop, when he gets the new thicker metal in, etc etc etc. And most of his stuff depends on the guy who owns the huge machine that does all this. So my hands are pretty tied. And I get dates, like the ones I have now for a finished trim kit ready to ship next week, and the sill metal late next week so finished blank sills late next week or early the week after, and engraved sills done not next but next week and ready to ship...but I can't do anything to speed it up or fix it if those deadlines are broken. I just hope that everyone realizes that stuff IS being done and these ARE getting done and I have SEEN the prototype trim and sill kits and they look great. And just not to lose faith.

I understand about the Paypal thing...it totally sucks. And as for the running total we have about 50 orders from CL and TLers for trim and sills. Most of those orders have not been paid, but have been ordered...I was hoping for like 250 by now. . But oh well.

And as for the screws instead of tape you are DEFINITELY not on your own. That is offered, you will just have to tell him that when you place your order...as most won't be doing it. But it can be done at no extra cost. So just make sure to tell him that and you should be fine.

Austin519
Old 05-30-2002, 09:05 PM
"I'm the best"

1st gen

Has their been an update for the 1st gen CL sills? From my understnding, once the current TL/CL gen sills and trim were done, then we'd be looked after then...just asking...
Old 05-30-2002, 09:28 PM
Race Director

Austin, thanks for the info. Just to clarify, is that two different steps, 1) ordering and 2) paying?

Because if it is, I think you'll probably start getting all the ORDERS real soon. As with any other deal, people sometimes just don't want to pay unless they know exactly what they're paying for. If there are unforseen delays (which there might be for one reason or another and I think everyone here DOES have the patience), it's better to wait WITH your money instead of waiting WITHOUT your money. So let us know for sure and I think we can all ORDER.

Happy 4th of July....

P.S. When you throw in the A-TL deal, that really complicates the whole situation and adds more risk for those of us who are unfamiliar or don't have an inside track on what's really going on.
Old 05-30-2002, 10:20 PM
Pro

hey austin, thanks for everything, i think the reason why alot of the ppl are hesitating to order is because we haven't seen a final product. personally, i feel we need a picture of the final product. ill probably order right when i see the final product of the sills.

-briancl

Quick Reply: aluminum sills/trim groupbuy (ends July 11)...