View Poll Results: Would you be interested in purchasing the following
Yes, I will order a set of Aluminum Door sills
57.58%
I may buy a set after their available.
36.67%
Not Interested.
5.76%
Voters: 330. You may not vote on this poll

aluminum sills/trim groupbuy (ends July 11)...

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2002, 09:20 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
n.e. atlanta has a gen2 sittin' pretty where does one go for 1-2 hours for this painless procedure?
Old 04-29-2002, 09:29 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by Austin519
Chinisimo:
Sorry...I meant that all the engraving would be chrome screened on there...not just the letters. And no it won't peel or anything...it's bonded to the metal. I need to find out more before I start talking about this.

DeLucCL-S:
I dunno if I want the red S or not...guess I'll have to see it...and about the pics...no shit

Austin519
Austin, I just realized this, so will it still going to be engraved and have the chrome to cover up the fine lines or just have chrome bonded on the surface so it's just flat? I think it'll look better with some dimensions to it. but maybe this will change the price. if it does, can you please what the difference in price will be? Thanks man
Old 05-01-2002, 01:45 AM
Advanced

i am in once i see the final results on a test car
Old 05-04-2002, 11:25 PM
Suzuka Master

Austin...

Any news????

You haven't forgotten about it, right?
Old 05-05-2002, 07:16 AM
Banned

Chinisimo:
No no news bud...it should be in like tomorrow...assuming no hangups...I really need to talk to the manufacturer again...but it's finals week and it's sucking big time.

Austin519
Old 05-06-2002, 10:30 PM
I'm out of HELL!!!!

Why is this thread not a sticky anymore?

-RM
Old 05-07-2002, 12:28 AM
Banned

RobOnLI:
Good question . And I know no one's heard anything from me this past week...it's because it's finals week...both for me and the manufacturer guy I've been dealing with...and so we haven't even had much time to talk to one another...but everything's coming along...yes I know it's delayed...some more minor mishaps...they got behind on orders made before our groupbuy...but they just cut the trim kit yesterday...it'll be here soon...and they're test fitting a kit on Gator CL-S's car...hopefully they've contacted him. Sorry guys for having to put this off in my schedule for a week...but finals are, well, finals.

Austin519
Old 05-08-2002, 09:16 AM
nItIn

the maufacturer guy is also having finals week?

i thought this was a regular 9-5 shop that has been around for a few years. (quality concerns)

This almost implies a highschool\college student working in his spare time out of mom\dads garage??
Old 05-08-2002, 12:46 PM
Instructor

I have met the guy at his shop (or outside of it at least)...it is an industrial area in Atlanta...you can imply anything about the neighborhood you like about that last statement...it is not the garage of his parents house...he has done this stuff before...i don't know what his deal is with school...maybe he is taking night classes...
Old 05-08-2002, 12:57 PM
nItIn

oh you actually have been to his shop? thats good.

I mustve been thinking about someone else .. cuz i remember a post about how a first gen cl'er was supposed to meet the manufacturer in the parking lot of a mall or something. and the first gen guy never showed ..

its good to hear ... thanks gator
Old 05-08-2002, 02:15 PM
Instructor

np nabster...the first time he measured my car he came to my apt. I think he tries to make things more convenient for everyone else...I know Austin told him about the demand for this product and the possibility of future products, so I think he wants to satisfy the customer...
Old 05-08-2002, 03:10 PM
Racer

have the orders been placed for the sills or still going through the pre-limenary stages first and then orders being taken later?
Old 05-08-2002, 08:30 PM
Burning Brakes

i'm in just let me know when they're available.....
Old 05-08-2002, 09:11 PM
Banned

nabster:
Oh please...I've been building computers for 8 years now (since I was 12) and sell to everything from little guys to big companies...and I've been doing car stereo installs for 5 years (since I was 15) and have gone to IASCAs with my stuff. This is only my second year in college, I still have finals...do you doubt my computer or car stereo work? No? Ok.

This guy is on the sales side of the company. The guys who actually make our stuff...the ones who work with the $500,000 machine that cuts it...I'm sure don't have finals. But even if they did...so?

C'mon nabster I would have thought more of you than to post this .

And that first gen thing WAS this...he never showed up and met the manufacturer, and my guy went all the way out to a mall just to meet him because he didn't want to drive to their shop.

Gator CL-S:
Thank you.

erock and goowakjai:
We're almost ready to order, I'm just waiting on my prototype trim/sills kit...so I know the quality is good. Then we'll start taking orders for the TL/CL sills, TL trim and soon CL trim. Check back.

Austin519
Old 05-09-2002, 06:53 AM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Guess HE Answered that one now didn't he !

Somehow I don't think ole' Austin's as "WET Behind the Ears" as a couple you might think.

nabster:
Oh please...I've been building computers for 8 years now (since I was 12) and sell to everything from little guys to big companies...and I've been doing car stereo installs for 5 years (since I was 15) and have gone to IASCAs with my stuff. This is only my second year in college, I still have finals...do you doubt my computer or car stereo work? No? Ok.

This guy is on the sales side of the company. The guys who actually make our stuff...the ones who work with the $500,000 machine that cuts it...I'm sure don't have finals. But even if they did...so?

And that first gen thing WAS this...he never showed up and met the manufacturer, and my guy went all the way out to a mall just to meet him because he didn't want to drive to their shop.

Gator CL-S:
Thank you.

erock and goowakjai:
We're almost ready to order, I'm just waiting on my prototype trim/sills kit...so I know the quality is good. Then we'll start taking orders for the TL/CL sills, TL trim and soon CL trim. Check back.

Austin519
Old 05-09-2002, 08:30 AM
nItIn

nabster:

Gator CL-S:
Thank you.

erock and goowakjai:

Austin519
lol a little touchy arent we austin? I wasnt questioning you. i have respect for your dedication. i just wanted to be sure this manufacturer guy was going to be able to deliver quality, quantity and on time .. age has nothing to do with it. considering that a few hundered of us are potentially gonna send this guy 50-75$ a piece, thats 10-15000$ which by my books is a considerable chunk of change. So for the benefit of everybody I wanted to make sure that he had a legit shop and wasnt working out of his parents garage .. that is all

nothing personal baby
Old 05-09-2002, 01:50 PM
Banned

caddy:
Ha ha ha .

nabster:
Yeah I guess I am , sorry about that. I know you weren't questioning me...and I appreciate your respect. I just wanted to come down hard because well...this is how rumors get started. Since I've been cut off from the A-TL guys by Tim, who knows one of them may come read this, say wait this guy's working out of his garage? And go tell everyone else they know and then they'd all freak out and not order (which come to think of it...they'dve been ordering from Tim so nevermind that's not necessarily bad). That's all. But to answer your Q yeah, the manufacturer has been doing this for like 15 years...that's the reason they have a half a million dollar machine. They do all kinds of stuff...and the city of atlanta has contracted with them a lot if that tells you anything. The sales guy, who I have been referring to this whole time (and have been talking to) is in college, which I don't see as showing he doesn't know what he's doing either. And in exact numbers about the money I believe that there will be about 400 sill kits for TL/CL and 100 trim kits sold...so that's about $24000+$20000, or $44000 worth. And I agree...that is a lot of cash. And it's good you were looking out for everyone as well...there can't be too much of that . I just wish you had PMed your concerns to me...because I can just feel it that someone's gonna read your post, not read my reply, freak out and post "wait this guy is working out of his garage? I'm not buying!" or something like that .

So I understand bud, sorry to come down so hard on you .

Austin519
Old 05-09-2002, 05:36 PM
Silver Bullet

Tell those guys to get that machine rolling so they can make a nice chunk of change and we get our sills! Yeah baby! How much longer do you estimate Austin?
Old 05-11-2002, 06:09 AM
Banned

madmaxcl:
Maybe this'll answer that

Okay time to give you guys another update...which is long overdue I am sure. I just talked to the manufacturer again today...and barring some unforseen cataclysmic event...I will have pictures of the trim and sill kits tomorrow for you guys. Now you automatically think "oh that must mean austin has them!". No, that's not the case. He has them at his shop...the trim kit is missing some pieces, and the sill kit is not for my Type S yet. If the pictures look good I'll release them though .

So when do I actually FINALLY get a set of these in my hands? Next Monday. That is not Monday the 13, it's Monday the 20th. I know, I know. I want them too...BADLY. The good news is...that (assuming it's good quality)...we only have 9 more days till I start taking orders from everyone. So get your credit cards ready!

And think of it this way...Tim (:mad) promised all the guys over on A-TL an ETA end of April (when he obviously had no idea about when it was coming out)...so some of those poor guys have already paid him for their stuff...and are sitting here halfway through may thinking uhm...ok. And they won't get their stuff till after our "groupbuy", so they're looking at like...end of May at best. So if that cheers you guys up any it could always be worse .

But the end is in sight...I am so excited. I hope you all are too...and thank you all for your patience, understanding, and loyalty! I'll post again when I get any updates.

Austin519
Old 05-11-2002, 07:45 PM
Banned

Okay so maybe it's just me...and this thread is 28 pages now...but why do I see not one person has replied in 12 hours? Where have you all gone to?

Austin519
Old 05-12-2002, 01:12 AM
Pro

iwas im still waitin ... got credit card in hand
Old 05-12-2002, 09:05 AM
Drifting

Hell yeah man...post the pics reguardless if they are good or not so we can see the progress!!

I cant wait
Old 05-14-2002, 12:37 AM
Banned

Okay everyone! Dum dum dum dummmmm.....I have pics of the TL sills now...they look JUST like what we designed (of course)...but here you go. The pics aren't the greatest (they were taken by the manufacturer...I still don't have the kit) but you'll get the idea...I think they look really smooth!

Comments? Questions?

Austin519
p.s. - I'm gonna get really pissed if Tim goes and takes these and posts them on his site like they're his and then "thank" me again (yeah I guess that was a message for Tim...not you guys)
Old 05-14-2002, 12:50 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
they really dont look like the Inspires ones. Inspire ones are shinny. Those sills look dull to me.

You still getting the chrome ones? Then that be hott!
Old 05-14-2002, 01:01 AM
Banned

Crazy:
You're right...they don't look like the metal I told him to make them out of. In fact I just emailed him about that a few hours ago. The lettering doesn't look chrome like it's supposed to...and the metal doesn't look like the last sample that I wanted him to use...but those are very minor things. Don't worry Jesal .

Austin519
Old 05-14-2002, 01:16 AM
Pro

i like em im in just let me know when to order also did we ever settle whether they would be drilled in or double sided taped in id raathe drill em in but ill take what i can get...also did we make a type s logo or only acura cl
Old 05-14-2002, 01:20 AM
2nd Gear

Can you get them for a 98 CL or just the new body style?
Old 05-14-2002, 01:37 AM
Banned

Generationz:
You can get them either way...they will be mass produced as stick on...because that's what most people will want...and trust me...they will stick on forever. But if you definitely want screws...I can get that done for you.

bjones25:
All CL's and all TL's, all models, are being done...but in order of demand (which has so far been from the newest models down)...but don't worry...yours will get done...the manufacturer and I are working on that now.

Austin519
Old 05-14-2002, 02:21 AM
Drifting

Well damn its about time i knew it would happen...so when can we see one for the CL type S?? They might look dull because it looks like they still have the plastic covering on them that protects alumn during shipping . So when you installing them too?
Old 05-14-2002, 04:57 AM
Banned

NOLACLS:
Monday and Monday hopefully (knock on wood).

Austin519
Old 05-14-2002, 08:23 AM
Drifting

NOLACLS:
Monday and Monday hopefully (knock on wood).

Austin519
Knock knock knock knock knock knock:P

Ok I have a question on where these things go...if you are looking at the OEM sill from outside of the car...the first level (the one that is covered by the door when its closed) is where I was thinking that these would go. The only thing is the alumn sills are flat and that part of the OEM sill has some raised groves...where and how do they go...this might have been answered in the 28 pages but I really dont want to have to read through all that
Old 05-14-2002, 01:55 PM
Banned

Okay...so I just spoke with the manufacturer and I got all my questions answered about the metal. First, the letters ARE NOT CHROME. That's why they don't look shiny . The manufacturer made a set with chrome lettering but said that it just looked cheap...and I trust his judgment. So he went with a metal on metal look instead...which is what you see in my other post. Second, we need to clear up some terminology...there is a BIG difference between BRUSHED aluminum and SATIN aluminum.

Satin:

http://www.ece.utexas.edu/~renfroe/a...m/Dsc00001.jpg

Brushed:

http://www.ece.utexas.edu/~renfroe/a...m/Dsc00006.jpg

So look at those two carefully...the links below are to the full sized pics. IMHO the satin will look better than the brushed in our cars...it's still "brushed" aka there are brush marks...but they're negligibly small, so the finish has no grains to it.

As a for instance...usually hondas order the brushed kit and euros order the satin kit. I think that the satin kit has a classier look.

However, brushed looks good too. And it MAY look better with the tan than the satin...since it's just a little bit darker.

With all that said I think I'm leaning toward the satin for my own black/black TLS...but just to make sure I've decided on doing something. I'm going to Atlanta next week, and since I was going to have my kit on Monday it won't be delayed anyway. That way I can see not only their shop in person, but meet all the people involved in person, and most importantly take a LOT of good pictures of brushed versus satin, as well as check out the chrome lettering versus the new style. I hope this sounds good to everyone.

So I guess now is the time long ago where I said there were various finishes available. The three prominent ones are satin, brushed, and chrome. Chrome does cost more...and I am talking about both the trim and the sills. But if you like the shiny bling bling look it's pretty damn sweet. So without further ado I'll let you guys all get to talking and sharing your feedback. Cheers,

Austin519
Old 05-14-2002, 01:56 PM
Banned

NOLACLS:
Yeah I noticed those awhile back. Don't worry...the 3M stuff molds to the grooves, and has enough surface area to stick.

Austin519
Old 05-14-2002, 02:08 PM
Stealthy A-CL Member

Received 24 Likes on 8 Posts
The Satin link seem to be case-sensitive, so...

http://www.ece.utexas.edu/~renfroe/a...m/DSC00001.JPG
Old 05-14-2002, 02:33 PM
Drifting

NOLACLS:
Yeah I noticed those awhile back. Don't worry...the 3M stuff molds to the grooves, and has enough surface area to stick.

Austin519
I wasnt worried about id there was enough area for the the stuff to stick...I was wondering how it will look around the edges...wi it be molded around the edges of the sill to fit over the raised grooves on the OEM sill or will the alumn sill be flat and it will have gaps around the edges?? You see what I am asking?

I would like whatever one (satin or brushed) that will match the new silver trim in the 03 CL's
Old 05-14-2002, 02:38 PM
Banned

IntegraVT:
My bad...it works now. Thanks . And the second one didn't link to the big pic...fixed that.

NOLACLS:
It will form over the grooves to some extent. And I'm not sure what matches the 03 CLS .

Austin519
Old 05-14-2002, 03:28 PM
Drifting

ahh ok I was hoping you were going to say it will mold over the groves...humm I think there might be some pics of the 03 alumn trim in here somewhere..ill have to look.
Old 05-14-2002, 03:37 PM
Casual Observer

For my $0.02 I think we should go for the chrome.

It may be a bit more but I have a feeling that it will look much better.

Also, we already have chrome trim outside, so it will match a little bit better.
Old 05-14-2002, 04:35 PM
"I'm the best"

sills

Count me in as well.
Old 05-18-2002, 03:15 PM
Banned

Damn it why the hell do people have to go behind my back??? First Tim, now bobatimez on the TL forum. It seems that bobatimez has been bothering my manufacturer daily for a set of sills. And the manufacturer got a proto set of TL sills done before the TLS ones he was going to send me. So he went ahead and sold them to bobatimez. Bobatimez, I am #%%^&(* furious at you for doing this. Why?

1) Because you did this behind my back without asking.
2) Because you bothered the manufacturer every day (which you shouldn't have).
3) Because you got a PROTO set of sills...meaning you don't have the finished product. And then you post on the TL forum about how it's not perfect quality. Well DUH dude. They're not the finished sills.
4) Because you got them in brushed aluminum while everyone else is most likely going to get them in satin, which I bet you will want.
5) Because now I have like 50 people asking me where you got your sills.

Now guys, I have no idea what the sills he got look like...all I know is they were made during the process of designing the sills. So I am not going to vouch for anything, from the adhesive to the finish. Bobatimez you may have screwed yourself up too. Either way you're not getting the perfect quality product.

To everyone that now wants to call the manufacturer and buy a set. He has cut a few brushed models, none finished, none that I have inspected, and no satin or chrome models. Please give me the courtesy that bobatimez did not and don't start ordering until I make sure these sills are quality, and until I am ready to keep track of everyone. It's hard enough taking care of two threads and a huge amount of PM's and emails, without someone trying to go in and order unfinished sills which my manufacturer was too dumb to not accept and then I have to juggle that too. YOU WILL BE ORDERING YOUR SILLS NEXT WEEK! I promise you that. I just really want to make sure of the quality, to keep you guys from thinking and saying what bobatimez did, that they're not good quality or don't look great. Geez.

And bobatimez...you want to begin to try to fix the huge mess you've thrown me in? Especially after all the times I have taken time out to help you and answer your Q's? Don't post anymore about your proto sills. You have them, that's done. But don't go talking about them (or bashing the quality), and definitely don't go posting pictures. You're going to scare people away from getting the real sills with you discussing about the proto sills.

Austin519

Quick Reply: aluminum sills/trim groupbuy (ends July 11)...