VSA problems?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 01:07 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question VSA problems?

So, I got an 04 tsx automatic with low-ish mileage. Later on when I was driving it, the vsa indicator came on with the "!" light, which means it's malfunctioning, or it can come on when something else is in need of fixing. For a while, it would come on fairly quickly after I started the car and stayed on. Eventually it tapered out and now it's just gone.

Anyone know why it would do that..? it had freaked me out, thinking my precious car had something wrong with it
Old 06-18-2008, 06:20 AM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
You probably still have a code stored in your ECU. Go to your local Autozone and have it read. Then report back the code.
Old 06-18-2008, 07:42 AM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
I don't think VSA codes are stored.

Yesterday I picked up my car from the body shop and as soon as I left their parking lot, the VSA, (!) and the ABS lights all came on. I turned around and went back to the shop, who quickly glanced under the car and saw brake fluid leaking from the right rear caliper area. I took it a few blocks to my friends' parts shop where he has a floor jack and stands, and I checked it out - turns out it was a loose banjo bolt (that holds the brake line to the caliper). It was leaking there, so a quick turn of the wrench and a top-up of the brake fluid, and I was on my way, no more warning lights.

Check your brake fluid level CAREFULLY (and ensure none gest on any paint as it'll eat paint like crazy). If it's anything close to MIN, then top it up a bit and see if the light disappears. If it doesn't, then think about bringing it in to get checked.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:15 PM
Cruisin'

thanks.. I'll check into it =]
Old 06-18-2008, 11:30 PM
Driver/Detailer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Are you sure it wasn't because VSA/traction control kicked in while you were driving? The "!" comes on when VSA engages.
Old 06-19-2008, 08:23 AM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by aaronng
Are you sure it wasn't because VSA/traction control kicked in while you were driving? The "!" comes on when VSA engages.
In my car at least, the "/!\" light only comes on as a flashing indication while the VSA is actively working... it never stays on once I regain traction/control.
Old 06-19-2008, 08:54 AM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I bet it's a wheel speed sensor. The VSA needs that data to determine when a wheel is losing traction. It's probably best to have the dealer check it out. It should be free if you bought your car CPO.
Old 06-19-2008, 09:42 AM
Make a hole, coming thru!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
IF you just got it, Miss, take it back to the dealer/shop that you guys got it from. You probably have a 30-day, 1000 mile warranty or something like that. If it's < 50,000 miles (oh wait, was it less for the 2004 model year? anyone know?), factory warranty applies. (And if you got it CPO like mine, your factory warranty was extended.)

Where'd you get it, here in the Triangle? Leith (Cary) or Performance (CH) Acura?
Old 06-19-2008, 11:57 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
I suspect your VSA sensor its on its way out. Same thing happened to me but eventually the light stayed on and the sensor needed replacement.
Old 06-19-2008, 12:12 PM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
What exactly is the VSA sensor? And where is it?

Note that this is genuine curiosity and not unabashed incredulity.
Old 06-19-2008, 01:32 PM
Ludacris Speed GO!

Mine did the same ('04 with 46K). Took it to the dealer and they said it was a low voltage on the battery and replaced it under warranty. The light never came back. If it's under warranty take it to the dealer and let them handle it.
Old 06-19-2008, 03:35 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by LukeaTron
What exactly is the VSA sensor? And where is it?

Note that this is genuine curiosity and not unabashed incredulity.

No idea what it is or where it is. Lucky for me it was covered under warranty. But the repair paperwork did say VSA sensor with a part number.

Maybe?

Yaw rate sensor, tsx 04-05 $537.58 $403.19

Brakes - Anti-lock brakes - Stability control - Yaw rate sensor
Old 06-19-2008, 03:45 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Did some searching since I know I posted about it before and I typed this...

> Replaced brake switch and problem has not returned after 5 days.
No idea what the brake switch is either.
Old 06-26-2008, 11:19 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by curls
In my car at least, the "/!\" light only comes on as a flashing indication while the VSA is actively working... it never stays on once I regain traction/control.

yeah, if it stays on for a period of time, the manual says it's some type of malfunction..
Old 06-26-2008, 11:21 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by davidspalding
IF you just got it, Miss, take it back to the dealer/shop that you guys got it from. You probably have a 30-day, 1000 mile warranty or something like that. If it's < 50,000 miles (oh wait, was it less for the 2004 model year? anyone know?), factory warranty applies. (And if you got it CPO like mine, your factory warranty was extended.)

Where'd you get it, here in the Triangle? Leith (Cary) or Performance (CH) Acura?

I actually got it at Southern States Nissan in Apex =P but I did extend the warranty.. so if it makes an appearance again, I'll take it in.
Old 06-27-2008, 08:30 AM

See if your extended warranty allows you to take it anywhere (like, say... an Acura dealer ) or have to take it back to Southern States for repairs.

Hope they gave you all the manuals, and both Driver1 and Driver2 key fobs. I've read of people who got gypped on thse buying from a third party.

Considering where you got it, I'd check the pollen filter right quick. It might be dirty ... a replacement can be had for $15 or so. There's a DIY thread on how to replace it, written by a nice fellow who also lives in Durham.
Old 06-30-2008, 11:44 PM
Cruisin'

I actually did get like, every manual.. person that owned the car was VERY careful with it, I still have some plastic covering under the doors..idk what that little metal thing is called =P and I'll definitely check out that pollen filter.

also, I'm having bad gas mileage.. any idea why? you seem pretty smart =P I've been busy so I haven't had a chance to look through the forums.
Old 06-30-2008, 11:52 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by MissTsxLover
I actually did get like, every manual.. person that owned the car was VERY careful with it, I still have some plastic covering under the doors..idk what that little metal thing is called =P and I'll definitely check out that pollen filter.

also, I'm having bad gas mileage.. any idea why? you seem pretty smart =P I've been busy so I haven't had a chance to look through the forums.
For the bad gas mileage, what are you getting. You should be getting somewhere in the mid to high 20's. If its significantly lower, check your engine air filter. A dirty filter will lead to worse mileage and performance.
Old 07-01-2008, 09:50 AM

There are 2 (3?) recent threads about mileage, take a look-see. There are wide variances between drivers. Driving style can have a serious impact, if you're revving up a lot, braking hard to stop signs and red lights, you will burn more gas (no surprise there). Coasting down to red lights, keeping a 4 second or greater following distance behind people, using high RPMs only when you need it, can all increase your mileage.

Using 87 or 89 octane may give you less MPGs as the engine is performing a little less efficiently while it corrects for any knocking. Driving above 55 MPH (I hear you groaning already, girl) can get a bit less MPG, though doing 60 MPH or 65 MPH I can still get 27-29 MPG.

I've been busy so I haven't had a chance to look through the forums.
Three-day weekend coming up. Puh-lenty of time to stay up late reading the forums. back atcha.

I'm not a smart person, I just play one in the movies.

Old 07-01-2008, 10:16 AM

About the air filter, and other things....

P.S. Oh, I wouldn't trust that the dealer put in fresh oil just before you bought it. I'd get it changed, air filter too (that's a DIY item, cost you < $20 at AutoZone).
Old 07-15-2008, 01:04 AM
Cruisin'

well I think the owner before me changed it, I had a certain mileage to change it at. and I REALLY need to get it checked over, but I need money lol. the air filter's prolly shot to hell, because I'm like... really getting HORRIBLE mileage. I always forget to keep track of it to see exactly what it is, but yeah. I try to drive slower... but I go on 85 alot! kills me to go slower =P

don't have any car loving children by chance do ya? haha
Old 07-15-2008, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by MsTsxMaintenanceMoocher
Only one, and she's too young. Only visits once a month or so, time is precious. You don't happen to have any cute guys at school who could change it for you do ya?

You have no excuse to drive with a dirty air cleaner filter. NO excuse. Go to Autozone, drop the $15-20 (equivalent to 4-5 trips to Starbucks, fer cryin out loud) on an air filter, and pop that air cleaner cover. A long shaft #2 Philips screwdriver is all you need. (And maybe a vacuum nearby to suck out any leaves in there. Do it at a coin-op car wash, like I do.)

Back on topic, any further VSA titillations during the recent stormy weather?
Old 07-17-2008, 12:34 PM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
well I think the owner before me changed it, I had a certain mileage to change it at. and I REALLY need to get it checked over, but I need money lol. the air filter's prolly shot to hell, because I'm like... really getting HORRIBLE mileage. I always forget to keep track of it to see exactly what it is, but yeah. I try to drive slower... but I go on 85 alot! kills me to go slower =P

keep that speeding up you will be spending alot of money on tickets. Slow down-you do not want to lose your driver's license. Have you checked the tire pressure lately-over or under inflated tires effect gas mileage.
Old 07-17-2008, 03:03 PM

MsTsxLover needs to be MsWeeklyMaintenanceLover. Takes 15 mins at most.
Old 07-30-2008, 12:13 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by nj2pa2nc
keep that speeding up you will be spending alot of money on tickets. Slow down-you do not want to lose your driver's license. Have you checked the tire pressure lately-over or under inflated tires effect gas mileage.

I just go a few over the speed limit.. I didn't mean I went 85mph, it's the interstate that I go on alot =p

and yes.. I need to get into my car's insides more.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:12 AM
it's a car-drive it

I just go a few over the speed limit.. I didn't mean I went 85mph, it's the interstate that I go on alot =p

and yes.. I need to get into my car's insides more.
Good to hear that.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:52 AM

Hehe, I got what you meant by "go on 85." Here on 40 down below the Triangle, just trying to do the posted limit (65) makes you what truckers call(ed) "a rolling roadblock."

That VSA problem resurfaced, or gone away?
Old 07-31-2008, 04:55 AM
it's a car-drive it

Hehe, I got what you meant by "go on 85." Here on 40 down below the Triangle, just trying to do the posted limit (65) makes you what truckers call(ed) "a rolling roadblock."

I realized that-a bit too late. I was thinking of 40 east of 95-the speed limit is 70. I put the cruise control to 75 and alot of other driver's pass me. Going 85 would probably get the cops to notice you. You live near 85-I do not.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:05 AM

^ Yep, i got tagged doing 87 for < a mile on 64 last summer (trying to get past a truck that was kicking up huge clouds of dirt). I wouldn't push it far past 70, it's "low hanging fruit" for the troopers. Generally 5-7 over doesn't get any notice here in the Triangle, but outside the muni area ... different story.

Hey Red, I saw a MR TSX driving up my way (off 55 near 54) a coupla weeks ago, but i figured it wasn't you.
Old 07-31-2008, 05:00 PM
it's a car-drive it

^ Yep, i got tagged doing 87 for < a mile on 64 last summer (trying to get past a truck that was kicking up huge clouds of dirt). I wouldn't push it far past 70, it's "low hanging fruit" for the troopers. Generally 5-7 over doesn't get any notice here in the Triangle, but outside the muni area ... different story.

Hey Red, I saw a MR TSX driving up my way (off 55 near 54) a coupla weeks ago, but i figured it wasn't you.
Was not me-my car is in Jersey. Your avator-the fraggle rock guys were controlled by Richard Hunt until his untimely death. I went to school with him. He was voted class clown
Old 08-01-2008, 09:53 AM

Indeed. He and Henson's characters were my favorites in the show.
Old 08-08-2008, 06:32 PM
Cruisin'

so far no more VSA problems =)
and yeah... 40 is just overall dangerous. I had an INSANE girl pass me weaving all over the place because her car had been wrecked but she was still somehow driving the thing.. and then someone else cut me off for 'going too slow' aka the speed limit. it's scary...
Old 08-08-2008, 08:48 PM

I don't worry about the a-holes driving fancy cars, generally they aren't going to wreck with you. It's the cheap, shitty, beaten-into-a-pulp spam cans you have to watch out for. The riskiest drivers I've seen in 5 states are in the no-value econoboxes hurtling along at "ten over" or better.
Old 08-09-2008, 12:07 PM
2006 ASM tsx

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dom
No idea what it is or where it is. Lucky for me it was covered under warranty. But the repair paperwork did say VSA sensor with a part number.

Maybe?

Yaw rate sensor, tsx 04-05 $537.58 $403.19

Brakes - Anti-lock brakes - Stability control - Yaw rate sensor

hmm yaw rate sensor is for figuring out how much the car is turning.. i only know this from reading the service manual. the yaw is literally how much the wheels have turned left or right.
Old 08-10-2008, 10:49 AM
1st Gear

this VSA problem... the yellow triangle with the exclamation point in the middle comes on at random times while you are driving? i had this problem too and i fixed it for FREE.

***check to see that your left knee is not hitting the VSA OFF button while you are moving around***

the way i sit my knee is an inch from the button, so when i shift around it is very, very easy to hit the button.
Old 08-19-2008, 11:46 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by michaeljay44
this VSA problem... the yellow triangle with the exclamation point in the middle comes on at random times while you are driving? i had this problem too and i fixed it for FREE.

***check to see that your left knee is not hitting the VSA OFF button while you are moving around***

the way i sit my knee is an inch from the button, so when i shift around it is very, very easy to hit the button.

Definitely not, I'm the shortest thing ever so that's just not really a problem.. =]
Old 08-19-2008, 12:01 PM
it's a car-drive it

The vsa light has come on for me when I accidently hit the button while trying to open the sunroof. I hit the wrong button by mistake.
Old 08-19-2008, 12:14 PM

... I'm the shortest thing ever so that's just not really a problem.. =]
-- Then that mustn't have been you in a 2004 TSX I passed on HWY 54 Saturday afternoon.