TSX Headlights design problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2005, 09:54 AM
Car lust never sleeps

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry TSX Headlights design problem

I have to say I hate these lights. They are bright, they are intense, they are a nice colour. But I get flashed by a lot of on-coming vehicles -- they think the hi-beams are on. If someone is in the back seat, I get flashed by EVERY on-coming vehicle - one night, on a two-lane highway, every single vehicle in a half hour drive. They can't all be jealous!

I took the car to the dealer to have the lights re-aimed against a line on the garage wall, as specified by Acura: they tested out perfectly. Another Saturday morning wasted reading magazines in the Service Department.

It is not just a matter of intensity -- the gate on the driver's side is too high and has to be high because there is no bleed above the gate. If I lower the lights a bit, the sharp cut-off means there is absolutely no light on the road when the front wheels hit a tiny depression.

I am not the least interested in blinding on-coming drivers! The lights are bloody dangerous. Acura's chief lighting engineer should have a bulb stuck ....... and turned on until full operating temperature is achieved.
Old 09-30-2005, 09:57 AM
send me a link to JDM??

Originally Posted by Errowen
I have to say I hate these lights. They are bright, they are intense, they are a nice colour. But I get flashed by a lot of on-coming vehicles -- they think the hi-beams are on. If someone is in the back seat, I get flashed by EVERY on-coming vehicle - one night, on a two-lane highway, every single vehicle in a half hour drive. They can't all be jealous!

I took the car to the dealer to have the lights re-aimed against a line on the garage wall, as specified by Acura: they tested out perfectly. Another Saturday morning wasted reading magazines in the Service Department.

It is not just a matter of intensity -- the gate on the driver's side is too high and has to be high because there is no bleed above the gate. If I lower the lights a bit, the sharp cut-off means there is absolutely no light on the road when the front wheels hit a tiny depression.

I am not the least interested in blinding on-coming drivers! The lights are bloody dangerous. Acura's chief lighting engineer should have a bulb stuck ....... and turned on until full operating temperature is achieved.
dude, just aim them down a little I don't know why you went to a dealer to adjust them, it takes max 3 mins. Just get a screwdrive or 10mm wrench and turn the bolt on the back. Search and you will find directions on how to do it. It's really pretty simple
Old 09-30-2005, 09:58 AM
Professional SLACKER

On coming cars gave you that much trouble????

I'm loving the headlight... its bright and intense just like you described. It covers a wide area.
Fortunately people in So Cal don't care much so I don't get much complaints.

Sorry to hear your troublesss.....
Old 09-30-2005, 10:00 AM
Registered Schmegistered

Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts

The design is fine. BMW and infinity owners get flashed too. Just adjust them yourself and if your worried about light on the road, get some fogs.
Old 09-30-2005, 10:09 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
My car is lowered so the lights aim lower as well. I can see fine and no one ever flashed their lights at me. Not even once. Just aim them slightly lower and you'll be fine.
Old 09-30-2005, 10:10 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
I've gotten flashed maybe 5 times at most, they're definently not as bad as you described them.
Old 09-30-2005, 10:15 AM
Instructor

Never been flashed. Torontonians are used to bright blue lights.
Old 09-30-2005, 10:16 AM
Car lust never sleeps

Originally Posted by TSX.Fury
dude, just aim them down a little I don't know why you went to a dealer to adjust them, it takes max 3 mins. Just get a screwdrive or 10mm wrench and turn the bolt on the back. Search and you will find directions on how to do it. It's really pretty simple
I have lowered them. Fine on the freeway. But on moderately uneven paved roads, the portion of the road in front of the car which gets illuminated jumps back and forth between 250 metres and 10 metres, as the front end of the car bobs up and down a bit. It is particularly an issue coming around corners, because you may not have had the benefit of Up-bobs yet! That's not satisfactory or even safe - it's an engineering problem that needs to be resolved.

I recall my BMW 2002 outfitted with Hella "Z-beam" high intensity lights, which were a similar design. The lights had a gated spread like the TSX lights (__/---), but they had a diffuse halo above the gate, less-intense than the main beam, which meant they could be aimed lower and still show the road ahead. I really think that was a much better arrangement.
Old 09-30-2005, 10:19 AM
Car lust never sleeps

Originally Posted by itrhybrid
The design is fine. BMW and infinity owners get flashed too. Just adjust them yourself and if your worried about light on the road, get some fogs.
The fogs are a good suggestion. I didn't get them when I ordered the car because the headlights seemed so good, I couldn't imagine the need for MORE light.
Old 09-30-2005, 10:28 AM
Aint Doing Sh*t

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Another TSX was behind me last. The lights are not as bright as I thought the would be and they are aimed lower than most other cars with hids. But if you are at a higher level than oncoming traffic they are going to get blinded. I noticed that they were somewhat blinding when he went over a speedbump.
Old 09-30-2005, 10:34 AM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
<--------never been flashed/loves the TSX xenons
Old 09-30-2005, 10:40 AM
send me a link to JDM??

Originally Posted by GIBSON6594
<--------never been flashed/loves the TSX xenons
xenons! curse your slanderous tongue!!
Old 09-30-2005, 10:43 AM
Advanced

<---- Been Flashed/Loves the TSX xenons
Old 09-30-2005, 10:44 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
Fine on the freeway. But on moderately uneven paved roads, the portion of the road in front of the car which gets illuminated jumps back and forth between 250 metres and 10 metres, as the front end of the car bobs up and down a bit.
It's the roads fault, perhaps
Old 09-30-2005, 10:53 AM
Burning Brakes

I recall my BMW 2002 outfitted with Hella "Z-beam" high intensity lights, which were a similar design.
Are you talking about the BMW 2002 from the 70's? or just a MY 02 BMW?

Originally Posted by batman
Another TSX was behind me last. The lights are not as bright as I thought the would be and they are aimed lower than most other cars with hids. But if you are at a higher level than oncoming traffic they are going to get blinded. I noticed that they were somewhat blinding when he went over a speedbump.
our car has the autodim mirror so we dun care how's the car behind us.
Old 09-30-2005, 10:54 AM
VSA Rocks

It seems the majority of times I get flashed is during spring break.
Old 09-30-2005, 11:04 AM
Instructor

OK I have had this problem but only when I go to see my parents in a small town outside of Ottawa. I think people in these towns are not used to it like city folks. But over time I have been getting flashed less. It could be an education thing and as people see more of them the get used to it.
Old 09-30-2005, 11:22 AM
Cruisin'

I'd have to agree with OTT-TSX. I think it depends where you are doing your driving. When I was on vacation in Maine this summer I was flashed many times, and I think its because people aren't used to the blue tint of our headlights and they stare at them. Its not so much that they are blinded by the light, but that they are distracted by the different color. In Boston however, every other car has HID's and I've never been flashed once.
Old 09-30-2005, 01:13 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Black_6spd
It seems the majority of times I get flashed is during spring break.
I love the headlights. I can see great with them. I've gotten flashed a few times, but overall I think people in my area are starting to get use to the HIDs.
Old 09-30-2005, 01:33 PM
Car lust never sleeps

[QUOTE=ianS]Are you talking about the BMW 2002 from the 70's? or just a MY 02 BMW?

Old 09-30-2005, 01:42 PM
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE=Errowen]
Originally Posted by ianS
Are you talking about the BMW 2002 from the 70's? or just a MY 02 BMW?

I wish I have a chance to drive this legend!
Old 09-30-2005, 01:52 PM
Instructor

Im getting flashed in NJ (girls and lights) hehe, so i think there is an issue with the lamps being high, but also i am finding my drivers light is aimed more right then where it should be, when i stand directly in front of the car, about 15 ft away, and kneel down so i am in the direct view, only the passenger light is directly in my face, but if i move 3 ft to the left towards the pass side. then both lights are in my face....im also seeing a dark area about 5 ft in front of my drivers light caused by that light...any suggestions...the dealer says its is normal

Thanks in Advance
Old 09-30-2005, 02:44 PM
Intermediate

If they flash you, flash 'em back... if people aren't used to HID by now then that's there own fault, why should you sacrifice your vision because others are overly sensitive (I've never been flashed)
Old 09-30-2005, 03:04 PM
tsxy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love the xenons! I have gotten flashed a few times but I think people are getting used to HIDs and its more when you go over a bump that really blinds the oncoming driver I think getting flashed by every car is ridiculous and maybe its cuz you said you live in a small town? people arent used to those lights?
Old 09-30-2005, 03:49 PM
Burning Brakes