One problem after another...2004 TSX

Old 01-29-2013, 02:39 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One problem after another...2004 TSX

I just made it to 100K last week - yay! very exciting.
However, this past year it seems as if my car is slowly falling apart.

First my front oxygen sensor went...went awhile after that without an issue.
Then my passenger side power lock stopped functioning.
Then my starter went - the day after that, my alternator.
Now...my driver side HID bulb went and supposedly my ballast is on it's way out...along with everything else in my car
Not to mention, I've never actually had working a/c as long as I've owned the car.

I am unfortunately not under warranty and this is costing me a small fortune. Also my "mechanics" are terrible and the dealership in my area is useless.

Just getting very frustrated with the constant repairs - is anyone else having similar issues after 80K ? Any words of wisdom ?
Old 01-29-2013, 04:17 PM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by mrazzle
I just made it to 100K last week - yay! very exciting.
However, this past year it seems as if my car is slowly falling apart.

First my front oxygen sensor went...went awhile after that without an issue.
Then my passenger side power lock stopped functioning.
Then my starter went - the day after that, my alternator.
Now...my driver side HID bulb went and supposedly my ballast is on it's way out...along with everything else in my car
Not to mention, I've never actually had working a/c as long as I've owned the car.

I am unfortunately not under warranty and this is costing me a small fortune. Also my "mechanics" are terrible and the dealership in my area is useless.

Just getting very frustrated with the constant repairs - is anyone else having similar issues after 80K ? Any words of wisdom ?
You're a victim of.... a 2004 TSX. The pages of this forum (1st Generation TSX) are full of tales of woe as recounted by many like you. Not all 2004 cars were effected; we have those here that have had few if any issues. But this particular car seemed to suffer (and I guess still does) from more than it's share of "first model year blues". Numerous electrical gremlins, AC problems (as you are evidently aware), and oil burning engines (Canadian cars). My only advice would be to get the car into sellable (is that a word?) condition, and dump it. Of course the problem with that course of action is after you've spent all this money, you're basically starting over. Or you can keep it. It seems that after all the problems have been rectified, it can actually be a pretty good car. And 100K miles is nothing; I just sold my 05 after almost 8 years and 178K miles. I had zero problems and it still runs like new.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:33 PM
mrgold35

Received 1,507 Likes on 1,175 Posts
I've owned Honda/Acura for +20 years. From my experience, Honda/Acura on average are pretty much rock solid after the 3rd model year. I have +97,000 on my 06 TSX and it has just been tires, brakes, battery and oil changes in the last 6 years. I waited until the 06 model was out before I pulled the trigger (very glad I waited).

It might be time to trade or upgrade if you are having that many problems.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:58 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,626 Likes on 13,878 Posts
Dunno if there are any quick and inexpensive fixes based on what you are saying...You may have to cut your losses and look into trading/selling your TSX.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:17 AM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by mrgold35
I've owned Honda/Acura for +20 years. From my experience, Honda/Acura on average are pretty much rock solid after the 3rd model year. I have +97,000 on my 06 TSX and it has just been tires, brakes, battery and oil changes in the last 6 years. I waited until the 06 model was out before I pulled the trigger (very glad I waited).

It might be time to trade or upgrade if you are having that many problems.
I think 3 years is a bit much (and you actually only waited through 2 model years). The problems that first model year cars (and not just Honda's, any car) encounter are almost always caused by supplier issues; the manufacturing methodology is basically solid by the time the cars start to roll off the line. There are exceptions as always, but there's no doubt in my mind that an 05 TSX has HVAC components, many, if not all, electrical items, some engine parts, etc. that were sourced either from different suppliers, or ones that had the fear of God (no more orders from Honda) held over their head relative to an 04 model. The 05's were not perfect, but pretty much all of the gremlins that plague the 04's were rectified. Ironically, to your case, I think the 06-08 refresh was drastic enough in that I would have waited for the 07 (oh wait.... we did).
Old 01-30-2013, 09:30 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,507 Likes on 1,175 Posts
Originally Posted by Simba91102
I think 3 years is a bit much (and you actually only waited through 2 model years).
Not sure by "I actually only waited through 2 model years". I'm thinking the 04 TSX came out as an early 2003 model, then one calendar year of production as the 04 model, minor upgrades and improvements in the 05 model, and then MMC refresh in 06 (minor changes in 07-08). Maybe mrazzle has an early 03 version of the TSX?

I am counting almost 3 ½ to 4 years of upgrades, TSB, and improvements when the 06 finally hits the road. The TSX platform also had the advantage of being sold worldwide to help its reliability issues with each model year. The 05 would fall into the 3rd year (of my jacked up logic) of becoming rock solid.

For peace of mind, I would prefer not to purchase the first model year of any car because I keep them +150,000 miles. I would only take a first model year if I lease or buy cars every 2-3 years (keep them until the factory warranty runs out). I don't have that kind of cash for a new car with one kid in college and another starting to drive in a few months.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:35 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have a 04 also, purchased used, has given me a lot more problems then those with the ones build the years after. The problems more or less haven't been too bad.

-Replaced brakes 3 times in first two years (turned out I had bad front calipers)
-Replaced 2 front calipers
-Replaced RR upper control arm, TSB, but I was out of warranty so paid out of pocket, wasn't too bad.
-Replaced both headlights HID blub and one igniter
-Dome lights stop working (turned out from wire shortage), drove around for almost a year without light inside.
-Moisture in one headlight (haven't decided to reseal or just replace)
-Starter (just died this past weekend)

I have a bunch of receipts from the previous owner and it showed he was intelligent enough to purchase a extended warranty. He replaced the entire AC system ($2k job), center dash light, and rear brakes once (out of pocket) on top of the usual oil changes.

Either way, lesson learned. I'm not purchasing a first year model car ever again. Car drives fine but I have replaced a few more things then expected. I know someone with the face life version and has 100k miles free of any problems .....
Old 03-07-2013, 01:06 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
most of the items seems like its just wear and tear items.

ya know, the car is almost 9 years old....
The following users liked this post:
Melon Cali Mali (04-24-2023)
Old 10-08-2018, 11:07 AM
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry

Originally Posted by mickey513
I have a 04 also, purchased used, has given me a lot more problems then those with the ones build the years after. The problems more or less haven't been too bad.

-Replaced brakes 3 times in first two years (turned out I had bad front calipers)
-Replaced 2 front calipers
-Replaced RR upper control arm, TSB, but I was out of warranty so paid out of pocket, wasn't too bad.
-Replaced both headlights HID blub and one igniter
-Dome lights stop working (turned out from wire shortage), drove around for almost a year without light inside.
-Moisture in one headlight (haven't decided to reseal or just replace)
-Starter (just died this past weekend)

I have a bunch of receipts from the previous owner and it showed he was intelligent enough to purchase a extended warranty. He replaced the entire AC system ($2k job), center dash light, and rear brakes once (out of pocket) on top of the usual oil changes.

I have 120k on my '04 TSX. Here is a general summary.

- HUBS and BEARINGs FL & FR (what a pain in the ass job, almost made me want to scrap the TSX)
Not there yet with replacing front calipers
- Replaced FL & FR upper & Lower control arms
- Not quite there yet with headlight bulbs , however my license plate lights died and were replaced.
- No issue with Dome lights (thank the heavens).
-Both headlights started fading due to the elements (sanded, polished , applied vinyl cover). Didn't want to drop the front bumper just to remove the headlamps.
-Starter failed and had to be replaced at 95k.
Old 10-11-2018, 08:18 PM
2nd Gear

Another sucker stuck with a 2004 TSX

Hi everyone, not sure if anyone is still on this thread or not but thought I would give it a shot. So I bought a 04 TSX less than a year ago. Car has been ok for me so far. I believe I am the 3rd owner of the car. Some problems here and there from the get go. I have the Nav system and it seems to be on a neverending loop. In the time I have had the car, the Nav has only worked maybe a couple times. Usually it loads then freezes and reboots and is stuck from there. From what I have read it's most likely the DVD rom that needs to be replaced. Also have never had a working A/C. Not sure what to even look at with that. Probably need to replace the front struts and tires too. Now I have a CEL and did a scan and got the code P2647 - "A rocker arm actuator system stuck on bank 1". I checked the engine oil and the levels might be high but I believe is good. Also checked the RPMs and that seemed to be good but that was after clearing the code. I'm not a mechanic myself and am afraid to tear into things myself without someone there to guide me and with really no income right now, i can't afford to take it to someone. I'm not sure what to do.
Old 04-02-2019, 04:29 AM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I must have gotten a good one. 396k and still rolling. A/c after 250k, timing every 150k, alternator and ps pump. That’s about it. Use castrol syntech, and drive it like you stole it. Good luck
The following users liked this post:
Melon Cali Mali (04-24-2023)
Old 03-20-2020, 10:34 AM
9th Gear

2010 Auto. 112K miles. Navi DVD had to be replaced and upholstery is falling down from the roof. There is also the steering column clicking but other than that, only other thing has been fluid changes and drive belt. Nothing else.