Excited - Royal Blue Pearl - "It looks like a jewel"

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2006, 04:48 PM
Swinger, just ask Lindy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by helraiser
swirlie... sounds like a plan!! Everyone knows that black is faster though. Just goes without saying!
You can be faster, we'll just cruise. Everybody can admire our RBPs longer.

Originally Posted by Beoshingus
Yeah, BEHIND the CGPs. LOL. Actually, I love the RBP. Wish they'd had it when I bought mine.
Well, of COURSE behind the CGPs, Beoshingus. You can't have the stars come out first. Always gotta build up to it and save the best for last.

Hehe, seriously, though, I was going to get a CGP until I saw the RBP.
Old 01-20-2006, 11:06 PM
No Longer a Poseur

Originally Posted by acn684
Do not use dishsoap...not only is it a really strong stripping agent, it breaks down the rubber seals around the door....

For cars, wash car with car wash to remove dirts and such, polishers to build shine and create adhesion - remember, polish is exactly like using a really fine sandpaper, does the same stuff, strips a thin layer of wax/top coat.

That should be good enough for waxing, dish soap (dawn usually) is too much..

So did I read vasu's Ultimate Car Care FAQ wrong? (See step 1). If this has been overturned, then I must have missed that. (I haven't read that thread again since it was created, really)

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...hlight=claying

If he's still right and you thought I meant use dish soap all the time, then I must clarify to say that you only use dish soap when you are claying the car....after that, you use the car wash soap. I was under the impression that in order to clay properly, you must strip all the wax off first?
Old 01-20-2006, 11:28 PM
No Longer a Poseur

Originally Posted by excited
Thanks

I see that you are from Alberta and I'm not sure if you are in the Edmonton area. Westside Acura sells Lexol and gave me a free bottle on the purchase of my TSX. Perhaps other Alberta Acura dealers have it as well.

I have heard mix things about using dish washing soap. At Cdn tire along the shelves was a banner which warned against using it.

Excited

I'm actually on the other side of the city from you (if my guess that you live on the side of the trail that has the giant WalMart is correct....possibly Deer Ridge or Oakmont area?).

And, if Vasu was wrong about the dish detergent when you are claying and applying all the layers, then I'll retract that part of my advice. I never use dish detergent other than when I want to do the whole clay-seal-polymer wax thing. I use Meguiar's Deep Crystal car wash when i just want to wash the car normally.
Old 01-21-2006, 04:27 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 165 Likes on 127 Posts
Mikema,
A number of Pro detailers that I have talked with say using dawn is a bad idea. I also feel this way having researched it, and will never use dawn on my own cars. For one thing, it is not good for your trim. In any event, dawn is simply not needed. Using detailing products like clay, polish, and chemical paint cleaners will rid your car of wax and prepare you paint for a nice new coat of sealant/wax.
Old 01-21-2006, 06:46 PM
No Longer a Poseur

Originally Posted by West6MT
Mikema,
A number of Pro detailers that I have talked with say using dawn is a bad idea. I also feel this way having researched it, and will never use dawn on my own cars. For one thing, it is not good for your trim. In any event, dawn is simply not needed. Using detailing products like clay, polish, and chemical paint cleaners will rid your car of wax and prepare you paint for a nice new coat of sealant/wax.

Okie doke. Thanks for the info--I'll definitely update my routine now. So after a bunch of wax/seals, you don't have to worry about buildiup? Perhaps the Dawn is only required when you're doing the Zaino process, which is a tougher coating than sealant/wax?
Old 01-21-2006, 06:52 PM
Senior Moderator

I am not sure what you mean by build up of wax/sealants? You can have 15 layers of sealant on your car if you want. After a time it will wear off however. If you want to get rid of all the "old wax" or sealant that was on the car and start with a totally new coat of sealant or wax,............you would use the things I mentioned above.
Old 01-21-2006, 06:56 PM
Senior Moderator

Waxes generally last about 5 or 6 weeks,..there are exceptions. Sealants can last 5 months with good care.

You can put on additional layers with some time in between as well. That is what car washes and quick detailers etc can be used for. Spray on waxes or QD's that contain wax can help maintain your carnuba on the car.

I am trying to keep this brief,.....this isnt really the proper place to talk about this. Maybe PM me with Q's if you want.
Old 01-21-2006, 06:58 PM
Senior Moderator

You can PM me MikeMa if you have a lot of questions about process etc. I am happy to help,......the wash and wax forum is usefull as well.
Old 01-22-2006, 01:46 AM
Still Lovin my 06

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MikeMa
So did I read vasu's Ultimate Car Care FAQ wrong? (See step 1). If this has been overturned, then I must have missed that. (I haven't read that thread again since it was created, really)

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...hlight=claying

If he's still right and you thought I meant use dish soap all the time, then I must clarify to say that you only use dish soap when you are claying the car....after that, you use the car wash soap. I was under the impression that in order to clay properly, you must strip all the wax off first?
from the same forum, posted by Homer, a prof detailer:

3- You mention using dawn d/w liquid when stripping off any polymer to "start again" if you wish. Yes, many folks will want to strip off what they have (since it lasts for months and months) to do touch up paint, or other paint related work - BUT, Dawn will NOT remove Zaino in any way shape or form. I do not suspect it removes FF either actually, but cant swear to that. Polymers (Zaino anyways) can ONLY be removed with either rubbing alcohol or an abrasive product (3m swirl remover, rubbing compounds etc) . . . There are, of course, times that people will use 3M # 39009 to remove zaino, if they have discoverd micro-marring or spider webbing etc , on the paint.....

Katana18:

I know the Zaino site says its ok to use it, and just for that reason i have never tried them. The first rule in the book is to use car wash soap for your car, and keep the Dawn in the kitchen. If you want to "clean all the other crap off the top" just clay it. A dishwashing detergent is way too harsh for a clear coat finish. It will strip everything off, including the oils in the clear coat which gives it its shine. Over time, with repeated uses, it will dull the clear coat, giving it the "oxidized, cloudy" look.

homer had a response to this, saying darn won't strip all that off.

iVETECHokie:

1. The claying process and/or preping the paint with a pre-wax cleaner (like One Grand Omega Hand Glaze or P21S Paintwork Cleanser) will remove the wax on the car far more efficiently than Dawn. The pre-wax cleaner also povides a really nice deep shine to apply your polymer or carnauba wax over. So if you are claying the car or using a pre-wax cleaner do you really need to use Dawn?

also, exceldetail talks about why you shouldn't use dawn in various posts. i'm never letting the stuff tough my car. that's why the good men made car wash soap.
Old 01-22-2006, 05:56 PM
Senior Moderator

werd brady,........^^
Old 01-23-2006, 12:18 AM
TSX4EVR

I'm back from my Eastern Canada jaunt visiting Toronto, Milton, Barrie, Alliston, Tottenham and Milhurst. My rental car was a Chevy Malibu and I wished I had my TSX the whole time.

It was nice to see it when I arrived home. I look forward to driving it tomorrow morning.

Tomorrow a lot of Ford employees will lose their jobs. I feel a little bad about not buying domestic, but there was not a domestic car that came close to the TSX. The only way the big 3 will learn is through tough love though.

I wish the best for those workers and their families.

Excited
Old 01-23-2006, 12:29 AM
Senior Moderator

Werd, always sad to hear about ppl losing their jobs.

You came to TO and didnt let us torontonians know,.......could have had a mini meet hahaha (cough and you would have seen my NBP and wished you got that instead of RBP,..MUAHAHAHA couldnt resist,.........cough).
Old 01-23-2006, 12:21 PM
Advanced

Alright, my car was confirmed as being ordered by my dealer, now they have to see if it passes the wish list - Acura's list of what cars they plan to build next month.
Old 01-23-2006, 06:59 PM
TSX4EVR

Werd, always sad to hear about ppl losing their jobs.

You came to TO and didnt let us torontonians know,.......could have had a mini meet hahaha (cough and you would have seen my NBP and wished you got that instead of RBP,..MUAHAHAHA couldnt resist,.........cough).
Actually it was a very whirl wind visit so sorry for not trying to arrange any meets (even though I would have been TSXless). After I know longer could get the ASM, I actually ordered the NBP for about a week. When I saw the RBP for the first time I then changed my order. So I did have the choice. NBP is a great colour. Almost as great as RBP.

It always amazes me how fast the highways are. I started off going 120 kph (75 mph) in the 100 kph zone but quickly realized that I needed to be in the slow lane if I was going to go that speed. I eventually averaged 130 to 140 kph (85 mph) to keep pace. I passed radar police and they never batted an eyelid.

If you go more than 9 kph (6 mph) over the limit here you are eligable for a photograph or to be pulled over.

Excited
Old 01-23-2006, 07:00 PM
TSX4EVR

Originally Posted by Gooker1
Alright, my car was confirmed as being ordered by my dealer, now they have to see if it passes the wish list - Acura's list of what cars they plan to build next month.
Congrats, what did you wish for?

Excited
Old 01-23-2006, 11:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Actually it was a very whirl wind visit so sorry for not trying to arrange any meets (even though I would have been TSXless). After I know longer could get the ASM, I actually ordered the NBP for about a week. When I saw the RBP for the first time I then changed my order. So I did have the choice. NBP is a great colour. Almost as great as RBP.

It always amazes me how fast the highways are. I started off going 120 kph (75 mph) in the 100 kph zone but quickly realized that I needed to be in the slow lane if I was going to go that speed. I eventually averaged 130 to 140 kph (85 mph) to keep pace. I passed radar police and they never batted an eyelid.

If you go more than 9 kph (6 mph) over the limit here you are eligable for a photograph or to be pulled over.

Excited

LOL, ya traffic tends to move at a pretty good rate. Going 120 - 140 is pretty normal most of the time. Today it was pretty nice and I was out and about. I was coming onto the hwy,........no one in front of me,.......a long curve that straightens out for the merge,........OH YEAH,.....stretched the TSX's legs hehehe. Lots of fun to go through the gears in the TSX MT. I need my first oil change though.
Old 01-24-2006, 07:47 PM
TSX4EVR

LOL, ya traffic tends to move at a pretty good rate. Going 120 - 140 is pretty normal most of the time. Today it was pretty nice and I was out and about. I was coming onto the hwy,........no one in front of me,.......a long curve that straightens out for the merge,........OH YEAH,.....stretched the TSX's legs hehehe. Lots of fun to go through the gears in the TSX MT. I need my first oil change though.
I would have loved to have had my TSX in Toronto to stretch out it's legs a little. So far the maximum legal road speed that I have taken it on is 80 kpm (50 mph). Friday I have a quick business trip to Red Deer so I should be able to stretch it a little.

I am looking forward to dry clean roads and summer tires to try one turn on the way to work. I want to take it without slowing down.

The TSX is a very tight car and I love how it corners the little that I have tested it.

I actually haven't taken a picture of my TSX in a few days but the love affair isn't over. I will give it a good wash this weekend and take some more pictures.

Excited
Old 01-24-2006, 09:23 PM
Pro

Red deer, is that the small town between edmonton and calgary!?

I remember passing by there when i was visiting calgary. Cute little town

i would love to drive the TSX on that highway, i remember my whole visit, not 1 single cop.
Imagine driving it in the mountains....oooooooo..
Old 01-24-2006, 10:30 PM
TSX4EVR

Originally Posted by Tintin
Red deer, is that the small town between edmonton and calgary!?

I remember passing by there when i was visiting calgary. Cute little town

i would love to drive the TSX on that highway, i remember my whole visit, not 1 single cop.
Imagine driving it in the mountains....oooooooo..
Well the cute little town has a population of about 80,000, but yes it is the one between Calgary and Edmonton. The highway is very wide open and for the most part appears under patrolled, but the RCMP can show up anywhere. It is a highway that you can stretch the 9km over rule.

It's funny, most springs I am dying for them to come so I can go golfing. I find myself hoping for spring this year so that I can clay and wax my TSX to make it nice and shiny. lol

Excited
Old 01-25-2006, 10:19 PM
TSX4EVR

I washed my TSX again and tried to get home before dark to take some pictures but didn't make it in time.

The RBP can look different in different lights, sometimes looking almost black. This is one of those times:

Excited
Old 01-25-2006, 10:28 PM
Pro

From a guy that lives in a major city (montreal), population of 80,000 is very very small.
Old 01-25-2006, 10:34 PM
TSX4EVR

From a guy that lives in a major city (montreal), population of 80,000 is very very small.
This is true. lol

I worked in Montreal for a year and a half. I live in Pincourt on the Island of Illes Perrot. I did lots of fishing around the Island but never dared to eat any of them.

Montreal is a great city,

Excited
Old 01-26-2006, 06:31 AM
Still Lovin my 06

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
how big is montreal?
Old 01-26-2006, 07:18 PM
TSX4EVR

Originally Posted by bradykp
how big is montreal?
lol, I see where you are going. The greater Montreal area has a population of just under 4 million.

Excited
Old 01-26-2006, 07:43 PM
TSX4EVR

Now the funny thing about having a waxed car is that when it rains it beads up the water. If the sun comes out before you get to it, all of those water beads become water spots and your car ends up looking worse.

Is this just the way life is, or is there a magic way of preventing the water spots?

Excited
Old 01-27-2006, 07:16 PM
TSX4EVR

Drove to the small town between Edmonton and Calgary. I drove through thick ice fog most of the way. The moisture crystalized on my hood and mirrors. It wasn't a good opportunity to stretch the TSX's legs.

Departing Red Deer, entering highway two, I wanted to show the guy who travelled with me how the SS worked. I accelerate through 1st to 4th, reving the engine each time to around 6800 rpms before shifting. I just made it into fourth before starting to slow down.

The guy asked me how fast have I had the TSX. I said well that was actually it, as I haven't had much opportunity to stretch it's legs. He said wow, do you know that you were going, you wer going over 160 kph. I looked down in disbelief as the needle was dropping between 160 and 150.

I couldn't believe that I got up to that speed so quick. Needless to say that he was impressed with the TSX, not only for it's speed but also for all the features that came standard.

Got back to the Edmonton area and they had a touch of snow. But I guess it was a little icy while I was gone as they had dumped a lot of sand on the roads which just became muck. I had a friend from Toronto showing up and seeing the TSX for the first time. Needless to say I washed it for the third day in a row.

Excited
Old 01-27-2006, 07:55 PM
Instructor

Hey everybody, just bought my 06 TSX....I got ASM 5AT...I know this is the RBP thread but....ASM rules. Actually it was a really difficult choice and it came down to RBP and ASM but I still say that the TSX looks good in both.

I'll post pics in the photographs section once I pick it up this Monday.
Old 01-27-2006, 09:26 PM
wagon owner

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
RBP get dirty so damn fast. Pretty much when pulling onto the street after a wash.

Like Homer growing a beard.

Old 01-27-2006, 10:37 PM
1st Gear

Smile Received my RBP this week!

Hello - My first Post! First, thanks for all your threads, it was influential in my decision making (although I am sure there will be disagreements with my choices!)

I am in Houston and got my RBP with Navi and tan interior this week. Today they finished installing the full body skirt and spoiler. I am considering 18 inch wheels and open to suggestions.

It was the first 06 body skirt they did, and they asked me if they could take photos. It was worth the wait, knowing the photos will help others make the decision! I was told only RBP with body skirt in Texas, and 1 of 5 in TX in RBP. But maybe they were bragging.

I look forward to interacting, and will post photos as soon as I get them done!
Old 01-28-2006, 01:16 AM
Senior Moderator

Now the funny thing about having a waxed car is that when it rains it beads up the water. If the sun comes out before you get to it, all of those water beads become water spots and your car ends up looking worse.

Is this just the way life is, or is there a magic way of preventing the water spots?

Excited
Excited,
Unless you dont let rain get on your car and dry,........no. However, I wouldnt leave waterspots on your unprotected paint dude. Rain is acidic, and if you leave the water spots long enough (ex longer than a week or so) it may etch your paint. This is likely for you since you dont have a sealant or wax on your car protecting your finish (last time I checked anyway). I forget if I mentioned it before or not, but you might need a light polish when spring rolls around.
Old 01-28-2006, 01:18 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by TSXdawg
Hey everybody, just bought my 06 TSX....I got ASM 5AT...I know this is the RBP thread but....ASM rules. Actually it was a really difficult choice and it came down to RBP and ASM but I still say that the TSX looks good in both.

Congrats.
Old 01-28-2006, 01:18 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by badrobot
Hello - My first Post! First, thanks for all your threads, it was influential in my decision making (although I am sure there will be disagreements with my choices!)

I am in Houston and got my RBP with Navi and tan interior this week. Today they finished installing the full body skirt and spoiler. I am considering 18 inch wheels and open to suggestions.

It was the first 06 body skirt they did, and they asked me if they could take photos. It was worth the wait, knowing the photos will help others make the decision! I was told only RBP with body skirt in Texas, and 1 of 5 in TX in RBP. But maybe they were bragging.

Congrats and welcome to the forum.
Old 01-28-2006, 02:39 AM
No Longer a Poseur

Originally Posted by bradykp
from the same forum, posted by Homer, a prof detailer:

3- You mention using dawn d/w liquid when stripping off any polymer to "start again" if you wish. Yes, many folks will want to strip off what they have (since it lasts for months and months) to do touch up paint, or other paint related work - BUT, Dawn will NOT remove Zaino in any way shape or form. I do not suspect it removes FF either actually, but cant swear to that. Polymers (Zaino anyways) can ONLY be removed with either rubbing alcohol or an abrasive product (3m swirl remover, rubbing compounds etc) . . . There are, of course, times that people will use 3M # 39009 to remove zaino, if they have discoverd micro-marring or spider webbing etc , on the paint.....

Katana18:

I know the Zaino site says its ok to use it, and just for that reason i have never tried them. The first rule in the book is to use car wash soap for your car, and keep the Dawn in the kitchen. If you want to "clean all the other crap off the top" just clay it. A dishwashing detergent is way too harsh for a clear coat finish. It will strip everything off, including the oils in the clear coat which gives it its shine. Over time, with repeated uses, it will dull the clear coat, giving it the "oxidized, cloudy" look.

homer had a response to this, saying darn won't strip all that off.

iVETECHokie:

1. The claying process and/or preping the paint with a pre-wax cleaner (like One Grand Omega Hand Glaze or P21S Paintwork Cleanser) will remove the wax on the car far more efficiently than Dawn. The pre-wax cleaner also povides a really nice deep shine to apply your polymer or carnauba wax over. So if you are claying the car or using a pre-wax cleaner do you really need to use Dawn?

also, exceldetail talks about why you shouldn't use dawn in various posts. i'm never letting the stuff tough my car. that's why the good men made car wash soap.
I stand schooled. Thanks for all the info. This will definitely cut down on my time, since I don't have to rinse out the bucket and wash mit of the dish soap. I guess I just kinda took the stuff on this forum as gospel, since I knew very little at the time (and because it seemed like so many people here agreed on the steps).
Old 01-28-2006, 09:10 PM
Advanced.

Ya know, I was set on this color until I saw it under natural light and outside of pictures such as this threads holds. It was too purple for me.
Old 01-29-2006, 10:46 AM
TSX4EVR

Originally Posted by TSXdawg

Congrats, you know that I like ASM. I look forward to seeing your pics on Monday.

Excited
Old 01-29-2006, 10:51 AM
TSX4EVR

Originally Posted by kball
RBP get dirty so damn fast. Pretty much when pulling onto the street after a wash.

Like Homer growing a beard.

You know, although I have washed my RBP a lot to try and keep it perfect, I haven't really found that it gets too dirty too fast.

Yesterday I drove through sloppy and dirty streets. I saw white cars and other cars with the muck on them and they looked terrible. My TSX didn't look too bad.

Sometimes I find that dark colours don't have as great as contrast with the dirt and the colour.

Excited
Old 01-29-2006, 10:57 AM
TSX4EVR

Excited,
Unless you dont let rain get on your car and dry,........no. However, I wouldnt leave waterspots on your unprotected paint dude. Rain is acidic, and if you leave the water spots long enough (ex longer than a week or so) it may etch your paint. This is likely for you since you dont have a sealant or wax on your car protecting your finish (last time I checked anyway). I forget if I mentioned it before or not, but you might need a light polish when spring rolls around.
I did wash it on the way home so the water spots didn't sit too long.

I did get paint protection put on the TSX as part of an overall protection package, so that should protect me until spring.

As soon as spring comes I wil clay, polish and wax her. I actually can't wait.

Ideal will be when I take my freshly clayed, polish waxed TSX to the golf course in the spring.

Excited
Old 01-29-2006, 11:02 AM
TSX4EVR

Originally Posted by Knox
Ya know, I was set on this color until I saw it under natural light and outside of pictures such as this threads holds. It was too purple for me.
Maybe we haven't had bright enough light here but I haven't seen the purple in the colour so far. Mostly it is a dark blue to a black. Under fluorescent ligths it does take on a lighter brillance.

Excited
Old 01-29-2006, 11:04 AM
TSX4EVR

Originally Posted by badrobot

Congrats, great colour choice and welcome to the forum. I really look forward to seeing your pics with the RBP in a body kit!

Excited
Old 01-29-2006, 04:13 PM
Instructor

Congrats, you know that I like ASM. I look forward to seeing your pics on Monday.

Excited
Yes, if I can figure out how to post pics, haven't done it before. I was doing a search and I don't think anybody has posted an 06 ASM yet, so maybe I'll be the first.

Quick Reply: Excited - Royal Blue Pearl - "It looks like a jewel"