Calling all 2nd gen TLs who currently own a TSX: what do you think of your TSX?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2006 | 05:04 PM
Cruisin'

Calling all 2nd gen TLs who currently own a TSX: what do you think of your TSX?

Hi guys,

I'm a current owner of a 2002 TL Type-S and I am thinking of trading in my car for a 2006 TSX. My question is, as a former TL owner, did you regret "downsizing" (in the sense that TSX is a lower model in the Acura model heirarchy. I'm using the word loosely here) to a TSX? Or do you enjoy owning your TSX?

Thanks for your input!
Old 01-20-2006 | 05:07 PM
Cruisin'

My title should say: "Calling all 2nd gen TLs who currently owns a TSX: what do you think of your TSX
Old 01-20-2006 | 05:13 PM
アコードタイプSとくれば、喜びもひとし お。思わず投

Originally Posted by siocontl
Hi guys,

I'm a current owner of a 2002 TL Type-S and I am thinking of trading in my car for a 2006 TSX. My question is, as a former TL owner, did you regret "downsizing" (in the sense that TSX is a lower model in the Acura model heirarchy. I'm using the word loosely here) to a TSX? Or do you enjoy owning your TSX?

Thanks for your input!
No offense to the 2nd gen TL owners, I would'nt considered it as "downsizing" more like "upgrading".
Old 01-20-2006 | 05:23 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by lito
No offense to the 2nd gen TL owners, I would'nt considered it as "downsizing" more like "upgrading".

My mom had the 2nd gen TL when I first got my TSX back in 2003. By comparison, the TSX is a huge improvement over the TL in just about every way except size and engine power.
Old 01-20-2006 | 05:27 PM
Racer

The one thing I'm impressed about my co-worker's 2nd gen TL is the side mirror that tilts down as you're backup up. You won't get that in the TSX. But you'll be getting a lot more other goodies with this car.
Old 01-20-2006 | 05:36 PM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

The TSX is not an upgrade from a TL-S, sorry guys. You're losing a lot of power and a significant amount of interior room. Stock for Stock, the TSX also has a poor sound system in comparsion to the TL-S. The interior design is better on the TSX, but exterior of TL-S is better IMO.

Unless gas mileage is a concern or speed is not a concern, the TSX is the way to go. But if you're accustomed to a high output V6, look for a certified pre-owned Gen3 TL.
Old 01-20-2006 | 05:44 PM
now with 7 gears

I'd go with a brand new TSX just to get away from the 2G TL's potential tranny problems.

Now on the other hand, I'd prefer to upgrade from a 2G TL to a 3G TL, but that's just my
Old 01-20-2006 | 07:54 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 03CoupeV6
The TSX is not an upgrade from a TL-S, sorry guys. You're losing a lot of power and a significant amount of interior room. Stock for Stock, the TSX also has a poor sound system in comparsion to the TL-S. The interior design is better on the TSX, but exterior of TL-S is better IMO.

Unless gas mileage is a concern or speed is not a concern, the TSX is the way to go. But if you're accustomed to a high output V6, look for a certified pre-owned Gen3 TL.
Puhhlease...

The sound system in the 2nd gen TL is not better than the TSX sound system. The TSX system is much better in terms or reproduction of sound. The old Bose system has more volume, sure, but it definitely fails to beat the TSX sound system in all other areas.

As as for the power, and size, I already mentioned that those are the only two areas where the 2nd gen TL surpasses the TSX. But the TSX is better in EVERY other way. Plus, you can't get the MT at all in the 2nd gen TL, which is a huge plus for the TSX. Less worries about transmission failure.
Old 01-20-2006 | 09:22 PM
2nd Gear

I just got a TSX today as a "loaner" while some work is beeing done to my 2000TL... I like the looks of the TSX and probably had my hopes up a little high as to how it would drive, but I think my 2000TL just "drives" better. It soaks up the bumps better, and even my 225 horse six feels much more powerful than the TSX4. Don't get me wrong, I like the TSX...I drove 3 generations of Integras before my TL, but that is really what the TSX feels like...the doors sound a little tinny when shut, and the 4 cylinder sound and lag just don't quite get it to the same category as the TL....I still think if I decide to "down-size" my vehicle, its my #1 choice....but it just won't feel the same as a TL.
Old 01-20-2006 | 09:35 PM
Guinea Pig

Originally Posted by GhostRider
I just got a TSX today as a "loaner" while some work is beeing done to my 2000TL... I like the looks of the TSX and probably had my hopes up a little high as to how it would drive, but I think my 2000TL just "drives" better. It soaks up the bumps better, and even my 225 horse six feels much more powerful than the TSX4. Don't get me wrong, I like the TSX...I drove 3 generations of Integras before my TL, but that is really what the TSX feels like...the doors sound a little tinny when shut, and the 4 cylinder sound and lag just don't quite get it to the same category as the TL....I still think if I decide to "down-size" my vehicle, its my #1 choice....but it just won't feel the same as a TL.
You mean your 225hp V6 feels more powerful than the 175 whp of the stock TSX? hmmmm...Imagine that?
Old 01-20-2006 | 09:42 PM
2nd Gear

the operative word was MUCH more powerful....again...not trying to start anything...I was really hoping that the 5 years would make a difference ...besides isn't it like 190+ horses to 225?
Old 01-20-2006 | 10:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by CJams
You mean your 225hp V6 feels more powerful than the 175 whp of the stock TSX? hmmmm...Imagine that?
Yeah, why are you comparing flywheel to wheel hp?
Keep it consistent if you're going to be doing a comparison.
Old 01-22-2006 | 09:20 PM
Instructor

ya, im in the same boat.... i reallllyyy like the tsx, but i am split between the tsx and the new accord. i luv the tsx styling and xenon lights... but its just the mere facts that im buying a new car thats is nearly 2 seconds slowere then a car that is being handed down to my brother....(that foreshadows some baddd trash talk btwn uss )

p.s.-- guys tell me wats up with the tsx vs. accord, and assure me of whats right.
Old 01-22-2006 | 09:21 PM
Instructor

ya, im in the same boat.... i reallllyyy like the tsx, but i am split between the tsx and the new accord. i luv the tsx styling and xenon lights... but its just the mere facts that im buying a new car thats is nearly 2 seconds slowere then a car that is being handed down to my brother....(that foreshadows some baddd trash talk btwn uss )

p.s.-- guys tell me wats up with the tsx vs. accord, and assure me of whats right.( both prob gonan be AT, and navi... ya the sportshift(tsx) is already buggin me... but being able to peel out on demand(accord v6) is also buggin me)
Old 01-22-2006 | 10:42 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by gcjin2007

p.s.-- guys tell me wats up with the tsx vs. accord, and assure me of whats right.( both prob gonan be AT, and navi... ya the sportshift(tsx) is already buggin me... but being able to peel out on demand(accord v6) is also buggin me)
If you're looking to peel out, you're looking at the wrong cars.
Old 01-22-2006 | 10:50 PM
Instructor

naww its not even that, its just the thought that i dont have the ABILITY to peel out that buggs me... im not lookin for a car that i can peel out on every time i step on the gas. also, is there discoloration on the white paint on the tsx's bumper too? finally, about the navi's on the accord vs. tsx, is it thrue that the tsx has the RL's navi in it???? and, just in case the dealer goes balistic trying to convince me that navi's suck just bec they dont have on in ther lot, what should i tell them to so i can get them the stfu(they did this to me last time when i bought the tl-s)

p.s. guys still have yet to convince me that the tsx is betta then the accord
Old 01-22-2006 | 11:23 PM
Pro

When i was getting my tranny worked on, i had a tsx loaner and I really enjoyed it. I dont think I could ever give up the power I have now, but I'd say the TSX is more fun to drive, even with all the handling parts I have. There is definitely a HUGE power deficit though. Its pretty fun to work through sportshift because the car feels pretty agile. I think if I had to rank them in order i'd say TL-P<TL-S<TSX<TL-S with my mods<SC'd TSX
Old 01-23-2006 | 09:29 AM
Burning Brakes

If going from TL to AT TSX, it is a downgrade but if going from TL to MT TSX, it is a big upgrade.
Old 01-23-2006 | 09:48 AM
Pink as a pistol

I have a 2003 CL-S, which is basiclly the 2 door version of the TL-S, with a little less interior room. I am currently waiting to get my 2006 TSX I ordered last year.

I don't feel like it is really a downgrade to go from the CL-S / TL-S to the TSX when comparing these two cars. While CL-S / TL-S are crowned for their raw power and size, the TSX is far superior in fuel efficiency, handling and pure agility.

As far as technological innovations go, although the TSX lacks the auto-tilt rear view mirror and BOSE sound system, it does have everything else the CL-S have and more, including voice recognition, XM Radio, dual climate control, blue-tooth, iPOD integration, and that HUGE NAVI screen.

Although the TSX is not as powerful as the CL-S / TL-S, but I don't think I will miss the power, since the TSX handles soooo much better and is more fun to drive overall. But then again, if I miss the raw power, I can always take the CL-S out for a spin
Old 01-23-2006 | 11:24 AM
Instructor

wow, the tsx doesnt have the tilt mirror feature, i gotta admit when backin up into a space that is a VERYYYY necessary feature.... and is the audio much worse then the tl-s? and lastly aboutt the power.. is there really nothing from 1000-3000 rpm? if tats true then that reallllyyyyy blowws..
\
p.s. i dont wanna say it but the accord is lookin realllyyy good now
Old 01-23-2006 | 11:37 AM
Team Owner

wow, the tsx doesnt have the tilt mirror feature, i gotta admit when backin up into a space that is a VERYYYY necessary feature.... and is the audio much worse then the tl-s? and lastly aboutt the power.. is there really nothing from 1000-3000 rpm? if tats true then that reallllyyyyy blowws..
\
p.s. i dont wanna say it but the accord is lookin realllyyy good now
Don't believe what people say. Go and test drive the cars back to back to best determine what suits you best. And anyone who says the Bose system is better than the system in the TSX has seriously bought into the Bose advertising because it really is not.

And if you're really that concerned about the 1000-3000 rpm range, get the Hondata reflash for the ECU and you'll feel a noticeable difference.
Old 01-23-2006 | 12:32 PM
Instructor

hondata out for the 06? and will dealers notice it and void warranty?
Old 01-23-2006 | 12:35 PM
Team Owner

hondata out for the 06? and will dealers notice it and void warranty?
Not yet for the 06, but I imagine that it won't be to much longer now that they were able to fully crack the 04 for the comptech supercharger.

As for voiding the warranty, the dealer won't even be able to tell you have it.
Old 01-23-2006 | 12:56 PM
Mugen CL9

Originally Posted by Hondan53
I have a 2003 CL-S, which is basiclly the 2 door version of the TL-S, with a little less interior room. I am currently waiting to get my 2006 TSX I ordered last year.

I don't feel like it is really a downgrade to go from the CL-S / TL-S to the TSX when comparing these two cars. While CL-S / TL-S are crowned for their raw power and size, the TSX is far superior in fuel efficiency, handling and pure agility.

As far as technological innovations go, although the TSX lacks the auto-tilt rear view mirror and BOSE sound system, it does have everything else the CL-S have and more, including voice recognition, XM Radio, dual climate control, blue-tooth, iPOD integration, and that HUGE NAVI screen.

Although the TSX is not as powerful as the CL-S / TL-S, but I don't think I will miss the power, since the TSX handles soooo much better and is more fun to drive overall. But then again, if I miss the raw power, I can always take the CL-S out for a spin
Being a recently former owner of a TL-S, I have to agree here. Other than the larger overall size and power of the V6, the TSX features exceeds those of the TL-S. And the BIG PLUS for me is that there are no tranny issues on the TSX. The tranny issue on the TL-S is just a big hassle and headache even if it is covered under warranty.

So far, it's been a lot of fun driving my TSX. And I'm already looking into options to up the power on this K-series motor.
Old 01-23-2006 | 01:04 PM
08 MDX with Sports

I'm not sure but 2nd gen TLs interiors are pretty outdated and you can't get 6spd with base or Type-s.
Old 01-26-2006 | 07:08 PM
Racer

I UPGRADED from an '02 TL-S and I like the TSX better overall. It has less power, but it has ENOUGH power if you need it once you're already moving. The sound system in the TSX is about equal to that in the TL-S, maybe slightly better. Certainly not significantly worse as someone else said.

The TSX is smaller, but comfortably holds 4, which is plenty for me.

Interior is MUCH nicer than the TL-S and it has every feature that the TL-S had, except for the tilting side mirror when in reverse (which I do miss). Aside from that, I don't really miss anything. I thought I'd miss the power, but I don't. Like I said, when you step on it, the TSX is plenty powerful enough once you're already moving (not so much from a dead stop though).
Old 01-26-2006 | 07:27 PM
Instructor

has anyone done mods to make the passenger mirror lower when in reverse. if so, does anyone have any info on it?
also, is the navi worth the $2000, with the 5 speed auto(drivers are not willing to learn manual, i know....i tried...)