Automatic Transmissions

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2003 | 01:32 PM
Intermediate

Automatic Transmissions

Does anyone here have a TSX with the automatic transmission ?

I want to get it (lots of traffic in my area and my wife insists on it as well as she can't drive standard), but my bro-in-law is discouraging me as he says it adds at least 1.5 secs from 0-60mph and says the engine needs to be pushed to 6 or 7 000 rpm to really perform, and the automatic will shift before I ever get there.

I told him that I'll use the sportshift and shift myself, but he says it's just not the same. That I'll regret getting the TSX (Oh... did I mention he drives an Audi A4 ?)

I really like the TSX, but need to get a car with an automatic (my current car is VW Jetta VR6) What do I do

I need feedback from owners who drive the AUTOMATIC TSX daily...
Old 08-26-2003 | 01:35 PM
Rarrrrrrrr!!!!!!

if doesnt add 1.5sec...... the research indicated at being .5 sec slower than mt
Old 08-26-2003 | 01:38 PM
Pro

I love my manual and wasn't going to get it any other way. For those who have the AT on this board and those who switched from MT to AT in the TSX say that the AT is one of the best out there. Because of the drive-by-wire throttle, the shifts are a lot smoother. MPG on the AT is actually rated higher than the MT.

If you're a speed racer or enjoy the feel of the clutch then definitely get the MT. If you think you want the MT because you think performance will be better, then I think you'll be OK <-- (just OK) with the AT.

There will be plenty more posts on this.
Old 08-26-2003 | 01:57 PM
Instructor

I have the 5AT and it's nice and smooth. Granted, I don't use this car for "racing"...I leave that up to my Impreza, but I must say that the shifts are extremely smooth.

Maybe I'm just used to the groan of a V6 or the whine of a turbo, but I have a hard time discerning when it shifts w/o actually looking at the tach. The engine's smooth and quiet.

I've been going into Sportshift mode quite a bit and it's got a nice feel to it. Really, unless you're into blasting off the line, then there really isn't a problem with the 5AT. Just go get the car and be happy. I surely am...never had a 4 cylinder before and I'm quite thrilled with what the car does.

Nice and smooth on the roads and highways. It's got power when I need it for passing. When I think I've used everything up, I step on the accelerator and it's got plenty more to give.

Happy to answer anymore questions you have.
Old 08-26-2003 | 02:11 PM
Not an Ashtray

I think the AT willl probably add closer to a second 0-60.

Anyway, I have the AT and find it smooth and does not lack power at all. But, I personally have always thought the TSX seemed happier paired with the manual. I live in Los Angeles, and bought the AT to deal with traffic, but I would have prefered the manual.
Old 08-26-2003 | 04:45 PM
Pro

i think it is a very good AT on the market, especially consider it's a 4 cyclinder engine. however, don't take my word, get a test drive and prove your in-law are wrong, but ever 6speed TSX are not design for for drag monster. hope this helps!!
Old 08-26-2003 | 06:24 PM
Advanced

Re: Automatic Transmissions

Originally posted by TSXsoon
As an owner of the auto:

You have nothing to fear.
The gearing on the auto, combined with the throttle-by-wire, makes full use of the engine's torque and power. It's all a matter of how you manage the throttle; you don't have to row through the gears to enjoy the full silk-smooth power of the engine and the proof is readily available:

Take a test drive and see for yourself how fast it can go when you step on it. You'll find that even if you don't lead-foot it, the AT5 TSX will still deliver; the response is quick, robust, and linear.

Never mind what anybody else says, especially if they've never driven a TSX; just test drive one yourself and make up your own mind...
Old 08-26-2003 | 06:33 PM
Burning Brakes

I really like the TSX, but need to get a car with an automatic (my current car is VW Jetta VR6) What do I do

I can't speak for the AT--I've owned only MT cars--but seriously, in every day traffic, how often is anyone going to max-out their accelleration to the briefest 0-60 times to realize a second difference? Whether it's a half second or a 1.5 second difference, it's not going to matter unless exhibition of speed is your only game from stop light to stop light.

If a spouse wants AT, then get AT. It's the lowest common denominator in ease-of-use. A test drive will show how "nice" the AT is. (And that advice is from someone who doesn't particularly like AT.)
Old 08-26-2003 | 07:00 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Originally posted by darth62
Anyway, I have the AT and find it smooth and does not lack power at all. But, I personally have always thought the TSX seemed happier paired with the manual. I live in Los Angeles, and bought the AT to deal with traffic, but I would have prefered the manual.
I am in the same boat. This is my first AT, and I got it due to the crappy area traffic. It is a very smooth transmission, and I think it's relatively 'smart' too - it knows its coupled to a high-revving 4-cyl and will drop gears quickly when you give it gas.

I also agree with Brad - if it's what the spouse wants, it'll work out better for you... unless she's willing to learn MT. Just think: you drive out to the bar, she's not drinking and you want to get hammered - can't do that if she can't drive your ass back! Not that I've been in that situation before

The sportshift is not as much fun as MT, but it's a nice feature. I'd be unhappy without it. BTW, I just realized that you can start the car in 2nd gear using it, which might come in handy in the winter.
Old 08-27-2003 | 01:39 AM
Inspired

Almost every Honda has had the 2nd gear start feature, it works GREAT in the winter.
Old 08-27-2003 | 02:14 AM
My other "car" is a 4x4

The AT is a reasonable compromise to a driver who really wants a MT, but whose wife is clutch-challenged (like my wife, too!)

Since I drive in heavy traffic on a daily basis, I actually prefer the AT. While it may not be quite as fun to drive as a MT, it's certainly a lot smoother between gear changes.

Find a dealer who will take you on an extended test drive so you can play with the sportshift mode.

Oh yeah, the AT doesn't shift "well before 6000 rpm" when you're on the throttle in "D". Although low-RPM power is somewhat lacking, there's plenty of get-up-and-go between 30 and 70 mph, which is when you'll really need the high-RPM power and acceleration 90% of the time (to pass).
Old 08-27-2003 | 02:38 AM
More On

Don't know about difference between AT and MT, except what I've read on this board. But I do know exactly how it is with the AT, and it's GREAT. I would think this mere fact would be just as important to you as what's the difference between the two.

We've had debates about this subject on various threads -- not just about the difference, but about how fast the TSX is, period -- either version of the TSX -- because different reviews have cited such extremely different times for 0-60 (or whatever). Not talking about difference between AT and MT, but different times that were gotten on the same thing. Like WAY different. Like 1.5 seconds or more.

So, I got tired of seeing all those different numbers, and I went and tried it myself a couple of times ("....don't try this at home...."), and I won't say what times I got because everybody dies laughing every time I do (even more so when I tell what my method was), but I'll just say the times were real good. People laugh at it -- but, as far as I know, nobody has actually gone out and proved me wrong.

The best answer for you is to arrange a test drive on the AT, make friends with the dealer so he trusts you, and find a place during the drive to really let her rip for a few seconds. That'll tell you real quick. And I say you'll get the AT.

Really, wouldn't it enough just if you knew that the AT is real, real good?
Wouldn't it then be irrelevant what the difference is between the AT and the MT???
Old 08-27-2003 | 09:22 AM
Intermediate

Thanks for all your input guys ! I think the best thing to do is to test drive both transmissions and just figure it out myself, in real everyday conditions.

Keep 'em coming, it's really interesting to read all your driving impressions.
Old 08-27-2003 | 09:34 AM
Burning Brakes

Thanks for all your input guys ! I think the best thing to do is to test drive both transmissions and just figure it out myself, in real everyday conditions.

Keep 'em coming, it's really interesting to read all your driving impressions.
I drive in the SS mode all the time. One thing to remember is to shift on the gas, if you shift when the throttle is static it shifts slow. In a nutshell, GAS IT, same for the downshifts, just not as critical. It does smooth it out and makes it much quicker.
Old 08-27-2003 | 01:35 PM
Intermediate

swami is right on. The 5AT and throttle by wire communicate well. When using sport shift, the more throttle you give it, the faster it shifts. I use it a lot in traffic so the transmission doesn't hunt between gears.
Old 08-27-2003 | 01:45 PM

...but my bro-in-law is discouraging me as he says it adds at least 1.5 secs from 0-60mph and says the engine needs to be pushed to 6 or 7 000 rpm to really perform, and the automatic will shift before I ever get there.
The AT transmission will get very close to redline in 1st gear. With or without the sport shifter. Your brother-in-law is talking out of turn.

The real questions is do you race cars or do you drive on city streets and highways? If you do not race, you won't miss it too much. I purchased the AT because after performing many test drives in the 6 sp I felt pain in my foot and knee. I broke my foot a few years back. I think you and your wife will enjoy the TSX.
Old 09-01-2003 | 05:06 PM
Intermediate

So in practice, what does the SportShift really give you over just leaving it in automatic?
Old 09-01-2003 | 05:54 PM
Intermediate

Originally posted by reader1
So in practice, what does the SportShift really give you over just leaving it in automatic?
It allows you to choose what gear you want at any time and throttle setting. Same as a manual except that you don't have to use a clutch.
Old 09-01-2003 | 06:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Something to do.
Old 09-01-2003 | 08:18 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

I noticed this past weekend that the automatic sometimes shifts into lower gears when going down hills (as opposed to just drifting down in 'neutral'). My fiance's old Saturn did this as well after you switched it into 'performance' mode. Is this common among today's autos??
Old 09-01-2003 | 08:21 PM
Not an Ashtray

The sportshift doesn't really buy you much. I often want to keep it out of the overdrive geers when climbing hills or passing onto the highway. So, I just put the shifter in D3 and that does the trick. Othertimes, when I'm getting on the highway, I want the car to stay in lower gears a little longer (to keep the revs up).
Old 09-02-2003 | 02:24 PM
My other "car" is a 4x4

I think the sportshift buys you a lot. Without it, you cannot keep the car in your preferred gear- 2nd, for example. SS "2" is useful for steep, winding mountain roads with 20mph corners. It's nicer not to have to modulate the gas and brake as much. (Plus, if you drive a little more agressively on these types of roads, 2nd gear is great!)
Old 09-02-2003 | 02:44 PM
Intermediate

Will the SS provide better 0-40mph acceleration vs the automatic? For me, this is something I use everyday turning right when a gap in traffic appears.
Old 09-02-2003 | 06:50 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Will the SS provide better 0-40mph acceleration vs the automatic? For me, this is something I use everyday turning right when a gap in traffic appears.
If you anticipate the gap appearing, you can downshift in advance and save yourself that fraction of a second that the car would use to do it.

I wonder if it's quicker from a standstill to SS it versus use the auto. You'd think the auto would shift perfectly when floored and it does take it right up to that redline, but you can push it another 200-300 rpms with the SS before you hit the rev limiter. Anyone try timing it?

I think it's cool that the rev limiter just keeps you from blowing the engine and stays in the same gear. BMWs shift for you.
Old 09-02-2003 | 07:13 PM
Instructor

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by Swami
Something to do.

Hahahahahahahahahahaha.

Great post.
Old 09-02-2003 | 09:48 PM
Old fart

"If you gas it, it will go"

The AT TSX is fantastic, it's got smooth transitions between gears, great for when stuck in traffic, and it's got lots of power for an I-4. I'd have to say I'm a fairly friendly with my accelerator and I have no complaints about the AT yet.
I take a road that has a suggested speed of 55mph to work every day and there's a series of stop lights I have to go through. And if you miss one, you're gonna stop for all of them. So every once in a while I get to rev up to 60mph if I'm first at the light and it's got enough pep to make me happy...nothing better to start my day than to hear my TSX rev up in the morning
The car also gets me out of toll booths quick enough to beat a few cars before merging.
Anyways, the car has the power to get you to where you need and it can get you there pretty quickly also. I have yet to regret getting the AT TSX and I doubt I ever will.

Illinois has two seasons: winter and road construction
Old 09-02-2003 | 10:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by XPLORx4
I think the sportshift buys you a lot. Without it, you cannot keep the car in your preferred gear- 2nd, for example. SS "2" is useful for steep, winding mountain roads with 20mph corners. It's nicer not to have to modulate the gas and brake as much. (Plus, if you drive a little more agressively on these types of roads, 2nd gear is great!)
I love 2nd in the AT...It's the ultimate gear, sounds great if your pushin it. Has enough power to pull you from a stop. Anyone that's scared of the AT in the TSX needs to drive one. The people that say the AT is just as quick in AT than SS haven't. I'll race anyone in SS if they put there's in D, it won't be pretty though.
Old 09-04-2003 | 06:38 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by swami
I drive in the SS mode all the time. One thing to remember is to shift on the gas, if you shift when the throttle is static it shifts slow. In a nutshell, GAS IT, same for the downshifts, just not as critical. It does smooth it out and makes it much quicker.
Swami, just wanted to acknowledge someone who, like me, spends a lot of time in SS mode. When I realized I was going to get an automatic transmission in my TSX, I assumed the SS mode would be a novelty that wears off quickly. Not! Like you, I use it nearly all the time because I liked the control it gave me during the break-in period, but now, it's just as close as I can possibly get to manual control.

I also understand your point about shfting "on the gas." That's what I do too and it seems to work very well. I don't know how much slower the TSX is in SS mode compared with the 6-speed, but as I've gained experience with SS, I don't know what more I could ask for - knowing I've got true automatic when I really want it.
Old 09-04-2003 | 06:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by TSX 'R' US

Illinois has two seasons: winter and road construction
All I can say is "Have clutch will travel." I don't want my left foot going to sleep, becoming lethargic, and developing rigor mortis. Think about the benefits for the lower shin muscles too.

Wyoming has two seasons too: winter and August.