timing belt replaced off marks

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2018, 02:23 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation timing belt replaced off marks

This was a DIY with a friend (who usually knows what he doing) the car ran great before: 97 Acura 3.0CL automatic. Regular service interval to change the timing belt according to procedure in Chilton's manual.
The water pump was also replaced and a new auto tensioner with the new belt according to the marks we made on the belts at/on both cam sprockets and the crankshaft pulley (when at TDC) before removing the old belt.
When test driving there was a power loss between gear shifting on acceleration (power/no power/power/no power/power/no power...then easing on the gas would bring it to smooth running until the next shift), there is also pinging and knocking, fluctuating rpm at stop or stall at stop.
While in park the motor would not exceed 3,000 rpm. Rechecked the belt position, I felt the belt position on the front cam sprocket was a tooth forward, that adjustment was made; same problem. We ran computer diagnostics which showed a problem with the CPS. We replaced that.
My friend (after the 3rd test drive attempt) stated he thought the rear cam sprocket was off on the marks (he thought he had seen it before we made the next test drive. He may have said that but I did not hear that from him.
There was no real test drive the 3rd time; the car had no compression, it took 5-10 seconds, maybe longer, for the engine to gain RPM (it would not exceed 2,000 rpm). When in gear the car barely moved at all. I had to keep the pedal floored for 5-10 seconds before the car would move. When it did move it was at less than 1 mph.
I am reasonably confident the markings made on the new belt which had been taken from the markings made on the old belt (before it was removed) were correct.
I have no idea of what the procedure is to correct this.
Do I put the belt back on the mark we had it on the front sprocket originally then move the rear sprocket to match the mark where my friend thought it was off?
Do I need to say,"HELP! please