timing belt? alternator belt? serpentine belt?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 01:08 PM
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
timing belt? alternator belt? serpentine belt?

Whats up everyone ...Has anyone changed any of these belts? and if so how did you know it was time to change it. My 3g tl was making a squeeling or wheezing kind of sound when i turned on the ignition. i couldnt wait till monday to take it to acura dealer, so i took it to a local mechanic and all he did was added oil/grease, not sure what brand. as soon as he did that the noise stopped.

It did it again yesterday for a few seconds. I dont think its the timing belt, as far as my reaserch is going. its the belt that is exposed under the hood on your right hand side. please let me know if this has happened to anyone, and what was it. thanks.
Old 04-27-2009, 03:57 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
Need more details.. mileage? location of squealing?

Everything sounds like your drivebelt. When the car is turned off, open your hood and inspect the drive belt. Is there any tears? Then feel the teeth of the drivebelt. Are the teeth sharp or dull & flat? Check the housing of the alternator for belt smoot and then press your finger across the pulley teeth.. do they fell smooth?

Could be an assortment of things.. could also be your power steering but if you say he 'greased' it and it went away I think it's more than likely one of your pulleys. If it's your P/S it probably occurs when it's cold and related to the inlet o-ring sucking in air.
Old 04-27-2009, 05:43 PM
Pro

well it originally happened when i just turned my car on. car was still parked. i let the car warm up before i moved it. when i drove the car it was making a squeeling kind of sound. actually i hear alot of cars in the streets making this sound.

the mechanic put some grease and it stopped right away. he told me i would have to change the belt. not sure what the name of the belt is. its the one that is exposed.
Old 04-29-2009, 12:49 PM
Pro

alot of crazy things just happened. i just called acura and they told me $245. they must think im dumb, to change the serpentine belt. went to a local guy, he said 45 bux if i buy the belt. acura told me it takes and hour and a half..bs! this local guy tole me 15 minutes,

so i parked the car and cleaned some oil that was around the belt. i figured the oil came from the belt conditioner i put. seems that the oil was coming from the power steering resvoir. when i first opened up my hood last weekened i saw that the resevoir was hanging loose. and now that i looked at it, the thing was melted. seems that the oil was splashing onto the belt thats why that noise was happenening. so now i have to go buy a resevoir. do u guys suggest i change it myself or should i pay a mechanic?
Old 04-29-2009, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by el.profe
alot of crazy things just happened. i just called acura and they told me $245. they must think im dumb, to change the serpentine belt. went to a local guy, he said 45 bux if i buy the belt. acura told me it takes and hour and a half..bs! this local guy tole me 15 minutes,

so i parked the car and cleaned some oil that was around the belt. i figured the oil came from the belt conditioner i put. seems that the oil was coming from the power steering resvoir. when i first opened up my hood last weekened i saw that the resevoir was hanging loose. and now that i looked at it, the thing was melted. seems that the oil was splashing onto the belt thats why that noise was happenening. so now i have to go buy a resevoir. do u guys suggest i change it myself or should i pay a mechanic?
wtf.. did you have the p/s hose recall done?? The P/S is the first in priority.. then the belt.

Belt is a no brainer.. it doesn't take 1.5 hrs. Get the hose recall done at Acura if you haven't and they should pay for any damage that occurred like new reservoir and belt.

Go to this link and enter your VIN to see if the recalls have been done yet:

http://owners.acura.com/Maintenance/Recalls.aspx
Old 04-29-2009, 01:02 PM
Pro

no.no.no...it wasnt the hose. it was the reservoire. you know theres a latch the the reservoir hooks on to. it seems as if the last mechanic which was acura changed the power steering liquid they forgot to hook the reservoir back up...so the serpentine belt was rubbing against the tank and the friction made a hole on the tank..
Old 04-29-2009, 02:08 PM

no.no.no...it wasnt the hose. it was the reservoire. you know theres a latch the the reservoir hooks on to. it seems as if the last mechanic which was acura changed the power steering liquid they forgot to hook the reservoir back up...so the serpentine belt was rubbing against the tank and the friction made a hole on the tank..

Yeah I understand but there should be no reason for the reservoir to pop loose like that. Who was the last to touch your P/S?
Old 04-29-2009, 02:15 PM
Pro

the acura dealer...they were fixing my power steering
Old 04-29-2009, 02:20 PM

I would complain to them about what happened and really press them to repair & replace the reservoir for free. If not then go to acuraoemparts.com or rockauto.com. It's easy to replace.
Old 04-29-2009, 05:47 PM
Pro

thanks alot bro..i appreciate all your help. i will be first in line tomorrow at the acura service 630 am..

i was about to start another thread about the clank sound when changing gears from park to drive and vice versa. but then i read that other thread that some else just started. btw.. do u change gears one at a time or direclty to the other gear.. for example instead of going from p, then to N then to D, just go straight from P to D? How about using the Ebrake even when not on an incline only but all the time, that usually does the trick for that sound

Originally Posted by Majofo
I would complain to them about what happened and really press them to repair & replace the reservoir for free. If not then go to acuraoemparts.com or rockauto.com. It's easy to replace.
Old 04-29-2009, 09:10 PM

thanks alot bro..i appreciate all your help. i will be first in line tomorrow at the acura service 630 am..

i was about to start another thread about the clank sound when changing gears from park to drive and vice versa. but then i read that other thread that some else just started. btw.. do u change gears one at a time or direclty to the other gear.. for example instead of going from p, then to N then to D, just go straight from P to D? How about using the Ebrake even when not on an incline only but all the time, that usually does the trick for that sound
I have a bad habit of dropping the ebrake before changing gear except when hitting reverse / drive on a decline / incline. I still cringe when I hear the pawl bar knock / clank but I always go directly into gear. Just apply the ebrake firmly before dropping into D / R and you should notice a drastic difference. I hope it works out for you at the dealership.. be professional with them but be firm with your demands. It could have been dangerous to you if the damage progressed and it's such a cheap fix that they shouldn't waste your time to nickel & diming you. If they say you need more work done to your TL.. decline and get back to us.
Old 04-30-2009, 08:50 AM
Pro

so i took the car to acura. they wil fix it a no cost. but i will have to leave the car overnight because they dont have the parts. i really dont like leaving my car overnight..i feel as if they are going to drive around on it. does anyone feel this way?
Old 04-30-2009, 08:54 AM

so i took the car to acura. they wil fix it a no cost. but i will have to leave the car overnight because they dont have the parts. i really dont like leaving my car overnight..i feel as if they are going to drive around on it. does anyone feel this way?
probably.. don't search for related threads on the topic.. ignorance is bliss.. lol.. some members have reported anywhere from 80 miles to 300 miles being put on the ODO.. there's even been some incidents / accidents that have occured but I'm sure they're just going to park your car on the lot safe & sound. The best safe check is to take down the mileage before dropping it off and then clearing one of your trip computers. I really wouldn't worry about it.. overnight's not a big deal. You could take the car and return it when they get the part if that makes you feel better. I wouldn't overnight my car unless they gave me a loaner.
Old 04-30-2009, 09:04 AM
Pro

lol.. the thing is that the oil reservoir is leaking..i dont want to risk it getting into the electricals..im just going to hope for the best...i live in nyc, the train system is not too bad..

i feel like they never have any parts there..everytime i take the car they have to order parts...

Originally Posted by Majofo
probably.. don't search for related threads on the topic.. ignorance is bliss.. lol.. some members have reported anywhere from 80 miles to 300 miles being put on the ODO.. there's even been some incidents / accidents that have occured but I'm sure they're just going to park your car on the lot safe & sound. The best safe check is to take down the mileage before dropping it off and then clearing one of your trip computers. I really wouldn't worry about it.. overnight's not a big deal. You could take the car and return it when they get the part if that makes you feel better. I wouldn't overnight my car unless they gave me a loaner.
Old 05-01-2009, 06:59 AM
Pro

so acura finished the job in one day . they got the pieces from a local acura dealer. picked it up at 530. so everytime i pick up the car from the mechanic i always get paranoid because when they fix something, i feel like they fu%k something else up. after driving a little, the car was vibrating , and it will like be smooth and then vibrate and make a slight jump. and i will continue. i stopped by burger king. not sure if my front tires where on top of the side walk because it was a narrow drive thru. when i was waiting, i was hearing the fan blow really fast and then stop. and it did this a few times when i pulled away from the drive thru, i didnt hear it again. this morning, there was just some vibration in the vehicle..

i really hope these are not big issues and its just me being paranoid..and if they are i hope its because of the serpentine belt is new, and it needs to get worn in.
Old 05-01-2009, 09:47 AM

wtf.. it's vibrating now.. [smooth - vibrate - jump].. holy fuck. Go somewhere else, if you brought it in 100% and now it's doing this.. find a reputable shop that specializes in Honda's & Acura's and have them check it out. You should also go to your local parts store like Autozone, etc.. and have them pull any codes from the car.

I hate to say it but it sounds like they're purposely messing with your car. It could be a coincidence but damn.. I would take it back to them and see what they say and how much.. then go to a reputable shop. There's so many members in the tristate area and in NYC.. PM some of them to get a recommendation. Good luck.. and get it looked at soon.
Old 05-01-2009, 12:29 PM
Pro

imma give it a few days... lets see what happens. my warranty is about to be up in two weeks.
Old 05-02-2009, 01:01 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hissing, wining sound when accelerating....

Well i have the same question what's the km/milage that the timing belt can take. I have 105000km on the car!!( some winter driving)
now when i press on the gas the car kinda'va wines, does this hissing sound from the timing belt side, and is not the power steering pump cuz they replaced the whole dam thin about 1.5 years ago!!
Old 05-02-2009, 02:48 PM
Pro

nah its the serpentine belt.. it only costs 20 bux..although its time that you change the timing belt. you should do both the same time.. if not do the serpentine belt first. its cheaper anyway..

Originally Posted by tolea
Well i have the same question what's the km/milage that the timing belt can take. I have 105000km on the car!!( some winter driving)
now when i press on the gas the car kinda'va wines, does this hissing sound from the timing belt side, and is not the power steering pump cuz they replaced the whole dam thin about 1.5 years ago!!
Old 05-03-2009, 07:38 PM
Pro

whats up fellas.. i joined this thread. can you please join it as well and tell me what you think- it speaks about vibration in the vehicle, mostly what im going through now. i made some posts-let me know if u guys agree or not

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/there-any-tls-out-there-without-driveline-vibration-724214/
Old 02-20-2020, 05:10 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It happened to me in my 1998 Acura TL a few years ago, the belt screamed for a while and when I kept driving, it broke after maybe 6 blocks.
So I had it towed to a shop in East Oakland, the guy said it would be $250 to change the serpentine belt, but if I wanted to make all 3 small belts new,
only $299 for all 3 as the main labor for pulling it for the one belt was practically the same labor for all 3 belts. So I did all 3.
I figure, might as well make my 180K miles car a little bit new +young in the parts that pull from the engine every single RPM of the car, all the time.
Old 02-20-2020, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by island driver
It happened to me in my 1998 Acura TL a few years ago, the belt screamed for a while and when I kept driving, it broke after maybe 6 blocks.
So I had it towed to a shop in East Oakland, the guy said it would be $250 to change the serpentine belt, but if I wanted to make all 3 small belts new,
only $299 for all 3 as the main labor for pulling it for the one belt was practically the same labor for all 3 belts. So I did all 3.
I figure, might as well make my 180K miles car a little bit new +young in the parts that pull from the engine every single RPM of the car, all the time.
Cheesus crust
You bumped an old ass thread

This thread is so old, new members reading this were probably sucking their mamas teet when it was created

And not even in the generation specific subforum
The 3G TL has one drivebelt for all accessories

I think 250 is way too much
But you need to remove the crank pulley on yours to swap belts
With the right tools, it's still a 5 minute job
That being said, not many have the right tools (big ass impact and bigger crack pulley socket)

So to charge you retail on the other two belts, labor inclusive
Could be worse, good decision

Old 02-20-2020, 06:26 PM

Heck, for 150 more they should have changed your timing belt too
Throw in another 100 for the water pump, tensioner, and idler.