Calgary Aziners

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 11:33 AM
Waaaaaaaaaa.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For sure man. Hopefully you get your car fixed before the snow sticks.... if not there's always that occasional dry stretch!

Thanks again - it's working like a charm.
Old 10-30-2010, 01:42 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Finally 16!!
Taking my drivers test at 1:00pm today (Saturday). I'll be sure to post and let you guys know how it went!
Old 10-30-2010, 01:45 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Nersh7
What sort of chip are you running or planning to run?

I'm jealous, I want the tein set up soo bad but will probably go with k sports for now. are you doing the full exhaust or just the test pipe for now.
Going to get a Hondata Reflash... Vtec kicks in at 4200-5800 depending on how much gas you give it. Also a lot more torque in the lower end.
Probably the christmas area I'll buy that.
Then a racing header + engine mounts in the spring.
Old 10-30-2010, 03:34 PM
Waaaaaaaaaa.

Originally Posted by Rocketright
Going to get a Hondata Reflash... Vtec kicks in at 4200-5800 depending on how much gas you give it. Also a lot more torque in the lower end.
Probably the christmas area I'll buy that.
Then a racing header + engine mounts in the spring.
And I'll still kick your ass in my TL Aha just playing. It'll be close though because I'll have an intake and headers by then.

Happy birthday! And good luck with your license. Give me a holler when you get your license and we can go for a ride!
Old 10-31-2010, 01:15 PM
I Drive Like A Dick 8≈

Received 79 Likes on 66 Posts
Finally 16!!
Taking my drivers test at 1:00pm today (Saturday). I'll be sure to post and let you guys know how it went!
Happy birthday yesterday! How did the test go?

Originally Posted by kooty-sentinel
And I'll still kick your ass in my TL Aha just playing. It'll be close though because I'll have an intake and headers by then.

Happy birthday! And good luck with your license. Give me a holler when you get your license and we can go for a ride!
Just you guys wait till I get back haha, I'd actually love to see how my car would do against your TL. You have a bigger engine and AWD, but I'm lighter and have a few more mods done. We will to find some back road and find out one day haha
Old 10-31-2010, 10:10 PM
Waaaaaaaaaa.

Happy birthday yesterday! How did the test go?

Just you guys wait till I get back haha, I'd actually love to see how my car would do against your TL. You have a bigger engine and AWD, but I'm lighter and have a few more mods done. We will to find some back road and find out one day haha
I have a feeling since he hasn't posted... the news wasn't good.

It would actually be a really interesting race once I get my intake installed tomorrow. Right now my powerband is slightly uneven... has some spots where the car doesn't feel like it's pulling as hard. Apparently with the intake it's gone so.
Old 11-01-2010, 12:46 AM
Intermediate

Haha no sorry was really busy, was up till 6am last night... Ugh was feeling a little sick today.

Anyways nope I passed! Only got 10 demerits, when ur allowed 75. Was going 38 in a 30 zone, then I realized it and slowed down.

I love driving with friends/alone.
I did a 0-100km/h test today, its way faster then when my friends are in the car thank god lol.

But yeah can't wait to race you with no passengers. I usually had you in 2nd-3rd gear but you got me in 4th.
Once I get winter tires on we will have to race again. We can now but I don't go over 160 in these tires... not balanced at all.
Old 11-01-2010, 12:55 AM
Waaaaaaaaaa.

Haha no sorry was really busy, was up till 6am last night... Ugh was feeling a little sick today.

Anyways nope I passed! Only got 10 demerits, when ur allowed 75. Was going 38 in a 30 zone, then I realized it and slowed down.

I love driving with friends/alone.
I did a 0-100km/h test today, its way faster then when my friends are in the car thank god lol.

But yeah can't wait to race you with no passengers. I usually had you in 2nd-3rd gear but you got me in 4th.
Once I get winter tires on we will have to race again. We can now but I don't go over 160 in these tires... not balanced at all.
Congratz

Pfft. I completely had you in 2nd and 3rd... but when I was in 4th you were pulling on me since I wasn't in my powerband. I guess only one way to find out. Get your ass over to Calgary.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:53 AM
Intermediate

Congratz

Pfft. I completely had you in 2nd and 3rd... but when I was in 4th you were pulling on me since I wasn't in my powerband. I guess only one way to find out. Get your ass over to Calgary.
Ohh thought it was the other way around.

Wanna meet up tonight or tomorrow night? Around 7? Somewhere by stoney trial.
Old 11-01-2010, 02:35 PM
Advanced

This is a long shot, saw a black 02 or 03 TL-S in NW Calgary today, driving east on country hills blvd near sarcee. They had some nice rims on the car, looked like 19's but not sure, trying to find out the size on those things lol
Old 11-01-2010, 02:45 PM
Waaaaaaaaaa.

Tonight I'm installing my intake so my car is going to be in bits. And tomorrow I'm volunteering at the food bank..... *queue laughs*. it was my S/O's idea... and you have no idea how nerve racking it is parking my brand new immaculate TL between some hobo's Neon and Mr & Mrs. We-Forgot-To-Use-Birth-Control*4's '91 Dodge Caravan.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:48 PM
Intermediate

Yeah may have to wait a week or two.. ugh kinda a crazy story, just happened four hours ago.

Me and my friend were on the highway, we thought it was 80, but cop tells us its 60.

Anyways we start racing, got up to 105 or so and then KA band. About 50% strength, So I knew he tapped it.

Got pulled over, was freaking out. Could've got 8 demerits, which means lose my license.

He let us off with NOTHING! Just called my mom, and called my friends parents.
Won't be able to drive for a bit, but way better than all the tickets and crap.

But holy shit I was so scared.
Old 11-01-2010, 06:30 PM
Cruising in my

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yeah may have to wait a week or two.. ugh kinda a crazy story, just happened four hours ago.

Me and my friend were on the highway, we thought it was 80, but cop tells us its 60.

Anyways we start racing, got up to 105 or so and then KA band. About 50% strength, So I knew he tapped it.

Got pulled over, was freaking out. Could've got 8 demerits, which means lose my license.

Lucky. I think everyone has at least one close call. Go easy man, cops love Stoney.
Old 11-01-2010, 06:35 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by eh? spec
Lucky. I think everyone has at least one close call. Go easy man, cops love Stoney.
Yeah I definitely will now, scared the crap out of me.
Old 11-01-2010, 11:06 PM
I Drive Like A Dick 8≈

Wow thats some good luck, I got caught racing once and it sucked.

Stoney is not a good place to race tons of cops
Old 11-01-2010, 11:09 PM
I Drive Like A Dick 8≈

Originally Posted by dannyellis2003
This is a long shot, saw a black 02 or 03 TL-S in NW Calgary today, driving east on country hills blvd near sarcee. They had some nice rims on the car, looked like 19's but not sure, trying to find out the size on those things lol
I don't think it was a member on here, search through the second gen TL picture section. There should be lots of examples of rims in plenty of sizes
Old 11-02-2010, 12:07 AM
Waaaaaaaaaa.

Holy fuck. Talk about bad luck eh? At least you got off with nothing... I could have swallowed paying the ticket but the demerits and racing.... ouch.

Just last week I was doing 170 down a back road going towards Drumheller. I saw lights coming towards me around a bend... then my Cobra started yelling KA but by the time I could react, the RC flicked on his cherries as soon as he passed me... but turned them off 2 seconds later. He was just warning me, but nonetheless my balls were up in my chest for the rest of the drive.

On another note... I got my intake installed.... OH MY GOD IT SOUNDS AMAZING. Not to mention my acceleration lag is completely gone.

Last edited by kooty-sentinel; 11-02-2010 at 12:10 AM.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:15 PM
Advanced

Yea getting tickets sucks but what can ya do. If you want to drive fast, you gotta accept the fact. I think I've had about 10 or so in the 7 years I've been driving. That first one really sucks but after a few you just accept it. Although I wasn't aware of the camera going over country hills on beddington until a few weeks ago (I never drive that way). And I saw a flash and was like shit, going about 80. So last week I get something in the mail and was like ah here's the ticket oh well... Open it up, its a picture of my Focus that I had just before my TL and I got a ticket in the EXACT same spot but never noticed the flash as it was in the middle of the day... so shitty but I think I can argue it because if you take the turn off from westbound country hills onto beddington, there is no sign saying 60 so anyone could assume its 80 if you never drive that road as beddington is 80 right after the lights... Either way, 172 dollars for the first one, probably a bit less for the second one coming up... I have to decide if its worth losing 300 dollars from not working most of the day to fight them or just pay them... ugh haha
Old 11-02-2010, 12:20 PM
Waaaaaaaaaa.

Yea getting tickets sucks but what can ya do. If you want to drive fast, you gotta accept the fact. I think I've had about 10 or so in the 7 years I've been driving. That first one really sucks but after a few you just accept it. Although I wasn't aware of the camera going over country hills on beddington until a few weeks ago (I never drive that way). And I saw a flash and was like shit, going about 80. So last week I get something in the mail and was like ah here's the ticket oh well... Open it up, its a picture of my Focus that I had just before my TL and I got a ticket in the EXACT same spot but never noticed the flash as it was in the middle of the day... so shitty but I think I can argue it because if you take the turn off from westbound country hills onto beddington, there is no sign saying 60 so anyone could assume its 80 if you never drive that road as beddington is 80 right after the lights... Either way, 172 dollars for the first one, probably a bit less for the second one coming up... I have to decide if its worth losing 300 dollars from not working most of the day to fight them or just pay them... ugh haha
I've had 4 photo radar tickets in the last 3 months. BEAT THAT haha.

Well I got my 9500ix now... so hopefully the bitch yelling "speedcam, ahead" will prompt me to slow down a tad.

The only thing I really worry about is actually getting pulled over. My insurance is already 5k a year.
Old 11-02-2010, 01:58 PM
Advanced

Lol you should look at a different insurance company. Well I guess it depends on your age too, how old are you? I have been pulled over I think 2 or 3 times in the last 3 years and had one accident about 5 or 6 years ago, so those are still on my record, and I pay 130 a month with full coverage...
Old 11-03-2010, 01:04 AM
I Drive Like A Dick 8≈

My luck has really picked up this last year for tickets, I probably haven't gotten one in over 8 months! But between 18 and 19 I managed to rack up over 15 demerits, the only reason I didn't lose my licence was because of a defensive driving course.

Danny what year TL are you driving, the fact that Kooty has a newer TL probably has something to do with a high insurance rate
Old 11-03-2010, 02:29 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I've had 4 photo radar tickets in the last 3 months. BEAT THAT haha.

Well I got my 9500ix now... so hopefully the bitch yelling "speedcam, ahead" will prompt me to slow down a tad.

The only thing I really worry about is actually getting pulled over. My insurance is already 5k a year.
Talk to Bill Eckhart at Diamond Insurance. http://www.diamondinsurance.ca/About.htm
He might be able to help with that
Old 11-03-2010, 09:00 AM
Advanced

My luck has really picked up this last year for tickets, I probably haven't gotten one in over 8 months! But between 18 and 19 I managed to rack up over 15 demerits, the only reason I didn't lose my licence was because of a defensive driving course.

Danny what year TL are you driving, the fact that Kooty has a newer TL probably has something to do with a high insurance rate
2003 TL-S, that is possible for sure yea. But thats a significant difference, 1550 what I pay compared to 5000. I do get a discount as any member of APEGGA (engineers and geologists group) gets a discount through TD, I just wouldn't think its that huge.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:06 AM
Advanced

Just did an online quote on a 2010 Acura TL AWD, full coverage, with my accident, 2 pulled over tickets, etc. I was quoted at 2000 dollars on the nose almost...
Old 11-03-2010, 11:57 AM
I Drive Like A Dick 8≈

hahaha well I definitely agree with you that he should switch then!

Nice car, any mods?
Old 11-03-2010, 12:18 PM
Advanced

Nah its completely stock at the moment, just got it about a month ago. Was my parents car (my mom mostly drove it) so I got a pretty good deal only 7500 for the car with 140K KM's on it. I'm really not sure if I want to do any mods to do, maybe some sound ones just cause. But even then, to put in a double din deck, I'll need to get the custom dash kit as well as worry about bypassing the stock amp for the subs (or so I have heard this is what you need to do).

As for performance mods, I'm torn, cause I wouldn't mind putting some things on it, but I also have mortgage payments and school debt to pay off so I think I should just worry about that for now lol.
Old 11-03-2010, 01:03 PM
I Drive Like A Dick 8≈

Not sure if you read through this whole thread but I work at visions and sell car audio...
Dash kit is 30 bucks wiring harness is 20, my CL doesn't have a stock sub but I'm pretty sure you don't need to bypass the amp if you do just a headunit. I didn't at least and won't be till I get my speaker amp in, its recommended because the bose system runs at 3 ohms and everything aftermarket runs at 4. The side effect of not bypassing it is a slight whine that comes from the speakers.

As for mods a great place to start would be CAI(Not ebay lol) or headers. If you have any questions we have the same car minus the manual transmission and extra pair of doors so I'm pretty familiar with what can be done and the gains of it all.

Oh one last question, hows the tranny holding up? Has it ever been replaced and how many times? If there is any sort of hesitation with the transmission the first mod I would save up for would be a newer TL or odyssey transmission.

Link
Old 11-03-2010, 01:07 PM
Waaaaaaaaaa.

Lol you should look at a different insurance company. Well I guess it depends on your age too, how old are you? I have been pulled over I think 2 or 3 times in the last 3 years and had one accident about 5 or 6 years ago, so those are still on my record, and I pay 130 a month with full coverage...
Just did an online quote on a 2010 Acura TL AWD, full coverage, with my accident, 2 pulled over tickets, etc. I was quoted at 2000 dollars on the nose almost...
19 years old, 0 incidents, and 0 demerits.... want to run the quote for me to see what I get? Everywhere I look... I'm paying around the 5k a year mark.
Old 11-03-2010, 01:12 PM
Waaaaaaaaaa.

OH. And no my parents don't pay for my car. So no assumptions.
Old 11-03-2010, 01:26 PM
Advanced

Not sure if you read through this whole thread but I work at visions and sell car audio...
Dash kit is 30 bucks wiring harness is 20, my CL doesn't have a stock sub but I'm pretty sure you don't need to bypass the amp if you do just a headunit. I didn't at least and won't be till I get my speaker amp in, its recommended because the bose system runs at 3 ohms and everything aftermarket runs at 4. The side effect of not bypassing it is a slight whine that comes from the speakers.

As for mods a great place to start would be CAI(Not ebay lol) or headers. If you have any questions we have the same car minus the manual transmission and extra pair of doors so I'm pretty familiar with what can be done and the gains of it all.

Oh one last question, hows the tranny holding up? Has it ever been replaced and how many times? If there is any sort of hesitation with the transmission the first mod I would save up for would be a newer TL or odyssey transmission.

Link
Yea I didnt want to read through 10 pages of posts so I kinda skimmed and looked at the last two. But what would be your estimated cost for installation if I did a HU, new sub and new amp for example?

Transmission is original, I started to feel a bit of shuddering a week ago so I decided to change the fluid, it came out pretty dark and I have done 2 drain and fills since and its shifting very smooth. So who knows, thats another thing I will be concerned about, is if that goes, the car is pretty much done to me. Not sure what I would go for for my next car, I've looked at so many. Volvo S60, 2008 TL, Lancer EVO 10, STI, and some more reliable lower end cars like a corolla, elantra, etc. But hopefully that isnt something I should be considering for a couple years!
Old 11-03-2010, 01:27 PM
Advanced

19 years old, 0 incidents, and 0 demerits.... want to run the quote for me to see what I get? Everywhere I look... I'm paying around the 5k a year mark.
Well if you go to university, you can get insurance through Meloche Monnex (part of TD), and I just did a quick quote, its around 3500 dollars for you. Also depends ( only a little) if you are financing your car or not (which I assumed you were).
Old 11-03-2010, 01:27 PM
I Drive Like A Dick 8≈

being 19 is a huge factor.

As soon as I turn 21 my insurance will drop dramatically
Old 11-03-2010, 01:32 PM
I Drive Like A Dick 8≈

Yea I didnt want to read through 10 pages of posts so I kinda skimmed and looked at the last two. But what would be your estimated cost for installation if I did a HU, new sub and new amp for example?

Transmission is original, I started to feel a bit of shuddering a week ago so I decided to change the fluid, it came out pretty dark and I have done 2 drain and fills since and its shifting very smooth. So who knows, thats another thing I will be concerned about, is if that goes, the car is pretty much done to me. Not sure what I would go for for my next car, I've looked at so many. Volvo S60, 2008 TL, Lancer EVO 10, STI, and some more reliable lower end cars like a corolla, elantra, etc. But hopefully that isnt something I should be considering for a couple years!
I don't blame you lol, do you already have gear or have something in mind? send me a PM of what you have planned for the time being and I'll let you know how much it would be, If you don't have any gear let me know what your looking at/ want.

The new 4 door WRX STI are pure sex That would be my choice.

I'm so happy they brought back the STI as a sedan
Old 11-03-2010, 01:46 PM
Waaaaaaaaaa.

Well if you go to university, you can get insurance through Meloche Monnex (part of TD), and I just did a quick quote, its around 3500 dollars for you. Also depends ( only a little) if you are financing your car or not (which I assumed you were).
Yeah I'm financing. But I don't go to university... I'm a full time IT Security Consultant. Would I still be able to get a similar rate? Also I'm married (that dropped my insurance from 5.6k to 4.8k on my current policy).

being 19 is a huge factor.

As soon as I turn 21 my insurance will drop dramatically
I heard that the magic number was 25... will I see a drop when I'm 21 as well?

On another note... I found a Canada Post notice in my mail today.... it's like Christmas everyday! I think it's my 6000k HID kit!
Old 11-03-2010, 02:17 PM
Advanced

You can try, search for meloche monnex, it will come up. You can call them and ask, and not sure about the married part as my status is still legally single for now haha.

As for ages, there are drops for alot of years, 21 is one, 25 is bigger, then only clean records keep your insurance down. But there might be a 23 one as well, cause when I renewed this year, it was a bit of a drop as well even though I had 2 speeding tickets but meh. Who are you with now?
Old 11-03-2010, 04:04 PM
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts
Hey all,

Just got my '04 TL and am looking to start making it MINE. Starting with tint and lights. Anyways, Not at all stoked on the weather here eating away at my new baby

Any plans for a Calgary meet?
Old 11-03-2010, 07:40 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Alex.Leslie
Hey all,

Just got my '04 TL and am looking to start making it MINE. Starting with tint and lights. Anyways, Not at all stoked on the weather here eating away at my new baby

Any plans for a Calgary meet?
I'm down whenever. Well actually I work tomorrow and friday and saturday.
Saturday at 7 or so I could do.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:32 AM
Waaaaaaaaaa.

I'm down whenever. Well actually I work tomorrow and friday and saturday.
Saturday at 7 or so I could do.
Saturday at 7 I could do as well.

No tickets though aiite?
Old 11-04-2010, 04:32 PM
Intermediate

Wow, definitely think we need a cruise before the snow flys. Kooty, your insurance will drop big time once you turn 25. Also, being a home owner gets you a big drop, and having multiple policies. I have my home insurance as well as my 05 CR-V (full collision) and 03 TL-S (full collision) with the same company. I'm only paying about $120/month for my TL insurance.

I'm with Wawanesa insurance. Thats because they are really good to younger drivers. I'm only 24, but they give me the 25 yr old discount, pretend I have no speeding tickets (I usually get 2 a year) and all around treat me exceptionally well. Maybe worth looking into?

Did you take drivers ed? thats another big discount.

Where at on Saturday night?
Old 11-04-2010, 10:32 PM
Waaaaaaaaaa.

Originally Posted by Drewflemmer
Wow, definitely think we need a cruise before the snow flys. Kooty, your insurance will drop big time once you turn 25. Also, being a home owner gets you a big drop, and having multiple policies. I have my home insurance as well as my 05 CR-V (full collision) and 03 TL-S (full collision) with the same company. I'm only paying about $120/month for my TL insurance.

I'm with Wawanesa insurance. Thats because they are really good to younger drivers. I'm only 24, but they give me the 25 yr old discount, pretend I have no speeding tickets (I usually get 2 a year) and all around treat me exceptionally well. Maybe worth looking into?

Did you take drivers ed? thats another big discount.

Where at on Saturday night?
Sounds like a plan - 7PM Sat... meet near Heritage?

I go through Bow Valley Insurance on Horton Rd. - they deal with Wawanesa as well, and they cheapest quote was with Intact Insurance.

There ARE some stupid young drivers out there I'll admit. But painting us with the same brush is plain wrong. When you're driving a 53k car that your paying for yourself, you drive cautious. Not to mention I have a kid on the way in December.

I might consider Drivers Ed sometime next year. Rather spend that money on my car TBH though :P

Quick Reply: Calgary Aziners