Any Dallas area meets? - July 22 (Thread Retired)

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2001, 09:04 PM
Random Flasher!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Ruf,
Thats what they said they were going to do the first time, which i dont think they ever did, but i am almost positive that they did it the second time cause they told me they were going to unplug that thing again, and i said they had already told me they were going to do that. It has not help. I'm supposed to take it in again, whenever i get a chance. But Thank you for you help. And yes they do give you a rental car when you take your car in, i think you do have to tell them that you need one. The only thing is, everytime, they put me in a crappy enterprise rental. the second time, i asked the service advisor who is my good friend now cause i see him all the time hehe, to give me one of the integras cause they are alittle nicer, but that never happened. I told him i didnt want to seem picky but, those e cars are dangerous, at least the two i got, and i have to drive to fort worth in them.
Old 10-28-2001, 09:07 PM
Random Flasher!

haha, i probably got the same cavalier the first time, how funny, was it red, and the ac did not work? the second time i got a grand am, that smelt so terrible and whenever WOT, hehe, the car jerked to the right, almost making me hit the curb really bad. i want to drive an RSX as a loaner hehe, or you know i would settle for a NSX
Old 10-28-2001, 09:11 PM
Lead Footed

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally posted by Hanzie
wow then, cause my girlfriend sarah, err typesfrog dad has a 1999 covertible vette, which by the way he is selling. I drive that alot, of course cause its fun and fast as hell. So, i know that those are really quick, and i didnt think our cars would hang like that. Now i'm not saying ruf is lying, im just surprised, i think i will try to race a vette, (and get my ass handed to me)hehe jk. Well congrats Ruf, good job on almost beating the vette.

There could be lots of reasons why I was able to not let the Vette blow me away. We'll never know unless we find the guy again. He may really run it up much and two things could be working against him. His engine is tight because he didn't frequently take it to redline and or he has 30Kplus miles on it and because he doesn't run it up he has lots of carbon build up on his plugs, and so on and so on.

I have to admit that I was expecting him to just walk away and at first I really wasn't planning on going all out. But after 80-90 and being only a car length behind, I decided to see how far he would push it. 115 and traffic was enough.

Also keep in mind that we didn't start from a dead stop. And the fact that I jumped on him I was right in our cars sweet spot, 54-5500RPM. Max overall power for our engine. He may have been out of his and once someone is there with you, you really need lots of power to really walk away from someone.

You'll have to trust me on this as I've been doing this type of racing for 25 years. Even with my old badass 64 Malibu SS that would rip your hands from the steering wheel and put a little bit of daylight under the front tires. Meaning I could just barely pull the left front tire off the ground. That's POWER. Anyway, I could whip my 84 Z28 HO and not even blink, but if I was't in my powerband right away, my little brother could hang with me for a little be before I would blow his doors off. Now the point is that there was a great difference in HP between my 64SS and the 84HO than there is between the Vette and our S-Types. So it is possible for us to hang with them under the right circumstance.

Here's a test to see if this is true with the Vette and our cars. See if TypeSFrog's dad will race you 3 different ways. Once from a 30MPH punch. once from a 40MPH punch and once from a 50MPH punch. Then note how much difference there is in how quickly he pulls away from you. You could also try him at 80 or 90 and see how that works.

Then again, I could be lucky and just have a fast one. We can prove that thought the next time we meet.

Anyway - I was really just as surprised at the outcome as Mantis was. Even though I lost, it was only about 1 car length or so in the end.

RUF
Old 10-28-2001, 09:15 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Heh, I don't even know what color it was. As soon as the guy said
"I think we have a Cavalier for you." I was like
"Umm, do you have anything a little better?"
And he said Yeah, sure.

I guess he thought he could give me anything he wanted since I look young.

When I take my car in to get new transmission, I think I'll demand a NSX since I had to wait so long. If they don't give it to me, I'll threaten to sit there and whine like a 5 year old till they do.
Old 10-28-2001, 09:51 PM
Random Flasher!

Ruf,
I do believe you totally, i was just really surprised thats all. Mantis, definitely demand a better car, thats what i'm gonna do for sure. I think they are just screwing with me cause they know i'm only 21 BASTARDS!!

Jeff
Old 10-28-2001, 10:05 PM
Instructor

well, at least you're 21..
i'm only 19... so they can give me that crap about how they're not supposed to give it to people under 21 and stuff.. argh
Old 10-28-2001, 11:31 PM
Random Flasher!

actually, enterprise rents to 18 and up, they are the only ones who do though
Old 10-29-2001, 08:31 AM
Banned

Sorry I missed the meet all. Reasons are too numerous to mention.

Looks like you all had some fun and had a great race to end it.

mantis - everytime I take my car into McDavid for service they give me atleast an Integra as a loaner. I wish they would give me something a little bigger, but oh well

Hopefully I will be able to make the next one
Old 10-29-2001, 09:43 AM
Instructor

mantis, last time i went in i got a 2000 SAAB 9-5 wagon. thats like a $50k station wagon. turbo charged.... pretty nice actually. you should ask for that one.
Old 10-29-2001, 10:08 AM
SHIFT_god

hey mantis, where did you get planoTLS's pics........ are they posted on the TL forums, or did he just email them?
Old 10-29-2001, 10:30 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Sorry things didn't work out AvengerJr. But I hope to see ya at the next one man.

I'd take either one of those (Acura Integra, or 2000 Saab).

Eman / AvengerJr - Did they have huge stickers on the car that quoted:

LOANER CAR - LOOK AT ME EVERYONE, I'M IN A LOANER CAR!

If thats the case, they can keep it. :P
Old 10-29-2001, 10:38 AM
Banned

but of course they did mantis!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :p

they suck...but are better than nothing
Old 10-29-2001, 10:54 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by CasperTL
hey mantis, where did you get planoTLS's pics........ are they posted on the TL forums, or did he just email them?
PlanoTLS emailed them to me, and I put them on my server since I have a pretty decent one (that won't shut down like geocities after it has dished out too much bandwidth).

He is working on posting them on the TL board as I type this message.
Old 10-29-2001, 10:56 AM
Moderator Alumnus

they suck...but are better than nothing
True, Very True..

I _could_ break out my 91 Mazda Protege which I plan on making a 13 second car. Too bad the tags are out, and its FAR, FAR away from being a 13 sec car. Its more like a 13 min car right now.
Old 10-29-2001, 02:45 PM
Instructor

your protege seems like previous car- 4cyl camry
its a 13second car all right.. 0-60, not the 1/4

too bad its still sitting in the shop, nearly 3 months after i got hit on the highway.. that insurance company deserves a lawsuit, but i'll be nice and let them off easy.. the body shop apparently charges $15 a day for storage, and as long as they make me wait, they'll get to pay the price
Old 10-29-2001, 06:04 PM
Instructor

the SAAB has no stivkers on it at all...

got the exhaust on today. definitely alot throatier of a sound. still trying to figure out if i like them. might be selling soon if i decide they are not for me. would anyone be interested?
Old 10-29-2001, 06:24 PM
Moderator Alumnus

got the exhaust on today. definitely alot throatier of a sound. still trying to figure out if i like them. might be selling soon if i decide they are not for me. would anyone be interested?
I have exhaust on my Mazda Protege. I was happier when I got the quieter CL. If I want loud, then I'll hop in that.
Old 10-29-2001, 10:43 PM
SHIFT_god

Mantis, i totally agree. I am an unfortunate owner of a 99 Mazda Protege. The truth is that the TL is my father's, but I appreciate it a hell of a lot more than he does. I've lurked on the forums for a while with the help of DuckBlue. I have always enjoyed the TL tremendously and after spending an AWESOME day with it and with DuckBlue and his TL-S and workin on them both and racing them............ I HAVE TO OWN ONE MYSELF. Now is the best time to get a new car obviously but unfortunately at the same time. I've talked to DuckBlue a bit about where to get one, but I think my best bet would be to get a CL. For MY budget. I was wondering if you all could recomend the BEST place in the DFW metroplex to get one........ leanin towards Arlington seein as how DuckBlue got a ton of accessories free..................

Please let me know..... and thanx
Old 10-30-2001, 04:42 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Hmm, I can't comment on the other Dealerships in the area(I've only been to DMD). Sounds like Duckblue is the best source so far for that info since he has been to all of them.

Heh, Protege POWER! Basically the rest of my immediate family in the Metroplex owns a protege as a first or second car.

Dad - 92
Both Sisters - Both 94s
Aunt - 93
Brother In Law - 96
Me - 91

That is 6 Proteges to many.
My dad tried to break the bad habit with a 2001 Millenium, but its still a mazda for crying out loud.

In due time you'll be rollin' in a CL/TL. Then it'll be all good.
Old 10-30-2001, 08:28 AM
SHIFT_god

I guess you're right.........plus, i have a choice of 2 TL's to roll in when i get the vehicle. haha.

Unfortunately, my father is truely the only one to own an import car of any sort. The rest of MY immediate family own Chevys and Fords. I will HAVE to own a CL or TL next. NO QUESTION ABOUT IT.

thanx
Old 10-30-2001, 08:35 PM
Advanced

CasperTL:
don't overlook Mac Churchill in Ft. Worth. They got me the best price in the Metroplex last June with a no hassle offer.
Old 11-01-2001, 12:53 PM
Instructor

new to the forum, in dallas

hey, i've got a 97 3.0 CL runnin a hundred shot NOS and a few other mods, where yall guys meetin next? anyone wanna sell me some headers?
Old 11-01-2001, 12:56 PM
Random Flasher!

How do you like the nitrous??? Are you having any problems with the tranny holding up?? Is it a wet shot or dry??
Old 11-01-2001, 01:03 PM
Instructor

runs great so far. it's a dry shot ran close to the throttle body. engine sounds good, tranny is holdin up. eat mustang GTs and run with Z28's. so gfar just the nos kit, 2.5" piping all the way through, focuz muffler (looks REALLY nice, not ricey either), and some generic air intake. sounds deep and throaty. i like it. about to get pulleys and v-afc or headers, pulleys and V-AFC together might help almost as much as the header and be a little cheaper.
Old 11-01-2001, 01:33 PM
Random Flasher!

sounds really nice. Someday, i will have mods done, hehe. As you can probably tell we just met together the other weekend. I'm hoping to meet again soon, but i don't know what everybody else wants to do. You know, if you change it to a wet shot, you'd probaby most likely beat to z28's. I've had little experience with nitrous, and found out that wet shot gives you alittle more power, and depending on how you look at it, can be alittle safer if you know what you're doing. My friend had a 99 integra gsr, with a wet shot, but he didnt know what he was doing. He changed the pills out, thinking he was lowering the shot amount, but instead raised it to like a 200 shot and completely blew up his motor, and the funny thing is he did it right in front of David Mcdavid acura
Old 11-01-2001, 03:43 PM
Instructor

Comptech Exhaust

Ok guys, I think I am happy with my exhaust now. At first it seemed a little too loud for my liking, but I think it has grown on me. It is defintiely loader from inside the car than outside. I think because in the car you feel more of the bass because the exhaust runs right underneath the backseat and trunk area. Whenever you guys want to meet lets do it again....
Old 11-01-2001, 03:50 PM
Random Flasher!

Hey eman, so does the exhaust drone that bad inside the car??
Old 11-01-2001, 04:30 PM
Instructor

its really not that bad. but since our exhaust is so quiet to begin with everything sounds loud compared to stock.
Old 11-01-2001, 10:44 PM
Random Flasher!

is anybody having problems posting on the website?
Old 11-01-2001, 10:47 PM
1st Gear

Hey guys, I got a question. What is the best way to get scuffmarks off the place where the door meets the bottom of the car? I seem to run my foot along it when I get into the car and since it is Pearl is shows up very well?
Old 11-03-2001, 09:14 PM
Lead Footed

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally posted by TypeSFrog
Hey guys, I got a question. What is the best way to get scuffmarks off the place where the door meets the bottom of the car? I seem to run my foot along it when I get into the car and since it is Pearl is shows up very well?
Since I have a DWP I have the same problem. Especially when it black shoes.

I've have good luck just using a finishing wax and a little bit of elbow grease.

RUF
Old 11-04-2001, 04:44 PM
1st Gear

Thanks! What kind did you use?
Old 11-05-2001, 08:42 PM
Moderator Alumnus

I have the same problem with scuff marks on SSM. I generally ues Pinnacle Wax to buff it out. But tons of elbow grease and a little water should solve the problem.

Ohh yeah, about the next meet (whenever we have it) I'll probably be in a PoS Buick LeSabre. I don't expect my car back for at least a month and a half.
Old 11-06-2001, 10:57 PM
Random Flasher!

Hey does anyone know of that guy in plano to buy the Zaino's cleaner stuff. I want to buy some of that, but i thought someone in the group has a number or something of a guy in plano that sells that stuff???
Old 11-07-2001, 02:17 PM
Instructor

hanzie,
call the number on the zaino site and they can give you the number to the distributor here in town. i will also look for it when i get back home.
Old 11-07-2001, 03:07 PM
Random Flasher!

cool, thanks
Old 11-07-2001, 04:33 PM
Moderator Alumnus

I GOT MY CAR BACK!!!!

Only three days without her, and she drives good as new!

I'm ready for the next meet whenever ya'll are!

--Aaron
Old 11-07-2001, 04:47 PM
Instructor

wow.. thats pretty fast huh? i thought you had expected it to be a month or so..

well, i'm ready for the next meet as well.. i found a local store in plano that sells Zaino, so i think i'll give it a try sometime
Old 11-07-2001, 04:54 PM
Instructor

wow.. thats pretty fast huh? i thought you had expected it to be a month or so..

well, i'm ready for the next meet as well.. and i gotta give zaino a try sometime..

its on plano parkway, to the east of 75
go past the "race track" gas station, and its like the 2nd building on your left, looks like part of a small office complex

The Horsepower Store
(972) 423-0190
811 E. Plano Parkway, Suite 121
Plano, TX 75074

I went by 2 weeks ago, and surprisingly, they sold out!! claims some guy went in the day before and bought $300 worth

their website doesnt say anything about zaino, but if you still wanna take a look.. www.thehorsepowerstore.com
they do mostly american cars.. corvette, camaro, mustang.. and they're VERY shiny.. there's 2 corvettes parked out front, and you can see that huge trailer thingy too

(i missed the 5 minute mark to submit my "edit" for the message so i just copy/pasted what i would have posted in the edit)
Old 11-07-2001, 04:56 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Believe me, I did expect about a month after I turned her over... but keeping in mind, I had taken it in about 1 month ago and put a ticket in for a new tranny. I wanted to drive her as long as I could until I couldn't take it anymore. Well, three days after I turn her in, my car is ready.

I'm just as amazed as you are. I thought Neil (Service Rep) was BSing me when he called. I told him like 20 times "Yer kiddin' me!"

I didn't want to go right back to work so I drove her around for about an hour. Ohh baby, does it feel good.

Quick Reply: Any Dallas area meets? - July 22 (Thread Retired)