Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

Zune or Ipod

Old 12-30-2010 | 02:25 PM
Team Owner

Zune or Ipod

Hey Guys

I need some advice, my Ipod Touch broke so now I am in the market for a new Mp3. I want 4Gig+

I'm looking into Zune or Ipod, and I have some questions

-Which do you own Zune or Ipod

-Does Zune have a music library like Itunes

- Pros and Cons on the item

TIA

-Kevin
Old 12-30-2010 | 02:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

I have a Zune and love it. Yes, it has a music library just like iTunes. If you're comparing Zune HD vs. iPod Touch, Zune is a better music player but iPod Touch has apps.
Old 12-30-2010 | 02:38 PM
The Third Ball

Zune? Whats that?
Old 12-30-2010 | 02:40 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Zune has a comparable Music store. I can find everything I'm looking for in the marketplace.

Question is if you want the device solely for music than the Zune is definitely better i you want apps, email, video calls, etc then get the iPod Touch.

I have an iPhone 4 and I use my ZuneHD everyday for music, it's a better experience than iOS.
Old 12-30-2010 | 02:41 PM
Team Owner

yea I'm not really going for Apps since I already had the touch and it broke. I just wondered how Zune was never heard anyone talk about it.
Old 12-30-2010 | 02:45 PM
Not Registered

Stunna's original thread

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...highlight=zune
Old 12-30-2010 | 02:49 PM
Three Wheelin'

The other thing against Zune is it doesn't have a lot of 3rd party support. So you don't have a lot of 3rd party accessories and no in-car integration.
Old 12-30-2010 | 02:50 PM
Team Owner

^ I just use USB's in my car so I'm okay with that.

I like the Zune headphones sort of there actually in Ear ones the Ipod ones I can never keep in my ear when I'm working out LOL
Old 12-30-2010 | 02:51 PM
Sanest Florida Man

If you really like music then look into getting the Zune Pass. It's $15/mo and it allows you to download every song on the Marketplace at no extra charge and you get to also download 10 songs to keep every month. So it's like buying 10 songs a month and for $5 more you get access the entire marketplace. It's a great way to try out new music without listening to it. Also with the Zune pass you can stream any song from the marketplace from the Zune.net website and you can stream music to your Xbox 360 and you can stream directly to your Zune device if it's connected to wifi.

These are all capabilities that iTunes/iPod doesn't offer.

Last edited by #1 STUNNA; 12-30-2010 at 02:55 PM.
Old 12-30-2010 | 02:53 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Originally Posted by Flipster23
^ I just use USB's in my car so I'm okay with that.

I like the Zune headphones sort of there actually in Ear ones the Ipod ones I can never keep in my ear when I'm working out LOL
Actually the ZuneHD comes with similar headphones like the iPod though they do offer premium in ear headphones that are $40. The premium ones came with the Zune 80 which I had and I still use those today. I think they're great!
Old 12-30-2010 | 02:53 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by #1 STUNNA
If you really like music then look into getting the Zune Pass. It's $15/mo and it allows you to download every song on the Marketplace at no extra charge and you get to also download 10 songs to keep every month. It's a great way to try out new music without listening to it. Also with the Zune pass you can stream any song from the marketplace from the Zune.net website and you can stream music to your Xbox 360.

These are all capabilities that iTunes/iPod doesn't offer.
good to know I will look into it.

I'm just pissed that my computer crashed and now all my music is gone so now I have to restart
Old 12-30-2010 | 02:56 PM
Sanest Florida Man

How did it crash? Your date may still be recoverable.
Old 12-30-2010 | 02:59 PM
Team Owner

I'm not sure i'm thinking its a bad power supply I made a thread on it and thats what most where saying but I just have not had anytime to deal with it since Im at work in the day time and gym at night basically
Old 12-30-2010 | 03:00 PM
Banned

I'm an iPod fan. I hate Windows and EVERYTHING associated with it. The only Microsoft product I own is an XBOX.
Old 12-30-2010 | 03:01 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Then your data is fine. All your music is stored in your hard drive which you can take out with just a few screws and connect it to another computer and copy all your data over. I've done this many many times
Old 12-30-2010 | 03:01 PM
Banned

Zune wins when it comes to the audio, no question. But if you're looking for a bit more out of your experience, it's the Touch.
Old 12-30-2010 | 03:39 PM
nnInn

yea I'm not really going for Apps since I already had the touch and it broke. I just wondered how Zune was never heard anyone talk about it.
That should give you your answer right there.
Old 12-30-2010 | 03:50 PM

Damn, stunna already posted in here...
Old 12-30-2010 | 04:11 PM
I've got spurs...

Originally Posted by LasVegasTL
I'm an iPod fan. I hate Windows and EVERYTHING associated with it. The only Microsoft product I own is an XBOX.

Woah, what an insightful comment! I'm sure the OP can make his purchase with confidence now.

Hey Guys

I need some advice, my Ipod Touch broke so now I am in the market for a new Mp3. I want 4Gig+

I'm looking into Zune or Ipod, and I have some questions

-Which do you own Zune or Ipod

-Does Zune have a music library like Itunes

- Pros and Cons on the item

TIA

-Kevin
I've owned an ipod nano, a zune 80 and a zune HD.

The Zune HD is (in my opinion) by far the most sleek out of the three. The GUI/OS is great and I prefer the Zune software over itunes.

Like stated before though, it really comes down to what you want. If you just want a solid mp3 player I'd go with Zune. If it's apps and other miscellaneous items I'd pick an ipod touch.

Another thing to look at is which type of Zune you want. While the second gen Zunes aren't as pretty as the HD's, they are still good devices. You could get more storage than an HD for a much lower price. Also, keep in mind that a Zune HD2 is supposedly gonna be released at some point, and rumor has it that the first Zune HD will not move over to the new XNA 4.0. Meaning it won't have as many new apps and such.
Old 12-30-2010 | 04:19 PM
Go Giants

Do they still make Zunes?
Old 12-30-2010 | 04:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Whiskers
Do they still make Zunes?

Originally Posted by Lightus
Woah, what an insightful comment! I'm sure the OP can make his purchase with confidence now.
Microsoft is known for making an operating system and they can't even get that right so why would I want to buy their MP3 player is the point I was making. I've owned the same 30GB iPod Classic since 2005 and never had any problems with it. I've never owned a Zune so I don't know about their media library or the pros and cons for that matter. Is that enough insight for you?
Old 12-30-2010 | 04:28 PM
Safety Car

Just to throw a wrench into everything, if you want a dedicated player, what about anything Sansa? It doesn't have any store or marketplace or subscription, but they're cheap and effective.

The Clip+ even has a microSD slot, so you don't have to worry much about running out of space.

Everyone knows where my loyalties lie, so I thought I'd suggest another alternative.
Old 12-30-2010 | 04:42 PM
I've got spurs...

Microsoft is known for making an operating system and they can't even get that right so why would I want to buy their MP3 player is the point I was making. I've owned the same 30GB iPod Classic since 2005 and never had any problems with it. I've never owned a Zune so I don't know about their media library or the pros and cons for that matter. Is that enough insight for you?
Definitely an improvement. From what I've seen, ipods always manage to keep living. I've only heard of one dieing on someone, and that was because a dog chewed it up.

On the other hand, I've had my Zune 80 for three years and it has some problems. For some odd reason it keeps locking/unlocking the touch pad, which makes it very annoying to chance songs.

Originally Posted by Anachostic
Just to throw a wrench into everything, if you want a dedicated player, what about anything Sansa? It doesn't have any store or marketplace or subscription, but they're cheap and effective.

The Clip+ even has a microSD slot, so you don't have to worry much about running out of space.

Everyone knows where my loyalties lie, so I thought I'd suggest another alternative.
My brother has owned a few of them as a result of various parts breaking. He doesn't throw it around , but at the same rate he doesn't keep it in pristine condition either. Anyone else have experience with Sansa? It would be a nice cheap alternative if they are actually durable.
Old 12-30-2010 | 04:43 PM
Arriving Somewhere...

Clip+ is a great gym player. Zune HD is the best stand-alone player, and the Zune software is much better than iTunes. If you want an all-you-can-eat monthly music service, there is nothing even close to the combination of Zune HD + Zune Pass + Home Theater dock (which allows you to pass a digital signal to your receiver/processor's DACs). The new iPod Nano is weak. The iPod Touch is an amazing all-purpose device. If you are casual about your music and don't mind the bigger size, it's hard not to recommend it.
Old 12-30-2010 | 04:46 PM
Missing my

Your data is fine, and you can either transfer it from your old hard drive to a new one or upload your iPod songs onto iTunes on your new computer. I also have to say that iPod is going to be your best bet. Just to echo the other member who mentioned 3rd party support.
Old 12-30-2010 | 04:51 PM
Team Owner

By your logic people should never buy a car from any manufacturer because they all have had faults at making cars.

Every company excels in some areas, fail in others, improve in some along the way. To say that M$ is crap just because they are still working out the kinks in their OS time and time again is :ghey:

Let me ask you this, do you still use (don't care about purchasing/owning) MS word, excel, powerpoint, outlook or any of the items from the office suite or any other MS product? If so, you're a hypocrite.
Old 12-30-2010 | 04:52 PM
Team Owner

Zune's have come a long way since gen 1 from what I've heard. I certainly wouldn't throw it under the rug when considering getting a new player. However, because I use iTunes for everything, it wouldn't make sense logistically for me to get anything but an iPod.
Old 12-30-2010 | 04:59 PM
My Garage not

sansa clip+ is one of the best sounding cheap small music-only players out there. if you care about sound quality, the zune wins.

i've been wondering for a while, when u buy a microsoft windows 7 phone with the built-in zune is it the same as the standalone zune like how the iphone has an ipod built-in?
Old 12-30-2010 | 05:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sly Raskal
By your logic people should never buy a car from any manufacturer because they all have had faults at making cars.

Every company excels in some areas, fail in others, improve in some along the way. To say that M$ is crap just because they are still working out the kinks in their OS time and time again is :ghey:

Let me ask you this, do you still use (don't care about purchasing/owning) MS word, excel, powerpoint, outlook or any of the items from the office suite or any other MS product? If so, you're a hypocrite.
All car companies have their faults (this is unavoidable) so of course a smart buyer will go with a car company that has seemingly less faults than the rest. Microsoft's operating system is what put them on the map and it is terrible. I am forced to use ms office, powerpoint, and excel at work since the government got some kind of group discount to use Windows on all of their desktops. At home I don't use any of these programs so to answer your question I am not a hypocrite. Microsoft has sold 14 million Zune players total versus the 276 million iPods that Apple has sold. So I retract my previous statement that Microsoft is garbage. 14 million is very respectable. I just don't feel that their mp3 players are better than iPods.
Old 12-30-2010 | 06:43 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by wasupdog
sansa clip+ is one of the best sounding cheap small music-only players out there. if you care about sound quality, the zune wins.

i've been wondering for a while, when u buy a microsoft windows 7 phone with the built-in zune is it the same as the standalone zune like how the iphone has an ipod built-in?
The software is more or less the same. In the windows phone, you have a tile called music+videos on the Start page. When you go there, you have a panorama (horizontal scroll) page with a panel for the menu (music/videos/podcasts/radio/marketplace), a panel for history, and a panel for newly added.

The tile on the start screen shows a band photo animated similar to how the background animates in the Zune HD screensaver. Where the Zune uses the top border of the screen as a Back button, Windows Phones have a dedicated Back button. Everything else is the same as the Zune HD.
Old 12-30-2010 | 06:53 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by alex2364
The other thing against Zune is it doesn't have a lot of 3rd party support. So you don't have a lot of 3rd party accessories and no in-car integration.
There is a silver lining here, and that is because Zune stuff doesn't sell very well, it can always be found pretty cheaply. And Microsoft-branded accessories are very high quality. Once you have the basics like a dock and chargers, what more do you need? Do you really want a toilet paper dock? I have two Altec Lansing speaker/docks that pretty much go unused because i just play the music from the computer.

I believe Ford Sync works with Zune, but I use a Soundgate module and remote in my car to my Pioneer head unit. Works just fine.

Old 12-30-2010 | 09:32 PM
Suzuka Master

All car companies have their faults (this is unavoidable) so of course a smart buyer will go with a car company that has seemingly less faults than the rest. Microsoft's operating system is what put them on the map and it is terrible. I am forced to use ms office, powerpoint, and excel at work since the government got some kind of group discount to use Windows on all of their desktops. At home I don't use any of these programs so to answer your question I am not a hypocrite. Microsoft has sold 14 million Zune players total versus the 276 million iPods that Apple has sold. So I retract my previous statement that Microsoft is garbage. 14 million is very respectable. I just don't feel that their mp3 players are better than iPods.
Define what you mean by "better".
The zune has much better sound quality than any iPod. iPods have taken fidelity to a whole new low with their crap aac format and shit sound processor.

Sansa will play virtually any kind of music file out there including FLAC, ogg, vorbis, ect.

iPod has "apps" and looks prettier so what...

coming from someone who cares about what their music sounds like.
Old 12-30-2010 | 10:02 PM
Safety Car

Microsoft has sold 14 million Zune players total versus the 276 million iPods that Apple has sold. So I retract my previous statement that Microsoft is garbage. 14 million is very respectable. I just don't feel that their mp3 players are better than iPods.
14 million Zunes across 7 models sold in one country over 4 years
vs
276 million iPods across 58 models sold worldwide over 9 years

You're right. That is pretty respectable.
Old 12-30-2010 | 10:30 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Anachostic
There is a silver lining here, and that is because Zune stuff doesn't sell very well, it can always be found pretty cheaply. And Microsoft-branded accessories are very high quality. Once you have the basics like a dock and chargers, what more do you need? Do you really want a toilet paper dock? I have two Altec Lansing speaker/docks that pretty much go unused because i just play the music from the computer.

I believe Ford Sync works with Zune, but I use a Soundgate module and remote in my car to my Pioneer head unit. Works just fine.

Well, BMW (and 90% of auto manufacturers) only offer in-car integration for iPod, not Zune. And there is no way I'm going to add an aftermarket head unit with iDrive. So I can't play anything from Zune Pass in my car. Microsoft should have at least offered USB audio out with Zune.
Old 12-31-2010 | 01:10 AM
Team Owner

im going with zune

Im going to check some out this weekend at the stores I was looking online and I'm finding more and more with the zune

thanks guys
Old 12-31-2010 | 01:16 AM

Old 12-31-2010 | 01:18 AM
Team Owner

FYI in case you didn't know, you can also buy music from Amazon, their MP3 quality ain't bad at all. I believe they are at a bit rate of 256 kbps.
Old 12-31-2010 | 01:34 AM
Sanest Florida Man

^ yup! So is the Zune songs. sometimes Amazon has good deals on albums to that are cheaper so not a bad idea to check there.
Old 12-31-2010 | 07:27 AM
Banned

You feel wrong, as pretty much every tech website says that the audio is better than every iPod. Which is what is important in a DAP. My own ears tell me the same thing, even my Zune 30 has better audio than my iPhone 4 or my Nano 3G.

Also, Windows 7 called. It's a great OS.
Old 01-02-2011 | 04:22 AM
5th Gear

I have an ipod.

Quick Reply: Zune or Ipod