Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

Apple: iPhone News and Discussion Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 06:50 AM
Go Giants

Received 1,236 Likes on 825 Posts
And the new Ipod Touch
Old 10-15-2012, 09:14 AM
nnInn

Received 1,084 Likes on 646 Posts
Originally Posted by Chief F1 Fan
sure wish the 30 pin adapter would become available
I order the second day it was on their website, got it last week.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:15 AM
nnInn

Received 1,084 Likes on 646 Posts
Originally Posted by Whiskers
And the new Ipod Touch
Ordered one for my son's Christmas present, should ship first week of November.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:18 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,476 Likes on 3,779 Posts
Originally Posted by jupitersolo
I order the second day it was on their website, got it last week.

for you, I'm still waiting.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:23 PM
Go Giants

Picked up the 30 pin adapter today. Touch should be in store tomorrow.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:09 PM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
am waiting for apple to come out with yet another pin connector.....stacking on adapters for you folks
Old 10-15-2012, 03:44 PM
Go Giants

Originally Posted by swoosh
am waiting for apple to come out with yet another pin connector.....stacking on adapters for you folks
Part of me wants to beat you, the other part of me is kind of annoyed that I was excited when I "scored" one of the adapters that Apple made me have to get. But at one point someone said "Why do I need this USB thing when my serial port works just fine"
Old 10-15-2012, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Whiskers
Part of me wants to beat you, the other part of me is kind of annoyed that I was excited when I "scored" one of the adapters that Apple made me have to get. But at one point someone said "Why do I need this USB thing when my serial port works just fine"
well I charge my phone, my camera and my motoactv (use it as a watch) using 1 charger

I really started hating apple for changing connectors every 2-3 years....

i had the original iphone and got a docking station....when the 3Gs was launched they changed the connector amp rating so my docking station would play the music but not charge my 3gs....

then i got a bose sound dock for the 3Gs and not they again changed the connector now.....

i feel for people who made custom docks in their car (JPTL etc) coz now they cant dock a newer phone from the same manufacturer which looks the same, has no new features other than a newer connector....imagine Marriott ordering millions of adapters as they have placed an iphone docking station in every room of every hotel....

Last edited by swoosh; 10-15-2012 at 04:01 PM.
Old 10-15-2012, 04:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,948 Likes on 14,061 Posts
^ More money for Apple!
Old 10-16-2012, 06:04 AM
Go Giants

Got the new Touch for my son. Looks good.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:08 AM
Race Director

Received 1,544 Likes on 1,197 Posts
well I charge my phone, my camera and my motoactv (use it as a watch) using 1 charger

I really started hating apple for changing connectors every 2-3 years....

i had the original iphone and got a docking station....when the 3Gs was launched they changed the connector amp rating so my docking station would play the music but not charge my 3gs....

then i got a bose sound dock for the 3Gs and not they again changed the connector now.....

i feel for people who made custom docks in their car (JPTL etc) coz now they cant dock a newer phone from the same manufacturer which looks the same, has no new features other than a newer connector....imagine Marriott ordering millions of adapters as they have placed an iphone docking station in every room of every hotel....
Annoying....

Android users bitching about phones they don't even own I mean.
  • Micro USB is limited to USB 2. Lightning is not (although that's what it is now).
  • Micro USB isn't reversible. Lightning is.
  • Micro USB is bigger then Lightning.
  • The actual Lightning connector is stronger then mUSB.
Internally lightning takes up less then a third of what the 30 pin did. What do you want? We want smaller, more usable devices, yet bitch when the connectors change for the better? Please. It's part of evolving.

Yes, it does suck that the adapters are $30 a piece. $10 each and I don't think people would complain at all. But it's not a simple adapter either. Because of how robust Lightning can be, they had to put a decent amount of tech into the new adapters for it to work.
The following users liked this post:
Undying Dreams (10-17-2012)
Old 10-16-2012, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Maharajamd
Annoying....

Android users bitching about phones they don't even own I mean.
  • Micro USB is limited to USB 2. Lightning is not (although that's what it is now).
  • Micro USB isn't reversible. Lightning is.
  • Micro USB is bigger then Lightning.
  • The actual Lightning connector is stronger then mUSB.
Internally lightning takes up less then a third of what the 30 pin did. What do you want? We want smaller, more usable devices, yet bitch when the connectors change for the better? Please. It's part of evolving.

Yes, it does suck that the adapters are $30 a piece. $10 each and I don't think people would complain at all. But it's not a simple adapter either. Because of how robust Lightning can be, they had to put a decent amount of tech into the new adapters for it to work.
Yes its annoying, the common trait of Apple fans to get butt hurt....

I would love to be in a world where all laptops can get charged by the same power cord....where the same standards are being used (USB/MicroUSB/HDMI/etc)....but for some reason Apple does something different....

again am not taking the credit away from APPLE, am just stating as a consumer who has a phone/camera/GPS/Motoactv, I would like to carry 1 car charger or 1 charger at work and not 4 chargers....

Apple is a great innovator but it doesnt follow thro....the iphone when it came out in 2007 changed the world !!! heck i paid $600+tax for the 8GB version....but the iphone 5 has nothing new....panorama mode (Android has it, wifey has a APP on her iphone4 since a year now which does the same) or same retina display or turn by turn navigation or LTE....well all these technologies have been out since over 2 years....so what exactly did you get in your new iphone?

yes the new headphones are cool....i might get those
Old 10-16-2012, 10:35 AM
Race Director

Butt hurt? No man you're missing the point. The point is I don't go into the Android threads and talk shit. Because I don't own one.... Therefore I really have nothing valuable to say.

Do you even read tech sites or any benchmarks before you comment?
Undying Dreams (10-17-2012)
Old 10-16-2012, 10:47 AM
The Third Ball

Received 5,105 Likes on 2,708 Posts
swoosh...I get what you're saying but the 30pin dock connector has been around the better part of a decade.

So, yeah, it will suck for people who have to switch over, and once they have they'll stop complaining and probably wonder they moaned in the first place.

Would it be amazing if EVERY piece of technology had the exact same port to use the same charger...sure. But its doesn't. I have different cameras wtih different batteries and chargers, my jambox has another charger, my iPhone/ipad have their charger, my power tools have their own chargers...its just the way it is.

For me personally, sure the iphone brings in some features after the others...but they tend be implemented better, imo. I'm also getting a phone that still works the best inside the environment I use (apple, iCloud) and each phone/OS makes even better use of it.

And I personally think its still the cleanest and simplest OS for anyone to just pick up and use. I've played around a lot with other tablets and phones. And I just feel its convoluted. Sure a tech person like us can play around with it and figure it out. But give it to a 70 year old grandfather...I'll bet money he figures out and is comfortable with the iPhone over the others.

I dont slam Android or their phones...they just arent for me. I take that back...I will slam the note or whatever the tablet/phone hybrid thing is....dumbest fucking thing I've seen. I saw one dude with one...and the belt clip....looked ridiculous.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:54 AM

^^^Chad, well because you have NEVER owned an Android (I assume)....

I have owned an iphone for couple years....and just because you dont own a 2G doesnt mean you dont wander about that section of the forums....

and am not talking shit....am comparing 2 products....am trying to see is this product worth $200 plus 2 a year contract....

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2012/09...-galaxy-s-iii/
http://androidandme.com/2012/07/news...rassingly-bad/

again i love how apple OS flows and the ease of use and how the apps are stable and you get unbastardized OS updates.....but with all that given I have to say Iphone was a great phone but Samsung/Google products with Google now/NFC/Growing Play store just edges away....

since apple is a great innovator and "changes" the world (ipod/iphone) am waiting for apple to come out with a new product (I hear they are working on a new TV) and change the world again
Old 10-16-2012, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Sarlacc
swoosh...I get what you're saying but the 30pin dock connector has been around the better part of a decade.

So, yeah, it will suck for people who have to switch over, and once they have they'll stop complaining and probably wonder they moaned in the first place.

Would it be amazing if EVERY piece of technology had the exact same port to use the same charger...sure. But its doesn't. I have different cameras wtih different batteries and chargers, my jambox has another charger, my iPhone/ipad have their charger, my power tools have their own chargers...its just the way it is.

For me personally, sure the iphone brings in some features after the others...but they tend be implemented better, imo. I'm also getting a phone that still works the best inside the environment I use (apple, iCloud) and each phone/OS makes even better use of it.

And I personally think its still the cleanest and simplest OS for anyone to just pick up and use. I've played around a lot with other tablets and phones. And I just feel its convoluted. Sure a tech person like us can play around with it and figure it out. But give it to a 70 year old grandfather...I'll bet money he figures out and is comfortable with the iPhone over the others.

I dont slam Android or their phones...they just arent for me. I take that back...I will slam the note or whatever the tablet/phone hybrid thing is....dumbest fucking thing I've seen. I saw one dude with one...and the belt clip....looked ridiculous.
Sarlacc, this response is sooo well written man....I completely agree with you over the Cleanest and the Simplest OS....I remember Steve Jobs saying "if my mom cant open the box and use the product without a manual, am not gonna ship it out"

I have the Note....and honestly i love it....offers more real estate on the screen and I can do sooo much more on it....i sign pdf's, order's, approval's....i can practically open the document, sign it like really sign it and send it over....haha....now when i use my wifey's Iphone4, i feel how did i manage with a small phone for soooo long....

yeah its a little weird when you make a call, this thing is bigger than my face but i really love the "cool" factor....its not many times an Indian guy gets "damn that thing is huge" complement
Mizouse (10-16-2012)
Race Director

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6324/t...rmance-preview

*yawn*

Google Now... app
NFC...who cares? Have you even used it ONCE? If so, how and where?
Google Play edging away? Again who cares? If we both can't find what we need in app stores comprised of hundreds of thousands of apps then we are doing it wrong.

Next
The Third Ball

^^^Chad, well because you have NEVER owned an Android (I assume)....

I have owned an iphone for couple years....and just because you dont own a 2G doesnt mean you dont wander about that section of the forums....

and am not talking shit....am comparing 2 products....am trying to see is this product worth $200 plus 2 a year contract....

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2012/09...-galaxy-s-iii/
http://androidandme.com/2012/07/news...rassingly-bad/

again i love how apple OS flows and the ease of use and how the apps are stable and you get unbastardized OS updates.....but with all that given I have to say Iphone was a great phone but Samsung/Google products with Google now/NFC/Growing Play store just edges away....

since apple is a great innovator and "changes" the world (ipod/iphone) am waiting for apple to come out with a new product (I hear they are working on a new TV) and change the world again
Didnt say you were talking shit. I just said the theory of standards is great, but will just never happen when it comes to tech.

I would venture to say the lightning connector is fairly innovative. Maybe not "change the world" but read about how the connector works...its pretty cool and time will tell if people take advantage of that.

No, I dont own a droid. I have used several, and my inlaws both got the Galaxy S2 last weekend and I was sitting around helping them try and figure it out. As I mentioned, if you know tech you can figure it out. But its no where near as simple as the iOS. Especially for non tech people like my inlaws.

Also...who is Chad???

OHHH you were replying to Marahahahajajamama

Last edited by Sarlacc; 10-16-2012 at 11:02 AM.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:01 AM
The Third Ball

NFC has a lot of potential. I'm not dying for it, and I still question its security. But I see the usefulness it can bring.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:03 AM
The Third Ball

Sarlacc, this response is sooo well written man....I completely agree with you over the Cleanest and the Simplest OS....I remember Steve Jobs saying "if my mom cant open the box and use the product without a manual, am not gonna ship it out"

I have the Note....and honestly i love it....offers more real estate on the screen and I can do sooo much more on it....i sign pdf's, order's, approval's....i can practically open the document, sign it like really sign it and send it over....haha....now when i use my wifey's Iphone4, i feel how did i manage with a small phone for soooo long....

yeah its a little weird when you make a call, this thing is bigger than my face but i really love the "cool" factor....its not many times an Indian guy gets "damn that thing is huge" complement
Hey if you like it thats youre thing. Its just backwards thinking to me on the portability scale.

And at the huge comment
Old 10-16-2012, 11:08 AM
Nom Nom Nom Nom

Received 76 Likes on 50 Posts
But its no where near as simple as the iOS. Especially for non tech people like my inlaws.

On some things I would agree, but others I wish Apple would implement. Like going through setting after setting to turn wifi on/off, airplane on/off, ability to killl all "background" apps with the click of one button. That is all done in a pull down menu or widget of some sort on Android.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:08 AM

Didnt say you were talking shit. I just said the theory of standards is great, but will just never happen when it comes to tech.

I would venture to say the lightning connector is fairly innovative. Maybe not "change the world" but read about how the connector works...its pretty cool and time will tell if people take advantage of that.

No, I dont own a droid. I have used several, and my inlaws both got the Galaxy S2 last weekend and I was sitting around helping them try and figure it out. As I mentioned, if you know tech you can figure it out. But its no where near as simple as the iOS. Especially for non tech people like my inlaws.

Also...who is Chad???

hahah yup....was replying to Maharaja

you are one of the more "non ignorant" Apple fans I have met dude....thanks for not going off on me

and why the S2 dude? S3 is yummy....and yes if you main aim is to browse, make calls and text, Android is not for you....

as i mentioned i tend to sign pdf's, make my office docs on my phone, use handsfree voice to text and navigate etc and hence Android was perfect for my usage....

NFC has a lot of potential. I'm not dying for it, and I still question its security. But I see the usefulness it can bring.
NFC does have a lot of potential and potential for security risks but its something new and I am waiting to see how it works out....

Google NOW is feel is something you should kill for....but then again you are being tracked by google....it "learns" your day and when it see's you are leaving work for home, it will show you the trip details/accidents/constructions on your route home and suggest a detour....it does work quicker than Siri and is more "human" as i read in reviews....

either way i will read more about the apple connector....
Old 10-16-2012, 11:09 AM
Race Director

Sarlacc, people think the connector and adapters are stupid simple tech. They certainly are not. I agree, I think they those a connector to carry them to the future. But for now slapped usb 2 on it. If iFixIt has to do a teardown on an adapter, you have to know it's not just a simple adapter.

Anil. I've been in IT for a long time. Of course I've used a lot of Android devices.

NFC has potential. Somewhat. But certainly not now.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:11 AM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by SwervinCL
On some things I would agree, but others I wish Apple would implement. Like going through setting after setting to turn wifi on/off, airplane on/off, ability to killl all "background" apps with the click of one button. That is all done in a pull down menu or widget of some sort on Android.
I agree with this...I like how apple moved bluetooth to the main setting s page....but I wish they had added a button, and not made you select it and THEN on/off.

But in the "apple way" of thinking all that can be achieved in less than 3 clicks.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:14 AM
Race Director

Those options *should* be built into the Notifications dropdown. Like in SBSettings.

But then again if you start making too many of those kinds of changes you start making it "convoluted"...
Old 10-16-2012, 11:15 AM

Hey if you like it thats youre thing. Its just backwards thinking to me on the portability scale.

And at the huge comment
well if you see all phones are going bigger....i feel the size on the screen size on the note (5.1" diagonal) is just perfect....i feel between 4 3/4 and 5" is just perfect for 90% of the people....offers you more room on the screen and at the same time has the same portability....

now the note 2 which is coming out has a 5.5" screen and that i feel is an overkill but i would like to hold it and play with it before i say "it doesnt feel right"....

Originally Posted by SwervinCL
few of the things which i like about the Android....wifi/bluetooth/GPS/Airplane more/Power savings can be accessed from the drop down notification window....you can also turn the screen rotation on/off from there....

you can clear all your notifications with 1 button as well....so you dont have to go thro 20 groups of notifications to clear them all....

Sarlacc....forgot to mention this in my previous comment but Google Drive is the "icloud" for google devices....you can save anything to it....it constantly syncs it up and you can access those documents/pix from the laptop and change it and the changes will reflect on your phone
Old 10-16-2012, 11:17 AM

Received 2,811 Likes on 1,991 Posts
Oops too slow...

Last edited by Mizouse; 10-16-2012 at 11:18 AM. Reason: Poop
Old 10-16-2012, 11:19 AM
The Third Ball

you are one of the more "non ignorant" Apple fans I have met dude....thanks for not going off on me
People would certainly argue with you about this one...

My inlaws arent tech people....this is their first smart phone, and they needed new phones and didnt want to spend money, so they were free with extending their contract with t-mobile.

we looked at switching them to at&t with iphone 4's but the plan pricing was way more than they are spending now. So, it wasnt worth it.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:19 AM

Sarlacc, people think the connector and adapters are stupid simple tech. They certainly are not. I agree, I think they those a connector to carry them to the future. But for now slapped usb 2 on it. If iFixIt has to do a teardown on an adapter, you have to know it's not just a simple adapter.

Anil. I've been in IT for a long time. Of course I've used a lot of Android devices.

NFC has potential. Somewhat. But certainly not now.
funny how you think the new connector will carry you into the future and the new technology called NFC you dont care about....

def come across like the "if the phone drops signal, you are holding it wrong" crowd

Those options *should* be built into the Notifications dropdown. Like in SBSettings.

But then again if you start making too many of those kinds of changes you start making it "convoluted"...
well Apple did not have the notification bar at all....they picked it up from Android and but all means, technology should not be restricted to 1 manufacturer.....imagine what kind of world it would be if only Samsung made TV's and only whirlpool made washing machines.....
Old 10-16-2012, 11:24 AM
The Third Ball

Siri will keep improving, its still technically a beta...they just hired new bigwig to head up that end of the company.

Android is great for people who want to live in the google environment much like iOS is great for people who want to live in the Apple environment.

google drive and icloud do basically the same thing. and its current implementation is spot on. I change something on my phone...my ipad and computers automatically mirror the change.

integration with my apple tv is flawless.

I have nothing against google...but I do not like their "tracking" I like having the option to say no with iOS...maybe you do with google as well? I know you dont with gmail (my spam account)

People just need to look...they all call Apple evil....Take a closer look at google and some of the lawsuits against them. They arent any better.

You just have to go with which environment offers you what you need.
swoosh (10-16-2012)
Old 10-16-2012, 11:25 AM

People would certainly argue with you about this one...

My inlaws arent tech people....this is their first smart phone, and they needed new phones and didnt want to spend money, so they were free with extending their contract with t-mobile.

we looked at switching them to at&t with iphone 4's but the plan pricing was way more than they are spending now. So, it wasnt worth it.

i pay $155 after my 16% employer discount between the wifey and me....2 smart phones, 700 minutes shared ($70), unlimited text/mobile to mobile ($30), i have unlimited data ($30) and she has 2GB $25....the discounts pretty much are the amount of the taxes...

$155 for 2 people is insane....but ATT has great data speeds...I get 15-22MBPS on 4G LTE and this is more than my home internet so i just keep wifi off
Old 10-16-2012, 11:30 AM
Race Director

Design change now. Worth it.
Technology not used by anyone, yet. Not worth it?

What are we arguing here?
Old 10-16-2012, 11:30 AM

Siri will keep improving, its still technically a beta...they just hired new bigwig to head up that end of the company.

Android is great for people who want to live in the google environment much like iOS is great for people who want to live in the Apple environment.

google drive and icloud do basically the same thing. and its current implementation is spot on. I change something on my phone...my ipad and computers automatically mirror the change.

integration with my apple tv is flawless.

I have nothing against google...but I do not like their "tracking" I like having the option to say no with iOS...maybe you do with google as well? I know you dont with gmail (my spam account)

People just need to look...they all call Apple evil....Take a closer look at google and some of the lawsuits against them. They arent any better.

You just have to go with which environment offers you what you need.
I agree on the google tracking....i like my privacy but it doesnt bother me....am not doing anything "wrong" and hence i dont care if a google detective follows me.....you can certainly turn it off but if you are signed into google and perform any search and browse it gets stored on the google servers to help optimize the search but yeah some people dont like traction control and launch control

I know Samsung has awesome TV integration with Allshare but I havent used either allshare or airplay so dont wanna comment on it.....

but am learning a lot here about the new iphone....

i just feel Apple is a company which can pull something like this off but it sucks that they are not venturing into it:

Old 10-16-2012, 11:32 AM
The Third Ball

i pay $155 after my 16% employer discount between the wifey and me....2 smart phones, 700 minutes shared ($70), unlimited text/mobile to mobile ($30), i have unlimited data ($30) and she has 2GB $25....the discounts pretty much are the amount of the taxes...

$155 for 2 people is insane....but ATT has great data speeds...I get 15-22MBPS on 4G LTE and this is more than my home internet so i just keep wifi off
I have the EXACT same plan....cept I dont get the employer discount...so mine is way more expensive....actually I just added my Sister in law to my plan as well, but she pays us for her portion.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:35 AM

I have the EXACT same plan....cept I dont get the employer discount...so mine is way more expensive....actually I just added my Sister in law to my plan as well, but she pays us for her portion.
let me see if my company does a friends and family
Sarlacc (10-16-2012)
Old 10-16-2012, 11:40 AM
Race Director

I too have the exact same plan. And I pay $134.35 a month.
Old 10-17-2012, 03:26 AM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 435 Likes on 320 Posts
By myself for unlimited call, text, and data with AT&T for $92ish.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:57 AM

I too have the exact same plan. And I pay $134.35 a month.
thats not bad....guess your employer gives a better discount with the rate plans....

Originally Posted by TheChamp531
By myself for unlimited call, text, and data with AT&T for $92ish.
HOWWWWWWWW !!!!

i used to pay $88-ish for 450 minutes and unlimited data/text/mobile to mobile minutes
Old 10-17-2012, 08:59 AM
The Third Ball

thats not bad....guess your employer gives a better discount with the rate plans....

HOWWWWWWWW !!!!

i used to pay $88-ish for 450 minutes and unlimited data/text/mobile to mobile minutes
For the exact same plan as you I pay about 180 after taxes and fees. With my sis in law now added it will be about 220-230.
Old 10-18-2012, 03:04 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,315 Likes on 968 Posts
UGH didn't realize I had hit 4GB this month. ATT totally killed my download speed. My 3G is typically with a 4Mbps d/l but it's at .24. I got the warning months back but only once.

Quick Reply: Apple: iPhone News and Discussion Thread