Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

Apple: iPad News and Discussion Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 12:23 PM
Team Owner

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,031 Posts
Originally Posted by stogie1020
I am a bit Itunes Store illiterate... If you buy an app, can you put it on several devices or do you have to buy it for each device?
It will sync to all of your devices that support apps. You buy it once.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:25 PM
Sweet!

Received 80 Likes on 69 Posts
I've always been, at least I always try to be, unbiased when it comes to looking at Apple's products versus other solutions out there. There are some things I like about Apple (OS X, the iPod, iPhone, etc...), but I definitely think that the iPad is not this great new "magical" device. At least, not for me.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:26 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,922 Likes on 2,618 Posts
Originally Posted by srika
agreed - I love my 3GS, it's one of the best tech purchases of my life.

Re: Apple, I have hated in the past, it's mainly a product of the stupid hype that goes into each and every release. The way Jobs was talking this thing up in the presentation?? really??? that's where I get it from. People don't need to hear that crap, a truly good product sells itself, you don't have to talk it up. Give me the goods, don't waste my time.
So, what you're saying is you're a whiny bitch because of how a company chooses to market itself in order to do business.

Yeah, you're just being brilliant right now.
Sweet!

Received 80 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally Posted by GIBSON6594
I like Apple and think the products they put out are top notch. The iphone OS, for what it does, does it extremely well. But this Ipad is almost insulting to me. I feel like all Apple is doing with this is trying to rip money from people who they know will buy anything that comes out.

Out of all my friends and colleagues who I asked if they would buy an iPad. I asked the ones who said yes why. Do you know the first thing that came out of their mouth?

"It looks so cool!"

The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Hitler vid FTW!!!
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by stogie1020
I am a bit Itunes Store illiterate... If you buy an app, can you put it on several devices or do you have to buy it for each device?
When you buy something it is added to your itunes library, which you can sync with more than one device.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:31 PM
nnInn

Received 1,084 Likes on 646 Posts
Originally Posted by thunder04

Out of all my friends and colleagues who I asked if they would buy an iPad. I asked the ones who said yes why. Do you know the first thing that came out of their mouth?

"It looks so cool!"

Most people always buy things because of this, shoes, clothes, cell phones, cars. And the shoes will have no support, the clothes will ride up the ass or itch, cell phone won't work or it'll be too small. And the car will drive like shit.

Look at how much stuff you have purchased, because it was cool when you first saw it and now it's sitting somewhere and you don't use it.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:39 PM
nnInn

agreed - I love my 3GS, it's one of the best tech purchases of my life.

Re: Apple, I have hated in the past, it's mainly a product of the stupid hype that goes into each and every release. The way Jobs was talking this thing up in the presentation?? really??? that's where I get it from. People don't need to hear that crap, a truly good product sells itself, you don't have to talk it up. Give me the goods, don't waste my time.
Every company purports their product as the latest and greatest, I've never seen one that doesn't. I don't see how it was wasting your time, you didn't go to it, did you watch/listen the entire event?

Many in here complaining about the ipad would NEVER buy one to start with, because Apple is the name on the product.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:46 PM
Banned

Received 960 Likes on 593 Posts
I was wondering what the over/under was on some idiot making a Downfall vid.

It's gotta be the most overused and worthless meme that I can think of.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:47 PM
Secret Agent

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts
Okay, here's the other side of the wall.

If you complain to Herr Jobs about no multi-tasking he's gonna smile and say "I know".
You'll get the same response when you ask or complain about "closed loop" computing systems, which is what this is. And everyone else who's complaining that this thing isn't a computer will get nothing but a grin from him.

Why?

Because "we" are not the ones he's going after with this thing. He's going after everyone else. And he'll probably get them. Then laugh all the way to the bank, again.

He wants Grandma who doesn't want anything to do with a computer, but loves checking email and getting photos from her kids. He wants the people like my mom who just wants to push one button to look a pictures.
He's targeting the people that don't know and don't want to know anything about an IP address, could give a damn what http means, and doesn't give a shit about firewire or html5 or anything.
He wants the kind of person that doesn't give a damn how a car works or what kind of nifty options it has but just wants the damn thing to start and take them to the store and back.

Get it?

Nice job Steve.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:54 PM
Arriving Somewhere...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As I predicted yesterday, Wall St. isn't too happy about the iPad either. The Wall Street Journal is reporting that Apple disappointment is not only dragging down Apple's stock (-4%), but the whole tech sector, and the overall market with it.

"NEW YORK (Dow Jones)--U.S. stocks dropped Thursday, pulled down by disappointment in the technology sector over Apple's new tablet computer and economic data showing smaller-than-expected improvements."

http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-..._Global_Stocks

You have to take these things with a grain of salt, because the market isn't nearly that one-dimensional, but it isn't good for day-after buzz.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 10,352 Likes on 5,259 Posts
Originally Posted by Sarlacc
So, what you're saying is you're a whiny bitch because of how a company chooses to market itself in order to do business.

Yeah, you're just being brilliant right now.
no, it's more than that. I'll name something else, off the top of my head. For a company as revolutionary and groundbreaking as Apple, why don't Macbooks have the i3 / i5 / i7 processors yet?
Old 01-28-2010, 12:58 PM
Banned

Received 960 Likes on 593 Posts
I bet Steve was pissed when Intel named them starting with an i.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:58 PM
The Third Ball

no, it's more than that. I'll name something else, off the top of my head. For a company as revolutionary and groundbreaking as Apple, why don't Macbooks have the i3 / i5 / i7 processors yet?
Because they havent been updated yet.

You're really starting to try and stretch. Again, just shut the fuck up already.

You have ALWAYS been hater because of nothing more but the apple brand being on a product.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:59 PM
Senior Moderator

ok, I'll be quiet. sorry.
Old 01-28-2010, 01:01 PM
nnInn

Other companies just put them in their laptops two weeks ago. And if you order one you'll be waiting weeks to get one. Jackie is. Hell I have to wait four weeks to get a i7 desktop.
Old 01-28-2010, 01:01 PM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Because they havent been updated yet.

You're really starting to try and stretch. Again, just shut the fuck up already.

You have ALWAYS been hater because of nothing more but the apple brand being on a product.
Doesn't Srika own an iPhone 3Gs?
Old 01-28-2010, 01:02 PM
Secret Agent

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts
Damn you two - go get married already.
Old 01-28-2010, 01:02 PM
nnInn

Originally Posted by Mockenrue
As I predicted yesterday, Wall St. isn't too happy about the iPad either. The Wall Street Journal is reporting that Apple disappointment is not only dragging down Apple's stock (-4%), but the whole tech sector, and the overall market with it.

"NEW YORK (Dow Jones)--U.S. stocks dropped Thursday, pulled down by disappointment in the technology sector over Apple's new tablet computer and economic data showing smaller-than-expected improvements."

http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-..._Global_Stocks

You have to take these things with a grain of salt, because the market isn't nearly that one-dimensional, but it isn't good for day-after buzz.
Isn't this the norm since the stocks had been up earlier this week?
Old 01-28-2010, 01:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by jupitersolo
Other companies just put them in their laptops two weeks ago. And if you order one you'll be waiting weeks to get one. Jackie is. Hell I have to wait four weeks to get a i7 desktop.
Ive had an i7-975 desktop since July '09...
Old 01-28-2010, 01:09 PM
nnInn

Ive had an i7-975 desktop since July '09...
Yes, but I'm waiting for a new i7 chipset computer. Apples iMac has i5 and i7 chips.
Old 01-28-2010, 01:10 PM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by GIBSON6594
Doesn't Srika own an iPhone 3Gs?
He says he does...and if you go back to threads when the iphone was just announced and people were finally getting them in hand, he was of course right there on the front lines bashing them. As usual. And he hadnt even used or seen one yet.

But yet here he is now...owning one, saying he loves it.

Go figure...
Old 01-28-2010, 01:15 PM
I'm Down Right Fierce!

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Shalooby

Because "we" are not the ones he's going after with this thing. He's going after everyone else. And he'll probably get them. Then laugh all the way to the bank, again.

He wants Grandma who doesn't want anything to do with a computer, but loves checking email and getting photos from her kids....

Get it?

Nice job Steve.
So essentially he's appealing to a dying market? (No pun intended). People are becoming more and more computer literate, and while providing people with "simple" solutions is a good idea, I hardly think its a move in the right direction.

For those who have an iphone or ipod touch, I don't see the point in getting the IPad. They're essentially the same machines.

For those who have a Mac Book or MBP, the IPad is just a toy to be played with and isn't nearly as useful.

People looking for a business solution likely will want a full on laptop that can multitask, can do simple video conferencing, or even transfer data from one source via USB without any gimmicky attachments.

The list goes on and on. I really like Apple, but this particular product is really disappointing.
Old 01-28-2010, 01:16 PM
Senior Moderator

yes, I hated on the iphone when it came out. I had not tried one. I was in the wrong.

regarding this thing, I am just one person. If you haven't noticed, others have the same sentiments about it. There is a general "letdown" feeling going around, and it's based on expectations that were not met. So no, I don't think this is comparable to what happened with the iphone, regarding my reaction to it.
Old 01-28-2010, 01:16 PM
seizure force field!

Received 115 Likes on 95 Posts
If we don't have them by Macworld '10 I'm gonna
Old 01-28-2010, 01:19 PM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by BraveDemon
So essentially he's appealing to a dying market? (No pun intended). People are becoming more and more computer literate, and while providing people with "simple" solutions is a good idea, I hardly think its a move in the right direction.

For those who have an iphone or ipod touch, I don't see the point in getting the IPad. They're essentially the same machines.

For those who have a Mac Book or MBP, the IPad is just a toy to be played with and isn't nearly as useful.

People looking for a business solution likely will want a full on laptop that can multitask, can do simple video conferencing, or even transfer data from one source via USB without any gimmicky attachments.

The list goes on and on. I really like Apple, but this particular product is really disappointing.
My mother is dying for one.

She has an iphone. She has a MBP. She does all her work and designing on her MBP and she uses her iphone to sit in front of the TV and play games on and do emails. She is quite computer literate.

She is STOKED on the ipad because they canceled their newspaper subscription a long time ago (except sunday) and now she can easily read the daily news without lugging out her laptop, and she can do her email on a larger screen than the iphone, as well as play her games.
Old 01-28-2010, 01:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Yes, but I'm waiting for a new i7 chipset computer. Apples iMac has i5 and i7 chips.
oh so it's not available yet. my bad.

my comment was in reference to the laptops though, the PC world already has them, Apple does not.
Old 01-28-2010, 01:23 PM
Senior Moderator

My mother is dying for one.

She has an iphone. She has a MBP. She does all her work and designing on her MBP and she uses her iphone to sit in front of the TV and play games on and do emails. She is quite computer literate.

She is STOKED on the ipad because they canceled their newspaper subscription a long time ago (except sunday) and now she can easily read the daily news without lugging out her laptop, and she can do her email on a larger screen than the iphone, as well as play her games.
clearly, obviously, there are going to be people who find use - great use - from the ipad. And, that is great. Good. Friend of mine is psyched because he can use the ipad to quickly show clients new designs and plans in a pleasing elegant manner. And, that is good, good for him. I'm glad the ipad is going to be useful to him.
Old 01-28-2010, 01:24 PM
The Third Ball

yes, I hated on the iphone when it came out. I had not tried one. I was in the wrong.

regarding this thing, I am just one person. If you haven't noticed, others have the same sentiments about it. There is a general "letdown" feeling going around, and it's based on expectations that were not met. So no, I don't think this is comparable to what happened with the iphone, regarding my reaction to it.
You werent the only one who bashed the iphone either.

Haters will be hating. You are just another person lost in a crowd of people who simply hate a company for no good reason other than the company performs and does well for itself.
Old 01-28-2010, 01:24 PM
I'm Down Right Fierce!

^ Sorry to hear that Sarlacc. Like I said, I wasn't making a sarcastic pun, but rather was trying to emphasize that even older generations are becoming more and more computer literate.

I have no doubt that the IPad will sell; now that I think about it... It might make a good gift for my mom. :idea: But I just don't see it appealing it on a broader, more technological and business oriented level.

I guess I can wait for the IPad 2G. HOpefully it will have multi-tasking and built in web cam for video conferencing. Now that would be awesome.
Old 01-28-2010, 01:25 PM
The Third Ball

clearly, obviously, there are going to be people who find use - great use - from the ipad. And, that is great. Good. Friend of mine is psyched because he can use the ipad to quickly show clients new designs and plans in a pleasing elegant manner. And, that is good, good for him. I'm glad the ipad is going to be useful to him.
Oh, wait a minute...so now its NOT just going be a useless let down of a device from apple?

Now it will have its uses?
Old 01-28-2010, 01:26 PM
Team Owner

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,031 Posts
I have no doubt that the IPad will sell; now that I think about it... It might make a good gift for my mom. :idea: But I just don't see it appealing it on a broader, more technological and business oriented level.
It'd be a cool gift for my mom, except the lack of Flash is a killer. Besides e-mail, about all she does on the internet is lose to me at Lexulous, which is Flash-based. Nobody wins when companies feud and use users as pawns.
Old 01-28-2010, 01:27 PM
The Third Ball

But I just don't see it appealing it on a broader, more technological and business oriented level.
EVERYONE...and I mean EVERYONE who had any complaint about the iphone upon its announcement and its release said just that...EVERYONE.

3 years later....look at the iphone and business.

hmmmmm
Old 01-28-2010, 01:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Oh, wait a minute...so now its NOT just going be a useless let down of a device from apple?

Now it will have its uses?
I never said the device was useless.
Old 01-28-2010, 01:28 PM
Senior Moderator

EVERYONE...and I mean EVERYONE who had any complaint about the iphone upon its announcement and its release said just that...EVERYONE.

hmmmmm
ok let's look. yes, it still sucks for business purposes.

btw I work at one of the top 100 law firms in the country. I'm not pulling this out of my ass.
Old 01-28-2010, 01:29 PM
nnInn

oh so it's not available yet. my bad.

my comment was in reference to the laptops though, the PC world already has them, Apple does not.
What I'm saying for laptops is that they JUST became available to use, just weeks ago. Apple will soon follow. Jackie order a i7 chipset laptop, she's having to wait three weeks to get it.
I'm Down Right Fierce!

Lol. Yeah SVTmike. I actually might buy one for my Mom (non 3g service) for her to use around her home with wifi.

It is a great gift idea, and while I'll likely find no use for it, my Mom (and maybe Dad, if he ever decides to learn english) will likely love it.
The Third Ball

I never said the device was useless.
And I'm not going back through 18 pages to pull out all of bashing comments.

But I'd bet money that if someone were to make some awesome ass DJ on the go app so people can mix and make shit wherever with out a cumbersome laptop, You'd own one the day it hit the app store.
Old 01-28-2010, 01:32 PM
Senior Moderator

What I'm saying for laptops is that they JUST became available to use, just weeks ago. Apple will soon follow. Jackie order a i7 chipset laptop, she's having to wait three weeks to get it.
I'm not trying to be difficult here, I'm really not. But, Dell had its first Core i7 laptop out in Sep '09. And, lesser-known companies had them before that.
Old 01-28-2010, 01:33 PM
I'm Down Right Fierce!

hmmmmm
Really? I remember when the first Iphone launched that almost all of my peers in grad school all jumped ship from their blackberries because of it's business capabilities.

I couldn't unfortunately since I was locked into a new contract .

I guess for me personally, the jump from Ipod to Iphone was huge - from its release I wanted an Iphone, but couldn't get one until recently.

The jump from Iphone to Ipad seems like.... baby steps?

Quick Reply: Apple: iPad News and Discussion Thread