Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

Android: Phone News and Discussion Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 05:32 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 439 Likes on 322 Posts
Ordered the Motorola G for my mom.

THey have US GSM version now for sale.. $199 off contract. Jeez such a great deal.
Old 11-26-2013, 05:48 PM
Goodbye.

Received 584 Likes on 423 Posts
Originally Posted by speedemon90
Ordered the Motorola G for my mom.

THey have US GSM version now for sale.. $199 off contract. Jeez such a great deal.
Did you think the touchless controls of the Moto X would be too much for her to handle?

You could buy her all those different color backs and accessories as future gifts when available.

Last edited by TSXy Luster; 11-26-2013 at 05:53 PM.
Old 11-26-2013, 05:51 PM
I shoot people

Received 2,872 Likes on 1,429 Posts
Originally Posted by TSXy Luster
And the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 will be released on the last week of September 2014, with an even bigger screen, smaller bezels, faster and newer internals, tweak in design, with new S-only features on S-apps that will only work with S-products.
I don't understand why the sarcasm when those specs aren't anything far fetched
Old 11-26-2013, 05:57 PM
Goodbye.

Originally Posted by is300eater
I don't understand why the sarcasm when those specs aren't anything far fetched
It was aimed more at the annual articles that every Tom, Dick, and Harry writes about the next Galaxy phone because it is always the same thing, every year. People just keep doing it earlier and earlier each year to get that SEO money without giving any real information. This one wasn't as bad as one last year where the guy had a "breaking news" that the next phone would be called the 'Samsung Galaxy S IV'. Just about any bloke off the block can write those up.
The following users liked this post:
is300eater (11-26-2013)
Old 11-26-2013, 06:43 PM

Received 322 Likes on 182 Posts
It was aimed more at the annual articles that every Tom, Dick, and Harry writes about the next Galaxy phone because it is always the same thing, every year. People just keep doing it earlier and earlier each year to get that SEO money without giving any real information. This one wasn't as bad as one last year where the guy had a "breaking news" that the next phone would be called the 'Samsung Galaxy S IV'. Just about any bloke off the block can write those up.
I love this paragraph. So true on every point.
TSXy Luster (11-26-2013)
Old 11-26-2013, 09:54 PM
Goodbye.

For those of you long time users of the stock Google Keyboard, do you know if they have ever had predictions show up when typing in the browser?

I know Swiftkey had it in the beginning, then they took it away and everyone complained, so now they have it back again.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:51 PM

Received 322 Likes on 182 Posts
For those of you long time users of the stock Google Keyboard, do you know if they have ever had predictions show up when typing in the browser?

I know Swiftkey had it in the beginning, then they took it away and everyone complained, so now they have it back again.
Yes I get the predictions shown above. Ever since Google adopted the swipe feature I stopped using Swype and Swiftkey. It does the job very well for me.

EDIT: Oh in the browser? I thought you were talking about text message. I just noticed that it doesn't show up predictions in some parts of the browser. Type it in Google's web page shows up prediction. Typing it in the URL bar doesn't.
Old 11-27-2013, 01:26 AM
Suzuka Master

Did you think the touchless controls of the Moto X would be too much for her to handle?

You could buy her all those different color backs and accessories as future gifts when available.
Yes it would be lol

She barley started texting lol

Thats why there's no point in moving to fast. Just gotta move slowly. She's rocking an iphone 3G
Old 11-27-2013, 07:00 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,307 Likes on 960 Posts
I d/led Google keyboard to my Note 2 before the Kitkat update. At first it's word correction was near perfect. After the latest update it accepts tjere, tje, and all other kinds of stupid spellings. I never accepted those either.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:32 AM
Goodbye.

Yes it would be lol

She barley started texting lol

Thats why there's no point in moving to fast. Just gotta move slowly. She's rocking an iphone 3G
I made the mistake of moving a parent from a dumbphone to a top of the line Android phone a while back. It's been tech support nightmare ever since!
Old 11-27-2013, 10:20 AM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Received 2,000 Likes on 1,173 Posts
My mom has a flip phone.
Old 11-27-2013, 11:04 AM
Suzuka Master

I think my mom wants to learn but she doesn't need a high performance phone for that.

She wants things like whats app and all since a lot of her family is on it as well.
Old 11-27-2013, 12:38 PM
I'm a dude you reprobates

Received 60 Likes on 47 Posts
Father in law picked up a Samsung that's carrier locked in Hungary. Brought it back to Chicago and wanted me to "make it work". This thing is still running gingerbread and it had the language set to Magyar. Good God. I ended up dusting off a HTC glacier running CM and tossing him that, after I installed an app locker to it to prevent him from accessing the settings, or supersu, or playstore. Its hard enough to play tech support for his PC collection. He will open spam email, it'll fuck his system and then he'll go to another machine and try it again because he really wants to" learn the secrets to become a millionaire by watching a video the government doesn't want you to see! "
Old 11-27-2013, 12:58 PM
I'm Down Right Fierce!

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Well. My LG Optimus G Pro is officially abandonware (after only 5 months) - meaning LG won't be providing updates for it and it'll remain on LG's customized 4.1.2. I should've known, LG has a terrible track record of updating their phone OS's.

Sooooo... I got back into my flashing ways and flashed a pre-nightly build of CM11 (4.4) and its already stable enough to use as a daily driver.

This is why Android is awesome - even if your own manufacturer abandons your phone, you can still get updates so long as you have a decent dev group supporting the device.
Old 11-27-2013, 01:02 PM
Goodbye.

I think my mom wants to learn but she doesn't need a high performance phone for that.

She wants things like whats app and all since a lot of her family is on it as well.
Lol I just forced everyone and forced them to make their friends use Hangouts. 1 app to troubleshoot is so much easier.

Originally Posted by AmberB
Father in law picked up a Samsung that's carrier locked in Hungary. Brought it back to Chicago and wanted me to "make it work". This thing is still running gingerbread and it had the language set to Magyar. Good God. I ended up dusting off a HTC glacier running CM and tossing him that, after I installed an app locker to it to prevent him from accessing the settings, or supersu, or playstore. Its hard enough to play tech support for his PC collection. He will open spam email, it'll fuck his system and then he'll go to another machine and try it again because he really wants to" learn the secrets to become a millionaire by watching a video the government doesn't want you to see! "
I would've thrown the phone at his head and then call the ambulance and said he ran into the door because he needs to be checked into an old folk's home.

But seriously, wth?! I can understand the spam emails but buying a phone overseas is just dumb. This is why I always install antivirus into every electronic for them and make sure they can't mess with it. You can probably just unlock that phone and use it on GSM networks in the USA.

The G Pro had a value pack update. Kids today expect phones to be updated within days of OS update announcements

Last edited by TSXy Luster; 11-27-2013 at 01:06 PM.
Old 11-27-2013, 01:10 PM
Suzuka Master

thats all her family in india who I dont talk to much so i'm not convincing them to use hangouts.

On cybermonday the Moto X is going to be $350 off contract... I'm tempted to get it
Old 11-27-2013, 01:10 PM
Goodbye.

thats all her family in india who I dont talk to much so i'm not convincing them to use hangouts.

On cybermonday the Moto X is going to be $350 off contract... I'm tempted to get it
The only thing I hate about whatsapp is that it expires after 1 year and then people freak out and I rather not deal with that. India is getting crazy into the Nexus game. Tons of them use Nexus 4s now.

and I just (re)posted that at the same time you did

Motorola Will Offer $150 Discounts For Any Off-Contract Moto X Bought On Cyber Monday, Includes Moto Maker And Developer Editions, As Low As $349

That includes the carrier-locked phones and the developer editions.

I'm tempted too, but with wood backs and more color options coming this year... I'll prob wait for the 2nd gen Moto X.
Are you going to spend a bit more and get your mom the Moto X now? You could totally customize it to the flag's colors.

Last edited by TSXy Luster; 11-27-2013 at 01:14 PM.
Old 11-27-2013, 01:15 PM
I'm Down Right Fierce!

The G Pro had a value pack update. Kids today expect phones to be updated within days of OS update announcements
^ Nah TSXy. I used to actively participate in this thread back when I first jumped ship to Android (to my motorola atrix two or so years ago).

And I've owned and tinkered around with enough android phones to know that OS updates shouldn't be expected quickly - don't know why I'm being called a kid?

But its pretty much widely accepted amongst G Pro owners that LG will not be updating the G Pro with any significant updates - there's just no point as they've moved on to the G2.

And that "value pack" update you're talking about, didn't add much if anything - maybe a few updates to the Att bloatware, but otherwise nothing substantial.
Old 11-27-2013, 01:32 PM
I'm Down Right Fierce!

Anyhow, how do you switch from Dalvik to ART in 4.4? I can't seem to find it anywhere on CM11 nor on my Nexus 10.
Old 11-27-2013, 01:35 PM
I'm a dude you reprobates

Received 60 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by BraveDemon
Anyhow, how do you switch from Dalvik to ART in 4.4? I can't seem to find it anywhere on CM11 nor on my Nexus 10.
Buried in developer option menu

Not buried, hidden. Developer options then select runtime. FYI, its a work in progress which is why its hidden.

Last edited by AmberB; 11-27-2013 at 01:39 PM. Reason: edit...not buried, just hidden...dev options, then select runtime...
BraveDemon (11-27-2013)
Old 11-27-2013, 01:46 PM
Goodbye.

Originally Posted by BraveDemon
^ Nah TSXy. I used to actively participate in this thread back when I first jumped ship to Android (to my motorola atrix two or so years ago).

And I've owned and tinkered around with enough android phones to know that OS updates shouldn't be expected quickly - don't know why I'm being called a kid?

But its pretty much widely accepted amongst G Pro owners that LG will not be updating the G Pro with any significant updates - there's just no point as they've moved on to the G2.

And that "value pack" update you're talking about, didn't add much if anything - maybe a few updates to the Att bloatware, but otherwise nothing substantial.
Atrix owner holla! lol

31 is still a kid.

IIRC the value pack added Smart Video to pause playback when looking away, a Dual Camera mode for photo shoots and Pause & Resume Recording for Vine-like video cuts. It also upgraded the Quick Remote for better Smart TV control, added emoticons to its messaging apps and opened up customization of the home button's LED alerts.
BraveDemon (11-27-2013)
Old 11-27-2013, 01:50 PM
Suzuka Master

The only thing I hate about whatsapp is that it expires after 1 year and then people freak out and I rather not deal with that. India is getting crazy into the Nexus game. Tons of them use Nexus 4s now.

and I just (re)posted that at the same time you did

Motorola Will Offer $150 Discounts For Any Off-Contract Moto X Bought On Cyber Monday, Includes Moto Maker And Developer Editions, As Low As $349

That includes the carrier-locked phones and the developer editions.

I'm tempted too, but with wood backs and more color options coming this year... I'll prob wait for the 2nd gen Moto X.
Are you going to spend a bit more and get your mom the Moto X now? You could totally customize it to the flag's colors.
No she doesn't need a better phone, and I'd rather use that money to get me the Moto X

The MAIN thing I want is that battery life. My S3 dies way tooooo much. 2 hours on screen time on a good day.

edit: I think I'm going to do it. When I start my job in january, I'll be working quite a bit and my battery won't survive.

and it looks like I can get 200 minus what ebay takes out, for the S3.

Last edited by speedemon90; 11-27-2013 at 01:52 PM.
Old 11-27-2013, 01:51 PM
I'm Down Right Fierce!

^ Sadly I guess I didn't realize any of those changes because I didn't use any of those features. The quick remote was fun to piss off my wife - I'd pretend to be on my phone and launch the quick remote app and start changing the TV channels on her.

LG's 4.1.2 is great and super stable - but even this pre-nightly 4.4 is so much more buttery smooth.

Just realized tho.. I lose root access going to ART... guess it's a pre-nightly for a reason
Old 11-27-2013, 02:06 PM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
The NOTE 3 !!!

Just wanted to write a quick review about this phone. I have had it for around 2 months now and all I have to say is WOW !!!

I love the bigger screen and the form factor which is just like the Original note....

I had it rooted but got an system update which kinda messed with it...

The screen is awesome....the bigger HD screen is just brilliant to play games or browse or even see some video

The battery life is amazing. I have to really try to drain the battery and still I am with 10% by night....I am a heavy user (I use around 5GB data/month)....after a full day of using the GPS, tethering internet off it, text, call, game, other data usage am usually at 30-35% by night....I keep my wifi on only when my monthly data usage goes over 70% but Bluetooth, GPS, sync are always on....

the OS is great as well....the Sammy does come with a lot of bloatware and just recently I started using some of that shizz....my couch had "eaten" my TV remote and we were expecting some guests (aka Steven Bell) over...I started the Samsung WatchOn app and boom I was controlling the TV and the Uverse box in less than a minute...

the multi window is awesome....the air view is great as well....I keep the smart scroll, air gesture and all the "smart" pause etc features off...NFC stays off as well....

LOVE the SPEN....am not even sure how I went on without that shizz.....

Overall, I would highly recommend this phone....
CGFebTSX04 (11-28-2013)
Old 11-27-2013, 03:05 PM
Goodbye.

No she doesn't need a better phone, and I'd rather use that money to get me the Moto X

The MAIN thing I want is that battery life. My S3 dies way tooooo much. 2 hours on screen time on a good day.

edit: I think I'm going to do it. When I start my job in january, I'll be working quite a bit and my battery won't survive.

and it looks like I can get 200 minus what ebay takes out, for the S3.
Too bad you can't customize the Developer's Edition. Wished they just let you customize it and leave the engraving there. At least there is an easy root method with 4.4 if you want to and Moto posts factory images on their site too.

Not going to wait for wood or gold backs?
Old 11-27-2013, 04:32 PM
Goodbye.

speedemon90,

Old 11-27-2013, 04:45 PM
Suzuka Master

shit i thought the phone was 14.99

Thanks, I'll get one for my mom.

And no I don't want to wait for wood backs cause I'm not going to shell out that extra money for the Moto X. I'd rather get the N5 then. I'm on tmobile remember. I think my dad is still paying some of the S3 off still. So whatever I sell the S3 on ebay for I'll just give to him. Should be enough to pay it off whatever is left.

Also I don't really care too much for the developer edition. I don't plan on rooting it.. at least i think. I like what Moto X has done with the software, I wouldnt put AOSP on it.
Old 11-27-2013, 05:11 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Motorola Will Offer $150 Discounts For Any Off-Contract Moto X Bought On Cyber Monday, Includes Moto Maker And Developer Editions, As Low As $349 ...
Hmm, would that make the Mini free?
Old 11-27-2013, 05:22 PM
Goodbye.

What Mini?
Old 11-27-2013, 09:25 PM
Goodbye.

Barnes and Noble is selling the Nook HD for $80.

Don't know if want.
Old 11-28-2013, 12:39 AM
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 258 Posts
So many things on sale. My wallet can't afford all these things. I want the Moto X and G. Lol. Next on my list is a Qi Charger and/or Miracast receiver (although if Chromecast gets Miracast capabilities as Koush has shown, then this would be useless to me).

Anyone recommend a good reliable Qi Charger? The official Nexus one looks nice but its $50!
Old 11-28-2013, 12:43 AM
Safety Car

The HTC One KitKat Sense version is about to drop any day now:

Looks like he's just waiting to see when he can release it without getting his source in trouble. He's saying that HTC hasn't enabled ART on their Sense builds though. I was looking forward to some ART action now that Titanium Backup works with ART.
Old 11-28-2013, 09:43 AM
Goodbye.

Originally Posted by CGFebTSX04
So many things on sale. My wallet can't afford all these things. I want the Moto X and G. Lol. Next on my list is a Qi Charger and/or Miracast receiver (although if Chromecast gets Miracast capabilities as Koush has shown, then this would be useless to me).

Anyone recommend a good reliable Qi Charger? The official Nexus one looks nice but its $50!
WTH?! Why do you want the X AND the G?

Believe it or not, the 2013 Nexus Qi Charger is the best bang for buck right now. It is cheaper than last year's Orb and cheaper than the other good looking Qi Charger - TYLT VU. Also, the Nexus charger is the only one that has magnets!

If you want just a super cheap one, go get the Nokia charger. You can get those for super cheap, even from AT&T. Or just search ebay/online for the cheap LG puck or any never heard of Asian sounding branded Qi chargers.

I'd wait on Miracast receiver. Or just go buy a new TV that comes with it. I have yet to use Miracast with my phone over a year. Chromecast suits my needs so far.

How the heck are you going to get Qi charging into your One? Does it even have Miracast?
Old 11-28-2013, 10:01 AM
Safety Car

WTH?! Why do you want the X AND the G?

Believe it or not, the 2013 Nexus Qi Charger is the best bang for buck right now. It is cheaper than last year's Orb and cheaper than the other good looking Qi Charger - TYLT VU. Also, the Nexus charger is the only one that has magnets!

If you want just a super cheap one, go get the Nokia charger. You can get those for super cheap, even from AT&T. Or just search ebay/online for the cheap LG puck or any never heard of Asian sounding branded Qi chargers.

I'd wait on Miracast receiver. Or just go buy a new TV that comes with it. I have yet to use Miracast with my phone over a year. Chromecast suits my needs so far.

How the heck are you going to get Qi charging into your One? Does it even have Miracast?
I want the X more than the G but price wise the G is attractive. Haha. Looking for a Qi charger for my 7. Yeah holding out on a Miracast receiver. Haven't really heard great things about them but the idea sounds cool. Maybe when a good deal drops.
Old 11-28-2013, 10:19 AM
Goodbye.

I remember when I got my N4, there was only one Miracast receiver that sort of worked. And even then it took them releasing beta updates for consumers to try and see if it worked. Too much money to blow on an unfinished product that required you to also double as a beta tester with no guarantee of replacement unit if broken.
Old 11-28-2013, 05:53 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by CGFebTSX04
I want the X more than the G but price wise the G is attractive. Haha. Looking for a Qi charger for my 7. Yeah holding out on a Miracast receiver. Haven't really heard great things about them but the idea sounds cool. Maybe when a good deal drops.
Dude get the X on monday, super cheap and totally worth it in my opinion. I'm going to try and get it then.
Old 11-29-2013, 08:09 AM
Team Owner

Received 3,628 Likes on 1,768 Posts
I was leaning towards the X. The G2 just felt better for me size wise.
Old 11-29-2013, 12:36 PM
Safety Car

HTC One Sense KitKat is about to roll out! HTC is on a roll! I hope the RUU drops soon.

HTC One Unlocked and Developer Edition owners - your Kit Kat roll out starts today! Let us know your favorite new additions. #KitKat #HTCOne
Old 11-29-2013, 06:11 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts
Is there a function on my nexus 4 to record a conversation between me and my caller
?
Old 11-29-2013, 06:14 PM
I shoot people

Received 2,872 Likes on 1,429 Posts
Originally Posted by MySoCalLife
Is there a function on my nexus 4 to record a conversation between me and my caller
?
there are apps for it

I use this one, it works okay, it's free

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....my.call&hl=en

Last edited by is300eater; 11-29-2013 at 06:17 PM.
MySoCalLife (11-29-2013)

Quick Reply: Android: Phone News and Discussion Thread