Sports Talk & Fantasy Leagues If you like men in tights, this is the spot to be!

NFL: 2014 Season News and Discussion Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 01:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,918 Likes on 14,039 Posts
Originally Posted by Doom878
There's a range in PSI that is acceptable. It's known in the league that QB's have preferences. I've read so far that Matt Leinart and Boomer Esiason has said that for years QB's have air preferences. I think I heard on ESPN radio that Aaron Rodgers likes it more full Anyways due to personal taste it's why the teams should handle as opposed to the league.
So...Rodgers likes hard, rock-like balls...and Brady likes soft, supple balls.
The following users liked this post:
97BlackAckCL (01-22-2015)
Old 01-22-2015, 01:49 PM
Team Owner

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,031 Posts
Originally Posted by Yumcha
So...Rodgers likes hard, rock-like balls...and Brady likes soft, supple balls.
You seem to contemplate preferences in balls more than is healthy.
Old 01-22-2015, 01:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by svtmike
You seem to contemplate preferences in balls more than is healthy.
Have you seen my obsession with reposts and robots? This is nothing.
Old 01-22-2015, 01:53 PM
Senior Moderator

But, if we are to deviate into what Yumcha's preferences for balls are? Legal.
Whiskers (01-22-2015)
Old 01-22-2015, 02:13 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 811 Likes on 644 Posts
Originally Posted by NBP04TL4ME
The league probably doesn't provide because of cost. Let the teams do it.......... However I do agree the league / officials will have much better control of them going forward.
The league does provide the balls.

The league gives them to the teams, the teams select the 12 they want to use for game play. The refs inspect them prior to the game.

This is only a story because people love to hate the pats. This is something that is known to be done throughout the league. Different quarterbacks have different preferences and they "doctor" the balls to their liking. It's the refs job to make the decision that a ball has been "doctored" too much and not approve it for game play.

This isn't much different than pitchers in baseball doctoring the balls before pitches. It's done widely throughout the league, everyone who pays attention knows it, you don't get busted unless you are over the top with it or another team calls you on it. The main difference is that in football we are just finding out about it know.

The league condoned it, it provided better games and more offense help the "fantasy sports" world. If it wasn't condoned by the league, the league would supply the game balls and both teams would use the same ones provided by the officials. If you want to make sure that all game balls are regulation, why would you give them to the teams and go though the process of "certifying them"? You would certify them and provide them at game time. This is a multi billion dollar non tax paying organization, they can afford a few footballs.
The following 2 users liked this post by black label:
NBP04TL4ME (01-22-2015), oo7spy (01-23-2015)
Old 01-22-2015, 02:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 3,596 Likes on 1,722 Posts
^
Old 01-22-2015, 02:35 PM
Suzuka Master

The following 2 users liked this post by Joneill44:
#1 STUNNA (01-22-2015), NBP04TL4ME (01-22-2015)
Old 01-22-2015, 03:44 PM
Return of the Ring

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
Pretty much sums up how I feel:

On the surface, knowingly tampering with footballs just minutes before (or during?) the AFC Championship Game in which your team is heavily favored seems, in the words of former Patriots safety Rodney Harrison, "laughable.''

It is also incredibly audacious, stupid and paranoid.

It's almost as ludicrous as videotaping the defensive signals of opposing teams after the league sent a memo specifically forbidding the practice and warning there would be serious repercussions if the decree was ignored.

Spygate, Deflategate. Connect the dots and it appears to be more of the same, a haughty coach obsessed with winning who will do anything to get an edge -- and will gleefully tweak the league office in the process.

Therein lies Belichick's problem. A man who has made football his life's work, whose reverence for the game and its history is well-documented, has forever forfeited the benefit of the doubt when it comes to his own integrity. Earlier this month, 85-year-old Don Shula, the winningest coach in NFL history and the only one to oversee an undefeated season, with the Miami Dolphins in 1972, was asked about New England's coach. The congenial Shula replied: "Beli-cheat?"

It spoke volumes about the perception of New England's resident football genius. Shula is a man of character and credibility. His words hold weight, far more than a blustery Ray Lewis embarking on a rant dismissing Tom Brady's career because of the tuck rule. That made no sense and had no merit.

This deflation controversy is a different case altogether.

Why can't the coach trust his players' talents and his own intellect and lean on the excellence of the organization he has so painstakingly built into a sustainable football juggernaut? It's like a prizefighter pummeling his opponent for six straight rounds, then feeling compelled to throw a sucker punch after the bell has sounded. Why? You had the fight won.

I'll say it again: There's no concrete evidence yet that Belichick or the Patriots did anything wrong. But even the most ardent New England fan has to concede that when 11 of the 12 balls are discovered to be deflated, that's a mighty interesting coincidence.

If the NFL finds the Patriots culpable (and that is still a big "if" at this point), it should lay the hammer down. If Belichick turns out to be a repeat offender in the skirting of the league rules, he should be suspended for the Super Bowl.

It's not about the deflated balls. It's not about how much of an advantage (if any) it provided the Patriots or Tom Brady.

It's about the integrity of the sport and the arrogance of a football coach who, if guilty, will have once again shown that he thinks he is bigger than the game.
If allegations prove true, New England Patriots' arrogance should have consequences - ESPN Boston

Last edited by elessar; 01-22-2015 at 03:49 PM.
Old 01-22-2015, 04:43 PM
Old Man Yelling at Clouds

Received 7,362 Likes on 3,906 Posts
Old 01-22-2015, 05:26 PM
Banned

Received 960 Likes on 593 Posts
Originally Posted by Joneill44
Old 01-22-2015, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by elessar
Pretty much sums up how I feel:
I agree. and this.

It's about the integrity of the sport and the arrogance of a football coach who, if guilty, will have once again shown that he thinks he is bigger than the game.
I realize this incident, in isolation, isn't a huge deal. It was a blow out, and you can't make the argument that a 2 psi deviation from the regulation ball pressure led to a 45-7 victory.

Problem is this isn't in isolation. It's a pattern of behavior. It's one thing after another. One small gray area at a time.

If an Olympic runner ran with an illegal length of cleat they'd be disqualified. A baseball player with too much pine-tar on the bad would also be DQ'd, or a pitcher with Vaseline on their fingers. There is precedent that the small stuff can matter. And how is the slight edge you get with an under inflated ball any different than the slight edge you get with a PED? For crying out loud, the league threatened to ban Marshawn Lynch from the NFC championship for wearing the wrong color cleats, which has nothing to do with the actual play. However an under inflated ball does. But I guess that's OK. Because really the marketing is more important. If they had used the wrong brand of football we'd probably be playing Indy.

This all stinks. It stinks because Belichick believes he is above the rules. It stinks because the NFL allows it. A few days ago I just hoped we beat the Pats. Now I hope we destroy them in a painful, shameful way. Screw Billichick and his "legacy".

Last edited by 1Louder; 01-22-2015 at 08:28 PM.
Old 01-22-2015, 08:58 PM
I shoot people

Received 3,039 Likes on 1,477 Posts
so, I'm just wondering, if there were any deflating going on, would it happen on the sidelines? Or do they take the balls in the locker room (or wherever) and do it there?
Old 01-22-2015, 09:02 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 811 Likes on 644 Posts
I'm gonna guess the only deflated balls at the Super Bowl will be those in the Seahawks jock straps. That's what happens when your juiced up on steroids, probably why the have to grab their junk when they score, just to make sure their balls are still there.
Old 01-22-2015, 09:14 PM
Suzuka Master

This has nothing to do with Marshawns cleats. He posted an image online and the nfl told him if you wear those (non apporved) cleats you will be ejected. Pretty straight forward.

As of now there is no proof the patriots "deflated" the balls. There is an ongoing investigation to see what happen, the only info we have is from Mort's "nfl source". The nfl hasn't given a single statement about the situation. You can't start punishing players/coaches without knowing what happen.

Everyone needs to relax until then. I'm not denying what happen I'm just tired of people calling for Belichick to be fired or Brady to be suspended before we have the facts straight
The following 2 users liked this post by Joneill44:
is300eater (01-22-2015), NBP04TL4ME (01-23-2015)
Old 01-23-2015, 06:38 AM
Team Owner

Bears to hire Adam Gase as OC.

Report: Bears reach deal with Adam Gase | ProFootballTalk
Old 01-23-2015, 07:35 AM
Return of the Ring

Everyone needs to relax until then.
Wrong team, dude.

Ya know, I had Brady on my fantasy team this year, and he sucked to the point where I benched him in Week 4, I think - and that's when he suddenly started to blow up, for pretty much the rest of the season. I wonder if that's when they started letting a little extra air out.

I'm actually only about halfway kidding about that...
Old 01-23-2015, 08:16 AM
Safety Car

Received 377 Likes on 234 Posts
I can't wait to get my Pep Boys Superbowl XLIX commemorative tire pressure gauge.
elessar (01-23-2015)
Old 01-23-2015, 08:46 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,314 Likes on 967 Posts
Ok it's over. Moving on...

Colts Player: Officials Stopped Using Patriots' Balls In The First Half

Because the NFL investigation is taking its sweet time (they haven't spoken to Tom Brady yet), and because it'll never reveal anything useful anyway, we're forced to piece together the details and the timeline of how the Patriots' deflated-ball scandal played out. This interview helps immensely: it's an interview with D'Qwell Jackson, the first Colts player to touch one of Brady's alleged soft balls.

We'd already learned that the Colts grew suspicious of the Patriots' footballs during their game back in November, and had alerted the NFL to their concerns. But two pieces of information revealed by Jackson in a conference call yesterday shed more light on how things went down in the AFC Championship: 1) Jackson did not personally notice anything wrong with the ball he intercepted, and 2) Officials took the Patriots' balls out of play in the first half, much earlier than had been previously reported.

Report: NFL Was Aware Of Patriots Deflation Allegations Before Sunday

This, at least, answers one of the peripheral questions surrounding claims that the Patriots…Read more

Jackson, who claimed he didn't even know there was a controversy until the team flew back to Indianapolis late that night, said he doesn't handle footballs often enough to tell the difference between, say one with 12.5 psi and one with 10.5 psi. "I definitely wouldn't be able to tell if one ball had less pressure than another," he said.

This doesn't necessarily conflict with what was first reported. Newsday's Bob Glauber, who was the first to discover the NFL's investigation, wrote on Monday morning that it wasn't Jackson who first noticed something wrong with the ball, but rather the Colts equipment manager he gave it to after his interception. And sure enough, Jackson said yesterday he handed the ball off because he "wanted that ball as a souvenir."

Much more interesting is Jackson's statement that the Patriots' balls were taken out of play in the first half. Previously, we'd only known that they were formally inspected at halftime.

Jackson does, however, recall one interesting moment during the first half that has something to do with the latest controversy. He recalls, during a television timeout, there was an especially long delay that prompted him to approach an official.

The game official mentioned something about their efforts to locate a usable football. Shortly after, Jackson noticed that the Patriots were using the Colts' footballs late in the first half. Jackson said it was odd to him that New England couldn't find a football to use, especially in the AFC Championship Game.

Interesting! (All of this qualifies as "interesting." Not "nefarious," not "criminal," certainly not "suspendable." It's still a lot of fun to follow, and I am excited to see what comes out next. It's a scandal in every sense of the word, but no one ought to be scandalized.)

Jackson, saying what everyone's been saying (and then been shouted down for saying), declared that ball pressure wasn't why the Colts got mollywhopped.

"It wouldn't have changed the outcome of the game," Jackson said. "They outplayed us. We didn't match their intensity. I don't feel slighted at all personally. They created turnovers, they ran the ball on us. They won that game because of their intensity — not the pressure of a football."

And so ends the Ballghazi controversy. I trust no one will ever talk about it again.
NBP04TL4ME (01-23-2015)
Old 01-23-2015, 09:20 AM
Return of the Ring

Just because they cheated and got caught early enough for it not to make a difference in the outcome of the game, does NOT mean that they should escape punishment for cheating.

Think about it: that article is just further proof that they got caught cheating in the AFC Championship Game.

My is that Belichick should be suspended for the Superbowl. They obviously can't, won't and shouldn't strip the AFC Championship from the Pats, but just giving them a slap on the wrist (i.e. taking away draft picks) doesn't seem sufficient.

Last edited by elessar; 01-23-2015 at 09:24 AM.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:23 AM
Return of the Ring

Either that, or make him wear the cursed red hoodie he wore for their first Superbowl loss to the Giants.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:52 AM
Banned

Received 960 Likes on 593 Posts
Just because they cheated and got caught early enough for it not to make a difference in the outcome of the game, does NOT mean that they should escape punishment for cheating.

Think about it: that article is just further proof that they got caught cheating in the AFC Championship Game.

My is that Belichick should be suspended for the Superbowl. They obviously can't, won't and shouldn't strip the AFC Championship from the Pats, but just giving them a slap on the wrist (i.e. taking away draft picks) doesn't seem sufficient.
I still think the entire issue is completely overblown.
NBP04TL4ME (01-23-2015)
Old 01-23-2015, 10:04 AM
Return of the Ring

Funny thing is, in one of the articles I read about this yesterday, the top 2 comments pretty much summed up the entire argument, from the 2 most common points of view:

1st guy: Haters gonna hate!
2nd guy: Cheaters gonna cheat!

Obviously I'm firmly in the 2nd camp.
Old 01-23-2015, 10:08 AM
Senior Moderator

Funny thing is, in one of the articles I read about this yesterday, the top 2 comments pretty much summed up the entire argument, from the 2 most common points of view:

1st guy: Haters gonna hate!
2nd guy: Cheaters gonna cheat!

Obviously I'm firmly in the 2nd camp.
Count me in Camp 2!
Old 01-23-2015, 10:35 AM
Suzuka Master

Oh ya party time. Stop blaming the pats when the refs can't do their own job

Among the many people who had contact with the Patriots pigskin used in Sunday's AFC championship — which were reportedly underinflated — were the ball boys. And one former ball boy (who did not take part in Sunday's match) told NBC News that his goal was always to prepare the ball to the quarterback's preference and hope they passed inspection, and that it would have been very difficult to tamper with them afterward.

Eric Kester, who was a ball boy for the Chicago Bears in 2003, says he can't speculate about the controversy dubbed "Deflate-Gate," but he remembers how the preparation worked — starting with the delivery of factory-fresh balls a few days before a game.

"We would then work with the quarterbacks to customize the balls to their liking. This involved scrubbing them with stiff horsehair brushes to rub off the leather's slippery silicone sheen, and occasionally inflating or deflating the balls a very small amount, which I believe is legal to a degree. Quarterbacks are very particular about the way a ball feels in their hand, and we worked meticulously to match their particular preferences," Kester said.

Two hours before kickoff, he would bring the balls to the referees' locker room for inspection.

"I recall them having a pressure gauge in the locker room, but most often they just squeezed the balls, turned them over in their hands a few times each, and inspected the laces. I don't recall them ever rejecting one of our balls," he said.

"My thought process was, 'Let's get the balls exactly the way our quarterback wants them, and if the refs reject one or two before the game, no big deal. But there's no harm giving them our ideal balls and hoping they make it through inspection.'"
Old 01-23-2015, 10:38 AM
Team Owner

Received 2,334 Likes on 1,962 Posts
Old 01-23-2015, 10:57 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,314 Likes on 967 Posts

As a fellow Fin fan I would love to see Bill get punished. Honestly I think it's a bit much given that their team earned their way to the Super Bowl when the discrepancy was corrected as they had a great 2nd half. Even Jackson, their opponent, agreed. I do agree that since they were actually caught even though "everyone does it", that a fine is deserved. If they can't pin it on a certain person then fine the organization $X and move on. Nobody really complained about the adderall thing with the Seahawks nearly as much. Any other organization other than the "Evil Empire" and this is a one day story.
The following 2 users liked this post by Doom878:
CocheseUGA (01-23-2015), NBP04TL4ME (01-23-2015)
Old 01-23-2015, 11:30 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,248 Likes on 4,859 Posts
I know. I'm late to the show.
Originally Posted by svtmike
If the balls were properly inflated at the time of ref-check, and no one tampered with the inflation afterward, I'd be inclined to blame Clapeyron, Boyle and Charles.

Scientific Explanations Of Deflate-gate | SportsGrid
This part of that link is just too much. "3) Footballs with less air pressure have less mass, and thus do not travel as far."

How much air will it take to affect the mass by 1%?

How about, "Footballs with less air will have less surface tension and more drag, thus they do not travel as far." I seriously question if some of these "sports science" guys have actually ever taken a chemistry or physics course.

Originally Posted by black label
The league does provide the balls.

The league gives them to the teams, the teams select the 12 they want to use for game play. The refs inspect them prior to the game.

This is only a story because people love to hate the pats. This is something that is known to be done throughout the league. Different quarterbacks have different preferences and they "doctor" the balls to their liking. It's the refs job to make the decision that a ball has been "doctored" too much and not approve it for game play.

This isn't much different than pitchers in baseball doctoring the balls before pitches. It's done widely throughout the league, everyone who pays attention knows it, you don't get busted unless you are over the top with it or another team calls you on it. The main difference is that in football we are just finding out about it know.

The league condoned it, it provided better games and more offense help the "fantasy sports" world. If it wasn't condoned by the league, the league would supply the game balls and both teams would use the same ones provided by the officials. If you want to make sure that all game balls are regulation, why would you give them to the teams and go though the process of "certifying them"? You would certify them and provide them at game time. This is a multi billion dollar non tax paying organization, they can afford a few footballs.
Thank you for allowing me to not have to write that up.
Old 01-23-2015, 11:32 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by oo7spy
I know. I'm late to the show.

This part of that link is just too much. "3) Footballs with less air pressure have less mass, and thus do not travel as far."

How much air will it take to affect the mass by 1%?

How about, "Footballs with less air will have less surface tension and more drag, thus they do not travel as far." I seriously question if some of these "sports science" guys have actually ever taken a chemistry or physics course.
Yes, that part was certainly stupid.
oo7spy (01-23-2015)
Old 01-23-2015, 12:31 PM

This has nothing to do with Marshawns cleats. He posted an image online and the nfl told him if you wear those (non apporved) cleats you will be ejected. Pretty straight forward.
Originally Posted by CocheseUGA
I still think the entire issue is completely overblown.
So my only point in bringing up Marshawn's cleats was to illustrate a point.

Wearing a regulation cleat, just with the wrong color = game suspension.

Using an altered piece of playing equipment, where the alteration provides a competitive advantage, should = something worse than wearing the wrong color, right?
Old 01-23-2015, 12:42 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Does anyone know who's playing in the SB next week?

The Bears are in it right?
Old 01-23-2015, 12:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,248 Likes on 4,859 Posts
Originally Posted by 1Louder
So my only point in bringing up Marshawn's cleats was to illustrate a point.

Wearing a regulation cleat, just with the wrong color = game suspension.

Using an altered piece of playing equipment, where the alteration provides a competitive advantage, should = something worse than wearing the wrong color, right?
Here's the deal. That makes sense. When money is involved, logic is the first thing to go.
1Louder (01-23-2015)
Old 01-23-2015, 01:06 PM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,241 Likes on 1,028 Posts
Originally Posted by dom
Does anyone know who's playing in the SB next week?

The Bears are in it right?
Wait, there is a Superbowl next week???
Old 01-23-2015, 01:14 PM
Go Giants

Received 1,235 Likes on 824 Posts
Its the Seattle I Dont Give A Fucks vs the NE Cheaters
elessar (01-23-2015)
Old 01-23-2015, 01:20 PM
nnInn

Received 1,084 Likes on 646 Posts
Originally Posted by NBP04TL4ME
Wait, there is a Superbowl next week???
He's from Canada.....
Old 01-23-2015, 01:42 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by jupitersolo
He's from Canada.....
He's really asking about the Grey Cup.
#1 STUNNA (01-23-2015)
Old 01-23-2015, 01:43 PM
Senior Moderator

And the Toronto Argoleafs.
Old 01-23-2015, 02:36 PM

Hey now - don't get all annoyed with Seattle just yet. We're just warming up beating everyone to death with news about "the 12".
Old 01-23-2015, 02:37 PM

So lets start now.....

Old 01-23-2015, 02:54 PM
Team Owner

Is that an homage to Brian Bosworth's IQ?

Or a thank-you to Aaron Rodgers?
#1 STUNNA (01-23-2015)
Old 01-23-2015, 03:25 PM
Return of the Ring

Or Tom Brady's 12 deflated balls?

Quick Reply: NFL: 2014 Season News and Discussion Thread