Sports Talk & Fantasy Leagues If you like men in tights, this is the spot to be!

NBA Discussion Thread

Old 06-20-2006 | 11:57 PM
The Boss

Originally Posted by jts1207
about what? James a better player than Wade = reality
James is a great player, Wade is the one with the ring.... 'nuff said
Old 06-21-2006 | 12:01 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by AcuraDriver2006
James is a great player, Wade is the one with the ring.... 'nuff said
darko's got one too
Old 06-21-2006 | 12:02 AM
Sig Rho's Finest

WOW, ebay ceases to amaze me

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=8832201775
Old 06-21-2006 | 12:03 AM
Banned

i bet 300 dollars, spurs win it all next year. Any takers?
Old 06-21-2006 | 12:19 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by btsilver
darko's got one too
I think everyone in AZ scored as many points Darko did in those Finals. We also have the same amount of MVP trophies.
Old 06-21-2006 | 12:20 AM
Safety Car

Okay, here goes nothing.

2006 Playoffs were off the hook. From the first round to the finals, there were some pretty good games. I believe these playoffs set the record in terms of game 7s played.

First I want to comment on Dallas.
They are a great team, but I believe the pressure of playing in the finals got to them. They are still a relatively young team, and they have the potential of growing. Dallas played like champions in every round, even in the first 2 games of the finals. I have to give them credit for getting to the finals. Getting past San Antonio and Phoenix was not an easy task. They will be back in the playoffs next year.

Now a few words on Miami.
I have to say I am very impressed with them for winning the finals and becoming the champions. I am also glad Payton and Mourning got their well deserved ring. As for the other players on the team, I believe Haslem and Posey are very good role players and they are under appreciated. Miami got the win because of these role players. But, it was Wade who essentially won the championship for them. He has stepped up time and time again at the most critical phases of the game. He has impressed me the most with his attitude. His composure during the finals was impeccable. NBA needs more players like him; no talk, all play. Shaq still has the inside presence and he still creates a lot of problems for their opponents. As he gets older, he is not looking to explode offensively, but rather use his size advantage coupled with his passing ability to help others with getting easy points on the board. He probably has a couple of more years left.

Having said that, I still do not like Miami. But I congratulate them and all Miami fans for getting the job done.

Can’t wait for next year, I am addicted to NBA now because of Wade. Someone has got to stop him.

Oh and I will be paypaling the money in the next couple of days if that is not a problem.
Old 06-21-2006 | 01:11 AM
how handsome I am

I was just out there on 49th in hialeah... crazy old cuban ladies with pots and spoons and this one black mama on the hood of her car with an umbrella

It was nuts.

Go heat... We've really got something special with Wade here in the 305. And fuck If I didnt almost shed a tear every minute 'Zo was on the floor... fuck thats the same intensity and fire I saw in him almost 9-10 years ago when he first came to Miami.

Go Miami! And yes, let the Wade era begin..
Old 06-21-2006 | 07:43 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by badboy
Okay, here goes nothing.

2006 Playoffs were off the hook. From the first round to the finals, there were some pretty good games. I believe these playoffs set the record in terms of game 7s played.

First I want to comment on Dallas.
They are a great team, but I believe the pressure of playing in the finals got to them. They are still a relatively young team, and they have the potential of growing. Dallas played like champions in every round, even in the first 2 games of the finals. I have to give them credit for getting to the finals. Getting past San Antonio and Phoenix was not an easy task. They will be back in the playoffs next year.

Now a few words on Miami.
I have to say I am very impressed with them for winning the finals and becoming the champions. I am also glad Payton and Mourning got their well deserved ring. As for the other players on the team, I believe Haslem and Posey are very good role players and they are under appreciated. Miami got the win because of these role players. But, it was Wade who essentially won the championship for them. He has stepped up time and time again at the most critical phases of the game. He has impressed me the most with his attitude. His composure during the finals was impeccable. NBA needs more players like him; no talk, all play. Shaq still has the inside presence and he still creates a lot of problems for their opponents. As he gets older, he is not looking to explode offensively, but rather use his size advantage coupled with his passing ability to help others with getting easy points on the board. He probably has a couple of more years left.

Having said that, I still do not like Miami. But I congratulate them and all Miami fans for getting the job done.

Can’t wait for next year, I am addicted to NBA now because of Wade. Someone has got to stop him.

Oh and I will be paypaling the money in the next couple of days if that is not a problem.
All I gotta say is WOW. Our observation is nearly identical. And you're right about the role players. Posey hitting the key 3's and his D. UD's D and rebounding especially in Game 7. J. Will's big shots. Payton's clutch shots. And of course Alonzo Mourning, Mr. Heat himself, with his trademark intensity, key blocks, and D. I'm going to miss him as I went through the years watching his outstanding play and all his heartbreaks against the Knicks and Bulls. If anyone didn't see his press conference interview, do whatever you can to watch it. Talk about inspiration.
Old 06-21-2006 | 08:19 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

I still think Phoenix would have won it all with Stodamire in the lineup.
Old 06-21-2006 | 08:33 AM
Tristate ViP Crew

Congrats to Miami, I'm happy for Shaq eventhough he didn't pull any big numbers in the finals. They will never see another championship in L.A. with Kobe. Mad props to D. Wade I'm so impressed with him, I gotta get his jersey.
Old 06-21-2006 | 08:39 AM
Senior Moderator

Great
Now all these wanna be fans will be coming out, crowding the roads, acting like dumbasses. The city will waste tons of tax payer $$ on 5 different parades, & other useless nonsense. Making Miami a bigger traffic jam then it already is.
Happend with the marlins so it will happen again with the heat.
Old 06-21-2006 | 08:40 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Doom878
All I gotta say is WOW. Our observation is nearly identical. And you're right about the role players. Posey hitting the key 3's and his D. UD's D and rebounding especially in Game 7. J. Will's big shots. Payton's clutch shots. And of course Alonzo Mourning, Mr. Heat himself, with his trademark intensity, key blocks, and D. I'm going to miss him as I went through the years watching his outstanding play and all his heartbreaks against the Knicks and Bulls. If anyone didn't see his press conference interview, do whatever you can to watch it. Talk about inspiration.
I'll be the first to admit that after Miami dropped the first two games in Dallas, I didn't think they had a chance to win the series, the way Dallas was playing. when I saw them being down by double digits in game 3 with only 6 minutes to go, I was almost sure that Miami wouldn't get it. But it seemed like a light went off in Miami's head and they decided that they were not going to lose the game. After that Dallas just didn't have an answer. They were "blown out" in game 4. and game 5 another close won in which Miami refused to lose. Game 6 was the exact same way. Its not even that Dallas played that poorly in games 3, 5, and 6, Miami just played better. As I have said before, I really don't have a favorite team, but I am very happy for Mourning, I remember all the heartbreak he had with the Heat his first go round and could never get over the hump to even get to the finals. I remember way back when he was with Charlotte and they had just eliminated the Celtics in the playoffs. I enjoyed his press conference interview, truly inspiring.

The Glove finaly gets his ring. after not being able to get one in Seattle and LA.

Jason Williams who I was sure would win a title with the Kings, finally gets one.

Shaq makes good on his promise.

D-Wade..nothing I can really say except that he is truly amazing, and a very humble person. Even when he was being presented the MVP trophy, he seemed very humble while his teammates cheered him on. What the commentators said about its good the NBA has a player like Wade couldn't be more true. The NBA needs more players like him. The reason I stopped watching the NBA in the first place was because it was just too many ego's, players whinning about money, etc etc. But players like D-Wade has gotten me back into it. Overall, this is probably the best playoffs I think I have ever seen.

Last edited by WdnUlik2no; 06-21-2006 at 08:42 AM.
Old 06-21-2006 | 08:58 AM
Keeping emos out of

Originally Posted by jts1207
about what? James a better player than Wade = reality
Dude get bent, seriously, get bent. DWade just won a fecking championship and finals MVP. Once Lebron does that then the comparisons can resume. Kicking butt in the regular season and first two rounds of the playoffs doesn't mean squat until you get it done and win your final game of the season. For a good example see Dominique Wilkins, Charles Barkley, Patrick Ewing, etc.
Old 06-21-2006 | 09:01 AM
Keeping emos out of

Originally Posted by dom
Yeah and i would have won Powerball if all my numbers matched up too
Old 06-21-2006 | 09:17 AM
Team Owner

But if MVP Steve Nash was still in Dallas, Dallas would've owned them.
Old 06-21-2006 | 09:34 AM
Banned

I think everyone in AZ scored as many points Darko did in those Finals. We also have the same amount of MVP trophies.
he's still got one.
Old 06-21-2006 | 09:38 AM
Team Owner

Yeah as a passenger. What's your point?
Old 06-21-2006 | 09:44 AM
Banned

Yeah as a passenger. What's your point?
that he still got one
Old 06-21-2006 | 09:54 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by goose25
Dude get bent, seriously, get bent. DWade just won a fecking championship and finals MVP. Once Lebron does that then the comparisons can resume. Kicking butt in the regular season and first two rounds of the playoffs doesn't mean squat until you get it done and win your final game of the season. For a good example see Dominique Wilkins, Charles Barkley, Patrick Ewing, etc.
so, now you admit that until you win a championship, you won't have that legacy (referencing our kobe versus wade/lebron debates).

wade is definitely a notch above lebron now, and has arguably shown more than kobe ever has. he was the single handed reason the heat won this year...that and the refs.

it's been a long time since a guard dominated the way he has these playoffs, and especially in the finals. dare i say...jordanesque.
Old 06-21-2006 | 10:06 AM
how handsome I am

Originally Posted by CrockPot
so, now you admit that until you win a championship, you won't have that legacy (referencing our kobe versus wade/lebron debates).

wade is definitely a notch above lebron now, and has arguably shown more than kobe ever has. he was the single handed reason the heat won this year...that and the refs.

it's been a long time since a guard dominated the way he has these playoffs, and especially in the finals. dare i say...jordanesque.
Old 06-21-2006 | 10:15 AM
Banned

I dont think he has shown more than kobe has, maybe just as much. I would hardly say Jordanesque. Remember, he had shaq on his team, Mourning on his team, Walker (eventhough he's a bum) on his team, Jwill and Payton on his team too. Thats a whole lot of allstars.
Old 06-21-2006 | 10:20 AM
Suzuka Master

I dont think he has shown more than kobe has, maybe just as much. I would hardly say Jordanesque. Remember, he had shaq on his team, Mourning on his team, Walker (eventhough he's a bum) on his team, Jwill and Payton on his team too. Thats a whole lot of allstars.
jwill is not an allstar. the rest are over the hill, with shaq leading that brigade.
Old 06-21-2006 | 10:28 AM
Banned

jwill is not an allstar. the rest are over the hill, with shaq leading that brigade.
they are still really good players. Its safe to say they wont be back next year. Unless they pick up some other just-about-to-be-over-the-hill former allstars.
Old 06-21-2006 | 01:06 PM
Team Owner

Ironically the kidney problem of Zo is the reason why we got Wade. Had we not sucked so bad we wouldn't have had a pick so high.

And this whole BS of comparing Wade and Lebron is so . In 2006 Heat > *
Old 06-21-2006 | 01:08 PM
The Boss

Dallas Mavs is a great team and they will continue to be a NBA finals contender next year. However, the league today has gotten alot better, especially in the Western Conference side. You have The Suns, The Spurs to deal with and needless to say winning a ton of games during the regular season to get to the playoffs. Dallas is still a young team and if they keep all the players together, especially the coach... they can still have another run.
Dallas played well in the first 2 games, but pressure got to them and Miami learned how to play against them.

The Heat got better and each player did their task (Shaq dominated the center post and passed the ball when double teamed, Walker choked 90% of the time but sinked a few key 3 pointers when needed, Payton's clutch shots, J. William's magical pass and finding open shooters, Posey's key 3 pointers, Haslim's amazing Defense and Mourning's crazy block shots... needless to say Wade's ability and determination to win the game.) All of those factors played a key in winning the championship and virtual sweep against the Mavs. If they continue to be as focused this season and keep the hunger for another ring along with Mourning and Payton don't retire.... they should be able to defend their Trophy next year.

This NBA finals answered alot of thing questions throughout the season. One in particular I'd like to point out is Shaq > Kobe. When Shaq left the Lakers, people debated who would get that ring first. Well, the answer is obvious.... LA was a bad influence for Shaq and alot of players, Hollywood mentality got into alot of Lakers players. In Miami, Shaq mellowed down and the team bonded well together with only one objective: to win the championship. The Miami heat team reminded me of the 1997 and 1998 Bulls, every player had a role and did their job, they were close and listened well to their leaders.

James, 3rd year into the finals and has shown what a great player he is. But right now, D. Wade is the champion. James could easily be said to have more talent than Wade, but can you seriously say he's better than Wade after what Wade has shown in the last 4 games?
James is great, I love watching him dominate, and he has the ability to make you say "holy sh*t, he good could he be?" But you have to ask youself this question: "James is good, but does he have that WILL and DESIRE to win as much as Wade has shown?"

Wade got heart, he's willingness to win gave me the confidence to vote for being THE BEST player in the NBA today. He's the most humble and unselfish player I've seen in a long time... so to me, he's the closest player to be called THE NEXT JORDAN. Of course, nobody can ever be as good as Jordan, but Wade certainly have his signature all over the NBA today.

Old 06-21-2006 | 01:11 PM
The Boss

Ironically the kidney problem of Zo is the reason why we got Wade. Had we not sucked so bad we wouldn't have had a pick so high.

And this whole BS of comparing Wade and Lebron is so . In 2006 Heat > *

I like players who's HUMBLE. Who doesn't talk trash and gets cocky when he scores.....

You see that in James, you see that in Kobe and Shaq.. but you don't see that in Wade.

Wade scores, turns around plays defense. In his interviews, he says things that's humble and he claims the win was not about him but the team. He's a great player and a good kid in my book.
Old 06-21-2006 | 01:13 PM
I'm back, biatch.

Did we just watch Shaq's, Zo's, and GP's last game?

...and enough with the wade/jordan comparisions.
Old 06-21-2006 | 01:18 PM
Team Owner

Old 06-21-2006 | 01:19 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by teg_to_bike

...and enough with the wade/jordan comparisions.
I believe Zo for sure. GP most likely. Shaq I don't see why you'd say that.
Old 06-21-2006 | 01:20 PM
I'm back, biatch.

I believe Zo for sure. GP most likely. Shaq I don't see why you'd say that.
35, declining game, accomplished his goal.

Not a bad time to walk away.
Old 06-21-2006 | 01:22 PM
My Work is Done Here

No. Well, maybe Zo's.
Old 06-21-2006 | 01:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by AcuraDriver2006
Dallas Mavs is a great team and they will continue to be a NBA finals contender next year. However, the league today has gotten alot better, especially in the Western Conference side. You have The Suns, The Spurs to deal with and needless to say winning a ton of games during the regular season to get to the playoffs. Dallas is still a young team and if they keep all the players together, especially the coach... they can still have another run.
Dallas played well in the first 2 games, but pressure got to them and Miami learned how to play against them.

The Heat got better and each player did their task (Shaq dominated the center post and passed the ball when double teamed, Walker choked 90% of the time but sinked a few key 3 pointers when needed, Payton's clutch shots, J. William's magical pass and finding open shooters, Posey's key 3 pointers, Haslim's amazing Defense and Mourning's crazy block shots... needless to say Wade's ability and determination to win the game.) All of those factors played a key in winning the championship and virtual sweep against the Mavs. If they continue to be as focused this season and keep the hunger for another ring along with Mourning and Payton don't retire.... they should be able to defend their Trophy next year.

This NBA finals answered alot of thing questions throughout the season. One in particular I'd like to point out is Shaq > Kobe. When Shaq left the Lakers, people debated who would get that ring first. Well, the answer is obvious.... LA was a bad influence for Shaq and alot of players, Hollywood mentality got into alot of Lakers players. In Miami, Shaq mellowed down and the team bonded well together with only one objective: to win the championship. The Miami heat team reminded me of the 1997 and 1998 Bulls, every player had a role and did their job, they were close and listened well to their leaders.

James, 3rd year into the finals and has shown what a great player he is. But right now, D. Wade is the champion. James could easily be said to have more talent than Wade, but can you seriously say he's better than Wade after what Wade has shown in the last 4 games?
James is great, I love watching him dominate, and he has the ability to make you say "holy sh*t, he good could he be?" But you have to ask youself this question: "James is good, but does he have that WILL and DESIRE to win as much as Wade has shown?"

Wade got heart, he's willingness to win gave me the confidence to vote for being THE BEST player in the NBA today. He's the most humble and unselfish player I've seen in a long time... so to me, he's the closest player to be called THE NEXT JORDAN. Of course, nobody can ever be as good as Jordan, but Wade certainly have his signature all over the NBA today.

i wouldnt say the shaq> kobe because look what they traded shaq for. That would be like if the lakers decided to keep shaq and traded kobe for Starbury.
Plus you gotta look at the heat that had a whole bunch of former allstars on their team. What do the lakers have other than kobe?
Old 06-21-2006 | 01:36 PM
Safety Car

Mods,

Please close this thread by next Tuesday.

That should give people enough time to get their comments in on the playoffs.

The rest of the discussion shall continue in the nba thread.

Thanks
Old 06-21-2006 | 01:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dom

This was an off year....I give credit to both teams...but Dallas choked its own way.
Old 06-21-2006 | 01:55 PM
Suzuka Master

i wouldnt say the shaq> kobe because look what they traded shaq for. That would be like if the lakers decided to keep shaq and traded kobe for Starbury.
Plus you gotta look at the heat that had a whole bunch of former allstars on their team. What do the lakers have other than kobe?

shaq was a relative NON-factor in this series. anything he contributed positively was easily negated by his liability on defense and his poor (and poor is a nice way of putting it) free throw shooting.

credit for the heat winning this year's final:

1) Dwayne Wade
2) D Fucking Wade
3) Refs
4) Posey and Haslem's Defense
5) GP's miraculous shots
6) Dallas not fouling Shaq enough
Old 06-21-2006 | 02:13 PM
Racer

whoooooooo hooooo Heat all the way!!!

yo doom878 what's up!!? Long time man...you're going to the parade on Friday?!
Old 06-21-2006 | 02:18 PM
Tristate ViP Crew

35, declining game, accomplished his goal.

Not a bad time to walk away.
I agree its a good time for Shaq to walk away and pursue his dream of being the Sheriff and arrest people. I think he'll stay since he played like crap and would like to go out on top of his game.
Old 06-21-2006 | 02:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Im happy for GP been a fan since his days in Seattle. Glad to see he got one.
Old 06-21-2006 | 02:37 PM
The Boss

Going to Miami this weekend
Old 06-21-2006 | 02:38 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by CL Platano
I agree its a good time for Shaq to walk away and pursue his dream of being the Sheriff and arrest people. I think he'll stay since he played like crap and would like to go out on top of his game.
then he should have left 3 years ago.

Quick Reply: NBA Discussion Thread