Sports Talk & Fantasy Leagues If you like men in tights, this is the spot to be!

More NBA Offseason News

Old 07-09-2004, 09:42 AM
Keeping emos out of

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
More NBA Offseason News

He has a verbal agreement and then reneges for bigger money from the Utah Jazz.

Cleveland Cavaliers Bamboozled by Boozer
By Chad Ford
ESPN Insider

Money. Greed. Betrayal. Revenge. $52 million wedding gifts.

We had it all on Thursday. The NBA game itself may have enough problems to make it uninteresting to some. But you don't have a pulse if you haven't been enthralled with this summer's NBA free-agent wooing process. It's just a matter of time before NBATV gets involved in this thing and runs daily episodes in the morning to compete with the Days of Our Lives.

Soap opera writers can't make this stuff up.

On Wednesday morning Insider reported that Cavs GM Jim Paxson should be sweating bullets over the status of Carlos Boozer. By the afternoon, Insider was the first to report that the Jazz were on the verge of offering Boozer a six-year, $68 million deal that he would likely accept.

By Thursday night, Boozer had taken the money, the Cavs were essentially calling Boozer a liar, Paxson was sweating his job and Jazz GM Kevin O'Connor was cementing his status as the front-runner for executive of the year.

The Jazz's deal to Boozer may set the Cavs back years. I say "may" because the Cavs may not be out of this thing yet. They still have until July 29th to try to clear enough cap space to match the Jazz's offer. It's the only way for the Cavs. Talk of arbitration, lawsuits and the like are pointless.

When Paxson agreed to not pick up the team's third-year option for Boozer, he opened the door to something like this. Sources claim that it was Boozer's agent, Rob Pelinka, who asked the Cavs to not pick up the option. They also claim that there was a verbal deal in place with the Cavs for Boozer to sign a six-year, $41 million deal with the Cavs.

Carlos Boozer
Power Forward
Cleveland Cavaliers

2003-2004 SEASON STATISTICS
GM PPG RPG APG FG% FT%
75 15.5 11.4 2.0 .523 .768

The problem for Paxson is that there's no way to enforce it. If it was agreed to before July 1st, then it was an illegal agreement that would have caused the Cavs to be disciplined by the league and would've been voided. If it was agreed to after July 1st, it wasn't binding. Nothing is binding until the player movement moratorium is lifted on July 14th and players can begin officially signing contracts and offer sheets.

Can they clear the cap space? It's unlikely. Assuming there's a $46 million cap, the Cavs are roughly $2.5 million under the cap after signing Luke Jackson. Sources told Insider that the Jazz's offer sheet with Boozer is flexible enough that the team can and likely will front load the contract and then have it go down in the remaining years. When you add in a signing bonuses and the like, the Cavs may have to clear up to an additional $10 million to get far enough under the cap to match Boozer's offer.

To get that far under, the Cavs will have to try to trade several of their players to teams under the cap. Teams like the Hawks, Bobcats, Nuggets and possibly the Clippers still have money under the cap. The team could dangle players like Tony Battie, Dajuan Wagner and Kedrick Brown to those teams in an effort to clear the space. But it won't be easy. The Cavs cannot offer a first-round pick under league rules because they've already traded away their conditional first-round pick for next year (the Bobcats actually own it). That means they have to convince teams to take these players off their hands for nothing.

Just as importantly, do the Cavs even want to gut their team to bring back Boozer? After his betrayal, does the team really want to re-sign him? Boozer will be enemy No. 1 in Cleveland. Trading away all of the assets will set the club back anyway. In other words, the Cavs are damned if they do, damned if they don't with Boozer at this point.

If Pelinka and Boozer did verbally promise the Cavs that they would re-sign, then what they did was despicable. But I haven't talked to a GM in the league who would've opened the door the way Paxson did. GMs uniformly agreed on July 1st, when news first broke that the Cavs had agreed to not pick up the option, that it was a bad idea.

Verbal, wink-wink deals go on all the time in the NBA. But they rarely happen with an asset as valuable as Boozer -- especially when the Cavs were so limited in what they could do if the plan backfired. And let's stop the talk about how benevolent the Cavs were being by agreeing to pay Boozer more this year. They knew that they were getting him to agree to a long-term, below-market deal for added security next season. They had powerful financial motivations to let Boozer out and lock him up at a cheaper rate. No one in Cleveland wanted to pay him what the Jazz eventually offered.

"This is one of the biggest blunders I've ever seen in the business," one GM told Insider. "You've got to protect your assets. As a GM, I just don't know how I could explain this to my owner. I think the whole thing is depressing. It's tough to know who to trust these days. My guess is that this deal will fundamentally change the way we do business in the NBA. Teams don't like the 14-day waiting period because things like this can happen. I think you'll see a push to get rid of it. Had the Cavs been able to have deal in place for Boozer to sign on July 1 at 12:01 a.m, this never would've happened. The long wait opened the door."

Paxson may not be at fault the way Boozer and Pelink are here. But the bottom line is that he was the guy who opened the door to Boozer's exodus. If Boozer leaves, the franchise will be set back years. After making a promising run at the playoffs last season, the team suddenly is without a power forward, period. Let alone the one they had who averaged 11.4 rpg.

After the numerous mistakes Paxson has made in the draft (Trajan Langdon, DeSagana Diop and Dajuan Wagner to name three), in free agency (remember Ira Newble and Kevin Ollie's big deals last year) and trades (Andre Miller for Darius Miles, who was then traded for Jeff McInnis), how can Gordon Gund keep him in Cleveland? No one should be fired for one mistake, especially one that's caused by deceit and betrayl from another party. But when you look at the litany of problems Paxson has been part of Cleveland, he shouldn't be fired. He should do the right thing and resign.

As for the Jazz? The Boozer signing tops off a best-case scenario summer for the Jazz. The team needed bigs and it added three very promising big guys -- Boozer, Mehmet Okur and rookie Kris Humphries. They needed a potential star in the backcourt and got one in rookie Kirk Snyder. The Jazz neeeded to make these signings this summer. With Andrei Kirilenko looking for a huge extension this fall, this was Utah's last shot to spend a ton of money in free agency.

The Jazz have made some serious upgrades this summer and all of them look like perfect fits for Jerry Sloan's system. Barring injuries, I think the Jazz are a lock for the playoffs next season and could cause some damage in the West. In my mind, Kevin O'Connor has got to be the front-runner for executive of the year. Given the limitations in place in Utah, he's really made the most of what he can do.
Old 07-09-2004, 10:26 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
welcome to the steve nash club carlos boozer
Old 07-09-2004, 10:39 AM
Drifting

I thought Cavs decided not to pick up the 3rd year option so that they can match any offer Boozer receives from other teams... What's the point if they only have 2.5 mil under the cap???
Old 07-09-2004, 11:05 AM
Teh ?

like we said before... this is going to be a hella weird off season...

I guess now we know why K Mart cancelled his trip to Utah yesterday

Junkster, who wouldn't mind K Mart as a Nuggie
Old 07-09-2004, 11:17 AM
Keeping emos out of

Originally Posted by sipark
I thought Cavs decided not to pick up the 3rd year option so that they can match any offer Boozer receives from other teams... What's the point if they only have 2.5 mil under the cap???
They did it because he convinced the team to void the third year. Once it was voided, he was supposed to sign for their mid-level exception and get around $40 mil total for the contract. The Cavs are in a really tough situation now.
Old 07-09-2004, 11:21 AM
Teh ?

I think alot of teams and analysts are forgetting that the Nuggies are only second in the cap room race...

Utah is first with the most cap room... get ready for more moves.

Junkster, who think Utah's got some good things going for them
Old 07-09-2004, 11:24 AM
Keeping emos out of

It looks as if Utah is restocking and getting ready for another run in the West. I still wish that they would relinquish their rights to the Jazz nickname and give it back to the New Orleans Hornets. Why not change their name to the Salt Pioneers or something???
Old 07-09-2004, 11:38 AM
Drifting

They're waiting for the right moment to change their name to Mormons.
Old 07-09-2004, 11:45 AM
Teh ?

Utah Mormons... nice ring to it...

Seriously, they need to change their name, I think Jazz is illegal in the state of Utah.

Junkster, who likes Utah Bears
Old 07-09-2004, 07:14 PM
Keeping emos out of

The Utah Jazz, Military Intelligence, Happy Hooker, etc....
Old 07-10-2004, 12:38 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by accsuperstar
welcome to the steve nash club carlos boozer
Whoa whoa whoa my man. There is a major difference between Nash going to the Suns and Boozer going to the Jazz. One was honorable and the other lied his ass off. Do we really need to go into it further? Don't be so bitter. BTW, this guarantees the Mavs will never win shit. :fingerfawk:
Old 07-10-2004, 03:13 AM
Pro

boozer agent = smart. Lets see what is 3-5 percent of boozer's 68 million dollar contract. Now he's agent can buy another 360 modena. The cav's on the other hand stupid, after the kind of numbers boozer put up do they really think that no one is gona pay more then 40 million over 5 years for his services, retards. And do they really think in this day and age of bling bling boozer would take a 20 million dollar pay cut just to keep his word and stay with the Cavs. you can't blame boozer in this case though, he worked for his money and he deserves it, DON"T HATE THE PLAYER HATE THE GAME
Old 07-10-2004, 07:10 AM
Keeping emos out of

Originally Posted by ks112
boozer agent = smart. Lets see what is 3-5 percent of boozer's 68 million dollar contract. Now he's agent can buy another 360 modena. The cav's on the other hand stupid, after the kind of numbers boozer put up do they really think that no one is gona pay more then 40 million over 5 years for his services, retards. And do they really think in this day and age of bling bling boozer would take a 20 million dollar pay cut just to keep his word and stay with the Cavs. you can't blame boozer in this case though, he worked for his money and he deserves it, DON"T HATE THE PLAYER HATE THE GAME
There's not really much the Cavs can do in this situation except suck it up and move on. It was not a very smart move on Paxson's case to free him up from that third year of his contract. If they try to raise a stink with the league, then the Cavs will more than likely be punished because whatever agreement that they made with Boozer would be illegal because they can't legally come to an agreement until July 14. Either way this turns out, Paxson should be fired for this monumental screw-up.
Old 07-10-2004, 09:37 AM
Drifting

Actually, this is about the worst thing many execs and agents have ever seen. It is not Paxson's fault. This was a deal that Gordon Gund authorized and wanted to do. I don't care what you say, Boozer is a piece of shit. He went to Paxson and Gund and told them that if they respected him, they should let him out of his deal. He promised them he would show loyalty and re-sign.

What he did is complete horseshit. How do you abondon your teammates like that? Do you think his agent will ever be dealing with the Cavs again? Do you think that agent will EVER be trusted again? It's bad biz all around.
Old 07-10-2004, 10:18 AM
Three Wheelin'

The Cavs are partly to blame for the whole situation. The plan was to lock up Boozer for cheap, they weren't expecting Utah to offer some ridiculous contract. Boozer is lying bastard, but money talks and I would've done the same thing.

This offseason is all about overplaying people.... cap space has made teams go crazy.
Old 07-10-2004, 11:17 AM
Keeping emos out of

Originally Posted by Jason
Actually, this is about the worst thing many execs and agents have ever seen. It is not Paxson's fault. This was a deal that Gordon Gund authorized and wanted to do. I don't care what you say, Boozer is a piece of shit. He went to Paxson and Gund and told them that if they respected him, they should let him out of his deal. He promised them he would show loyalty and re-sign.

What he did is complete horseshit. How do you abondon your teammates like that? Do you think his agent will ever be dealing with the Cavs again? Do you think that agent will EVER be trusted again? It's bad biz all around.
I do agree with you that it's a bad business deal and makes Boozer looks bad, but what he did is not against the rules. He'll probably get booed in some arenas, especially Cleveland, and will have to deal with that. I must disagree that it's the worst thing many execs and agents have seen, do you remember Joe Smith and the Minnesota Timberwolves? They had an under the table deal too, until it was discovered and the NBA came down on them like a ton of bricks. The same thing will happen if Cleveland tries to take the case to the league. Lets face facts, under the table deals happen all the time in the NBA and I'm sure that teams have reneged as much or as more as players have. It's not an honorable thing to do if you're Boozer and his agent, but it's all part of the game.
Old 07-10-2004, 12:33 PM
Keeping emos out of

Boozer raises ethical question

Boozer, who agreed Thursday to sign a six-year, $68-million offer sheet with the Jazz next week, reportedly convinced the Cavaliers, who could have exercised a $695,000 option for next season, to make him a free agent instead by promising to sign a $40-million deal with Cleveland. Sports Illustrated writer Ian Thomsen, in a story on the magazine's Web site, said, "According to a source who was in the room at the time the verbal deal was struck, Boozer told [Cleveland owner Gordon] Gund, 'If you respect me by not picking up the option, I'll show trust and loyalty to you by signing with you.' " And I promise not to get any in your mouth or hair :bukkake:
Old 07-10-2004, 01:27 PM

$28 million more... Tough choice. Boozer and his agent are just smarter than the Cavs. Right or wrong, if you are in business it's hard to argue with a $28 million difference.
Old 07-10-2004, 01:59 PM
Pro

ya not shit man. 28 million dollars can make turn anyone into a lier. It was his agent that was behind the whole thing, and boy was he smart. And boozer is not a piece of shit player, I predict he will be an allstar in 2 years and for many years to come. It's said that see the lebron and boozer combo to go so quick but hey thats life.
Old 07-12-2004, 11:37 AM
Teh ?

bump...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1838165

Yes!!! Get rid of the worst player on our team for a great power forward, plus keep one decent one on the bench... brilliant!!!

Junkster, whose all pumped up now
Old 07-12-2004, 11:50 AM
Keeping emos out of

Originally Posted by Junkster
bump...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1838165

Yes!!! Get rid of the worst player on our team for a great power forward, plus keep one decent one on the bench... brilliant!!!

Junkster, whose all pumped up now
I don't know that Kenyon Martin is a great power forward. I'd definitely say that he's good, but there are at least 5 Power forwards in the Western Conference (Tim Duncan, Kevin Garnett, Zach Randolph, Dirk Nowitzi, Chris Webber, Amare Stoudamire) that are better than him. He will be a great addition to the Nuggets, if he signs, but i don't view him as a max contract type player. In order to justify that kind of contract, he's going to need to be a 20 points/10 rebounds per game player. So far, he has not been able to do that, but all the power forwards listed above can do it.
Old 07-12-2004, 12:29 PM
Drifting

Whoa whoa whoa my man. There is a major difference between Nash going to the Suns and Boozer going to the Jazz. One was honorable and the other lied his ass off. Do we really need to go into it further? Don't be so bitter. BTW, this guarantees the Mavs will never win shit. :fingerfawk:
Mark Cuban did offer him 50+ for 5 years and told him if anyone else offers him more (extreme in Cuban's mind), he should sign with them. What's Cuban supposed to do? Match that and give Nash max-like contract?
Old 07-12-2004, 12:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

We are better off without Nash in the long haul. Mavs > Suns anyday :fingerfawk:

steve nash is the liar here
Old 07-12-2004, 12:48 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by sipark
Mark Cuban did offer him 50+ for 5 years and told him if anyone else offers him more (extreme in Cuban's mind), he should sign with them. What's Cuban supposed to do? Match that and give Nash max-like contract?
yep.
Old 07-12-2004, 12:49 PM
Drifting

We are better off without Nash in the long haul. Mavs > Suns anyday :fingerfawk:

steve nash is the liar here
how did nash lie? you still haven't made a valid point. that and the mavs will be lucky to make the playoffs this year,
Old 07-12-2004, 12:50 PM
Teh ?

Originally Posted by goose25
I don't know that Kenyon Martin is a great power forward. I'd definitely say that he's good, but there are at least 5 Power forwards in the Western Conference (Tim Duncan, Kevin Garnett, Zach Randolph, Dirk Nowitzi, Chris Webber, Amare Stoudamire) that are better than him. He will be a great addition to the Nuggets, if he signs, but i don't view him as a max contract type player. In order to justify that kind of contract, he's going to need to be a 20 points/10 rebounds per game player. So far, he has not been able to do that, but all the power forwards listed above can do it.
True, K Mart isn't the all around PF that some of these other stars are (I don't know about Randolph yet, lets see this year)...

But even breaking down all these other PF, they aren't that impressive... (except of Timmy)

KG... not a true PF, a tweener.
Dirk... not a true PF, a tweener... plus no defense, no inside game.
C Webb... as much as this is ma boy, his knee injury this last year means that he's finally showing his mileage.
Amare... still suspect defense, not consistant.

K Mart is a true PF with interior defence on other true post players, able to run on breaks, and brings toughness which the Nuggs had none of...

Is he worth max, probably not... but with limited PF free agents, this might be the next best thing. Since every team is reloading for this next year, if you don't sign a big name, you're already out of the game.

Junkster, who also thinks getting rid of Nikoli is a plus in this deal
Old 07-12-2004, 01:12 PM
Pro

I just like it when k mart dunks and then starts screaming and then shows everyone he's heart by ripping his jersey down. i wonder if this means that nene is going to the bench?? cuz i thought nene had the potential to be a great player in the league, he's kinda like k mart strong and fierce. Well atleast melo won't have to worry about anyone picking on him next year cuz he's got back up now
Old 07-12-2004, 01:13 PM

i love seeing kmart when he runs the break and finishes it with flying dunks but his numbers are unimpressive considering he was in a undersized eastern conference
Old 07-12-2004, 01:18 PM
Teh ?

I do worry about Nene. He's still a bit of a project, but he's got all the natural talent to be much better. If he can get a decent mid range jumper added to his resume, he might be a good PF in the league. He's quick on his feet, and can run with the best of em...

But Kenyon does bring the toughness, which is hard to find in big men these days, for some reason...

Junkster, who also wants a shooting guard this off season
Old 07-12-2004, 02:13 PM
John Starks - The Dunk

The mavs would never have won $hit regardless....They have a bunch of talented players that are all over paid with no heart! Nash knew it and got out of there at the right time. IMHO at least
Old 07-12-2004, 02:17 PM
Keeping emos out of

I do worry about Nene. He's still a bit of a project, but he's got all the natural talent to be much better. If he can get a decent mid range jumper added to his resume, he might be a good PF in the league. He's quick on his feet, and can run with the best of em...

But Kenyon does bring the toughness, which is hard to find in big men these days, for some reason...

K-Mart does bring toughness but he also brings along the antics also. He will make the Nuggets a tougher team, no doubt, but i think their interests would be better served by adding a shooting guard such a Quentin Richardson or Jamal Crawford.
Old 07-12-2004, 02:17 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by yuhoo22
The mavs would never have won $hit regardless....They have a bunch of talented players that are all over paid with no heart! Nash knew it and got out of there at the right time. IMHO at least
Brilliant observation I might add...

BTW, where is John Starks anyway?
Old 07-12-2004, 02:18 PM
Drifting

K-Mart does bring toughness but he also brings along the antics also. He will make the Nuggets a tougher team, no doubt, but i think their interests would be better served by adding a shooting guard such a Quentin Richardson or Jamal Crawford.
Q is ours, all ours!

Unless LA matches...
Old 07-12-2004, 02:28 PM
Keeping emos out of

Q is ours, all ours!

Unless LA matches...
Naw, LA won't match, they're waiting on Therapist to make up his mind whether he will sign with the Clippers or the Lakers. Meanwhile, Q walks off whistling with his bags of money.
Old 07-12-2004, 03:37 PM
Pro

shooting guard hey. I thought ray allen was available. now that be sick line up, andre at point, ray at two, melo at three, k mart at four, and cambie at five with nene being the sixth man.
Old 07-12-2004, 03:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

how did nash lie? you still haven't made a valid point. that and the mavs will be lucky to make the playoffs this year,
cuban made a much higher offer than nash states he was offered. he came out and criticized mark after he made a post on his weblog explaining the reason of not resigning nash (which was very well written). I think his shady agent Duffy also played a role in this. sure Nash didnt make an agreement to sign with the mavs but he did state he wanted to retire a mav alongside dirk finley and what not. he made the decision so suddenly that makes it certain that the NBA is just a business, no loyalties when there is enough green, but that can be said about anything. don't worry the mavs will be in there for the playoffs next year. sure the mavs may never win a championship, but how many teams do? only 1 a year and those teams definately will not include phoenix or new york
Old 07-12-2004, 07:02 PM
Keeping emos out of

sure the mavs may never win a championship, but how many teams do? only 1 a year and those teams definately will not include phoenix or new york
Add the Lakers to that list also. I think that Cuban was scared away from bidding for Nash because of the value of the offer sheet from Phoenix and Nash's age. He's a good point guard, but would be a whole lot better if he ever tried to play some NBA caliber defense. His chances of winning a championship did not improve by moving to Phoenix, they actually declined.
Old 07-12-2004, 07:11 PM
Drifting

His chances of winning a championship did not improve by moving to Phoenix, they actually declined.
Old 07-12-2004, 07:46 PM
Drifting

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1838569

This is what I'm talking about!
Old 07-12-2004, 07:56 PM
Drifting

Wow... Now, Boozer doesn't even have to pay for the agent's commission. He so lucky!!!

Quick Reply: More NBA Offseason News