Sports Talk & Fantasy Leagues If you like men in tights, this is the spot to be!

More NBA Offseason News

Old 07-15-2004, 03:41 PM
Keeping emos out of

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dabuda2004
funny how their tallest player is now a unsigned draft pick at 6' 11 and biggest guy is b.grant at 254lbs

interesting to see how they do this year
Whoa, where's all that water coming from? Nevermind, it's just Chris Webber, Elton Brand, Zach Randolph, Amare Stoudamire, Yao Ming, Kevin Garnett, Dirk Nowitzi, etc. drooling at the sight of the Lakers roster next year.
Old 07-15-2004, 03:49 PM
Teh ?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yea... now Yao's just gonna have the nicest time in the west...
KG has nothing to fear when he posts up...
Elton can post up 50%more...

And every team can now double team Kobe and let him settle for jumpers. Plus, they can take it to the whole whenever they please on the Fakers.

Junkster, who thinks the west looks alot easier now
Old 07-15-2004, 03:49 PM
Keeping emos out of

yeah, esp since they're a "small" team now...the bulls were small but they had jordan

and kobe is def no jordan
No way man, the Bulls of the first and second Three-peat had height. On the first team:

Horace Grant, Stacey King, Bill Cartwright, Scott Williams

Second time around:

Luc Longely, Dennis Rodman, Big Bill Wennington

They were not the biggest team but you can't say that they were small either.
Old 07-15-2004, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by goose25
No way man, the Bulls of the first and second Three-peat had height. On the first team:

Horace Grant, Stacey King, Bill Cartwright, Scott Williams

Second time around:

Luc Longely, Dennis Rodman, Big Bill Wennington

They were not the biggest team but you can't say that they were small either.
thats true, when i was thinking of big i was thinking of shaq and yao big i guess

the bulls did have some 7 footers
Old 07-15-2004, 06:02 PM
Instructor

Wouldn't it be funny if Kobe did go to jail and what would happen to the 130 million dollar contract then?
Old 07-15-2004, 06:19 PM
Keeping emos out of

Originally Posted by TSXfan23
Wouldn't it be funny if Kobe did go to jail and what would happen to the 130 million dollar contract then?
I'm sure that there is a clause in the contract that protects the team in the event that he's convicted.
Old 07-15-2004, 06:28 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm sure that there is a clause in the contract that protects the team in the event that he's convicted.
jail insurance? I wonder if the extra $3 mil from the heat could buy that policy?
Old 07-16-2004, 06:25 AM
Keeping emos out of

Originally Posted by jlukja
jail insurance? I wonder if the extra $3 mil from the heat could buy that policy?
Old 07-16-2004, 06:44 AM
Race Director

Received 628 Likes on 506 Posts
It would be interesting what other weird fine print issues are in a typical contract.
Old 07-16-2004, 06:49 AM
Keeping emos out of

Originally Posted by biker
It would be interesting what other weird fine print issues are in a typical contract.
Most contracts prohibit skydiving, riding motorcycles, bungee jumping and most other life threatening sports. I'm suprised that the Lakers had no problems with Shaq when he was riding alongside the LA County Sheriff's department. Can you imagine if someone busted a cap in his big butt while he and his partner were doing a traffic stop?
Old 07-16-2004, 06:53 AM
Race Director

Riding bikes is a life threatening sport? I've seen NBA guys on bikes before.
I guess I gotta quit riding - not!!!
Old 07-16-2004, 09:49 AM
Keeping emos out of

Originally Posted by biker
Riding bikes is a life threatening sport? I've seen NBA guys on bikes before.
I guess I gotta quit riding - not!!!
Do you remember Jason Williams, the #2 pick in the 2002 draft by the Chicago Bulls? He wrecked a motorcycle and did extensive damage to his body and was extremely lucky that the Bulls brought out his contract and covered his medical bills.
Old 07-16-2004, 10:27 AM
Teh ?

There's also stipulations in contracts that players not play in non-team basketball games. There are many stipulations that they put into a player's contracts that we might not know of. I know Oliver Miller had that weird contract with the suns that had him required to weigh a certain weight or lower.

BTW, D-Fish just signed with Warriors for 6 year deal. Man, they are just throwing the long terms like they were trash.

Junkster, who thinks he needs a long term contract
Old 07-16-2004, 10:31 AM
Keeping emos out of

Originally Posted by Junkster
There's also stipulations in contracts that players not play in non-team basketball games. There are many stipulations that they put into a player's contracts that we might not know of. I know Oliver Miller had that weird contract with the suns that had him required to weigh a certain weight or lower.

BTW, D-Fish just signed with Warriors for 6 year deal. Man, they are just throwing the long terms like they were trash.

Junkster, who thinks he needs a long term contract
Did you know that the Suns terminated Oliver Miller's contract because they found out that he had rigged the special scale that they used to weigh him.
Old 07-16-2004, 10:32 AM
Three Wheelin'

6 years.. 37 million.. for 30 year old spot up 3 point shooter...
7.1 PPG, 2.3 APG.. man.. the warriors are
Old 07-16-2004, 10:32 AM
Teh ?

Did you know that the Suns terminated Oliver Miller's contract because they found out that he had rigged the special scale that they used to weigh him.
How sad... if he was playing baseball, he would have just been another first basemen or a pitcher...

Junkster, who wonders what other signings are in order
Old 07-16-2004, 10:35 AM
Keeping emos out of

Originally Posted by chinoz
6 years.. 37 million.. for 30 year old spot up 3 point shooter...
7.1 PPG, 2.3 APG.. man.. the warriors are
DAMN, that's a lotta cheddar for the Fish man. No way is he worth that much, but then again, it's been one screwy offseason.l
Old 07-16-2004, 10:57 AM
Teh ?

Outside the lines on espn had a great episode about the overpaying this off season.

Basically, there are great talents out there in the market, but after that, most are just mediocre players. The teams are obliged to make signings, so they have to sign whoever is available that makes the team look like they are making the effort.

Junkster, who likes the Nuggs front line
Old 07-16-2004, 11:00 AM
Race Director

Like some other bad deals that are only obvious later many of these will be like that.
Old 07-16-2004, 11:07 AM
Teh ?

but they did point out how everyone thought Chauncy Billups was overpaid in the last off season signings... but it looks all good now that he's a finals MVP.

Junkster, who thinks Brian Cardinal was a hidden gem
Old 07-16-2004, 11:09 AM

seems like there are a lot of bad contracts being signed this offseason

cant believe fish got that much
Old 07-16-2004, 11:10 AM
Teh ?

damn it, the Spurs signed Brent Barry!!!

The nuggets are running out of options for a swing man.

Junkster, who wonders if there's another deal in the works
Old 07-16-2004, 12:11 PM
Keeping emos out of

damn it, the Spurs signed Brent Barry!!!

The nuggets are running out of options for a swing man.

Junkster, who wonders if there's another deal in the works
Junkster that's what we get for expending so much energy on Kenyon Martin and not talking to any other free-agents. Voshon Lenard for another season as the starting 2 guard, no thanks.
Old 07-16-2004, 12:16 PM
Teh ?

Vo's cool in my books, but he aint a starting SG. I wanted someone to slash through defenses and play defense on the other team's SG. And now even Stephen Jackson is off the market...

Well, I guess that's it then.

Junkster, who would actually rather start John Barry
Old 07-16-2004, 03:19 PM
Teh ?

bump...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/column...arc&id=1841190

So, darius miles, huh? I don't like it, not a defensive minded player.

Junkster, who would like to ge rid of Skita though
Old 07-16-2004, 04:38 PM
Teh ?

Battier got a six year extension... now we're giving long term extensions for role players? I can understand free agents, but extensions?

Junkster, whose now seen it all
Old 07-16-2004, 06:25 PM
Keeping emos out of

bump...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/column...arc&id=1841190

So, darius miles, huh? I don't like it, not a defensive minded player.

Junkster, who would like to ge rid of Skita though
Darius Miles? He plays the same position as Melo and couldn't hit a 10 foot jump shot to save his life, plus he's not a defensive oriented player. Bad move KiKi
Old 07-17-2004, 10:11 AM
Keeping emos out of

Lakers may fall short in the Wild West

By Chad Ford
ESPN Insider

Kobe has his coach. Kobe has his $136 million contract. Kobe no longer has that 7-foot-1, 300-plus pound thorn in his side.

No wonder he looked so happy Thursday evening alongside GM Mitch Kupchak announcing he had decided to return to the Los Angeles Lakers.

Conventional wisdom has said all along returning to the Lakers was Kobe Bryant's only real option. The Lakers had more money, had bent over backward to accommodate him and had given him three rings and more prestige than any other team out there.

Bryant claimed, in the end, that the lure and mystique of the Lakers were too much to give up. The Lakers were in his heart -- especially a version that revolved around his every whim.

But 10 minutes after Bryant officially re-signed, reality crept in. He may not have liked Shaquille O'Neal personally, but Bryant acknowledged the Big Fella was the most dominant player in the game -- an irreplaceable inside force whose absence will turn the Lakers' quest for another championship into an "uphill battle."

On this point, there is no disagreement. Landing Bryant was a huge victory for the Lakers. But the battle has just begun. Forget for a second the Lakers' lack of a replacement for O'Neal. Just look at the rest of the Western Conference, then try to figure out where to place the Lakers.

The Minnesota Timberwolves and Sacramento Kings both had legitimate shots to go all the way last season -- and haven't made any major changes. The San Antonio Spurs likely will lose Hedo Turkoglu, but they replaced him with Brent Barry, and, in the process, added some much-needed 3-point shooting to balance out a devastating low-post attack.

The Dallas Mavericks suffered a huge setback when Steve Nash left, but owner Mark Cuban remains committed to overhauling his roster every six weeks, and trade rumors are flying all over the place concerning the Mavs. Even if Dallas does nothing, it's still a playoff team, albeit a seventh or eighth seed. If the Mavs land a legitimate center and a veteran point guard to help out rookie Devin Harris, they're right back in there with the Wolves, Kings and Spurs.

The Houston Rockets, meanwhile, added the second-best two guard in the league in Tracy McGrady. He now pairs with the most dominant big man in the West, Yao Ming. The team is a little thin at a few positions, but I still think the Rockets will earn anywhere from the fourth to sixth seed in the West.

The Denver Nuggets added an all-star power forward in Kenyon Martin, creating one of the strongest, most versatile front lines in the league. Carmelo Anthony and Nene Hilario will only get better with time. If they package the rest of their assets (Nikoloz Tskitishvili and a couple first-round picks) for a solid two guard, the Nuggets are going to take another big step forward.

Kobe Bryant
Once the games begin, will Kobe wish he still had Shaq at his side?
The Utah Jazz, a team that just missed the playoffs last season, added two huge pieces to their front line in Carlos Boozer and Mehmet Okur, and they did it without losing any significant players. If they stay healthy, they're a playoff team for sure and could be as a high as a sixth seed in the West.

That's seven teams that appear to be locks for the playoffs. Is Bryant sweating yet? Because we're not done.

The Memphis Grizzlies were the surprise team in the West last year. They haven't made any major improvements yet, but GM Jerry West is working the phones, trying to land center Erick Dampier. If West gets Dampier, or any other top center for that matter, the Grizzlies will be better than their sixth-seed run last season.

The New Orleans Hornets, a playoff team in the East last season, are moving to the West next season. They have one of the top point guards in the league in Baron Davis and an up-and-coming big man in Jamaal Magloire. If they're able to swap Jamal Mashburn for a player such as Wally Szczerbiak, you've got to like their chances, too.

Let's not forget the Phoenix Suns, either. They nabbed a veteran, all-star point guard in Nash and are still working on landing a center. If they get one, it's hard to believe a team with Nash, Amare Stoudemire, Shawn Marion and Joe Johnson finishes in the cellar. They, too, look like a playoff team, at least on paper.

And did we mention the lowly Los Angeles Clippers? They'll likely match the Suns' offer for Quentin Richardson and still have $8 million in cap space. If they use it to land a veteran point guard to mentor Shaun Livingston, they're going to be better, too.

The only two teams in the West that truly look clueless right now are the Seattle SuperSonics and the Golden State Warriors.

So where does that leave the Lakers? Is a No. 8 seed too generous? They have the best guard in the game in Bryant. Lamar Odom has the potential to be a top-10 player in the league if his head is on straight. Caron Butler also has potential, though I think he'll struggle in L.A. as the third or fourth option. Brian Grant is a warrior, but he plays on broken knees. That's not enough.

The Lakers are going to have to make some more moves if they really want to contend next season. They need a center in the worst way and will try to pursue one. Dampier is their target, but the Grizzlies, Mavericks, New York Knicks and Indiana Pacers are also in the scrum. Whichever comes up with the best sign-and-trade scenario with the Warriors probably keeps him.

The Lakers could offer Gary Payton and Devean George in such a deal. The appeal of Payton returning to the Bay will be enormous, but from a purely basketball standpoint, the Grizzlies and Mavs can do better. Vlade Divac also will receive strong consideration. On the trade and free-agent market, there's little else that makes a lot of sense.

The Lakers also will need another point guard. They have Payton and rookie Sasha Vujacic, but that won't be enough. Odom can take over the duties at times, but they likely will try to move Payton for a younger player. Still, the market is pretty bare for good points at the moment.

Once the euphoria of nabbing Bryant wears off, Kupchak has his work cut out for him. While Bryant makes everything in L.A. a little sweeter, it doesn't change the fact that the Lakers had to swallow a big poison pill the day before. O'Neal made everyone's life easier on the court. That's the bonus of having a big man who gets triple-teamed constantly. Slava Medvedenko just won't cut it. If they don't fix things quickly, the Lakers could realistically be playing for the lottery next season.
Old 07-17-2004, 10:25 PM
Pro

junkster and goose has to stop sweatin voshon lenard. He's a solid nba player he's one of the best shooters in the game and he can get his shot off against bigger guards. I personally think denver is gona be the most entertaining team to watch. Dre is gona be runnin the point with melo on lenard on the wing. Kmart and nene will handle the rough stuff inside and camby is gona block a ton of shots commin from the weakside. I wanna see denver vs minnisota in the western conference finals next year. Probably won't happen but it'd be nice.
Old 07-18-2004, 09:22 AM
Keeping emos out of

Originally Posted by ks112
junkster and goose has to stop sweatin voshon lenard. He's a solid nba player he's one of the best shooters in the game and he can get his shot off against bigger guards. I personally think denver is gona be the most entertaining team to watch. Dre is gona be runnin the point with melo on lenard on the wing. Kmart and nene will handle the rough stuff inside and camby is gona block a ton of shots commin from the weakside. I wanna see denver vs minnisota in the western conference finals next year. Probably won't happen but it'd be nice.
I'm not sweating him, but there are better two guards available. The Nugs are trying to sign Trenton Hassel from the Wolves to start ahead of Voshon. No matter how it goes, i'll be attending a few Nuggets games this year.
Old 07-18-2004, 02:24 PM
Pro

no way vashon is a better player then hassel. Hassel is great commin off the bench and hittin open shots. Voshon on the other hand is capable of dropping 30 points on any given night. Its true he's a little smaller then what you would like at the 2 spot but he makes up for that by knowing how to use his body and get shots up. He reminds me of joe dumars back in the day.
Old 07-18-2004, 06:36 PM
Keeping emos out of

Joe Dumars was one tough, classy player. I'll always give him props for staying on the floor and congratulating Da Bulls when they finally got by the Pistons in the Eastern Conference Finals.
Old 07-18-2004, 11:32 PM
Teh ?

First off...

Joe Dumars is one of the classiest and hardworking players during the great years. He deserves all the props he ever gets.

Now, I have no probs with Vo in a sense that he's a pretty good player. But, he's slow, spotty on defense, and, besides his 3's, he's a streak shooter at best. And for a guy at two guard, he can't create his own shot, which really sucks for the Nuggs because outside of Melo, no one is willing or able to create a shot by driving... okay, maybe dre, but I want a scoring guard who can keep an eye on the Kobe's and Ginobili's of the west, while putting up 15 and 5 EVERY NIGHT, which Vo hasn't shown me just yet.

I just want a slashing 2 guard, that's my wants list for me Nuggs.

Junkster, who thinks the Nuggs SHOULD make the second round this year
Old 07-19-2004, 12:56 PM
Teh ?

bump...

Air Canada is on the market, according to rumors, and the knicks are after him like a prom night nookie...

I wonder what TO could get in return.

Junkster, who heard knicks will give up anything besides Starbury
Old 07-19-2004, 12:59 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Are'nt the Knicks in salary cap hell?
Old 07-19-2004, 01:07 PM
Teh ?

Originally Posted by jlukja
Are'nt the Knicks in salary cap hell?
Yea, but if they can move a few players out, maybe Houston and his bloated contract, they could be a better suited team for improvement... especially next year, when the free agency market should be pretty good much like this year.

Junkster, who wonders what Isaiah has up his sleeve
Old 07-19-2004, 03:05 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Carter Speaks

TORONTO (CP) - Vince Carter finally talked, but had little to say.

The high-flying Raptors star was back in Toronto on Monday, but did little to dispel reports he's unhappy here and wants out. Nor would he confirm he wants to stay.

Carter insisted the reports of his discontent didn't come from him.

``It wasn't me, I didn't say a word, I haven't said a word,'' Carter said at his youth basketball camp. ``I'm not saying nothing, I'm just going to worry about this camp right now.

``I'm not into bashing, or into `he said this,' or I'm supposed to say this. I'm not going to get into it right now.''

Does he want to come back?

``I'm not going to get into it right now,'' Carter answered.

The reported unhappiness has been said to stem from Carter's belief he's been left out of the Raptors' off-season revamping of its front office and coaching staff.

Raptors rookie GM Rob Babcock has said numerous times Carter is in the team's plans, although admitting recently to trade talks.

``It'd be nice if I did know he wanted to be here,'' Babcock said last week. ``But don't control Vince, I can only control myself. . . My preference is to have Vince here. That's more up to him than it is to us.''

Carter was in good spirits Monday talking to a small group of reporters outside the high school gym housing his camp. It marked the first time the four-time NBA all-star had spoken to the Toronto media since the Raptors' season ended in mid-April.

People have had plenty to say in his absence. One story - quoting local businessman Nav Bhatia, a prominent Raptors fan and guest at Carter's wedding - claimed Carter wouldn't return to the Raptors unless Richard Peddie, president and CEO of Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment Ltd., consultant Jack McCloskey, and director of player personnel Jim Kelley, were all fired.

Carter's silence had only fuelled reports he wanted out of Toronto, but he does plan to clear the air soon.

``In due time. I'm definitely going to fill everybody in when it's time,'' said Carter, who will host his annual charity all-star game July 30th at the Air Canada Centre. ``I have nothing to say right now, but I promise in due time.''

Dallas and New York have been raised as possible destinations for Carter, with recent reports claiming he wished to be traded to an Eastern Conference team.

Carter heard plenty of trade scuttlebutt while on his week-long honeymoon in Maui - he married college sweetheart Ellen Rucker in Palm Beach, Fla., on July 3.

``People were calling me saying `did you hear this, did you hear that?''' said Carter.

The Raptors star insisted his current status with the team isn't weighing too heavy on him. For support, he talks often to the people closest to him - his wife Ellen, mother Michelle, agent Mark Steinberg of IMG, and his friends.

``I've talked to everybody about it, for comfort in their mind so they know what's going on. Not really in depth, because I can only tell them what I know, and there's not much right now,'' said Carter. ``There's a time and place for it, and I've had other things to worry about.''

Even if Carter wants a trade, it's easier said than done, with the NBA's stringent trade rules and his annual salary of $12.5 million US.

And just like his game, doesn't deliver much.
Old 07-19-2004, 03:13 PM

ooohhh...starbury and carter on the same team would be a highlight reel in the making but i dont see them winning many games
Old 07-19-2004, 03:17 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
ooohhh...starbury and carter on the same team would be a highlight reel in the making but i dont see them winning many games
The two most overated players in the NBA would'nt win much.

People have been waiting to hear from Vince fror some time now and now this.

Fortunately his silence is easy to expalin. All the tickets for his charity game at the ACC later this month havn't been sold yet. As soon as they are, let the trade demands begin.
Old 07-19-2004, 03:21 PM
Teh ?

Originally Posted by domn
And just like his game, doesn't deliver much.
Man, does that quote some up VC or what?

Junkster, who thinks VC won't shine no matter where he goes

Quick Reply: More NBA Offseason News