Sports Talk & Fantasy Leagues If you like men in tights, this is the spot to be!

Major League Baseball Thread 2006 Season

Old 09-27-2006, 12:08 AM

Received 162 Likes on 134 Posts
Originally Posted by Yumchah
Not my fault no one else here cheers for sports teams in Cincy...?

That's because it takes a real man to put up with a 15 year Bengals playoff drought and now 11 year Reds drought.
Old 09-27-2006, 12:12 AM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
oakland
Old 09-27-2006, 12:20 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,949 Likes on 14,062 Posts
Originally Posted by Scottman111
That's because it takes a real man to put up with a 15 year Bengals playoff drought and now 11 year Reds drought.
Real man...? HAH! Whatever...you haven't lived through the Blackhawks' drought of 45 years. And until last year, ChiSox? And the mother of all sports miseries: CUBS!

Wait...I winning a battle of losers.

Old 09-27-2006, 12:29 AM

Real man...? HAH! Whatever...you haven't lived through the Blackhawks' drought of 45 years. And until last year, ChiSox? And the mother of all sports miseries: CUBS!

Wait...I winning a battle of losers.

"Here's a quarter, call someone who cares...." Come on everybody, sing along

And the Blackhawks?? Go cry to your boyfriends over in the NHL thread if your looking for sympathy
Old 09-27-2006, 12:42 AM
Senior Moderator

"Here's a quarter, call someone who cares...." Come on everybody, sing along

And the Blackhawks?? Go cry to your boyfriends over in the NHL thread if your looking for sympathy

Hey...it's okay. At least my teams have won something at least once. I wonder if those Bungals ever won anything yet--aside from jailtime from the judge and stuff?
Old 09-27-2006, 12:53 AM
101 years of heartache...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scottman is trying to put us down. Understandable, since everyday he has to wake up knowing he's in the middle of CINCINATTI for god's sake

Cleveland is a hop, skip, and jump away my friend.
Old 09-27-2006, 01:00 AM

Hey...it's okay. At least my teams have won something at least once. I wonder if those Bungals ever won anything yet--aside from jailtime from the judge and stuff?

2006 = Year of the Bengals. I have a good feeling about it this time

And look at you, going right to our crime fodder for insults :shakehead Low blow, man...

:wink:
Old 09-27-2006, 01:03 AM
Senior Moderator

2006 = Year of the Bengals. I have a good feeling about it this time

And look at you, going right to our crime fodder for insults :shakehead Low blow, man...

:wink:
Hey man. You had to me when I was -ing over my miseries...

It'd be a great pickle if it was your Kittycats versus my Bears.

Last edited by Yumcha; 09-27-2006 at 01:05 AM.
Old 09-27-2006, 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by gocubsgo55
Scottman is trying to put us down. Understandable, since everyday he has to wake up knowing he's in the middle of CINCINATTI for god's sake

Cleveland is a hop, skip, and jump away my friend.

Across the river in Kentucky

And how do you guys like living so close to Michigan

<----- Patiently waits for the jokes about living in Kentucky.
Old 09-27-2006, 01:07 AM
Senior Moderator

Across the river in Kentucky

And how do you guys like living so close to Michigan

<----- Patiently waits for the jokes about living in Kentucky.
Suddenly, I hear banjo music.

Old 09-27-2006, 01:09 AM

Hey man. You had to me when I was -ing over my miseries...

It'd be a great pickle if it was your Kittycats versus my Bears.

So soon to forget about the drubbing you recieved last year??

And I think we've successfully combined the NFL and MLB threads into one
Old 09-27-2006, 01:11 AM

Suddenly, I hear banjo music.

It's called Bluegrass thank you very much!!!!
Old 09-27-2006, 01:18 AM
Senior Moderator

So soon to forget about the drubbing you recieved last year??

And I think we've successfully combined the NFL and MLB threads into one
Doesn't count.

Bears had no QB. And no offense.
Old 09-27-2006, 10:29 AM
Not Asian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
why Cardinals, why?
Old 09-27-2006, 11:37 AM
Benchwarmer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Oh whoa whoa whoa...WHOA.

This is between you and me, bucko. You keep him out of this. I don't need anything from the peanut gallery.

Ol' squirrel-face is already quite smug as it is...I don't need him to toss in his two-cents to the little discussion you and me are having.
You called?

I hope the White Sox continue this "Ozzieball" into the last weekend so the Twins can catch Detroit. And somehow the Reds are still alive. I'd rather see them than the Cardinals or Astros. Especially the Astros. Then we'd all have to watch Clemens' "last" game for the 5th time.

Gotta admit, I'd rather play Oakland than NY in the first round. To do that the Twins would have to gain 2 games on Detroit in the last 5 (correct me if I'm wrong). And I don't think anyone (else) wants the Twins to have home field throughout. Just my 2 acorns.
Old 09-27-2006, 11:41 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by IlliNorge
You called?

I hope the White Sox continue this "Ozzieball" into the last weekend so the Twins can catch Detroit. And somehow the Reds are still alive. I'd rather see them than the Cardinals or Astros. Especially the Astros. Then we'd all have to watch Clemens' "last" game for the 5th time.

Gotta admit, I'd rather play Oakland than NY in the first round. To do that the Twins would have to gain 2 games on Detroit in the last 5 (correct me if I'm wrong). And I don't think anyone (else) wants the Twins to have home field throughout. Just my 2 acorns.
Ah yes. Now my day's complete. Thank-you for adding some salt to my cut.

That being said, as much as I really dislike the Twins...I think they'll go all the way. They are my WS winners. But, believe me, I'll be cheering for the other team.
Old 09-27-2006, 12:35 PM
101 years of heartache...

so was Col. Sanders a Bunghols fan?
Old 09-27-2006, 12:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by gocubsgo55
so was Col. Sanders a Bunghols fan?
Well, he liked birds...so, I'm guessing either the Eagles, Falcons, Ravens, or Seahawks...?
Old 09-27-2006, 02:14 PM
Race Director

Justin Morneau is a punk because he said "I will do the best of my ability so that the White Sox won't get into the playoffs". I hope the White Sox beat his team w/o mercy this coming weekend. Torii Hunter is a punk too.

If the Twins lose, I won't feel sorry for them. They've had their chances in 2003 and 2004 and have won the central division 4 times the last 5 seasons. To me, they've choked in the playoffs. The White Sox had their opportunity to win it all in 2005 and they succeeded.

The same goes for the Cardinals. I won't feel sorry for them either. They've had their chance in 2004 and got swept by the Bo Sox. They're in danger of choking again to the Astros. I just wish the Cubs would seize their opportunity in the NL central like the White Sox did in the AL central, but nooooo...... they had to be the laughing stock of Chicago sports teams yet again this yr.
Old 09-27-2006, 02:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by 04EuroAccordTsx
Justin Morneau is a punk because he said "I will do the best of my ability so that the White Sox won't get into the playoffs". I hope the White Sox beat his team w/o mercy this coming weekend. Torii Hunter is a punk too.

If the Twins lose, I won't feel sorry for them. They've had their chances in 2003 and 2004 and have won the central division 4 times the last 5 seasons. To me, they've choked in the playoffs. The White Sox had their opportunity to win it all in 2005 and they succeeded.

The same goes for the Cardinals. I won't feel sorry for them either. They've had their chance in 2004 and got swept by the Bo Sox. They're in danger of choking again to the Astros. I just wish the Cubs would seize their opportunity in the NL central like the White Sox did in the AL central, but nooooo...... they had to be the laughing stock of Chicago sports teams yet again this yr.
Ah yes. Finally...the bitterness comes out from a Chicagoan.

I feel your pain, bud...and venom.

I believe the ChiSox will be back next year. There's no way Williams/Guillen will let what plagued them this year repeat next...I'm quite sure of it. Rumblings out of the rumor mill already say that either Vazquez or Garcia will be offered in a package for Willis from the Marlins...Tejada is also apparently on the radar. Of course, baseball rumors are as reliable as Bush's intel on Iraq...but, still worth noting.

As for the Cubbies...wow. Alot to fix. But, I'm all for a rebuilding year. They need it...and a chance to see what all the kids can do.
Old 09-27-2006, 03:00 PM
Benchwarmer

Morneau's comment was actually that he would rather see anybody in the playoffs but the White Sox. He followed that up by saying that if they miss the playoffs it would mean that the Twins got in. Sounds prophetic to me.

And Torii's a punk? He's had nothing but respectful things to say about the White Sox all year. He even said two days ago he picked them to win it all. Torii Hunter is a gamer. Not many of those on the south side this year.

The Twins lost in '03 and '04 to a couple of very good Yankees teams with 4 times their payroll. That's not choking. The White Sox avoided the Yankees last year. You want to see some choking? Try blowing an 11 game lead over the Twins this year with a team that was upgraded from last year's WS winning team. The White Sox had their opportunity to win it all in 2006 and they finished third in their division.
Old 09-27-2006, 03:27 PM
Race Director

Hunter's a punk because I remember back in 2005 Hunter did a cheapshot either on AJ when he was trying to steal home, plus he ripped Ozzie.

I think back in 2005 the White Sox had a winning record against the Yankees in the regular season and wish they did face the Yankees instead of the Angels last season's playoffs and beat them in a 7 game series to silence the critics.

I actually think the 2005 Sox squad had more hunger than the 2006 one did. Plus, Rowand and El Duque were key contributers to last yr's World Series victory. Rowand always hustled and caught leaping grabs and was a better outfielder than Brian Anderson. El Duque shut down the Red Sox in the division series. But, who knew that Frank Thomas was going to have a stellar comeback player of the year, which is why we traded Rowand for Thome and we thought Javier Vasquez was going to be good deal for El Duque.

I hope they trade Contreras/Vasquez for Dontrelle instead of Garcia. Freddy and Garland have been consistent. Buerhle just had a bad year. What do you guys think of Jenk, what happened to him?

The Sox also should've traded for Soriano and it would've been alright they traded McCarthy away for him.

While on the north side of town, I think the only solution there is to either have the pope visit Wrigley Field and reverse the curse or the Tribune needs to sell the Cubs.
Old 09-27-2006, 03:39 PM
Senior Moderator

Hunter's a punk because I remember back in 2005 Hunter did a cheapshot either on AJ when he was trying to steal home, plus he ripped Ozzie.

I think back in 2005 the White Sox had a winning record against the Yankees in the regular season and wish they did face the Yankees instead of the Angels last season's playoffs and beat them in a 7 game series to silence the critics.

I actually think the 2005 Sox squad had more hunger than the 2006 one did. Plus, Rowand and El Duque were key contributers to last yr's World Series victory. Rowand always hustled and caught leaping grabs and was a better outfielder than Brian Anderson. El Duque shut down the Red Sox in the division series. But, who knew that Frank Thomas was going to have a stellar comeback player of the year, which is why we traded Rowand for Thome and we thought Javier Vasquez was going to be good deal for El Duque.

I hope they trade Contreras/Vasquez for Dontrelle instead of Garcia. Freddy and Garland have been consistent. Buerhle just had a bad year. What do you guys think of Jenk, what happened to him?

The Sox also should've traded for Soriano and it would've been alright they traded McCarthy away for him.

While on the north side of town, I think the only solution there is to either have the pope visit Wrigley Field and reverse the curse or the Tribune needs to sell the Cubs.
Well, about Torii Hunter, I gotta disagree with you. As much as I dislike the guy (it's really cuz he's a Twin), he's a gamer. That "cheapshot" you are referring to is probably that hard slide he did into AJ during a game the two teams had last year. It was not cheap but rather a clean slide. Even Guillen said so...What was lame about that--and what contributed to the departures of players like Thomas, Lee, and etc.--was how the Sox responded to that move: a shrug. Guillen was furious that his team didn't get fired up...

Now...there was no way that any of us could have predicted this year's version of blowing up unless you're that idiot, Jay Mariotti, who thinks spending a trillion dollars is the only way to win. El Duque and a good prospect (I forget his name) was given up and we got Vazquez...this was a move nearly everyone applauded. Vazquez is still young and has shown to be a very talented pitcher who just needed to put it together...as a #5 pitcher, if you ask me today, I'd still take him over Duque esp. on most teams, Javier would be an ace or number 2.

Jenks...? I think he's going to be a keeper. However, he picked a very bad part of the year to go into a funk when he blew those 3 games all so close together.

And now...the one thing I'm annoyed about is McCarthy. The guy was apparently the dealbreaker for Soriano and so far this year, the kid has given nothing but losses for the Sox in relief. I hope the Sox are seeing something I'm not cuz to me, that's where they blew it.

The rest? A crapshoot and all who'd-a-thought stuff.
Old 09-27-2006, 04:02 PM
Benchwarmer

Torii Hunter ran over Jamie Burke two years ago tagging up on a fly ball. A clean, aggressive play endorsed by Guillen. Yes, it did lead to Lee packing his bags and it gave the Twins a lead in the division they never relinquished. Torii has never been critical of Guillen. I used to be, but everything he says and does now makes sense to me. He's a decent manager. And you KNOW he would love to manage the Twins.

One thing about the White Sox: no personality. No good interviews. No pranksters. Just a bunch of Joe Credes. It would be hard to root for them even if they weren't in Chicago. And your announcers make the game hard to watch. Harrelson continues to harp on how the White Sox lead the free world in home runs and grand slams. They just don't play good team baseball. The Twins games are just more fun. A lot of their players were like the guys down the hall in college. Nick Punto, Mike Redmond, Jason Tyner? These guys couldn't refill the Gatorade for the Yankees. But I'll take them over Sheffield and Giambi any day to root for.
Old 09-27-2006, 04:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Torii Hunter ran over Jamie Burke two years ago tagging up on a fly ball. A clean, aggressive play endorsed by Guillen. Yes, it did lead to Lee packing his bags and it gave the Twins a lead in the division they never relinquished. Torii has never been critical of Guillen. I used to be, but everything he says and does now makes sense to me. He's a decent manager. And you KNOW he would love to manage the Twins.

One thing about the White Sox: no personality. No good interviews. No pranksters. Just a bunch of Joe Credes. It would be hard to root for them even if they weren't in Chicago. And your announcers make the game hard to watch. Harrelson continues to harp on how the White Sox lead the free world in home runs and grand slams. They just don't play good team baseball. The Twins games are just more fun. A lot of their players were like the guys down the hall in college. Nick Punto, Mike Redmond, Jason Tyner? These guys couldn't refill the Gatorade for the Yankees. But I'll take them over Sheffield and Giambi any day to root for.
Well, no...last year, the ChiSox apparently had the camadarie you're alluding to that the Twins have. In one word: "chemistry". But, meh...you have chemistry when you're winning and you have fun (with the exception of the Yankees and that's another story). Tell me: how much "fun" were your Twins having when they were near cellardwellers at the beginning of the year? I remember watching a televised game against the ChiSox and your team looked pretty "meh" to me.

The ChiSox this year were tired and worn down from their WS run and some from the Seligball. And their keys that worked for them last year: Pods at leadoff and reliable pitching somehow went out the door...and again, some can be attributed to the WS and etc. No excuses...cuz, they choked IMO...but, the evidence speaks for itself.
Old 09-27-2006, 04:13 PM
Senior Moderator

And oops...Squirrelface is correct about Burke being the person Hunter bowled over...it wasn't AJ.
Old 09-27-2006, 04:20 PM
Benchwarmer

Well, no...last year, the ChiSox apparently had the camadarie you're alluding to that the Twins have. In one word: "chemistry". But, meh...you have chemistry when you're winning and you have fun (with the exception of the Yankees and that's another story). Tell me: how much "fun" were your Twins having when they were near cellardwellers at the beginning of the year? I remember watching a televised game against the ChiSox and your team looked pretty "meh" to me.

The ChiSox this year were tired and worn down from their WS run and some from the Seligball. And their keys that worked for them last year: Pods at leadoff and reliable pitching somehow went out the door...and again, some can be attributed to the WS and etc. No excuses...cuz, they choked IMO...but, the evidence speaks for itself.
That's the thing. I remember that 3-game sweep in April or May and they looked like crap. But they were still hanging on that dugout rail like they knew something we didn't. And even when the White Sox were winning they still looked, dare I say it, robotic.
Old 09-27-2006, 04:26 PM
Senior Moderator

That's the thing. I remember that 3-game sweep in April or May and they looked like crap. But they were still hanging on that dugout rail like they knew something we didn't. And even when the White Sox were winning they still looked, dare I say it, robotic.
They did...? Don't think so...not with Ozzie in the dugout. He's always flapping his lips and making jokes with his players.

Well, whatever. Just read Mariotti's column...wow, this guy needs to be slapped. A team that plays in MLB's toughest division and still will pull off close to 90 wins is an embarassment...!??!!??
Old 09-27-2006, 04:49 PM
Benchwarmer

They did...? Don't think so...not with Ozzie in the dugout. He's always flapping his lips and making jokes with his players.

Well, whatever. Just read Mariotti's column...wow, this guy needs to be slapped. A team that plays in MLB's toughest division and still will pull off close to 90 wins is an embarassment...!??!!??
Ozzie was very animated. But were his players animated on the field? It looked like they were trying hard to look like the Yankees. The White Sox weren't an embarassment, though. The Astros at 1 game over looking at a division title....that's embarassing.

Mariotti....
Old 09-27-2006, 04:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Ozzie was very animated. But were his players animated on the field? It looked like they were trying hard to look like the Yankees. The White Sox weren't an embarassment, though. The Astros at 1 game over looking at a division title....that's embarassing.

Mariotti....
If I ever need to get annoyed...I read one of Jay's columns. Worst...columnist...ever.

No wonder athletes and team execs in Chicago loathe the guy. He's terrible. This was the same asshat that was screaming at the ChiSox last year prior to the start of the season for their moves and oops...they won it all.

The minute something does not go right...for one period...one game. He goes off. Chicken Little, if I knew one.
Old 09-27-2006, 07:03 PM
Race Director

Why is Mariotti in Chicago if he criticizes both the Cubs and White Sox?
Old 09-27-2006, 08:37 PM
Senior Moderator

Why is Mariotti in Chicago if he criticizes both the Cubs and White Sox?
Hey...where criticism is due, it's due. But, his is stupid second-guesswork and rants way after the fact.

The best case in point was today's column on how the ChiSox are an "embarassment". WTF. A team in the hardest division that kept up with two very good clubs? A team that's going to get around 90 wins? A team that boasts 4 players with 30+ HRs...? A team with an MVP candidate in Dye and Comeback candidate in Thome...?

Embarassment my @$$. Mariotti =
Old 09-27-2006, 10:18 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,315 Likes on 968 Posts
Why would the Fish want Contreras and Vasquez? Especially with that salary.
Old 09-27-2006, 11:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Doom878
Why would the Fish want Contreras and Vasquez? Especially with that salary.
No idea. Like I said, early rumors...nothing more.

But, I'm expecting a few big moves on the part of the ChiSox...Williams is not the type to sit still.
Old 09-28-2006, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by phipark
why Cardinals, why?

Here I am giving up on the Reds weeks ago, then all this happens. Crazy, but that's baseball.
Old 09-28-2006, 12:16 AM
Tristate ViP Crew

I think Pedro is done..he needs to retire.
Old 09-28-2006, 08:49 AM
Team Owner

Received 602 Likes on 419 Posts
Originally Posted by CL Platano
I hate to say it, but maybe you're partly right. He at least needs to take better care of himself in the off-season. Coming to spring training about 15 lbs heavy couldn't have helped his legs any. I say figure it out, shut him down and let him rest for next season.

I'm getting really worried that the METS are not going to make it to the World Series, much less past the first round with their starting rotation.
Old 09-28-2006, 09:02 AM
Not Asian

Pujols for MVP.
Old 09-28-2006, 09:05 AM
Benchwarmer

Originally Posted by phipark
Pujols for MVP.
It took him about a minute and a half to get to first base after that HR. A little tension in Saint Louey?
Old 09-28-2006, 09:11 AM
Masshole

Originally Posted by CL Platano
And that's why the Sox didn't give him the 4 years he wanted. No way he's gonna make it that long.

Quick Reply: Major League Baseball Thread 2006 Season