Sports Talk & Fantasy Leagues If you like men in tights, this is the spot to be!
View Poll Results: Is your team in cap hell?
Yes
0%
No
0%
Don't care
0%
Go Nordiques!
0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Hockey: News and Discussion Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 01:25 PM
Interesting. Interesting.

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey - my "buddy" was a Pens fan who was down on Ovechkin.

STFU dom, you had some sort of deal with fdl at the end of the season that year. Your trade was total collusion.
Old 10-02-2008, 01:49 PM
Unofficial Goat

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts
Originally Posted by dom
I don't either.

But its all in the name of building the NHL so they can expand into Europe. In the mean time about 10 teams are unofficially for sale here. And Ballsillie is planning on buying all of em so he can move at least one to Hamilton.
hopefully he gets his wish sometime this millenia.
Old 10-02-2008, 02:37 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by wstevens
STFU dom, you had some sort of deal with fdl at the end of the season that year. Your trade was total collusion.

I forgot about the vengeful trade that went down.. Dom and FDL were conspiring to take down Stevens.. Think Dom gave half his team away for Hartnell or something.. That was a classic season..
Old 10-02-2008, 02:39 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,947 Likes on 14,061 Posts
Old 10-02-2008, 02:51 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Hey - my "buddy" was a Pens fan who was down on Ovechkin.

I have no idea of that which you speak.
Old 10-02-2008, 03:32 PM

It's a shame that fdl isn't around to partake in this year's chicanery. The guy had a good eye for fantasy hockey. Unfortunately, he was also an underhanded, lying, greasy guinea cunt.
Old 10-02-2008, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Jonesi
Don't forget when Stevens traded with his "buddy".. what was it? Avery for Ovechicken or something like that...
Now you're being ridiculous. I'll have you know it was Paul Kariya for Ovechkin.

Old 10-02-2008, 04:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Now you're being ridiculous. I'll have you know it was Paul Kariya for Ovechkin.

^ haven't used that smiley in a Long time..
Old 10-02-2008, 04:05 PM
Senior Moderator

It's a shame that fdl isn't around to partake in this year's chicanery. The guy had a good eye for fantasy hockey. Unfortunately, he was also an underhanded, lying, greasy guinea cunt.

he hooked me up with a nice trade last year..
Old 10-02-2008, 06:40 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Bulin to Russia?

We touched on this in the live rumors chat yesterday, and now it appears the MSM has picked up on the possibility of Nikolai Khabibulin ending up in the KHL, allowing the Chicago Blackhawks to cut the anchor on his $6.75 million salary. From Sportsnet:

If a deal is reached, Chicago could knock the value of the final year on Khabibulin's contract, worth US$6.75 million, off their salary cap. Furthermore, the NHL team could have most if not all of the remaining salary paid by the borrowing club. Sources say negotiations are ongoing and it has not been determined which KHL team would end up with his services. The inside track may belong to HC Dinamo Minsk in Belarus where it's believed Khabibulin has family.

What Sportsnet fails to mention is the obvious precedent for this: Darius Kasparaitis, who was loaned to SKA St. Petersburg of the Russian Super League by the New York Rangers back in 2007.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...urn=nhl,112121
Old 10-03-2008, 10:27 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Too bad he's not here to defend himself.
Old 10-03-2008, 07:27 PM
Go B's Go

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just reading how NHL Network will broadcast over 70 games this season in HD, have Hockey Night in Canada doubleheader's every Saturday night etc.

Checked if Verizon gets the channel...for some reason I already figured what the answer would be....no Why why why why??
Old 10-03-2008, 08:44 PM
Let's Go Pens

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Directv FTW!!!
Old 10-05-2008, 01:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Is it just me or is anyone not seeing the opponents your players are up against for the next week?

It's already Sunday and I cannot see the opponents my roster is playing for Monday...?
Old 10-05-2008, 01:38 PM
Missing My CL-S

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Yumchah
Is it just me or is anyone not seeing the opponents your players are up against for the next week?

It's already Sunday and I cannot see the opponents my roster is playing for Monday...?
that's b/c there aren't any games til Thursday Oct 9
Old 10-05-2008, 01:47 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by SG81
that's b/c there aren't any games til Thursday Oct 9

Okay, yeah...I blame the Cubs' sweep from yesterday. I'll um...go sit in the corner. Yeah.

Scuse me.
Old 10-06-2008, 01:16 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Honda Becomes Official Vehicle of the NHL
3-year sponsorship supports hockey in the U.S. and Canada Text Only NHL_sponsorship_Rls.doc
10/06/2008 - TORRANCE, Calif. -

American Honda Motor Co., Inc., Honda Canada, Inc., and the National Hockey League (NHL) have entered into a 3-year agreement naming Honda as the official vehicle of the NHL, the companies announced today. Elements of the agreement include Honda sponsorship of NHL television and Internet coverage along with active participation at NHL events in both the United States and Canada, such as NHL Face-Off Rocks 2008, NHL Winter Classic and NHL All-Star Weekend.

"With more than 53 million fans in the United States and Canada, the NHL is a big part of the sports landscape in North America," said Steve Center, vice president of advertising and public relations for American Honda. "Honda has a long history of supporting sports at all levels worldwide, and working with the NHL will give Honda a great opportunity to become an even bigger part of the hockey experience."

"This partnership integrates the leading brand in the automotive industry with the strength, momentum and excitement of the NHL brand," said Keith Wachtel, the NHL's senior vice president of corporate sales and marketing. "We are excited to have Honda as part of every major NHL platform while strengthening partnerships with NHL member clubs."

The 3-year agreement with the NHL includes provisions for advertising on NHL.com and during game broadcasts, camera-visible signage during games and events, on-site displays of Honda vehicles at select events, and much more. Honda began its involvement with hockey when it became the presenting sponsor of the Honda Center, home of the Anaheim Ducks, in 2006.

About the NHL
The National Hockey League, founded in 1917, is the second-oldest of the four major professional team sports leagues in North America. Today, the NHL consists of 30 Member Clubs, each reflecting the League's international makeup, with players from more than 20 countries represented on team rosters. According to a Simmons Market Research study, NHL fans are younger, more educated, more affluent, and access content through digital means more than any other sport. The NHL entertains more than 100 million fans each season in-arena and through its partners in national television (VERSUS, NBC, TSN, CBC, RDS, RIS, NASN, ASN and NHL Network) and radio (Westwood One, Sirius XM Radio and XM Canada). Through the NHL Foundation, the League's charitable arm, the NHL raises money and awareness for Hockey Fights Cancer and NHL Youth Development, and supports the charitable efforts of NHL players. For more information on the NHL, log on to NHL.com.
Old 10-06-2008, 01:43 PM
Unofficial Goat

^ That means tickets should be coming my way!

Edit: btw I went to the game yesterday and the leafers sucked as per usual, it's going to be a long season for leafs fans. (Glad I'm not one of them). Also booorns to Rogers and their crappy programming, In order to get NHL Center Ice (so I can watch the wings) you have to order the whole sports pack to the tune of 29.99/month.

Last edited by The Dougler; 10-06-2008 at 01:45 PM.
Old 10-06-2008, 01:47 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

You work at Honda?
Old 10-06-2008, 01:48 PM
Unofficial Goat

Originally Posted by dom
You work at Honda?
Used too, but my old man still does.

When they used to be the official car of the Blue Jays Mid 90's we used to get tickets left right and center, even now they are still pretty common around the office. Hopefully leafs tickets are the same deal.
Old 10-06-2008, 03:12 PM
Senior Moderator

:ibtvenomandspewaboutuglycarsatNHLgamesnow:
Old 10-06-2008, 03:54 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

:ibtvenomandspewaboutuglycarsatNHLgamesnow:
At least it's not Acura
Old 10-07-2008, 09:58 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Howard Berger's most recent blog.

TORONTO (Oct. 6) – Prior to watching the Maple Leafs during their nine-game exhibition schedule, I had been slightly wavering about where they could fit among the NHL’s bottom- feeders this season. But, there is no longer any question.

Hold onto your hats, Leafs Nation. For the first time in 24 years, the Blue & White will be looking up at the rest of the league when the regular season ends on Apr. 12th. Not since 1984-85 have the Leafs finished dead-last in the NHL, but the plan by management this summer to scale back in the interests of ultimately moving forward will bear spectacular results.

And, nothing could be more beneficial for the long-term welfare of the franchise.

The Leafs will place 30th among 30 teams and the only question to be answered is whether they will break the post-lockout record for fewest points in a season. The Philadelphia Flyers hold that distinction with a 56-point showing in 2006-07. In fact, that remains the fewest number of points accrued by any team since Atlanta had 54 in 2001-02. Coincidentally or not, the Leafs 2-5-2 exhibition mark this autumn places the club on a collision course with Philadelphia’s dubious honor of two years ago. Multiplying the Leafs’ preseason effort over 82 games results in a record of 18-45-19 for 55 points. That is a colossal 16 points less than the worst team in the NHL last season. Tampa Bay brought up the rear with 71 points and won the draft lottery.

Could the 2008-09 Maple Leaf bottom out to that degree? Absolutely.

Will they bottom out to that degree? Maybe not.

Goaltending and an improved defensive posture under new coach Ron Wilson might enable the Leafs to approach Tampa’s accumulation of a year ago. But, after further consideration, I’m not certain that 70 points is attainable [as I suggested in my previous blog]. Toronto should, however, partake in a ferocious, season-long battle with the Islanders, Atlanta and Los Angeles to see which team actually finishes in 30th spot. As such, the immediate future of the franchise will be largely dependent on nine games this season – four with the Islanders [Dec. 8th, Dec. 26th, Feb. 26th, Mar. 10th]; four with Atlanta [Nov. 25th, Dec. 22nd, Dec. 30th, Jan. 16th], and the lone meeting with the Kings, Dec. 1st, at the Staples Center. If the Leafs can limit their accumulation to no more than seven or eight out of 18 points during these games [a very real possibility], either John Tavares or Victor Hedman will almost certainly be theirs next June 26th in Montreal. And, the club will finally be heading in the proper direction.

This has been the plan ever since Cliff Fletcher assumed the managerial reigns from John Ferguson last January. It has become increasingly difficult to dissuade followers of the Maple Leafs through the years, as a crack over the head with a mallet wouldn’t be sufficient to cloud the rose-colored glasses indigenous to this tribe. In modern professional sport, only fans of the Chicago Cubs are comparable among those willing to absorb infinite punishment. As with the Cubs, force of habit and gullibility have been the Maple Leafs’ greatest allies.

But, Fletcher, ever the diplomat and keenly aware of the unshakeable love for his team, has refrained from offering to the public his most portentous thoughts – choosing, instead, to say things like “We hope to be better in December than we are today, and better in February than we are in December.”

Fletcher’s actions of the past nine months, however, speak louder than his conciliatory words. He finds himself in the most envious position of any GM in the history of the club. His lucrative contract, at post-retirement age 73, expires next August, prior to the 2009-10 NHL season, and he therefore has almost no burden to engender an improved product on his watch. It is the complete antithesis of the crushing strain felt on a minute-to-minute basis by Ferguson, whose inexperience and obligation to a meddling board produced a bevy of ruinous decisions. Fletcher, conversely, has the abetment required to put into action a formula consistent with the post-lockout model in the NHL. And, it has long been evident that the up-coming season is not at all beholden to that blueprint.

Without the presence of Mats Sundin to make a dreadful club just terrible, the Leafs will finally slide, unconstrained, to the depths of the 30-team league. For at least one year, it seems as if the ownership pyramid at Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment is willing not to encumber its hockey department with guidance and brainpower – the sort that has positioned the club, in recent years, to scramble for the eighth and final playoff spot in the Eastern Conference. Condominium sales being what they are, MLSE hasn’t even budgeted for playoff dates next spring at the Air Canada Centre. Given the Leafs’ immediate potential, of course, that’s the rough equivalent of department stores in the Bahamas refusing to budget for parkas.

This is going to be – by design – a long, difficult season for the Maple Leafs; more so for their legion of supporters, who won’t have much to cheer about unless they keep one eye focused on the future. The process followed by the club in recent years couldn’t have been more damaging. The Leafs had neither the capacity to qualify for the playoffs, nor the foresight to understand that wallowing on the fringe of contention was the worst possible strategy. As such, we get the actions of this past summer, when the GM runs off almost all of the club’s best [yet overpaid, underachieving] players, and replaces them with younger, bargain-priced commodities, mostly devoid of pedigree.

What it amounts to is a club that will score among the least number of goals in the NHL, and will easily threaten Philadelphia’s post-lockout standard of fewest points in a season if Vesa Toskala spends any length of time on the injury list. Off the ice, the Leafs’ biggest challenge will be tolerating another brutal season in one of the NHL’s most intense markets. And, undoubtedly, dealing with mixed signals from a disillusioned public. I’m still amazed by the number of Leaf fans that write and tell me they’ll be pleased if the club “overachieves” this season and contends for a playoff spot; as if the folly of the past three seasons hasn’t even registered.

The only way up for the hockey club right now is down.

That’s why you can be sure that less is more for the Maple Leafs in 2008-09.

It will be the polar opposite for the Leafs’ legendary rival, the Montreal Canadiens. Though it’s difficult to pick against the loaded Red Wings, my sense is Detroit will lose just a slight edge in the playoff marathon next spring, being the defending champion. That’s all it will take for the Habs – led by Bob Gainey, the best GM in the Eastern Conference – to commemorate their 100th season in the NHL with their first Stanley Cup triumph since 1993.

So, having the benefit of exhibition play now behind us, and with injuries factored in, this is undoubtedly, unequivocally and with scientific certainty the way the standings will shape up in the coming season:

EASTERN CONFERENCE

1. MONTREAL 107 points

2. WASHINGTON 102 points

3. NEW YORK RANGERS 100 points

4. PITTSBURGH 98 points

5. PHILADELPHIA 97 points

6. BOSTON 94 points

7. NEW JERSEY 92 points

8. OTTAWA 90 points

9. TAMPA BAY 89 points

10. CAROLINA 88 points

11. BUFFALO 87 points

12. FLORIDA 84 points

13. ATLANTA 76 points

14 NEW YORK ISLANDERS 71 points

15. TORONTO 67 points

NOTES: Defenseman Sergei Gonchar is an incalculable loss for the Penguins, as he orchestrates so much of the attack from the defensive zone, and quarterbacks the powerplay. His absence will enable the New York Rangers to grab their first division title since 1993-94, the year they last won the Stanley Cup… The Penguins won’t make it past the opening round of the playoffs, as Philadelphia will avenge last year’s defeat in the Conference final… The Rangers, with the brilliant Henrik Lundqvist in goal, will knock off the Bruins and Capitals before being edged by Montreal for a berth in the Stanley Cup… On the final Saturday of the regular season, Tampa Bay will suffer a dreadful loss in Atlanta, while Ottawa will hand the Maple Leafs yet another defeat. That will give the Senators the final playoff berth over the resurgent Lightning.

WESTERN CONFERENCE

1. DETROIT 111 points

2. SAN JOSE 107 points

3. CALGARY 100 points

4. ANAHEIM 103 points

5. DALLAS 99 points

6. CHICAGO 96 points

7. MINNESOTA 93 points

8. EDMONTON 91 points

9. PHOENIX 90 points

10. VANCOUVER 88 points

11. COLORADO 87 points

12. NASHVILLE 83 points

13. ST. LOUIS 81 points

14. COLUMBUS 78 points

15. LOS ANGELES 70 points

NOTES: With Scott Niedermayer and Teemu Selanne back in the fold from the outset, the Ducks will give Toronto-bound Brian Burke a wonderful parting gift by reaching the Conference championship and taking Detroit to the brink. Ultimately, the Red Wings will survive to re-appear in the Stanley Cup final against Montreal – the first such match-up since 1966… Hearts will be broken in Phoenix on the final Saturday of the regular season when the Oilers knock off Calgary and the Coyotes lose to Anaheim. That combination will give Edmonton the final playoff spot in the West by a single point over Wayne Gretzky’s crew. But, the Coyotes won’t miss the post-season in any of the next three years… San Jose will again underachieve in the spring – struggling to shade Minnesota in the first round before losing to Anaheim… The Blackhawks will continue their rise and make the playoffs for the first time since 2002. Then they’ll surprise Calgary in the opening round before losing a pre-expansion match-up with Detroit… Nashville will finally tumble out of playoff contention.

PLAYOFFS:

EAST

MONTREAL vs. Ottawa [Canadiens in 5]

WASHINGTON vs. New Jersey [Capitals in 6]

NEW YORK RANGERS vs. Boston [Rangers in 6]

PITTSBURGH vs. Philadelphia [Flyers in 7]

MONTREAL vs. Philadelphia [Canadiens in 6]

WASHINGTON vs. New York Rangers [Rangers in 7]

MONTREAL vs. New York Rangers [Canadiens in 6]

WEST

DETROIT vs. Edmonton [Red Wings in 6]

SAN JOSE vs. Minnesota [Sharks in 7]

CALGARY vs. Chicago [Blackhawks in 7]

ANAHEIM vs. Dallas [Ducks in 6]

DETROIT vs. Chicago [Red Wings in 6]

SAN JOSE vs. Anaheim [Ducks in 6]

DETROIT vs. Anaheim [Red Wings in 7]

STANLEY CUP FINAL

DETROIT vs. Montreal [Canadiens in 6]

Dead last here we come. Take that Moog.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:16 AM
Senior Moderator

^ If the Leafs wanted to be dead last so bad...why didn't they sign Dan Cloutier to be starting goalie...?

Old 10-07-2008, 10:38 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by dom
Howard Berger's most recent blog.

Dead last here we come. Take that Moog.
We are trying harder than the Leafs: We have yet to hit the cap floor
Old 10-07-2008, 10:43 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Its not about the money. Its about the on ice product. Nik Antropov is our #1 center. Beat That!
Old 10-07-2008, 10:49 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

^^ Clearly you have not seen our goaltending
Old 10-07-2008, 11:48 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Hey dom, In case you were wondering.....here is a pic of our starting goaltender this year.

Tavares will be ours!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-07-2008, 11:49 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

You can take Taveres, we'll take Hedman.
Old 10-07-2008, 12:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
^^ Clearly you have not seen our goaltending
Bernier or Quick are not on the roster...?
Old 10-07-2008, 12:10 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Bernier or Quick are not on the roster...?
Nope. There was little chance if any that Bernier was going to make the team this year.....he needs more development time. No need for him to get shelled night after night with the very young D-men in front of him.

LaBarbara & Ersberg will lead us to the draft pick promise land!!!
Old 10-07-2008, 04:13 PM
Let's Go Pens

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dom,

Can you link me to Berger's blog?

Thanks!
Old 10-07-2008, 04:18 PM
Senior Moderator

Hmmm...Bulin's on the roster now. It seems like they'll be starting the season with him. Barker just got sent down to the farm team to free up the cap space.
Old 10-07-2008, 04:51 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

^^^ Nobody wants Bulin or his huge contract....not even the Russians
Old 10-07-2008, 05:22 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

POS finally singed

The Los Angeles Kings have reached verbal agreement on a three-year contract with Patrick O'Sullivan...O'Sullivan expected to skate with team tomorrow in El Segundo at 10 a.m.

...and with that, the cap floor is broken through.
Old 10-07-2008, 05:31 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

POS contract:
O'Sullivan will get $2.925 million over each of the next three seasons. The contract is front-loaded a bit and brings the Kings up to their $40-million cash budget. The contract takes O'Sullivan through the 2010-11 season and he would be an unrestricted free agent in the summer of 2012.
Not to bad for a guy who in his second season (23 years old) got 22G 31A 53Pts
Old 10-07-2008, 06:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
^^^ Nobody wants Bulin or his huge contract....not even the Russians

I still think he'll be traded soon...
Old 10-08-2008, 02:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Evader
Rounder,

Bro I owe you. I knew there had to be something I was missing. I didn't even notice the different crests. Thanks a ton for pointing this out
I know I'm late but the 'C' looks jacked up on the ebay jersey. "Skinnier" if you will...
Old 10-08-2008, 02:25 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Evader
Dom,

Can you link me to Berger's blog?

Thanks!
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?blogger_id=3
Old 10-08-2008, 02:58 PM
Senior Moderator

The funny part is the Leafs suck so bad that I think they're going to even suck at losing..

Quick Reply: Hockey: News and Discussion Thread