Sports Talk & Fantasy Leagues If you like men in tights, this is the spot to be!

EPL, FIFA, MLS: News and Discussion Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 01:34 PM
What Would Don Draper Do?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
question: how did you record both games? aren't they on at the same time? or are they on different channels?

personally, i'd watch at home if that means i can relax, watch on a bigger screen, and eat some junk food and beer while watching.
Old 03-10-2009, 01:50 PM
Q('.')=O

Received 721 Likes on 521 Posts
Today the Liverpool game is on espn and after that the Chelsea game is on espnclassic (delayed showing). Same goes for tomorrow with the ManU and Barca games.

Yea I know... beer and maybe wings from bww *40 cent wings tonight* and soccer?
Old 03-10-2009, 01:52 PM

that's 4 hours of bliss.
Old 03-10-2009, 04:43 PM
Q('.')=O

omg the last 20 min of the second half had me shatting bricks

But we succeeded

Sporting ... they should play in the MLS lawl
Old 03-10-2009, 04:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Bayern just raped Sporting today (and over the two legs)

I was hoping for Juve to make it through, though. Liverpool played really well, especially Torres!
Old 03-10-2009, 11:13 PM
Yes, he did that

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Liverpool 4 - Real Madrid 0

This was certainly not the Liverpool team that has scraped through the EPL and Champs league with small margin victories. Man, I hope whatever Rafa said to the players to light a fire under their asses stays with them for their match against Man U on Saturday!

Poor Sporting (Father in law is a supporter), they did not even had a chance.
Old 03-11-2009, 02:00 AM

just got done watching liverpool/real and juventus/chelsea....

1. jeebus. liverpool played well. right from the beginning with torres' sick turn and shoot.
2. i hate steven gerrard. from lister.
3. i was rooting for juve, but that game was entertaining. at buffon's goal line save. and then a few minutes later, fat frank rams one off the bar and essien scores.

looks like tomorrow's gonna be a long night too.
Old 03-11-2009, 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by Lister00169
This was certainly not the Liverpool team that has scraped through the EPL and Champs league with small margin victories. Man, I hope whatever Rafa said to the players to light a fire under their asses stays with them for their match against Man U on Saturday!

Poor Sporting (Father in law is a supporter), they did not even had a chance.
f.torres wants NO part of rio.

Old 03-11-2009, 09:48 AM
Q('.')=O

Originally Posted by JediMindTricks
just got done watching liverpool/real and juventus/chelsea....

1. jeebus. liverpool played well. right from the beginning with torres' sick turn and shoot.
2. i hate steven gerrard. from lister.
3. i was rooting for juve, but that game was entertaining. at buffon's goal line save. and then a few minutes later, fat frank rams one off the bar and essien scores.

looks like tomorrow's gonna be a long night too.
that ball was IN. They showed the replay 5x and eventually concluded the whole ball was over, it was just hard to tell since he was covering the angle with his arms. But everyone after the game like the announcers and stuff agreed that drogba got robbed and it should have been a goal. at least they got redemption for it.

so, today's predictions:

Barca > lyon
Manu > inter (although i would for manu to lose)
Ars > roma
Atletico > porto
Old 03-11-2009, 09:57 AM

yea i thought it was in too. i only saw the replays that were shown during the game, and it looked in. buffon was quick, though, with getting onto it and bringing it back over the line.

we REALLY need goal line cameras. i don't see why it can't hurt. remember the chelsea/liverpool tie from a few years ago?

but i thought the refereeing in the chelsea/juve match was just bad. chiellini shouldn't have been sent off. i dunno about the foul on ballack that led to the handball. essien is one mean looking mofo. so is amauri.

and that handball against heinze was bs.

with your picks again.

imj, what'd you end up doing? watch at work or at home with $.40 wings?
Old 03-11-2009, 12:39 PM
Q('.')=O

actually i streamed the whole chelsea game at work lol. and for the first time ever, the stream didn't stop ONCE! it was awesome. i was on the edge of my chair at the last 20 min.. so nervous cus even though they had 10 men they were definitely putting on the pressure. and when i got home i just watched the goal highlights from each game, no wings. but am probably gonna go to bww on thursday for 60 cent boneless wings and some big 12 bball action.

btw looked like torres should have actually been called for a foul on his goal
Old 03-11-2009, 01:29 PM

yah!

i thought so too. i thought his leg kicked pepe's, and he also pulled him down. otherwise, pepe must have been one uncoordinated player to fall and miss the ball like he did.

but still...even before that goal, liverpool should have been up 3-0 anyways.

real madrid are a mess of a club.
Old 03-11-2009, 05:46 PM
Three Wheelin'

So,
United, Barca, Atletico and Arsenal through.

That penalty shootout for Ars-Rom was quite shit, both keepers were horrible, especially Doni, who barely moved for half the shots.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:16 PM
Q('.')=O

yea lol at that penalty shoot out. im betting whomever they play, arsenal wont make it out of the next round, they are shyte.

and the first half of the manu inter game was quite exciting to my surprise. inter had their chances and only if ibrahimovic would have scored that header or the one that just went wide, it would have been a totally different game.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:57 PM
Yes, he did that

Why the hate on Stevie G JMT? He is a class act and plays like there is no tomorrow.

Rio can be a punk and gets mad when he is schooled.
Old 03-12-2009, 03:43 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by imj0257
omg the last 20 min of the second half had me shatting bricks

But we succeeded

Sporting ... they should play in the MLS lawl
LOL.
Barcelona will take it all
Old 03-12-2009, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by uzzmaan
So,
United, Barca, Atletico and Arsenal through.

That penalty shootout for Ars-Rom was quite shit, both keepers were horrible, especially Doni, who barely moved for half the shots.
yea the keepers were owned. they couldn't even commit all the way to one side.

at almunia trying to talk sh!t to baptista, and then the beast drove one into the roof.

yea lol at that penalty shoot out. im betting whomever they play, arsenal wont make it out of the next round, they are shyte.

and the first half of the manu inter game was quite exciting to my surprise. inter had their chances and only if ibrahimovic would have scored that header or the one that just went wide, it would have been a totally different game.
yea i can't see arsenal making it past the quarters. they need to fight for the fourth spot in the EPL anyways.

Originally Posted by Lister00169
Why the hate on Stevie G JMT? He is a class act and plays like there is no tomorrow.

Rio can be a punk and gets mad when he is schooled.
gerrard is a class act and plays like there is no tomorrow. true. i'm just hating because he's ridiculously awesome (when not playing in an england shirt), and he's practically impossible to stop.

and i hate that little smirk he has on his face.

and i just like that picture or rio and torres.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:18 PM
Yes, he did that

Originally Posted by JediMindTricks

gerrard is a class act and plays like there is no tomorrow. true. i'm just hating because he's ridiculously awesome (when not playing in an england shirt), and he's practically impossible to stop.

and i hate that little smirk he has on his face.

and i just like that picture or rio and torres.
Hehe, gotcha. I agree, that smirk can get annoying, but he has every right to have it on. I am waking up early for this match on Saturday (or might DVR it)!
Old 03-14-2009, 11:01 AM
Yes, he did that

Man U 1 - Liverpool 4

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/report?...=ENG.1&cc=5901

I couldn't watch it since it was on Satanta (PPV), but judging by the report and Gamecast Play by Play, as soon as Gerrard got the goal they were defeated.

I am not sure if this will lead to future Man U defeats to help close the gap, but this will be remembered for a long time if it does!

Now, time for Pool to do their part and sweep everyone else.
Old 03-14-2009, 12:59 PM
Q('.')=O

@ manure
Old 03-14-2009, 01:12 PM

at least united still have a game in hand.
Old 03-16-2009, 03:19 PM
Q('.')=O

omfg anyone seen this?

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/st...=world&cc=5901

Iraqi shot dead attempting goal
Associated Press

March 16, 2009

BAGHDAD -- Police say an Iraqi soccer player has been shot dead just as he was about to kick what could have been the tying goal in a weekend game south of Baghdad.

Police Maj. Muthanna Khalid says a striker from the Buhairat amateur team was facing only the goalie during a Sunday match in Hillah when a supporter of the rival Sinjar club shot him in the head in the final minute of play.

Sinjar was leading 1-0 when the shooting occurred. Khalid said a spectator was arrested.

More Iraqis are turning out for sports events now that security is improving. Major matches in Baghdad are heavily guarded but security in amateur games in smaller cities is often lax.

Now, this is really fucked up... omfg. But of all places to happen I'm kinda not surprised it was there.
Old 03-16-2009, 03:30 PM

yea i read that this morning. crazy.
Old 03-16-2009, 04:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

Soccer is ruining America

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123680101041299201.html

Fairly long read, and I can't figure out if the guy is serious or not. Comes across as quite a douche, nonetheless.

Soccer is running America into the ground, and there is very little anyone can do about it. Social critics have long observed that we live in a therapeutic society that treats young people as if they can do no wrong. Every kid is a winner, and nobody is ever left behind, no matter how many times they watch the ball going the other way. Whether the dumbing down of America or soccer came first is hard to say, but soccer is clearly an important means by which American energy, drive and competitiveness are being undermined to the point of no return.

What other game, to put it bluntly, is so boring to watch? (Bowling and golf come to mind, but the sound of crashing pins and the sight of the well-attired strolling on perfectly kept greens are at least inherently pleasurable activities.) The linear, two-dimensional action of soccer is like the rocking of a boat but without any storm and while the boat has not even left the dock. Think of two posses pursuing their prey in opposite directions without any bullets in their guns. Soccer is the fluoridation of the American sporting scene.

For those who think I jest, let me put forth four points, which is more points than most fans will see in a week of games—and more points than most soccer players have scored since their pee-wee days.

1) Any sport that limits you to using your feet, with the occasional bang of the head, has something very wrong with it. Indeed, soccer is a liberal's dream of tragedy: It creates an egalitarian playing field by rigorously enforcing a uniform disability. Anthropologists commonly define man according to his use of hands. We have the thumb, an opposable digit that God gave us to distinguish us from animals that walk on all fours. The thumb lets us do things like throw baseballs and fold our hands in prayer. We can even talk with our hands. Have you ever seen a deaf person trying to talk with his feet? When you are really angry and acting like an animal, you kick out with your feet. Only fools punch a wall with their hands. The Iraqi who threw his shoes at President Bush was following his primordial instincts. Showing someone your feet, or sticking your shoes in someone's face, is the ultimate sign of disrespect. Do kids ever say, "Trick or Treat, smell my hands"? Did Jesus wash his disciples' hands at the Last Supper? No, hands are divine (they are one of the body parts most frequently attributed to God), while feet are in need of redemption. In all the portraits of God's wrath, never once is he pictured as wanting to step on us or kick us; he does not stoop that low.

2) Sporting should be about breaking kids down before you start building them up. Take baseball, for example. When I was a kid, baseball was the most popular sport precisely because it was so demanding. Even its language was intimidating, with bases, bats, strikes and outs. Striding up to the plate gave each of us a chance to act like we were starring in a Western movie, and tapping the bat to the plate gave us our first experience with inventing self-indulgent personal rituals. The boy chosen to be the pitcher was inevitably the first kid on the team to reach puberty, and he threw a hard ball right at you.

Thus, you had to face the fear of disfigurement as well as the statistical probability of striking out. The spectacle of your failure was so public that it was like having all of your friends invited to your home to watch your dad forcing you to eat your vegetables. We also spent a lot of time in the outfield chanting, "Hey batter batter!" as if we were Buddhist monks on steroids. Our chanting was compensatory behavior, a way of making the time go by, which is surely why at soccer games today it is the parents who do all of the yelling.

3) Everyone knows that soccer is a foreign invasion, but few people know exactly what is wrong with that. More than having to do with its origin, soccer is a European sport because it is all about death and despair. Americans would never invent a sport where the better you get the less you score. Even the way most games end, in sudden death, suggests something of an old-fashioned duel. How could anyone enjoy a game where so much energy results in so little advantage, and which typically ends with a penalty kick out, as if it is the audience that needs to be put out of its misery? Shootouts are such an anticlimax to the game and are so unpredictable that the teams might as well flip a coin to see who wins—indeed, they might as well flip the coin before the game, and not play at all.

4) And then there is the question of sex. I know my daughter will kick me when she reads this, but soccer is a game for girls. Girls are too smart to waste an entire day playing baseball, and they do not have the bloodlust for football. Soccer penalizes shoving and burns countless calories, and the margins of victory are almost always too narrow to afford any gloating. As a display of nearly death-defying stamina, soccer mimics the paradigmatic feminine experience of childbirth more than the masculine business of destroying your opponent with insurmountable power.

Let me conclude on a note of despair appropriate to my topic. There is no way to run away from soccer, if only because it is a sport all about running. It is as relentless as it is easy, and it is as tiring to play as it is tedious to watch. The real tragedy is that soccer is a foreign invasion, but it is not a plot to overthrow America. For those inclined toward paranoia, it would be easy to blame soccer's success on the political left, which, after all, worked for years to bring European decadence and despair to America. The left tried to make existentialism, Marxism, poststructuralism, and deconstructionism fashionable in order to weaken the clarity, pragmatism and drive of American culture. What the left could not accomplish through these intellectual fads, one might suspect, they are trying to accomplish through sport.

Yet this suspicion would be mistaken. Soccer is of foreign origin, that is certainly true, but its promotion and implementation are thoroughly domestic. Soccer is a self-inflicted wound. Americans have nobody to blame but themselves. Conservative suburban families, the backbone of America, have turned to soccer in droves. Baseball is too intimidating, football too brutal, and basketball takes too much time to develop the required skills. American parents in the past several decades are overworked and exhausted, but their children are overweight and neglected. Soccer is the perfect antidote to television and video games. It forces kids to run and run, and everyone can play their role, no matter how minor or irrelevant to the game. Soccer and television are the peanut butter and jelly of parenting.

I should know. I am an overworked teacher, with books to read and books to write, and before I put in a video for the kids to watch while I work in the evenings, they need to have spent some of their energy. Otherwise, they want to play with me! Last year all three of my kids were on three different soccer teams at the same time. My daughter is on a traveling team, and she is quite good. I had to sign a form that said, among other things, I would not do anything embarrassing to her or the team during the game. I told the coach I could not sign it. She was perplexed and worried. "Why not," she asked? "Are you one of those parents who yells at their kids? "Not at all," I replied, "I read books on the sidelines during the game, and this embarrasses my daughter to no end." That is my one way of protesting the rise of this pitiful sport. Nonetheless, I must say that my kids and I come home from a soccer game a very happy family.

Mr. Webb is a professor of religion and philosophy at Wabash College. His recent books include "American Providence" and "Taking Religion to School.
Old 03-16-2009, 04:55 PM

ehh....

it's an interesting read. i think the writer is trying to be clever. he does come off as a douche, but i've become numb to articles like these.

it's not a sport for everyone. neither is baseball or hockey or cricket.
Old 03-16-2009, 04:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

Hey, don't even think of picking on cricket!
Old 03-16-2009, 05:09 PM

Old 03-18-2009, 04:41 PM

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...gle-Earth.html

Most footballers like to hide away behind the huge fences surrounding their expensive mansions - but not Gary Neville.

With perhaps more money than sense the Manchester United captain has built himself a huge hedge which spells out his club initials MUFC.

And although the topiary is still only in its infancy, when mature it is thought it will be visible on Google Earth.

The imposing structure greets visitors to England international Neville's huge modern-built country pile in Bolton.

legend.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:08 PM
chips and smokes, lets go

Iraqi Fan Shoots Soccer Player Dead Before He Can Score Tying Goal

http://www.citynews.ca/news/news_32995.aspx

Old 03-18-2009, 06:14 PM
Q('.')=O

Originally Posted by herbalist
Iraqi Fan Shoots Soccer Player Dead Before He Can Score Tying Goal

http://www.citynews.ca/news/news_32995.aspx

post 1382
Old 03-20-2009, 09:59 AM

chelsea - liverpool
arsenal - villareal
manchester united - fc porto
bayern munich - barcelona

chelsea vs. liverpool again?
Old 03-20-2009, 10:02 AM
Q('.')=O

I know... Arsenal and Manu got the easiest draws.

Should be a boring matchup between liverpool and chelsea again. and we will have to dispense of liverpool just like last year
Old 03-20-2009, 10:04 AM

then..you have bayern/barca.

that should be a great tie as well.
Old 03-20-2009, 02:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

really looking forward to bayern/barca.

The rest of the quarterfinal draw isn't very interesting
Old 03-20-2009, 02:30 PM

seriously.

the only thing that's interesting is robert pires meeting the arsenal fans again.
Old 03-21-2009, 11:58 AM
Three Wheelin'

EPL title race opening up a little? Though United still have a game in hand.
Old 03-21-2009, 01:20 PM
Q('.')=O

I agree. Chelsea fked up today. Coulda put the title race wide open with a win today but . I hope liverpool lose now too

Manu loss =

Scholes sersiously needs to retire. He isn't the player he used to be. Now he is more clumsy imo. Being a dumbass and swatting the ball out of the air . I swear that is like the 3rd time in a year or something he has gotten a red card for an on-purpose hand ball.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:45 AM

at losing to fulham.

Scholes sersiously needs to retire. He isn't the player he used to be. Now he is more clumsy imo. Being a dumbass and swatting the ball out of the air . I swear that is like the 3rd time in a year or something he has gotten a red card for an on-purpose hand ball.
seeing paul scholes in this form is depressing because he is probably the most intelligent player on the team. even moreso than giggs. he is still the best passer and distributor. however, with the speed of today's game and the formation we use now to accomodate our other players, he looks lost. the asthma doesn't help either, but he's never been the athlete like a gerrard or had the stamina of lampard.

anyways, it's really sad because there have been a few games this season when he's been lights out. i think it was the FA cup match against fulham when he had all sorts of space and time to shred the defense to bits. unfortunately, those matches are far and few in between.

it's sad to see because he still is our smartest player ("football iq" wise) and is our best passer, in my opinion. and it's even more frustrating because anderson is still young and hargreaves is mr. glass.
Old 03-24-2009, 12:35 PM
Q('.')=O

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/st...sec=us&cc=5901

Chelsea, Inter, Club America and AC Milan to face off in U.S.
ESPNsoccernet news services

March 24, 2009

NEW YORK -- This summer, Chelsea, AC Milan, Inter Milan and Club America will compete in the inaugural World Football Challenge -- a six-city round robin tournament to be held in the U.S.

Beginning on July 19 and concluding on July 26, the four teams will face off at stadiums across the U.S., including the Rose Bowl (Pasadena, Calif.), the Georgia Dome (Atlanta, Ga.), MT&T Bank Stadium (Baltimore, Md.), Gillette Stadium (Foxborough, Mass.), Stanford Stadium (Palo Alto, Calif.) and the new Cowboys Stadium (Arlington, Texas). Match tickets go on sale Tuesday at www.worldfootballchallenge.com.

"We are delighted to be in the United States again for preseason," said Peter Kenyon, Chelsea FC chief executive. "This is our fifth preseason out of six that we have toured here and it is always a pleasure to see our fans and train and play in excellent facilities in great cities.

"Chelsea, of course, will bring a full-strength first team squad and with the quality of the opposition, and the backing of our partners, this series of matches will be the best preparation and the most high profile we have played in America."

Kenyon was joined by AC Milan director Umberto Gandini, Club America president Michel Bauer, FC Internazionale Milano technical director Marco Branca, CAA Sports co-head Michael Levine and ESPN Programming vice president Scott Guglielmino at a press conference at the ESPN Zone in New York to announce the 2009 World Football Challenge and match schedule.

"I am very happy to take AC Milan back to the United States after a few years, thanks to our friends at CAA, in a tournament which will see us visiting Atlanta and Baltimore before going back to Boston where we played already," said Gandini. "AC Milan will meet very important teams like Club America, Chelsea, with whom we played on U.S. soil twice, and Internazionale, our city rivals. After 40 years there will be another derby in the States, the last and only so far was in New York. These are going to be three important matches very useful in order to prepare the new season at the best. I am confident that these events will offer great football to all the fans throughout America."

"As president of Club America I am delighted to participate in the World Football Challenge," said Bauer. "I know our fans in the U.S. and Mexico will enjoy such an exciting competition and watching our eagles play against these elite European clubs. With so much talent on the pitch, it's going to be a competitive tournament and I'm looking forward to getting it started."

CAA Sports, a division of Creative Artists Agency, the leading entertainment and sports agency, is the event management agency and organizers of the World Football Challenge.

ESPN, the U.S. English-language television home of the Men's and Women's FIFA World Cups and other marquee international soccer competitions, is the broadcast partner and will televise all matches on ESPN or ESPN2. Matches will also air on ESPN's Spanish-language sports network, ESPN Deportes, and ESPN360.com, the company's live sports broadband network.

"We're very excited to work with CAA Sports in providing football fans around the country with the opportunity to see four of the world's marquee football clubs in action," said Guglielmino.

In May 2008, ESPN2's live telecast of the UEFA Champions League final -- Chelsea vs. Manchester United -- from the Luzhniki Stadium in Moscow, was seen by 1.1 million viewers, a record for the series in the U.S. In addition, the live coverage of all 31 UEFA European Football Championship 2008 (Euro 2008) matches from eight cities in Switzerland and Austria last June delivered unprecedented viewership, reaching a total of 44.7 million people across ABC, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN Deportes and ESPN Classic during the three-week tournament.

World Football Challenge match schedule

Sunday, July 19

Club America vs. Inter at Stanford Stadium (Palo Alto, Calif.)

7 p.m. ET on ESPN2

Tuesday, July 21

Chelsea vs. Inter at the Rose Bowl (Pasadena, Calif.)

11 p.m. ET on ESPN2

Wednesday, July 22

AC Milan vs. Club America at the Georgia Dome (Atlanta, Ga.)

7 p.m. ET on ESPN2

Friday, July 24

AC Milan vs. Chelsea at M&T Bank Stadium (Baltimore, Md.)

8 p.m. ET on ESPN

Sunday, July 26

AC Milan vs. Inter at Gillette Stadium (Foxborough, Mass.)

5 p.m. ET on ESPN2

Sunday, July 26

Chelsea vs. Club America at Cowboy Stadium (Arlington, Texas)

7 p.m. ET on ESPN2
I will def be tehre.
Old 03-24-2009, 12:46 PM

yea i'll be at arlington...

Quick Reply: EPL, FIFA, MLS: News and Discussion Thread