Sports Talk & Fantasy Leagues If you like men in tights, this is the spot to be!

EPL, FIFA, MLS: News and Discussion Thread

Old 01-14-2009 | 10:50 AM
What Would Don Draper Do?

Originally Posted by imj0257
^ true. and i saw a report the other day that now the galaxy said that beckham might actually stay at milan.

oh and what do you think about this ronaldo to real move AGAIN for the 20th time? supposedly it is 'legit' this time... like the 19 last 'legit' times? ha.
i wouldn't be surprised if he stays at milan.

i think he regrets moving to america, and if you think about it, he did it when he thought his england career was over. if he knew what was going to happen with mcclaren and england and how he'll eventually get back into the team, i think he stays at madrid or go to milan, who tried to sign him back then.

it's no secret he wants to play in south africa 2010, and he wants to play at the highest level. and it's not like the galaxy adventure has worked out. that's a team in big trouble.

i think so. i read yesterday that he trademarked "CR9" and madrid promised to give him the #9 shirt. he's a brilliant player, but good riddance. hopefully, nani will be up for the task, and the money we'll get for ronaldo will be well spent.
Old 01-15-2009 | 05:34 PM

deal's not dead yet.

city just upped it 107m.

:shakehead

milan have apparently given city permission to talk to kaka.

wow. IF this goes through, city are truly playing in their own league.

and it's funny when chelsea fans (not specifically you, imj) are complaining about city throwing money at players. but granted, even chelsea and roman were sensible with their money.
Old 01-16-2009 | 10:41 AM
Q('.')=O

107m is just fucking ridiculous. Yes, Kaka is an awesome player, one of the best midfielders in the world. But is he worth 107m?! FUCK NO. Nobody in the world is imo. They could buy 10 awesome players with that money instead of just one.

And this Dubai group really is fucking up the transfer market with their ridiculous offers. By offering so much money for one player, other players will start to be like "well if he is getting paid that much, I am going to request more... and more... and more..." and will just make players more and more greedy. Not Kaka however; he genuinely plays for the love of the game (as far as we know) and I hope he stays at Milan.

Plus, who would honestly in their right mind want to go to Man City?! Yes, they somehow got Robinho to come (he says for the football - we all know he is full of shit and came for the money), but they are in the bottom half of the table, 2 points from relegation. They aren't ever, at least in the near future, going to break into the top 4, and they aren't going to win trophies. The types of players they are trying to buy are players that want to play for a good team and want to win trophies.

And true, I understand people aiming at Chelsea because yes, Abromovich has tons of money but for the most part they do spend it sensibly, (Shevchenko was just a bust, didn't see that one coming. Oh an Pizarro - WTF... slowest 'striker' I've ever seen. I have no clue why they brought him over but luckily dumped him soonthereafter).

[/End Rant]

Last edited by imj0257; 01-16-2009 at 10:45 AM.
Old 01-16-2009 | 11:04 AM

city are truly playing in their own league right now. especially in this economy, it's mind boggling.

no player is indeed worth that much. but it's city that's trying to flex their muscles now. thing is, as great as kaka is, an attacking midfielder is the last thing they need right now! they've got a lot of weapons in attack, and they have another brilliant brazilian in elano that is never used.

but i thought they made a statement by buying robinho. now, it's as if they're taunting the rest of the world with this bid.

word is that kaka has been arguing with his father about the move. apparently, kaka wants to stay in milan, but his dad wants him to move. rumors though.

1. if you're a city fan, you've got to be in bliss right now. even if the deal doesn't go through. however, you've still got to be concerned that the team is in a relegation battle. if i was a city fan, i'd be hoping that the heads up front are also looking to shore up the defense and role players.

2. if you're a milan fan, it's sad to see the possibility of kaka leaving. only 2 years ago, he was considered the best player in the world and had the sport at his feet. however, if i was a milan fan, i think i'd want the deal to go through. that's a LOT of money, and with that you can fill the holes in the team...especially at gk and defense. however, knowing milan, they'll just end up buying 30+ year olds.

who knows? maybe gourcuff will want to come back if kaka leaves. but as great as i think gourcuff will be, i don't think his potential will reach anywhere near kaka's.

3. and if you're kaka....you can change the "i belong to jesus" undershirts to "i belong to money"
Old 01-19-2009 | 09:09 PM
Q('.')=O

Kaka's £107m move to Man City is off

Good boy...

Old 01-20-2009 | 10:01 AM

Old 01-28-2009 | 06:16 PM
I feel the need...

Garber willing to discuss Beckham with Milan

Originally Posted by JediMindTricks
i think he regrets moving to america, and if you think about it, he did it when he thought his england career was over. if he knew what was going to happen with mcclaren and england and how he'll eventually get back into the team, i think he stays at madrid or go to milan, who tried to sign him back then.

David Beckham has been in the middle of a tug-of-words between the LA Galaxy and AC Milan recently. MLS commissioner Don Garber has expressed a willingness to discuss the Englishman's future with the Italian giants.
Galaxy head coach and general manager Bruce Arena reacted testily and firmly to quotes from AC Milan that it would like to sign Los Angeles' star player, David Beckham, to a permanent deal.....
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...x.html?cnn=yes
Old 01-29-2009 | 06:13 AM
Q('.')=O

Everyone knows he wants to stay in Milan, and he should. The Galaxy suck. With AC Milan he is on one of the world's most historic, best teams and plays tougher competition, more games (Serie A, Champions League, Copa Italia, etc.) and who wouldn't want to live in Milan, Italy? (*cough* so Victoria can shop everyday *cough*).

Bt the way, anyone see his freekick yesterday? Fking amazing. He still has it...
Old 01-29-2009 | 09:24 AM

Everyone knows he wants to stay in Milan, and he should. The Galaxy suck. With AC Milan he is on one of the world's most historic, best teams and plays tougher competition, more games (Serie A, Champions League, Copa Italia, etc.) and who wouldn't want to live in Milan, Italy? (*cough* so Victoria can shop everyday *cough*).

Bt the way, anyone see his freekick yesterday? Fking amazing. He still has it...
not just that, but it's clear his #1 goal is playing in south africa next year.

ain't gonna happen when he's playing in MLS.
Old 01-29-2009 | 10:25 AM
Q('.')=O

Originally Posted by JediMindTricks
not just that, but it's clear his #1 goal is playing in south africa next year.

ain't gonna happen when he's playing in MLS.
Yep. And just thought I'd throw this in there... national team coaches like going to watch the players in person to see how they are doing and whether to put/keep them on the national team. Is Capello going to travel 5500 miles to see him play in LA or rather 600 miles to see him play in Italy? .

mmk
Old 01-29-2009 | 10:47 AM

well, he did fly to dallas to see him play.

but yea. no way he's going to have to fly back and forth on a regular basis.

it says a lot though about beckham's resiliance. countless times he's been criticized and left out of the team (england, man utd, madrid) and yet he's always fought back and won his place. not many players can say they've played for the top teams in the 3 best leagues in the world.
Old 02-02-2009 | 11:33 PM
Yes, he did that

Well, so long Robbie Keane

Rafa really laid an egg by throwing the bank at him and then not even giving him a change to play. I understand wanting to field future talent (N'gog), but Keane is an impact player, whether he scores or not.

He needs to have another striker up with him to be effective, so if Torres came up earlier, I think he would still be around and contributing.
Old 02-03-2009 | 09:14 AM

too bad for robbie keane. i always liked him as a player, and it would have been too perfect for him to succeed at his boyhood club.

dunno what the deal is rafa lately.

and at tottenham buying back their former players.

1 year ago, everyone was saying any combination with keane, berbatov, bent, and defoe wouldn't work. i guess they want to try again.
Old 02-03-2009 | 01:03 PM
Q('.')=O

A few things to address:

I heard Tot fans aren't too ecstatic though about Keane coming back. After all, he left them for ManU, failed there and now has come back. I wouldn't open up with arms wide open if I were a Tot fan. Will he make an impact? Plus, they still suck ass lol.

Good pickup by Chelsea getting Quaresma. Should be a good fit to fill in since J.Cole is out and should be exciting to watch.

And OMGAWD Arshavin actually DID join Arsenal after what seems like 10 years... now I actually want to watch an Arsenal game and see what he's got. I think with his energy level and skill, he should fit in nicely.

Becks had 2 more assists last game (almost 3 but Pato was offsides). He is starting and Ronaldinho isn't . From what he has proved during his playing at Milan I bet they will do all they can to keep him, and I hope he does stay.

Last but not least, that red card to Lampard during the Chelsea vs Livershit game made me fucking FURIOUS. I was literally cussing out loud at the tv and the ref lol. That ref is a fucking blind idiot. Lampard got the ball first and then ALONSO KICKED LAMPARD! WTF! If anyone should have gotten a card it is Alonso! Bad, bad call by the ref... he didn't even take his time to assess everything with his assistants, he runs up and immediately gives him a red! In a game with these 2 teams and of this importance, you don't do that for such a tackle that could have gone either way! And the FA knows it was a bad call cus Cheslea already won their appeal of it and has been overturned. Thanks to the ref Mike Riley wait I mean stupid sack of shit, Chelsea lost. I bet they would have tied otherwise.

Oh and Bosingwa shoving Benayoun with his foot was hilarious! Now if anyone deserved a red card it was obviously him lol. I admit he got lucky for not getting in trouble for that.

And incase you didn't see those 2 incidents, here they are:

Lampard's bs red card:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQ7L5hPzfj8

Bosingwa's stomp on Benayoun lolol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Gh7DEGejf8

Now I turn it over to you Jedi...

Last edited by imj0257; 02-03-2009 at 01:07 PM.
Old 02-03-2009 | 01:57 PM

my turn, i guess?

you mean tottenham fans aren't happy with berbatov for leaving for united?

i think tottenham supporters gave robbie keane a nice ovation when he played against them. but his departure was not similiar to berbatov's. unlike keane, berbatov pretty much held tottenham ransom until the last day of the window and forced his way out.

with that said, if any combination of keane, darren bent, and defoe couldn't work before, i dunno how it will now. but defoe's injured, right? any word on how long he's out for?

but tottenham sucks anyways.

quaresma:
brilliant technically and a huge talent. however, that's mixed with selfishness and lack of confidence at the moment. if you can't get motivated to play under jose mourinho, then i dunno.

but his outside the right foot crossing and shooting is one of the most beautiful techniques in today's game. it's amazing how he does it.

it's ironic, though, that a lot of people want him to be the next c.ronaldo even though he's a couple of years older. but chelsea need wingers so good pickup. he can't be any worse than malouda at the moment, right? what's sad is that kalou will still get bench time.

and glad that the arshavin deal is over with. i, too, think he'll fit in nicely. but that doesn't mean arsenal's playing in champions league next year. wenger should have bought mexes and yaya toure when he had the chance.

ronaldinho isn't starting because he really hasn't been all that effective from the start. and ancelotti, for some reason, thinks seedorf is still amazing.

i read an article that milan are willing to pay 14GBP for beckham. MLS would be stupid to turn that down. as i said before, haters can hate beckham and his celebrity life all they want. but if they pay attention to the pitch, he can actually play a little.

and fat frank's red wasn't deserved. stevie g had a worse tackle in that same game.
Old 02-03-2009 | 03:20 PM

good article on one of my favorite players of all time:

http://www.goal.com/en-india/news/13...some-threesome

Barcelona, Real Madrid And Luis Figo: A Gruesome Threesome
November 24, 2002. FC Barcelona versus Real Madrid. At Camp Nou. 98,000 cules. 400 Madridistas. Luis Figo's yet another return to the Catalan cathedral as a Real Madrid player. Chantings. Name calling. Banners. Painted faces. Whistles. Flying pigs. Lighters. Broken whiskey bottles. Even a knife. And more.

And hell.

Now, Figo is one of those handful of players who have been brave enough to play for both Barcelona and Real Madrid. Between 1995 and 2000, the Portuguese legend was an absolute darling to the Barcelona supporters, winning the UEFA Cup Winners' Cup in 1997 and inspiring Barcelona to two successive league titles.

But after the summer of 2000, he became one of Barcelona’s biggest ever hate figures.

The ‘Betrayal’

Because in the summer of 2000 he ditched the Catalans and signed for their most loathed rivals Real Madrid. Because in the summer of 2000 Figo committed the biggest and dastardliest of sins possible under the sun (from Barcelona’s perspective).

Not that Barcelona didn't get anything out of the move. A sum of £38m was stacked into Barca’s vault and made Luis Figo the most expensive footballer at the time but that of course is not to be imported into the context, right?

Moreover, it's not that Figo is the only player in history to have switched from Barcelona to Real Madrid. Denmark's darling and most trustworthy man Michael Laudrup too had done the very same thing in 1994 when he left Camp Nou for the Bernabeu to win the league title with the Blancos. But while Laudrup is still loved by the Camp Nou faithful, Figo is still ‘missed’ during el Clasicos.

That November Evening

Especially the Clasicos held at Camp Nou. That evening in November 2002 the world observed the stark, naked gruesome truth that even though Barcelona and Real Madrid might not contest a derby (in the technical sense of the term), might not be from the same city or the same locality-hell, they are not even from the same 'nation'- they still contest the biggest club football match on the planet.

Perhaps this is not the best way to introduce what has been a legendary footballing career but that image of Figo picking up the insane objects and even giving a thumbs up sign to the Barcelona crowd while moving almost nonchalantly towards the corner flag, a "provocation" that "was out of place and totally unnecessary" according to the then Barcelona president Joan Gaspart, lingers on in the mind.

The Barcelona Years

Luis Figo was always destined for greatness. The Almada born and Sporting Lisbon bred was one of the best young players in the world in the 1990s, winning the FIFA Under-20 World Cup in 1991.

He was the leader of the Golden Generation of Portuguese football and arrived in Catalunya as a bright star and became an even brighter one, establishing himself as a truly world class footballer.

His runs along the flanks, the exquisite corners, the remarkable free-kicks, the astounding stepovers, the subtle drop of the shoulders, the marked through balls all helped him endear himself to the Barcelona supporters, who for once thought that like Johan Cruijff and Hristo Stoichkov he was another convert to the Barcelona cause, another soldier in their army to fight the perennial battle against everything Madrid.

The Real Madrid Years

Only for them to realize in the summer of 2000 that he was not one of those fancy converts and perhaps was never meant to be. Which is why after loving the man married to Swedish model Helen Svedin they started hating them.

But in football one club's loss is another club's gain. The man who was the Portuguese Footballer of the Year from 1995 to 2000 carried on with his rhythm at the Bernabeu.

In his first season for Real Madrid, he won the league title; he finished runners-up in the FIFA Player of the Year award in 2000 but won the Ballon d'or for his unparalleled performance in Euro 2000. He won the FIFA award in 2001 and along with some help from Zinedine Zidane won the UEFA Champions League in 2001-2002, playing an instrumental role in spite of having suffered an injury during the season.

In 2002-2003 season, Figo scored 10 goals in 33 starts in La Liga and won the league title again. Figo's professionalism and leadership qualities, both on the pitch and in the dressing room, endeared him to the Real Madrid supporters. Even when he appeared to be going downhill form-wise, his work ethic was unquestionable.

And so was his class and creativity. So much so that when Joaquin, now at Valencia, revealed himself at Real Betis, he was dubbed the Spanish Figo.

But if his adventure with Barcelona was cut short by his temptation to join the world’s biggest football club, then his stay at the world's biggest club was turned sour by the inevitable spiraling down of the Galacticos project.

When Real Madrid ended a disappointing 2003-2004 season in fourth- in which he scored 9 goals in 34 league starts-losing the final of the Copa dey Rey to Real Zaragoza and getting knocked out by AS Monaco from the UEFA Champions League quarter-final stage, reports surfaced that Figo was not happy at the state of things.

Then in the summer of 2005 after falling out with Real's then coach Vanderlei Luxemburgo, he left Madrid for Italy and Inter Milan.

The Inter Milan Years

That he would be able to restore his old self at Inter was too much to expect but he did dismiss fears that he was going to retire anytime soon. In his first season with the Nerazzurri, Figo amassed 27 starts in the Italian Serie A and played quite a decent role in helping Inter finish third (on the pitch).

Figo has since been an important member of the Inter squad, although he has struggled with injuries, He is also one of the most respected personnel in the Inter unit, club president Massimo Moratti even contemplating of importing him into the club's boardroom after he retires.

What Lies Thereafter?

And he might as well do that but Figo is perhaps suited to be a coach. At 36 the former Portuguese national team captain has loads of experience. He is a footballer with a brain (this is not to suggest that footballers are essentially without brains but you get the meaning anyway, don't you?) and can think objectively, a personality to whom people listen with respect.

Luis Figo might be one of the most hated figures in Catalunya but there is no doubt that he is a legend, the second best Portuguese footballer who led his nation to the final of Euro 2004 and to a fourth place finish at the 2006 Germany World Cup finals.

But then again, even at times legends are thrown suckling pigs' heads.

Subhankar Mondal
it's funny because despite all of his trophies, accolades, and awards, his career is one that may end up being very unappreciated and underrated.

playing alongside and in the shadow of zidane plays a part in that. both are of same age and peaked around the same time. while zidane was regarded as a mercurial figure and almost god-like, figo was the disgruntled and moody teammate.

similar to ryan giggs, figo redefined himself as a player as he got older and joined inter. like giggsy, he spots his runs. but his footballing brain has allowed him to enjoy an even longer career in the middle of the midfield.

he's pure genius. he was unstoppable in euro2000. flopped like the rest of his team in korea. too unfortunate in portugal 2004. and valiant in germany 2006.

to luis figo.
Old 02-03-2009 | 09:01 PM
Q('.')=O

great player and great person; c.ronaldo has A LOT to learn from figo
Old 02-03-2009 | 09:49 PM

Old 02-03-2009 | 11:46 PM
Yes, he did that

I agree that Lampard's red card was BS, but Bosingwa should have been thrown out for such an act. I think that was the ref's way of making up for the Lampard red in some form.

Still, props to Chelsea for holding steady with 10 men for most of the match, but boy am I glad Torres finally found his touch at the right time!

Now, let's take care of Everton in the FA Cup tie and keep the pressure on Man U.

Also, any word on DICs progress on purchasing Liverpool? I know the Kuwaiti family pulled out already.
Old 02-04-2009 | 05:45 PM

everton win.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/st...europe&cc=5901

Beckham admits he wants to swap LA for Milan

After weeks of speculation David Beckham has finally admitted what many football fans across the globe already suspected: he wants to cut short his time in the MLS with Los Angeles Galaxy and move permanently to Italy's Serie A and European giants AC Milan.

After playing the first half of Milan's 2-2 friendly draw in Scotland against Rangers on Wednesday night, Beckham revealed he hoped to make his loan deal a permanent transfer.

''At the moment my lawyers are not talking to the Galaxy but I have expressed my desire to stay at AC Milan now and it's just down to Milan and Galaxy to come to an agreement.

''I have enjoyed my time here. I knew I would enjoy it but I didn't expect to enjoy it as much as I have and do as well as I have.''

A big hint that Milan thought a deal was possible was delivered earlier this week when the Italian giants included Beckham in their updated UEFA Cup player list, a competition Beckham has not won and which resumes later this month.

Milan have made no secret of their desire to retain the services of the 33-year-old beyond the end of his loan deal, which is due expire on March 9 thereby allowing Beckham to return to the US and take part in pre-season training ahead of the MLS season.

After Sunday's 3-0 win over Lazio in which Beckham failed to score in his third consecutive game, but did create two goals, Milan coach Carlo Ancelotti described the former England captain as ''indispensable.''

Similarly Milan's vice president Adriano Galliani has previously claimed his club will go the extra mile to keep Beckham at the San Siro, saying: ''We really want to keep him, but it depends on Galaxy.

''To lose him would be a blow, hence, we will make every sacrifice and every attempt to keep him. When he joined us we expected him to do well but we didn't think he would do so well,'' said Galliani earlier this week.

In his brief period in Italy Beckham has proved to immediate success winning over a sceptical public and media thanks to his impact on Milan's side.

So far Galaxy have refused to discuss Beckham's future, with club spokesman Patrick Donnelly insisting on Wednesday: ''We have no comment to make.''
no surprise at all. the day he was introduced as a milan player, he said something like "we'll see what happens after march."
Old 02-04-2009 | 10:33 PM
Yes, he did that

^
Honestly, Lucas has brought nothing to the table. He needs to be loaned away. It's ironic - the day after they get rid of Robbie, Gerrard gets hurt and the situation where Robbie could flourish behind Torres and Kuyt, he's not there.

Freakin Rafa.
Old 02-04-2009 | 11:09 PM

lucas has been disappointing, indeed.
Old 02-07-2009 | 01:34 PM
Yes, he did that

Pompey 2 - Liverpool 3

WHAT A GAME!

I was having a heart attack in that second half. Liverpool played HORRIBLY this game. The first half was the usual hum-drum effort by Pool - they looked so lathargic and couldn't move the ball past the later portion of Pompey's end.

For the life of me, I have no idea why Rafa would start Ngog over Kuyt

As soon as Kuyt came on, he made an impact and damn Babel missed a total sitter that could have changed the momentum much earlier. Also, Pepe really muffed up that save on the free header.

The only bright side to this is that Torres made in impact without having to strain too much.
Old 02-08-2009 | 09:09 PM
Q('.')=O

Technically this is my new 'toy' but I had to post it here

Old 02-08-2009 | 10:13 PM
Q('.')=O

Just saw this randomly... random and funny

<object width="464" height="376"><param name="movie" value="http://embed.break.com/NjY0ODAy"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://embed.break.com/NjY0ODAy" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowScriptAccess=always width="464" height="376"></embed></object><br><font size=1><a href="http://break.com/index/funny-soccer-celebration.html?matchid=">Funny Soccer Celebration</a> - Watch more <a href="http://www.break.com/">Funny Videos</a></font>
Old 02-09-2009 | 10:45 AM
Q('.')=O

OMFG didn't see that coming...

Scolari sacked as Chelsea manager
By Soccernet staff

February 9, 2009

Luis Felipe Scolari has been sensationally sacked by Chelsea.

Chelsea have dropped 16 points at home this season.

The Brazilian, who joined the Premier League club last summer, was expected to reinvigorate the club's fortunes and lead them to titles at home and in Europe, but after a poor run of form the axe has fallen.

Avram Grant, the man Scolari replaced, has emerged as one of the candidates on Chelsea's shortlist to replace the World Cup-winning manager. The other name thought to be on Chelsea's list is Russia's national team coach, Guus Hiddink.

Ray Wilkins replaces Scolari on a temporary basis until a full-time replace can be appointed.

A statement on the Chelsea website read: "Luiz Felipe Scolari has been dismissed as manager of Chelsea Football Club today (Monday) with immediate effect. The Chelsea board would like to place on record our gratitude for his time as manager.

"Felipe has brought many positives to the club since he joined and we all feel a sense of sadness that our relationship has ended so soon.

"Unfortunately the results and performances of the team appeared to be deteriorating at a key time in the season.

"In order to maintain a challenge for the trophies we are still competing for we felt the only option was to make the change now.

"The search for a new manager has already started and we hope to have someone in place as soon as possible. While that continues Assistant Coach Ray Wilkins will take charge of the team on a temporary basis".
Old 02-09-2009 | 10:54 AM

not surprising at all.

hiddink would be a coup. if grant comes back.
Old 02-09-2009 | 11:17 AM
Q('.')=O

Thing about Hiddink is that just like Scolari, he has proven success at the international level but not club level so could be another flop. I think and hope they will go for someone with lots of club experience. Frank Rijkaard or Roberto Mancini are my top 2 choices.
Old 02-09-2009 | 05:46 PM
Burning Brakes

I don't think it's working for Chelsea with Anelka as the lone striker. Anelka and Malouda both have decent stats on paper but not much impact on the real game. They should look for a new striker unless Drogba can play like he did couple seasons ago.
Chelsea used to look unbeatable under Mourinho but now... oh well. On another note, Mounrinho's Inter doesn't look unbeatable like his Chelsea side used to be...
Old 02-09-2009 | 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by jwjang86
I don't think it's working for Chelsea with Anelka as the lone striker. Anelka and Malouda both have decent stats on paper but not much impact on the real game. They should look for a new striker unless Drogba can play like he did couple seasons ago.
Chelsea used to look unbeatable under Mourinho but now... oh well. On another note, Mounrinho's Inter doesn't look unbeatable like his Chelsea side used to be...
anelka was doing fine as a lone striker.

one of the problems is the lack of width. mourinho's teams were tough to beat because of the wingers they had: robben, swp, j.cole, duff, etc. but now, they're trying to fit lampard, ballack, mikel, and deco in the midfield. wonder what they'll do when essien's back next season.

and mourinho's teams were unbeatable because the defense was solid. ashley cole hasn't been the arsenal-ashley cole since coming over, and bosingwa can't defend. and carvalho's been out. he's their best defender, imo.

(waits to get flogged by the john terry fans)
Old 02-09-2009 | 06:11 PM
Q('.')=O

na i think carvalho and terry are both great defenders. carvalho is definitely important but the mfker is always hurt. ashley cole is usually great and boswinga is really an attacking defender. but they do need help in midfield and upfront. anelka WAS playing amazingly... but he needs support and drogba has just seemed off his game/lazy ever since he got back from his injury; like he doesn't have that desire anymore. and their midfield is definitely missing essien: best defensive midfielder in the world.
Old 02-11-2009 | 09:25 AM

chelsea sign hiddink on a temporary basis.

and hiddink did do wonders with psv a few years ago.
Old 02-11-2009 | 10:22 AM
Q('.')=O

Yea but now he is coaching Russia AND Chelsea. Russia is starting back up World Cup qualifying and Chelsea still has Premier League, FA Cup, and Champions League action.

IMO he can't keep up/be successful with both.
Old 02-11-2009 | 10:24 AM

he did the same thing with PSV and australia.

granted chelsea > PSV, but he succeeded with both.
Old 02-11-2009 | 10:51 AM
Q('.')=O

True. But Chelsea's competition >>>> PSV's competition in league play. Plus some of the teams Australia had to play to qualify for the World Cup were just ridiculous like all those Oceania countries while Russia have a much tougher road.
Old 02-11-2009 | 10:58 AM

True. But Chelsea's competition >>>> PSV's competition in league play. Plus some of the teams Australia had to play to qualify for the World Cup were just ridiculous like all those Oceania countries while Russia have a much tougher road.
very true.

at the same time, you could say that the traveling back and forth to australia and holland is much more tiring.

and his australia side still had to beat a good uruguay team in a home and away fixture within days to get to the world cup.
Old 02-11-2009 | 08:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Awesome Mexico vs US game so far. Alot of surprising faces and alot of kids stepping it up. Glad to see some new faces get some playing time.
Old 02-11-2009 | 08:43 PM
Q('.')=O

2-0 win

Mexico.
Old 02-15-2009 | 10:38 AM
Q('.')=O

Chelsea pulled it off. Anelka hat-trick!
Old 02-15-2009 | 10:53 AM
Q('.')=O

Oh forgot to mention, Inter Milan vs AC Milan derby today on FSC at 1:30! Should be a helluva match.

Quick Reply: EPL, FIFA, MLS: News and Discussion Thread