Sports Talk & Fantasy Leagues If you like men in tights, this is the spot to be!

08 NBA Playoff Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 01:30 PM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
Originally Posted by JediMindTricks
and for the record, i actually like kobe.

skills-wise, he's the closest to jordan i've seen, and apart from last night, he was the closest to MJ that i've seen with the "killer instinct."

i know the defense had a lot to do with his ineffectiveness, but the article yumchah posted was spot on. he still disappeared. and that's what is shocking to me.

however, i'm not ready to put kobe in the league with other great players that choked in the big moments (karl malone, ewing, etc) because i still think he has chances left to win a ring.
I'll admit, I did scream "come, do something Kobe!!" more than once during that series. But remembering the 2004 Pistons/Lakers debacle, I'd much rather be saying that than say "what the hell is he doing" or "why is he shooting that fall away AGAIN!!"

Also, IMO, I agree Kobe's got a chance to win more rings. And its not like he was a bench player on those Shaq-led championships. He's had many singular winning moments throughout his career.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:32 PM
Ciao Pho Eva eva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Yumchah
And what does a Great player do when his cast doesn't show up...? He takes over.
Im thinking back to a lot of Jordan highlights.. i dont see him getting triple teamed in big plays.. he gets a lot of iso plays..
Old 06-18-2008, 01:34 PM
What Would Don Draper Do?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Palayah8ta
Im thinking back to a lot of Jordan highlights.. i dont see him getting triple teamed in big plays.. he gets a lot of iso plays..
the bad boys pistons teams and riley's knicks would just beat him up.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:42 PM
Ciao Pho Eva eva

the bad boys pistons teams and riley's knicks would just beat him up.
yea back in the day a team starts to beat u badly u start a fight.. lol
Old 06-18-2008, 01:45 PM
Happy Holidays!

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
Kobe not having talent around him is a bunch of bull. They didn't get #1 seed for nothing. Gasol and Odom ain't no chumps.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Silver_Surfer
Kobe not having talent around him is a bunch of bull. They didn't get #1 seed for nothing. Gasol and Odom ain't no chumps.
i don't think anyone's saying he didn't have talent around him.

however, the quality after gasol, LO, fisher, and maybe farmar was pretty bad.

i think most here agree that kobe still had talent around him. but they just weren't tough enough and couldn't play any defense.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:56 PM
Ciao Pho Eva eva

. but they just weren't tough enough and couldn't play any defense.

Quote of the year..
Old 06-18-2008, 01:57 PM

sarcasm?
Old 06-18-2008, 02:00 PM

i don't think anyone's saying he didn't have talent around him.

however, the quality after gasol, LO, fisher, and maybe farmar was pretty bad.

i think most here agree that kobe still had talent around him. but they just weren't tough enough and couldn't play any defense.
agree...and aside from fisher and kobe...the other do not have big game playoff experience...im sure yall can agree that reg season and playoffs are two totally diferent beast...LO and gasol do not have that experience

that's no excuse for their horrible play...but it should be obvious that EVERY player even the towel boy has to step up their game in the NBA FINALS!!!!

even the celtic bench stepped it up cheering..whether they're losing or winning they are always off their seat supporting their team...

the lakers on the other hand are content sitting down and giving golf claps...
Old 06-18-2008, 02:02 PM

oh and a announcer made a great point in game 5 where someone blew by farmar and he was content with side stepping the player and giving a weak foul where as the celtics would put their body on the line and take the charge or get the blocking foul...

that's something the lakers have to think about doing..getting tougher on D...non of this side stepping crap or getting blown by by old man ray (i like ray btw)
Old 06-18-2008, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by UNeeKLiNG
oh and a announcer made a great point in game 5 where someone blew by farmar and he was content with side stepping the player and giving a weak foul where as the celtics would put their body on the line and take the charge or get the blocking foul...

that's something the lakers have to think about doing..getting tougher on D...non of this side stepping crap or getting blown by by old man ray (i like ray btw)

yea i thought that was a good point too.

as cliche as it is, defense wins.

during the bulls' run, watching scottie pippen play defense was a joy. the way he battled magic to taking charge after charge from the jazz.
Old 06-18-2008, 02:33 PM
all work and no play

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
^ and we cant forget the train wreck Dennis Rodman!

Rajon Rondo FTW :thief:
Old 06-18-2008, 02:35 PM
Ciao Pho Eva eva

sarcasm?
no no, i agree 100%

ITs ok lakers will have our #2 player back next year and hopefully we can steal Al Thorton from the clippers..
Old 06-18-2008, 02:49 PM

no no, i agree 100%

ITs ok lakers will have our #2 player back next year and hopefully we can steal Al Thorton from the clippers..
Bynum? #2? sorry buddy but he's not the lakers #2...his foot work is not good enough yet...yes he'll be presense in the middle but he won't dominate...notice most of his points are from put backs, lobs, and turn around moves...he can't put the ball down and make moves yet...but once he does he'll be pretty dominating...
Old 06-18-2008, 02:55 PM

gasol is clearly the #2.

and if they can add a consistent shooter and some tough, defensive players like a james posey, they'll be even scarier. farmar has looked promising, and his continued development will be crucial.

the lakers aren't done unless their payroll situation is bad. (i dunno what it's like.) otherwise, if they can add depth, they should still be front runners in the west next season.

as for the east, i think boston's still the favorite.

who knows what's going to happen in detroit now. cleveland still needs another star to help out lebron. maybe orlando. chicago looks to be regressing. washington? eh. atlanta? not yet.
Old 06-18-2008, 02:57 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,794 Likes on 13,978 Posts
You're not watching the games, sir.

Jordan was often smothered but he still came through (by dishing the ball) or found a way to drive to the net...
Old 06-18-2008, 02:58 PM

Jordan was often smothered but he still came through (by dishing the ball) or found a way to drive to the net...
and when he couldn't score, he'd drive and get fouled to get points from the foul line.
Old 06-18-2008, 03:00 PM
Senior Moderator

and when he couldn't score, he'd drive and get fouled to get points from the foul line.

Whereas, Dominique Bryant...dishes when the score is 10,000 to nothing against the Lakers and when has thrown up about 57 airballs...and realizes, "Hmmm...I have teammates?!?"
Old 06-18-2008, 03:00 PM

gasol is clearly the #2.

and if they can add a consistent shooter and some tough, defensive players like a james posey, they'll be even scarier. farmar has looked promising, and his continued development will be crucial.

the lakers aren't done unless their payroll situation is bad. (i dunno what it's like.) otherwise, if they can add depth, they should still be front runners in the west next season.

as for the east, i think boston's still the favorite.

who knows what's going to happen in detroit now. cleveland still needs another star to help out lebron. maybe orlando. chicago looks to be regressing. washington? eh. atlanta? not yet.
if kobe does what tim did and take a pay cut..what's a mil or two to kobe?...and allows for cap space..and trade luke/vlade/mhim for a posey or better back up center they'd be really dangerous...

it's going to be an interesting season with sooo many teams beefing up and getting better...it's going to be great..the nba is finally getting back on track since MJ left...and at 42...i bet he still better than 90% of the nba....
Old 06-18-2008, 03:01 PM

can't hate on MJ EVER!!!
Old 06-18-2008, 03:05 PM

if kobe does what tim did and take a pay cut..what's a mil or two to kobe?...and allows for cap space..and trade luke/vlade/mhim for a posey or better back up center they'd be really dangerous...

it's going to be an interesting season with sooo many teams beefing up and getting better...it's going to be great..the nba is finally getting back on track since MJ left...and at 45...i bet he still better than 90% of the nba....
fixed.
Old 06-18-2008, 03:07 PM

fixed.
i'm not a true fan
Old 06-18-2008, 03:09 PM

it's ok. i only know his bday because i used to celebrate it by wearing his jersey to school...
Old 06-18-2008, 04:01 PM

^ i do to...i just slipped up

did anyone ever see this? it's hilarious!!!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6uiI58ZDSiQ&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6uiI58ZDSiQ&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

and i'm not a big fan of the self-proclaimed machine...machines aren't inconsistent...and machines don't cry about every call...this machines needs a major tune up...major..
Old 06-18-2008, 04:41 PM
Safety Car

</EMBED>

and i'm not a big fan of the self-proclaimed machine...machines aren't inconsistent...and machines don't cry about every call...this machines needs a major tune up...major..
In Sasha's defense, Joel Meyers, the Lakers broadcast announcer, gave him that nickname. He never named himself, like all the national broadcasters say.

Crying on every call is such a European soccer thing. Every player cries about calls, but Gasol and Sasha are very "Euro" about it. Palms up, "why me" look.

I can't see the video at work, unfortunately.
Old 06-18-2008, 05:03 PM
Return of the Ring

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
i'm not a big fan of the self-proclaimed machine...machines aren't inconsistent...
No, but sometimes they really suck.

Home Uniform:

Road Uniform:

Last edited by elessar; 06-18-2008 at 05:06 PM.
Old 06-18-2008, 06:10 PM
all work and no play

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
^ fucking hilarious
Old 06-18-2008, 06:20 PM
Ciao Pho Eva eva

Originally Posted by elessar
No, but sometimes they really suck.

Home Uniform:

Road Uniform:

thats pretty funny, but still fuck u
Old 06-18-2008, 06:22 PM
Senior Moderator

thats pretty funny, but still fuck u
Relax man...Dominique Bryant is not your mom...
Old 06-18-2008, 06:25 PM

at you calling him Dominique Bryant...hahah so sillie robots are
Old 06-18-2008, 06:44 PM
Racer

I have the MJ Dynasty DVDs and watch them from time to time.

Teams try to double/triple team Jordan, but it doesn't work because:

1.) Jordan actually plays team basketball, and quickly makes a great pass to an open teammate,

or

2.) He's so damn good that he still finds a way to score.

Whereas Kobe gets double/triple teamed, and he attempts a highly contested fade-away jumper, or makes a horrible, last second, desperation pass in mid-air when he realizes his shot is probably going airball.

I know much was made about Kobe becoming a team player this year, and I even gave him some props for FINALLY seemingly becoming one.

however, it was all a facade. he never TRULY trusted his teammates. sure, when his team was up by double digits, he trusted them. but, the second there was adversity, the old kobe-chucker came out in full force. I guess you can't teach an old (hot) dog a new trick.

I really don't understand why Kobe fanatics are so blind to reality. They hate Shaq. they blame Gasol (you know, the guy who played great against the Spurs). they blame Odom, Farmar, Sasha, Phil... but NEVER kobe. it's ridiculous.

have y'all ever noticed that players ALWAYS perform sub-par when they're on Kobe's team.. and play much better after they're traded.

here's a short list of players who played better before and after being with the LA Kobes:

-Payton (even the next year, when even older)
-Glen Rice
-Odom (hasn't gotten better, plays without confidence.. wonder why)
-Rodman
-Horace Grant
-Caron Butler
-Shaq (won a title w/o kobe)

In his 12 years in the league, Kobe has arguably made his teammates better for only a couple months ever (this year, pre-playoffs).

for someone who is supposedly the best player in the planet, that's a travesty.

If I was starting a team, I would much rather have (100% healthy) Wade, Lebron, CP3, Duncan, Pierce...

once again, Kobe = top-5 at best.
Old 06-18-2008, 06:53 PM
Safety Car

^^ I have to ask, but why do you care so much?
Old 06-18-2008, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by the_Osk

1.) Jordan actually plays team basketball, and quickly makes a great pass to an open teammate,

or

Whereas Kobe gets double/triple teamed, and he attempts a highly contested fade-away jumper, or makes a horrible, last second, desperation pass in mid-air when he realizes his shot is probably going airball.

I know much was made about Kobe becoming a team player this year, and I even gave him some props for FINALLY seemingly becoming one.

however, it was all a facade. he never TRULY trusted his teammates. sure, when his team was up by double digits, he trusted them. but, the second there was adversity, the old kobe-chucker came out in full force. I guess you can't teach an old (hot) dog a new trick.

I really don't understand why Kobe fanatics are so blind to reality. They hate Shaq. they blame Gasol (you know, the guy who played great against the Spurs). they blame Odom, Farmar, Sasha, Phil... but NEVER kobe. it's ridiculous.

have y'all ever noticed that players ALWAYS perform sub-par when they're on Kobe's team.. and play much better after they're traded.

here's a short list of players who played better before and after being with the LA Kobes:

-Glen Rice
-Rodman
-Horace Grant
-Caron Butler

In his 12 years in the league, Kobe has arguably made his teammates better for only a couple months ever (this year, pre-playoffs).

If I was starting a team, I would much rather have (100% healthy) Wade, Lebron, CP3, Duncan, Pierce...

I'mma huge MJ fan and a Rockets fan. I'm not the biggest Kobe fan by any means. I give him made props for coming this far even though it's taken him a long while.

And has far as your it's be come like 2 dollars...I don't really think anyone cares about your rants anymore so just give it up buddy...maybe if you give us more perspective than your one narrow minded point of view we might (or should I say I might) actually give a crap about your ...it's gettin old

that's just my
Old 06-18-2008, 07:13 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by the_Osk

or

-Glen Rice
-Rodman
-Horace Grant
-Caron Butler

Cliffs Notes: Kobe Bryant = Dominique Wilkins...?
Old 06-18-2008, 07:26 PM
Ciao Pho Eva eva

u made an entire IT dept laugh with the vacuum thing.... but ur still dissin my team i had to say it lol
Old 06-18-2008, 07:31 PM
Senior Moderator

u made an entire IT dept laugh with the vacuum thing.... but ur still dissin my team i had to say it lol
Dude...not hatin' the Lakers. No hate. Just saying that Dominique's gotta change his ways esp. if they are to win anything down the road...

...wait, can Nique change his ways or is he going to be forever stuck at 3 rings when playing sidekick to Shaq?
Old 06-18-2008, 07:56 PM
Ciao Pho Eva eva

Dude...not hatin' the Lakers. No hate. Just saying that Dominique's gotta change his ways esp. if they are to win anything down the road...

...wait, can Nique change his ways or is he going to be forever stuck at 3 rings when playing sidekick to Shaq?

funny how he ball hogs and gets shit for it, then passes and tries to involve his team more and gets shit for it
Old 06-18-2008, 09:10 PM
Return of the Ring

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
Actually that was me, not YumYum. Glad you liked it though.
Old 06-19-2008, 12:11 AM
Senior Moderator

funny how he ball hogs and gets shit for it, then passes and tries to involve his team more and gets shit for it
Well, sure...he ball-hogs until it's too late. Then he passes when it's too late...like when the score is a bazillion for the opposition to zilch for the Lakers.
Old 06-19-2008, 12:32 AM
Instructor

You always root for someone who's within grasp of greatness (Kobe Bryant)

But after this finals, it proves he still has a LONG way to go before being Jordan. I know I'm gonna get flamed for this BUT, I think when it's all said and done Lebron will have more rings than kobe, and will be closer to JORDAN.

I mean, he's consistently done MORE with LESS...give LBJ gasol,odom, fisher, and the DYSON and I guarantee he woulda won THIS YEAR. Are you fuckin kiddin me!

Last edited by michep21; 06-19-2008 at 12:32 AM. Reason: shut the fuck up

Quick Reply: 08 NBA Playoff Thread