Dating & Relationships Love sucks. Now you can cry about it…

Herpes

Old 04-19-2008, 11:11 AM
I shave my change purse

Received 155 Likes on 87 Posts
Herpes

So I met this nice, awesome, beautiful woman and we hit it off from the get go. We spoke on the phone for over two hours yesterday and it was going really well.

Then she stated that she was going to tell me something that makes most guys run from her. I let her talk and she explained to me how her ex husband gave her herpes while they were married and that she never knew that he was infected.

Other than that she is awesome and we hit it off big time. I would feel like a huge douche ending it now because of it, especially after the fucked up stories she told me about other guys who would cut and run on her ASAP.

Just curious to know if anyone has had similar experiences?
Old 04-19-2008, 11:18 AM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
wel....be friends and dont fuck... it not worth risking
Old 04-19-2008, 11:19 AM
Team Owner

Received 2,102 Likes on 1,161 Posts
I hope she at least told you before you hit it.

There is always a chance you can get it from her so you need to be aware of the risks.
Old 04-19-2008, 11:21 AM
Unofficial Goat

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts
Originally Posted by phee
wel....be friends and dont fuck... it not worth risking
+1
Old 04-19-2008, 11:26 AM
I shave my change purse

Originally Posted by doopstr
I hope she at least told you before you hit it.

There is always a chance you can get it from her so you need to be aware of the risks.
haven't hit it yet
Old 04-19-2008, 12:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I personally wouldn't hit it. Kudos for her telling you up front though.
Old 04-19-2008, 12:31 PM
Go Giants

Received 1,234 Likes on 823 Posts
Is she Jessica Alba?
Old 04-19-2008, 01:09 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,106 Likes on 764 Posts
Originally Posted by WILLDOGS
So I met this nice, awesome, beautiful woman and we hit it off from the get go.

Just curious to know if anyone has had similar experiences?
I haven't dealt with this issue personally.
However, if she's otherwise great, I'd want to find out how her herpes would affect the relationship before bailing. If she knows when the herpes is active, can can engage in sex normally at other times and is wonderful otherwise, I wouldn't hesitate to go further in a relationship with her.

Oh, and Valtrex FTW!
Old 04-19-2008, 01:44 PM
Swift 3 B-A-N-G-E-R

Your going out with Jessica Alba???

Before you bail... get all your info on the herpes... and at least give her a chance... if you are insecure about it... then get on her friends list...
Old 04-19-2008, 01:47 PM
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
If you have other options as far as meeting women, I'd move on. It sucks for her, but I just wouldn't get myself involved with all of that.
Old 04-19-2008, 05:16 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts
could you clarify whether she is talking about herpes orolabialis or genital herpes. i assume from the tone of your thread you are discussing genital herpes.

first off, prolly 15-25% of sexually active adults in the u.s. are seropositive for the strain of herpes simplex virus predominantly responsible for genital herpes, hsv-2. this means they have igG antibodies against hsv-2. they may never have actually had clinical outbreaks of disease, rather the infection could have been subclinical. about 90% of u.s. adults are seropositive for hsv-1, the strain predominantly associated with oral herpes.

because of the pervasiveness of oral sex, hsv-1 may be associated with genital herpes and hsv-2 may be associated with herpes orolabialis.

i assume you are negative but you should get serological testing for hsv-2. if you ever had "cold sores" before you're most likely going to be positive for hsv-1. although you may never had clinical signs of genital herpes (itch, burning, open sores, redness, small 1-2 mm clear blisters over your genital area), you may have been exposed to hsv-2, may be harboring the virus in your dorsal root ganglion, and may be seropositive for hsv-2.

in this case, it doesn't matter whether this lady is hsv-2 seropositive or not.

if you are negative for igG antibody against hsv-2, and she is positive, then you need to make a serious decision before commencing with intercourse. Up to 80% of hsv is transmitted unknowingly to others during periods of asymptomatic viral shedding. this means at times when she has no idea she is having an outbreak. sexual abstinence IS THE ONLY METHOD FOR ABSOLUTE PREVENTION of genital herpes. Condoms are only effective if they cover all of the lesions, and ARE MORE EFFECTIVE AT PROTECTING SUSCEPTIBLE FEMALES THAN SUSCEPTIBLE MALES.

that being said, asymptomatic viral shedding by your partner is reduced by 95% with suppressive therapy which results in reduction of transmission of hsv-2 from her to you. further benefit for her would be the possibility of complete absence of outbreaks once on daily suppressive therapy (valtrex 500 mg qd).

so, bottom line is does this lady care enough about you to go on valtrex if she's not on it already.

do you care enough about her to take a 1/20 chance of acquiring genital herpes despite all necessary precautions being taken.

if you engage in oral sex with her, there is still a possibility of transmission of hsv-2 to you.

sorry for the long-winded post. this is a prevalent disease that i deal with not uncommonly unfortunately. i'm giving you the same advice i give to my patients.

unfortunately, there is no vaccine available. if there were, i'd be first in line.

i've already received the guardasil vaccination for human papilloma virus even though it's only fda approved for females in the u.s. as a sexually active male in this day and age, you can't afford to take any chances. i've never had a wart of any kind and i'd like to keep it that way. i liken sleeping with girls as playing russian roulette, can YOU live with those odds?
Old 04-19-2008, 05:31 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I was there before. Twice. Women let me know up front, and I respectfully declined the relationships. Sexually, I like to go all out with no inhibitions, and herpes clearly prevents that. Besides, refer to WebMD to find out how you can contract the disease, despite them not showing signs of an outbreak! Educate yourself, and don't feel obligated to pick up the ball that others have dropped.

Find a way to tell her that you understand, but that your needs have to come first. She may not like it, but it is not your problem to fix. Tough break.
Old 04-19-2008, 07:04 PM
Team Owner

Received 599 Likes on 417 Posts
Not the end of the world as long as you are safe. It seems like she is at least responsible.
Old 04-19-2008, 07:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
I just couldn't be with someone I knew had a serious STD. It would always be in my mind & I couldn't be happy. I'd run from that.
Old 04-19-2008, 08:32 PM
I miss my 03 CL-S :(

Received 445 Likes on 214 Posts
Originally Posted by RaviNJCLs
Not the end of the world as long as you are safe. It seems like she is at least responsible.
If you guys are into each other a lot and you think you have a shot at a relationship, I'd go for it.
Take it slow and delay risky sexual activities. Be careful... ask her if she's on Valtrex, and have her explain what each of you can do to protect yourself. You should be safe doing certain things like manual stimulation on ea. other as long as you don't touch yourself afterwards. There're tons of sexually fulfilling things you can do other than oral/intercourse.

If you get to the point where you're really serious and you're ready to have sex, then I'd even go so far as to schedule a consultation with your doctor to see what he says. Maybe there's something you can do that we don't know about in order to be safer.

If you're not willing to give it a serious shot - as in a long term relationship - then it's not worth the trouble if all you're after is just another GF. That's my take.
Old 04-19-2008, 08:36 PM
has Gloryhole Girls in

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just ask her to jerk off on her face....it cant get worse than her current situation and then
Old 04-19-2008, 09:43 PM
Pro

It is a personal decision for you. I think everyone here has covered the range of possibilities. I can say personally I'd probably keep her as a friend, but I wouldn't take the risk of getting it myself.

The real question I would have to ask myself if I was in your situation is

1) Would I be willing to put up with having the condition myself, just they symptoms if her and I were to stay together for the rest of our lives?

2) Assuming that we give the relationship a try and it fails, would I have any regrets having contracted herpes and in addition to the symptoms having to be in her position in the dating world?

I would have to learn more about the actual symptoms, before I could clearly answer the first one, but if it ended I probably would have regrets from it just because of the complications to my dating life. I am also making that assumption that even with Valtrex over a long enough period one would contract the disease. The studies on valtrex i've read say that there were 4 transmission cases in the valtrex group of around 740 in a period of 8 months . . . so the risk is still there.

I am assuming we are talking about genital and not oral.
Old 04-20-2008, 08:58 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Originally Posted by [DWI]
2) Assuming that we give the relationship a try and it fails, would I have any regrets having contracted herpes and in addition to the symptoms having to be in her position in the dating world?
THIS is what I am talking about!!

If you marry this girl and are with her for the rest of your life, then you can swap spit. But what if you get together, get it accidentally on that rare occassion when she was active and didn't know it (and don't tell me it doesn't happen because it does!)?? Then YOU are in her position trying to explain to people that you have this dreaded disease and asking them to take a chance on you! This severely hinders your possibility of finding true love because of it.

As a society, we look at women who are afflicted from a more sympathetic standpoint. We think maybe we can do this to comfort them because we feel sorry for them. But what if YOU were in the market and you had it, after you guys split because of incompatibility issues? Women are like HELL NO when it comes to men with a disease!!! That's reality! Only men are stupid enough to consider it (mostly). Can you live with that? Being shunned?

Sounds romantic if you stay together for life...but what if you don't? Don't do it man! There are lots of good women out there who don't have it. Not your fault she does. Just don't be cold to her.
Old 04-20-2008, 09:04 AM
Team Owner

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by darksom1
There are lots of good women out there who don't have it. Not your fault she does. Just don't be cold to her.

This is kind of what I was thinking. If you truly think you could and might marry this woman....if she means THAT much to you, then stay abstinent until you do marry. I know that is impossible for some, but I believe it's a sacrifice you should be willing to take if you have genuine feelings for her. Don't be with her because you feel sorry for her, be with her cause she means something. If you honestly don't think it would work out in the end, I would say screw it. Like darksom said,

"There are lots of good women out there who don't have it."

It's not your fault for her disease. I would still be friends with her and whatnot, just don't get in the sheets with her.
Old 04-20-2008, 10:25 AM
I shave my change purse

Rofl, I can't believe you guys are talking about marriage, just met her.

Surfer Rick, AWESOME INFO! Thanks man.

Right now im just dating and seeing what / who is out there.

i actually went out with her for the first time last night and WOW. WE get along together great. It went perfect and she's dying to meet again. I hope im not leading her on to a big disappointment later.
I'm too nice sometimes. She is really open about it and I was honest with her. I told her that I was not going to dismiss her based on what she has alone, I want to see what the whole package has to offer at first and make my decision then. She respected that so much and told me that no one has ever said that to her first.

After the night was over I hope she didn't mind that I put on one of these before I gave her a hug goodnight.

j/k

Seriously though, she is really cool and we even joked about it openly. She doesnt get offended at all and gave it right back to me.

Oh well, I got so many compliments about my looks, demeanor, etc... it felt really good.

There are a few other negatives that I have to weigh.
- Lives a good distance away
- She doesn't drive
- two Kids (huge bummer)
- teh Herps

Positives
- Our personalities match 100%. More than any other female i've known
- We make each other laugh all the time
- Perfect Height for me
- She's very cute and my preference in body type
- Great communication both ways
- Many things in common

Even if it doesn't work out, I am almost positive we will still keep in touch in one way or another.

Lets see what happens from here.
Old 04-20-2008, 11:22 AM
Team Owner

Received 2,102 Likes on 1,161 Posts
Sounds like she's ready to give you a night to remember, one way or another.
Old 04-20-2008, 11:29 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

^ That's pretty good man. Yeah, I agree, abstinence is a must for this sort of thing. Funny how the women who are compromised, are often some of the nicest women out there (personality-wise). Like they know they can't be a bitch, play hard to get and give a man constant drama because of their dilemma. The two women who I knew were very nice. And looked the part. I am curious as to how easy to get along with they would be if they weren't "compromised"! Meh...good luck dude!
Old 04-20-2008, 11:48 AM
Team Owner

The 2 kids to me is the large concern as well. Especially since you called then "huge bummer."
Old 04-20-2008, 12:05 PM
Land of Pleasant Living

Two kids and doesn't drive??
She have two bum legs or something?
How the hell can you have kids and not drive?

Two kids, herpes, long distance, no vehicle... seems like quite a bit to overlook because you guys hit it off.
Old 04-20-2008, 12:06 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Suit is funny as shit!

Negatives that you have to weigh:
- Lives a good distance away
- She doesn't drive
- two Kids (huge bummer)
- teh Herps
- She's very cute and my preference in body type (CAN ALSO BE A NEGATIVE CUZ OF TEH HERPES!! (you can't hit it)

Those are some serious negatives! No car AND lives a long way? And when I get there I don't even wanna spend the night because I'm looking at her sexy ass and I can't smash her?? Sheeyitt!

Don't you just hate it when the good ones are "untouchable"?
Old 04-20-2008, 12:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,097 Likes on 831 Posts
If you do go foward with the relationship will, make sure that she is taking Valtrex.

here some info on the drug.
http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic/valacyclovir_ids.htm
Old 04-20-2008, 12:51 PM
I shave my change purse

Sorry, forgot to mention that she's been on valtrex for a while now.
Old 04-20-2008, 07:28 PM
Terigan...

For her to tell you is a HUGE deal, especially considering her past experiences with guys running for the hills, respect her for that, but don't feel obligated to stay.

Are you looking for a long term relationship? If yeah, then maybe you can deal with not having sex until you either

a) get over it and are willing the risk - it is a risk no matter how small the %
b) you know it will adversly affect the relationship - at which point you end it.

If no, well then end it now and be friends if you both can handle it.

That being said, I honestly think the other issues you brought up have more of a negative effect than the herpes.
Old 04-20-2008, 07:39 PM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
Old 04-20-2008, 07:45 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Originally Posted by furious1smitul
That being said, I honestly think the other issues you brought up have more of a negative effect than the herpes.
What?

- Lives a good distance away - SHE CAN MOVE CLOSER
- She doesn't drive - SHE CAN BUY A CAR OR A BUS PASS
- two Kids (huge bummer) - DAD CAN TAKE THEM
- teh Herps - LUGGAGE, HERE FOREVER, NOT GOING ANYWHERE, COULD CATCH AND YOUR SEX LIFE IS OVER!!!
Old 04-20-2008, 07:57 PM
Terigan...

What?

- Lives a good distance away - SHE CAN MOVE CLOSER - Really? She'd move this early in a relationship? It would be "serious" before no?
- She doesn't drive - SHE CAN BUY A CAR OR A BUS PASS - Agreed, was not referring to this at all
- two Kids (huge bummer) - DAD CAN TAKE THEM - They are there to stay, they can go away for a weekend/week/two weeks, they are her kids and that's permanent.
- teh Herps - LUGGAGE, HERE FOREVER, NOT GOING ANYWHERE, COULD CATCH AND YOUR SEX LIFE IS OVER!!! - Everyone has baggage, agreed this is serious as it is something that you will then carry.
^ Fair enough, to each his/her own... I expect that response from you because you seem to be all about your sex life as opposed to the relationship - no offense intended, just an observation. Not everyone is the same as you and others with your views.
Old 04-20-2008, 08:11 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

^ Hahaha...the kids part was a joke. But you miss the point because you are too busy trying to say the "right thing". Everything about that situation can change except the herpes. So whether you are serious about sex or not, it is the more serious problem. Right now they are casual. But that very serious problem doesn't care if he loves her or likes her, if he gets it - LUGGAGE! How do you like your chances with it? I bet you would care about your sex life then!
Old 04-20-2008, 08:31 PM
Terigan...

^ Hahaha...the kids part was a joke. But you miss the point because you are too busy trying to say the "right thing". Everything about that situation can change except the herpes. So whether you are serious about sex or not, it is the more serious problem. Right now they are casual. But that very serious problem doesn't care if he loves her or likes her, if he gets it - LUGGAGE! How do you like your chances with it? I bet you would care about your sex life then!
Not trying to say the right thing. I am sharing my opinion as to how I would approach the situation and my view. Agree with it or not, it was my perspective to the question posed by the OP.

That being said, you make valid points and I do not dismiss them as being false/negative/wrong etc... I am just of a different belief.
Old 04-20-2008, 08:32 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Originally Posted by furious1smitul
Not trying to say the right thing. I am sharing my opinion as to how I would approach the situation and my view. Agree with it or not, it was my perspective to the question posed by the OP.

That being said, you make valid points and I do not dismiss them as being false/negative/wrong etc... I am just of a different belief.
I feel ya on that...
Old 04-20-2008, 10:32 PM
Old Man Yelling at Clouds

Received 7,362 Likes on 3,906 Posts
Originally Posted by WILLDOGS
Rofl, I can't believe you guys are talking about marriage, just met her.
Only because marriage is probably the only outcome where you'd want to entertain the possibility of sex.

You're in an interesting spot. Actually, you may be in a better position (from a relationship standpoint) to know if there is a true future or not, because you essentially have to proceed with a non-sexual relationship. You'll get a great read on "the real her" without sex distorting things. A lot of people might advise that's the best way to start things off.

I wish you luck. Not an easy spot to be in.
Old 04-20-2008, 10:38 PM
Old Man Yelling at Clouds

Received 7,362 Likes on 3,906 Posts
I think you're missing the alternate perspective - or at least not typing it.

If he truly finds the love of his life, the no-doubt-be-with-her-until-death-do-us-part woman, he may fully decide to jump in and take his chances. Not terribly probable, but certainly one possible alternative. In that scenario, it's not really luggage - you'd more or less have to resign yourself to getting it, but if you're also resigned to be with that woman the rest of your life, then you deal with it. It's a rare sort that would make that decision, but as I said, possible.

And I don't think that's the right answer, it's an answer, just like bolting now is an answer. "Right" in this case in whatever the OP decides is right for him.
Old 04-20-2008, 10:49 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Originally Posted by 1Louder
I think you're missing the alternate perspective - or at least not typing it.
Nah, I covered all of that in post #18!
Old 04-21-2008, 05:16 AM
hates the winter

I have never dealt with this situation before, but my close friend has.

This girl that we are both friends with was dating this guy who made it very obvious that he was a player, and cheated on her all the time. We always said "wow, what a waste of a hot girl"

Fast forward 6 months, we run into her and she's single. I told my friend to go for it as I really wasn't interested (too tall, loud voice). So they hit it off, we all hung out for a while. One night he takes her back to his place, and they start to fool around. He goes to put his hand down her pants and she says "STOP" So he figures no biggie she has her period. LOL RIiiiiight. So she then tells him how her ex cheated on her and gave her herpes.

He quickly fell asleep, and from that point on he remained friends with her even though she wanted something more. He played it off as if he didn't want to settle down, just have fun and date different people. They still talk on occasion, and there is no bad blood between them.

It's a scary situation and I don't think I'd ever be able to start a relationship with a girl that had any type of STD. It's just not worth it. They need to make a Herpesmatch.com or some shit.
Old 04-21-2008, 06:11 AM
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Originally Posted by ChrisQ1980
They need to make a Herpesmatch.com or some shit.
Hahahahahaha aww that's some fucked up shit!!! funny tho. But my input on this situation is...the 40 year old virgin approach. if it turns out you guys are meant to be than wait till the wedding night or whatever and at least that way the consequence is somewhat diminished by the fact that it was obtained from someone who you love and intend to love for the rest of your life. but for now...keep it PG
Old 04-21-2008, 07:47 AM
Team Owner

https://acurazine.com/forums/dating-relationships-14/herpes-question-376873/

Read through this. There is some info in there.

OP, I think you have a lot of reservations. Maybe you will be better off moving on.

IMHO, there are probably quite a few folks on here that have herpes or have been with someone with it. No one comes out and says it. I think you have definately hooked up with someone with it. Statistics kinda says that you have. This woman is at least responsible enough to tell you.

Quick Reply: Herpes