Dating & Relationships Love sucks. Now you can cry about it…

Herpes

Old 05-06-2008, 05:28 PM
werd

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
[QUOTE=surfer rick]
Originally Posted by TS_eXpeed
Not quite understanding what you are trying to say. If you are trying to ask if cold sores show up on STD test, no.

If you have
1- Had sexual contact with someone while having a cold sore
2- Had sexual contact at all really...cold sore or not

You are incorrect on multiple counts. First, a significant percentage of people with herpes are not "aware" they have herpes because the primary outbreak was either not recognized or believed to be a different condition (jock itch or yeast infection) or did not have symptoms (subclinical infection).

"Cold sores" or herpes orolabialis represent infection typically with HSV TYPE 1. Serologic testing with antibodies would document exposure to this virus. It's the same test performed for genital herpes, typically caused by HSV TYPE 2, except with different epitope markers for the diagnostic antibodies. It is true that children may acquire herpes orolabialis at a young age, possibly by sharing a drink with a parent or other close personal contact with a parent or relative who has a history of herpes orolabialis.

The majority of cases of herpes transmission, both type 1 and 2, occur when the infected person is asymptomatic. It makes sense that a person with active lesions, i.e. open sores, would be more contagious. However, if a pt knowingly has an active outbreak, they would obviously exercise more caution in avoiding personal contact which may transmit the HSV virus. This is in contradistinction to asymptomatic shedding, where the infected person is not aware they have active viral shedding, and thus may be more prone to engage in behavior such as kissing or intercourse which would facilitate said transmission of HSV virus.

Whew! It's like i'm teaching medical students again
So basically everyone has Herpes. Got it.

/Throws condoms away
Old 05-06-2008, 05:55 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by amisconception

/Throws condoms away
I know right! Dayyyuuummmmm!!!
Old 05-06-2008, 06:00 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts
Yeah, it's pretty gnarly amis.

"Genital herpes simplex is one of the most common sexually transmitted diseases (STDs). The prevalence of HSV-2 infection in the United States ranges from 20% to 60%. The average man in the United States has a 40% to 60% chance of having been infected with this virus."

Arndt K.A. and Hsu J.T.S. Manual of Dermatologic Therapeutics. 2007. Pg 94.

Welcome to bachelorhood in the 21st century playa. I'd say getting a girl preggers is not your ONLY concern eh?
Old 05-06-2008, 06:29 PM
werd

Originally Posted by surfer rick
Yeah, it's pretty gnarly amis.

"Genital herpes simplex is one of the most common sexually transmitted diseases (STDs). The prevalence of HSV-2 infection in the United States ranges from 20% to 60%. The average man in the United States has a 40% to 60% chance of having been infected with this virus."

Arndt K.A. and Hsu J.T.S. Manual of Dermatologic Therapeutics. 2007. Pg 94.

Welcome to bachelorhood in the 21st century playa. I'd say getting a girl preggers is not your ONLY concern eh?
Sadly, it's not the only concern
Old 05-06-2008, 06:37 PM
Suzuka Master

Sadly, it's not the only concern
STD>texting ex FTL!
Old 05-06-2008, 07:05 PM
I miss my 03 CL-S :(

Received 445 Likes on 214 Posts
lol
Old 05-06-2008, 08:59 PM
Team Owner

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts
Surfer Rick, I understand what you are saying about the cold sores, but cold sores and the herpes being discussed here are completely different.
Old 05-06-2008, 08:59 PM
Team Owner

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts

/Throws condoms away
Old 05-06-2008, 09:33 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by TS_eXpeed
Surfer Rick, I understand what you are saying about the cold sores, but cold sores and the herpes being discussed here are completely different.
True in so far as cold sores=herpes orolabialis and our boy is talking about genital herpes. But "cold sores" or herpes orolabialis/HSV-1 can be transmitted from the mouth/lips to the partner's genitalia and vice-versa. That's why HSV 1 can be cultured from penile or vaginal ulcerations, albeit infrequently. Epidemiologically speaking, the popularity of oral sex has been felt to contribute to the occurrence of HSV-2 being cultured from oral lesions and HSV-1 from genital ulcerations. At least that's why I learned in med school. If you are a recipient of oral sex (i.e. getting some brain), and are not using a condom, you can contract genital herpes if your lady has a history of "cold sores." That's all I'm saying.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:38 PM
Suzuka Master

Plus to be thorough when I perform an STD work-up on patients, I check for antibodies against BOTH HSV-1 and HSV-2, do an RPR for syphilis, and ELISA for HIV. Reason being is I've seen first hand genital herpes being caused by HSV-1 (which usually causes cold sores/herpes orolabialis). The point is either HSV-1 or HSV-2 can cause genital herpes and it would present with identical lesions. More often than not, genital herpes is caused by HSV-2. But that's not always the case.
Old 05-07-2008, 01:15 AM
Land of Pleasant Living

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's amazing how many people think cold sores aren't herpes.
I guess it just sounds better!

Me and my current GF of 2.5 years both have had oral herpes since we were very young.
We engage in unprotected oral sex, and neither have gotten sores on our genitals (no girl I've been with in the past has complained of such things either).
I think it's highly unlikely that we will spread it if we don't have sores.
I've been told since I was about 14 that I just have to make sure not to do anything when the sore is there, but that otherwise it's fine.
The first I heard of asymptomatic transmission was on some Valtrex commercial, where I just figured they were trying to scare people into buying the pills.
Surfer Rick, you're the only doctor I've heard affirming this (not that I usually talk to doctors).
I'm not saying you're wrong, just saying how new this is to me.
It has me nervous, but my experience has told me that I don't have much to worry about.
Maybe I should go talk to my doctor soon
Old 05-07-2008, 01:45 AM
Land of Pleasant Living

Well I just did some quick reading.
It seems that, yes, it is possible to spread it without signs of an outbreak, but it is a very low risk. The reason why they say it is so commonly spread without signs is because when there is a sign, people are much more likely to not engage in risky behavior. But when there is no sign, they assume normal sexual practices.

It's like your house catching fire when you're asleep.
If you have working smoke detectors, you're going to know about the fire right away and stop it quickly.
If your smoke detectors aren't working, it's more likely that you will be unaware, and the fire will spread.
It's not that having faulty smoke detectors makes your house more flammable, but it's more likely it will burn down because you won't know about a fire.

Likewise, if you have an outbreak, you're going to take appropriate action. If there's no warning, you probably won't. It doesn't mean you're more susceptible to transmitting/contracting the virus (actually, it seems it's just the opposite!), it just means that you're more likely to not know to take action. Thus, it's common to spread the virus when there are no signs of an outbreak, rather than when when there are signs.

Regardless, it seems that YOU run a low risk of transmitting/contracting the virus when there are no signs of an outbreak! I feel a bit relieved.
Old 05-07-2008, 01:42 PM
Suzuka Master

Yes, you're correct and i mentioned this in post 78.

"The majority of cases of herpes transmission, both type 1 and 2, occur when the infected person is asymptomatic. It makes sense that a person with active lesions, i.e. open sores, would be more contagious. However, if a pt knowingly has an active outbreak, they would obviously exercise more caution in avoiding personal contact which may transmit the HSV virus. This is in contradistinction to asymptomatic shedding, where the infected person is not aware they have active viral shedding, and thus may be more prone to engage in behavior such as kissing or intercourse which would facilitate said transmission of HSV virus."

The analogy you detailed actually is very good and one i can use with patient education about this disease.

Just because you and your girlfriend have a history of herpes orolabialis but do not have genital herpes DOESN'T mean it can't happen in the future, or that it can't happen with others. You're probably a young, healthy guy with a strong immune system.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, i'm not preaching the gospel, just trying to educate. But to assume that cold sores does not equal herpes is to be in f-in denial.
Old 05-07-2008, 01:53 PM
Suzuka Master

"In women with recurrent genital herpes, virus is present for a mean of 4.8 days, while 16% may continue to shed virus from lesions after 6 days. Asymptomatic shedding of HSV has also been demonstrated from both oropharyngeal and genital sites at low rates without evident lesions.

The most recent studies suggest that most transmission of genital herpes occurs from persons who asymptomatically shed virus.

The annual risk of transmission from a sexual partner with genital herpes in a heterosexual relationship is approximately 10%"

Arndt K.A. and Hsu J.T.S. Manual of Dermatologic Therapeutics. 7th edition. 2007. pg 94.
Old 05-07-2008, 02:01 PM
Race Director

very informational this thread has been
Old 05-07-2008, 03:35 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
"In women with recurrent genital herpes, virus is present for a mean of 4.8 days, while 16% may continue to shed virus from lesions after 6 days. Asymptomatic shedding of HSV has also been demonstrated from both oropharyngeal and genital sites at low rates without evident lesions.

The most recent studies suggest that most transmission of genital herpes occurs from persons who asymptomatically shed virus.

The annual risk of transmission from a sexual partner with genital herpes in a heterosexual relationship is approximately 10%"

Arndt K.A. and Hsu J.T.S. Manual of Dermatologic Therapeutics. 7th edition. 2007. pg 94.
WTF???? What is the world coming to??...

Control Tower: Darksom1, please report!
Darksom1: Reporting
Tower: Darksom1, we have identified a suspect female spotted in the approximate vicinity of your bedroom.
Darksom1: Affirmative Tower. Female suspected of asymptomatically shedding Les Herpes is within sight.
Tower: Prepare to approach.
Darksom1: Ready
Tower: Put on your specially formulated govt. issued Magnum w/complete groin coverage and anti-HSV ointment
Darksom1: Check
Tower: Now don your Maximum Orolabialis Utility Tongue Harness for complete Les Herpes protection!
Tower: Have you set your egg timer for minimum contact time with the suspect female?
Darksom1: But sir...
Tower: Do as we say Darksom1 or you will not engage the target!!! Is that clear?
Tower: You now have clearance from the Tower Darksom1. You may proceed, but we will be watching! Tower out!
Darksom1: Over and out!

Old 05-07-2008, 03:44 PM
werd

Old 05-07-2008, 04:10 PM
Suzuka Master

Soon we'll all be wearing hazmat suits in the sack
Old 05-07-2008, 04:56 PM
Land of Pleasant Living

Yes, you're correct and i mentioned this in post 78.

"The majority of cases of herpes transmission, both type 1 and 2, occur when the infected person is asymptomatic. It makes sense that a person with active lesions, i.e. open sores, would be more contagious. However, if a pt knowingly has an active outbreak, they would obviously exercise more caution in avoiding personal contact which may transmit the HSV virus. This is in contradistinction to asymptomatic shedding, where the infected person is not aware they have active viral shedding, and thus may be more prone to engage in behavior such as kissing or intercourse which would facilitate said transmission of HSV virus."
This thread was the first time I've really heard this stuff from a doctor and not a commercial. Like I said, I had to do my own reading to really understand/believe.
The analogy you detailed actually is very good and one i can use with patient education about this disease.
Cool, glad it's helpful.

Just because you and your girlfriend have a history of herpes orolabialis but do not have genital herpes DOESN'T mean it can't happen in the future, or that it can't happen with others. You're probably a young, healthy guy with a strong immune system.
Oh I know it can still happen. I'm just a bit relieved about the likelihood of it happening. I'm going to extend our "waiting period" until about a week after an outbreak clears up. I want to be a little more cautious now, but I'm not going to go overkill on this. I'm glad I understand this all a bit better, because if I didn't, I probably wouldn't do anything differently.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, i'm not preaching the gospel, just trying to educate. But to assume that cold sores does not equal herpes is to be in f-in denial.
Werd, people are always like "I get cold sores but ewww not herpes."
Old 05-07-2008, 05:18 PM
Suzuka Master

Props for the responsible 22 y/o
Old 05-08-2008, 12:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by furious1smitul
For her to tell you is a HUGE deal, especially considering her past experiences with guys running for the hills, respect her for that, but don't feel obligated to stay.

Are you looking for a long term relationship? If yeah, then maybe you can deal with not having sex until you either

a) get over it and are willing the risk - it is a risk no matter how small the %
b) you know it will adversly affect the relationship - at which point you end it.

If no, well then end it now and be friends if you both can handle it.

That being said, I honestly think the other issues you brought up have more of a negative effect than the herpes.
I totally agree. I think the other issues are bigger to deal with. As a side note, one of my friends married a guy with herpes and they are very happy and have a kid and everything. He wasn't even honest about it up front!! I really think while you have a lot in common and get along..it's going to be the other issues that will end up being a problem and they you'll be left thinking "is it worth the risk?!"
Old 05-08-2008, 10:57 PM
I shave my change purse

Received 155 Likes on 87 Posts
Well it's over.

I just broke it off with her and she is heartbroken. It wasn't easy but there were other issues that I was not comfortable with such as her short temper and the kids/herpes factor I could never get over.

No I never hit it, but it came close a few times and I kept stopping the sexual advances which I KNOW bothered her.

All in all she was great to me. Very caring, did everything for me, always showed affection etc etc. She was pretty much all about me and would bend over backwards for any little thing I asked for.

Something just didn't feel right and when I thought in my head whether or not I would ever bring her to meet the parents or back to my apartment (which I tried so hard not to do) the resounding answer in my head was NO. This was not the girl that I would be doing either with. And, as time went on, I figured out that it was most likely a rebound and I was just enjoying her company more than anything since I was feeling real lonely when I met her and in turn felt vulnerable.

So Basically I feel like a dick right now because i've broken someone's heart and I can only imagine how much she is at home crying right now, but I have to think about the best for me and not worry about other peoples feelings (as much as that sounds fucked up).

Thanks for the HELP TO EVERYONE. If anything this experience has taught me alot and has probably opened the eyes of many forum members who have read this thread.

Surfer Rick - A special shout out to you lol.
Old 05-09-2008, 02:27 AM
Land of Pleasant Living

Well good luck in the future man. Glad you realized this stuff before you went and got your dick wet.

So Basically I feel like a dick right now because i've broken someone's heart and I can only imagine how much she is at home crying right now, but I have to think about the best for me and not worry about other peoples feelings (as much as that sounds fucked up).
Just think: though she may be hurt right now, everything would be much worse for the both of you if you let it continue after realizing she's not for you.

Last edited by shnee; 05-09-2008 at 02:30 AM.
Old 05-09-2008, 07:45 AM
Terigan...

Sorry it didn't work out for you guys, sounds like there were quite a few issues to get over and that she was truly a rebound... As you said, the situation has been a learning experience and so take from it the positive.

Good luck in the future man.
Old 05-09-2008, 08:12 AM
I shave my change purse

Thanks Guys.

I just got 3 phone calls and 10 text messages this morning of her crying. This sucks. Should I ignore her? I've tried telling her thats it and she keeps asking me how I can end this since we had so much in common and having a decent run with eachother. she feels as if it were a bit sudden.
I don't want to call her back in fear that it may give her some hope but I also feel like an asshole just ignoring her.

Jesus Christ she is acting as if I broke it off after 10 years and not just a few weeks.
Old 05-09-2008, 08:15 AM
I shave my change purse

Worst part about it is that I know the sex would have been extraordinary. She is a very sexual/sensual person from what she has told me and how it felt during out "make out" sessions. She is a freak and would tell me all the fantasies she had with me and couldn't wait to do. Shit I never thought I could find another chick to do with me. Like porn movie, leather, toys, tying up spanking, gagging type shit
Old 05-09-2008, 10:16 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by WILLDOGS
Worst part about it is that I know the sex would have been extraordinary. She is a very sexual/sensual person from what she has told me and how it felt during out "make out" sessions. She is a freak and would tell me all the fantasies she had with me and couldn't wait to do. Shit I never thought I could find another chick to do with me. Like porn movie, leather, toys, tying up spanking, gagging type shit
There are other women out there into that stuff..trust me. If you stuck around just to have some good sex when there were issues, you'd end up making things worse if it didn't work out..not to mention risking your health. Go with your gut on this one and don't let your dick do the thinking.
Old 05-09-2008, 10:38 AM
COME AT ME BRO!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by SaraWI
There are other women out there into that stuff..trust me. If you stuck around just to have some good sex when there were issues, you'd end up making things worse if it didn't work out..not to mention risking your health. Go with your gut on this one and don't let your dick do the thinking.
x2
Old 05-09-2008, 10:39 AM
Go Giants

Received 1,234 Likes on 823 Posts
Poor girl....
Old 05-09-2008, 10:55 AM
2008 Acura TL

Received 197 Likes on 183 Posts
Herpes. The gift that keeps on giving. But seriously, you have to look out for yourself.
Old 05-09-2008, 02:09 PM
Suzuka Master

Surfer Rick - A special shout out to you lol.
No worries bro! You know I'm protective of my fellow a'ziners Keep in touch if you have any other questions.

Thinking with brain>thinking with dick
Willdogs FTW!
Old 05-09-2008, 02:16 PM
Team Owner

Received 599 Likes on 417 Posts
Originally Posted by SaraWI
WILLDOGS meet Sara. I believe she is into the kink.
Old 05-09-2008, 03:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RaviNJCLs
WILLDOGS meet Sara. I believe she is into the kink.
Who me??? Naaaahhhhh....

Old 05-09-2008, 03:09 PM
I shave my change purse

Helloooo Sara how you doin
Old 05-09-2008, 05:04 PM
hates the winter

LOL this might be her....

http://longisland.craigslist.org/msr/660153374.html
Old 05-09-2008, 06:00 PM
Back in a TL again.

^^
Old 05-09-2008, 06:02 PM
Old Man Yelling at Clouds

Received 7,362 Likes on 3,906 Posts
Helloooo Sara how you doin

But seriously, hang in there. Breaking up is never easy. It's hard right now because she's so upset and because there is a lot about her you did like, seeing her upset will be hard. She'll get over it. Wish you the best of luck with the next one -
Old 05-09-2008, 06:11 PM
I miss my 03 CL-S :(

Received 445 Likes on 214 Posts
Do not call her back. Break it off clean. You've had your rebound, now go hang out around STD clinics and fuck the first female that comes out with a smile in their face.
Old 05-09-2008, 06:14 PM
Go B's Go

Thinking with brain>thinking with dick
I concur haha
Old 05-10-2008, 02:15 AM
I shave my change purse

Wow Pshyco!

She's been leaving me numerous txt msg's and myspace messages going from "she's ok and will get over it" to the next message saying how much she hates me to then a voicemail saying she has a bottle of sleeping pills in front of her and she is contemplating taking them all to then another voicemail saying to disregard her previous one and that she didn't mean it.

WTF

I feel bad in a sense, I never like doing this to anyone, but on the other hand I can see her true craziness now. Although, getting dumped will sure make you do/say crazy things

She's telling me that becasue of her Herpes, this is what happens everytime and she's tired of it.

Quick Reply: Herpes