Dating & Relationships Love sucks. Now you can cry about it…
View Poll Results: Would you abort a pregnancy?
Pro-choice
60.51%
Pro-life
16.92%
Depends
22.56%
Voters: 195. You may not vote on this poll

Abortion?

Old 10-27-2006, 08:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,672 Likes on 932 Posts
Originally Posted by fdl
I can imagine.

I just found out that my friend and his wife are having trouble having a child. They have been trying for a couple of years now, but apparently there is a problem with her. They are now contemplating finding an egg donor, and are both pretty down about the whole situation.

The sad twist,.. is that my friends wife had been pregnant before, and had an abortion.
Old 10-30-2006, 07:38 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 150 Likes on 109 Posts
Originally Posted by F23A4
I recall when my mother recommended an abortion soon after she found out that I (then 20 y/o, college student, zero income, no savings) got my girlfriend (19 y/o, fairly recent immigrant, college student, zero income, small savings) pregnant.

Although I was an agnostic, pro choice liberal back then, I was still personally against abortion and decided against my mother's recommendation (although I briefly considered it). The idea just did not sit well for me. (Maybe this was a sign that being a somewhat conservative, Born Again follower of Christ was in my future. )

Fast forward to 2006: I have been married to that 'girlfriend' for 16 1/2 years and have an AWESOME 16 y/o son (who happens to know more about cars than yours truly), a TERRIFIC 14 y/o daughter (who I suspect may have a future in US politics), and a surprise blessing on the way. (When I look at my son, I literally shed a tear when I think that abortion was even a consideration.)

The road I traveled has not been easy but, it was/is well worth the trip.
Still, had he been aborted you would never have come to know and love him so this feeling wouldn't be possible. Good for you though I'm glad it worked out well
Old 10-30-2006, 07:55 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CUNextTuesday
Still, had he been aborted you would never have come to know and love him so this feeling wouldn't be possible. Good for you though I'm glad it worked out well

And isn't he lucky that he did come to know and love him? Wouldn't MOST aborted children end up being loved by someone? Friends, family, spouse. Is it fair to assume otherwise in all cases?

Your reasoning is that it is OK to kill a baby if we don't know them as a person yet. This way, we don't know what we are missing. If I kill a baby 1 minute after birth, does the situation change? How about 1 hour? 1 day? By your logic we would be justified in putting all homeless people to sleep. As long as they don't feel it, and no one will miss them, then it is justified.
Old 10-30-2006, 08:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by fdl
And isn't he lucky that he did come to know and love him? Wouldn't MOST aborted children end up being loved by someone? Friends, family, spouse. Is it fair to assume otherwise in all cases?

Your reasoning is that it is OK to kill a baby if we don't know them as a person yet. This way, we don't know what we are missing. If I kill a baby 1 minute after birth, does the situation change? How about 1 hour? 1 day? By your logic we would be justified in putting all homeless people to sleep. As long as they don't feel it, and no one will miss them, then it is justified.
That's not really what I meant at all. I was saying that he would never be able to shed that tear had his son been aborted, which seems like I'm just stating the obvious now that I think about it. I didn't say anything about justifying an abortion.

And yes, I think he is lucky that he has a family that he loves and cares for - that's why I said "I'm glad it worked out well"
Old 10-31-2006, 10:58 AM
Team Owner

Received 602 Likes on 419 Posts
Originally Posted by F23A4
I recall when my mother recommended an abortion soon after she found out that I (then 20 y/o, college student, zero income, no savings) got my girlfriend (19 y/o, fairly recent immigrant, college student, zero income, small savings) pregnant.

Although I was an agnostic, pro choice liberal back then, I was still personally against abortion and decided against my mother's recommendation (although I briefly considered it). The idea just did not sit well for me. (Maybe this was a sign that being a somewhat conservative, Born Again follower of Christ was in my future. )

Fast forward to 2006: I have been married to that 'girlfriend' for 16 1/2 years and have an AWESOME 16 y/o son (who happens to know more about cars than yours truly), a TERRIFIC 14 y/o daughter (who I suspect may have a future in US politics), and a surprise blessing on the way. (When I look at my son, I literally shed a tear when I think that abortion was even a consideration.)

The road I traveled has not been easy but, it was/is well worth the trip.
You know....the thing about your situation is that you MANNED UP. You took care of your responsibility and it made you into the person you probably are. Good for you. I would like to think I would have done the same.

Most people at that age with that much going on and are immature don't feel the same and won't respond the same way.
Old 10-31-2006, 04:37 PM
is learning to moonwalk i

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I've followed this thread pretty much all the way through and I don't think we ever touched on the situation where the female would have major problems if her parents found out she was pregnant. Of course, most parents aren't too thrilled when their young daughters encounter an unplanned pregnancy, but some become (more) abusive when they find out their little girl is (gasp) sexually active. Prohibiting abortion or requiring parental approval would jeapordize both the female's life along with any chance at having a health child.
Old 10-31-2006, 05:27 PM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by moeronn
I've followed this thread pretty much all the way through and I don't think we ever touched on the situation where the female would have major problems if her parents found out she was pregnant. Of course, most parents aren't too thrilled when their young daughters encounter an unplanned pregnancy, but some become (more) abusive when they find out their little girl is (gasp) sexually active. Prohibiting abortion or requiring parental approval would jeapordize both the female's life along with any chance at having a health child.
I cannot support an abortion that occurs because a girl doesn't want to get yelled at by mommy and daddy. And we live in a age where if your parents are going to beat you (especially while pregnant) you can do something about it.
Old 10-31-2006, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by GIBSON6594
I cannot support an abortion that occurs because a girl doesn't want to get yelled at by mommy and daddy. And we live in a age where if your parents are going to beat you (especially while pregnant) you can do something about it.
That doesn't do any good when anything you do will be after the fact.
Old 10-31-2006, 06:05 PM
My Garage

That doesn't do any good when anything you do will be after the fact.
What doesn't do any good?
Old 10-31-2006, 06:12 PM

What doesn't do any good?
The parent(s) getting in trouble with the law AFTER beating the hell out of the pregnant child.
Old 10-31-2006, 06:24 PM
My Garage

The parent(s) getting in trouble with the law AFTER beating the hell out of the pregnant child.
Yea, but that's always the case until time machines are invented or pre-cognitive crimes come into existance a la Minority Report
Old 10-31-2006, 06:30 PM
Suzuka Master

It's not exactly simple though...
Old 10-31-2006, 07:15 PM
My Garage

It's not exactly simple though...
Never said it was...
Old 10-31-2006, 07:33 PM
Suzuka Master

It seemed implied.

Anyway, I agree with moeronn, I don't think parents should have to know. Of course this is coming from a teenagers perspective. I'm sure most parents out there would want the opposite.
Old 10-31-2006, 08:28 PM
Spinnin them beats

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
<--- A Catholic Freshman in a Catholic High School

you would guess i am pro-life
i am

however, that is open to speculation. Since i am raised catholic, my thoughts are to preserve life. Our society is based heavly on apperence, what other people think of us and sex. Because i am catholic, again, sex was intended for those in a bond of marriage. Today, sex has become an everyday event, even for those who do not know each other. Because of today's society however, every situation is different. Rape, forced sex and numerous problems based on sex arise every day.

Being catholic, i believe "God" gave us this power to create another being. Who are we to take that away.

Being scientific, i believe that abortion is still a way of destroying/killing a being. Who are we to take a life - better, who are we to say what that person's life might be. "If" is a word that is very vague. However, each life is still important.

Most situations i would be pro-life, however, we still all are humans, humans make mistakes. Each mistake is different.
Old 10-31-2006, 09:02 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Acuraluvr

i am

however, that is open to speculation. Since i am raised catholic, my thoughts are to preserve life. Our society is based heavly on apperence, what other people think of us and sex. Because i am catholic, again, sex was intended for those in a bond of marriage. Today, sex has become an everyday event, even for those who do not know each other. Because of today's society however, every situation is different. Rape, forced sex and numerous problems based on sex arise every day.

Being catholic, i believe "God" gave us this power to create another being. Who are we to take that away.

Being scientific, i believe that abortion is still a way of destroying/killing a being. Who are we to take a life - better, who are we to say what that person's life might be. "If" is a word that is very vague. However, each life is still important.

Most situations i would be pro-life, however, we still all are humans, humans make mistakes. Each mistake is different.
So, um, do you think we should be celibate?
Old 11-01-2006, 09:56 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Acuraluvr

i am

Let's see if you feel the same way in a couple years.
Old 11-01-2006, 09:10 PM
Suzuka Master

I've never met a 14 year old with those thoughts on sex, ever.

I take that back...there was a kid who was a Jehovah's Witness in my grade back in highschool. He used to say that "masturbation is the handshake of the devil."
Old 11-02-2006, 06:06 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am pro-choice!! I think the choice should be the mothers since she is the one carrying the fetish.

I dont think i will say to much more, this looks to be a very heated discussion
Old 11-02-2006, 09:27 AM
Nom Nom Nom Nom

Received 76 Likes on 50 Posts
I'm surprised this thread is still going.
Old 11-02-2006, 09:45 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by SwervinCL
I'm surprised this thread is still going.
I'm surprised that it's still going and no one got banned because of it.
Old 11-02-2006, 02:43 PM
Suzuka Master

What merits a ban anyway?
Old 11-02-2006, 02:50 PM
Team Owner

Old 11-02-2006, 03:01 PM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by RaviNJCLs
I'm surprised that it's still going and no one got banned because of it.
Old 11-02-2006, 03:01 PM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
that question.
Old 11-02-2006, 03:06 PM
Suzuka Master

I'm interested to see what else Acuraluvr has to say because he's obviously not the typical 14 year old.
Old 11-02-2006, 03:27 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by MikeCLS6
I am pro-choice!! I think the choice should be the mothers since she is the one carrying the fetish.

I dont think i will say to much more, this looks to be a very heated discussion
Freudian slip perhaps?
Old 11-03-2006, 12:26 PM
East Coast Boost.!

damn i've been so busy lately with my job.

Speaking of abortions if anyone needs one, I just got my laundry back from the cleaners.
Old 11-05-2006, 05:13 AM
No TL until I have kids!

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Titand19
damn i've been so busy lately with my job.

Speaking of abortions if anyone needs one, I just got my laundry back from the cleaners.
i call dibs.
Old 11-05-2006, 05:16 AM
No TL until I have kids!

i had an abortion and then used the coathanger to break into a car to steal a head unit to pay for the counseling.

seriously though, every situation is different. i can see an indian girl getting killed by her parents if she was found to be pregnant, as does happen... so in some cases, it may be in a girl's best interest. but as for less severe cases, it's not my place to say either way because i am so not getting knocked up anytime soon.
Old 11-05-2006, 09:32 AM
East Coast Boost.!

Originally Posted by B18Ch1ck
i had an abortion and then used the coathanger to break into a car to steal a head unit to pay for the counseling.

Oddly enough I'm turned on by this remark
Old 11-05-2006, 11:40 AM
Suzuka Master

seriously though, every situation is different. i can see an indian girl getting killed by her parents if she was found to be pregnant, as does happen... so in some cases, it may be in a girl's best interest. but as for less severe cases, it's not my place to say either way because i am so not getting knocked up anytime soon.
That's something we havne't really discussed at all - cultures that wouldn't accept it. Some terrible shit happens in some countries and in those cases abortion might very well be the best option.
Old 11-06-2006, 02:22 PM
Suzuka Master

i am so not getting knocked up anytime soon.
That's what they all say....

Just keep on poppin' those pills.
Old 11-06-2006, 02:26 PM
Suzuka Master

^^

Condoms are no fun
Old 11-06-2006, 02:35 PM
Team Owner

That's something we havne't really discussed at all - cultures that wouldn't accept it. Some terrible shit happens in some countries and in those cases abortion might very well be the best option.
Sometimes it's better for all parties if there is no child. Where I grew up it's not very common. I know it happens, but the norm is that if a woman gets pregnant, 9 months later there is a crying baby.
Old 11-06-2006, 04:39 PM
No TL until I have kids!

^^

Condoms are no fun

Honestly, I wouldn't know since I've never EVER used one. I've only slept with one person, and I'm the only person they've slept with... so I'm pretty goddamn spoiled in that department, but I'll take your word for it.
Old 11-06-2006, 05:29 PM
Suzuka Master

Honestly, I wouldn't know since I've never EVER used one. I've only slept with one person, and I'm the only person they've slept with... so I'm pretty goddamn spoiled in that department, but I'll take your word for it.
Yeah just be careful bout the pills and such; they need to be taken properly in order to be as effective as possible.
Old 11-06-2006, 06:53 PM

Received 162 Likes on 134 Posts
I've never met a 14 year old with those thoughts on sex, ever.

I take that back...there was a kid who was a Jehovah's Witness in my grade back in highschool. He used to say that "masturbation is the handshake of the devil."
Don't get me started on them. They made the mistake once of waking me up while hungover at 8:00 AM on a Saturday morning. We didn't talk long...
Old 11-06-2006, 06:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Scottman111
Don't get me started on them. They made the mistake once of waking me up while hungover at 8:00 AM on a Saturday morning. We didn't talk long...
hahaha...I saw this video once of some college kids who were woken up much like you (though I don't think it was Jehovah's Witnesses, some other religious group though). They got a bunch of water balloons and water guns and soaked them. It was hilarious because the two people trying to convert them started cursing and tried to attack them.
Old 11-06-2006, 10:05 PM
No TL until I have kids!

Yeah just be careful bout the pills and such; they need to be taken properly in order to be as effective as possible.
Yeah, like I get laid anymore.