Console & Computer Gaming Latest news in the world of gaming. Xbox One, PS4, and more…

PS3: Ninja Gaiden Sigma...

Old 08-08-2007, 11:23 AM
Money is funny.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
awesome write up! Yes, the exploding shurikens are really what's messing me up. Everytime I get in the middle of a combo, they blow me up. I don't remember having so much trouble last time...the more i play, the more i think i accidentally chose the option to "abandon the way of the ninja" when I had a game over the first time around...I don't remember this being so tough!!! Sounds like my major problem was I didn't switchback to the sword after I killde the dinos. I used lunar the whole time after...as for easiest boss in the game...thanx for breaking my spirit man...*sob* I'm having my ass handed to me by a chump boss...
Old 08-08-2007, 11:32 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,663 Likes on 13,899 Posts
Originally Posted by poohlikeshunny
awesome write up! Yes, the exploding shurikens are really what's messing me up. Everytime I get in the middle of a combo, they blow me up. I don't remember having so much trouble last time...the more i play, the more i think i accidentally chose the option to "abandon the way of the ninja" when I had a game over the first time around...I don't remember this being so tough!!! Sounds like my major problem was I didn't switchback to the sword after I killde the dinos. I used lunar the whole time after...as for easiest boss in the game...thanx for breaking my spirit man...*sob* I'm having my ass handed to me by a chump boss...
Half the battle is knowing what and how to fight a particular enemy. This is why this game is so amazing and so deep. Each type of enemy has a different type of weakness and combination that works the most effectively.

Oh, I forgot to mention: as juggling is a good way to fight off the ninjas when it is down to 1 or 2, you should stick to the Lunar throughout the fight with them. And try to not be on the ground too much when there are three of them. Do LOTS of wall-flip attacks when fighting the group. ONLY resort to juggling and on the ground when it is down to 1 or 2 of them...

Also, I get the feeling that you're not blocking enough. I can't say enough how blocking is crucial. Of course, knowing when to roll after a block is also important since there are the attacks that break your guard. So...rolling as soon as your guard is broken is very important since all enemies will have an attack that follow RIGHT after their guard-breaker.
Old 08-08-2007, 11:41 AM
Money is funny.

I agree! Part of the depth of this game is that even the flunkies have patterns and strategy...

Juggling is real tough for me...i always get caught with a projectile...maybe I should try the wall thing more often. And I tried to roll from a guardbreak lately, but it doesn't seem to work for me...maybe my timing is off...for the counters, do you just poung the buttons or is there a specific time that you press it to properly counter? Counters save my ass alot, but i only get them off half of the time.
Old 08-08-2007, 11:55 AM
Senior Moderator

I agree! Part of the depth of this game is that even the flunkies have patterns and strategy...

Juggling is real tough for me...i always get caught with a projectile...maybe I should try the wall thing more often. And I tried to roll from a guardbreak lately, but it doesn't seem to work for me...maybe my timing is off...for the counters, do you just poung the buttons or is there a specific time that you press it to properly counter? Counters save my ass alot, but i only get them off half of the time.

I do not tend to utilize counters since they are so timing-precise. And again, with a large group of enemies, using a high-count combination is usually risky as the chance of being hit from behind is very high.

I am not sure what to say about your failed rolls out of guard-breaks. It would seem like you're possibly rolling during a large group fight and probably getting hit by one in the pack...So, again with both situations and to avoid it, try to stick to wall attacks OR try to get them all in front of you (if you see them all, you'll have a good idea of what is going to happen).

If the enemies are in front of you, you do not have to resort to as much wall-flip attacks...however, I still would try to use my walls. Also, a technique that is quite useful is a jump off the enemies head, followed by immediate hard slam attack right onto that same baddie. Do the same for another and then so on...you'll quickly make quick work out of the group as you're bouncing around with quick surgical hits and then away from that enemy or others before a hit can occur. Note again how I'm sticking to the air.

Slower moving weapons also come into play. With large packs of enemies, I always resort to speed...speed is your best friend IMO in this game. So, in most situations, I will be using either the Flails or Lunar...and nothing else. The only time I'll use the Dragon Blade is when I know a Flying Sparrow is needed or I'm against a boss where high-hit combos are useless (i.e. Alma). In the latter cases, bosses like Alma require a 2-3 stroke hit and then backing off because the longer you stay close, the higher the chance of you getting owned by a counterattack...

So, try to keep those basics in mind when jumping into any fray.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:02 PM
Senior Moderator

I'm gonna fire some cores at those stupid twin worms tonight. Here's hoping I can blow their wormy @$$es to next week.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:31 PM
Money is funny.

Originally Posted by Yumchah

I do not tend to utilize counters since they are so timing-precise. And again, with a large group of enemies, using a high-count combination is usually risky as the chance of being hit from behind is very high.

I am not sure what to say about your failed rolls out of guard-breaks. It would seem like you're possibly rolling during a large group fight and probably getting hit by one in the pack...So, again with both situations and to avoid it, try to stick to wall attacks OR try to get them all in front of you (if you see them all, you'll have a good idea of what is going to happen).

If the enemies are in front of you, you do not have to resort to as much wall-flip attacks...however, I still would try to use my walls. Also, a technique that is quite useful is a jump off the enemies head, followed by immediate hard slam attack right onto that same baddie. Do the same for another and then so on...you'll quickly make quick work out of the group as you're bouncing around with quick surgical hits and then away from that enemy or others before a hit can occur. Note again how I'm sticking to the air.

Slower moving weapons also come into play. With large packs of enemies, I always resort to speed...speed is your best friend IMO in this game. So, in most situations, I will be using either the Flails or Lunar...and nothing else. The only time I'll use the Dragon Blade is when I know a Flying Sparrow is needed or I'm against a boss where high-hit combos are useless (i.e. Alma). In the latter cases, bosses like Alma require a 2-3 stroke hit and then backing off because the longer you stay close, the higher the chance of you getting owned by a counterattack...

So, try to keep those basics in mind when jumping into any fray.
yeah, counters are very timing precise and it drives me nuts...but man do they save my ass!!! I'm gonna have to try that wall tactic tonight...i have been jumping off their heads by accident a lot lately. Is there a way to do it or is it just timing a jump right over an enemy's head? If I can do that infinitely and do some flying swallow in between, that may be a winner!

I'm at the end of ch 6 now trying to find the flails, but i think they may be in ch 7 instead...we'll see. But yeah, I learned real quick to get out after two or three hits when fighting alma...otherwise the game over screen becomes your best friend....lol...gl on those twin worms...what chapter is that now?
Old 08-08-2007, 12:40 PM
Senior Moderator

yeah, counters are very timing precise and it drives me nuts...but man do they save my ass!!! I'm gonna have to try that wall tactic tonight...i have been jumping off their heads by accident a lot lately. Is there a way to do it or is it just timing a jump right over an enemy's head? If I can do that infinitely and do some flying swallow in between, that may be a winner!

I'm at the end of ch 6 now trying to find the flails, but i think they may be in ch 7 instead...we'll see. But yeah, I learned real quick to get out after two or three hits when fighting alma...otherwise the game over screen becomes your best friend....lol...gl on those twin worms...what chapter is that now?
The head slice doesn't work well if the enemy blocks...this is why I recommend sticking to the Lunar or Flails when you are doing head and wall jump attacks.

No idea on the Chapter I'm on now. Just know that it's the sewers...which is after the train-ride which is after the tank attacks which are after the chopper fight.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:42 PM
Money is funny.

ah...chapter umpteen...i remember that...lol...the one dragon is next stage of rme...but i think i remember how to do it...yeah man, blocknig is so god damn crucial in this game it's awesome...i almost wish i could go back and play the xbox variety to see how it was...
Old 08-08-2007, 12:55 PM
Senior Moderator

ah...chapter umpteen...i remember that...lol...the one dragon is next stage of rme...but i think i remember how to do it...yeah man, blocknig is so god damn crucial in this game it's awesome...i almost wish i could go back and play the xbox variety to see how it was...
I have the Xbox original. Pretty much the same...just not as purdy in graphics. No bouncing bewbied stages with Rachel. And less weapons.
Old 08-08-2007, 01:32 PM
Money is funny.

well soudns like a losing bet then...lol...i'm real curious to see side by side comparisons of both versions...i know the ps3 version is real pretty, but is it a HUGE difference or just minor tweaking?
Old 08-08-2007, 01:34 PM
Senior Moderator

well soudns like a losing bet then...lol...i'm real curious to see side by side comparisons of both versions...i know the ps3 version is real pretty, but is it a HUGE difference or just minor tweaking?
Pssst...go to IGN.com and like, go to the Xbox game review and clickie on the in-game shots.

Then...do the same for the PS3 game review. Compare. Voila. Bam. No $$$$ on your part.

Or you could book yourself a ticket to where I am and fly up here. But like, that'll cost you alot more $$$$ and you may go nuts as I jabber non-stop about robots.

Old 08-08-2007, 01:41 PM
Money is funny.

well depending on where you are, my fam and i go up there often...lol...maybe we should have a mini meet...and i think we could jabber for awhile on the robots...my wife would just roll her eyes a lot...lol...i'm trying to get my boy on the right track too...lol...it all started with gundam wing and the deathscythe...his favorite!! lol...i really wanted an in person demo of the difference...but i guess ign will have to do...lol...i haven't been on there for days anyway...
Old 08-08-2007, 01:47 PM
Money is funny.

just went to ign...and i may be blind, but i don't see much of a diff in the pics...i take it the xbox does not run at 60fps?
Old 08-08-2007, 03:23 PM
Senior Moderator

^ Dunno the specs dude. I think the one stage where it really stood out was Stage 2 in the forest with the red falling leaves.
Old 08-08-2007, 03:25 PM
Senior Moderator

well depending on where you are, my fam and i go up there often...lol...maybe we should have a mini meet...and i think we could jabber for awhile on the robots...my wife would just roll her eyes a lot...lol...i'm trying to get my boy on the right track too...lol...it all started with gundam wing and the deathscythe...his favorite!! lol...i really wanted an in person demo of the difference...but i guess ign will have to do...lol...i haven't been on there for days anyway...
You're welcome to visit if you choose to visit the Great White North...drop me a line. I'm not in Eastern Canada however and so, you'll hafta make that extra trek west-bound.

Or...if you're lucky, I'm dispatched out to the Toronto-area for work which I'm apt to get from time to time.
Old 08-08-2007, 08:54 PM
Senior Moderator

Ah...stupid electro worms stage is Chapter 12.

Just wrapped up fighting that big skeleton-xenomorphalien-thingie. Ask away if you don't know how to beat him easy.
Old 08-09-2007, 08:53 AM
Money is funny.

You're welcome to visit if you choose to visit the Great White North...drop me a line. I'm not in Eastern Canada however and so, you'll hafta make that extra trek west-bound.

Or...if you're lucky, I'm dispatched out to the Toronto-area for work which I'm apt to get from time to time.
Sounds kinda cool actually. I think I may have to. International Asians UNITE!!! How far are you from Toronto? Maybe we'll have to hit up chinatown and catch a drink. You can meet my wife and gundam-obsessed baby in training. We do go to Toronto almost everytime we are up there. How's living? I actually always wanted to move to Canada...I wonder how well our family business would transfer over the border...

btw...I FINALLY BEAT THAT BOSS!!! I'm on Ch.7 now and so happy...you were right, staying in the air ALL the time made it so much easier to fight the ninjas on the way...and the flying swallow (now that i have mastered it) is one of the best moves EVAR!!!
Old 08-09-2007, 11:13 AM
Senior Moderator

Sounds kinda cool actually. I think I may have to. International Asians UNITE!!! How far are you from Toronto? Maybe we'll have to hit up chinatown and catch a drink. You can meet my wife and gundam-obsessed baby in training. We do go to Toronto almost everytime we are up there. How's living? I actually always wanted to move to Canada...I wonder how well our family business would transfer over the border...

btw...I FINALLY BEAT THAT BOSS!!! I'm on Ch.7 now and so happy...you were right, staying in the air ALL the time made it so much easier to fight the ninjas on the way...and the flying swallow (now that i have mastered it) is one of the best moves EVAR!!!
Well...if you follow what dom's been saying about me, you may have an idea where I'm situated...

Drop me an IM when I'm online...but, I'll say I'm a couple of timezones away right now. And yeah, Toronto is the best city in Canada IMO. I love the place more so than Vancouver or Montreal. There is just simply such a rich and lush culture, life-style, and etc. in Toronto...I'd move there in a heartbeat if circumstances allowed.

As for the tentacle boss, I'm glad you bested him...he'll be back later on once more but is just as easy. And remember that those techniques work just as well for most enemies in the game: stay air-bourne when there are lots of baddies and only kick up the style points when you are one-on-one...
Old 08-09-2007, 11:13 AM
trill recognize trill

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i just downloaded the demo and this shit is intense
Old 08-09-2007, 11:18 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by yunginTL
i just downloaded the demo and this shit is intense
Buy it!
Old 08-09-2007, 12:50 PM
Money is funny.

Buy it!
seriously...buy it!!! the demo doesn't do it justice...lol..it's actually TOO EASY!!!

sorry yummy...i haven't been following what dom's been saying...lol...fill me in...hahaha...I agree that Toronto is ione of the most diverse cities in Canada. Although I do enjoy Montreal architecture...as a matter of fact I was there a few years ago for some sort of festival downtown and it was absolutely beautiful!!! Saw lots of hot cars too so it musta been kinda ritzy...I felt like a poor hobo in my G35 parking next to S55's...M this and that...bentleys..shit...

As for the tentacle boss...yeah man, it was easy as hell once i mastered the flying swallow..i'm excited to fight the bone dragon though..that was a cool looking boss!!!
Old 08-09-2007, 03:42 PM
Senior Moderator

seriously...buy it!!! the demo doesn't do it justice...lol..it's actually TOO EASY!!!

sorry yummy...i haven't been following what dom's been saying...lol...fill me in...hahaha...I agree that Toronto is ione of the most diverse cities in Canada. Although I do enjoy Montreal architecture...as a matter of fact I was there a few years ago for some sort of festival downtown and it was absolutely beautiful!!! Saw lots of hot cars too so it musta been kinda ritzy...I felt like a poor hobo in my G35 parking next to S55's...M this and that...bentleys..shit...

As for the tentacle boss...yeah man, it was easy as hell once i mastered the flying swallow..i'm excited to fight the bone dragon though..that was a cool looking boss!!!
Toronto's definitely got some wealth happening there.

Fantastic city. Great food...great arts district...great shopping (nice clothing boutiques, robot stores!!, etc. etc.)...I can't say enough about how I love Toronto. In some ways, visiting there makes me forget about missing Chicago.

As for cool-looking bosses, I think I'll reserve that title to the Emperor. But...I've already said too much.
Old 08-10-2007, 11:49 AM
Money is funny.

yeah man..u aint kiddin! robot stores ftw!!! u from chicago? good pizza...lol....who do you think is the coolest boss other than the emperor?
Old 08-10-2007, 12:14 PM
Senior Moderator

yeah man..u aint kiddin! robot stores ftw!!! u from chicago? good pizza...lol....who do you think is the coolest boss other than the emperor?

Doku.
Old 08-10-2007, 12:24 PM
Money is funny.

so far the bone dragon is coolest for me. although when i first started the game and i played the horseman on ch 2, i thought that was one of the coolest boss fights ever...dunno why...i got the exploding shuriken too, but dammit they go fast. i just got it and blew up the one wall i needed to do, but now i have 2...i wish they were unlimited...so am i gonna get a chance to back to the old stages after i find the hammer or sword and break open some of those walls? or do i have to use the incendiary shuriken every time? so far ch7 i got a lot done, but i always die near the same spot and it's ALWAYS before I get to a save...
Old 08-10-2007, 12:48 PM
Senior Moderator

^ Hammer and big-@$$ sword will break down any cracked walls.

What spot are you dying at specifically? You'll hafta be specific about Chapters since I don't remember them by Chapter...
Old 08-10-2007, 12:50 PM
Money is funny.

the ch when you go into the dworku monastery with ryu...i keep dying with those orange ninja monsters and the flying silver demons...the orange dudes are easy, but the flying silver guys keep gettnig me with the big tail attack...and i can't seem to get back to a save in time...are either the hammer or sword ocming up anytime soon?
Old 08-10-2007, 12:56 PM
Senior Moderator

the ch when you go into the dworku monastery with ryu...i keep dying with those orange ninja monsters and the flying silver demons...the orange dudes are easy, but the flying silver guys keep gettnig me with the big tail attack...and i can't seem to get back to a save in time...are either the hammer or sword ocming up anytime soon?
Lunar FTW in these fights. Lots of jump + triangle attacks on the scythe Fiends. Once you have them slammed to the ground...literally button-mash to kill it. But, if the orange spikey-armed fiends start to swarm you, use the same type of technique I explained for the ninjas. Jump and attack...they aren't that tough if you keep moving and jumping.
Old 08-10-2007, 01:07 PM
Money is funny.

yeah the ninjas are easy...i follow your advice and it works great. I'll have to try lunar with the other dudes though...i just got the other stone tablet...(but i have to get it again since i keep dying...). I want these flails soon, i like the nunchaku...but want to level it up. why won't it let me level up my other weapons? do you have to be at a certian chapter? i have enough yellow orbs...
Old 08-10-2007, 01:12 PM
Senior Moderator

The nunchucks don't level up...at least not yet for me and I don't remember upping it in the Xbox game.

The Lunar and Flails will be your most used weaponry going forward IMO. The Dragon Sword will only come into play on certain boss fights...
Old 08-10-2007, 02:26 PM
Money is funny.

I thik the dragon sword will only come into play when I really get jammed...that flying swallow is almost a "cheese" move...just keep doin it and it kills about anyone...but i like a lot of the changeups the game offers so my faves are the two swords and the staff...as cool as the twin swords are, they are a little too slow to use all the time...shame cuz i love them...lol...i don't believe the nunchakus can upgrade you are right...only the flails...are there codes for this game? like for later on? I searched around and found one random site that said there was a code for unlimited incendiary shuriken, but i haven't been able to find the page again..
Old 08-10-2007, 02:41 PM
Senior Moderator

I thik the dragon sword will only come into play when I really get jammed...that flying swallow is almost a "cheese" move...just keep doin it and it kills about anyone...but i like a lot of the changeups the game offers so my faves are the two swords and the staff...as cool as the twin swords are, they are a little too slow to use all the time...shame cuz i love them...lol...i don't believe the nunchakus can upgrade you are right...only the flails...are there codes for this game? like for later on? I searched around and found one random site that said there was a code for unlimited incendiary shuriken, but i haven't been able to find the page again..
Codes...? Like...cheat codes...!??!?

You're lower than a Ninja Dog! You're a Ninja Treegoat!

A true ninja does not use cheat-codes.
Old 08-10-2007, 02:47 PM
Money is funny.

lolz...yes i know...no cheat codes for ninja...but if you wanna get down to it...my dad's side of the fam is traditional samurai...so ninja codes have no place in my life...unless it involves the words sony and playstation...lol...i never use cheat codes until i beat the game...so don't worry...hahaha but i always like to code it up on my second run and try to run through as fast as possible...
Old 08-10-2007, 02:48 PM
Senior Moderator

lolz...yes i know...no cheat codes for ninja...but if you wanna get down to it...my dad's side of the fam is traditional samurai...so ninja codes have no place in my life...unless it involves the words sony and playstation...lol...i never use cheat codes until i beat the game...so don't worry...hahaha but i always like to code it up on my second run and try to run through as fast as possible...
Well, you could fail miserably in a stage and play it as a Ninja Dog...? I hear you get some nice perks as a Dog...
Old 08-10-2007, 02:50 PM
Money is funny.

i REFUSE to play it as a dog...lol...i did it once to see what would happen though...you get extra potions evrytime you continue, full health at your last save, and the enemies stand around more and let you attack them...not very fun. no challenge...
Old 08-13-2007, 01:16 PM
Money is funny.

So you wouldn't believe this, but I go up to Alma AGAIN, and when I got to her I was dreading the fight. I had half health, 2 little elixirs and one great spirit elixir and only one ninpo left. After a few flying swallows and combos (and the one ninpo I had), 15m later it was over like it was nothing!!! I couldn't believe it!!! She only got to fly up and shoot her pink energy shots at me once, and I dodged them all...I must have been lucky, but man was that cool!!!
Old 08-13-2007, 01:34 PM
Senior Moderator

So you wouldn't believe this, but I go up to Alma AGAIN, and when I got to her I was dreading the fight. I had half health, 2 little elixirs and one great spirit elixir and only one ninpo left. After a few flying swallows and combos (and the one ninpo I had), 15m later it was over like it was nothing!!! I couldn't believe it!!! She only got to fly up and shoot her pink energy shots at me once, and I dodged them all...I must have been lucky, but man was that cool!!!

Wait...you only have 1 Ninpo spell slot at this point...?!
Old 08-13-2007, 01:38 PM
Money is funny.

not one ninpo slot, i only had one ninpo bar full. i have 3 total, but i had no evil elixirs, so they were worthless to me. Right now I have level 3 dragon sword, level two everything else, and my health bar is about half the screen (width wise). Also, do you know anythign about the wooden sword? It seems worthless, but you can level it up like 5 or 6 stars? something tells me that's GOTTA be worth it...
Old 08-13-2007, 01:39 PM
Senior Moderator

not one ninpo slot, i only had one ninpo bar full. i have 3 total, but i had no evil elixirs, so they were worthless to me. Right now I have level 3 dragon sword, level two everything else, and my health bar is about half the screen (width wise). Also, do you know anythign about the wooden sword? It seems worthless, but you can level it up like 5 or 6 stars? something tells me that's GOTTA be worth it...
Ah...good for you. So, did you use some of thet tactics I suggested against Alma?

And on the wooden sword.
Old 08-13-2007, 01:41 PM
Money is funny.

Ah...good for you. So, did you use some of thet tactics I suggested against Alma?

And on the wooden sword.
yes i did...staying in the air really helped. I also tried something new. I did the air slam attack with lunar to knock her out of the air, switched to the flails and comboed the hell outta her...which seemed to work as well...

as for the wooden sword... you make a fellow asian mad sad...there has to be many secrets here...do not let me find out from teh interwebb...

Quick Reply: PS3: Ninja Gaiden Sigma...