Well, the TSX needed new wheels....ISF is back (Page 64)

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2023, 04:25 PM
Ex-OEM King

Received 5,874 Likes on 3,880 Posts
Originally Posted by CCColtsicehockey
Not a clue what they put down to cause all that rust. My guess is he would likely take the car to cars and coffee in the winter even if the roads were wet or something. It would get salt brine on it. And it would go home and sit then other then washing it off the exterior.
I do that all the time here, don't have any rust resembling that lol. Looks like it was parked in the ocean for a few hours!
The following users liked this post:
CCColtsicehockey (06-14-2023)
Old 06-13-2023, 09:37 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,926 Likes on 14,464 Posts
It's definitely added chemicals on the road, I bet.
Jason, that failure wasn't due to rust, it had a LOT of clean structural metal there.
Who makes those lower control arms?

Loved your update, obviously I see your updates on a more regular basis but it was cool
to see it all pieced together nicely in a story here. XOXO, man.
The following 2 users liked this post by rockstar143:
CCColtsicehockey (06-14-2023), civicdrivr (06-14-2023)
Old 06-14-2023, 10:19 AM
Safety Car

Received 994 Likes on 750 Posts
Originally Posted by SamDoe1
Looks awesome man...that rust though! WTF are they putting on the roads in PA? Cars don't look that bad even here!
MN is a state that uses a lot of sand, correct? Im sure PA uses salt brines and rock salt just like here in WI. I fuckin hate the amount they put down. The roads take a beating from it too.
Old 06-14-2023, 10:22 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by rockstar143
It's definitely added chemicals on the road, I bet.
Jason, that failure wasn't due to rust, it had a LOT of clean structural metal there.
Who makes those lower control arms?

Loved your update, obviously I see your updates on a more regular basis but it was cool
to see it all pieced together nicely in a story here. XOXO, man.
The Spherical ball was rusted. Probably prevented movement and added stress snapped the threaded section.
Old 06-14-2023, 12:59 PM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,678 Likes on 2,505 Posts
I need to look into if there is anything specific I should coat them with to stay lubricated or just spray them with some white lithium or something like that and call it a day.
Old 06-14-2023, 02:09 PM
Ex-OEM King

Originally Posted by BreezyTL
MN is a state that uses a lot of sand, correct? Im sure PA uses salt brines and rock salt just like here in WI. I fuckin hate the amount they put down. The roads take a beating from it too.
We have both. Sand for ice traction and salt for melting it. They've been using some chemical recently that allegedly reduces the amount of salt used but they still definitely lay that shit down.

I need to look into if there is anything specific I should coat them with to stay lubricated or just spray them with some white lithium or something like that and call it a day.
I wouldn't coat it with anything. Any coating that the joint isn't designed for is going to wear away and might make things worse. Use the joint as it's designed for best results.
CCColtsicehockey (06-14-2023)
Old 06-14-2023, 06:44 PM

Received 9,495 Likes on 6,167 Posts
That car is putting you through the paces, but man is it worth it. I'll always love the ISF
CCColtsicehockey (06-15-2023)
Old 08-17-2023, 10:16 AM

Been tackling some smaller things lately even though I still have some bigger stuff lying around just haven't had the time.

I had ordered the new trans mount since I had what sound like the wheel of fortune noise everyone described with that issue.

I have seen some people have posted on clublexus that have looked much worse than this. It was pretty easy to squeeze it though. It was definitely degraded by the slight decrease in height compared to the new one I am sure. However, with the suspension noise I am dealing with right now I can't even tell if the noise is now gone since the suspension noise is so loud.

While I had the car up I tried to tighten everything I could in the rear suspension to see if something was loose at all causing the noise I have. Well the lower endlink bolt on one side was no longer even up to handling the factory tq spec even and promptly snapped.

Replaced them with some grade 8 from Lowe's while I wait for new factory bolts.

Also noticed the boot on the endlink on the side I have the noise from had ruptured so maybe that is my issue.

The battery has been on the way out for a while. Seems for some reason Group 24 batteries are becoming harder and harder to find. A good many guys on clublexus have started going with the AntiGravity lithium batteries but I just can't stomach the cost.

I decided to go with an X2 Power which has a 4 year warranty and is made in the same factory as the Odyssey batteries but can be had for less usually if you can catch a sale at Batteries Plus which I did.

Gave me a chance to play with a recent new tool pickup as well.

Doesn't hurt that it matches the car either.

The following 2 users liked this post by CCColtsicehockey:
godfather2 (08-18-2023), SuperTrooper169 (08-31-2023)
Old 08-17-2023, 10:27 AM

More and more parts have been coming in as well.

Order both front and rear poly bushing for the front lower control arms. New endlinks, sway bar bushings, as well as all the hardware on the rear lower control arms that is rusted. I will get the lower control arms themselves cleaned up and recoated.

My BC Racing DS Coilovers finally showed up as well.

The following 8 users liked this post by CCColtsicehockey:
00TL-P3.2 (08-17-2023), 1StGenCL (09-09-2023), BreezyTL (08-17-2023), CLtotheTL32 (08-17-2023), godfather2 (08-18-2023), mrmako (11-12-2023), p.diddy (08-21-2023), SuperTrooper169 (08-31-2023) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-17-2023, 11:34 AM

Awwwww yes
CCColtsicehockey (08-21-2023)
Old 08-18-2023, 05:53 AM
Time to Climb

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Lovely to see the Lexus being resurrected! Good luck w the build and may she bring you years of smiles. Namaste
Old 08-18-2023, 01:07 PM

Stumps.
Old 08-21-2023, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by godfather2
Lovely to see the Lexus being resurrected! Good luck w the build and may she bring you years of smiles. Namaste
Thanks man. Glad to see you still around these parts.
godfather2 (08-21-2023)
Old 08-21-2023, 08:46 AM

Tackled some more work on the car this weekend. I am still chasing the noise I have from the rear. So far verified the torq on everything on the rear end passenger side where the noise was and that didn't solve anything. The end links were badly rusted when I was under the car and seemed to have some excessive play so I figured they were a good easy starting point.

The rust was bad enough that even with soaking in pb blaster for an hour I couldn't fully get the nut off. I didn't have a way to get a wire wheel in the area as that might have helped clean the threads up better. I wasn't looking to reuse them anyways so I went a different route.

Remove the entire sway bar

The bottom bushing had seen better days. I could move it freely with my fingers without even putting a bolt in it. I thought I had found my problem

Ended up using a cut off wheel to cut the bolts to get rid of the end links

New endlinks and poly sway bushings from Figs

New end links and bushings installed.

This unfortunately ended up not being my noise and after a 15min drive it was still there. Oddly enough each time I jack the car up the first few minutes there is no noise.

Next up was the rear LCA heim joint. Previously noted on a trip last year I had one of these snap. I got very lucky, met some cool people, and had them replaced at a dirt track shop in VA. The one we ended up having to cut the bolt as no matter how much pb blaster or heat was applied it would not come off.

New Heim that was installed during my trip last year

Took a rough measurement to get it close to the same and not affect my alignment that much. Although I will still get one in the coming weeks.

New factory bolt and fresh heim joint and standoffs from Figs

It was at the point of disassembly that I noticed the real issue. The standoffs that had been used didn't fit the bolt used perfectly. It was good enough to have gotten me through my trip but I likely should have replace this right away when I got back home close to a rear ago. The standoffs also seems to be of a fairly soft metal and had started to deform. The shop did say they rebuilt their dirt track setups fairly frequently so likely they didn't care about it.

Notice the difference in thickness of the top of the OEM bolt vs the one that had been on the car. Not even close. Everything fits together perfectly now.

All back together.

After a 20min drive I am pretty sure the noise is gone. I won't know for sure without a little more driving this week but hopefully that is the end of this problem.

Here is a picture of the old hardware. I will likely still keep this and toss it in the trunk spare tire compartment in the event of an issue with one on the car as any spare would be better than none.

While doing these installs I ended up finding another problem. It seems at some point my Figs Mega Arms have bent. Not exactly sure how this would have happened but I am not sure I really want to wait around and see if it gets any worse.

The bend

How it should look

godfather2 (08-21-2023)
Old 08-21-2023, 09:19 AM
Ex-OEM King

Awesome man, I hope you finally got rid of the noise! Sounds like a good week of wrenching.
Old 08-30-2023, 05:46 PM

Radio Upgrade

The touch screen on the radio had died before I had bought the car back. I was using a Bluetooth adapter for audio so this really wasn't a huge problem other than I no longer had full control over the fans for the AC. Otherwise thankfully pretty much everything else could be controlled. This is partly why it wasn't a huge priority either. I wanted updated tech in the car though. I was originally going to go with the Grom Vline V2 until a friend had installed an Android Radio with great success. It was then I found out that the setup as far as the 2nd Gen IS Android Radios is about as seamless looking as they get with a factory looking faceplate better than pretty much every other car they are offered for out there. At least in my opinion.

I researched them for a while and settled on the Teyes CC3 2k. Teyes has done more on the software side than any of the other companies out there and it shows when using it on how much of a finished product it really is.

The radio comes packaged well and the quality of the unit is top notch hardware wise.

The faceplate that looks like the 2010+ interiors is the reason for finally going with one of these units.

Before shot

Everything out. Besides getting the air vent out things in the ISF radio wise come out very easily. I have had to fight other cars before to get the radio to come out.

While removing the radio I also had to remove the old VAIS Tech Media Linq Video Ipod adapter I had installed years ago.

The unit display had stopped working correctly about a year before I had gotten rid of the car. I never dug into why very much. Turns out I had not secured the video cables well enough and one got cut by the seat slides.

Not long before starting this project, I bought this new Icon hood light setup. It also works very well in the interior.

Assembling the radio

The top of the factory radio gets removed the bottom stays

The bottom of the new face plate though is designed to fit a 2010+

You have to cut it out like this to make it fit the 2009 and older bottom unit

The radio is held to face plate with these white tabs. They only give you 6 screws though and you need 11.

3mm screws fit perfectly. This happens to be the smallest size they also sell at Lowe's or else I would have ended up needing to order something.

Once the tablet/radio is attached to the face plate you can then frame that allows you to mount it to the factory radio mount.

Radio Harness

The harnesses that come are not that neat and there are a few.

I wanted to make it neater so got some tesa tape

This will do much better

Install

Test power up

Need to make to select these canbus settings for the radio to be able to control the AC and function correctly with the steering wheel controls.

Test fit. You need 2010+ air vents to make this radio work as well

At night the LEDs match pretty well for the buttons.

At this point I had not found a good set of vents I wanted at a reasonable price so I kind of waited on finishing this project and driving around with the car torn apart for the last month. During this time I found several additional pieces to help finish the project easier. Once those all came in I finally went about finishing this project.

Apparently, at some point, I had a critter in the car. Thankfully they didn't damage anything.

​​​

Back to those pieces that made things nicer on the install. Enfig Car Stereo sells 3d printed mic setups that install in the OEM locations. https://shop.enfigcarstereo.com/product/enfig-mic-toy1/ Thanks @97BlackAckCL

Fits like a glove. So well in fact I think you would destroy the mic trying to remove it.
​​​​​​​

Routing the mic cable through the roof

Not pictured is the adapter I bought so that the factory GPS antenna can be used vs an after market one. I got it here. https://www.discountcarstereo.com/HFC-SMA.html

To make the 2010+ vents fit 2009 and older you have to cut them. It is about 3/4in by the time you are all said and done.

​​​​​​​

The last piece was to run the new reverse camera as the factory one can't be used since it is 5V.

There are a ton of clips holding on the trunk lid liner
​​​​​​​

You then have to remove this metal plate to get to the camera.

The wire harness for the camera completely disconnects so you can remove it from the bracket. This is great as I modified the bracket to mount the new camera.
​​​​​​​

The camera came with its own metal mount. I was not going to use it. But I did steal a piece of it to use as a backing plate for the screws.
​​​​​​​

​​​​​​​

​​​​​​​

It was getting dark but I wanted to finish it.
​​​​​​​

The wire runs easily down the passenger side of the car.

​​​​​​​

My Posi Taps didn't arrive on time so ended up having to finish it the next day.

Always remember to tape connections
​​​​​​​

I had been having fitment depth issues with the radio and the dash.
​​​​​​​

When I put it back together this time I added to washers.

So with it all back together here is a before and after. I think it really updated the car and makes it feel much newer.

​​​​​​​
The following 5 users liked this post by CCColtsicehockey:
00TL-P3.2 (08-31-2023), civicdrivr (08-31-2023), mrmako (11-12-2023), p.diddy (08-30-2023), SuperTrooper169 (08-31-2023)
Old 08-31-2023, 08:35 AM
Safety Car

Very nice install.

My only concern is why do you have Christmas lights up already?
Old 08-31-2023, 09:45 AM

Received 5,305 Likes on 3,639 Posts
Nice work, that light bar setup is pretty neat, could definitely see that making underhood work better.
Old 09-05-2023, 06:19 AM

Very nice install.

My only concern is why do you have Christmas lights up already?
The location my extension ladder is stored is really a pain. So I had been dragging my feat getting them down. Then not 1 but 2 birds ended up building nests where the ligths go around the down spouts so I couldn't remove them or would have disturbed nests with eggs in them.
Old 09-05-2023, 01:45 PM
Safety Car

The location my extension ladder is stored is really a pain. So I had been dragging my feat getting them down. Then not 1 but 2 birds ended up building nests where the ligths go around the down spouts so I couldn't remove them or would have disturbed nests with eggs in them.
Christmas year round! Plug those bad boys back in.
Old 09-05-2023, 03:16 PM

Christmas year round! Plug those bad boys back in.
I took down everything including the extension cords and timers. Otherwise, I would have turned them back on for Christmas in July while the birds were still in their nests. Now I still want to pull them down before the garage build starts.
Old 09-09-2023, 06:41 AM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Received 1,157 Likes on 682 Posts
Loving the updates Jason
CCColtsicehockey (09-11-2023)
Old 11-07-2023, 05:39 PM

I finally got around to getting some of the parts installed over the last couple of weeks. I noticed a while back while fixing my clicking noise what appeared to be a bend in my Figs MEGA Arms. I reached out to Figs about this and they offered to fix them for a small price and recoat them.

My garage is currently full and I don't have the desire to leave the cars that are in the garage out of it overnight for a longer project. I took the car up to my Dad's to use his garage.

The arms are in pretty rough shape

They came out though with not really any fight despite the condition

You can see the small bend on the left one. They have since added reinforcement to this area which is what they were going to do to mine. I shipped them out to them with a planned 2 week turn around time.

A few weeks later I had some time so went back up and pulled the coilovers as well. This was the first larger install I had done with multiple power tools besides my large impact. What a difference it makes in speed of getting things apart.

They were well past it with 100k miles on them.

Not great but not terrible

They do look a bit worse when next to the replacements

Back to the Figs MEGA Arms. When they arrived they were in much worse condition than they had expected from the pictures. Figs graciously offered me a great deal on a replacement set of arms. They didn't have to do this as the condition was out of their control despite the bend which I had mentioned new version has reinforcement in this area. It speaks to the great customer service they provide though by doing this.

They next day I got back at it and brought a helper along

I put the rears in first as well as the new Figs MEGA Arms

I had also bought all new hardware from Lexus for the reassembly so as not to use any of the old rusted ones.

Fronts were up next. They were super easy.

My helper then requested to be relocated to the sun. She obviously wasn't doing much helping.

Once the fronts were in I replaced the worn rear LCA bushings

They look good. It is too bad you never really see them.

I guessed wrong on the first height setting.

Much better after the second attempt

Finally was able to get it aligned today
​​​​​​​
The following 9 users liked this post by CCColtsicehockey:
1StGenCL (11-22-2023), BreezyTL (11-08-2023), civicdrivr (11-07-2023), CLtotheTL32 (11-11-2023), godfather2 (11-09-2023), mrmako (11-12-2023), rockstar143 (11-08-2023), RPhilMan1 (11-08-2023), SuperTrooper169 (11-13-2023) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-07-2023, 06:58 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,182 Likes on 4,827 Posts
Love the height. Good work
CCColtsicehockey (11-08-2023)
Old 11-08-2023, 07:00 AM

Received 5,305 Likes on 3,639 Posts
Looks great
Someone notify @97BlackAckCL that his wheels have been stolen from winter storage & put on a Suburban
The following 2 users liked this post by 00TL-P3.2:
CCColtsicehockey (11-08-2023), rockstar143 (11-08-2023)
Old 11-08-2023, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by 00TL-P3.2
Looks great
Someone notify @97BlackAckCL that his wheels have been stolen from winter storage & put on a Suburban
Old 11-08-2023, 07:44 AM

Great update.
I love the care you put into just about everything.
You're so methodical.
Old 11-08-2023, 07:47 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 667 Likes on 389 Posts
I love a good refresh job. Great progress.
Old 11-08-2023, 09:34 AM
Ex-OEM King

Awesome work! Car is ready to go for years to come now.
Old 11-08-2023, 12:10 PM
2024 Honda Civic Type R

Received 1,456 Likes on 924 Posts
Amazing suspension refresh. I need to do the same with the ST if I'm keeping it long term.

Nice work dude!
Old 11-08-2023, 12:13 PM

It is crazy. I knew the old suspension was well past due. Until I put these in and drove them Monday the first time I never realized how gone they were. Even with 18/14k springs, it rides better than the 14/12k failed springs.
RPhilMan1 (11-09-2023)
Old 11-11-2023, 01:28 PM

Well done, Jason
Old 11-11-2023, 02:48 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,485 Likes on 1,049 Posts
looking good, refresh jobs like that just add more peace to our lives I think. Glad to hear you were able to score new rear control arms too, the new ones look much nicer.
CCColtsicehockey (11-13-2023)
Old 11-12-2023, 07:57 AM
Someday, an RS6 Avant+

Received 954 Likes on 517 Posts
That is excellent work. Wish I had to fortitude (and tools) to tackle something at this level.
CCColtsicehockey (11-13-2023)
Old 11-16-2023, 08:54 AM
Team Owner

Received 598 Likes on 416 Posts
Great work. I always feel like I need more money when I ready threads like this.
CCColtsicehockey (11-16-2023)
Old 11-16-2023, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by RaviNJCLs
Great work. I always feel like I need more money when I ready threads like this.
Hey Ravi good to see you around here. How have you and the family been?