Talk to me about the X5 xDrive35D

Old 11-17-2016, 02:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 6,859 Likes on 3,479 Posts
Talk to me about the X5 xDrive35D

So, thinking about selling the Silver Bullet and my Z next year and getting a used diesel X5. Anyone have any personal experiences with it? Positives? Negatives? What to watch out for? I have just begun looking and so there's a lot of work to do in the meantime if I'm going to get serious about it but thought I'd reach out here first. Thanks in advance! Also, how about the diesel ML350 MBZ?
Old 11-17-2016, 03:29 PM
Jeff

Received 815 Likes on 726 Posts
what is there to be said?
Old 11-17-2016, 03:31 PM

Received 5,291 Likes on 3,625 Posts
Originally Posted by Oh Sickest TL
what is there to be said?
Pros/cons between the 2?

For once, aesthetically I like the X5 over the GLE
The only diesels I have any experience with are early-80s Mercedes, so not applicable.
Old 11-18-2016, 12:20 AM
The Third Ball

Received 4,824 Likes on 2,571 Posts
Jeep with EcoDeisel
Old 11-18-2016, 01:35 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 869 Likes on 665 Posts
Originally Posted by Chief F1 Fan
So, thinking about selling the Silver Bullet and my Z next year and getting a used diesel X5. Anyone have any personal experiences with it? Positives? Negatives? What to watch out for? I have just begun looking and so there's a lot of work to do in the meantime if I'm going to get serious about it but thought I'd reach out here first. Thanks in advance! Also, how about the diesel ML350 MBZ?
Why no porsche cayenne or VW Touareg diesel out of curiosity? Or as sarlaac mentioned Jeep GC diesel?

I can't speak for the ml or X5 diesel but I can speak for the new X5 gas. Had a 2016 X5 35I rental a month ago and was pretty impressed in a lot of areas but dissapointed in others. For starters I had a 2005 X5 and 2008 one (the 2008 very briefly) and those were very heavy and cumbersome, the new one is very smooh and car like and the ride has a very very pleasant over dampened Germaness to it. Very good steering and the material quality was ok (but not as good as previous years for sure). Loved the HUD but absolutely despised the Idrive and will absolutely never buy one because of it.

After a week with the X5 I still could not do simple things like change the radio channel. Literally could not for the life of me figure it out or get it to do the same thing multiple times. The base seats are atrocious and should be avoided at all costs if you can. Otherwise I also loved the ambient lighting and the overall design of the interior. 8 speed automatic worked very well as well.

To be completely honest with you though, after driving this brand new 2016 X5 for a few days with all the fancy gadgets like push button start, HUD, pano roof...etc. I got back into my 2007 MDX elite and never felt like I was really missing anything major. Sure the X5 was built nicer and looked newer (somewhat better as well) but it never really got me to miss it if that makes sense.
Old 11-18-2016, 09:11 AM
Ex-OEM King

Received 5,824 Likes on 3,848 Posts
Originally Posted by Sarlacc
Jeep with EcoDeisel
This. You'll save a bundle and will likely have lower maintenance costs. Also, you might be able to snag a new one for the price of a used one. Also, you can get the trail rated model and go find some fun new places to visit.
Old 11-18-2016, 09:47 AM
Senior Moderator

No interest in the Cayenne, Touareg, Macan, Q5/7 really. I understand the dislike of the BMW seats RDX10 but I happen to love the seats in my 3, 5 and 6. I cannot imagine the X5 is that much different (might even be the same). The iController is second nature to me now and I don't listen to the radio so . . . . I might look at the Jeep, I could certainly lease one cheap enough.

EDIT: I just checked local inventory for a dealer 3 miles away and there is $5k in rebates on a diesel Limited.

Last edited by Chief F1 Fan; 11-18-2016 at 10:06 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Sarlacc (11-18-2016)
Old 11-18-2016, 03:59 PM
Suzuka Master

No interest in the Cayenne, Touareg, Macan, Q5/7 really. I understand the dislike of the BMW seats RDX10 but I happen to love the seats in my 3, 5 and 6. I cannot imagine the X5 is that much different (might even be the same). The iController is second nature to me now and I don't listen to the radio so . . . . I might look at the Jeep, I could certainly lease one cheap enough.

EDIT: I just checked local inventory for a dealer 3 miles away and there is $5k in rebates on a diesel Limited.
Sounds good man! Let us know what you end up getting and please share some pics! The new GC in summit and overland trim (moreso overland) has me drooling everytime it passes by. I also love the 8.4" navi display.
Old 11-18-2016, 05:57 PM
Senior Moderator

Correction, make that $4500 in rebates, here's the sticker:

http://www.chrysler.com/hostd/window...RJFBM4GC319367

Old 11-18-2016, 06:00 PM
Suzuka Master

In Canada they are going for 55-60k for the diesel limited. It starts at 40-42k for a base laredo. What color would you get? Personally love all the colors but mostly the carbon grey, black, white, and red.
Old 11-18-2016, 06:03 PM
Senior Moderator

I'd go with black probably, they only have 3 in stock and being the end of the year of course they are on blow-out sale time. I may go take it for a test beat tomorrow, I'll keep you posted. Thanks Sarlacc for the thought. You know, I started to post I didn't want a GC then recalled how much I liked my friend's 2014 and got online and well, this is where I'm at.
Sarlacc (11-18-2016)
Old 11-18-2016, 06:06 PM
The Third Ball

I'd go with black probably, they only have 3 in stock and being the end of the year of course they are on blow-out sale time. I may go take it for a test beat tomorrow, I'll keep you posted. Thanks Sarlacc for the thought. You know, I started to post I didn't want a GC then recalled how much I liked my friend's 2014 and got online and well, this is where I'm at.
I like the X5...had a decent amount of time behind the wheel of the x5M...awesome.

But the JGC is no slouch, either. I haven't driven the Eco Diesel, but it gets great reviews.

If the Durango offered the Eco Diesel, I might have considered that one and not the RT.
Old 11-18-2016, 06:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Oh, and for the record Sarlacc, I usually loathe the fact when someone points out a choice not offered by OP because I usually consider that OP has gone through and narrowed his choices down already to what was originally said. You got me thinking and I do appreciate it man, thanks again. I saw a Durango today on the road and thought I wish they had offered it with the EcoDiesel. Maybe next year??
Old 11-18-2016, 06:55 PM
Suzuka Master

Nice! Make sure to give us many many pics if you get one!
Old 11-18-2016, 11:25 PM
The Third Ball

Oh, and for the record Sarlacc, I usually loathe the fact when someone points out a choice not offered by OP because I usually consider that OP has gone through and narrowed his choices down already to what was originally said. You got me thinking and I do appreciate it man, thanks again. I saw a Durango today on the road and thought I wish they had offered it with the EcoDiesel. Maybe next year??
Doubtful. My guess is when they release the Jeep Grand Wagoneer next year, that will have the diesel option.

And I agree with you about offering non-OP choices...I was actually half joking since you're such a bimmer guy now. But I'm glad you were open to it.
Old 11-19-2016, 11:35 AM
Ex-OEM King

FWIW, and I'm not sure if it matters to you or not, the standard Limited and Overland models are NOT trail rated and I would not take them down anything more than a gravel/muddy road. Anything more and goodbye oil pan. You can, however, get trail rated ones but they are almost always special order since 99% of GC drivers never go past the mall parking lot.
Old 11-19-2016, 11:59 AM
Senior Moderator

Thanks SamDoe but that's not a concern at all, getting around snowy, wintry Buffalo and hauling my dog/ski gear is.
Old 11-19-2016, 08:19 PM
Ex-OEM King

No worries, just wanted you to be aware before you tried to tackle some deep stuff because Jeep.
Old 11-26-2016, 10:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Doubtful. My guess is when they release the Jeep Grand Wagoneer next year, that will have the diesel option.

And I agree with you about offering non-OP choices...I was actually half joking since you're such a bimmer guy now. But I'm glad you were open to it.
Hey Sarlacc, if you had to choose between the Durango R/T and a JGC diesel, which would you pick? How's your Durango held up? My RLX lease is almost over and I'm starting the research process, myself. As much as I WANT a 3G CTS-V, I'm almost certainly going practical this time. I think I'm going with a crossover this time, it must be fun to drive and it has to be able to tow my NSX (3k pound car plus typical U-Haul trailer=total 5k pounds). Surprisingly, I'm looking at the Durango R/T as a possibility. It's an inexpensive lease, too, so that's a plus. I saw Alex on Auto's review of the 2017 Durango today and I'm almost sold on it in theory.
Old 11-26-2016, 11:09 PM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by neuronbob
Hey Sarlacc, if you had to choose between the Durango R/T and a JGC diesel, which would you pick? How's your Durango held up? My RLX lease is almost over and I'm starting the research process, myself. As much as I WANT a 3G CTS-V, I'm almost certainly going practical this time. I think I'm going with a crossover this time, it must be fun to drive and it has to be able to tow my NSX (3k pound car plus typical U-Haul trailer=total 5k pounds). Surprisingly, I'm looking at the Durango R/T as a possibility. It's an inexpensive lease, too, so that's a plus. I saw Alex on Auto's review of the 2017 Durango today and I'm almost sold on it in theory.
I LOVE my durango RT...almost 30k on it and no issues. I love how it drives, how it feels, its got grunt when I need it. One f my friends leased one because of how much I like it, and he's been happy with it. Only down side...shit gas mileage, but I knew that going in.

I havent driven the diesel Jeep. Its got great reviews. I know the suspension wouldn't be as sporty as the RT, which Ive grown very accustomed to. I would also suggest looking at the new Mazda CX9...you wont believe its a turbo4, that thing blew me away.
Old 11-27-2016, 06:28 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Thanks. Sporty and fun to drive are requirements for me, I do not buy/lease boring cars because as much as I drive, I require an entertaining ride. Ideally, I'd have enough practicality to tow as well, and the Durango R/T in AWD form tows 7200 pounds. Mileage? I drive a CTS-V! I laugh in the face of 19 mpg combined.

I'm not sold on the Mazda, but only because the tow rating is so low, though I'm going to test drive it as well. I'm planning on test driving the Jeep JGC both in gas and diesel forms.

I was 100% sure I would default to a MDX SH-AWD until I decided to open my mind a little more.
Old 11-27-2016, 06:50 AM
Senior Moderator

Sarlacc hit another vehicle I checked out: The Mazda CX9. I like its looks but would have to drive it to see how I like the power. I anticipate hauling a trailer with whatever I buy down to FL. and back to NY 2x/year in the next few years so it's got to have some tow capabilities. The Durango is too big and too thirsty for me so that is definitely out. I drive at least 25K/year in my second car so . . . .
Old 11-27-2016, 02:56 PM
The Third Ball

If towing a requirement I might skip the Mazda, not sure its tow ratings, though. But it IS sporty and fun.

The Durango RT...I get about 12-13mpg with mixed driving, mainly city. about 15mpg mixed, mainly freeway. Long road trips 4+ hours I can usually average 18mpg.
Old 11-27-2016, 05:37 PM
Senior Moderator

I'm thinking of hauling another car down there at least once. An underpowered vehicle will never fly with me.
Old 11-27-2016, 07:41 PM
Ex-OEM King

If towing a requirement I might skip the Mazda, not sure its tow ratings, though. But it IS sporty and fun.

The Durango RT...I get about 12-13mpg with mixed driving, mainly city. about 15mpg mixed, mainly freeway. Long road trips 4+ hours I can usually average 18mpg.
The economy on the Durango Hemi is THAT bad?? I really wonder why the ecodiesel hasn't been dropped into one of those yet.

In any case, the diesel Jeep is super smooth and you can't tell it's a diesel. That said, it has massive turbo lag (may have been fixed since the last time I drove one but don't know) where it has no power and then all the torques come out to play. I have no doubt that it can haul stuff and ass all at the same time.

If people are interested in the Mazda, please note that the Skyactiv-D (diesel) is coming out next year. Might bring some better tow ratings along with it though I wouldn't tow anything more than 3k-4k lbs with a CX-9. Even if the motor can pull it, the chassis might not be able to handle that much load hanging off the ass end. If you want to regularly tow 5k lbs, I'd get a truck or truck based SUV (ie Tahoe/Yukon). There's a lot more to it than just a straight up tow rating but many have said the new Ridgeline can actually do a good job of towing so there's that too if you can deal with the looks.
Old 11-27-2016, 09:46 PM
The Third Ball

I'm thinking of hauling another car down there at least once. An underpowered vehicle will never fly with me.
Again, dont know about towing...but the turbo4 in the cx9 moves that car effortlessly...I was shocked as shit, made me a big fan.
Chief F1 Fan (11-28-2016)
Old 11-27-2016, 09:47 PM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by SamDoe1
The economy on the Durango Hemi is THAT bad?? I really wonder why the ecodiesel hasn't been dropped into one of those yet.

In any case, the diesel Jeep is super smooth and you can't tell it's a diesel. That said, it has massive turbo lag (may have been fixed since the last time I drove one but don't know) where it has no power and then all the torques come out to play. I have no doubt that it can haul stuff and ass all at the same time.

If people are interested in the Mazda, please note that the Skyactiv-D (diesel) is coming out next year. Might bring some better tow ratings along with it though I wouldn't tow anything more than 3k-4k lbs with a CX-9. Even if the motor can pull it, the chassis might not be able to handle that much load hanging off the ass end. If you want to regularly tow 5k lbs, I'd get a truck or truck based SUV (ie Tahoe/Yukon). There's a lot more to it than just a straight up tow rating but many have said the new Ridgeline can actually do a good job of towing so there's that too if you can deal with the looks.
Well, I have a lead foot...so, my driving style doesnt encourage good gas mileage either...
Old 11-28-2016, 10:19 AM
Unofficial Goat

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts
if your planning on towing a car trailer, consider wheelbase too, I'd rather haul with a durango vs jgc due to the longer wheelbase which offers more stability. Hauling long trailers with short vehicles can feel a bit dodgy at times.
Chief F1 Fan (11-28-2016)
Old 11-28-2016, 02:13 PM
Senior Moderator

I foresee driving to I believe it's Virginia to catch the "car train" down to FL. but who knows, that's a couple years away at the earliest.
Old 12-04-2016, 11:13 AM
The Third Ball

Drive one yet?