R.i.p my tl it sucks to lose her

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 10:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Originally Posted by Blazin Si
It pisses me off when a drunk a driver wrecks their car and walks home or has someone pick them up. I've heard the penalty for leaving the scene of an accident is far less than that of a DUI conviction.
In FL, if you leave the scene of an accident without injury it is a misdemeanor with no mandatory sanctions like DUI. If there is injury, and you leave the scene it would be a third degree felony (max penalty is 5 years.) A DUI here becomes a third degree felony when a person gets arrested for a third time (or more).
Old 09-09-2010, 10:42 PM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
never drink and drive wat ever man yall drunk driver always say shiet like that
Old 09-09-2010, 10:47 PM
intelligentsia

Location: Land of cheap vodka, hot girls, and great nightlife
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Aman
I think any owner with a previous DUI should have his/her car fitted with one of those breathalyzer systems connected to the ignition. Blow over a certain limit, lock out the ignition. This way, the driver can still go to where he needs to, without risking the lives of everybody on the road. I know they have something like this in some areas, but IMO needs to be widespread.

Better yet, mandate it on every new car manufactured. This should be right up there with seatbelts and airbags.
That would be going to far. I'll admit it, I have drank a little more than I should have and drove. In fact, I even killed a bottle of wine by myself. Got stopped in a DUI checkpoint and got away with no problems. I am not advocating drinking and driving. But god damn if you been drinking please drive slow and obey the traffic laws. Going 100MPH plus is a death sentence even while sober.
Old 09-09-2010, 10:47 PM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by ggesq
In FL, if you leave the scene of an accident without injury it is a misdemeanor with no mandatory sanctions like DUI. If there is injury, and you leave the scene it would be a third degree felony (max penalty is 5 years.) A DUI here becomes a third degree felony when a person gets arrested for a third time (or more).

that what happen to hulk hogan son right when he f up the supra
Old 09-10-2010, 06:21 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by fsttyms1
So they shouldnt be able to drive to work, possibly loose their job over it and possibly become unproductive members of society ?
It could possibly be true that people don't give up that easy. I don't know about other states, but in NC when you lose your lisence due to DUI you're allowed to buy a 50cc scooter. These things are everywhere. They still get you to work and you have the embarrassment of pulling into the parking lot on a scooter. There are other ways of getting to your job besides driving yourself. Friends, bus, coworkers perhaps? I don't want to see anyone lose their job over it, but the penalties aren't harsh enough.

Lol @ phee.
Old 09-10-2010, 06:27 AM
wham bam thank you ma'am

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts
^I'm about to pick up a ruckus lol. I lost my license, not bc of dui, and u can't always rely on co workers bc they have a life and things come up. Buses and trains don't go anywhere near my job. So having coworks that live around u really helps.
Old 09-10-2010, 08:09 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
It could possibly be true that people don't give up that easy. I don't know about other states, but in NC when you lose your lisence due to DUI you're allowed to buy a 50cc scooter. These things are everywhere. They still get you to work and you have the embarrassment of pulling into the parking lot on a scooter. There are other ways of getting to your job besides driving yourself. Friends, bus, coworkers perhaps? I don't want to see anyone lose their job over it, but the penalties aren't harsh enough.

Lol @ phee.
Not every one lives in a city where there is public transportation or can rely on people to give them rides. There are plenty of people (like myself) that put hundreds of miles a day on. Cant exactly have a friend drive you around or use a scooter. Plus scooters arent really that good in snow. I agree to an extent that (in some instances or places) that the penalties arent enough but to not grant them a work permit license (especially on the first offense) is stupid.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:28 AM
Three Wheelin'

A fine and permission to drive for work related activities sounds like a stupid penalty. Now the person can't drive to Blockbuster late at night and rent a movie.

I'm not saying the person should lose their license for a year on first offence. A month or two would make it hard enough on them that they'd hopefully learn a lesson or make you think twice before driving yourself to the bar. If you're life is that screwed up that you can't find a way to work so you completely give up hope and ignore all responsibilty, you're already at the tipping point. If the law stated that license suspension is mandatory on first offence, the employer would likely have some understanding of your situation. I believe most people could work through it. Then hopefully someone isn't killed the next time you consider driving under the influence.

Last edited by Blazin Si; 09-10-2010 at 09:32 AM.
Old 09-10-2010, 10:37 AM
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
I think the penalties for one DUI are generally ok, however I think it's ridiculous that there are people out there on the roads who have received numerous DUI's and are still allowed to drive.

I say after one you're not allowed to have a license nor are you allowed to own a car, that's just being reckless and stupid allowing people to drive after they have already fucked up once.
Old 09-10-2010, 12:02 PM
Banned

Received 960 Likes on 593 Posts
So they shouldnt be able to drive to work, possibly loose their job over it and possibly become unproductive members of society ?
I lost my license for nine months because of speeding when I was younger. I didn't miss a day of school or work (in fact, picked up a second job as well during this time).

Not having a license =/= end of the world.
Old 09-10-2010, 12:25 PM
Oh Hullow

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I have made mistakes in my life... none of which that could have potentially endangered another persons life, but still in this case what's done is done. i think that what will truly show OP's character is how he perseveres from this situation. He could take his punishment like a man, get his act together and turn things around, or he can laugh this off, do it again, and maybe next time kill himself or someone else.

Hopefully he pays enough of a price (both monetarily and emotionally) to learn a lesson from this and not just look at it as a travesty simply because he lost his car, but as a mistake that he can get a new perspective on life from. Or maybe that that's just wishful thinking? I'll reserve my judgment in the meantime though since nobody was hurt (though that is still no excuse for what he did).
Old 09-10-2010, 12:37 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,485 Likes on 1,049 Posts
Originally Posted by SRK85
That would be going to far. I'll admit it, I have drank a little more than I should have and drove. In fact, I even killed a bottle of wine by myself. Got stopped in a DUI checkpoint and got away with no problems. I am not advocating drinking and driving. But god damn if you been drinking please drive slow and obey the traffic laws. Going 100MPH plus is a death sentence even while sober.
How is it going too far? You could probably get a system installed for <$500, which IMO is a small price to pay. Not to mention the driver gets his ass saved as well, because how he just has to deal with taking a taxi home and if he's unlucky, pay for a parking ticket. I'd say that's a hell of a lot better than getting a DUI, which can result in fines, jail time etc. What are the downsides?
Old 09-10-2010, 01:14 PM
Senior Moderator

A fine and permission to drive for work related activities sounds like a stupid penalty. Now the person can't drive to Blockbuster late at night and rent a movie.

I'm not saying the person should lose their license for a year on first offence. A month or two would make it hard enough on them that they'd hopefully learn a lesson or make you think twice before driving yourself to the bar. If you're life is that screwed up that you can't find a way to work so you completely give up hope and ignore all responsibilty, you're already at the tipping point. If the law stated that license suspension is mandatory on first offence, the employer would likely have some understanding of your situation. I believe most people could work through it. Then hopefully someone isn't killed the next time you consider driving under the influence.
So explain to me how someone that works from their car and not in a office is supposed to go to work every day. Not exactly something you can bum a ride for.
I have seen people get it after leaving the bar having had 2-3 beers in a short period (being pulled over for something like a burned out tail light. I know of 3 people personally that have gotten it. They were by no means trashed, or enough to impair driving but because the limit was lowered (used to be .10) they were screwed. Wi was one of the last to switch to .08 because they were forced to with the threat of loss of federal funding if they didnt. Now if you go and sit at the bar for 6 hours and drink your whole paycheck away then decide to drive that may be a different story. How about the fine and punishment being based on the actual BAC.
Old 09-10-2010, 01:16 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by CocheseUGA
I lost my license for nine months because of speeding when I was younger. I didn't miss a day of school or work (in fact, picked up a second job as well during this time).

So how would you propose someone like me gets to work when he doesnt work out of a office/building? Cant exactly bum a ride for 8-10 hours or while out of town all week. There is no reason not to have a license with restrictions on when they can drive.
Old 09-10-2010, 01:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

So explain to me how someone that works from their car and not in a office is supposed to go to work every day. Not exactly something you can bum a ride for.
I have seen people get it after leaving the bar having had 2-3 beers in a short period (being pulled over for something like a burned out tail light. I know of 3 people personally that have gotten it. They were by no means trashed, or enough to impair driving but because the limit was lowered (used to be .10) they were screwed. Wi was one of the last to switch to .08 because they were forced to with the threat of loss of federal funding if they didnt. Now if you go and sit at the bar for 6 hours and drink your whole paycheck away then decide to drive that may be a different story. How about the fine and punishment being based on the actual BAC.
Lol, I knew the professional driver senario was coming. In that case there's nothing you can do but allow it for work related purposes.

I wouldn't know how to rewrite the laws. I just believe that the driving privledge is something that shouldn't be taken for granted. It's too easy to get and the current laws allow repeate offenders to drive on the same roads as my family.

Last edited by Blazin Si; 09-10-2010 at 01:52 PM.
Old 09-10-2010, 02:19 PM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
Originally Posted by CocheseUGA

how old were you? did you have a family, bills, etc etc? not everyone has a spouse or family that can drive em around.
Old 09-10-2010, 04:53 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
If I lost my license I would be riding my bike to work which would be 30minutes each way. If I had my last job still, I would be SOL as it was 102 miles each way with no vanpool. It's very easy for someone to lose their job with no license.
Old 09-10-2010, 06:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

I have a 48 mile commute and it would be difficult for me to find a way to work. There are probably thousands of people who would be SOL. How many would actually drop from a somewhat responsible working class citizen to a poverty stricken, welfare collecting trailer trash because they couldn't drive to work for a month or two? You must have had a deceitful life and burned every bridge for something like that to happen. If you were already borderline poverty when you lost your license, I doubt you'd have trouble finding another $10/hr job closer to your trailer.

My whole point is to have a set of laws that would scare people shitless. Get you to consider the consequences before you even start drinking. If you did happen to lose your job and had to struggle, maybe you'll never do it again. Maybe less innocent people would lose their lives.
Old 09-10-2010, 07:45 PM
Senior Moderator

I have a 48 mile commute and it would be difficult for me to find a way to work. There are probably thousands of people who would be SOL. How many would actually drop from a somewhat responsible working class citizen to a poverty stricken, welfare collecting trailer trash because they couldn't drive to work for a month or two? You must have had a deceitful life and burned every bridge for something like that to happen. If you were already borderline poverty when you lost your license, I doubt you'd have trouble finding another $10/hr job closer to your trailer.

My whole point is to have a set of laws that would scare people shitless. Get you to consider the consequences before you even start drinking. If you did happen to lose your job and had to struggle, maybe you'll never do it again. Maybe less innocent people would lose their lives.
Thats going by the assumption that the person is so intoxicated they are endangering every one. I am willing to bet that before long the limit will drop even lower. Its bound to happen. Does that make the person that stops for one beer with co workers on his or her way home a menace to society that deserves to be labeled as a potential killer?

I look at it this way, around here if im on the road after 2am i know and understand that there is a good possibility that if i were to get into a accident it would most likely be with a drunk person. I understand the risks for being on the road and accept them. I have a larger problem with 3-4-5 time offenders being on the road than i do with the 1st time. Hell i have a larger issue with the idiots on the road talking on the phone driving like they own the road in the middle of the day.
Old 09-10-2010, 07:50 PM
wham bam thank you ma'am

^txting is even worse, but we ALL do it.

in poland the limit it .02. really strict over there with alcohol, but than again, the drinking age is 18
Old 09-10-2010, 07:54 PM
My first Avatar....

Received 6,390 Likes on 4,071 Posts
I think any owner with a previous DUI should have his/her car fitted with one of those breathalyzer systems connected to the ignition. Blow over a certain limit, lock out the ignition. This way, the driver can still go to where he needs to, without risking the lives of everybody on the road. I know they have something like this in some areas, but IMO needs to be widespread.

Better yet, mandate it on every new car manufactured. This should be right up there with seatbelts and airbags.
Good ideas here.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:09 PM
Team Owner

That's a lot of assumption there. So the only people that would be affected by losing their license for a year or more are people that make $10/hr, live in a trailer, and have burned every bridge? It sounds like you have had an easy life. I don't have mommy and daddy to help me, my nearest relative is 2,000 miles away, my GF has one car and we work at different times. I've got a great set of friends but I don't expect them to loan me a car and give me rides for a year or two. Getting my license taken away would literally put me at poverty level over the course of a year.

Relying on fear to keep people from drinking and driving is just a small part. If you're not scared shitless of going to jail for a few nights, getting fined $2,000, going to all kinds of classes, and not having a car for at least a year, you're probably not the type of person that thinks about losing your job.

I'm as against drunk driving as anyone but I don't think a first time offender that had a couple beers after work deserves to have his whole life taken away. I also think that if someone was driving the way the OP was driving and was wasted, they deserve to have the book thrown at them. I don't drive even after having one beer because number one I'm afraid of the law and number two, it slows my reflexes and I figure even if I get in a wreck that's not my fault, what if I could have avoided it if my reflexes were better.
Thats going by the assumption that the person is so intoxicated they are endangering every one. I am willing to bet that before long the limit will drop even lower. Its bound to happen. Does that make the person that stops for one beer with co workers on his or her way home a menace to society that deserves to be labeled as a potential killer?

I look at it this way, around here if im on the road after 2am i know and understand that there is a good possibility that if i were to get into a accident it would most likely be with a drunk person. I understand the risks for being on the road and accept them. I have a larger problem with 3-4-5 time offenders being on the road than i do with the 1st time. Hell i have a larger issue with the idiots on the road talking on the phone driving like they own the road in the middle of the day.
I've seen studies where they took people on a course while drunk and while texting and texting was much more likely to cause accidents than drunk driving. I think the difference is with drunk driving you're more likely to have severe high speed accidents while most of the texting accidents I've seen are people rear ending people at low speeds.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:14 PM
Three Wheelin'

It should apply to anyone who fails a sobriety test or blows over the limit. There's nothing wrong with having a few beers after work and driving home. Just as long as you allow enough time for the effects to wear off. Is it really that big of a inconvenience? Even slightly buzzed can be enough for you to make a fatal mistake. That should be reason enough. The ones who just drank a few beers with their buddies could also be that guy who is talking on his cell phone doing 80 on the highway.

I understand what you're saying. There are probably plenty of genuinely good people out there who drank a small amount of alcohol and have some really bad luck. Everyone should get the same punishment in my opinion. If you know 100% what the consequences are before you make that decision, I feel it becomes much more effective.

If a really good friend of mine wasn't killed by a drunk driver, it's likely I wouldn't feel as strongly about this topic.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:32 PM
Senior Moderator

It should apply to anyone who fails a sobriety test or blows over the limit. There's nothing wrong with having a few beers after work and driving home. Just as long as you allow enough time for the effects to wear off. Is it really that big of a inconvenience? Even slightly buzzed can be enough for you to make a fatal mistake. That should be reason enough. The ones who just drank a few beers with their buddies could also be that guy who is talking on his cell phone doing 80 on the highway.

I understand what you're saying. There are probably plenty of genuinely good people out there who drank a small amount of alcohol and have some really bad luck. Everyone should get the same punishment in my opinion. If you know 100% what the consequences are before you make that decision, I feel it becomes much more effective.

If a really good friend of mine wasn't killed by a drunk driver, it's likely I wouldn't feel as strongly about this topic.
So your saying the punishment should be the same for the guy that is on his 5th as the guy with his first?
I dont agree with if you know the consequences it becomes more effective. Every one knows there are consequences. Yet it happens every day. Many dont even know or believe they are over the limit but yet would fail. Every one knows the consequences of speeding, get caught you get a fine, yet most still do it. I dont think jail time for the first (unless its stupid drunk) or something bad happened as a result is the answer or the required punishment. Ruining someones life/lively hood when they did nothing but get pulled over isnt a good solution. I believe the penalty should correlate to the BAC.
I have said all im going to say on it. We can just agree to disagree.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:33 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by I hate cars
That's a lot of assumption there. So the only people that would be affected by losing their license for a year or more are people that make $10/hr, live in a trailer, and have burned every bridge? It sounds like you have had an easy life. I don't have mommy and daddy to help me, my nearest relative is 2,000 miles away, my GF has one car and we work at different times. I've got a great set of friends but I don't expect them to loan me a car and give me rides for a year or two. Getting my license taken away would literally put me at poverty level over the course of a year.

Relying on fear to keep people from drinking and driving is just a small part. If you're not scared shitless of going to jail for a few nights, getting fined $2,000, going to all kinds of classes, and not having a car for at least a year, you're probably not the type of person that thinks about losing your job.
Losing your license for a year or more? Where on earth are you getting that from? I said a month or two. I also said EVERYONE gets the same punishment. Where in my post did I say that only trailer trash is affected?

I'm not going to address the rest of you post since it sounds like you misread almost all of mine. I'm not trying to be rude. I think your response would have been slightly different otherwise.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

We can just agree to disagree.
That's perfectly fine with me.
Old 09-11-2010, 09:07 AM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 811 Likes on 644 Posts
Originally Posted by Rajca
Not all us us text while driving. I hate texting in the first place and I'm certainly not doing it while driving.

in poland the limit it .02. really strict over there with alcohol, but than again, the drinking age is 18
.02 + being polish = .10 for everyone else.
Old 09-11-2010, 10:08 AM
.... .... .... ... ....

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Acurazine is full of immature fools.

What is the point of all the name calling? He knew what he did and was courageous enough to tell us. SO I guess everyone who dished out the name calling feel better about themselves?

I am sure atleast 90% of the people in this thread was guilty of drinking a beer and driving. Guess WHAT? that can still give you a DUI/DWI depending in what state you are in.

Everyone needs to jump off the OP balls sack!

and for poppintec to be banned? Too many moderators get too EMO for me
Old 09-11-2010, 10:33 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Luckily you didn't kill anybody with your negligence and stupidity speeding under the influence. A wrecked car should be the least of your worries.
Old 09-11-2010, 10:39 AM
My first Avatar....

Received 6,390 Likes on 4,071 Posts
Originally Posted by Blazing GT

What is the point of all the name calling? SO I guess everyone who dished out the name calling feel better about themselves?
"Name calling" is the outward display of the outrage and anger people feel about the OP being wasted and risking the lives of innocent people who could have been killed at his hands. It's not about "feeling better about themselves", and although it might not be the best way to express one's ideas, it's a pressure release valve, so to speak.

He knew what he did and was courageous enough to tell us.
Courageous? Probably ANOTHER lapse in judgement.
I am sure atleast 90% of the people in this thread was guilty of drinking a beer and driving.
NEVER by me.

Guess WHAT? that can still give you a DUI/DWI depending in what state you are in.
Wrong. BAC is completely dependent on the rate of consumption...the number of drinks per hour, the persons body weight, and their ability to breakdown the alcohol. One beer will most likely not put someone into a DUI situation.

Are you the conscience of the "immature fools"? Nice name btw.
As of late, in this thread...the OP's ball sack has been quite unencumbered.

Why don't you take it up with them?

Not that it matters but, it seems that you have not read the entire thread.
Old 09-11-2010, 03:07 PM
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Guys, stop posting bullshit
Old 09-11-2010, 03:31 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Originally Posted by pttl
Good ideas here.
Thanks, I appreciate it

What is the point of all the name calling? He knew what he did and was courageous enough to tell us. SO I guess everyone who dished out the name calling feel better about themselves?

I am sure atleast 90% of the people in this thread was guilty of drinking a beer and driving. Guess WHAT? that can still give you a DUI/DWI depending in what state you are in.

I wouldn't call admitting to drinking and driving on the internet "courageous". If he knew what he did was wrong, admitted it, apologized etc. and was generally humble about it, I don't think he would've gotten quite the ass-whooping he did get. Instead, the few posts he had after the OP were just name calling some other posters, which just added fuel to the fire.

Drinking a beer and driving is a lot different than drinking more than one beer, driving 100+mph and wrecking your car. Not many people can manage that with just one beer in their system. OP was either tipsy or flat-out drunk.

Originally Posted by Jacobpockros
Guys, stop posting bullshit
Old 09-11-2010, 04:39 PM
Q('.')=O

Received 721 Likes on 521 Posts

I wouldn't call admitting to drinking and driving on the internet "courageous". If he knew what he did was wrong, admitted it, apologized etc. and was generally humble about it, I don't think he would've gotten quite the ass-whooping he did get. Instead, the few posts he had after the OP were just name calling some other posters, which just added fuel to the fire.

Drinking a beer and driving is a lot different than drinking more than one beer, driving 100+mph and wrecking your car. Not many people can manage that with just one beer in their system. OP was either tipsy or flat-out drunk.
To throw my in...

I'm sure you are right about 90% of the people here have drunk and then drove afterwards. Yes I will admit I have driven home after having a few drinks. But was I going 120 mph? fucking hellll no. I don't know what would possess someone to drive that fast if you knew you were drinking. I know alcohol impairs judgement, but to THAT extent? Maybe he didn't tell us the whole truth.. like was he racing another car or something?

And yes he did admit what he did but he only said he was sad for his car? He should be happy he is alive. And if he can't take the replies from people on this forum then he shouldn't have posted in the first place... everyone knows what kinda replies you will get from a post like that once he said he was drunk and going 120. He couldn't take the heat and started cussing like a sailor and calling people names and . I don't think the mods are getting 'emo'; I think they still have the same standards they've always had relating to some of the posts in this thread and they did fine, plus they gave warnings before teh bannage
Old 09-11-2010, 05:05 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Going 100+ mph is stupid, period. Going 100+ mph while smashed is a fucking death wish

I've even met police officers who drive after having a beer or two. But they aren't going to send their car into a ditch, sober or not. Some people just don't know their limits.
Old 09-11-2010, 05:11 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Well there was another car that was driving with OP, maybe there is more to the story?
Old 09-11-2010, 06:07 PM
Q('.')=O

Received 721 Likes on 521 Posts
^

Old 09-11-2010, 07:02 PM
Team Owner

My contribution to this thread tonight.... Going to the "village fest". Pay to get in and it's free food and alcohol all night. Waiting for a ride because I'm pretty buzzed off of my two beers. Taxies are always lined up and free for the ride home. Plus you would have to be a retard to not take adavantage of the free taxis.
Old 09-11-2010, 10:08 PM
intelligentsia

Location: Land of cheap vodka, hot girls, and great nightlife
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats because when people drink in Poland they walk back to their residence. Europe does not suffer from the same problem because it is very easy to walk to a bar. I got plastered many times when I was in Poland, and walked back to my residence.
Old 09-11-2010, 10:40 PM
wham bam thank you ma'am

That is true, bar on every corner pretty much. Well I got my dd for tonight so I'm good to go.
Old 09-11-2010, 11:53 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts
there are so many vids of cars doing 140mph+ on youtube. saw a tsx video 0-142mph. what are these ppl thinking?

Quick Reply: R.i.p my tl it sucks to lose her