The Official Motorcycles/Scooters Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 01:19 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,144 Likes on 4,811 Posts
^ Yea, I hate doing it, but when its a difference of more then $100 they kind of force my hand.
Old 06-11-2010, 01:37 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
^ I guess I have an advantage as well b/c I have a CycleGear near me and they will price match to a point... so it usually end up being a minimal difference which is why I then buy from the store... to support them. If they close I lose a lot of resources and knowledge... so if they put forth an effort to even come close to online prices, I buy there.
Old 06-11-2010, 01:40 PM

The only thing we have in the area are dealers that price gouge.

If it was only a $20 or $30 difference, Id buy local, but $100 is new fork springs.
Old 06-11-2010, 02:26 PM
Senior Moderator

^ Yeah, I don't buy accessories from dealers either.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:08 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Received 2,000 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Well, I just picked up the SyMax II from a local "The Helmet Center" http://www.thehelmetcenter.com/

Had it in small and medium, tried them both on (shell is same just diff. inserts) and bought the small in white. It fits really well (to my untrained head) and the retail price there was the same as I was finding it everywhere online. Can't beat that. 9.3% Tax sucks, but I will live, and I got it on the spot, no shipping. Wearing it now to get the feel for it.

Terry, thanks for the great recommendation!

I am going to test ride a bike tomorrow 9CB750 pictured above), so I really wanted something to wear while I did. Next, a jacket...
Old 06-11-2010, 11:32 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 196 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by stogie1020
Well, I just picked up the SyMax II from a local "The Helmet Center" http://www.thehelmetcenter.com/

Had it in small and medium, tried them both on (shell is same just diff. inserts) and bought the small in white. It fits really well (to my untrained head) and the retail price there was the same as I was finding it everywhere online. Can't beat that. 9.3% Tax sucks, but I will live, and I got it on the spot, no shipping. Wearing it now to get the feel for it.

Terry, thanks for the great recommendation!

I am going to test ride a bike tomorrow 9CB750 pictured above), so I really wanted something to wear while I did. Next, a jacket...

No problem Jefford. I know you won't be disappointed.

My preference of jacket for many years now has been the ballistic nylon jackets of First Gear, specifically the Kilimanjaro. I believe it is only available in three-quarters length, which may be a little warm in your particular climate.

http://www.firstgear-usa.com/fgweb2....A?opendocument

Again, my preference for them is based upon collision experience. I suffered eighteen fractures from my accident, but no abrasions on my torso. The only cuts were to my wrists, and where the knee bone pushed through the tissue and then ground away through my riding pants. Both the jacket and pants needed to be cut off my body, holding up remarkably well. If you don't prefer riding pants, you may want to consider a type of denim jean where kevlar has been stitched inside. I wear these quite often, and they're actually quite comfortable.

Terry
Old 06-11-2010, 11:50 PM

I have a Joe Rocket Meteor (I think) jacket and riding pants. They are both textile. The pants allow me to ride to work in nice dress pants because they are break-aways. Ive got CE-approved protectors on the knees, elbows, and shoulders as well as the back. The original back padding was dual density foam that I upgraded to CE-approved. Both the jacket and the pants have a removable liner (most do) and Ive been out there in the 50s with no issues and in the high 90s (with liner removed) and perfectly fine - once moving that is. V-twins got hot sitting in one place.

Remember to take visibility into account. And by that I mean wearing all black may make you look like a badass, but at night people wont see you. And they have a hard enough time seeing you to begin with. Go with bright clothing, preferably something with reflectors.

And dont forget a nice pair of gloves. Mine have gaurds over all four knuckles as well as padding throughout the rest of the top of the fingers. I dont like them though because theres no padding on the palm and that area tends to get fatigued.

While we're on the subject - Anyone know of a nice pair of gloves with padding on the palms as well as nice knuckle protection?
Old 06-12-2010, 01:03 AM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Thanks Terry and Civicdrivr.

I have been looking at the FirstGear and JoeRocket jackets, so good to know I am onthe right track.

Looking like a badass is the least of my concerns. I got a white helmet. I plan to get a light colored jacket, too. It's 110 in the shade here in the summer, all black does not sound desirable to me!

I have been looking at:

JoeRocket Phoenix 5.0 mesh

And will definitely get the upgraded CE spine protector pad, too.
Old 06-12-2010, 01:19 AM

The Pheonix! Thats what I have I always get the two confused though. I have the 4.0 and I love it. Its the same colors but in a different pattern.
Old 06-12-2010, 07:26 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,031 Likes on 2,507 Posts
FWIW, Sport Bike Track gear has some great specials on Scorpion helmets and jackets. I have two EXO-400's and the quality/fit/finish are better than my older two Shoei's. They also fit me very well and are light with pretty good noise levels.

A few years ago Cycle World did their famous helmet test which did impact tests where they recorded the G loads and duration. It did alot to disprove the myth that expensive helmets offered better protection. IIRC the Scorpions and HJC's performed better than the Arai's and Shoei's.

http://sportbiketrackgear2.homestead.com/exo400.html

http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com...uts%3ACool+Rod
Old 06-12-2010, 07:29 AM
AZ Community Team

Glad to read you survived and made it back.

Originally Posted by teranfon
Oh boy.................

This is always an interesting debate. There are those that feel that a basic DOT is sufficient and those that feel a Snell rating is always best. Conversely, there are those that feel that a Snell is unsafe and a basic DOT actually safer (there are some studies that confirm this).

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/ge...iew/index.html

Whichever you decide, do your homework first. And once you decide on a particular brand or style, make sure it fits properly. It should be snug, but not uncomfortable. Personally, I prefer my flip-up type helmets. It's basically a full face, but the chin piece flips up and over the top of the helmet. It's great for putting on glasses or getting a drink of water.

Whatever you decide, I'm glad you're getting a full face. I have two brands of helmets: Arai, and HJC. The Arai is a full face fixed, while the HJC is a Sy-Max, which is their flip up style. Which is best? I don't know. But I can tell you that six years ago yesterday I suffered a horrific motorcycle crash which resulted in smashing my head against the pavement at 65 mph. I suffered a five inch skull fracture and had a severe brain injury resulting in therapy to learn to walk, talk, and write again. I'm told by professionals that it was my helmet that allowed for my continued existence. That helmet was actually returned to the manufacturer to be studied because it did exactly what it was supposed to do. That helmet was an HJC Sy-Max.

Terry
Old 06-12-2010, 07:35 AM
GEEZER

Received 2,214 Likes on 1,418 Posts
Still lovin' my Victory Vegas 8 ball!!! Pipes and Stage One tune on her now...she cooks!!!
Old 06-12-2010, 08:58 AM
AZ Community Team

Try that Scorpion Helmet link again

http://sportbiketrackgear2.homestead.com/exo400.html
Old 06-12-2010, 11:00 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by Legend2TL
Glad to read you survived and made it back.
Thanks Legend. It's all part of the adventure. Wouldn't wish it on anyone however.

Terry
Old 06-12-2010, 11:40 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Went and rode the CB750 pictured above (orange tank). It rode well (as far as I can tell) shifts were good, throttle, brakes and steering felt good.

It need a little TLC but appears to be mostly cosmetic. Directionals need to be re-wired (grounding issue in front) and reattached in the rear, Side cover plates are missing ($40 each on ebay), right side mirror is missing, and the tank needs a repaint some time, although it's pretty good overall. Seat lock is missing, so I guess someone could steal the battery if I leave it unattended. I could probably get it for $2k, but want to see another, fully restored (so says the ad) CB750 tomorrow hopefully that is listed for $2500. Owner put on cafe bars, which I am not sure I am happy about, but may not be a big deal to swap out for stock.

Last edited by stogie1020; 06-12-2010 at 11:42 PM.
Old 06-13-2010, 12:23 AM

Cool. Do you have any motorcyclist friends that can go with you to check it out?

BTW, especially with older bikes, take a peek inside the gas tank and make sure there isnt any rust.
Old 06-13-2010, 01:09 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by civicdrivr
Cool. Do you have any motorcyclist friends that can go with you to check it out?

BTW, especially with older bikes, take a peek inside the gas tank and make sure there isnt any rust.
civicdrivr makes a good suggestion. If you're unsure of the bike, have a friend or a qualified shop take a look at it. If the owner refuses, then walk away. Period.

Any bike you look at, enquire about the maintenance. Ask about the frequency of the oil changes. Inquire when the last valve adjustment was performed. Always ask for any receipts. Check the spokes for trueness and tightness. Make sure none are missing or bent. Look at the brake pads to seem how much material is left. Then look at the condition of the chain. Make sure there is plenty of adjustment room left on the rear swingarms. Inspect the sprockets. The front (from the gearbox) should have the same wear as the rear (on the wheel). Both sprockets should be in good shape with the teeth having good material left. Make sure the teeth are straight and true.

Next sit on the bike. Move the handlebars from end to end to see if there is any play or movement. No clunking. Inspect the clutch and brake cables to ensure they are in good shape. You'll notice adjustment knobs at each handle, and there should be a reasonable amount of thread adjustment at either side. Test all lights and the horn.

When off the bike, inspect the frame to see if there are any cracks or bends. If you have any straight wood lengths at home, then bring them with you. They need to be as long as the wheelbase of the bike. If you can do this, have the owner sit on the bike and hold the bike up straight and the front wheel pointed forward. Place a wood length at each side of the bike, with one end pressed up against two points on each side of the rear wheel. Both lengths will now extend up to the front wheel. The front wheel should now be between the the two wood lengths. This will give you a ballpark measurement to determine if the frame is twisted or the forks are bent. The front wheel should have approximately the same distance from each wooden length (side to side). Again, just ballpark, but if you have something like three inches on one side and an inch on the other, the bike has severe alignment problems.

Then check all fasteners on the bike, particularly around the engine and on the engine itself. Check for rounded edges and bolts/nuts that have been continuously removed or tightened.

And finally, make sure you're comfortable on the bike. Make sure all switch gear falls to hand and you can manage it's weight. Try holding it up with one foot as they taught you in your course, and imagine doing this in a regular basis. You'll know almost immediately if the bike feels "right".

Any problems or questions, give me a call on my cell.

Terry
Old 06-13-2010, 06:47 AM
AZ Community Team

Excellent wisdom. I bought a Honda 500 Interceptor new in 85 and still own today. Came very close to buying a CBR900RR, but that's another story.

Having fun also means being comfortable with the bike, a co-worker in his mid-50's who bought a used 250 twin a couple years ago then last year he wased bored with it bought a Suzuki 1L sportbike (not a GSXR1000, but the naked cafe bike they make). Despite the Suzuki being light, the engine was very powerful for a rider with only one year experience. Every week he'd tell me how sensitive the throttle was and how he was always nervous to ride it because he had to be very careful with throttle movement in lower gears. He spent more time worrying about crashing it than he enjoying the bike. He wound up selling the 250 and the 1000 and buying a used 650 twin Suzuki street bike and has been happy ever since.

Originally Posted by teranfon
Hi Jefford

Let me give you some advice if I may. From someone who's been riding one form of motorcycle or another for thirty-five years. Any bike has too much power, and smaller displacement bikes offer some of the best riding enjoyment.

Any bike can have too much power if not handled correctly. Don't worry about a medium displacement bike if you're comfortable with it. If you're responsible (and you undoubtedly are), then you'll use it's power and torque responsibly. As you know, I've owned numerous motorcycles, and for the most part all had more power than I needed and offered performance greater than my riding ability. The majority of riders, regardless of what they claim, do not have the skills to manage all the power most bikes offer. There is nothing wrong with power, but the trick is to use it wisely and responsibly.

Alternatively, small displacement bikes can be a lot of fun. And can still be enjoyed while a rider becomes more experienced. Some of my riding friends, a few who I consider to be outstanding riders, prefer the lightness and eagerness of a smaller machine. And they can often out ride those on bikes with twice or three times the displacement.

Spend some time finding the right bike. You'll know it immediately when you sit on it.

BTW:
I may ship one of my bikes when I'm down in Arizona this winter. Let's catch up and do some riding.

Terry
Old 06-13-2010, 07:39 AM
AZ Community Team

Wow didn't realize 70's CB750 retained that much resale value. My uncle had a early-mid 70's CB, I'll have to remind him how much they're worth now.

As a suggestion there may be a cheaper more fun alternative if you want the Honda inline 4 air cooled experience. I highly recommend a used 650/700/750 Nighthawk. The 700/750's have shaft drive and hydraulic valve lifters so there is very little maintenance. A friend had a 1984 700 and it didn't have the problems associated with the 70's CB750's (weak brakes, flimsy frame, exhaust pipe rusting, stem bearing wearing quickly, limp suspension).

The looks are more modern and I guess that can be debated, but I rode one and it was a very fun bike to have, good handling, plenty of power, comfortable riding position, and very affordable to maintain and insure. Overall it's far easier to own compared to my uncle's CB750. I can also understand the allure of classic 70's CB750.

Back in the 90's I went to a classic motorcycle meet up in southern PA, and it was amazing to see how many collect and restore 60's and 70's Japanese motorcycle. Some of the 60's Honda twins are worth alot.

Went and rode the CB750 pictured above (orange tank). It rode well (as far as I can tell) shifts were good, throttle, brakes and steering felt good.

It need a little TLC but appears to be mostly cosmetic. Directionals need to be re-wired (grounding issue in front) and reattached in the rear, Side cover plates are missing ($40 each on ebay), right side mirror is missing, and the tank needs a repaint some time, although it's pretty good overall. Seat lock is missing, so I guess someone could steal the battery if I leave it unattended. I could probably get it for $2k, but want to see another, fully restored (so says the ad) CB750 tomorrow hopefully that is listed for $2500. Owner put on cafe bars, which I am not sure I am happy about, but may not be a big deal to swap out for stock.
Old 06-13-2010, 11:15 AM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Wow, you guys are awesome! Great collection of pointers to look for.

I did look inside the gas tank yesterday, and it looked clean, no rust that I could see.

The owner had six bikes! and many many tools plus hydraulic bike lifts in his home garage, and said he did most of the maintenance himself (i.e. removed the air box and put Uni filters on, oil changes, etc.) but had a shop recently replace all cables, front ?fork bearing? and a few other items. I only checked the rear sprocket, will have to remember to look at the front too, as well as the spokes on the wheels. The frame 'looked' OK (I didn't measure) and the owner said he rebuilds carbs for all his bikes, and had done a rebuild on this bike about 400 miles ago. He also gave me the name of the shop where, when he had service done by someone else, he took it to.

It's not a perfect situation for sure (I will have to install the chain guard, front and rear indicators, seat lock mechanism, side mirror, side covers) but these all seem fairly cosmetic, and if I am lazy, I can have a shop do it all for probably $400-$500 tops (owner has the parts minus the side covers and mirror).

The second one I am going to look at (hopefully today) has been restored fully and most likely needs none of this work, although it has the cafe style handlebars and an aftermarket exhaust on it (neither of which appeal to me). It's pretty (in the pictures) but I don't know if I want a pretty looking bike for my first, since I may cause some 'damage'... Either way I am sure I will be happy with whichever one I get.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:16 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Well, I went and saw the "pretty" CB750. No effing way. It took the owner about 10 minutes to explain all the still present gremlins, outline what he did to rehab the bike from being laid down, and explain why he found a crushed washer inside one of the cylinders. He also explained all the places the bike would leak from, and then...

...He started it.

It sounded like something as smooth as the least smooth engine you have ever heard.

I thanked him for his time and his honesty and then ran away like a frightened child.

I think I am going to pull the trigger on the orange 750 posted above. Mechanically it looked good. Cosmetically, it needs some love, but that's cool with me.
Old 06-15-2010, 09:00 AM
Senior Moderator

I think I am going to pull the trigger on the orange 750 posted above. Mechanically it looked good. Cosmetically, it needs some love, but that's cool with me.
Nice. If the internals and bones are in good shape, a little TLC on the cosmetic side of things is nothing. Let us know when you get it!
Old 06-15-2010, 09:34 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Originally Posted by juniorbean
Nice. If the internals and bones are in good shape, a little TLC on the cosmetic side of things is nothing. Let us know when you get it!
I am a little giddy! I am trying to take Friday off and go pick it up then. I have a 25-30 minute ride on it home, and have mapped out non-big roads to ride on. It was a very comfortable bike to ride around the seller's neighborhood, but the open road with traffic is different, so I am trying to pick it up in the morning after rush hour to minimize traffic. I paid for rush delivery on a riding jacket with ce armor, and will have a friend follow me home.

Truthfully I am not too concerned about riding it home, but once there, will spend several weeks practicing in the neighborhood before venturing too far. Mostly due to skill level, but also to make sure the bike is reliable.

I am wicked excited though. <-- I don't like this "excited" smiley. Needs some work...
Old 06-15-2010, 10:04 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Congrats Jefford! It sounds like a great bike!

Terry
Old 06-15-2010, 10:21 PM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts
Congrats stogie! be safe and post pics soon.
Old 06-15-2010, 10:27 PM

Congrats!! Post pics when you get it! If you need some parts or want some to find more resources on the CBs, let me know. A few guys on my bike forum have built CBs and they love them.
Old 06-15-2010, 11:51 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Thanks guys!

I will definitely post pics when I get it.

Civic, I am certainly in need of side covers (both sides, black), fork boots, and a left side mirror. Also any info on getting a replacement seat lock would be useful.

Thanks tons!
Old 06-16-2010, 04:30 AM
JDM Laser Fogs!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I know it's not to every ones liking, but I've been getting into dual sport and supermoto bikes recently. Things like the Honda CRF230L/ XR650L. I know they're not chick magnets like the pocket rockets... but what do you guys think? I'm guessing insurance will be cheaper as well?
Old 06-16-2010, 09:08 AM

I LOVE Supermotos. Honestly, I love damn near anything on two wheels.

Stogie - Ill get those sites for you
Old 06-16-2010, 11:09 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by lifetimeofwar
I know it's not to every ones liking, but I've been getting into dual sport and supermoto bikes recently. Things like the Honda CRF230L/ XR650L. I know they're not chick magnets like the pocket rockets... but what do you guys think? I'm guessing insurance will be cheaper as well?
I love supermotos as well, and have wanted one for a while. My problem is two-fold. 1) They're usually too tall for me and 2) I'd want to race it (or at least track it on a supermoto layout) and I cannot find anything in my area which would allow me to do so.

So b/c of those reasons I've stuck with my Aprilia as the only bike currently in my stable.
Old 06-16-2010, 12:15 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
post pics!
Old 06-16-2010, 05:25 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Originally Posted by civicdrivr
Stogie - Ill get those sites for you
Awesome, thanks!
Old 06-16-2010, 09:51 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Just called Geico and got insurance. They were almost 1/2 the cost of Nationwide, who holds my car and my house policy

$116 per year for 25/50/25 and 20K in property damage liability coverage.
Old 06-18-2010, 07:25 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

It's MINE!

Old 06-18-2010, 09:27 PM
Safety Car

Received 145 Likes on 90 Posts
Big congrats! Looks classically classic. Be safe and don't feel you have to meet some schedule in your practice. I think it took me a month before I was on the open roads. Granted, I had six months off after my MSF.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:52 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Thanks Anachostic!

I hope to get it back completely to stock, except for the OEM brown and gold paint job.

For right now, I am just riding it around my neighborhood, which it pretty big but not freeway levels of traffic.

I have no desire to use it as a daily driver or ever go on the freeway if I can help it.
Old 06-18-2010, 11:39 PM
I disagree with unanimity

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
Congrats! Looks like a fun bike. Can't wait to see more pics.

It took me a few weeks to get up the courage to go on the freeway. Now, I'd much rather drive there than in the city, because you don't have to worry about cars from all directions.
Old 06-19-2010, 12:23 AM

x2

It took me a long time to finally hop on the highway, but once I did I felt comfortable with it. I still haven't gone on I95 through Richmond yet, and I really dont want to. The I95/I64 interchange gets hectic.

But congrats on it! Take more pics. Im trying to dig up the thread that was on my bike forum about the CBs.
Old 06-19-2010, 01:01 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Thanks guys.

Civic, feel free to post up the forum, I might be inclined to cheat on AZine for this one time and join another forum too...
Old 06-19-2010, 01:50 PM

Well, I cant find the exact thread on my forum but here are a few others Ive found:

http://www.cb750c.com/

http://www.sohc4.net/

http://www.cb1100f.net/modules.php?name=Forums

http://www.nighthawk-forums.com/index.php?board=75.0

http://honda-cb750-s.456789.n3.nabble.com/

http://www.japjunk.net/forum/

Quick Reply: The Official Motorcycles/Scooters Thread