The Official Motorcycles/Scooters Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 02:42 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 196 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by nokiaman
It's been a while I've been saying I wanted to get a motorcycle license but never went through with it for a few reasons:

1-I have this thought in my head as morbid as it is that most people eventually lay their bikes down, even if they aren't at fault, most drivers are very unconsiderate of bicycle and motorcycles in general. I can't afford a fatal accident as I have young kids.

2-I've always felt like I was a car guy more than anything, bikes appealed to me in theory but was I ready in practice?

3- My brother-in-law died three years ago riding his Kawasaki and it was very hard on our families. My wife is still not fully recovered and told me she would put me to the curb if ever I was to get one.

So with this in mind, I ended up throwing that idea in the back of my mind until today when after several attempts by my friends, I gave in and climbed behind my friend on his GSXR750.

To summarize the experience in word would be mind-blowing. He claimed he never got near past 7k rpms but it felt like he was giving it all it had. The acceleration is simply mind-bending. I won't start about the adrenaline kick and shit-eating grin I would get out of the exhaust revs. We did a small wheelie at one point and it felt surreal.

Throw in the fact that you can get a good bike at a reasonable price and I started second-doubting myself on this topic. I don't need a 750cc like my friend's but I started fantasizing of what could be.

So for those who have been down this road, what to do? Am I being childish? I know I can convince her but it will take a long, long time. For those who ride, I definitely see why now.
Hi Mark

The best advice I can give you is to listen to your wife. You may enjoy motorcycling, but you seem to love your wife. There is a tremendous difference. Each time you feel the thrill of twisting the throttle on a bike, your wife will feeling nothing more than anguish and dread. Whether she is correct in her thoughts or assumptions isn't the issue, but you choosing to do something that fills her with dread is.

I've been riding for over thirty years and have owned dozens of motorcycles. I suppose I ride more than most people who own motorcycles and enjoy it immensely. As you may or may not know, I was badly injured over five years ago while on a motorcycle trip and was not expected to survive. Eventually I rode again, but was fortunate to have the support of both friends and family. More than questioning my own fears when deciding to ride again, I questioned the pain and fear of others if I decided to return. Thankfully all around me understand the desire to ride again and supported my decision.

The choice is yours to make, but consider that your actions may be of detriment to those around you.

Good luck whatever you choose.

Terry
Old 03-29-2010, 08:51 PM
I Drive Like A Dick 8≈

Received 79 Likes on 66 Posts
My new GSXR

Ok, well new is a horrible word for this bike but here's the story:

IT WAS FREE, and really who would pass up an offer to have a free bike. So my plan is to rebuild it or at least take it all apart and learn something. So I thought this would be a good place to start and ask questions and opinions. The story of the bike goes that it was obviously dropped, and the engine is shot.

Oh and its a 1992
Old 03-29-2010, 08:56 PM
I Drive Like A Dick 8≈

Old 03-29-2010, 09:15 PM
I Drive Like A Dick 8≈

So what is everyones thoughts?? keep it? scrap it?

If keep it, any ideas that would be interesting to do?
Old 03-29-2010, 09:18 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 574 Likes on 409 Posts
idk looks like it needs to much work to make it look good a drive
Old 03-29-2010, 09:26 PM
I Drive Like A Dick 8≈

Ya, it needs a lot of TLC, but I know nothing about bikes so I'm hoping that some of the guys with bikes will chime in and give me their opinion.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:53 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
you can buy a bike for under 1000 that at least is in running condition. by the time you purcahse the parts to get that one moving you'll be over the price of another decent bike.

edit: scrap it!

Last edited by distortedolskool; 03-29-2010 at 09:56 PM.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:07 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Unless you have a very strong sentimental attachment to that bike, part it out on Craigslist and use the money to buy a cheap runner.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gen7Milan
Unless you have a very strong sentimental attachment to that bike, part it out on Craigslist and use the money to buy a cheap runner.
This.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:31 PM
I Drive Like A Dick 8≈

No sentimental attachment, I was more-so wanting to do a build to learn some stuff rather than have a bike. If it was to hard I was planning on parting it out.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:12 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Originally Posted by distortedolskool
you can buy a bike for under 1000 that at least is in running condition. by the time you purcahse the parts to get that one moving you'll be over the price of another decent bike.

edit: scrap it!

Originally Posted by Gen7Milan

For the amount of money you are going to have to put into that bike to get it running safely you can just go buy a better bike.

Unless you really really have a very strong desire to fix that bike up and dump money into it... scrap it and buy another one.

Last edited by juniorbean; 03-30-2010 at 01:55 PM.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:39 AM
I disagree with unanimity

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
I agree with the others.....not worth the time and money.
Old 03-30-2010, 12:11 PM
The Box

Received 80 Likes on 59 Posts
It's that time of the season again!

I miss my moped
Old 03-30-2010, 03:43 PM
Former Whiner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
IT is time!
Old 04-01-2010, 12:21 AM
I Drive Like A Dick 8≈

sounds like I'm scraping it
Old 04-01-2010, 10:32 AM
Senior Moderator

Damn... went to start the bike yesterday and the battery is dead, but not completely since the dash comes on. Gonna go pick up a charger and see what happens come tomorrow
Old 04-01-2010, 10:48 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Going to work on the bikes this weekend. Just basic stuff like oil changes and valve adjustments. Hopefully be riding next week!

Terry
Old 04-01-2010, 12:29 PM
Corn-Fed Mule

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by juniorbean
Damn... went to start the bike yesterday and the battery is dead, but not completely since the dash comes on. Gonna go pick up a charger and see what happens come tomorrow
Buy a Battery Tender Jr and never worry about a dead battery again...
Old 04-01-2010, 09:06 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,142 Likes on 4,809 Posts
Im fighting the eccentric on my bike so I can replace the cush rubbers and lube everything up. Then toss the new chain and sprockets on, mount my headlight, and finish up the electronics. Oh yea, and buy tires.......
Old 04-02-2010, 07:29 AM
J M U ... DUUUKEESSSS

Received 266 Likes on 131 Posts
UGH! Rode my bike to work today, but before I left, I left my bike on the driveway to let it warm up, and it tipped over

Frame and spool sliders took most of the damage, but I have a cracked front fairing, broken clutch lever and scrapes on my left mirror/frame & spool sliders

I don't even know if it's worth fixing everything. I'll probably replace the clutch lever, but leave everything else as it is. Never thought I'd damage my bike by it tipping over
Old 04-02-2010, 11:20 AM
Rooting for Acura

Received 1,740 Likes on 800 Posts
Originally Posted by SHYUperman
UGH! Rode my bike to work today, but before I left, I left my bike on the driveway to let it warm up, and it tipped over

Frame and spool sliders took most of the damage, but I have a cracked front fairing, broken clutch lever and scrapes on my left mirror/frame & spool sliders

I don't even know if it's worth fixing everything. I'll probably replace the clutch lever, but leave everything else as it is. Never thought I'd damage my bike by it tipping over
Damn that sucks! Sorry to hear that. It is worth fixing. That doesn't sound that expensive.
Old 04-02-2010, 11:31 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by jim165
Buy a Battery Tender Jr and never worry about a dead battery again...
LOL... I was actually just coming in here to post that I picked one up yesterday for $30 on sale. Hooked it up last night, bike started right up today. Good to be back on the road
Old 04-04-2010, 01:38 PM
Rooting for Acura

Received 1,740 Likes on 800 Posts
I got a speeding ticket yesterday. It's gonna be a doozy too. 77 in a 40. Now, before I get flamed, this is a route that bikers come from miles around to ride; Lime Creek Rd, if you know the place. It is always a risk riding it but thousands of riders take that risk often.

Anyway, I am soo pissed, but I'm trying to deal with the reality that this sort of thing comes with the territory and every once in a while you gotta take your lump. Anyway, just wanted to vent...
Old 04-05-2010, 08:49 AM
Senior Moderator

^ Doh!
Old 04-05-2010, 03:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Looks like the battery tender did the trick. Bike turned right over! Took the bike out for a nice ride today. What a beautiful day. 87 and sunny. Can't beat the smell of spring from a motorcycle. Convertible may be close, but still not the same.

When I got home I wiped it down, put it on the stand, and took off the kickstand. Going to drop that off to a local bike shop tomorrow to have it shortened about 1/2". Need to shorten it since I got the bike lowered. At the stock height the kickstand keeps the bike too upright. Need a little more lean so I don't need to worry about it tipping over when parked if someone sneezes near it
Old 04-05-2010, 05:54 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by knight rider
I got a speeding ticket yesterday. It's gonna be a doozy too. 77 in a 40. Now, before I get flamed, this is a route that bikers come from miles around to ride; Lime Creek Rd, if you know the place. It is always a risk riding it but thousands of riders take that risk often.

Anyway, I am soo pissed, but I'm trying to deal with the reality that this sort of thing comes with the territory and every once in a while you gotta take your lump. Anyway, just wanted to vent...
ouch! i have to knock on wood i haven't been stopped out that way. i am surprised you don't see more cops on those roads since it is easy pickings with all of the blind corners and popularity among riders. been down that road many times but all the gravel usually keeps me away (seen some close calls).
Old 04-26-2010, 03:49 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,649 Likes on 13,889 Posts
Anyone see this site...?

http://www.bikeexif.com/

Very nice!
Old 04-26-2010, 04:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Looks like the battery tender did the trick. Bike turned right over! Took the bike out for a nice ride today. What a beautiful day. 87 and sunny. Can't beat the smell of spring from a motorcycle. Convertible may be close, but still not the same.

When I got home I wiped it down, put it on the stand, and took off the kickstand. Going to drop that off to a local bike shop tomorrow to have it shortened about 1/2". Need to shorten it since I got the bike lowered. At the stock height the kickstand keeps the bike too upright. Need a little more lean so I don't need to worry about it tipping over when parked if someone sneezes near it
Got the kickstand back last week, put it on... .perfect lean angle!! Of course I took it out that day. I'm glad to be riding again. Now I need to scan the local scene for bike shows and meets!!
Old 05-11-2010, 08:29 AM
Racer

Received 194 Likes on 90 Posts
Well, I finally went and did it. I got my motorcycle endorsement! I took the written test at the DMV last Monday, the MSF classroom on Wednesday and on the road Saturday and Sunday morning. Yesterday I made it official, paid the $13.50, showed the DMV that I completed the class and now I have an official membership to the club. The class was my first time ever on a bike, and it just seems a little weird that all of sudden I can ride on the freeway at night with no helmet (none of which I plan on doing anytime soon.)

The classroom part was informative, but I didn’t like the format. I wish there would have been more discussion instead of going around the room and having students answer 126 questions. I’m sure one of the instructors had been riding for 50 years and knew everything there was to know about motorcycles, but he couldn’t run the DVD or projector to save his life. And the poor whiteboard will have our curriculum on it for a while thanks to permanent markers.

The parking lot part of the class was great. I learned quite a bit on that Yamaha TW200. Both days were very cold, starting out in the low 30’s, and Saturday it snowed off and on for 30 minutes. Right before starting the road test on Sunday, we got to watch someone taking the class in the next lot over fall off his bike, the bike kept going and eventually fell over. Thanks for that confidence builder! 8 of 10 passed the test.

Now begins the search for that first bike...
Old 05-11-2010, 11:08 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 269 Likes on 229 Posts
^ good job. I have been wanting to get my license for a while now but I am just too lazy to go and do it myself. I need someone else to go with me and all my friends don't wanna spend the money (400$ or more for riding school + 50$ for the test).

Some of my friends have their licenses so if I got a bike I can ride with them. We just have to ride in a group and it's legal for me to ride. I saved up some money and found a nice, almost brand new 2006 r6 for a very good price. Then I come home from the bank and find out my dad has skin cancer and that he might not be able to work as they have to start treatment right away. So bike idea is on hold as I have to start taking care of mortgage and bills and stuff like that.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:55 AM
Corn-Fed Mule

Good to hear the Tender is working out for you. My Tender has extended the life of my OEM battery for at least a year, but it'll need replacing in the near future. What type of bike do you have, again?

Last edited by jim165; 05-11-2010 at 11:56 AM. Reason: wrong quote
Old 05-14-2010, 08:58 AM
Senior Moderator

^ Yeah, it's been great. Bike fires up immediately every time. My battery was fairly new, but this winter was one of the coldest/longest since we moved here, so the bike was hardly started... so the battery eventually drained. But so far so good with the Tender!

I have an Aprilia Tuono. There are some pics in this topic... but here's the thread I made when I got it...

https://acurazine.com/forums/car-talk-5/new-bike-just-got-delivered-722936/
Old 06-03-2010, 02:08 PM
Corn-Fed Mule

^ Yeah, it's been great. Bike fires up immediately every time. My battery was fairly new, but this winter was one of the coldest/longest since we moved here, so the bike was hardly started... so the battery eventually drained. But so far so good with the Tender!

I have an Aprilia Tuono. There are some pics in this topic... but here's the thread I made when I got it...

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=722936
I'm kinda late with the response, my apologies, but just wanted to say super nice bike, man!
Old 06-03-2010, 02:54 PM
Senior Moderator

^ No worries, I wasn't expecting a response. Thanks for the kind words though!

I actually just renewed the registration and inspection and am getting ready for a nice mountain ride this weekend. Should be fun!
Old 06-03-2010, 05:44 PM
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
I rode a motorcycle for the first time this weekend, well it was a dirtbike on 150 acres of private land with trails everywhere. What an exhilarating experience, so much more fun than ATV's. I'm looking into taking a MSF class, they're $250 here and there's no test once you've passed it.
Old 06-03-2010, 05:58 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Received 2,000 Likes on 1,173 Posts
As I said in one of the other M/C threads, I just passed the MSF class/test and am looking at buying a bike.

I am interested in older bikes, at least their styling, and
am looking on CL for something like a 1978-1979 Honda CB550/750

Most of what I am finding is 750s and I am concerned that is too big a bike for my first bike. They run from $1500-$2500 based on condition, and I found one in really good shape (appearance) for $2200.

I also like the (New) Triumph Bonneville

But they run $8k new and are also 800cc+ powerful bikes...

I don't know if a bike that big/heavy is so good to learn on.

I don't want a cruiser or a sport bike, just not my style...

Any thoughts or suggestions for a starter bike for me?
Old 06-03-2010, 06:51 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
I have a soft spot for Triumphs.

I love the cafe racer / naked bike look.

At +/- 450lbs the Bonneville is pretty darn light.
Old 06-03-2010, 08:09 PM
Safety Car

Received 145 Likes on 90 Posts
Originally Posted by stogie1020
Most of what I am finding is 750s and I am concerned that is too big a bike for my first bike. They run from $1500-$2500 based on condition, and I found one in really good shape (appearance) for $2200.
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but the fact that the bike is a 750 isn't necessarily a deal-breaker. I started on an 800, only because I couldn't find any 500's to start with.

Now a 750 cruiser, typically a v-twin, has a much different throttle response than a 750 sportbike. The former can get you in trouble and the latter will just flat out kill you. One of the differences is that the sportbike engine is a 4-cylinder.

I know some of the vintage bikes are also 4-cylinder (and some 3), before v-twin became popular. Their power delivery can be deceivingly high and possibly dangerous for a beginner.
Old 06-03-2010, 08:49 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by stogie1020
As I said in one of the other M/C threads, I just passed the MSF class/test and am looking at buying a bike.

I am interested in older bikes, at least their styling, and
am looking on CL for something like a 1978-1979 Honda CB550/750

I also like the (New) Triumph Bonneville

But they run $8k new and are also 800cc+ powerful bikes...

I don't know if a bike that big/heavy is so good to learn on.

I don't want a cruiser or a sport bike, just not my style...

Any thoughts or suggestions for a starter bike for me?
Hey Jefford

I've owned a few older Hondas and Kawis. Simply wonderful bikes.

Have you considered the Suzuki 650DL (affectionately called the Wee-Strom) or the Kawasaki Versys? Both are excellent bikes with loyal followings. The Wee and the Versys are appreciated by adventure riders for their upright seating positions, long suspension travel, anvil like reliability, and relatively simple construction. Either bike can roll hard on the highway and also travel rough roads with ease. Many experienced riders consider either to be among some of the best all around bikes currently available. Both are also quite affordable, especially pre-owned examples.

Terry
Old 06-03-2010, 08:58 PM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts
Hey Stogie, check out this bike if you're looking for something vintage looking...

http://www.suzukicycles.com/Product%...egory=standard

It's cheap and at 250CC definitely a starter bike.

Quick Reply: The Official Motorcycles/Scooters Thread