The Official Honda S2000 Thread - Page 7 - AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

Go Back  AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community > Automotive Discussion > Car Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official Honda S2000 Thread

Notices

The Official Honda S2000 Thread

 
Old 02-26-2008, 11:32 PM
  #241  
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ
 
iTimmy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Lexington, KY
Age: 37
Posts: 7,522
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Walmart Gangsta
haha^

on topic...i heard the F20 doesnt respond well to mods....what are yalls take on this
Read the first few pages of this thread. There is no cheap power to be had, but if you want more power its easy to get, it just costs a lot. Most have no desire for it, the car is reliable and fun to drive the fact its not fast doesn't bother most. Its not hard to get the car into the twelves and its possible to be in the low twelves with enough effort, but you start to lose reliability and the value starts to drop. If you want a fast car, buy something else, if you want a car that will put a smile on your face every time you get behind the wheel get the S2k.
iTimmy is offline  
Old 02-26-2008, 11:36 PM
  #242  
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ
 
iTimmy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Lexington, KY
Age: 37
Posts: 7,522
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
Depends on what year. 06+ S2000's have drive by wire, so that has to be taken into account.

06+ would all be F22 not F20, and the 06 in particular has the hondata reflash available, which does not exist for the older cable throttle cars - if you don't want to go FI, its your best bet for more power.
iTimmy is offline  
Old 02-26-2008, 11:38 PM
  #243  
Senior Moderator
 
Ken1997TL's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Better Neighborhood, Arizona
Posts: 45,384
Thanked 2,144 Times in 1,222 Posts
Originally Posted by iTimmy
06+ would all be F22 not F20, and the 06 in particular has the hondata reflash available, which does not exist for the older cable throttle cars - if you don't want to go FI, its your best bet for more power.
Interesting.

I know the F22/ap2 came out in '04, but hearing that the Hondata flash is only for '06 and newer will throw a wrench into my cheapass plans
Ken1997TL is online now  
Old 02-26-2008, 11:45 PM
  #244  
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ
 
iTimmy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Lexington, KY
Age: 37
Posts: 7,522
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
Interesting.

I know the F22/ap2 came out in '04, but hearing that the Hondata flash is only for '06 and newer will throw a wrench into my cheapass plans
I just double checked the only reflash for S2000's is 06-07, that said its not really that impressive for what it costs, if you really want more performance your better off taking that $600 and applying it towards FI.

There are two different reflashes, well check it out yourself

http://www.hondata.com/reflash.html
iTimmy is offline  
Old 02-26-2008, 11:50 PM
  #245  
Senior Moderator
 
synth19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 16,405
Thanked 650 Times in 188 Posts
Wtf?!?!?!??!?

I leave for a month and Jesal steals my idea?!?!! congrats!

btw... I LOVE THAT INTERIOR! You will too.... in time.
synth19 is offline  
Old 02-27-2008, 07:51 AM
  #246  
Senior Moderator
Thread Starter
 
Crazy Bimmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Chicago Burbs
Age: 38
Posts: 34,940
Thanked 637 Times in 276 Posts
^ But you want an NSX, im not baller for that.

I also fine with low 14s in the 1/4 for the s2k. If i want to go faster, i have the 335.
Crazy Bimmer is offline  
Old 02-27-2008, 08:37 AM
  #247  
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ
 
iTimmy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Lexington, KY
Age: 37
Posts: 7,522
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
^^^ Completely with you, part of what makes the S2k so much fun is the fact that its not expensive, dumping close to 10k into the car going FI takes the value out of it, for that price there are a lot of other cars that will go faster and be more reliable.
iTimmy is offline  
Old 02-27-2008, 09:30 AM
  #248  
Senior Moderator
 
srika's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Chicago
Posts: 53,655
Thanked 7,233 Times in 3,882 Posts
Doing FI on an S2k is automotive sacrilege, in my book. It's just totally going against what the intent and purpose of the car was. It would be like buying a Porsche GT3 and adding twin turbos to it.
srika is offline  
Old 02-27-2008, 11:11 AM
  #249  
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Clemson
Age: 31
Posts: 476
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
have yall seen those 2JZ swapped S2000's?....they look like a blast to drive
Walmart Gangsta is offline  
Old 02-27-2008, 11:18 AM
  #250  
where is....
 
AznX TL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: palmyra,pa
Age: 30
Posts: 8,380
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Walmart Gangsta
have yall seen those 2JZ swapped S2000's?....they look like a blast to drive
i don't think they're very stable, plus you can't use the stock gauge cluster. i think i'd rather just buy a supra than to put in the 2jz into the s2k.
AznX TL is offline  
Old 02-27-2008, 11:53 AM
  #251  
Registered Member
 
SakiGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Age: 35
Posts: 5,115
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by srika
Doing FI on an S2k is automotive sacrilege, in my book. It's just totally going against what the intent and purpose of the car was. It would be like buying a Porsche GT3 and adding twin turbos to it.
Well then call me the anti-christ.

I guess my issue is, Im not too fond of any other roadsters. Ive had several friends who either bought and were dissapointed with, or passed over S2000s simply because of power. My weekend car needs to at least have close, if not above, to the hp as my daily.
SakiGT is offline  
Old 02-27-2008, 12:01 PM
  #252  
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Clemson
Age: 31
Posts: 476
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^^ for real...that whole roadster mentality is for old men.....i need something balls to the wall fast for a weekend car
Walmart Gangsta is offline  
Old 02-27-2008, 12:16 PM
  #253  
Registered Member
 
EuRTSX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: District of Corruption
Age: 31
Posts: 23,594
Thanked 105 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by Walmart Gangsta
^^ for real...that whole roadster mentality is for old men.....i need something balls to the wall fast for a weekend car

You're 20. You don't know what you want.
EuRTSX is offline  
Old 02-27-2008, 12:18 PM
  #254  
I now drive an accord....
 
spdy0001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Etters, PA
Age: 37
Posts: 4,800
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by EuRTSX
You're 20. You don't know what you want.
This walmart kid is quickly becoming the most annoying member of Azine
spdy0001 is offline  
Old 02-27-2008, 12:20 PM
  #255  
Senior Moderator
Thread Starter
 
Crazy Bimmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Chicago Burbs
Age: 38
Posts: 34,940
Thanked 637 Times in 276 Posts
Originally Posted by Walmart Gangsta
^^ for real...that whole roadster mentality is for old men.....i need something balls to the wall fast for a weekend car

Whats the point if it cant get the power to the ground or handle well?

I bought the S2k to toss it around on a track, not race people from a roll in a straight line. Hi supras
Crazy Bimmer is offline  
Old 02-27-2008, 12:20 PM
  #256  
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Clemson
Age: 31
Posts: 476
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spdy0001
This walmart kid is quickly becoming the most annoying member of Azine
wow...you have no idea how much that means to me...
Walmart Gangsta is offline  
Old 02-27-2008, 12:23 PM
  #257  
Registered Member
 
EuRTSX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: District of Corruption
Age: 31
Posts: 23,594
Thanked 105 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by Walmart Gangsta
wow...you have no idea how much that means to me...

EuRTSX is offline  
Old 02-27-2008, 12:23 PM
  #258  
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Clemson
Age: 31
Posts: 476
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Crazy Sellout
Whats the point if it cant get the power to the ground or handle well?

I bought the S2k to toss it around on a track, not race people from a roll in a straight line. Hi supras
a little bit of torque never hurt anybody....and suspension work can always be done, not like the S2K ever needed it
Walmart Gangsta is offline  
Old 02-27-2008, 12:32 PM
  #259  
Registered Member
 
eccjak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Vanouver/Chicago
Posts: 1,853
Thanked 22 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Walmart Gangsta
have yall seen those 2JZ swapped S2000's?....they look like a blast to drive
Yeah, I've seen it. Cool I guess, but why waste all the money. The F20 is a great motor. I would rather track the then race in a straight line.
eccjak is offline  
Old 02-27-2008, 12:37 PM
  #260  
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ
 
iTimmy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Lexington, KY
Age: 37
Posts: 7,522
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Walmart Gangsta
^^ for real...that whole roadster mentality is for old men.....i need something balls to the wall fast for a weekend car
Ironically, I did buy my S2000 after I retired. Speed gets old quickly, driving a slow car fast is much more fun then driving a fast car slow, which is what you have to do 90+% of the time. There is so much more to a car being enjoyable then just speed, if speed equalled driving satisfaction ferrari wouldn't be in business. Like I said, if your sole desire of a car is to go fast, the S2000 is not for you, there are way better ways to go fast for the same money.

Now my ensure is calling me, you'll have to excuse me.
iTimmy is offline  
Old 02-27-2008, 12:38 PM
  #261  
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ
 
iTimmy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Lexington, KY
Age: 37
Posts: 7,522
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by spdy0001
This walmart kid is quickly becoming the most annoying member of Azine

its shame the rep system wasn't in place
iTimmy is offline  
Old 02-27-2008, 12:40 PM
  #262  
Registered Member
 
EuRTSX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: District of Corruption
Age: 31
Posts: 23,594
Thanked 105 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by iTimmy
Ironically, I did buy my S2000 after I retired. Speed gets old quickly, driving a slow car fast is much more fun then driving a fast car slow, which is what you have to do 90+% of the time. There is so much more to a car being enjoyable then just speed, if speed equalled driving satisfaction ferrari wouldn't be in business. Like I said, if your sole desire of a car is to go fast, the S2000 is not for you, there are way better ways to go fast for the same money.

Now my ensure is calling me, you'll have to excuse me.

Yum. Ensure.

Anyways, well said.
EuRTSX is offline  
Old 02-27-2008, 12:47 PM
  #263  
Senior Moderator
 
GreenMonster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Swansea, MA
Age: 52
Posts: 35,219
Thanked 13 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by spdy0001
This walmart kid is quickly becoming the most annoying member of Azine


His name has come up in conversation.... I don't think he's long for this forum

Originally Posted by Walmart Gangsta
wow...you have no idea how much that means to me...
Take it to heart... or you're going to be shown the door in no short order
GreenMonster is offline  
Old 02-27-2008, 12:49 PM
  #264  
Registered Member
 
eccjak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Vanouver/Chicago
Posts: 1,853
Thanked 22 Times in 19 Posts
This is one of my fav videos. Best motoring J's S2000 vs Amuse S2000.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/X5kdHYypqqw&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/X5kdHYypqqw&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
eccjak is offline  
Old 02-27-2008, 12:50 PM
  #265  
Registered Member
 
SakiGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Age: 35
Posts: 5,115
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by iTimmy
Ironically, I did buy my S2000 after I retired. Speed gets old quickly, driving a slow car fast is much more fun then driving a fast car slow, which is what you have to do 90+% of the time. There is so much more to a car being enjoyable then just speed, if speed equalled driving satisfaction ferrari wouldn't be in business. Like I said, if your sole desire of a car is to go fast, the S2000 is not for you, there are way better ways to go fast for the same money.

Now my ensure is calling me, you'll have to excuse me.
I have a PT rated at 230/260, more with my mods.

I dont need to drive it above the speed limit to enjoy myself. However, if I decide I want to merge quickly, or exit quickly, I dont want to have to up my RPMs to do so.

Truthfully its been a while since Ive been in an S2000 and I remember them being a joy to be in. However I could see the slowness becoming an issue with me eventually.

Anyone buying an S2000 isnt doing it for a dedicated race or track car. There are better cars out there in either category. I think the S2000 is about balance. The lack of torque kills it for me, Im too spoiled.
SakiGT is offline  
Old 02-27-2008, 12:51 PM
  #266  
where is....
 
AznX TL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: palmyra,pa
Age: 30
Posts: 8,380
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i've never wanted an s2000 so bad after watching this.
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JAEqCNZLyuo&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JAEqCNZLyuo&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
AznX TL is offline  
Old 02-27-2008, 12:59 PM
  #267  
Senior Moderator
 
srika's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Chicago
Posts: 53,655
Thanked 7,233 Times in 3,882 Posts
Originally Posted by SakiGT
Well then call me the anti-christ.

I guess my issue is, Im not too fond of any other roadsters. Ive had several friends who either bought and were dissapointed with, or passed over S2000s simply because of power. My weekend car needs to at least have close, if not above, to the hp as my daily.
nah - I know people still do it.
srika is offline  
Old 02-27-2008, 01:19 PM
  #268  
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Clemson
Age: 31
Posts: 476
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GreenMonster


His name has come up in conversation.... I don't think he's long for this forum



Take it to heart... or you're going to be shown the door in no short order
meh whatever...im not breaking any rules.....
Walmart Gangsta is offline  
Old 02-27-2008, 01:21 PM
  #269  
on to the next one...
 
bgsm1th's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Mpls. MN
Age: 37
Posts: 4,872
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SakiGT
I have a PT rated at 230/260, more with my mods.

I dont need to drive it above the speed limit to enjoy myself. However, if I decide I want to merge quickly, or exit quickly, I dont want to have to up my RPMs to do so.

Truthfully its been a while since Ive been in an S2000 and I remember them being a joy to be in. However I could see the slowness becoming an issue with me eventually.

Anyone buying an S2000 isnt doing it for a dedicated race or track car. There are better cars out there in either category. I think the S2000 is about balance. The lack of torque kills it for me, Im too spoiled.
I see what you are getting at, BUT, I'm looking for a late model, used vert that's fun to drive and under $20k, what else is there for me? And please don't mention the Miata.
bgsm1th is offline  
Old 02-27-2008, 01:24 PM
  #270  
Registered Member
 
EuRTSX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: District of Corruption
Age: 31
Posts: 23,594
Thanked 105 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by Walmart Gangsta
meh whatever...im not breaking any rules.....

Yet.
EuRTSX is offline  
Old 02-27-2008, 01:31 PM
  #271  
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ
 
iTimmy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Lexington, KY
Age: 37
Posts: 7,522
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Walmart Gangsta
meh whatever...im not breaking any rules.....
I wish I could say it was nice knowing you, but I'm not one to lie.

I think the writing is on the wall in regards to your presence here

"You are not special. Your are not a beautiful or unique snowflake. You are the same decaying organic matter as everything else."
iTimmy is offline  
Old 02-27-2008, 01:39 PM
  #272  
Senior Moderator
Thread Starter
 
Crazy Bimmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Chicago Burbs
Age: 38
Posts: 34,940
Thanked 637 Times in 276 Posts
Originally Posted by bgsm1th
I see what you are getting at, BUT, I'm looking for a late model, used vert that's fun to drive and under $20k, what else is there for me? And please don't mention the Miata.

Damn you! I was about to just say that.

Ill report back to see if the S2k gets annoying with the lack of torque compared to my 335. I will be daily driving it on nice days so we will see how annoyed i get with a lack of low end.

So far i been enjoying revving the crap out of it. Course i can see that getting on my nerves if i had to deal with it everyday in traffic.

As for a weekend car.. i couldnt think of anything more fun and reliable for under $20k.
Crazy Bimmer is offline  
Old 02-27-2008, 01:41 PM
  #273  
I now drive an accord....
 
spdy0001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Etters, PA
Age: 37
Posts: 4,800
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Walmart Gangsta
meh whatever...im not breaking any rules.....
Famous last words
spdy0001 is offline  
Old 02-27-2008, 02:08 PM
  #274  
Registered Member
 
SakiGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Age: 35
Posts: 5,115
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bgsm1th
I see what you are getting at, BUT, I'm looking for a late model, used vert that's fun to drive and under $20k, what else is there for me? And please don't mention the Miata.
Did you read my quote right before that one? I cant seem to find anything else either...
SakiGT is offline  
Old 02-27-2008, 05:32 PM
  #275  
Senior Moderator
 
Ken1997TL's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Better Neighborhood, Arizona
Posts: 45,384
Thanked 2,144 Times in 1,222 Posts
Originally Posted by iTimmy
I just double checked the only reflash for S2000's is 06-07, that said its not really that impressive for what it costs, if you really want more performance your better off taking that $600 and applying it towards FI.

There are two different reflashes, well check it out yourself

http://www.hondata.com/reflash.html
Thanks for the link. Drove an '05 today, its fast enough. No need to mod it.

Owner was asking $25,000 for it. It IS in excellent, dare I say perfect condition, but I'm trying to keep it as close to $20,000 as possible.
Ken1997TL is online now  
Old 02-27-2008, 05:45 PM
  #276  
Senior Moderator
 
srika's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Chicago
Posts: 53,655
Thanked 7,233 Times in 3,882 Posts
Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
Thanks for the link. Drove an '05 today, its fast enough. No need to mod it.
see I felt exactly the same way. The S2k was plenty fast enough for me. (I would have to get the AP2, it had noticeably more torque than the AP1, down low.) I have a heavy foot and need all the help I can get staying out of trouble.
srika is offline  
Old 02-27-2008, 05:51 PM
  #277  
Senior Moderator
Thread Starter
 
Crazy Bimmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Chicago Burbs
Age: 38
Posts: 34,940
Thanked 637 Times in 276 Posts
Yea i think you can get a new one for 28k now. At least thats what some are reporting on the S2k forum.

Im totally not into JDM modding. I been on the S2k forum and i think the mods most people do look terrible.

/snob
Crazy Bimmer is offline  
Old 02-27-2008, 06:07 PM
  #278  
Registered Member
 
nokiaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 6,273
Thanked 236 Times in 97 Posts
I'm going to start searching for a clean used S2k.
nokiaman is offline  
Old 02-27-2008, 06:08 PM
  #279  
Senior Moderator
Thread Starter
 
Crazy Bimmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Chicago Burbs
Age: 38
Posts: 34,940
Thanked 637 Times in 276 Posts
Originally Posted by nokiaman
I'm going to start searching for a clean used S2k.

Thought you needed a 4 door sedan for clients.

Or that Aston Martin that you PMed me about?
Crazy Bimmer is offline  
Old 02-27-2008, 06:13 PM
  #280  
Registered Member
 
nokiaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 6,273
Thanked 236 Times in 97 Posts
Originally Posted by Crazy Sellout
Thought you needed a 4 door sedan for clients.

Or that Aston Martin that you PMed me about?
I found the 4 door sedan, we bought a used A8L.

I was looking into the AM mainly as a weekend car but I found out that the closest AM dealer was about two hours away from me, in Montreal. With english cars, things tend to go wrong. An S2k is much cheaper and will still provide an enormous amount of fun.
nokiaman is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The Official Honda S2000 Thread


Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.