Lexus: To put a stop to haggling prices.

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2015, 10:58 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts

Stupid move in my opinion.

Lexus dealerships ban haggling over price

For car buyers who savor the art of the deal, Lexus dealerships might not be a top destination anymore.

Toyota's luxury division is introducing a negotiation-free policy to differentiate the Lexus dealership experience in a narrowing premium field, according to a report by the Detroit Free Press.

A dozen cherry-picked Lexus dealers will experiment with the pilot test in which prices for both new and used vehicles, as well as parts and service will be non-negotiable, according to comments from Jeff Bracken, Lexus' general manager cited by the Detroit Free Press.

The strategy isn't entirely new, but hasn't been used by dealerships since General Motors scrapped Saturn, Bracken told the Detroit Free Press, adding "The dealer has to be willing to let the customer walk away or word gets out and the model falls apart."

Toyota did not immediately respond to CNBC's request for comment.

Toyota reported better than expected U.S. sales in July, but recently lost its title as the world's largest carmaker by sales when it was surpassed by Germany's Volkswagen.
Old 08-07-2015, 11:13 AM

Received 5,293 Likes on 3,627 Posts
A lot of dealers (not just Lexus, the most advertising by 1 Acura dealer) around here have started advertising things like this "to improve the car buying experience"
Old 08-07-2015, 11:42 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 3,594 Likes on 1,720 Posts
Are they going to cut their MSRP by $10k on every vehicle

A dealership not wanting to come down on price would be #1 reason for me to never walk foot in there. The car buying process sucks because its a never ending list of shit they want to sell you, especially options for the car. You could either option out a new 4series or buy an ILX. Who the hell wants to spend $30k in options?
Old 08-07-2015, 11:48 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
<p>A lot of the Sonic owned dealerships have been doing this &quot;True Price&quot; thing which eliminates negotiation...</p>
Old 08-07-2015, 03:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by juniorbean
<p>A lot of the Sonic owned dealerships have been doing this &quot;True Price&quot; thing which eliminates negotiation...</p>
I had the same experience at a Sonic BMW dealer. Their attitude completely changed when I told them I'm going to the dealer across the town because they had a lower price.
Old 08-07-2015, 03:09 PM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
Toyota's luxury division is introducing a negotiation-free policy to differentiate the Lexus dealership experience in a narrowing premium field, according to a report by the Detroit Free Press.

The strategy isn't entirely new, but hasn't been used by dealerships since General Motors scrapped Saturn, Bracken told the Detroit Free Press, adding "The dealer has to be willing to let the customer walk away or word gets out and the model falls apart."
This person must not know of Scion's Pure Price, where "the price you see is the price you pay. No haggle, no hassle."
Old 08-07-2015, 03:15 PM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
Originally Posted by Joneill44

A dealership not wanting to come down on price would be #1 reason for me to never walk foot in there. The car buying process sucks because its a never ending list of shit they want to sell you, especially options for the car. You could either option out a new 4series or buy an ILX. Who the hell wants to spend $30k in options?
This feels like the Scion Pure Price model. Price you pay will likely be lower than the MSRP, but who knows how much of a discount it will be. Asking full MSRP on a car with no discount will drive almost every potential customer away to another dealership across town.

Scion Pure Price | No Hassle Car Purchase | Scion.com

PURE PRICE - A DEFINITION

Scion Pure Price means the price you see in the dealership, on the dealership's website, or other dealer advertising locations is the price you pay. This applies to the vehicle, accessories, finance rates and insurance products. With Scion Pure Price, you know the price you will pay and you don't have to spend your time negotiating.

WHY USE PURE PRICE?

Our customers told us they want a shorter, simpler process with less pressure - and we listened. With Scion Pure Price, you don't have to negotiate price - or wait for someone to "crunch the numbers."

MSRP VS. DEALER'S PRICE

MSRP is the Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price that appears on Scion.com. The price that is shown on your dealer's website, which may or may not be the same as MSRP, is the price you'll pay for your new Scion. Pure Process is a completely transparent pricing system to help save you the time you would otherwise spend negotiating for a "deal."
Old 08-07-2015, 03:33 PM
seizure force field!

Received 115 Likes on 95 Posts
Originally Posted by Joneill44

Pretty much the exact reason I walked out of CarMax and never went back.
The following 2 users liked this post by v6cord2k5:
Flipster23 (08-07-2015), JS + XES (08-07-2015)
Old 08-07-2015, 03:45 PM
Ex-OEM King

Received 5,827 Likes on 3,849 Posts
The dealership I bought my Jeep from had a no haggle price and was $2k cheaper than the haggle dealership's best offer.
Old 08-07-2015, 06:22 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
As long as their no haggle price is reasonable, I think that is fine. But if they are saying no haggle price on MSRP, then they are fuking out of their mind.
The following 5 users liked this post by oonowindoo:
Flipster23 (08-07-2015), flyromeo3 (08-08-2015), justnspace (08-08-2015), kurtatx (08-09-2015), Undying Dreams (08-22-2015)
Old 08-07-2015, 06:25 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,334 Likes on 1,962 Posts
<p>This is why I stay out of Carmax... Especially since Carmax is already overpriced as is. Hopefully none of the dealerships in my area start to do this...</p>
Old 08-07-2015, 06:50 PM
Ex-OEM King

Received 5,827 Likes on 3,849 Posts
Originally Posted by Flipster23
<p>This is why I stay out of Carmax... Especially since Carmax is already overpriced as is. Hopefully none of the dealerships in my area start to do this...</p>
Carmax is only good to buy an unreliable car and get their awesome warranty. Anything else and you should take your business elsewhere.
Old 08-07-2015, 08:51 PM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
This is a huge WIN for the dealer only.
Old 08-07-2015, 08:56 PM
Rooting for Acura

Received 1,740 Likes on 800 Posts
Lexus. Really? I hate to perpetuate a stereotype but I swear the last time I went into a Lexus dealership most of the customers were Asian. I also look around and half the Lexuses I see have Asian drivers. Everyone knows Asians haggle on price (again, generalizing). Would this move upset a significant customer base for Lexus? Or perhaps this is a move to stop the haggling with this significant customer base?
Old 08-07-2015, 10:18 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 811 Likes on 644 Posts
Originally Posted by knight rider
Lexus. Really? I hate to perpetuate a stereotype but I swear the last time I went into a Lexus dealership most of the customers were Asian. I also look around and half the Lexuses I see have Asian drivers. Everyone knows Asians haggle on price (again, generalizing). Would this move upset a significant customer base for Lexus? Or perhaps this is a move to stop the haggling with this significant customer base?
All Asians haggle but to different extents based on their home country. Vietnamese and Cambodians will haggle to the very last penny. Japanese will haggle a bit but in the end just want to be treated fairly.

Middle eastern folks are the toughest IMO. When they walked into any dealer I worked at it was like Moses parting the Red Sea watching the salesmen clear out. I always walked right up to them. They drove here in something, they must have bought it somewhere, I might as well be the guy to sell them the next one. I had a sales manager who claimed he never closed a deal with someone named "Patel". I told him it was because he was negative, anyone named Patel who comes in, give them to me, I'll politely haggle with them all day and send them home in their new car. It's all about understanding the culture they grew up in and tayloring the process to suit that culture. FWIW, the Patels who negotiated for 2 hours before agreeing to the deal typically love you once the deal is agreed to.

That said, the only people Lexus' plan will work with is single soccer moms who are scared of car buying. Anyone who grew up in a haggling country won't accept it's a good deal until they beat you up on price a bit.
The following 3 users liked this post by black label:
Costco (08-08-2015), ggesq (08-08-2015), Oh Sickest TL (08-10-2015)
Old 08-08-2015, 12:54 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,194 Likes on 687 Posts
Been hearing about this at work, but don't know if we'll be testing it. We can already afford to offer some deals well under MSRP due to our high volume, but sometimes even then, Sewell will go a step further just to get the client.

Depending on just what kind of prices this no-haggle system comes up with, it could give Sewell a slight advantage knowing we can't come off the price we offer unless they too, become a test bed.
Old 08-08-2015, 06:58 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
<p>
</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>Be a man. DO THE RIGHT THING!&nbsp;</p><p>Today, you come by only thity fo, fifty. tomorrow you come by, &nbsp;200 dolla.</p><p>Be a man.</p>
The following 2 users liked this post by justnspace:
oonowindoo (08-09-2015), PortlandRL (08-13-2015)
Old 08-08-2015, 07:45 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts

Some merit to this approach if the price is OK. This may help with some who'd rather pay a little more for an easy approach. That would not be me.
Old 08-08-2015, 09:22 AM
I'm Craig

Received 299 Likes on 207 Posts
Definitely caters to the crowd who are afraid of dealerships. Not a bad approach, but I'd prefer haggling if it means a few hundred or thousand cheaper.
Old 08-08-2015, 09:50 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by SamDoe1
The dealership I bought my Jeep from had a no haggle price and was $2k cheaper than the haggle dealership's best offer.
Same. My CTS-V was froma "True Price" dealer and to date it's one of the best prices I've seen. <br />
<br /><br />I think if you know your prices it's really not a big deal.
Old 08-08-2015, 09:57 AM
Trolling Canuckistan

Originally Posted by neuronbob
Some merit to this approach if the price is OK. This may help with some who'd rather pay a little more for an easy approach. That would not be me.
There in lies the problem. All it takes is one person to successfully negotiate a lower price and the model is broken.

I worked at "honda north" in MA or a while which was a one price dealer. Sometimes it worked, but many times people could negotiate a better deal. Once one salesman does it, others want to as well. I feel pretty confident in saying all car salesman would rather a minimum commission for their time than no commission for their time. At that point, one price is a scam.

As much as people claim to hate negotiating car deals, 99.8 percent of them still do it.

Working at a extreme high line dealer (which Lexus is not) is the one exception. I sold many a porsche by telling customers the price on the window sticker and I know the guys (guy actually) at our Lamborghini sister store did the same. The only reason that worked was rich folks will pay for exclusivity
Old 08-08-2015, 10:01 AM
Trolling Canuckistan

Same. My CTS-V was froma "True Price" dealer and to date it's one of the best prices I've seen. <br />
<br /><br />I think if you know your prices it's really not a big deal.
Your a bit of an exception being in the industry. You can recognize a good deal by the deal itself, not by the amount off MSRP. "Chevy took $10,000 off the price of my truck, why can Acura only take $1500 off the price of this TSX? You guys are trying to rip me off."
Old 08-08-2015, 11:07 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by black label
Your a bit of an exception being in the industry. You can recognize a good deal by the deal itself, not by the amount off MSRP. "Chevy took $10,000 off the price of my truck, why can Acura only take $1500 off the price of this TSX? You guys are trying to rip me off."
In the industry?
Old 08-08-2015, 11:23 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
All the BMW dealerships around me are like this. A guy I work with bought a new 1M and an X1 from the same dealership. He tried haggling on price when he wanted to buy his M3 from the same dealer. They told him "this is the price, take it or leave it."
Old 08-08-2015, 06:12 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

In the industry?
Hmmm, maybe I'm confusing you with a different mod.
Old 08-09-2015, 12:06 AM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by v6cord2k5
Pretty much the exact reason I walked out of CarMax and never went back.
Carmax sucks. My friend was looking for (and bought) a Lexus IS250, and every single one had something wrong with it. Them not negotiating on price would make me walk out, but he didn't have many options on financing so he went for it anyway.

Say no to carmax.
Old 08-09-2015, 06:24 PM
Rooting for Acura

Received 1,740 Likes on 800 Posts
Originally Posted by spawn_x
Carmax sucks. My friend was looking for (and bought) a Lexus IS250, and every single one had something wrong with it. Them not negotiating on price would make me walk out, but he didn't have many options on financing so he went for it anyway.

Say no to carmax.
Yes. Carmax is for buyers with bad credit. Carmax started off as a good company (IMO). I would say Carmax's day will come but unfortunately someone has to cater to the less creditworthy car buyer, and Carmax is the 800 pound gorilla in that space.
Old 08-09-2015, 07:11 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes. Carmax is for buyers with bad credit. Carmax started off as a good company (IMO). I would say Carmax's day will come but unfortunately someone has to cater to the less creditworthy car buyer, and Carmax is the 800 pound gorilla in that space.
The car he bought was the "cleanest" we saw, and even that one had painted rims on one side (what the heck??).

He did get a nice 27% APR. When I saw it I laughed and explained that his 20k car is going to cost him 50k once he is done paying it off. The rep completely ignored the APR talk and tried to get him to hurry up and sign. He did.

I do remember carmax "back in the day", but they are a giant now
Old 08-10-2015, 09:09 AM

<p>
The car he bought was the &quot;cleanest&quot; we saw, and even that one had painted rims on one side (what the heck??). He did get a nice 27% APR. When I saw it I laughed and explained that his 20k car is going to cost him 50k once he is done paying it off. The rep completely ignored the APR talk and tried to get him to hurry up and sign. He did. I do remember carmax &quot;back in the day&quot;, but they are a giant now
</p><p></p><p>hope your friend never has to owe you or breaks your stuff.</p><p>&nbsp;</p>
Old 08-10-2015, 09:11 AM
Senior Moderator

<p>
Hmmm, maybe I'm confusing you with a different mod.
I think so. &nbsp;That's not me </p>
Old 08-10-2015, 03:27 PM
2024 Honda Civic Type R

Received 1,454 Likes on 923 Posts
He did get a nice 27% APR. When I saw it I laughed and explained that his 20k car is going to cost him 50k once he is done paying it off. The rep completely ignored the APR talk and tried to get him to hurry up and sign. He did.
And you let him sign it?

I would not let a friend do something that foolish.
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (08-11-2015)
Old 08-10-2015, 05:43 PM
seizure force field!

Received 115 Likes on 95 Posts
<p>I think so. &nbsp;That's not me </p>
Likely confused you for Eddie aka Shoofin
The following users liked this post:
juniorbean (08-13-2015)
Old 08-11-2015, 12:30 AM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by cM3go
Stupid move in my opinion.
I helped my co-worker buy a new car recently and he's the type that doesn't like hassle. He traded in his ~$4k car for $1k for the convenience. He gets tired just listening to negotiating strategies lol, even though he's not quite baller enough to just go get whatever he wants at MSRP. He's the type that would love the no hassle experience.

No offense to any salesfolk and dealers here, but many in the industry are not pleasant to deal. Being scripted doesn't help either. "If we can get you a good price, are you ready to buy today?" zzzzzz.

So the change would surely improve the buying experience for a sizable amount of people. How it affects profits is a whole separate ballgame. I would guess that they have worked on a fancy pricing algorithm that will take into account zip code and likely vary the price more frequently as they make future tweaks. The apartment rental market could be a close analogy; regional management can vary the pricing on the fly on a daily basis.
Old 08-11-2015, 12:49 AM
Instructor

Anyone who grew up in a haggling country won't accept it's a good deal until they beat you up on price a bit.
Interesting experiences, always wanted to know a dealer outside of his job

Maybe Lexus is being smart by sending those customers to other brands? Their overall image includes the kind of guys that step out of their cars, though they can't influence the private party used car market much.

Originally Posted by cjTL
Definitely caters to the crowd who are afraid of dealerships. Not a bad approach, but I'd prefer haggling if it means a few hundred or thousand cheaper.
What probably feels good is thinking we got it for hundreds / thousand less than other buyers But we as buyers don't have the full picture. Flat pricing removes this possibility of doing better than the previous guy but devil's in the details with pricing. I won't complain if the final price is better overall.

Last edited by tmux; 08-11-2015 at 12:59 AM.
Old 08-11-2015, 09:46 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
The car he bought was the "cleanest" we saw, and even that one had painted rims on one side (what the heck??).

I do remember carmax "back in the day", but they are a giant now
You let him go forward with that purchase? You're a bad friend. A very bad friend, indeed.

Or, he's just an idiot. I guess you really can't fix stupid. He'd have been better off buying a beater and driving it until the wheels fall off, while rebuilding his credit in any other, cheaper way possible (I'm guessing thats why he was at 27%).
Old 08-11-2015, 10:51 AM
Instructor

27% wow. Can always refi it though. Each day is costly!
Old 08-11-2015, 11:14 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
They make Loan sharks look like public servant at 27%.
Old 08-11-2015, 12:44 PM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
27%

I was mad that I got 0.9% instead of ZERO.
The following 2 users liked this post by JS + XES:
TacoBello (08-11-2015), Undying Dreams (08-22-2015)
Old 08-11-2015, 12:55 PM
Someday, an RS6 Avant+

Received 946 Likes on 515 Posts
27%? Is that even legal? That's like negotiating a hand job then finding out she has no hands, just metal claw hooks.
The following 6 users liked this post by mrmako:
00TL-P3.2 (08-11-2015), CLtotheTL32 (08-11-2015), justnspace (08-11-2015), PortlandRL (08-13-2015), Undying Dreams (08-22-2015), wackjum (08-13-2015) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-11-2015, 12:57 PM

<p>lol mrmarko is funny today.</p>

Quick Reply: Lexus: To put a stop to haggling prices.