General Car Talk Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2020, 05:22 PM

Received 5,414 Likes on 3,705 Posts
I do the same. Sit on the garage floor & use my feet to assist.
Old 09-22-2020, 09:05 AM
Ex-OEM King

Received 5,992 Likes on 3,948 Posts
Originally Posted by Aman
I'll sit down on a stool or even on the ground when mounting wheels. Probably not the safest, but I can use my feet to help lift and it's not nearly as backbreaking.

My '03 VWs had that, but the '14 Passat didn't. It wasn't markedly quicker or easier, IMO.

I'd love to know if NASCAR crews do anything unique to get wheels on the right way every time. Sometimes it feels like F1 pit crews struggle more with centre lock wheels than NASCAR crews do with studded hubs.
Practice for hours a day, every day in addition to tons of strength training.
Old 09-22-2020, 09:20 AM
Someday, an RS6 Avant+

Received 990 Likes on 532 Posts
Originally Posted by TylerT
This.

Only positive for me is having an excuse getting underneath my car to get a current status check.

Even then .. that usually ends with "Alright .. gotta order this ... gotta order this ... which I will eventually get to".
I think the same way. My Volvo has 115K on the odometer so it's not like I'm going to the dealer. I like doing the routine things. Oil changes are a PITA, but while there I check the plugs, air filter, belts, etc... Plus I use it as a way to teach my kids about how cars work.
The following users liked this post:
TylerT (09-23-2020)
Old 09-22-2020, 10:57 AM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,319 Likes on 4,899 Posts
Nascar uses bullet nose lug studs to limit the chances of a cross thread.

But most importantly, they glue the lug nuts to the wheel so they're not fumbling with their nuts while mounting.

Heh.
1killercls (09-23-2020)
Old 09-23-2020, 08:58 AM

https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a3...cy-protection/

Garrett is a name known far and wide in the car industry. The Swiss-based company is famous for building some of the best turbochargers in the business, supplying countless automakers. The firm announced Monday it has voluntarily filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection to protect its long-term business sustainability, citing a downturn in sales thanks to the COVID-19 pandemic.

The news comes less than two years after Garrett spun off from its former parent company Honeywell International. According to Benzinga, Garrett took on "significant liabilities" during the spinoff in the form of payments to victims of asbestos exposure that originated from Honeywell's Bendix division.

"Garrett’s fundamentals are strong, but the heavy debt load and liabilities the company inherited following the spin-off from Honeywell, compounded by the financial strains of COVID-19, have created a significant long-term burden on its business development," the company said in a statement.

In addition to the debt restructuring process, Garrett has agreed—pending regulatory approval—to be acquired by KPS Capital Partners, a private equity firm, for $2.1 billion. The company expects to operate normally throughout the transition, continuing to provide products to its customers and retain connections with its suppliers. Hopefully, it'll mean more big Garrett-branded turbo swaps for years to come.
Old 09-23-2020, 09:54 AM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,319 Likes on 4,899 Posts
Wow.

Old 09-23-2020, 10:00 AM
Turd Polisher

Received 3,017 Likes on 1,515 Posts
Originally Posted by mrmako
I think the same way. My Volvo has 115K on the odometer so it's not like I'm going to the dealer. I like doing the routine things. Oil changes are a PITA, but while there I check the plugs, air filter, belts, etc... Plus I use it as a way to teach my kids about how cars work.
Yup - And ... I've never owned a car with a warranty before.

The moment I do .. shits going straight to the dealer
mrmako (09-24-2020)
Old 09-23-2020, 10:02 AM

My Merc went to the dealer for anything I could get covered under warranty (CPO). Still did oil changes & tire rotations at home.
Old 09-23-2020, 10:38 AM
Ex-OEM King

Originally Posted by TylerT
Yup - And ... I've never owned a car with a warranty before.

The moment I do .. shits going straight to the dealer
Yup, this is why I love warranties.
Old 09-23-2020, 10:13 PM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
https://www.wsj.com/articles/califor...35-11600882738

California to Ban Sales of New Gas-Powered Cars Starting in 2035

Sept. 23, 2020

California Gov. Gavin Newsom signed an order Wednesday that aims to end the sale of new gasoline and diesel-powered passenger cars in the state by 2035.

It is an ambitious attempt to bolster electric vehicles in the largest car market in the U.S., as well as a bid to tackle emissions that cause climate change. Transportation is responsible for more than half of carbon pollution in California, the governor said.

More than 11% of all light vehicles in the U.S. last year were registered in California, according to IHS Markit.

California is the first state in the nation to commit to such a goal, but could serve as a spark for other left-leaning states to follow, given its size and historic leadership on regulatory issues. Internationally, 15 other nations have committed to phasing out gas-powered cars according to Mr. Newsom, including Canada, the U.K. and France.

The goal is an ambitious one, given the relatively small size of the electric car market currently. Through July, 6.2% of light vehicles registered in California were electric powered and 1.6% in the entire U.S., according to IHS Markit.

“Of all the simultaneous crises that we face as a state…none is more forceful than the issue of the climate crisis,” Mr. Newsom said while standing in front of several electric cars. “What we’re advancing here today is a strategy to address that crisis head on, to be as bold as the problem is big.”

The order also says that, “where feasible,” medium and heavy duty vehicles such as trucks and construction equipment should be zero-emission by 2045.

Mr. Newsom has emphasized climate change as a key cause of the historically disastrous fires that have ravaged the state in the past month. Experts have said California has become more susceptible to fast-moving, destructive wildfires due in part to climate change, which causes trees and plants to dry out and become more flammable, as well as overgrown forests and an increase in housing in fire-prone areas.

The announcement spurred immediate criticism from the Trump administration. “This is yet another example of how extreme the left has become,” said White House spokesman Judd Deere. “They want the government to dictate every aspect of every American’s life, and the lengths to which they will go to destroy jobs and raise costs on the consumer is alarming. President Trump won’t stand for it.”

The Trump administration is already waging a legal battle against California over its special authority to regulate tailpipe emissions, established under the Clean Air Act in 1970. The case is currently before a federal appeals court in Washington, D.C.

California’s authority to enforce Mr. Newsom’s new mandate would come from that same part of the law, likely making it highly dependent on the outcome of November’s presidential election, said Bob McNally, a former energy adviser to then-President George W. Bush who is now a private energy consultant.

If Mr. Trump’s nominee to replace Ruth Bader Ginsburg is confirmed and he remains in office, it is likely a conservative majority on the Supreme Court won’t let the California program stand, Mr. McNally said. If Mr. Biden wins, he would likely end the case and reinstate California’s authority, opening the door for other states to adopt the same rules.

In a sign that left-leaning states may follow California’s lead on ending the sale of gas-powered vehicles, Oregon Gov. Kate Brown praised Mr. Newsom’s announcement. “I will do all I can to accelerate electrification here,” the Democrat wrote on Twitter.

John Bozzella, chief executive of the Alliance for Automotive Innovation, a trade group that represents major U.S. and overseas-based auto manufacturers, said his members are committed to expanding their electric-vehicle offerings, but mandates like the one issued by Mr. Newsom aren’t the best way to build a successful market.

“What builds successful markets is widespread stakeholder engagement,” among governments, auto makers, utilities, infrastructure providers and others, Mr. Bozzella said in a statement.

A spokesman for Ford Motor Co. said: “We agree with Gov. Newsom that it is time to take urgent action to address climate change...Progress requires public-private partnerships, smart infrastructure and key resources that encourage consumers to invest in electrified products.”

The order is aimed at new car sales and won’t prohibit Californians from owning or selling existing gas-powered cars, Mr. Newsom said.

Brian Maas, president of the California New Car Dealers Association, said his organization respects Mr. Newsom’s ambitions to combat climate change, but has several concerns, including the need to greatly expand public charging infrastructure and to drive down costs of zero-emission vehicles so they are not only available to the wealthy. He also said that enacting such a sweeping piece of policy through an executive order, without legislative approval, was “deeply troubling and deprives Californians of a direct voice in this important issue.”

The leaders of both houses of California’s Democratic-dominated Legislature said Wednesday they support Mr. Newsom’s executive order. “The Assembly looks forward to working with him to pass the necessary legislation to make this bold step land solidly,” Assembly Speaker Anthony Rendon said in a statement.

The California Air Resources Board, which has been at the center of most of the state’s climate and vehicle emissions policies, will be charged with developing the specific regulations needed to implement the state mandate for passenger cars and trucks.

A shift from petroleum products, such as gasoline and diesel, to electricity will require a new statewide charging infrastructure, and could impact the viability of the state’s thousands of gasoline stations. And it will need to upgrade a grid already in need of significant overhaul. The state’s electricity grid experienced two days of rolling blackouts last month during a heat wave. The state’s largest utilities now routinely shut-off large sections of their aging grids to stop their power lines from sparking wildfires on windy days.

Electric vehicles don’t have any tailpipe emissions of greenhouse gases. However, the electricity used to charge these vehicles can be generated with fossil fuels. California has taken strides in recent years to use more wind, solar, geothermal and other renewable resources. The state adopted a law in 2017 to reduce its greenhouse gas emissions by at least 40% by 2030 and 80% by 2050, from a 1990 benchmark.

This isn’t the first time the state has tried to push electric vehicles. A 1990 mandate required 2% of new cars sold in California by 1998 be zero-emission vehicles. At the time, there were only a couple models available that complied, General Motors ’ EV1 and Honda’s EV Plus. Both cars were small and had limited ranges. The mandate was unsuccessful.

“What’s different this time is technology and product availability,” said Michael Wara, director of the Climate and Energy Policy Program at Stanford University’s Woods Institute. “There are products on the market that people want to buy.” Tesla’s Model 3 is one of the bestselling passenger cars in California and several car companies have released new electric models.

Mr. Newsom signed the executive order on the hood of an electric Ford Mustang Mach-E, which is expected to be available for sale later in 2020 or early 2021.

Bans on sales of new internal combustion engines have been spreading across Europe over the past couple of years. The first was in Norway, which in 2017 enacted a target that all new passenger cars and light vans have no carbon emissions beginning in 2025. Several other European countries followed, including France that has a 2040 goal for ending sales of fossil-fuel powered vehicles.

The U.K. set a 2040 goal to eliminate internal combustion engines as well as hybrids, but earlier this year moved that up by five year to 2035. Canada has also passed a target of 100% electric vehicles by 2040, according to the International Council on Clean Transportation, a nonprofit that supports decarbonizing fuels.

Drew Kodjak, executive director of the group, said Mr. Newsom’s order went a step beyond what has come out of Europe because it includes trucks and construction vehicles.

“No other country in the world has been setting dates for heavy duty trucks and every piece of on-road combustion equipment,” he said. “This is ambitious”
The following 2 users liked this post by AZuser:
civicdrivr (09-24-2020), nist7 (09-24-2020)
Old 09-24-2020, 08:50 AM

Doesn't specify that they'll ban registrations. What's to stop consumers from driving to Nevada, Oregon, etc & buying their ICE car there & bringing it home?
Looks like there will be quite the 'grey' market when this takes effect. Could see a business model to buy/register outside of California, then sell to CA resident as a 'used' car.
Old 09-24-2020, 10:13 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Yeah, CA's power grid is totally equipped to handle all this increased load. PG&E can unequivocally be trusted to properly manage the increased demand.

https://www.businessinsider.com/pge-...s-2019-10?op=1

What the fuck is Newsom thinking? This is a common trend of CA legislators - good intentions, sphincter-choking-circulation-to-brain decisions. That's okay though, they'll just jack up the pricing on gas and registration fees even though we're already among the most expensive in the nation. If the product is good enough to stand on it's own, a ban of competing products isn't really necessary.

also, in before Comfy & Stunna.
The following 3 users liked this post by Costco:
Hockeyman (10-01-2020), mrmako (10-01-2020), RPhilMan1 (09-25-2020)
Old 09-24-2020, 11:17 AM

Part of why my in-laws relocated to TX.
After my father-in-law retired, the much lower cost of living (and being closer to us/grandkids) got them out of CA.
The following 2 users liked this post by 00TL-P3.2:
Costco (09-24-2020), mrmako (09-24-2020)
Old 09-24-2020, 12:01 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Originally Posted by 00TL-P3.2
Part of why my in-laws relocated to TX.
After my father-in-law retired, the much lower cost of living (and being closer to us/grandkids) got them out of CA.
My situation is like the inverse. I have considered TX, along with a few other places.

Family, friends, and job are what’s keeping me here.
Old 09-24-2020, 12:53 PM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
My main concern is also the power grid. They have the next 14 years to fix it.

While 2035 is an aggressive goal, it doesn't mean it cannot be revised later. It's not bad to set goals.

I think a goal of limiting new vehicle sales to only hybrids and EV's by 2035 or 2030 is more realistic. Then limit new vehicle sales to only EV's 10 years later which would mean 2040 or 2045.
Old 09-24-2020, 08:37 PM
Someday, an RS6 Avant+

Received 990 Likes on 532 Posts
So, I may be a simpleton (my day job has to do with satellites), but in 2035 what in the hell is going to produce power in that state once the sun goes down? Wind? Buy from other states?
CA is absolutely fucked. Beautiful places in some areas, but what a (insert political pejorative). And taxed to the hilt. It's a wonder anyone is still there.
Old 09-25-2020, 08:02 AM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,485 Likes on 1,049 Posts
Listen to the Kendrick Lamar song called "The Recipe". He summarizes the draw of California quite well, despite what we might think about its taxes or politics.
Old 10-01-2020, 04:17 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
Interesting #s.... I am shocked that a decade old GTR is selling more than the NSX...

and I expected Supra to sell way more than the Z4...

https://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2020-u...sales-figures/
Old 10-01-2020, 05:46 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,485 Likes on 1,049 Posts
Jesus fucking Christ... three NSXs were sold nationwide in August!?
Old 10-01-2020, 05:57 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
I think for the very first time that Alfa Romeo 4C outsold someone
mrmako (10-01-2020)
Old 10-01-2020, 09:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,792 Likes on 13,976 Posts
Yes...and BoostedJack bought all 3.
Old 10-02-2020, 09:10 AM
Ex-OEM King

Sales of things like sports cars are going to be down since the economy is down. Not really a surprise.
Old 10-02-2020, 09:54 AM
GEEZER

Received 2,214 Likes on 1,418 Posts
Originally Posted by Costco
My situation is like the inverse. I have considered TX, along with a few other places.

Family, friends, and job are what’s keeping me here.
I left Cali in 85. One of my better decisions if I do say so myself.
Old 10-02-2020, 10:03 AM
Turd Polisher

Originally Posted by 1killercls
I left Cali in 85. One of my better decisions if I do say so myself.
I'm open to leaving CA .. but the only thing is we have no real support system anywhere else now that we have a little one.

Smog regulations alone are enough for me to leave
1killercls (10-02-2020)
Old 10-02-2020, 10:05 AM

At what point in CA is a vehicle exempt from smog, or are they ever?

I remember getting the CA DMV bill after we registered my wife's Civic here in TX. $465 for registration
Old 10-02-2020, 10:11 AM
Turd Polisher

Originally Posted by 00TL-P3.2
At what point in CA is a vehicle exempt from smog, or are they ever?

I remember getting the CA DMV bill after we registered my wife's Civic here in TX. $465 for registration
From their site,

Your vehicle does not need a smog inspection if your:
  • Gasoline-powered vehicle is a 1975 year model or older (This includes motorcycles and trailers.)
  • Diesel-powered vehicle is a 1997 and older year model OR with a Gross Vehicle Weight of more than 14,000 pounds.