Is 2016 Infiniti Q50 be a TLX killer?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2016, 12:18 AM
The Third Ball

Received 4,970 Likes on 2,646 Posts
Put this stupid shit back in the TLX forum where it belongs.
Old 03-12-2016, 10:02 AM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by NopeNope4425

I take it, the 6 speed of your current RLX is getting along better than the 9 speed of your previous TLX? Good to know.
6 speed? Since when? I'm pretty sure current RLXs don't use a 6 speed auto.
Old 03-12-2016, 10:12 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
I go out for a while & you copy a ton of copied verbiage, sort of like a politicians paper dump on a Friday night to beat the news cycle.

Maybe in spare parts lingo the term "strut" it's used to refer to any spring/shock tower but it is definitely incorrect.
If you say its incorrect then with out a doubt positivity it must be incorrect. Might be a good plan for you to get a post off to BMW/Infinity/Dodg/MB that they need to immediately under decree by saturno correct the errors in their parts books, engineering drawings, assembly manuals & inventory controls because there are all incorrect.

5' F10 M5 Strut, front, EDC/mounting parts
Select another car > Front Axle > Front axle suspension
FRONT RIGHT SPRING STRUT 1 31312284046
LEFT FRONT SPRING STRUT 1 31312284045

Looks like someone is unhappy with me because I no longer have permission to post pictures, so we can do this the hard way.. I guess I better watch out for the Black Helicopters next. Might start to develop a conspiracy theory.

This page from the BMW parts book has a drawing of the misnamed strut on a M5
RealOEM.com - Online BMW Parts Catalog

This page from the BMW parts book has a drawing of the upper wishbone & the lower one, part #11, which is actually not a wishbone shape but a straight rod.

The inverted U shaped flange on the bottom of the strut bolts to this part where it becomes an integral part of the suspension supporting the weight of the car. In the old style DWB suspension the shock can be removed with no effort because it does not support the weight of the car the spring alone does.

Now on to the Q 60S. With all your cutting & pasting you have missed one of the big differences between a shock & a Strut. When it comes to alignment a shock is passive & has nothing to do with it. One of the nice offerings for the Q60S front STRUTS is a strut mount bearing.

Infiniti Q60S Coupe 2015, Mount Components by KYB®. 2 per Vehicle. When replacing struts, it's also a great idea to replace strut mounts too. They optimize suspension performance by providing a smooth steering response. On front struts, the mount includes a bearing that acts as a pivot for the steering mechanism, providing a smooth steering response. Enables accurate wheel alignment$30.69 - $31.95 more details on - http://www.carid.com/2015-infiniti-q60-shocks-struts.

Dodge uses the same system on the Hell Cat (et all) picture was previously shown by you with the white arrow pointing to the strut & MB picture shown by me.

As for the Cobra that I built I am shocked to learn from you that my Koni Coil Overs are not struts. Think you telling me that my Coil Over is not a strut says a lot about your reading comprehension or lack there of.

KEVIN SAID
I built the Cobra suspension with fabricated double A arms (another form of wishbone that give way more adjustability) and Coil Overs. For a home builder they are easier to manage, set-up & have less chassis structural requirements than Struts. So they do have their place.

But Thanks anyway for telling me that coil overs are different than struts. You forgot to note that my A-arms are also different. Yours are fixed slabs of metal. Mine are fully adjustable for toe, camber & castor.

Now back to the original point how does a number of mechanical items on the Q60S most of with are inferior to the same items on a $29,000 MSRP R-Spec justify any part of a higher price?
Old 03-12-2016, 10:44 AM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by youngTL

Old 03-12-2016, 01:35 PM
Banned

Received 198 Likes on 147 Posts
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
I go out for a while & you copy a ton of copied verbiage, sort of like a politicians paper dump on a Friday night to beat the news cycle.

If you say its incorrect then with out a doubt positivity it must be incorrect. Might be a good plan for you to get a post off to BMW/Infinity/Dodg/MB that they need to immediately under decree by saturno correct the errors in their parts books, engineering drawings, assembly manuals & inventory controls because there are all incorrect.

5' F10 M5 Strut, front, EDC/mounting parts
Select another car > Front Axle > Front axle suspension
FRONT RIGHT SPRING STRUT 1 31312284046
LEFT FRONT SPRING STRUT 1 31312284045

Looks like someone is unhappy with me because I no longer have permission to post pictures, so we can do this the hard way.. I guess I better watch out for the Black Helicopters next. Might start to develop a conspiracy theory.

This page from the BMW parts book has a drawing of the misnamed strut on a M5

This page from the BMW parts book has a drawing of the upper wishbone & the lower one, part #11, which is actually not a wishbone shape but a straight rod.

The inverted U shaped flange on the bottom of the strut bolts to this part where it becomes an integral part of the suspension supporting the weight of the car. In the old style DWB suspension the shock can be removed with no effort because it does not support the weight of the car the spring alone does.

Now on to the Q 60S. With all your cutting & pasting you have missed one of the big differences between a shock & a Strut. When it comes to alignment a shock is passive & has nothing to do with it. One of the nice offerings for the Q60S front STRUTS is a strut mount bearing.

Infiniti Q60S Coupe 2015, Mount Components by KYB®. 2 per Vehicle. When replacing struts, it's also a great idea to replace strut mounts too. They optimize suspension performance by providing a smooth steering response. On front struts, the mount includes a bearing that acts as a pivot for the steering mechanism, providing a smooth steering response. Enables accurate wheel alignment$30.69 - $31.95 more details on - http://www.carid.com/2015-infiniti-q60-shocks-struts.

Dodge uses the same system on the Hell Cat (et all) picture was previously shown by you with the white arrow pointing to the strut & MB picture shown by me.

As for the Cobra that I built I am shocked to learn from you that my Koni Coil Overs are not struts. Think you telling me that my Coil Over is not a strut says a lot about your reading comprehension or lack there of.

KEVIN SAID

But Thanks anyway for telling me that coil overs are different than struts. You forgot to note that my A-arms are also different. Yours are fixed slabs of metal. Mine are fully adjustable for toe, camber & castor.

Now back to the original point how does a number of mechanical items on the Q60S most of with are inferior to the same items on a $29,000 MSRP R-Spec justify any part of a higher price?

.....and you keep not understanding the difference between a strut and a strut-type suspension.....a MacPherson is a strut-type suspension, a DWB is not.....the spring and shock coaxial arrangement and their mounting brackets may be called struts and/or arranged as struts but, in the case of a DWB, not used in a strut-type suspension.....as usual, when you lose a debate you try to dance around words and definitions..and introduce tangential elements like geometry adjustment which are not part of the debate.....should we remember again what was the debate?? You called DWB "old and out of fashion" suspension scheme which is a bran fart to say the least....you tried to be polemic for the sake of being polemic and you got caught with your pants down and cannot get away with it....

Furthermore, there is nothing "new" about strut arrangement for the elastic and damping element of a DWB suspension......when the elastic element is a spring and not a torsion bar or a leaf spring, in touring cars almost always has been used in a coaxial arrangement with a shock or a "strut".

For example this is a 1967 Fiat 125 Sedan with a DWB front suspension and spring and shock mounted in a strut arrangement....that suspension dates back to the Fiat 1300 of 1961....old enough for you??

Now, for your own understanding, learn the difference between a strut-type suspension and a suspension that may use a strut arrangement for its elastic and daming element

What is the difference between "shocks" and "strut," and what is a "damper" and a "coilover?"

Link: https://www.heeltoeauto.com/tech-art...-coilover.html

A snippet from that article:

The simplest way to think of it is that if you were to take the shock out of a car, the wheel would still keep the same geometry and alignment as with it in, because the hub carrier is not located by the shock. It is located with arms. There can be two, three, or even five arms holding the hub carrier in place. But the shock is not one of the things doing that job. It doesn't move other than to compress and rebound over bumps. The mounts are rigid and the only compliance from bushings is there to provide comfort.

By contrast, if you were to take the strut assembly out of the WRX in that pic above, the hub carrier would not be located. It would flop around and not be able to hold a wheel straight. The strut serves as both the damper AND a suspension member. It turns with the steering, so there is usually a bearing in the upper mount to allow it to spin to allow that movement.

Got it Kevin??? I hope so.
Old 03-12-2016, 05:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by saturno_v
Got it Kevin??? I hope so.
Yep got it.

saturno said:

Maybe in spare parts lingo the term "strut" it's used to refer to any spring/shock tower but it is definitely incorrect.
Happy that you now agree that BMW et all are correct in their listing of a strut as a strut & its no longer definitely "incorrect spare parts lingo". Expect they are relieved that they have been spared the expense of rewriting all those manuals, parts listings & inventory control code, since you have accepted the word STRUT.

It would have been even more onerous for smaller after market parts supplies having to do all their magazine adds & packaging like a relabeling of the Dodge Hell Cat Strut Tower Brace to "cute engine compartment decoration with no useable function".

Now back to the meat of your extremely large body of cut & paste misdirection work.

How do you justify your statement that a part (big/little) your call since you listed them in detail, a series of parts, the larger & more important ones, that are inferior to those in a $29,000 coupe, contribute to the Infiniti to costing more?
Old 03-12-2016, 07:18 PM
Banned

Received 198 Likes on 147 Posts
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Yep got it.

relabeling of the Dodge Hell Cat Strut Tower Brace to "cute engine compartment decoration with no useable function".
The brace element is definitely not for "decoration" but to add rigidity....do not try to be cute...

Now back to the meat of your extremely large body of cut & paste misdirection work.
My "cut and paste misdirection work" helped you understanding the difference between a strut-type suspension and a DWB...so it worked...eventually...

How do you justify your statement that a part (big/little) your call since you listed them in detail, a series of parts, the larger & more important ones, that are inferior to those in a $29,000 coupe, contribute to the Infiniti to costing more?
Already mentioned....Genesis Coupe - Q60 price gap = part brand and market positioning, part more sophisticated gears/hardware, part R&D costs, part better fit and finish and quality of materials....is not rocket science Kevin...the final question: Is the price gap totally justified by objective, measurable superior characteristic?? Obviously not
Old 03-13-2016, 06:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by youngTL
The FWD versions do: 6-speed automatic transmission with Sequential SportShift paddle shifters and Grade Logic Control.

The SH-AWD sports a 7 speed DCT
Old 03-14-2016, 04:02 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
meh

but let's just say when Infiniti designed their cars, their benchmark was NEVER Acura.
So whether if the Q50/60 is a TLX killer is irreverent.
Old 03-18-2016, 11:48 PM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Stew4HD
The FWD versions do: 6-speed automatic transmission with Sequential SportShift paddle shifters and Grade Logic Control.

The SH-AWD sports a 7 speed DCT
Oh, I was confused because Acura doesn't sell the FWD version here.