* Official Jeep Thread *

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 02:31 PM
I'm here in spirit...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by o2cls
we'll see...I'd like to find a Rubi, but its so much cheaper to make you own, I just like the wheels on 'em. That and I dont think you could find a 05 Rubi with 9,000 miles for 18 grand.
For what you get, the Rubi's are too pricey IMO. Like you said, you could build your own for much cheaper. You can also find a set of Moab wheels with the stock Goodyears on ebay fairly reasonable. I've searched 'em. The only thing I didn't like about the Moab wheels were the fact that they are 16" so your tire selection is much more limited than that of a 15" wheel. No biggie if you are gonna stick with one size but for me, I may end up going , bigger and bigger, and bigger from here on out. That being the case, I'll stick with the 15's.

And yeah you're right, finding a Rubi with 9k @ $18k would be pretty much impossible.
Old 10-31-2006, 02:57 PM
'08 MX5 GT 6spd.

Received 1,192 Likes on 485 Posts
Got one for ya....Whats the diff between the trims. SE, X, and Sport....?
Old 10-31-2006, 03:11 PM
I'm here in spirit...

Don't quote me for sure but I believe the trim levels go as follows...

SE (has I-4cyl, bare to the bones model, vinyl, etc.)
X (setps up to 4.0L 6cyl, no vinyl)
Sport (I think this is where more options such as full doors come into play)
Rubicon (no comment...)

I looked at a couple of used X's that didn't have a/c also. Something to consider even though if you're anything like me, in the summer, the top would come off and it would likely never get used.

EDIT: Also, all of them seemed to come with a 6spd when I was at the stealership looking and driving...
Old 10-31-2006, 03:19 PM
I'm here in spirit...

Although it's not a Jeep per say, I love this new Nitro...

Old 10-31-2006, 03:21 PM
'08 MX5 GT 6spd.

I would prolly want full doors just to reduce the cold in the winter and road noise. AS far as the A/C goes, I would prefer it.
Old 10-31-2006, 03:34 PM
'08 MX5 GT 6spd.

I saw a Nitro last night at the dealership. I actually thought I was like a new Liberty ro somthing. It looks ok. It still has that generic Chysler look to it. they had some new Wranglers also, I dont think I like 'em. The fenders are to big, and the inside is to refined. It doesnt look like a jeep anymore....Im sure it will grow on me. I didnt like the circle headlights when they came back either.
Old 10-31-2006, 03:37 PM
I'm here in spirit...

I saw a Nitro last night at the dealership. I actually thought I was like a new Liberty ro somthing. It looks ok. It still has that generic Chysler look to it. they had some new Wranglers also, I dont think I like 'em. The fenders are to big, and the inside is to refined. It doesnt look like a jeep anymore....Im sure it will grow on me. I didnt like the circle headlights when they came back either.
I felt the same way about the round headlights when they came out. however, I have to admit, I like the new Wrangler. I like the 4-door idea too.

Also, I believe the Nitro is based off of a 3" or 4" extended Liberty platform.
Old 10-31-2006, 03:43 PM
'08 MX5 GT 6spd.

My mom has a Limited Liberty, its ok. IT could use 20 more hp, but that goes without being said. I took it camping last weekend, it holds its own. We've taken it to Colorado a couple of times it does well. It pretty well equipt to. I like it, I just wouldnt own one.
Old 10-31-2006, 03:49 PM
I'm here in spirit...

My mom has a Limited Liberty, its ok. IT could use 20 more hp, but that goes without being said. I took it camping last weekend, it holds its own. We've taken it to Colorado a couple of times it does well. It pretty well equipt to. I like it, I just wouldnt own one.
My roommate has a 4x2 Libby. I drove it for a while after I sold the CL before I bought the XJ. Took some getting used to but I liked it. I keep seeing mildly lifted ones around and I'm kinda liking 'em. I'm feeling you on the 20 more ponies. Thats what Jeep gets for dropping the 4.0L.

Last edited by Lord Helmet; 10-31-2006 at 03:51 PM.
Old 10-31-2006, 03:56 PM
'08 MX5 GT 6spd.

Yea, 3.7 doesnt cut it. If the Lib had the straight 6 it would be nothing short of incredible. Short wheelbase, quite a bit of room, power. Which brings me to my next point.

They should not have discontinued the Cherokee. It is literally Classic!! Think of how refined it would be in '07. I guess its refined new shape is the Liberty. All in all its a pretty cool ride. Ill snap some pics of it sometime. Its a Patriot Blue, 4x2 with creme leather and those 17" chromies!
Old 10-31-2006, 04:01 PM
I'm here in spirit...

Yea, 3.7 doesnt cut it. If the Lib had the straight 6 it would be nothing short of incredible. Short wheelbase, quite a bit of room, power. Which brings me to my next point.

They should not have discontinued the Cherokee. It is literally Classic!! Think of how refined it would be in '07. I guess its
Couldn't agree more. My only other disapointment in the Libby is the lack of a solid front axle. Otherwise, it gets my vote.

Also, when I was looking for the XJ, so many dealers were telling me how hard they are to come by in great shape. Seems I may have myself one saught after vehicle in a few years.
Old 10-31-2006, 04:26 PM
'08 MX5 GT 6spd.

You will, esp. the Classic. Somthing about it just looks great. I guess its just the painted grill. I love the Cherokee....I love Jeeps, I dont know what it is dudes. Its always been an icon to me, I think the Colorado thing did it to me. I mean, you go up there every year to Ouray, Telluride and Silverton and it just starts to stick with you. Its a lifestyle that i've somewhat adopted even though I live 1,000 miles away.
Old 11-01-2006, 12:36 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
we'll see...I'd like to find a Rubi, but its so much cheaper to make you own, I just like the wheels on 'em. That and I dont think you could find a 05 Rubi with 9,000 miles for 18 grand.
I actually have a set of rubi wheels. Just the rims. they arnt mint but they are rubi wheels....

Buy a jeep
Buy my old rims
???????????????
enjoy jeep with rims?
Old 11-01-2006, 02:20 PM
I'm here in spirit...

^^^

I'm gonna park this new HID link I just found right here for safe keeping...

http://cqlight.ca/product_info.php?c...products_id=86
Old 11-01-2006, 02:36 PM
'08 MX5 GT 6spd.

the only thing that worries me about sticking HID lights in a headlight that isnt meant for them is the projected light output. I personally think if the housing isnt shaped right for the bulb you would be maybe sacrificing some light output + attracting unwanted attention from cops.
Old 11-01-2006, 02:38 PM
I'm here in spirit...

the only thing that worries me about sticking HID lights in a headlight that isnt meant for them is the projected light output. I personally think if the housing isnt shaped right for the bulb you would be maybe sacrificing some light output + attracting unwanted attention from cops.
You're right. However, I have found another site (I have the link on my lappytop) that sells a housing for them.

I will tell you this... There's no way the light output will get any worse than it is, lol.
Old 11-01-2006, 02:49 PM
'08 MX5 GT 6spd.

yes, your right, it wont get any worse. Theres a silver Rubi roll'n around Mansfield with the sealed beam HID's from bright headlights...they look like the Ac's. (you know how only the top half of the light is lit up.) They arent bi-xenon but who cares. The look very stock, and at night the light output looks excellent. Im wandering if they would be the same for your application.?????
Old 11-01-2006, 02:55 PM
I'm here in spirit...

yes, your right, it wont get any worse. Theres a silver Rubi roll'n around Mansfield with the sealed beam HID's from bright headlights...they look like the Ac's. (you know how only the top half of the light is lit up.) They arent bi-xenon but who cares. The look very stock, and at night the light output looks excellent. Im wandering if they would be the same for your application.?????
but there is a bi-zenon application. I believe thats the link I posted above for "safe keeping".

Originally Posted by cglight
The Xenon bulbs in the bi-xenon kit stay fixed and there is a shield that covers and uncovers the capsule of the xenon bulb as you switch from low to high beam, thus changing the beam pattern. The high beam gives an upward projection and the low beam gives a forward projection. You will maintain the same beam pattern with dramatic increase in intensity and distance.

Last edited by Lord Helmet; 11-01-2006 at 02:57 PM.
Old 11-01-2006, 03:05 PM
'08 MX5 GT 6spd.

, that is somthing i would def have to get. Ive found aftermarket seat heaters and or competely new seats with the heaters built in, and an aftermarket rear view with homelink and thermometer.

Im trying to look for all of the convienance items i like in my current car. Tons of stuff out there!!

Any of you know how far you can go with the audio dept?? I have to have a good sounding stereo to function properly
Old 11-01-2006, 03:41 PM
I'm here in spirit...

Any of you know how far you can go with the audio dept?? I have to have a good sounding stereo to function properly
Don't you have a pretty nice setup in the CL right now? All I did was add my little sub, amp, the XM tuner, and a new set of Infinity coaxials to the rear. It came with a pretty nice Pioneer h/u and a set of Infinitiys already installed.

Here's my dinky lookin' little sub... And me, ha.

Believe it or not, that sub sounds fantastic in this Jeep. It feakin' pounds, sometimes WAY more than I want it to. This is coming from a guy who used to run around with two 12's in his trunk. For some reason this little 8" sounds a million times better in the Jeep than it ever did in the CL.

And my h/u (I think this pic is in this thread on another page too).

I'd like to turn the quater panel into an enclosure at some point so I can keep my floor space for gear. I'll probably relocate the spare as well. My friend and I have discussed doing something like this (pic also on previous page)...

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=273634

EDIT: The only other thing I'd like to do is run the speakers thru a 4-channel amp for a bit more clarity. There's tons of room under my rear seat for that.
Old 11-01-2006, 04:11 PM
'08 MX5 GT 6spd.

Ive got a Kewood DDX8017 all new Polk speakers inside and a 10" L7 with a Fosgate BD501 (600watts)....It sounds great...

The TV wont fit in the Jeep, its a double din unit. Im pretty sure I could swap out for one that would fit in the dash. I like the idea of navi and movies, I use mine a lot.

The L7 will go. Its to bassy and requires to much space for a good sound.

The speakers will stay in the car and Ill start over.

So pretty much everything will go except the amp.

Ill have to look into it somemore when I get home this evening. I need to see whats available to add. I know space would be very limited. How good can you make the stock speakers, sound bar, and sub sound, i guess thats the ultimate question..
Old 11-01-2006, 04:38 PM
I'm here in spirit...

How good can you make the stock speakers, sound bar, and sub sound, i guess thats the ultimate question..
Thats hard to say. I've never heard them.
Old 11-01-2006, 10:31 PM
'08 MX5 GT 6spd.

I think you could build a pretty sweet set up of subs. Get maybe 2 8's or possible 2 10's. I sketched up an idea.

You could put either a quick disconnect to move it when necessary or have the subs downfire, the amp underneath and the ports on the front to let it have a stackable shelf.

Stock.

Not.
Old 11-02-2006, 12:24 AM
'08 MX5 GT 6spd.

http://www.brightheadlights-hid.com/hid-upcoming.htm

bi-xenon sealed beam
Old 11-02-2006, 06:05 AM
Instructor

o2cls - I'm not near a TJ right now but i dont think there is 8 inches back there.

The best bet is normally a forward firing sealed box with a 10 in it. It takes up about half of the space back there. If you're a wheeler then you'll want to make sure that your amps are mounted in a shock resistant manor...
Old 11-02-2006, 06:11 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Lord Helmet
Don't quote me for sure but I believe the trim levels go as follows...

SE (has I-4cyl, bare to the bones model, vinyl, etc.)
X (setps up to 4.0L 6cyl, no vinyl)
Sport (I think this is where more options such as full doors come into play)
Rubicon (no comment...)

I looked at a couple of used X's that didn't have a/c also. Something to consider even though if you're anything like me, in the summer, the top would come off and it would likely never get used.

EDIT: Also, all of them seemed to come with a 6spd when I was at the stealership looking and driving...
I figure I should add my 2 cents in here. You got the trim levels right but I kinda want to share the rubicon specs.

If you want a 31-33" tire jeep wrangler with good stock capabilities and retain your warranty a rubicon is 100% the way to go.
From the factory:
4:1 T-case- great for rocks. hi range for mud. yer all set
44's- Not true true 44's but they are semi float rear, 31?33? splined shafts. True air lockers. With a simple ground mod they will work in hi range.
tires. - mtrs. I personally loved them when I had them but they are pricey. I actually had a take off set from a rubicon.

Now say you've got the bug. You wanna wheel. Personally heres how I'd do it.
98-99 TJ.
waggy 44's with the normal goodies
clayton long arms/suspension
flat bellyed
caged
done.
under 20K
Old 11-02-2006, 07:26 AM
'08 MX5 GT 6spd.

Originally Posted by deke
o2cls - I'm not near a TJ right now but i dont think there is 8 inches back there.

The best bet is normally a forward firing sealed box with a 10 in it. It takes up about half of the space back there. If you're a wheeler then you'll want to make sure that your amps are mounted in a shock resistant manor...

yea.....good call.
Old 11-02-2006, 07:28 AM
'08 MX5 GT 6spd.

Originally Posted by deke
I figure I should add my 2 cents in here. You got the trim levels right but I kinda want to share the rubicon specs.

If you want a 31-33" tire jeep wrangler with good stock capabilities and retain your warranty a rubicon is 100% the way to go.
From the factory:
4:1 T-case- great for rocks. hi range for mud. yer all set
44's- Not true true 44's but they are semi float rear, 31?33? splined shafts. True air lockers. With a simple ground mod they will work in hi range.
tires. - mtrs. I personally loved them when I had them but they are pricey. I actually had a take off set from a rubicon.

Now say you've got the bug. You wanna wheel. Personally heres how I'd do it.
98-99 TJ.
waggy 44's with the normal goodies
clayton long arms/suspension
flat bellyed
caged
done.
under 20K
dont get me wrong, If I found a Rubi for a good price it would be mine BUT, I cant justify spending 20 for a jeep with 30-40k miles on it when I can get a Sport/X with 5000k miles for 16-18K. I think a lot of times people buy them and then realize they arent the right thing for them, which is good for people like us.
Old 11-02-2006, 07:55 AM
I now drive an accord....

Lord Helmet and o2cls should just get a private chat going

J/K
Old 11-02-2006, 08:23 AM
I'm here in spirit...

Originally Posted by spdy0001
Lord Helmet and o2cls should just get a private chat going

J/K
But then my box would be full and you wouldn't get to make your appearance.

J, your TJ box idea sounds cool but I'm kinda with deke, it would be real tight. I think you'd be better off with the sound bar (which usually sounds pretty decent) and a center console sub. My friend had one and it sounded pretty good. It didn't "slam" or "pound" real hard but in all fairness, it sounded good.

deke, thanks for the Rubicon info. Definitely much appreciated. Keep it coming!
Old 11-02-2006, 09:57 AM
'08 MX5 GT 6spd.

I wish the unlimited's didnt look so wierd, that would solve some probs.
Old 11-02-2006, 10:06 AM
I'm here in spirit...

<--- Loves the Unlimited.
Old 11-02-2006, 11:56 AM
'08 MX5 GT 6spd.

Ive seen a couple of lifted ones around here that do look pretty good. I guess they look wierd in pics. The extra space and (most likely) less twitchy characteristics are probably worth it.
Old 11-02-2006, 01:41 PM
Instructor

dont get me wrong, If I found a Rubi for a good price it would be mine BUT, I cant justify spending 20 for a jeep with 30-40k miles on it when I can get a Sport/X with 5000k miles for 16-18K. I think a lot of times people buy them and then realize they arent the right thing for them, which is good for people like us.
Heres the thing. the drivetrain in the jeeps with the 4.0 is just getting broken in around 150K.

There are plenty of the same units on the road with 200-300-400K without rebuilds.
Old 11-02-2006, 04:33 PM
'08 MX5 GT 6spd.

I just did a random search on auto trader. I searched unlimited distance, under 40k miles, under 19,000, and narrowed to Rubicon and got 243 matches. Thats a pretty positive outcome!!

I think if you can find exactly what you want, its worth it to drive the distance!
Old 11-02-2006, 04:58 PM
I'm here in spirit...

I think if you can find exactly what you want, its worth it to drive the distance!

Old 11-03-2006, 11:09 AM
I'm here in spirit...

J, I think you should just get a WJ. I saw this one this morning and aside from the hatch damage, it was pretty bad ass. It had to have had at least 4" of lift.

Old 11-04-2006, 06:25 PM
Yeehaw

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts

Its not really much cheaper to 'make your own' rubi, unless you are doing all of the work yourself. I priced it out once... upgrading an X to a Rubi came to within $1,000 of the price of a Rubi if you are paying for the labor. Rubicons are a good buy, and I'd get one if I had it to do over.
Old 11-04-2006, 06:32 PM
Yeehaw

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
Oh yeah, took a trip up to Sedona a couple days ago... not really 'Jeep' pictures, but northern AZ is quite a place... http://web.mac.com/mattpegan/iWeb/Site/Sedona.html
Old 11-04-2006, 11:09 PM
'08 MX5 GT 6spd.

great pics beet! I wish I could get out more.

Quick Reply: * Official Jeep Thread *