Toyota: 86 News

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 11:41 AM
Lone Wolf

Received 498 Likes on 399 Posts
Originally Posted by civicdrivr
True. But even when I drove my brothers new (at the time) blue '08 Accord coupe off the lot (which was the first blue 6MT in the state IIRC), I didn't get that much attention. There were a few looks, but nothing like the FR-S.

And believe me, I still love the CL. Its not going anywhere. But Im not modding it anymore. Im just going to rack up the miles and maintain it. But hopping in it right after the FR-S is very weird. Im sure youre used to it now with your racing seats, but sitting on the CLs seats felt like a soft park bench compared to the FR-S' highly bolstered seats.

Sell me your engine and headers, not like you need it anymore. sorry, off-topic.
The following users liked this post:
civicdrivr (05-17-2012)
Old 05-17-2012, 11:46 AM
JnC
Former Sponsor

Received 351 Likes on 227 Posts
BTW from the looks of it, the projector seems to be single beam hence it most likely is 2.5".

The BRZ headlights seem to have bi-xenons as there is no halogen reflector for the hi beam.
civicdrivr (05-17-2012)
Old 05-17-2012, 11:52 AM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,397 Likes on 4,941 Posts
Originally Posted by brian6speed
Sell me your engine and headers, not like you need it anymore. sorry, off-topic.
Im not getting rid of the CL or its engine any time soon. I still need my VTECs

Originally Posted by JnC
BTW from the looks of it, the projector seems to be single beam hence it most likely is 2.5".

The BRZ headlights seem to have bi-xenons as there is no halogen reflector for the hi beam.
Good point on the sizing. Id like to go with bi-x for the extra light, but Im not sure.

And yea, the BRZ/JDM&EDM 86 have bi-x.
Old 05-17-2012, 12:38 PM
Baller of Uni

Received 511 Likes on 396 Posts
Morgan I figured out how to make it faster than the CL...

http://www.speedhunters.com/2012/05/...harges-the-86/

Dew it.

Oh and
civicdrivr (05-17-2012)
Old 05-17-2012, 01:01 PM

Received 9,507 Likes on 6,176 Posts
Hey Tyler, that shit was posted on the last page. GTFO with that ugly spoiler

Morgan congrats once again!
civicdrivr (05-17-2012)
Old 05-17-2012, 01:06 PM
Baller of Uni

Originally Posted by CLtotheTL32
Hey Tyler, that shit was posted on the last page. GTFO with that ugly spoiler

Morgan congrats once again!
Did you finally wake up bum? Also I was too busy reading the fun of "did he get it"

In the words of Mr. Jeremy Clarkson: "POWAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!"

Last edited by CLassy02; 05-17-2012 at 01:08 PM.
civicdrivr (05-17-2012)
Old 05-17-2012, 01:15 PM

Build thread here:

https://acurazine.com/forums/car-talk-5/civicdrivrs-golfcart-z8-5-thread-857556/
Old 05-17-2012, 01:20 PM
Lone Wolf

Received 498 Likes on 399 Posts
The wing is hot and functional.
Old 05-17-2012, 03:09 PM
Baller of Uni

http://www.speedhunters.com/2012/05/...the-toyota-86/

Another SH article about the GT86.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:56 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by hANDYcaptd
Finally!! Congrats! That color is gorgeous.
+1 love that color.
civicdrivr (05-18-2012)
Old 05-17-2012, 08:05 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 574 Likes on 409 Posts
my fiancee approved this car and that color
Old 06-27-2012, 12:15 PM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,792 Likes on 2,556 Posts
Toyota to show 315-horsepower GT86, GT86 TRD at Goodwood

By Paul Rachwal
Wednesday, Jun 27th, 2012 @ 11:12 am

Toyota will bring two special GT86 (the third variant of the Scion FR-S and Subaru BRZ available in North America) coupes to the Goodwood Festival of Speed this weekend. These include the 315-horspower GRMN Sports FR Concept and the GT86 TRD.

The former is perhaps more interesting, as it gets a 115-horsepower bump by way of both a turbo and supercharger, AutoCar revealed. Built by tuner and race team Gazoo Racing, it also more than doubles the standard car’s 151lb-ft of torque to 311. The car is street-legal, but its modifications are meant to be used on the track. There is a roll cage inside, along with a harder-edged suspension and beefed-up brakes.

The rolling stock includes 245/40-18 front and 265/35-18 rear tires wrapping larger, 18-inch wheels. The exhaust system is new as well, and the body gets outfitted with a huge rear wing, new front and rear fascias and side moldings.

A special exhaust system has also been fitted by Gazoo Racing, as have new 18-inch alloys wrapped in 245/40 R18 tyres at the front and 265/35 R18s at the rear.

The other model, the GT86 TRD, will be an accessorized version of the car, with Toyota’s U.K. dealers for the first time offering Toyota Racing Development (TRD) upgrades. Again according to AutoCar, the car equipped with all of the TRD accessories and all other available options will likely be limited to just 86 examples and likely cost a monster £40,000 (about $62,400 in the straight conversion), or £15,000 more than the standard GT86.

The add-on TRD pieces include 225/40 R18 Dunlop Sport Maxx tires on unique rims, larger brake discs and calipers, a throatier exhaust, a full body kit, and TRD badges. The engine gets only different oil and air filters, with the added power just pushing the total output to a smidgen over 200 horsepower.

Inside, the manual shifter gets a short-throw kit and there are more TRD badges.

The car will be released in the U.K. sometime in 2013.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/toyota-t...-goodwood.html
Pretty sweet but damn it for not coming to the US and shit is it expensive. TRD part prices are becoming more and more absurd everyday.
The following 2 users liked this post by CCColtsicehockey:
civicdrivr (06-27-2012), ttribe (06-27-2012)
Old 06-27-2012, 02:16 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Old 06-27-2012, 05:12 PM

I want a twin charged setup.
Old 06-28-2012, 02:56 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
From InsideLine...suspension walk-around...

http://blogs.insideline.com/roadtest...alkaround.html

Our 2013 Scion FR-S is destined to have new parts thrown at it during its year with us. This may be the first time it finds itself perched on our Rotary 2-post lift, but it will certainly not be the last.

With that in mind, let's consider this early 2013 Scion FR-S suspension walkaround to be a historical documentation of its pristine "before" state. What sort of starting point did the Toyobaru mash-up give us?

And I suppose it goes without saying that everything we'll see on the following pages applies more-or-less equally to the new 2013 Subaru BRZ. Any suspension tuning differences that exist will be pretty much invisible.

MacPherson struts prop up the front end, which is no surprise considering that's what it says on the spec sheet.

Here the lower control arm (yellow) shows itself to be a simple one-piece steel stamping.

Rear drive machines usually steer from the front because a longitudinal engine placement allows room for the steering shaft to run alongside the engine block. But the FR-S and BRZ steering linkage (black) acts from behind the front axle centerline for reasons that will soon become clear (if you haven't guessed them already.)

Meanwhile, this drop link (yellow) connects the 18mm front stabilizer bar directly to the strut housing for maximum efficiency.

So-called rear-steer is necessary here because the Subaru H-4 boxer engine has a cylinder head (white) blocking the pathway to front-mounted steering.

Also, if you've heard the FR-S or BRZ described as a "front-midengine" car, the person who said so is misinformed. Here you can clearly see that a good chunk of cylinder head sits ahead of the front axle centerline. The engine can't go any farther back because the rear-mounted steering needs a place to live. Besides, even if the motor was far enough back to qualify I despise the term "front-midengine" and consider it so much marketing BS and revisionist history.

Keep the discussion focused on what matters -- weight dsitribution -- and I'll listen. On that front our 2013 Scion FR-S measures 55-percent front/45-percent rear on our own scales.

Meanwhile, efforts to keep weight down and the front end of the car super low have resulted in a forward-facing lower control arm (yellow) and a simple crossmember (green) instead of a full perimeter subframe. A rear-facing structure (orange) braces the crossmember and carries the pivot bushings for the stabilizer bar.

This view shows how an H4 boxer cylinder head (white) acts as an impenetrable barrier that blocks the way for front-acting steering. It also shows how the Scion's rear-mounted steering rack's input shaft (yellow) prevents the engine from being located any farther back.

Meanwhile, the steering rack lacks any hoses, pipes or wires and looks 100-percent manual. Since this car has electronic power steering (EPS) and we don't see any evidence of that here, that can only mean one thing.

And that thing is this: the 2013 Scion FR-S and Subaru BRZ use column-mount EPS. This is the area immpediately under the dash, just above the pedals. It's a pretty small module, which isn't a big surprise, I suppose, because this unit does not overpower the steering overmuch and take away all feel.

Since the steering rack itself is truly manual, I wonder what it would feel like (apart from heavy parking effort) if this were removed and replaced with a straight shaft for zero assist on the track? The number of warning lights that would result on the dash would be truly alarming, I suspect.

No point in trying that experiment, I think, because this steering feels pretty good right out of the box.

A coil-over spring is nothing new where MacPherson struts are concerned. This one differs in that the springs are skinny and concentric with the shock so they can fit in behind the wheel and tire. Typical sedans and crossovers have offset springs with lower springs seats that hover over the top of the tire. That approach allows for higher capacity springs and makes room for the usual transverse engine but demands a tall fender.

Just like the case of the Porsche 911 and Cayman, the use of an inboard strut/spring layout here on the Scion FR-S and Subaru BRZ makes a very low hoodline possible.

Here's something you've never-ever seen on a Scion: the front hub is not connected to a drive axle. I'm not sure if this is a Subaru first, too -- they've been around a lot longer -- but I can't remember a recent example.

On the subject of recovering Subaru purity with an AWD version of the BRZ, forget it. The engine would have to sit several inches higher and farther forward in order to give the drive axles a suitable place to poke out of the transmission, at which point we'd have a Subaru Impreza.

As for the brakes, we can clearly see dual pistons built into the sliding front calipers.

The calipers contain the first of many instances of the word "Subaru" cast or stamped onto the underside of our 2013 Scion FR-S. I can't remember seeing the Scion or Toyota logo anyplace.

Incidentally, those brake rotors are ventilated cast iron units measuring 11.7 inches in diameter.

Up top, a pair of stress bars reinforces the shock towers and triangulates them with the firewall. We can't help thinking that this layout also leaves room for a Subaru top-mount intercooler and hood scoop. Just sayin'.

No, the underside of the engine is not usually this exposed. I removed a broad undertray that was held on with about a dozen bolts and a handful of clips to get this view of the front suspension crossmember, oil pan and exhaust system.

As you can see, a broad heat shield covers the exhaust manifold that spans the car and collects exhaust gasses from each bank of cylinders. From there it feeds through a series of two catalytic converters (yellow) before it heads for the transmission tunnel.

Note to DIY oil changers: it's probably hot down here for quite awhile after you shut off the engine.

Scion and Subaru call this a double wishbone rear suspension, but we can only see the upper wishbone in this view.

And we can only see the upper one from this angle, too.

This is not a double wishbone rear suspension, despite what the initial Scion and Subaru press kits may say. Well, I guess we could say there are two wishbones if we count one from the left and one from the right, but that's not how the game is played.

We've already established there is an upper wishbone (yellow); that makes one. But down below there are two independent lower links (green), each with it's own bushing and pivot axis. There's also a short toe-control link (white) that is parallel to the main lateral link.

While the two lower links may approximate a lower control arm in spirit, they are not a single piece and do not share a common ball joint or pivot axis. Two discreet links like these do not add up to a wishbone. They just don't.

As of this writing, Scion and Subaru have not yet responded to my inquiry about their use of the term "double wishbone" on their spec sheets. I suspect a translation problem somewhere along the line.

And so the 2013 Scion FR-S has a multinlink rear suspension that employs a single uppper control arm and a trio of (aka multiple) links. Not that there's anything wrong with that, of course.

No matter what you call it, the suspension that Scion/Subaru has fitted back here is quite good out on the road.

Here's another view of the Scion FR-S and Subaru BRZ multilink rear suspension: upper wishbone (yellow), toe link (white), two lower links (green).

Another view of the same bits from a different angle. You've probably noticed by now that all the main bits are steel. The car's isn't meant to be expensive and its small size helps keep unsprung weight in check by the mere fact of its tidy dimensions. Still, more could be done. I guess that's what the aftermarket is for.

Here's a series of isolated views of the parts, starting with the upper wishbone. You can just make out the inner pivots and the subframe they attach to under the lip of the red unibody.

The toe-link has an eccentric cam at it's inner end (yellow) for easy static toe-in adjustment.

This view shows that toe link eccentric (yellow) fron another angle. What is doesn't show is an eccentric at the inner end of the main lateral link (green) for camber adjustment, because there isn't any.

Yes, it seems there's no factory provision for camber adjustment on a car that's likely to be lowered, modified, slalomed and otherwise track-driven by enthusiasts around the world. The aftermarket has already filled this void.

The beefy main lateral link carries most of the important vertical and lateral loads. The FR-S's 14 mm stabilizer bar conects close to the middle at something like a 0.55-to-1 motion ratio, while the coil-over spring and shock assembly attaches farther outboard at 0.75-to-1 or thereabouts.

Rear braking is handled by a single-piston sliding caliper and 11.5-inch ventilated cast-iron rotors. The prominent hat section indicates the parking brake is a secondary drum brake hidden inside.

That's a Torsen limited slip differential right there. It hangs from four bushings, with the rear pair separated into distinct functions: the right one supports it in the vertical direction and the left one regulates side-to-side motions.

The FR-S rides or 215/45R17 Primacy HP summer tires that come straight off the Prius options sheet. The US-spec Prius doesn't offer them because summer tires are taboo on mass-market cars here in the US. But they do exist in other places, such as Europe, so the FR-S was able to parts-bin them.

They're not high-performance summer tires by any means--they've got smallish tread blocks and numerous grooves to supress noise. Still, they work surprisingly well right out of the box. Any effort on Scion's part to make something more exotic may have been wasted, because they know that a large number of FR-S buyers are simply going to bin whatever the car comes with and buy something wider within the first month anyway.

The mounted assemblies are not terribly heavy at 40.6 pounds apiece.

Those of you shopping for wheels may want to know that the stock ones are 17-by-7 inches with 48mm of offset. There seems to be room for more tire under the Scion's fenders, which have lips that feel like they're pre-rolled in the most critical area.
The following 3 users liked this post by chill_dog:
civicdrivr (06-28-2012), Costco (07-27-2012), ttribe (06-28-2012)
Old 06-28-2012, 03:47 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Great post!!!
Old 07-27-2012, 03:30 PM

If that clears the hood.....
Old 07-27-2012, 04:27 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,973 Likes on 2,648 Posts
There was a blue one in front my local dealer (white one sold) and for just a split second...and only a split second I thought about trading in the challenger for one.

But then I slapped myself as Im never selling that car unless Im forced to.
Old 07-27-2012, 04:35 PM

Youve got a badass car anyway.
Old 07-27-2012, 04:38 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,973 Likes on 2,648 Posts
I REALLY like the FR-S...and it keeps growing on me...I would definitely have one in my garage if I was rich.
Old 07-31-2012, 01:42 AM
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
I just checked the local dealer's page. They say four, FOUR, just arrived. But they're all automatics. That's just mean.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Carraway
I just checked the local dealer's page. They say four, FOUR, just arrived. But they're all automatics. That's just mean.
Yea, the majority that came into my dealer were autos as well. I dont get that. Supposedly 70% of the sales are manuals...
Old 08-04-2012, 12:43 AM

Wheels: Blonix M8 by ISS Forged
Wheel Size: 19 x 9 (front) 19 x 10.5 (rear)
Wheel Finish: Light-tinted Clear
Tires: Hankook Ventus V12 Evo
Front Tires: 235/35/19
Rear Tires: 275/30/19
Susp- KW V3 Coilovers

I don't plan on running anything larger then 18" due to weight concerns, but that looks amazing.
CLtotheTL32 (08-20-2012)
Old 08-04-2012, 12:11 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
That looks great!!!
Old 08-04-2012, 03:01 PM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Received 810 Likes on 522 Posts
very clean!
Old 08-10-2012, 06:44 PM

Old 08-10-2012, 06:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 439 Likes on 322 Posts
did you call???
civicdrivr (08-10-2012)
Old 08-10-2012, 06:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 574 Likes on 409 Posts
It looks like power kicks in arond 5-6k thats a bit high... i wonder if thats on stock internals
Old 08-10-2012, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by StreetKA
It looks like power kicks in arond 5-6k thats a bit high... i wonder if thats on stock internals
Stock engine, 9psi, on E85 and a stand alone. 800cc or 850cc port injectors and running the direct injection too. The DI really helps.

The AP kit is at 10 psi running a conservative tune with 278whp and a FLAT torque curve. They made 290whp with more timing but they wanted to be safe.

There are a few others coming out with turbo and supercharger kits. Things are really picking up with SEMA coming up soon. This chassis is going to big.

Last edited by civicdrivr; 08-10-2012 at 08:42 PM.
StreetKA (08-10-2012)
Old 08-10-2012, 11:22 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
wheel setup looks gorgeous on that black FR-S.

would like to see some concave action on that turbo FR-S too...
Old 08-11-2012, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by Costco
would like to see some concave action on that turbo FR-S too...
Once I find a nice, lightweight set of concave wheels Im giving the CEs the boot.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:28 PM

Toyota New Zealand has a humorous ad campaign:

<iframe width="800" height="450" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/JaBcipLQIog" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="800" height="450" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/kcl8P6rXJ9E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="800" height="450" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/u3jAzvWRnTQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 08-20-2012, 04:40 PM

Old 10-04-2012, 01:32 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Scion FR-S, Subaru BRZ facing rough idling complaints

A rough idling issue is plaguing some Scion FR-S and Subaru BRZ coupes. Apparently limited to early examples of the two-door twins, both Toyota and Subaru chalk up the problem to a software glitch, but some owners contend something else could be at play.

According to Toyota, the problem with the Scion FR-S stems from a faulty connection between the engine control unit (ECU) and the engine itself. When the so-called “handshake” between the ECU and the engine experiences problems, the system can throw error codes, resulting in rough idling or even stalling.

Toyota claims that the FR-S' ECU settings become frozen after the first 100 miles, so the Japanese automaker is offering two solution to the problem – if the the vehicle has less than 100 miles on it, an ECU re-flash is required; if the car has more than 100 miles on the clock, Toyota will install an new ECU.

Interestingly, Subaru has a different take on the issue. While Subaru agrees the problem lies with the handshake between the ECU and the engine, the automaker doesn't believe mileage is a factor. As such, Subaru is only offering ECU re-flashes for the BRZ.

"This is not a mileage-dependent condition. No replacement of the ECU is needed at any mileage to rectify the issue. The ECU re-flash is the fix. There is not a defect concerning the ECU," Subaru spokesman Dominick Infante told Automotive News.

However, not all FR-S and BRZ owners are satisfied with the automakers' remedies. Several have reported ongoing problems even after an ECU fix. Moreover, some say mechanical components like camshaft bearing, cam gears and actuators are being replaced by dealers in order to solve the problem.

Fan site FT86club has more than 100 registered complaints about the problem, but Toyota and Subaru have declined to say how many cars might be affected by the issue.
http://www.leftlanenews.com/scion-fr...omplaints.html
civicdrivr (10-04-2012)
Old 10-04-2012, 02:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Hmm... so now there's an idle issue along w/ the taillight condensation issue. Wonder what other issues are going to crop up. My dad always used to say "Never buy the first year of a new model" :killer:
Old 10-04-2012, 02:27 PM

The taillight issue was addressed at the end of May. Some cars built prior to that may still have the issue, in which case, just bring it to the dealer and get a new one.

Luckily I havent had this idle issue. But Im keeping an eye on it.

There are some first year issues with the car. Theres a complaints forum here:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72
GreenMonster (10-04-2012)
Old 10-04-2012, 03:59 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Early adopters always get the gremlins.
civicdrivr (10-04-2012)
Old 10-04-2012, 04:09 PM