Toyota: 86 News

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2022, 10:18 AM

Received 5,431 Likes on 3,717 Posts
^ I thought about that too. Doubt Toyota refunds that, too.
Old 08-04-2022, 11:48 AM
Ex-OEM King

Received 6,011 Likes on 3,959 Posts
Well the burden of proof is on the dealership or manufacturer to show evidence that the activity in question specifically caused the failure. That means they'd need to show evidence of how their design does not perform well under the conditions causing the failure and the owner was using the car outside of the specified window in which its designed to operate...meaning they'd have to admit in court that the car marketed as a track car is, in fact, not supposed to go on a track.

Granted all of this would require lots of lawyers, money, and court time but it would probably work out in a settlement before you got Toyota to admit any of this lol.
The following users liked this post:
04WDPSeDaN (08-04-2022)
Old 08-04-2022, 01:49 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
Originally Posted by 04WDPSeDaN
Not everyone is honest and up front about such things. I question how someone would take the time in their day to dig up anything on a customer. Unless he's well known in the community and someone at that dealership follows him on social media, other wise seems suspect.

I remember way back when the 3rd gen TL dashboards were cracking, once my dash cracked I called Acura Corporate. I explained my dashboard cracked and it's a common issue. Acura's response "Oh we've never heard of this happening.. You must be the 1st!" Mind you, this was happening since 2007 and my dash cracked in 2015.

Live and learn, he's not the 1st and won't be the last.

Sounds about right. Dealerships are set on doing anything to protect their profits.

This unfortunate individual was denied warranty work due to wheels spacers. The spacers he has installed are from "Future Classic" which is the same brand I purchased my spacers from. They are top quality and hub centric spacers. That's why I only bring my BMW to Park Ave. I have a great relationship with the advisor and service manager. I'm up front and they know what's been done to both of my BMW's

https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1940194

Yah that was my initial thought too.... Why would anyone look him up if he didnt give them a reason to.... i mean unless that guy likes him or something .... but then again he probably would not have brought it up if that was the case.
Old 08-04-2022, 02:09 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,323 Likes on 4,900 Posts
Mitsubishi was doing similar stuff with the Evo and autocrossers. The names and vehicles are public information and can be found easily.
Old 08-08-2022, 12:23 PM
Race Director

Received 630 Likes on 506 Posts
The story of an unlucky Toyota GR86 owner became viral last week after he blew his engine. At first, Toyota refused to repair it under warranty because of a picture shared on social media. After public outcry, Toyota finally decided to offer a free engine rebuild.
6 photos

For Blake Alvarado, the guy who saw his 2022 Toyota GR86 left powerless because of a well-known problem with the FA24 engines, the story had a happy ending. The social media campaign he started pressured Toyota to take a stand, and he was announced that his car’s engine would be rebuilt for free. But for countless other GR86 owners with similar problems, the struggle is still ongoing. Toyota still does not budge from its weird warranty conditions for North America, which prohibit using the GR86 in racing events.

Although the Toyota GR86 (and other GR-branded vehicles, including the GR Supra) is marketed as a car for racing enthusiasts, Toyota doesn’t want its U.S. customers to actually go racing. The North American warranty conditions exclude damage that results from racing. In contrast, the European version specifically says that attending “Track Days or similar events” will not invalidate the vehicle’s warranty. In the case of Blake Alvarado, his warranty was void the moment a Toyota representative saw a picture of him drifting the car on social media.

After public outcry, Toyota contacted Alvarado and offered a free engine rebuild. Nevertheless, Toyota did nothing to change the situation of dozens of other GR86 owners. Many reported a clogged oil pickup tube because the factory uses too much RTV (room-temperature-vulcanizing) silicone sealant. This is why Alvarado’s engine experienced a failed rod bearing in cylinder number four.

“The public response ultimately brought to light the elephant in the room that is marketing vs warranty policy,” wrote Alvarado in a follow-up post. “This is something that won’t get solved overnight, but I would like to see Toyota regain the trust of the enthusiast market it intends to capture with their GR brand. A step toward this would be reaffirming that track days and similar events should NOT void a valid warranty claim for a manufacturer defect.”

In a mail to Carscoops, Toyota admitted it’s not changing its North American customers’ warranty conditions. Instead, the Japanese carmaker states that the “warranty claims are evaluated on a case-by-case basis.” Even though racing falls under these conditions, Toyota should acknowledge that it not only promoted the GR86 with racetrack videos but outright encouraged people to use the car on a racetrack. Denying the warranty because of this is unfair, to say the least.

The clogged oil pickup tube has nothing to do with racing, although the oil starvation condition might worsen while racing. This is a well-known problem with the car’s engine, which is thoroughly documented. The forums and social media are littered with posts about this problem. Toyota should not only repair the affected engines on warranty, but they should issue a recall to verify and remedy the problem. This is what a responsible carmaker that cares for its clients and reputation would do.
Toyota Caves In to Public Pressure, Will Rebuild Broken GR86 Engine for Free - autoevolution
Old 07-12-2024, 11:43 AM

https://www.netcarshow.com/toyota/20...akone_edition/

A blast from the past is returning for the 2025 model year. Paying tribute to the Hakone Turnpike in Japan, not far from Tokyo, Toyota is reintroducing the GR86 Hakone special edition. Born to hit the streets in style, the GR86 Hakone special edition is sure to turn heads with its bold Ridge Green exterior color.

Built off the GR86 Premium grade, the Hakone special edition will have a choice of a six-speed manual or automatic transmission and will be powered by a 2.4-liter, 4-cylinder boxer engine generating 228 horsepower and 184 lb.-ft. The special edition will feature 18-inch satin bronze-finished wheels, a color-keyed duck-tail spoiler, black accents and a Hakone badge.

On the inside, customers will find Ultrasuede® sport seats with tan leather trim and stitching. A Hakone special edition shift knob with bronze accents sits front and center and a GR special edition plaque adds to the unique look and feel.

Brembo® Brakes and SACHS Dampers come standard on the Hakone special edition providing a stellar driving experience with industry-leading features.

There will only be 860 units produced for the U.S. market for 2025. Customers can expect the Hakone special edition and all GR86 grades to arrive at Toyota dealerships in the Fall of 2024.

Toyota GAZOO Racing Inspired Driving Performance

The GR engineering team is always looking to take learnings from the track and include them on GR cars. For 2025, GR86 shock absorbers have been re-tuned to help improve handling response and a sense of ground contact. Throttle mapping revised to increase the ease of "blipping," an action commonly used when performing heel-toe downshifts in a motorsport setting. Furthermore, engine torque control has been adopted to provide a more direct throttle response and linearity, which in turn improves ease of control at all speeds. The Electric Power Steering has also been re-tuned for a more responsive handling feel and an improved sense of direct contact with the road.

The GR86 Hakone special edition comes standard with SACHS Dampers and Brembo® Brakes. A Performance Package is also available as an option on other 2025 GR86 grades that include these features. The SACHS Dampers are filled with high-pressure nitrogen and oil and are designed to absorb vibrations across a wide range of speeds, maximize ground contact, and support firm, stable steering, while also balancing road feedback and ride comfort. The red-painted Brembo 4-piston front and 2-piston rear brake calipers clamp down on smooth surfaced 12.8 x 1.3-in front rotors, with 12.4 x .79-in. rotors in the rear. The brake pad area is 11.6-in2 in the front and 4.9-in2 in the rear.

The dampers and brakes complement the GR86's chassis, which is known for its taut, responsive feel. Crafted from a combination of high-strength steel, hot-stamped steel, and aluminum, each material in the frame is strategically placed to bring drivers a balance of roll and pitch that maximizes control. Up front it uses diagonal cross members and high-strength fasteners to join the front suspension and frame together. At the rear, a full ring structure and high-strength fasteners connect the frame and suspension mounts. For additional reinforcement, structural adhesive has been added throughout the underbody. Altogether creating a cohesive, connected frame.

Lightweight and Fun

All GR86 models pack in modern engineering, tech, and convenience - while sticking to the lightweight sports car roots.

Weighing in at just 2,811 pounds for the manual transmission equipped Base grade model, and at 2,851 pounds for the automatic version, the GR86 is among the lightest sports cars on the market. An aluminum hood, front fenders and roof panel help keep the weight down on the body. While details such as the use of structural adhesives in the frame and seats that are over six pounds lighter than the prior generation 86, help save precious ounces in the name of maximum control.

The naturally aspirated 2.4-liter FA-24 engine delivers 228 horsepower and 184 lb.-ft. of torque and is tuned so that peak torque arrives at 3,700 RPM, resulting in a responsive and powerful driving experience. Zero-to-60 acceleration comes in at 6.1 seconds for the 6-speed manual transmission, and 6.6 seconds for the available six-speed electronically controlled automatic transmission (ECT-i). With either transmission, the GR86 comes equipped with a Torsen® limited-slip rear differential for enhanced traction while cornering.

Sports car purists will love GR86's 6-speed manual transmission. With the push of a button, drivers can engage Track mode or switch off Vehicle Stability Control (VSC). And on the automatic transmission GR86, additional clutch discs and a high-capacity torque converter allow for smooth delivery of the 2.4-liter engine's higher power and torque.

On the inside of GR86, drivers will experience a low-slung, driver-focused cockpit with digital instrument panel, push-button start, HVAC system with LED dials and piano-key switches, and a leather-wrapped steering wheel with integrated controls for the audio system. For the 6-speed automatic, steering-wheel-mounted paddle shifters offer enthusiasts a dynamic driving experience. The manual downshift mode has also increased by maximum 1600 RPM to allow for a higher RPM downshift. Drivers can choose between Normal, Sport or Snow modes. When in Sport mode, the transmission senses brake and accelerator operation and vehicle behavior to automatically select the optimal gear, bringing drivers the control they want.

An 8-inch touchscreen multimedia system with a six-speaker audio system comes standard on the Base grade and an eight-speaker system is standard on the Hakone special edition and Premium grade. For seating, the Premium grade comes with Ultrasuede® and leather-trim with black stitching, six-way adjustable front seats with two-level heating. The Base grade has six-way adjustable black G-embossed fabric with sport fabric side bolsters. Rear seats include Ultrasuede trim on the Premium and sport fabric on the Base grade.

GR86 Safety & Connected Services

All Toyota GR86 models come standard with an Active Safety Suite. On Automatic Transmission models this suite includes Pre-Collision Braking System, Pre-Collision Throttle Management, Adaptive Cruise Control, Lead Vehicle Start Alert, Lane Departure Warning with Sway Warning and Automatic High Beams. Manual Transmission models include Pre-Collision Braking System, Adaptive Cruise Control, Lane Departure and Sway Warning, Lead Vehicle Start Alert, and Rear Sonar Warning. An anti-theft system with engine immobilizer and alarm are also standard.

Toyota's Star Safety System™ also comes standard on all models, which includes Vehicle Stability Control (VSC), Traction Control (TRAC), Anti-lock Brake System (ABS), Electronic Brake-Force Distribution (EBD) and Brake Assist (BA). It also includes Smart Stop Technology® (SST), Vehicle Stability Control (VSC), Track Mode and Hill Start Assist Control (HAC). Additional safety features include LATCH (Lower Anchors and Tethers for Children) with lower anchors on outboard rear seats and tether anchors on all rear seats and a Tire Pressure Monitor System (TPMS). Seven airbags are standard on all models, including a driver's knee airbag.

Old 07-12-2024, 11:44 AM

The puddle lights are dumb, IMO. But otherwise, I quite like this.
I recall a green earlier model, with a baby wing spoiler that looked great too. Saw a few around here & think it's a great color for the car.
civicdrivr (07-12-2024)
Old 07-12-2024, 12:30 PM

Received 2,787 Likes on 1,987 Posts
Does this have to do with the rev hang thing I hear the BRZ/GR86s have with lower speed driving?

Throttle mapping revised to increase the ease of "blipping," an action commonly used when performing heel-toe downshifts in a motorsport setting.

​​​​​​​that green tho
Old 07-12-2024, 12:34 PM

Maybe more that it lessened the inherent 'lag' with an electronic vs cable throttle. If I had to guess.
I don't recall any real rev hang like some of the plebian Honda manuals had in the 1G BRZ [bone stock] I drove a few times, coworker always tossed me his keys when we had a group outing.
civicdrivr (07-12-2024)
Old 07-12-2024, 12:42 PM

The FA20 was lazy, not sure if the new engine was the same. Maybe that's what was being thought of as rev hang?
Old 07-12-2024, 02:20 PM

I only had any experience in 1 example. Seemed peppy enough, compared to my F150 at the time.

Rev hang, in the Hondas, you'd clutch in & it would hold RPM for a second before it dropped & it made for jerky shifting. Felt it in a 6MT HRV & a 10G Accord Sport.
Old 07-12-2024, 02:53 PM
Ex-OEM King

Received 6,011 Likes on 3,959 Posts
Originally Posted by civicdrivr
The FA20 was lazy, not sure if the new engine was the same. Maybe that's what was being thought of as rev hang?
Rev hang is what happens when you accelerate, let off the gas to push clutch in, and it doesn't drop revs. It...hangs.
Old 07-12-2024, 09:50 PM

Right. I equate that to laziness lol